Video: The obligatory “Stossel on global warming” clip; Update: Icecaps melting at an “alarming” rate?

posted at 2:39 pm on October 21, 2007 by Allahpundit

I’m under the weather so this’ll have to suffice for awhile. Lots of requests for it have been coming in. Thanks to the Jawas, those orders can now be filled. Enjoy.

Update: Stossel lied, polar bears died?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m under the weather

I feel your pain AP, somebody rear ended me Friday night, I had to have five staples put in my head, I’ve had a monster of a headache every since.

doriangrey on October 21, 2007 at 2:48 PM

I’m under the weather so this’ll have to suffice for awhile.

Yeesh…how hard is it to blog when you’re sick?

Kiddin’, of course (it was satire!). Hope you’re feeling better. And you will, as soon as you stop questioning The Goracle.

flipflop on October 21, 2007 at 2:50 PM

I’m under the weather

Geez, AP. First the wisdom teeth and now a late summer cold?

You’ll try anything to garner some sympathy from MM to finally get that IPhone.

Well, it won’t work. She’s a hard-hearted neo-con, man.

BacaDog on October 21, 2007 at 2:54 PM

I remember seeing this. Stossel is a voice of reason.

Chicken little syndrome

Wounded duck syndrome – halp me halp me!

And most idiots believe this load of carbon crap.

Just flush it and clean the bowel.

Rubbish indeed.

“The activists kill everything.”

Kini on October 21, 2007 at 2:55 PM

Has stossel done a special on GW yet? If not, he should. There is a lot of material that cannot covered in the 20/20 format.

liberrocky on October 21, 2007 at 2:56 PM

Oh, and I hope you feel better soon AP.

Chicken Soup does help! And not that Campbells crap, Progresso’s the stuff you want. Short of home made.

Kini on October 21, 2007 at 2:57 PM

doriangrey on October 21, 2007 at 2:48 PM

*ugh* Hope you’re on the mend. But look on the bright side…if you can leave the staples in long enough, you can use ‘em for Halloween!

flipflop on October 21, 2007 at 2:59 PM

I don’t believe this hack, Gore is a god and can’t be wrong. We people are bad for this planet, especially us war mongering Republican Americans, who don’t care for the planet, kids, or anything good!

abinitioadinfinitum on October 21, 2007 at 3:01 PM

Kini on October 21, 2007 at 2:55 PM

I find interesting that Stossell offered to invite Gorezilla to debate these points. And Gorezilla refused. Intellectual cowardice!

Gatordoug on October 21, 2007 at 3:03 PM

doriangrey on October 21, 2007 at 2:48 PM

I hope you don’t develop such an open mind that your brains fall out, and become a Democrat. :)

abinitioadinfinitum on October 21, 2007 at 3:04 PM

abinitioadinfinitum on October 21, 2007 at 3:01 PM

Did you forget to /sarcasim
???

;-)

Kini on October 21, 2007 at 3:05 PM

What kills me about the climate change freaks is that there are two good reasons for doing at least some of the things they want done:

1. Cleaner air
2. Reduced dependency on foreign oil

All the other crap is just noise, but there are people (like Gore) making zillions on this anthropogenic climate change nonsense.

flipflop on October 21, 2007 at 3:05 PM

Kini on October 21, 2007 at 3:05 PM

who?
Me?
sarcastic?
Noooooooooooooo
;:- )

abinitioadinfinitum on October 21, 2007 at 3:08 PM

Gatordoug on October 21, 2007 at 3:03 PM

Yup, I remember that and the 20/20 episode on GW.
I’ll only watch 20/20 when Stossel’s on.

Otherwise I commit visual Seppuku watching American Idolts

Kini on October 21, 2007 at 3:11 PM

flipflop on October 21, 2007 at 3:05 PM

IMO that is why you see a lot more politicians, even some Republicans jumping on board, at least enough to get some of that $$$$

abinitioadinfinitum on October 21, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Kini on October 21, 2007 at 3:11 PM

What a complete fraud Gore is. Yet, the minions follow his every word. They want to buy that we are all doomed I suppose.

