Jindal wins!

posted at 8:05 am on October 21, 2007 by Bryan

Louisiana will have a new governor. And the press wastes no time in trying to tie him to the president:

Indian-American, Bobby Jindal, created history on Saturday as he was elected as Governor of the Southern US State of Louisiana, which was devastated by Hurricane Katrina some two years ago.

Election of Jindal, 36, as the Governor of Louisiana, immediately brought jubilation among the Indian-Americans in the US, who viewed this as emergence of a new era for the community in terms of their political empowerment. He is a Republican – the party of President George W Bush.

The Democrats tried various dirty tricks to keep the governorship in their hands, but Jindal overcame it to cruise to victory with 53% of the vote. Red State has more. Congratulations to Governor-elect Bobby Jindal and his family!

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Check this out
The only parishes he lost were Orleans and St Bernard…go figure

lsutiger on October 21, 2007 at 12:03 PM

Boasso territory. Walter Boasso was a candidate from that area.

reine.de.tout on October 21, 2007 at 2:20 PM

Bryan cut the quote short for space… the full sentence reads:

“He is a Republican – the party of President George W Bush, who with Karl Rove and Halliburton designed the global warming weather machine that caused Hurricane Katrina in an attempt to kill off a large block of staunch Democrat voters and when that didn’t kill enough staunch Democrat voters, Dick Cheney snuck into New Orleans in the middle of the night and blew holes in the levies with C4.”

saint kansas on October 21, 2007 at 8:53 AM

MB4 on October 21, 2007 at 2:38 PM

He is a Republican – the party of President George W Bush.

There is hope, for us all

Kini on October 21, 2007 at 2:39 PM

A monsoon of a win. Dems sink.

Congratulations!

Now make sure the dike rebuilding in the Big Easy is serious.

The past corruption that allowed it to to fail to easily needs to be washed away.

profitsbeard on October 21, 2007 at 2:49 PM

This is awesome.
I hope Jindal looks to some of the soultions the Dutch have for living in flood prone areas. Like the Floating House

I also hopes this helps get Republicans heads back in the game. They’ve got to realise they’re running against a Democratic Congress with an 80-90% DISAPPROVAL rating and a Democratic win in 08 is far from inevitable no matter what the MSM says.

Iblis on October 21, 2007 at 2:54 PM

Re: hyphenated-Americans

People can refer to themselves however they please. Do you think women who hyphenate their names are less-than-married?

I have NEVER heard anyone complain when Supreme Court Justice Scalia is referred to ro revered as the first “Italian-American” justice. Furthermore, throughout my life I have heard American’s of all ethnicities invoke their ethnic heritage as their primary identifier.

I’m Irish. I’m Italian. I’m German. I’m Jewish. I have heard these statements uttered thousands of times, yet some people still want to point fingers at a specific few groups who do what every other American has done since day one.

Save the outrage for our own failed policies. Jindal’s win is one of very few victories in our future. Republicans should be pissed at their reps and senators for delivering such crappy policy.

We can’t even get a fence up around our own yard and we’re complaining about the name on the mailbox. Please.

The Race Card on October 21, 2007 at 3:40 PM

I’m very happy Jindal was elected. I think he offers a lot of hope for a state with multiple problems.

Bradky on October 21, 2007 at 9:22 AM

Me too. He’s one of the youngest, smartest and innovative politicians we have today. He’s a “can do” man, with lots of inventive and other brain power. Congratulations, indeed. Miracles sometimes happen, even in historically corrupted places. At least for now, I have much hope for Louisiana. Can’t wait for the “mayor of NO/governor roll up our sleeves photo op…can do everything together…we are the world”. Jindal, with grace, will ‘share’ the credit and the blame.

Entelechy on October 21, 2007 at 3:50 PM

JiangxiDad on October 21, 2007 at 12:51 PM
Don’t you think our educational system has anything to do with that ?

SIJ6141 on October 21, 2007 at 4:10 PM

The Race Card on October 21, 2007 at 3:40 PM

:-)

baldilocks on October 21, 2007 at 4:24 PM

Jindal and Tebow, what a combo in the South!

Webutante on October 21, 2007 at 4:30 PM

Did everybody get that he is an Indian American? That is a very important fact, dontcha know.

Buy Danish on October 21, 2007 at 4:45 PM

I’m a Transylvanian-American, if some insist, and you can call me anything you wish, including if it’s derogatory or demeaning – I think of/call myself an American. If someone asks what the accent is all about I tell them. If not, we just carry on.

