Video: The obligatory “Stossel on global warming” clip; Update: Icecaps melting at an “alarming” rate?

posted at 2:39 pm on October 21, 2007 by Allahpundit

I’m under the weather so this’ll have to suffice for awhile. Lots of requests for it have been coming in. Thanks to the Jawas, those orders can now be filled. Enjoy.

Update: Stossel lied, polar bears died?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Well, all hyperbole and joking aside, I don’t think it’s reasonable to deny that the earth’s average temperatures are/have been rising.

What’s more open to debate (unless you’re Al Gore) are (1) whether humans are responsible and (2) whether the changes are indisputably and universally catastrophic.

flipflop on October 21, 2007 at 10:06 PM

If all the global warmists don’t want to include our Sun,or underwater heat vents or volcanoes,or didn’t say a peep when Saddam lit up the oil wells,I think about 5,000 of them and won’t consider this as contributing factors.If Al Gore and his enviromental friends really believe
it’s mans fault,and the planet earth is doomed,then shouldn’t Al Gore and his friends make serious plans to leave this dying planet and leave as soon as possible!

canopfor on October 21, 2007 at 10:11 PM

Take the global warming test.

jihadwatcher on October 21, 2007 at 10:26 PM

flipflop on October 21, 2007 at 10:06 PM

I agree with your two(actually three) points here. On the hand, given that more than 30% of the solar energy that hits this planet and used biologically ultimately goes into rather direct human uses, it’s more than a little counter-intuitive to proclaim humanity has no impact on the environment and to rule out the possibility that humans are responsible for climate change–whatever “climate change” may mean.

thuja on October 21, 2007 at 10:41 PM

flipflop on October 21, 2007 at 2:59 PM

Bad Candy on October 21, 2007 at 3:59 PM

Speakup on October 21, 2007 at 4:04 PM

csdeven on October 21, 2007 at 4:51 PM

aengus on October 21, 2007 at 5:38 PM

Thank you all for your kind words, and provided the wildfire currently roaring down on me doesn’t cause any more problems I should be ok.

doriangrey on October 21, 2007 at 10:44 PM

Speedy recovery, AP and doriangrey.

Karl on October 21, 2007 at 10:50 PM

Plant decay in the world’s wetlands alone contributes more CO2 to the atmosphere than all the humans combined. If the environmentalists really cared about lowering CO2, they would pave over the wetlands.

Yet, and this is the salient point, CO2 accounts for only 0.03% of all gases in the atmosphere, and only a tiny fraction of that .03% is human produced – anthropomorphic. Anthropomorphic warming is not only a fraud, but a patently absurd fraud.

As Patrick Moore, co-founder of Greenpeace said himself, the environmental movement went from being about planet stewardship and conservation to becoming a clearinghouse for marxists who found themselves ideologically disenfranchised after the fall of the Soviet Union in ’89. That is when all this global warming stuff started to circulate. Right after the Berlin Wall came down.

jihadwatcher on October 22, 2007 at 12:08 AM

jihadwatcher on October 22, 2007 at 12:08 AM

That’s so funny to me cause of the radio commercials that keep saying the wetlands are disappearing and its our fault!

Keep hammering the point that we humans, are evil.

Kini on October 22, 2007 at 12:57 AM

Yeah I saw that, it was a good segment.

Of course its not above the left to use kids for their own twisted purposes … not only did Stossel touch on that with the commercial of the girl in front of the train, but there was that “tick, tick” one that was on TV a few (I think) months ago. Then we have the SCHIP kid Frost.

Everything is allegedly “for the children” and – since the drive of a parent to care for her child is one of the strongest in society – if we don’t go along with their craziness we’re considered inhuman. I’ve seen enough of these sob stories to know that’s the case.

abinitioadinfinitum on October 21, 2007 at 3:34 PM

As for “Ben Gleck”, I might be referring to the same thing you are but did you see his special “The Climate of Fear” when it came out?

logis on October 21, 2007 at 5:19 PM

Tell me about it.

I’ve had a lot of talks with my step dad (who is one heck of a liberal) over this and all I can gather is that he thinks its OK to use outright lies to get your way – should there be sufficient heart-tugging involved.

Y’know, for that elusive “good cause” and all.

Ryan Gandy on October 22, 2007 at 1:09 AM

As an environmentalist, I just want to point out that whether there is global warming or not, people who believe in global warming may not be motivated by socialism or worse. For instance, I’m certainly not a socialist. I’m very anti-socialist. Yet, my friends with Ph.D’s in biology certainly believe in global warming and so I tend to believe it.
Also, whatever may be the case, something like global warming is a possibility of the universe. Given these two points–which I think are logically undeniable, much of the comments written here are hyperbole at best.

thuja on October 21, 2007 at 9:48 PM

You believe in GW because your biologist friends believe in GW?

okay.

If you truly look at the root of the Goreacle’s crowd, they all pretty much want the same thing: a rollback of the industrial revolution and cutting back the growth we as a western society have thrived under in the last 100 years.

According to Al Gore, the Earth–capable of creating complex ecosystems and even restarting decimated forests–in all her raw power, is totally at our mercy because we enjoy our current lifestyles with cheap Edison light bulbs and H3 Hummers. It just doesn’t add up. The world has seen massive toxic skies when the world erupted all the heavy and poisonous elements from below even before life ever began…yet we were created afterwards. The Earth has seen land masses split and divide and shift across the oceans, yet life still thrives.

But now…our oil consumption and air pollution are somehow creating irreversible ecological damage that is slapping mother nature around like a drunk, abusive husband.

Really, people, it just doesn’t add up.

