Video: The GOP’s got a fee-vah and the only prescription is more Hillary!

posted at 10:28 pm on October 21, 2007 by Allahpundit

I considered giving you the clip of the opening Rudy/Mitt/Fred/McCain “real Republican” free-for-all but when push comes to shove this is much the bigger selling point for the GOP next year. (Just ask Mary Katharine.) Being the un-Hillary is no small distinction with 50% of the public claiming they’d never vote for her, and the candidates realize it only too well: watch as an engraved invitation from Chris Wallace to Hillary-bash becomes a platform for the most memorable lines of the evening, culminating in a standing ovation for McCain’s killer. He’s been using variations on this line for 25 years, often to even more devastating effect. To wit:

From the start, McCain was attacked as an opportunist and a carpetbagger. His high-priced Washington consultants, big war chest and television ads did nothing to alter that image. At a debate with his three Republican primary opponents [in 1982], he took aim at the issue and killed it dead. “Listen, pal,” he replied to a challenge to his status as an Arizonan. “I spent 22 years in the Navy. My father was in the Navy. My grandfather was in the Navy. We in the military service tend to move a lot. I wish I could have had the luxury, like you, of growing up and living and spending my entire life in a place like the First District of Arizona, but I was doing other things. As a matter of fact, when I think about it now, the place I lived longest in my life was Hanoi.” The issue didn’t come up much after that.

Frank Luntz’s post-debate focus-group verdict: Giuliani and Huckabee, who are clearly the class of the field at these things, did well while J-Mac, his zinger notwithstanding, fell flat. Oh, and no one’s voting for Ron Paul, which I guess proves that they’re all in on the conspiracy.

Note: The clip has been edited for brevity.

Comments

All good ones to quote, Allah. I, too, feel better about all of the candidates in the field now with Rs behind their names.

Subsunk

Subsunk on October 21, 2007 at 10:41 PM

they wont win running on an “anybody but hillary” ticket.

Just like “anybody but bush” didnt work for the dems on 04.

The need to stand for something, not just against Hillary.

zane on October 21, 2007 at 10:44 PM

But Ron Paul got 39% of teh interwebz poll! That proves that He is the Messiah!

Lehosh on October 21, 2007 at 10:44 PM

But Ron Paul got 39% of teh interwebz poll! That proves that He is the Messiah!

Lehosh on October 21, 2007 at 10:44 PM

Yeah, for Paul, the emphasis is on MESSiah…

JetBoy on October 21, 2007 at 10:46 PM

The republican arent just anti hillary. The are against the creaping insurgence of the Federal government that dems want to shove down the people throats.

Hillary is the living embodyment of that belief. All of the candidates (even Paul thought barely) at least understand the dangers of out of control government

William Amos on October 21, 2007 at 10:48 PM

McCain’s “tied up at the time” was the best line. Maybe he’s used it before but that’s good stuff.

Dash on October 21, 2007 at 10:52 PM

And is it just me, or…watching that playback, that Mitt (around the 2:23 countdown timer there) looked as if he was gonna say “she hasn’t run a F-ing city…”? But he stopped himself.

JetBoy on October 21, 2007 at 10:54 PM

Actually, polls consistently show 46-52% won’t vote for HRC. That can’t be all you run on, but HRC is sailing into the wind, not with it.

Karl on October 21, 2007 at 10:54 PM

I guess it comes as no surprise that Rudy’s a Yankees fan. The question is, can I bring myself to vote for a fan of the Evil Empire?

flipflop on October 21, 2007 at 10:55 PM

Have my own Poll to offer

Who would you like to see as the VP candidate for the Republican party ?

Here

William Amos on October 21, 2007 at 10:57 PM

flipflop on October 21, 2007 at 10:55 PM

Let’s put this into perspective: Would you rather vote for a fan of the Evil Empire, or have an Evil Empress?

Darksean on October 21, 2007 at 10:58 PM

looking at the clip with McCain’s line:

Ron Paul doesn’t look like he is applauding, the other candidates do.

bnelson44 on October 21, 2007 at 11:06 PM

I think it is going to be Huckabee on the R side. I’m concerned about his taxation stance and his amnesty stance. . . but I don’t think I could stomach 4 years of that Rudy accent talking about his ‘idears’. I don’t think it is going to be Rudy although the entire right of the media wants to push it that way.