Gatordoug on October 21, 2007 at 3:15 PM

The left is just like radical islam, in that they have started brain washing our most precious people first, our children! I call it child abuse!

abinitioadinfinitum on October 21, 2007 at 3:21 PM

A simple question to the GW belivers…., Prove It!

But for the godless, faith in GW is a stong master for the weak minded.

Try believing in yourselves and find a real religion.
You’ll do yourselves, society and the environment much better.

In short, get a life!

Kini on October 21, 2007 at 3:24 PM

Fresh after his nobel win, algore jetted to here to Scottsdale to party like a rock star.
I thought one of his messages was to try to consume locally, yet read the menu. Food was being flown in from around the world to satisfy the gluttonous bacchanal.
And my wife got on my case the other day that the eggs I had just bought weren’t local!

redshirt on October 21, 2007 at 3:24 PM

The only global warming I want to see is in Saudi Arabia….

Tim Burton on October 21, 2007 at 3:31 PM

I liked the little kids.

“Are there people who say we WON’T all die from Global Warming?”

“Yeeees.”

“Well, is it possible they might be right?”

“NOOOOOOOOO!”

“How do you know they’re all wrong?”

“‘Cause I saw it in a movie.”

Somebody point to me how their “reasoning” differs from that of older liberals.

logis on October 21, 2007 at 3:33 PM

redshirt on October 21, 2007 at 3:24 PM

HA HA HA!!!
I guess that’s better than being asked who cut the cheese!

Hypocrisy will be Gore’s legacy, in a few years.

“We’ll look back on all of this in 10 or 15 years and realise how foolish it was,”

Kini on October 21, 2007 at 3:33 PM

redshirt on October 21, 2007 at 3:24 PM

I saw the Ben Gleck show on that dinner, it was truly unbelievable hypocrisy on Gores part. Him and the multi millionaire crowd he is in don’t even notice things like that but YOU have to stop driving your SUV.

abinitioadinfinitum on October 21, 2007 at 3:34 PM

The global warming hoax has been slowly losing steam, as its ridiculousness becomes more obvious and its disciples more bellicose. The question is: what will the Left invent to replace it as its vehicle of choice to force socialism upon the world?

Halley on October 21, 2007 at 3:35 PM

Kini on October 21, 2007 at 3:33 PM

Do you think we will be worried about the coming doom of the new ice age again, like in the 1970′s?

abinitioadinfinitum on October 21, 2007 at 3:39 PM

1. Cleaner air
2. Reduced dependency on foreign oil
flipflop on October 21, 2007 at 3:05 PM

So the moonbats will stop blocking nuclear power now?

Not in a million years. Read the Kyoto Accord; the only Global Warming “cure” these idiots suggest is for the US to split its GNP with Communist countries.

logis on October 21, 2007 at 3:42 PM

There’s only one way to stop global warming and that’s to stop global farting.

The future of our children depends on it.

Mike Honcho on October 21, 2007 at 3:48 PM

The Earth is warming, the Arctic is shrinking?
Hmmm, that must be why the Antarctic ice shelf is growing and the southern hemisphere is cooling.

After all the media showing ice melting the ocean should be higher and its not.

I wonder how, with my feeble cognitive ability, I can conceive that the Earth’s inclination could have changed say maybe one half (or less) to one degree, placing the northern ice in slightly more direct sunlight and the southern ice in slightly less, that others in much higher places than I could you know…get a clue.

Or would that be…inconvenient.

Of course, IMHO.

Speakup on October 21, 2007 at 3:49 PM

That got national coverage? I didn’t know that. Any links to it anywhere?
And how did you know I have an SUV? You following me or something? HA!

redshirt on October 21, 2007 at 3:49 PM

Do you think we will be worried about the coming doom of the new ice age again, like in the 1970’s?

abinitioadinfinitum on October 21, 2007 at 3:39 PM

Certainly not! Mainly because of the hysteria against wearing Fur.