Entelechy on October 21, 2007 at 4:53 PM

profitsbeard on October 21, 2007 at 2:49 PM

What the state really needs is an no bull meeting of the minds about what New Orleans should look like after any reconstruction efforts. In less than 100 years it is predicted that much of the city will be underwater due to wetlands erosion and would need 50 foot or higher levees to protect it.
People are going to have to realize that while it is an extremely important port and commerce area, not all the housing and pre-Katrina buildings can or should be put back up.
The 2010 census will take away 2 state representatives and the much reduced population will disqualify NO from a variety of procedural rules for federal funds it currently enjoys.

Bradky on October 21, 2007 at 5:09 PM

Entelechy on October 21, 2007 at 3:50 PM

I’ll probably get flamed for my opinion but here goes:

Jindal, reportedly had a lot of support from young people as well as significant support from the black community. This is important in showing that maybe, just maybe, the citizens of the state can rally around someone and put many of the differences aside for improvement.
What the non-white/non-black citizens will tell you in Louisiana is that the animosity and distrust between the blacks and whites marginalizes the interests of any other ethnic group, of which there are many here. Jindal’s election may be the turning point at which people tire of the infighting.

Long story short is you may finally see a politician that can accomplish the feat of being a uniter and not a divider in practice.

Bradky on October 21, 2007 at 5:14 PM

At least for now, I have much hope for Louisiana.

Indeed. If Jindal had lost, we were seriously considering packing it in and moving away – as hard as we’ve been working for the last two years both with the rebuilding, and on the political front – if Louisiana had rejected Jindal now, it would have been the last straw.

Laura on October 21, 2007 at 5:14 PM

So, if I hyphenate myself, does this mean I’m an american-dane? Seriously, it’s so stupid.

I truly hope Jindal the american can help the state of Louisiana. Congrats to him!

yggdrasil on October 21, 2007 at 5:25 PM

I’m an English-Irish-Scottish-Kickass-American. And don’t anybody shorten that or I’LL GET OFFENDED!

BKennedy on October 21, 2007 at 5:38 PM

Reading this article is enriching and inspiring.

Entelechy on October 21, 2007 at 5:39 PM

If you can demonstrate where this guy has written about democrats “the party of Hillary Clinton Jimmy Carter fill in the name” then maybe your post will at the very least have some substance. Nice of you to tell Bryan how to write.

Wade on October 21, 2007 at 10:34 AM

Sorry Wade, but slp is right. Admittedly, he’s lacking in tact when he accuses Bryan of “paranoia” (especially when suspicion of the media is more and more justified by the day), but his overall point is correct, and I laid it out myself earlier:

RightWinged on October 21, 2007 at 9:00 AM

Because some of your are still lazy, I’ll repeat it once more.

It was a paper out of India. You know, as in halfway around the world where “Republican” likely doesn’t mean anything. For an Indian paper to mention this is not strange at all. Again, slp was a bit tactless, but he’s right, and I’m surprised Bryan didn’t realize he was posting a quote from an Indian paper. If it were CBS or the AP, he’d have had a point to complain about the line.

That said, as I also explained, there was some justified outrage at the MSM’s coverage of this. Follow my links, the Associate Press neglected to mention that he was a Republican, because minorities are only allowed to be Democrats. We’ve seen how the left and their media treats minority Republicans in the past, so it’s to be expected. But THAT is justified outrage… the failure to mention that he’s a Republican. It’s one thing to bury the mention, but to completely omit his party affiliation makes the intent clear.

RightWinged on October 21, 2007 at 5:47 PM

(cont.)… and Wade, if you still aren’t getting slp’s overall point.. it’s that Jindal is of Indian descent (not to mention his age), which is why he was being covered in an Indian paper to begin with. You aren’t going to find this hypothetical Clinton/Carter type quote in an article in an Indian paper, unless there is some notable elected Democrat of Indian descent, get it?

RightWinged on October 21, 2007 at 5:49 PM

I don’t think he was a Democrat at any point.

Bradky on October 21, 2007 at 9:56 AM

Growing up like him, and with so much brain and opportunity, in the new land of his parents, how could he ever have been one? Never. This is something the media, nor the lefties will ever understand. It’s simply undescribable.

Entelechy on October 21, 2007 at 5:50 PM

We are so excited that Jindal won in the primary. The race was getting pretty ugly.

This is the first time in a long time that New Orleans didn’t determine the outcome of a governors race. Even John Georges with his millions could get enough people to vote against Jindal.

This gives us a chance to change.

roux on October 21, 2007 at 6:07 PM

“could” should be “could not”

roux on October 21, 2007 at 6:08 PM

Hummus for Everyone!

Kini on October 21, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Kermit on October 21, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Thank you for excellent reporting.