Really though they are all the same. If it is Rudy vs. Hillary, there will be a third party candidate.

I DO NOT support Ron Paul. But his idea about a moratorium on immigration and becoming an isolationist nation is probably the best way to defend against terror.

I firmly believe in strong defense, and spending as much money as possible on that defense and our soldiers. I support victory in Iraq and probably an attack on Iran to keep them from getting nuclear weapons. But Ron Paul could probably get more votes from Democrats than Hillary would because of his stance on the war.

Given the concept of Rudy vs Hillary vs Paul – I probably would not vote for any of them. I could hold my nose and my wallet and support Huckabee though.

ThackerAgency on October 21, 2007 at 11:15 PM

flipflop, the question should be, “How ’bout them Cowboys!” North Texas is rockin’ tonight.

NO, we don’t have a clue on how RP got elected to office. He is a mystery many.

24K lady on October 21, 2007 at 11:19 PM

I think it is going to be Huckabee on the R side.

ThackerAgency on October 21, 2007 at 11:15 PM

No chance in hell, when people see his squishiness on taxes, his Nanny Statism and his amnesty/open borders policy, he won’t break top tier even if those didn’t surface. He’s stuck at the top of second tier now.

You and I didn’t see the same debate, I thought Huck was weak, where I’ve thought he was strong in nearly every other debate, he took a step back tonight.

I’m watching Huck chastise the ‘I’m the real Republican’ free-for-all again on the repeat, and it was just weak. He shoulda got in and scrapped, but he avoided it, for good reason, he can’t win that contest.

Bad Candy on October 21, 2007 at 11:24 PM

I have to say, I missed most of Luntz’s analysis, but that’s odd that they picked Rudy and Huck. I found Rudy to be solid, but Huck was weak tonight, and I say that as someone who’s thought he outperformed his position in the polls consistently in the debates. I woulda picked Rudy, Fred and McCain as the winners, with McCain’s “tied up” line being the line of the night.

Bad Candy on October 21, 2007 at 11:28 PM

They’re all great quotes in this clip, and McCain’s tops the list. I really hope that the fact these guys are behind Hillary in the polls, yet 50% of Americans would not vote for her, gives an insight to all of you of what these poll results really mean. Shrillary will not be our next POTUS, and if the Dems really have the gall to make her the official candidate, we are assured our next POTUS is a Republican.

thedecider on October 21, 2007 at 11:29 PM

Well all well and good….

but….

How will the liberal MSM treat tonight’s festivities, hmm?

They’ll probably gush over thier favorite, McCain, I’ll wager, and slap around everyone else.

kevcad on October 21, 2007 at 11:38 PM

I think the Republicans should encourage Ron Paul to run on a third party ticket. He’d take half of Hillary’s Democratic votes with his war stance.

Huckabee is gaining strength. Elections are generally about momentum. He’s doing better in Iowa and he’ll probably win SC at the end of the day. At that point, we’ll see. I don’t like Huckabee much either mainly because it’ll be another amnesty debacle. . . but we knew that was coming with Bush too.

If I was Hillary I’d want to run against either Rudy or Mitt. I wouldn’t want to run against McCain if I was Hillary.

My problem with Huckabee’s tax stance is mitigated with the idea that no candidate will raise taxes as much as Hillary anyway. I think Huckabee’s ideas resonate with a lot of people.

ThackerAgency on October 21, 2007 at 11:41 PM

Huckabee is gaining strength. Elections are generally about momentum.

I think Huck just hit a wall tonight, he didn’t do well. Fred I think will experience an upswing, he did well, and needed to, Rudy did well, Mitt was the big loser of tonight (discounting Ron Paul), Huck was the second big loser, and I think he’s stuck for good in second tier, he had a small window to push into top tier, and I think he missed it.

Bad Candy on October 21, 2007 at 11:52 PM

The Republican crackup

“If you analyze it I believe the very heart and soul of conservatism is libertarianism. … The basis of conservatism is a desire for less government interference or less centralized authority or more individual freedom, and this is a pretty general description also of what libertarianism is. … I think that libertarianism and conservatism are traveling the same path.”

– President Ronald Reagan

“[Now]Conservatives and libertarians are marching to different drummers, going on different paths going in opposite directions.”