I do remember the Global Cooling hype, but somehow praying to a warmer false God is easier than praying with chattering teeth.

Kini on October 21, 2007 at 3:57 PM

redshirt on October 21, 2007 at 3:49 PM

No link unless it is on his website.
and yes I’m following you, I belong to the GW enforcement agency

abinitioadinfinitum on October 21, 2007 at 3:58 PM

doriangrey on October 21, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Damn dude, ouch. But look on the bright side, all you need is some green facepaint and you’ll make a kickass Frankenstein for Halloween.

Bad Candy on October 21, 2007 at 3:59 PM

doriangrey on October 21, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Please your Honor, I know I’m late for jury duty but they wouldn’t let me through the metal detector.

Bailiff…

Speakup on October 21, 2007 at 4:04 PM

Gore needs to take up Ted Kennedy’s hobby, drinking. Only he needs to do it in solitude, kind of like after Bush whooped him for the Presidency. Maybe he could even grow a scraggly beard.

abinitioadinfinitum on October 21, 2007 at 4:07 PM

Let’s see, 2 mile-thick ice sheets over the entire Northern Hemisphere, or, milder days at the beach?

(Even if the beach is a few feet further inland.)

Gee, that’s a tough one.

The Climate Always Changes.

Just be glad it’s going toward warmer and not the other way.

Glaciers grinding your cities to powder sucks.

profitsbeard on October 21, 2007 at 4:08 PM

The debate IS over.

Al Gore lost the election and continues to be a loser.

End of story.

Hening on October 21, 2007 at 4:12 PM

A wierd thought occurred to me. What if we were worried about global cooling instead of warming. Would the alarmists be demanding we all drive more and increase the levels of carbon in the atmosphere?
Would conserving be condemned?
What was the prescription in the 70s when that hysteria occurred?

redshirt on October 21, 2007 at 4:14 PM

Get well soon.

ThackerAgency on October 21, 2007 at 4:23 PM

I sense the tide turning on the global warming debate. Things are heating up as more and more scientists step up to oppose Gore’s demagoguery. Soon, I believe there will be a storm of “deniers,” too large for the lame stream media to ignore. John Stossel is a glorious sunny day on the otherwise cloudy horizon of those who call themselves journalists. I am always so surprised that ABC runs his stuff, as by comparison it makes his fellow journalists look like they’re spewing so much…hot air!

Rational Thought on October 21, 2007 at 4:33 PM

doriangrey on October 21, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Well, take care friend. Kick back for a few days.

Peace and cheers!

csdeven on October 21, 2007 at 4:51 PM

So, how many tons of carbon emissions have these tree-hugging hippies created and will create to tell us to stop creating carbon emissions?

Morons.

madmonkphotog on October 21, 2007 at 4:54 PM

Excellent double entendre AP. I do hope you get well but you must at least be on the mend if you can come up with the “under the weather” statement coupled with this global warming.

dkeppner on October 21, 2007 at 5:06 PM

Would conserving be condemned?
What was the prescription in the 70s when that hysteria occurred?

Time and Newsweek worried about exactly that. You have to read between the lines for the prescription, because the press bias wasn’t as out front as it is these days, but basically “particulates” are blamed. So the solution to global cooling was pretty much the same at root as the solution to global warming: de-industrialization. Isn’t that an interesting coincidence? Almost as though the advocates are starting from the desired action and trying to find an appropriate crisis to force it.

If we took global warming seriously, we’d first be clearing the way to build lots of nuke plants, trying to replace carbon based power generation. That we’re not doing that is instructive.

Splunge on October 21, 2007 at 5:19 PM

Would conserving be condemned?
What was the prescription in the 70s when that hysteria occurred?
redshirt on October 21, 2007 at 4:14 PM

If liberal politics followed science, then that’s the way it would have worked. But for liberals, the conclusion always comes first. Everything else flows from that.

