Video: “Real Republican” battle royale

posted at 11:32 pm on October 21, 2007 by Allahpundit

I said I wasn’t going to do it but I couldn’t resist. In sequence: Fred smacks Mitt, Fred smacks Rudy, Rudy smacks Fred, Fred smacks Rudy back, Rudy smacks Fred back, McCain smacks Mitt, Mitt politely declines to smack McCain, McCain smacks the hell out of Mitt, Mitt politely declines to smack McCain again, Mitt smacks Hillary.

The winner? Chris Wallace, for fanning this brushfire.

Comments

I’ll sit back and watch the spin, thank you.

Nonfactor on October 21, 2007 at 11:39 PM

I think this was where Mitt slipped. I have no idea if Fred did this intentionally, it was smart though, he only swiped at Rudy, and Rudy only swiped at Fred, it pushed Mitt into a fight with second tier with McCain, on the war of all things, and McCain’s got that hard earned Absolute Moral Authority Card on war issues…bad, baaaad place for Mitt to be. I think he was the big loser tonight, next to Ron Paul.

Bad Candy on October 21, 2007 at 11:42 PM

Fred did really well this time.

Warner Todd Huston on October 21, 2007 at 11:54 PM

And the Red Sox win.

Oh…was there a debate tonight?

nailinmyeye on October 21, 2007 at 11:58 PM

McCain is vestigal. They should stop inviting him.

Mindcrime on October 22, 2007 at 12:03 AM

The winner in this video clip was Rudy, followed closely by Mitt. My bias aside, Fred was, once again, a loser, who, once again, had nothing more to offer than sound bytes.

thedecider on October 22, 2007 at 12:03 AM

Who cares? BOSTON WON! SO DID THE COWBOYS! I still like Fred.

mimi1220 on October 22, 2007 at 12:06 AM

I actually really like Romney, but I don’t know who to believe, Romney or Romney.

One of Rudy’s greatest strengths is that his stances on various important issues have been fairly consistent. It is unfortunate that this is also his greatest weakness.

Fred seems to be hoping that, absent any specificity, his personality will carry him through. It may so happen that Fred is his own worst enemy.

John McCain would be awesome, if only he were not on the wrong side of two or three issues that are critically important to the Republican base. However, it’s interesting that on the illegal immigration issue where McCain has suffered the most damage, his stance is basically the same held by the rest of the top tier candidates just prior to the Shamnesty debacle.

Huck seems like a smart guy and is a great speaker; it’s only too bad that, as President, he hopes to use the power of the federal government to manage the personal lives of American citizens. It’s for their own good, though.

FloatingRock on October 22, 2007 at 12:10 AM

I hate to say it, but even as a big Fred supporter, I still get the impression he got walked over in this clip. He used to say he was above this kind of debate, but he has so quickly sunken to that level…

My opinion of Fred hasn’t really worsened – he was just playing the game – but I have to admit my opinion of Rudy has improved a little bit.

pifactorial on October 22, 2007 at 12:12 AM

Rudy has to nuance quite a bit when he answers. I liked McCain’s answers tonight. Too bad he’s SO wrong on immigration. Mitt it too clever by half, he should go into acting. Hey Mitt, they’re gonna need a replacement for Fred on Law & Order when he’s busy being president.

Fred’s my boy. Boom! Here come the boys from the South!

Go Broncos!

Mojave Mark on October 22, 2007 at 12:17 AM

sox in 6…..yeah!!!!!

dmann on October 22, 2007 at 12:20 AM

Who’s McCain trying to fool, Conservative? Not.

Fred was better here, still needs to come up a bit to compete with Rudy.

From this clip Mitt stumbled a little.

Its good to see them spar some.

Rudy bringing up tort reform? Does he really want to go there?

Speakup on October 22, 2007 at 12:22 AM

The winner? Chris Wallace, for fanning this brushfire.
Allahpundit

Funny, how, pessimism misses the winner every time.

Oh, and, your welcome.