Look at the root. Most of these GW goons are anti-capitalism and nearly every tactic is aimed at destroying our lifestyles in favor of socialist (or big government) ones or they are people promoting a product (like carbon offsets) that really fit the profile of a carpetbagger or late 19th century county fair snake-oil salesman with a rickety cart of loose oddities.

Eco-friendly wolves in sheep clothing.

Black Adam on October 22, 2007 at 1:26 AM

As Patrick Moore, co-founder of Greenpeace said himself, the environmental movement went from being about planet stewardship and conservation to becoming a clearinghouse for marxists who found themselves ideologically disenfranchised after the fall of the Soviet Union in ‘89. That is when all this global warming stuff started to circulate. Right after the Berlin Wall came down.

jihadwatcher on October 22, 2007 at 12:08 AM

Absolutely right! I love that episode of Penn and Teller!

It fits perfectly into the ideology of Marxism.

Black Adam on October 22, 2007 at 1:27 AM

thuja on October 21, 2007 at 9:48 PM

hyperbole? certainly not group think………

scooter on October 22, 2007 at 1:37 AM

We are all gonna die…… our hair purple!

Kini on October 22, 2007 at 1:39 AM

Al Gore is God!

hinduconservative on October 21, 2007 at 9:46 PM

And the High Goracle spoke all these words, saying: I am the Goracle your Oracle.

ONE: You shall have no other Oracles before Me.

TWO: You shall not make for yourself any carbon images–any likeness of anything carbon that is in heaven above, or of anything carbon that is in the earth beneath, or anything carbon that is in the water under the earth.

THREE: You shall not ever take the name of the Goracle your Oracle in vain.

FOUR: Remember my birthday, and keep it carbon free unless you have credits that you bought from me.

FIVE: Honor me instead of your father and your mother especially if they don’t believe in global warming.

SIX: You shall not ever malign me or else you be apostates.

SEVEN: You shall not commit adultery with my wife, but I can with your wife.

EIGHT: You shall not ever steal my carbon credits.

NINE: You shall not raise any challenges to the most holy doctrine of global warming.

TEN: You shall not covet any of my mansions; you shall not covet my private jets, nor my SUV’s, nor my pizza, nor my Krispe Kreame dounuts, nor my Biggie Fries, nor my hot fudge sundaes.

MB4 on October 22, 2007 at 2:04 AM

ONE: You shall have no other Oracles before Me.

MB4 on October 22, 2007 at 2:04 AM

You had me at ONE

Kini on October 22, 2007 at 2:50 AM

Does anyone know how I can buy some stock shares in one of those carbon credit companies?
“Meet the new boss, Same as the old boss”
Looks like some people have been fooled again.

bloggless on October 22, 2007 at 9:30 AM

The problem with Gore’s crap is that it puts all environmental efforts in a bad light and not all of them are bad. Not all of them are bad science….. some, but not all.

Ernest on October 22, 2007 at 9:50 AM

Nice cartoon.

oldelpasoan on October 22, 2007 at 10:40 AM

For the fun of seeing how much echo there is in the MSM echo chamber, I Googled “global warming” “alarming rate”.

Take a look at the results.

I guess when you have column inches to fill, you don’t worry about repeating what everybody else (i.e., the Leftist propaganda machine) says.

angryoldfatman on October 22, 2007 at 11:26 AM

Just like children, the leftist radicals have their minds made up and nothing except a public flogging will get their attention.

Also, a reminder that NO is a complete sentence and that is the end of the discussion.

Therefore, when asked to agree to their senseless issues and told that if X equals Y therefore Z equals this and I must agree or be publicly pilloried. My response is NO.

MSGTAS on October 22, 2007 at 11:58 AM

Polar bears thriving as the Arctic warms up !

This man-made global warming crap has got to be exposed for the massive fraud it is, they are frightening our kids and causing them great harm. This has GOT TO STOP !!

And now, in spite of inadequate electrical power production in the U.S. the states are starting to deny permits for building new coal powered plants for the production of electricity. This is the result of conservatives losing the MASSACHUSETTS v EPA (pdf) case at the Supreme Court in October 2006, in a 5-4 decision. If you like reading Supreme Court cases, I recommend this one. It is the perfect case to illustrate judicial activism by the leftist block of the Supreme Court, i.e. STEVENS, KENNEDY, SOUTER, GINSBURG, and BREYER.

The liberal block of five created a special status out of thin air for the state of Massachusetts in order to allow the state to have standing in the case. Massachusetts was not able to demonstrate any damages as a result of the EPA’s exclusion of carbon dioxide as a regulated gas, thus no standing should have been permitted in accordance with the rules of the court.

The dissent from the court’s decision, joined by ROBERTS, SCALIA, THOMAS, and ALITO is nearly as long as the court’s main ruling and exposes the folly of the court’s liberal wing in this decision. It’s very interesting to read how far the liberal block went in order to give the LEFT a big win in this case.

Maxx on October 22, 2007 at 12:18 PM

What we think of as BEING right is completely irrelevant to liberals; all they care about is FEELING right.

logis on October 21, 2007 at 5:19 PM

I once had a long and fairly heated debate with a friend’s wife. It was mainly about the death penalty, and also several tangents that came up. She ended the debate by retreating to the line “Well, this is just what I feel.” I responded, “Everything you’ve said to me so far has been formulated with reason and logic (however flawed). Now, what’s with the feelings?”

deesine on October 22, 2007 at 4:18 PM

My Hummer is way more powerful then the Wildfires spreading across California right now!

Puny little fires.

americaslaststand on October 22, 2007 at 4:51 PM

It’a aimply amazing the bogus message that can be sold to the masses when one has control of the media and/or support of the media. Algore the twenty first century Goebbels.

docdave on October 22, 2007 at 7:49 PM