As Robert Heinlein said, “Beware of the ‘Black Swan’ fallacy. Deductive logic is tautological; there is no way to get a new truth out of it, and it manipulates false statements as readily as true ones. If you fail to remember this, it can trip you — with perfect logic.”

Conservatives look at the world around us and try to find meaning out of the apparent chaos. For us, facts lead to conclusions, which are constantly re-evaluated. That is both our greatest strength, and our greatest weakness.

Liberals see the world from the opposite perspective; from the top down. They hold beliefs based on their feelings. What we think of as BEING right is completely irrelevant to liberals; all they care about is FEELING right. This means achieving a perceived consensus among one another, and then doing everything necessary to defend that safety blanket. The facts can change (or even, as in this case, completely reverse) but that doesn’t affect the conclusions – which must always remain the same.

logis on October 21, 2007 at 5:19 PM

Not a fan of ABC but good for letting the report go forward

KBird on October 21, 2007 at 5:20 PM

Bad science cannot go unchallenged. John Stossel is doing a good job.

As for Al the Gore, well, he is just another power hungry democrap. He’ll grab for the power where ever it’s in reach. And having a pretend crisis proves he’s never grown up!

Zorro on October 21, 2007 at 5:28 PM

Stossel has been having several “Gimme a Break” stories, all good

Kini on October 21, 2007 at 5:37 PM

I’m under the weather

Get well soon.

aengus on October 21, 2007 at 5:38 PM

They’re shoving this down our middle school student’s throats. The democratic indoctrination of the young.

voiceofreason on October 21, 2007 at 5:46 PM

Don’t worry, my Middle School students get a big dose of “real” reality with me. :-)

Mojave Mark on October 21, 2007 at 5:53 PM

AP,

Hope you get rest and feel better:)

terryannonline on October 21, 2007 at 5:54 PM

Just two more things for me to say on this…

1. The genius behind the climate change scam is that the believers will never realize they’ve been had. The scammers won’t be exposed for another couple hundred years, so they can profit now and never fear prosecution for fraud.

2. Science by consensus (i.e., the IPCC) isn’t science. It’s politics.

flipflop on October 21, 2007 at 5:54 PM

I supposed that might include communist China, which either has just passed the US in CO2 emissions, or will do so in the near future. But then, considering our trade deficit, we’re already sharing our GNP with the Chicoms.

Bigfoot on October 21, 2007 at 6:07 PM

The Global Warmers are Socialist / Communists. You all know how they handle opposition in Communist Countries. Similar to the way Harry Reid dealt with Rush Limbaugh.

StuLongIsland on October 21, 2007 at 6:16 PM

Come on you deniers, the science is in. The debate is over. GLOBAL WARMING IS A HOAX!

Can anyone think of any way that we can lock up Al Gore, “global warming” alarmist politicians and scientists, etc. when the hoax is revealed when the cooling trend begins?

RightWinged on October 21, 2007 at 6:21 PM

Funny how liberals are so “open minded to debate” until it is in direct opposition to their mantra.

If the temperature has raised one degree fahrenheit in the last hundred years, even if we are to blame (hah!), wasn’t it a fair trade for the biggest economical, industrial, medical, and scientific advancments we have achieved since 1900? Our infant mortality rate is at an all time low, and they want us to give up and retreat in our lifestyles. These liberals refuse to allow Africans to advance their lives with electricity and western convenience and they romanticize the African plight lifestyle of using dried dung to heat their ramshackle mud huts.

Liberals are absolute commie idiots.

Black Adam on October 21, 2007 at 6:27 PM

John Stossel is awesome. I love his segments.

Troy Rasmussen on October 21, 2007 at 6:29 PM

Gatordoug on October 21, 2007 at 3:03 PM

It isn’t so much that Gore is a coward; that’s a given. He refuses to debate because he’s just a salesman and an intellectual lightweight. He hasn’t got the first clue what he’s talking about, he just parrots bullet points from lefty knucklehead “environmentalists”.