Mcguyver on October 22, 2007 at 12:23 AM

Dustin Padroia…..”leave it all on the field…if we loose, we loose!” How come the national past-time does not translate to “our” future! How can the defeatist democrat’s continue to pertend to embrace American values!

dmann on October 22, 2007 at 12:37 AM

Fred did much better tonight. I have been worried that his heart is not in this thing. Rudy did very well. Ron Paul should (Southernism follows) “go to the house”. Focus on Hillary is a good thing but somebody has got to show that they can beat her.

d1carter on October 22, 2007 at 12:40 AM

There is great joy in Red Sox Nation tonight…

D2Boston on October 22, 2007 at 12:53 AM

Just a bunch of chums.

(Is that how chum is spelled in that context?)

McCain sounds robotic.

Fred, tired.

Rudy, peppy.

Mitt, zippy.

I think it’ll be a zippy-peppy ticket.

profitsbeard on October 22, 2007 at 12:58 AM

wait a minute i thought smackdown was fridays at 8 on upn

Mojack420 on October 22, 2007 at 1:10 AM

I am dissapointed in Rudy on tort reform. Its pandering and he knows it.

tommylotto on October 22, 2007 at 1:12 AM

AP, you need to add some of those campy Batman fight graphics and sound effects as transitions for this montage: “POW!” “BAM!” “WHAMMO!”

This debate was a lot livelier than usual. Too bad there’s STILL nobody but us political junkies paying attention. Sigh.

aero on October 22, 2007 at 1:25 AM

The back biting is really just talking in circles. I’ll give Mitt props for remaining a gentleman. I still like Fred! the most

Black Adam on October 22, 2007 at 1:44 AM

This debate again shows how conservatives lost when Newt decided not to run. It was as energizing as Hillary in a bikini.

DannoJyd on October 22, 2007 at 2:32 AM

How interesting that all of them are using the I’m-Most-Conservative standard, without question. Are we all suddenly in agreement that Most Conservative is the electoral goal?

If so, that’s quite an ideological step forward for today’s GOP.

Halley on October 22, 2007 at 2:41 AM

You wouldn’t happen to have a link or something to back that up? Thanks.

CharlestonCritic on October 22, 2007 at 3:01 AM

CharlestonCritic on October 22, 2007 at 3:01 AM

Huckabee comes out against miniskirts

Smoking Ban

FloatingRock on October 22, 2007 at 3:39 AM

Mitt has class. Seriously McCain, what the heck is wrong with you?

BKennedy on October 22, 2007 at 3:47 AM

It was as energizing as Hillary in a bikini.

DannoJyd on October 22, 2007 at 2:32 AM

*gag*

You could have gone all night without saying that.

Texas Nick 77 on October 22, 2007 at 4:58 AM

Fred did very well in the debate. Rudy made a good point about Hillary, using her own words to illustrate who she really is – a socialist – and Ron Paul needs to be somewhere else.

dogsoldier on October 22, 2007 at 6:32 AM

It was as energizing as Hillary in a bikini.

I think I threw up in my mouth a little bit there…

BadBrad on October 22, 2007 at 6:37 AM

Good stuff, but the winning line of the night goes to McCain, talking about the WoodStock museum. Classic

conservnut on October 22, 2007 at 7:08 AM

romney huckabee ’08!

ernesto on October 22, 2007 at 7:26 AM

They need to quit inviting Ron Paul.
He is so far out there, and when he spoke, he was whining!
I do not like him, but I was certainly embarrassed for him!

MITX on October 22, 2007 at 8:10 AM

This debate again shows how conservatives lost when Newt decided not to run. DannoJyd on October 22, 2007 at 2:32 AM

The only problem is that with this 90-second soundbite format, it doesn’t MATTER how smart you are. It’s not possible to take part in that without sounding like an idiot or a politician – or both.

In this retard-friendly format, even someone like Ron Paul can sometimes sound almost semi-coherent for a blurb at a time. If someone like that had to take part in an actual debate – where he had to formulate and defend an actual position on any issue, even the few scatterbrained ADA-impaired feebs who support him now would be able to figure out what a psychopath he is.

logis on October 22, 2007 at 8:35 AM

I said it in the open thread about the debate….

Rudy gets called out for endorsing federal funds for abortion, and he comes back with tort reform???? Rudy got busted up in the early rounds of this debate.

He had a great come back when quoting and beating up on Hilldawg though.

But, he will just continue to get hit on social issues. It is the GOP primary after all.

sunny on October 22, 2007 at 9:54 AM