While Norquist championed a coalition of people who want government to leave them alone, Hunter championed a government that was about bossing everybody around. “It is in the interests of the United States to expand freedom,” he said. “If you don’t change the world, the world will change you.” And, boy, did Hunter offer plans to change the world. He vowed to take on China and Iran, to continue what he viewed as a successful war in Iraq, to crack down on illegal immigration and to expand government spending on the military. He talked about “duty, honor, country” but not about liberty. The crowd – at least the conservative faction – roared its approval.

That was the scariest s— I’ve heard in a long time,” I whispered to libertarian writer Doug Bandow, who apparently agreed. Writing in his blog, Bandow contrasted Hunter with Norquist: “Very different was … Hunter, who wants to slap tariffs on Chinese imports, expand the military, close the border and go to war to do good around the world. His trade critique sounds like something out of communist central planning … . With his import limits he would follow the example of the disastrous Smoot-Hawley tariff, which wrecked international markets and helped bring on the Great Depression. Worse, though, he wants to use the U.S. military to ‘expand freedom around the world,’ when Washington’s principal responsibility is to defend America’s national security. Undertaking glorious international crusades with other people’s lives is Wilsonian liberalism, not responsible conservatism.

Hence the divide. We also saw it the night before when religious conservative Alan Keyes gave a dinner address. He was greeted by a standing ovation by conservatives as he entered the room, while a few of us in the libertarian faction rolled our eyes, grabbed our cigars and quietly headed to the bar.

As I cleared my head on the gorgeous southward drive east of the Sierras along U.S. 395, I was left with only one conclusion: All the king’s horses and all the king’s men won’t put this Humpty Dumpty coalition together again.

MB4 on October 22, 2007 at 12:03 AM

Ron Paul wouldn’t last 5 minutes with Ronald Reagan.

bnelson44 on October 22, 2007 at 12:06 AM

Hillary-Paul in 1908!

Get the hemp-powered Time Machine ready!

profitsbeard on October 22, 2007 at 12:19 AM

McCain had a great line on that one for sure. Hitlery is toast in this election.

Mojave Mark on October 22, 2007 at 12:23 AM

there is no substitute for victory, and can any of y’all tell me that, out of our current pool of candidates, McCain isn’t our best bet for defeating Hillary?

treyevans on October 22, 2007 at 12:35 AM

treyevans on October 22, 2007 at 12:35 AM

Out of our current pool of candidates, McCain isn’t our best bet for defeating Hillary.

Keljeck on October 22, 2007 at 1:42 AM

William Amos on October 21, 2007 at 10:57 PM

Duncan Hunter is leading that poll at the moment. I wish more people would choose him as Pres. But a Fred/Duncan ticket would appeal to me.

Texas Nick 77 on October 22, 2007 at 5:08 AM

ThackerAgency on October 21, 2007 at 11:15 PM

Actually, it is the LEFT of the MSM that is pushing Rudy to be the nominee. They are hoping to cause a split in the Republican party, and their candidate wins by default. Failing that, they would not really mind a different NY liberal in the WH.

Texas Nick 77 on October 22, 2007 at 5:12 AM

Hillary-Paul in 1908!

Get the hemp-powered Time Machine ready!

profitsbeard on October 22, 2007 at 12:19 AM

Does that run on “negatrons?”

Texas Nick 77 on October 22, 2007 at 5:17 AM

And as long as we are speaking about the dhiminicrat front runner…

Texas Nick 77 on October 22, 2007 at 6:29 AM

Who would you like to see as the VP candidate for the Republican party ?

William Amos on October 21, 2007 at 10:57 PM

Should’ve put Michael Steele in your poll, William Amos.

BacaDog on October 22, 2007 at 7:25 AM

I wish Micael Steele was in the race for Prez.

Texas Nick 77 on October 22, 2007 at 8:49 AM

“I was tied up at the time.”

That was the best debate quote of the night. And that ain’t saying much.

‘I’m not voting for Ron Paul because it’s not expressly prescribed in the Constitution.’ – bnelson44 on October 21, 2007 at 11:57 PM

That’s the best quote of the thread. And that is saying a lot. We’re not going to survive as a republic if the people do nothing but clamor for a 4 year ‘king’ to fix us as a nation. Not possible, and horrible short sighted and immature.