The greatest example of mass projection in our political world today is the people on the take from the left accusing scientists who challenge the party line on global warming of being in the pocket of the oil industry.

Jaibones on October 21, 2007 at 6:30 PM

Never mind Gore practices what he preaches AGAINST.
Never mind Gore’s faux passion for the earth and children is a handy source of income and a great excuse for feel good tax increases.
Never mind Gore is so terrified of debate he has declared discussion over and ran home with whats left of his marbles.
Ya gotta kinda admit, to a certain extent, they crafted the issue insanely interesting… they can blame ANY weather condition(or lack there of) on Global Climate Warming Change Psychosis.

christophercube on October 21, 2007 at 6:35 PM

Stossel lied, polar bears died?

Stosssel didn’t lie. He acknowledges that the Earth is warming.

The debate is over what’s causing it. Stossel, along with many people and myself included, go with historical warming trends.

Good Lt on October 21, 2007 at 6:40 PM

So I’ve been reading that the South of France and some areas of Italy have had their first October frosts in decades. That isn’t supposed to happen with Global Warming. Each year is supposed to be warmer than the last, by an ever increasing amount until we all burst into flames … or something.

crosspatch on October 21, 2007 at 6:42 PM

Oh and it looks like LATE frosts have damaged some of New Zealand’s wine crop. Something like the loss of 5 to 10 percent of NZ Chardonnay and a lesser amount of Pino Noir.

crosspatch on October 21, 2007 at 6:45 PM

6 to 10,000 years ago the SAHARA DESERT was a tropical garden and forest…with cattle.
It’s a desert now, and we did NOT do it.

shooter on October 21, 2007 at 6:46 PM

crosspatch on October 21, 2007 at 6:42 PM

Silly denier! That’s why during this time of year it’s referred to as “climate change”. It’s only global warming during heat waves. Like the drought in the southeast right now… that’s global warming. The frosts you speak of, that’s “climate change”. It’s all the same, but we (global warmists) have to use a term that doesn’t make us look like giant a-holes when trying to tie cold temps to what we usually call “global warming”.

RightWinged on October 21, 2007 at 6:47 PM

PS – The WaPo article, relentlessly focused on amplifying AlGore’s mantras, buries the record increase in ice this year at the South Pole.

Here is is, near the end of the rant:

The Antarctic has sent complicated signals, she said. The interior is “a monstrously large ice sheet that creates its own microclimate.” Winds circling Antarctica have buffered it, so average temperatures on the continent have changed little in 50 years, and the snowpack in the interior has been growing.

Furthermore, Antarctica’s ice sits on land, and the warming of even the most gloomy predictions is unlikely to make a big dent in that huge ice pack very soon.

Good Lt on October 21, 2007 at 6:48 PM

From the WaPo article in the update:

As the air warms over Canada, Alaska and Siberia, the melting permafrost releases millions of tons of trapped carbon and methane, further accelerating the encroaching disaster.

And there it is…rising carbon levels do follow the rise in temperatures, not the other way around like Gore says.

flipflop on October 21, 2007 at 6:52 PM

Need more evidence that the tide is turning on the GW alarmist position? The hyperbole in your WaPo article update link says it all. It’s got “disaster,” “epic,” “relentless,” “crumbled,” “disintegrated,” “massive,” “accelerating,” “encroaching,” “severe,” “drastic,” “exploit,” “urgent,” “potent,” “catastrophe,” “plunged,” “brutal,” “monstrously.”

For any English teachers out there, print and keep this article. One could not find a better (or worse?) example of the rhetorical strategy of hyperbole. It isn’t a news article, it’s a persuasive essay.

Rational Thought on October 21, 2007 at 6:53 PM

I think I’m gonna move to Greenland when it gets warm enough. There’ll probably be plenty of cheap land and good surf. I’ll leave the Islamists and the Mexicans to the libs in the lower latitudes. Good luck, Gore!