RushBaby on October 21, 2007 at 11:34 PM

Is it just me or does this guy look like he has a spray-on tan gone bad???

stacman on October 21, 2007 at 11:35 PM

]
The Race Card on October 21, 2007 at 3:40 PM

Nope. I think they are: Post-modern-more-elitist/”enlightened”-and-euphemistically,
more feministic-than-thou.

I challenge you to recall a single time I have invoked my ethic heritage here on HA. I am a first-gen immigrant, naturalized American, who had completely abandoned my “ethnic” chains.

baldilocks on October 21, 2007 at 4:24 PM

And you, of all people, smiled at this. Tell my why, my friend. I do not understand.

RushBaby on October 21, 2007 at 11:50 PM

In New Orleans Times theres 4 page story about Jindal winning and not one mention of him being republican..but a quick Find tool feature shows the word democrat mentioned many times.

malkinmania on October 22, 2007 at 1:08 AM

Entelechy, one of my ancestors hails from Transylvania (1880′s?) so I suppose I’ll wear the badge “Translyvanian-American” too. I’ll admit, I did enjoy eating at Straya’s.

Meanwhile, I’m not surprised at Jindal’s win. LA has always bounced between extremes in the Governor’s Mansion in Baton Rouge. For years, it was a two step-one step tango: Edwin Edwards would serve two terms as Governor, then the state would elect a conservative Republican to serve the “off term” before Edwards could be re-elected again. Dave Treen, Buddy Roemer, and Mike Foster are good examples of this dance.

However, things just might be a-changin’. Edwards is gone (FINALLY!), Blanco couldn’t hide her colossal incompetence, and New Orleans and its Democratic underclass voting bloc (that is, the Projects) are scattered to the winds. Ditto for the Parish and its special kind of graft.

Maybe there’s hope yet.

And btw, I’ll date myself here: I am old enough to remember BRILAB and its sting of Rick Tonry. That scandal was big news when I was a kid, growing up in Chalmette.

Wanderlust on October 22, 2007 at 1:57 AM

malkinmania on October 22, 2007 at 1:08 AM

Good call, so it’s not just the Associated Press who just “forgot” to mention Jindal’s party affiliation. Again, I’m sure it had nothing to do with the fact that minorities are simply not allowed to be Republicans, in the eyes of the media, Hollywood, and the Democrats. Usually when a minority steps over to our side, they’re called “Uncle Tom”, or they’re photoshopped in blackface, or they’re called “house boys”, or their eyes are photoshopped by the MSM to make them look evil, etc. etc. In this case, the media just wants to pretend that party affiliation doesn’t exist, so they don’t have to speak the unspeakable words… he’s a minority and a Republican!!! ~~~SHOCKWAVES~~~

RightWinged on October 22, 2007 at 3:14 AM

RushBaby on October 21, 2007 at 11:50 PM

Don’t get all butthurt. I never accused you of invoking your ethnic heritage above and beyond your American citizenship.

It seems that you are unable or unwilling to perceive other people’s choices from their vantage point. Is it so unlikely that I woman would like to keep her last name without being Post-modern-more-elitist/”enlightened”-and-euphemistically, more feministic-than-thou?

There are many circumstances which might cause a woman to keep her name. My point is that self-identfication is usually based on a range of factors.

Most important and glaring is your ignoring the meatier part of my commment, the comments about many Americans referring to themselves in terms of ethnicity.

Instead you pose a straw man argument. By doing so, you have shown your cards. Your goal is to win the argument, not to reach mutual understanding. You will be right no matter what I say. That is a very powerful position to hold.

Glancing at your reply once more, I get the sense that it was very important for you to let all of us know just how righteous you are.

Enjoy the self-congrats. I hope it’s cathartic. Thanks for becoming an American.

The Race Card on October 22, 2007 at 3:32 AM

that I a woman

The Race Card on October 22, 2007 at 3:34 AM

Your goal is to win the argument, not to reach mutual understanding.

The Race Card on October 22, 2007 at 3:32 AM

I did something here that I find abhorrent. I spoke for you. Bad dog, no beer!

How can I know your goal? Without hearing it from you, I cannot. No matter how transparent I believe you to be, I should not make such declarations. Sorry.

I place a premium on clarity; so let me clarify what I meant to say: I get the impression that you are more interested in winning the argument, which you see as a contest, rather than attaining what I perceive to be a mutual understanding of disparate concepts.

These divergent goals bar any meaningful argument between us. My facts are no match for your imagination.

I hope that clears things up. I don’t mind being hated, as long as its for the right reasons.