Unless & until ‘we the people’ return to a ground swell, grass roots, from the state house up to congress government ‘of the people, by the people, and for the people’ we will become enslaved to an elected king transforming into a dictator (see germany – 1933) on the promises of ‘free government provided fill-in-the-blank’ to cure all your personal problems.

~I blame govt. schools.

locomotivebreath1901 on October 22, 2007 at 9:53 AM

Yes, running as the anti-Hillary/anti-Clinton candidate will be the Republican nominee’s (whoever that turns out to be) theme.

Indeed, as Rudy firmly noted, America can’t afford Hillary. And using her own quotes — of which there are many jems — is an excellent way constantly minimize her agenda and catch her in all important contradictions.

eanax on October 22, 2007 at 10:27 AM

Ron Paul wouldn’t last 5 minutes with Ronald Reagan.

bnelson44 on October 22, 2007 at 12:06 AM

And that’s because Ronald Reagan knew American history and Ron Paul thinks he does.

Big difference…

eanax on October 22, 2007 at 10:30 AM

they wont win running on an “anybody but hillary” ticket.

Just like “anybody but bush” didnt work for the dems on 04.

The need to stand for something, not just against Hillary.

zane on October 21, 2007 at 10:44 PM

Oh, the Republican nominee will have his platform and goals he wants to accomplish. However, do NOT discount the amount of the voting public that dislikes Hillary and they are never captured in “polls.” The Repub nominee will use and push the anti-Hillary card when it’s necessary. The woman is a polemic, and every Republican candidate knows that.

Have you ever been called by a political pollster? I haven’t…

eanax on October 22, 2007 at 10:35 AM

The American people will never elect Hillary Clinton president.

Labamigo on October 22, 2007 at 10:56 AM

I know you guys get tired of my rah rah for McCain. But he hardly fell flat. Geeze. They all did well. I’ll take Mitt or McCain (and don’t count him out yet guys) and Huckabee for VP. I like Fred, but I don’t see the fire. You all know how I feel about Rudy. He is the only one who will upset me if he gets the nomination.

We should have learned our lesson about liberal Republicans.

Rightwingsparkle on October 22, 2007 at 12:02 PM

But a Fred/Duncan ticket would appeal to me.

Texas Nick 77 on October 22, 2007 at 5:08 AM

With that ticket, we’d get an administration that works to get terrorists off the hook, allows all illegals into the country, and a cabinet full of lobbyists.

Well, I couldn’t let that one go without one of my patented smart ass remarks ;-)…..

csdeven on October 22, 2007 at 12:04 PM

I saw fire in the belly of Fred!

(even if he is a scumbag lobbyist, Libyan lover, blah blah….)

/csd

omnipotent on October 22, 2007 at 12:22 PM

Big difference…

eanax on October 22, 2007 at 10:30 AM

yep, someone really needs to explain to these tards that just because Ron Paul or Lew Rockwell label something “unconstitutional”, doesn’t make it so. and show all the historical parrallels all the way back to the founders. History these idiots either have to omit or are ignorant of.

jp on October 22, 2007 at 12:42 PM

Rightwingsparkle on October 22, 2007 at 12:02 PM

What debate did you watch? Sure, McCain had a good line or two, but at least in the first half of the debate he looked more sedate than Fred did. I thought they replaced him with a McCain robot.

Hollowpoint on October 22, 2007 at 12:51 PM

Hollowpoint,

What debate did I watch? Why, sweetie, the same one this guys did.

And this guy.

And this guy.
And ALL these guys.

And The Washington Post

Rightwingsparkle on October 22, 2007 at 2:04 PM

Hollowpoint,

What debate did I watch? Why, sweetie, the same one this guys did.

Rightwingsparkle on October 22, 2007 at 2:04 PM

Yawn. More style-over-substance pundits. Does anybody even bother listening to what the candidates are saying anymore? Seems like everyone’s more concerned about who has the best scripted one-liners, best vocal delivery, and best hair instead of what they’re actually saying. It’s a debate- not a comedy festival.

McCain was better in the second half of the debate than the first, but it’s unlikely he won over many converts. In the first half he was a bit dull and monotone.

Hollowpoint on October 22, 2007 at 2:17 PM

I’ll give you substance over style.

Substance over style.

I could go on and on. You just aren’t listening.