PRCalDude on October 21, 2007 at 7:01 PM

Ones life must me pretty boring if one spends calories watching and waiting for the sky to fall.
Or in Goracles case, watching the thermometer every few minutes.

Remember the legions of Gorebots that were specially trained to deliver the message from atop mount craziness?
What ever happened to them? Ah yes, they’re now employed as operatives deploying the gospel of Gore to the mush of minds K through 12 – thus the academics of reason and facts, have been lost.

Where is said that learning to balance a checkbook isn’t more nobler than predicting the end of the world?

Kini on October 21, 2007 at 7:02 PM

Agh, madness I tell you. Madness!

mram on October 21, 2007 at 7:04 PM

COuple this persuasive essay masquerading as a news article with CNN’s four-hour WE’RE ALL GONNA DIE THE PLANET WILL END TOMORROW UNLESS YOU BE MORE PROGRESSIVE series, and you can see them flailing because they know they’re losing people.

It’s Newsweek’s 1975 boner The Cooling World all over again.

Good Lt on October 21, 2007 at 7:07 PM

It reminds me of an old Bugs Bunny cartoon where the Indian gets smacked with a snowball and asks,

Hey, how come you can make um snowball in July?

Bugs replied, “Because Geronimo, it too cold in the winter”

Noting that the mini-ice age caused millions of deaths due to famine. Shorter growing seasons. Warmer weather will we need to grow all that corn for Ethanol. There’s good in all that is gore (couldn’t resist the Halloween reference).

Kini on October 21, 2007 at 7:18 PM

AlGore Manbearpig saying the debate is over. That must be the reason he will not debate (or even answer any question posed to him about the science).

Sad

On-my-soap-box on October 21, 2007 at 7:19 PM

Update: Icecaps melting at an “alarming” rate?

Um, is it me, or is this article written at least once a week? I can’t count the times I’ve heard that exact sentence.

RightWinged on October 21, 2007 at 7:36 PM

The ages are filled with despots and dictators that have brought slavery, murder and every imaginable evil on it’s people. Some leaders have murdered and enslaved in the name of religions, or to persecute those that are religious, or in the name of an ideology or to create a master race or for a million reasons. The man or government that is ever given power for the purposes or intent to save the planet from global warming, may eventually be capable of anything. Especially if that leader or government is elected on a mandate or given that power freely from the people. For a people that are so easily fooled into thinking the future of the earth is at stake and that only an all powerful government or leader can save it, will be more easily controlled an more willing to ignore abuses or extreme measures. No other policies, no other freedoms or principles,,, no business or religions,,, no peoples, races or even whole nations will be above the “ultimate of mandates.” If even tens of millions of people must be imprisoned and tens of millions more put to death,, will it be to great a sacrifice to save the very planet from destruction,, and to save the human race??

JellyToast on October 21, 2007 at 7:37 PM

RightWinged on October 21, 2007 at 7:36 PM

When winter sets in and the polar icecap starts to refreeze, what then?

Same article, different week.

Kini on October 21, 2007 at 7:39 PM

If the Antarctic is melting

WHERE IS THE WATER?

WHY HAVEN’T WE SEEN THE OCEAN LEVEL RISE AND SWAMP FLORIDA????

drjohn on October 21, 2007 at 7:43 PM

The WP article linked in the update is a joke. Ice is at record levels at the south pole. Obviously it was written by someone with an agenda and no independent research.

Laddy on October 21, 2007 at 7:44 PM

The politicization of science is the greatest achievement of the left, trumping even the Clintons’ politicization of the State Department and and CIA by a vast margin. I suppose one could see it foretold in the Historicist ramblings of Marx, but still, not even Orwell wrote of such an overt and disturbing subversion of reason. The ascendance of the Evangelicals on the right and the Environmental-Socialists on the left, I fear, points the way stridently away from the gifts of the Enlightment and towards the birth of a new Dark Age. Reason is simply hard to find anywhere in politics. While I admit the likes of Gore are the more dangerous right now, if only because they enjoy greater support from the various popular propaganda machines, he and Medievalists like Dobson are but two sides of the same anti-rational coin.