The Race Card on October 22, 2007 at 3:48 AM

Wanderlust – I forgot you were from The Parish – any comment on Lena Torres’ re-election? :-)

Laura on October 22, 2007 at 4:51 AM

An election on a Saturday in October? That’s crazy! Sounds like Republican shenanigans again.

frankj on October 21, 2007 at 8:59 AM

Louisiana has an “open” primary. Cross-over voting is allowed, since all candidates are on the ballot. If no candidate gets a clear majority ( greater than 50% ), a run-off election is held in November between the top two candidates. Last time, Jindal got less than the absolute majority, and the demoncrat smear machine went into overdrive. I think after Katrina, a lot of those people who were swayed into voting for blanco had “buyer’s regret.”

Glad to see a majority of the voters there have wisened up somewhat.

Texas Nick 77 on October 22, 2007 at 5:32 AM

The Sec of Treas – Kennedy was not even opposed. He recently switched parties because he is a conservative in makeup. He has handled the state coffers in a most conservative manner and spoken out publicly time and time again about waste and mismanagement, particularly by the present governor and even offered proof that she lied about not having received federal funds after Katrina.

Kermit on October 21, 2007 at 11:38 AM

From what my brother told me yesterday, he may be considering a US Senate run next time to replace Mary Landrieu. Keep your fingers crossed… he is VERY popular down there. It would be a great improvement in the Senate if he ran and won.

Texas Nick 77 on October 22, 2007 at 5:52 AM

BKennedy on October 21, 2007 at 5:38 PM

I’m a “Heinz-57″. Part German, part Dutch, part Scottish, part Choctaw, part Irish, etc. But 100% American.

Texas Nick 77 on October 22, 2007 at 6:04 AM

Since Jindal’s race/heritage is a factor in the reporting of this election. I would offer the following food for thought:

The Indian ethnicity is a subset of the Caucasian race. Indians will tell you that they are Caucasian. OK, maybe note “white”. But according to the Craniofacial anthropometry theory of racial classification, Indians are Caucasian.

It’s the AP/CBS version of the story that identifies Jindal as “non-white”. The NDTV simply highlights his Indian heritage.

kooly on October 21, 2007 at 10:10 AM

So it is with Ethiopians and Somalians too

TheSitRep on October 22, 2007 at 8:21 AM

This is great news. Congratulations Gov. Jindal!

CP on October 22, 2007 at 9:02 AM

WHOHOOOO!!!! Congrats Governor Jindal!!

Now show that state what it’s like to be run by an honest man!! They’ll not know what to do with themselves!

tickleddragon on October 22, 2007 at 9:45 AM

Concrats Govenor Jindal. Now comes the tough part; fixing that state up.

oldelpasoan on October 22, 2007 at 10:44 AM

The Race Card on October 22, 2007 at 3:48 AM

Nice. My opinion is imagination, and I am a hater. I prescribe some introspection on your part, so you can clarify why you reacted so strongly.

RushBaby on October 22, 2007 at 10:53 AM

A couple of things…

Someone mentioned the New Orleans Times (Picayune should be at the end of this) Both my wife and I noticed that in AP articles the TP (as many call it) ALWAYS softens things that denote Islam. And I do mean always. Compared to the Baton Rouge Morning Advocate, the TP omits and replaces words from AP articles. And we all know Islamofascism is softened up quite a bit by the MSM.

It is widely known that Kennedy will more than likely be the opponent against Mary (Thorazine Shuffle) Landrieu and with proper support easily win a bid to become the other Conservative Republican Senator from LA. New Orleans will not play nearly as large a role in future elections. After all, who wants to move there? My wife left in ’99 due it had become a third world city with perpetual partially funded projects (including roads and sewers) that would take years just to repave a few blocks of residential streets. Also, there are constant leaks to the city water system that just keep re-occurring and re-occurring at each and every “repair” Anyone who has ever lived there is quite certain that the Morials, et al have a lot of funds parked in offshore accounts.

Kermit on October 22, 2007 at 2:31 PM

RushBaby on October 22, 2007 at 10:53 AM

Thank you for illustrating my point better than I could state it. Again, your imagination has injected into the discussion. For, you are referring to and alledging statements, which I never made.

Nobody called you a hater. Curiously, though, you cause to refer to yourself thusly.

Also, I am glad you see the strength in my argument. Now go twist what someone else says in response to you and put that imagination to work.

I called Rush’s show once; during our chat he asked me “Are you always so intorospective?” Now you, Rushbaby, are prescribing introspection to me. Based on your continued self-deprication, I might offer the same suggestion, reciprocally.

Talk about playing the victim.

The Race Card on October 22, 2007 at 3:53 PM