Rightwingsparkle on October 22, 2007 at 2:59 PM

By the way, I did a webcast Saturday playing around my new webcamera. I called it “Shallow Poltical Thoughts.” Just being silly. But I did say that Mitt should do something about his perfect hair and that Thompson needed B-12 shots. They must have seen it…;-)

If Cindy McCain cuts her hair short. I’ll KNOW they did. Heh.

Rightwingsparkle on October 22, 2007 at 3:08 PM

I could go on and on. You just aren’t listening.

Rightwingsparkle on October 22, 2007 at 2:59 PM

Uh, neither of those were from the debate, Kitten. And besides, you linked to a rabid McCain supporter, and they’re kind of a goofy lot.

Hollowpoint on October 22, 2007 at 3:34 PM

I caught up with Fred Thompson on the campaign trail at two stops in Florida last month. His message was consistent with his positions as stated in the debate. I will credit him with the so called ‘I’m the real republican’ rumble at the onset of the night. I will also credit Fred Thompson for influencing change in the format to a bona fide debate. I thought his specific answers elevated the intelligence level many IQ points. Not to mention his man handling Colmes in the post debate Q & A on Fox News. Fred Thompson may not be GQ material, but we need serious leadership now more than ever. I for one can live without a pretty boy pretender in the White House.

sonnyspats1 on October 22, 2007 at 4:33 PM

By the way I also think Fred Thompson exposed the super slick Mitt for the great pretender he really is. Fred Thompson confronted both Rudy and Mitt and I think he left Mitt looking exposed and confused.

sonnyspats1 on October 22, 2007 at 4:40 PM

sonnyspats1 on October 22, 2007 at 4:33 PM

You are confusing “leadership” for Fred’s cranky snide jabs at those who expose him for the terrorist supporting abortion lobbyist he is. The guy is an empty suit filled with vague platitudes and talking points stuffed in him by his wife.

csdeven on October 22, 2007 at 6:04 PM

McCain’s Hanoi lines remind me of Kerry’s , “May I remind you I was in Vietnam?” lines. Granted McCain is a genuine hero, but using that line as a trump card too many times will turn folks off.

Lothar on October 22, 2007 at 11:30 PM

McCain maybe able to compete with Romney in Iowa.

O/T

Bob Jones’ endorsement hurts Romney?!

Is Romney trying to buy it in Ohio?

csdeven on October 23, 2007 at 2:39 AM

O/T

Fred’s penchant for blowing smoke out his a$$ causes unintended consequences.

csdeven on October 23, 2007 at 2:57 AM

csdeven on October 22, 2007 at 12:04 PM

It wouldn’t be a Fred thread if you didn’t.

Texas Nick 77 on October 23, 2007 at 5:12 AM

It wouldn’t be a Fred thread if you didn’t.

Texas Nick 77 on October 23, 2007 at 5:12 AM

It doesn’t have to be a Fred thread. ;-)

csdeven on October 23, 2007 at 7:51 AM

It doesn’t have to be a Fred thread. ;-)

csdeven on October 23, 2007 at 7:51 AM

Aw, shucks. Nothing is safe around here anymore. :)

How’s the family doing?

Texas Nick 77 on October 23, 2007 at 8:04 AM

Texas Nick 77 on October 23, 2007 at 8:04 AM

They’re doing good. My soldier is settling into the life of a warrior. He had his first encounter the other day and his medic told him he was crazy for being so calm about the whole thing. He doesn’t figure that getting freaked out does anyone any good, so what’s the point. He says it’s like going on a roller coaster. It’s scary at first and then exciting. The training kicks in and he just does his job.

My sailor is back at Pearl settling into base life for the next year. I’ve got snow on the ground and he’s playing football in his shorts on the beach! And, he doesn’t seem to be too sympathetic to my situation. :-)

All is well. Thanks for the concern.

csdeven on October 23, 2007 at 12:39 PM

All is well. Thanks for the concern.

csdeven on October 23, 2007 at 12:39 PM

I was taught, way back in the dinosaur days (or just after Dad killed the last one), that panic does nothing to improve a bad situation. Sounds like your soldier son has learned a valuable lesson. You are a very lucky man to have such outstanding offspring. I believe it to be a reflection of their parents’ character.

God bless them and protect them.

Texas Nick 77 on October 24, 2007 at 7:25 AM