Blacklake on October 21, 2007 at 7:48 PM

. . .

Good Lt on October 21, 2007 at 6:48 PM

But, you see, anything that doesn’t fit the narrative isn’t relevant. Any local record high is treated as evidence of GW, but local lows are just “anecdotal”. Besides, nobody’s going to hear about any record increases in ice, because Britney’s back in court, or Lindsay’s back in rehab, or some young white hottie disappeared, and Greta and Nancy are going wall-to-wall with it….

The Monster on October 21, 2007 at 7:56 PM

WHERE IS THE WATER?

drjohn on October 21, 2007 at 7:43 PM

Evian

Kini on October 21, 2007 at 7:59 PM

No one can argue that the earth isn’t warming, but I’m not convinced it’s man’s fault (and I’m an environmentalist). But even if it is man’s fault, there is no way we can change our energy consumption enough in the next 10 years to do anything about. Especially given the boom in energy usage taking place in the 3rd world as living conditions there improve.

That’s not to say we shouldn’t be looking for alternative energy, and figuring out some way to break free from Middle Eastern oil. But buying carbon offsets and trying reduce carbon output is a waste of resources that could be used to figuring out how man is going to survive if the seas do rise.

BadgerHawk on October 21, 2007 at 8:10 PM

No one can argue that the climate earth isn’t changing warming….

BadgerHawk on October 21, 2007 at 8:10 PM

There, fixed it for ya. Climate changes. Worlds don’t.

Kini on October 21, 2007 at 8:15 PM

Well, there’s nothing to worry about, now. Swatch, the Swiss watch company, is starting up a “green” energy firm. And that well-known energy scientist and business wunderkind, George Clooney, will sit on its board of directors.

flipflop on October 21, 2007 at 8:19 PM

PRCalDude on October 21, 2007 at 7:01 PM

Did you read that link AP put in headlines about Greenland (last week, I think)? I’m thinking I wouldn’t mind moving there myself.

BadgerHawk on October 21, 2007 at 8:23 PM

Kini on October 21, 2007 at 8:15 PM

Come on. Please don’t try to argue that average global temps aren’t rising, that’s just stupid.

My basic point is that I’m not sold on man-made global warming and Gore’s strategy won’t solve the supposed problem, but I’ll phrase the first line as the earth’s climate is warming if it makes you feel better.

BadgerHawk on October 21, 2007 at 8:29 PM

Halley on October 21, 2007 at 3:35 PM

How about the coming bird-flu pandemic that will kill 60% of the global population and collapse the world’s ecomomy unless chickens everywhere are registered and tracked and all global travel/trade is managed by the United Nations?

Herikutsu on October 21, 2007 at 8:46 PM

The Earth is warming, the Arctic is shrinking?

After all the media showing ice melting the ocean should be higher and its not.

Speakup on October 21, 2007 at 3:49 PM

If all the ice in the Arctic Ice Cap melted tomorrow, the sea level would go down, not up, for the same reason your drinking glass becomes less full as the ice cubes melt. Ice is less dense than water, and the Arctic Ice Cap is nothing more than a giant ice cube stuck up at the North Pole.

Herikutsu on October 21, 2007 at 8:52 PM

BadgerHawk on October 21, 2007 at 8:29 PM

Better I now feel. Thanks!

I, like you, consider myself an environmentalist, not an activist.
I was just poking fun at your statement. Please don’t be offended.
It’s just that I get that argument all the time about the temps rising and it’s our fault. I know you are not saying its not due to Anthropomorphism.

Kini on October 21, 2007 at 9:00 PM

Oh, and can we solve the problem?

Well, first we have to determine that it, GW, is a problem.
I don’t think it is. I think its natural.

Kini on October 21, 2007 at 9:02 PM

“Swatch, the Swiss watch company, is starting up a “green” energy firm. ”

I wonder what the name of the Croatian watch company is.

Also note that NASA says the North Pole ice isn’t melting in place due to warmer temps, it is being blown out into the warmer Atlantic by different wind patterns and melting there. It isn’t due to any increase in polar temperatures. You have ice that is floating on water that is being driven out to warmer water by wind. In the past the winds kept the ice in colder water by pushing it up against the Eurasian or North American arctic coast. It is pushing it out past Greenland now into the warmer Atlantic.

crosspatch on October 21, 2007 at 9:03 PM

I wonder what the name of the Croatian watch company is.

crosspatch on October 21, 2007 at 9:03 PM

Cute…took me a minute to get that one.

flipflop on October 21, 2007 at 9:29 PM

BadgerHawk on October 21, 2007 at 8:29 PMCome on.

As it turns out, it is far from stupid as there are many uncertainties when it comes to measuring the mean global temperature. There seems to be a general agreement that the temperature has risen slightly since meaningful measurments were started around 1880, but the deduced change is less than the margin of error for the measurements.

look here, particularly the section called Well, why is the planet warming so catastrophically if it’s not CO2 then?. You may have to scroll a bit to find it.
For those who don’t want to link, here is the money quote:
“Humans have only been trying to measure the temperature fairly consistently since about 1880, during which time we think the world may have warmed by about +0.6 °C ± 0.2 °C. As we’ve already pointed out, the estimate of warming is less than the error margin on our ability to take the Earth’s temperature, generally given as 14 °C ± 0.7 °C for the average 1961-1990 while the National Climatic Data Center (NCDC) suggest 13.9 °C for their average 1880-2004.”
Some more insight can be found here.
Note that I am not disputing a warming trend (the best evidence seems to suggest this is happening). Given that the climate must change, it can either be getting warmer or getting cooler – there are no other options. My point is that the assertion that “arguing” on the direction of the current trend is “stupid” sounds uncomfortably a lot like “the debate is over.”

Given the difficulty in even getting decent measurments, I think that there is plenty of room for uncertainty.

Herikutsu on October 21, 2007 at 9:45 PM

How dare you heretics!!
The debate is over!
Theres a consensus!
Al Gore is God!

hinduconservative on October 21, 2007 at 9:46 PM

As an environmentalist, I just want to point out that whether there is global warming or not, people who believe in global warming may not be motivated by socialism or worse. For instance, I’m certainly not a socialist. I’m very anti-socialist. Yet, my friends with Ph.D’s in biology certainly believe in global warming and so I tend to believe it.
Also, whatever may be the case, something like global warming is a possibility of the universe. Given these two points–which I think are logically undeniable, much of the comments written here are hyperbole at best.

thuja on October 21, 2007 at 9:48 PM

They WERE rising. There is a growing body of evidence to support the notion that temperatures have actually been cooling since about 1998 and there is almost no evidence of any “global” warming since 2000. In the world averages, almost all “warming” appears to be coming from data out of the former Soviet Union and China. These are areas where the veracity of the data can not be confirmed and in the case of China, where these “warming” signals are much more likely to be signals of rapid urbanization as stations that were rural and suddenly in the middle of a rapidly growing urban area.

Also, we are currently at solar minimum, which generally means lower temperatures. And if you look at Anthony Watts’ blog, you will see a recent entry that shows that the albedo or reflectivity if the Earth is rapidly increasing, which causes more solar energy to be reflected out into space rather than converted into heat.

Right now all indications are that we are undergoing cooling, and not warming. Note not only the recent record ice pack in the Southern Hemisphere, but also this past winter’s record cold in South Africa, Australia, New Zealand, and Antarctica. We are not talking local weather here, we are talking about the entire Southern Hemisphere.

crosspatch on October 21, 2007 at 9:54 PM