Video: Rep. Pete Stark’s nutroots-flavored rant; Update: Veto override vote fails; Update: Stark thanks dKos for its support

posted at 1:17 pm on October 18, 2007 by Bryan

Michelle was liveblogging the S-CHIP debate at the time, and mentioned Crazy Pete’s rant.

Update 11:17am Eastern. Rep. Pete Stark starts blabbering about Republicans who don’t want to spend money on children, but instead want to spend it on “an illegal war” to be fought by children whom Republicans want to send to Iraq to “blow people up” and “get their heads blown up” for “his amusement.”

Stark: “Bush just likes to blow things up!!!”

Making atheists everywhere proud, I’m sure.

Well, here’s the video.

The man is a demagogic lunatic.

Update: The veto override vote has failed, 273-156.

Update: Stark thanks his natural constituency for its support.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

The override failed.

amerpundit on October 18, 2007 at 1:20 PM

You know, Hugo Chavez is a Christian, right?

I won’t associate you with him, please don’t tie this Stark moron to all Atheists.

JayHaw Phrenzie on October 18, 2007 at 1:22 PM

Senile.

Nessuno on October 18, 2007 at 1:22 PM

Pete ‘Butthead’ Starks: “Uh-huhuhuh…explosions are like, cool and stuff.”

James on October 18, 2007 at 1:22 PM

Stark joins Dawkins, Hitch, & the French as the reasonable, fair, & rational poster boys for atheism.

jgapinoy on October 18, 2007 at 1:23 PM

The man is a demagogic lunatic leftist.

FTFY

Bad Candy on October 18, 2007 at 1:24 PM

Hugo Chavez a Christian? Gimme a break. Christianity is defined by lifestyle as much as it is by belief (Jesus said, “You will know them by their deeds”).

jgapinoy on October 18, 2007 at 1:26 PM

JayHaw Phrenzie on October 18, 2007 at 1:22 PM

I doubt Chavez’s Christianity given his open embrace of Communism and Islamism, but fair enough. We Christers just don’t get to give back the snark that we get from atheists often enough, so I took a shot at an open goal.

Bryan on October 18, 2007 at 1:27 PM

Amazing.

Kensington on October 18, 2007 at 1:28 PM

Well done.

Valiant on October 18, 2007 at 1:32 PM

Pete Stark, real name: Fortney Hillman Stark, Jr

Fortney Hillman Stark, Jr. did not support the original CHIP bill.

Redbird on October 18, 2007 at 1:35 PM

Well its true that Atheists like to pull out the moral superiorty card as much as evangelicals.

But this thread is about Stark and this is the face of our next congress if we lose big in 2008

William Amos on October 18, 2007 at 1:36 PM

Well Pete stark is consistent. I mean schips will insure so called children who are up to age 25. so of course those who have chosen to enlist at age 18+ should be called children.

I swear to god the bay area needs a good enema to flush all the liberal bs out once and for all.

I’ll be taking refuge on top of Sonoma mountain until the brown tide subsides.

Mojack420 on October 18, 2007 at 1:36 PM

Making atheists everywhere proud, I’m sure.

Damn.

Allahpundit on October 18, 2007 at 1:36 PM

Rep. Pete Stark has overdosed on the Democrat prescription plan of mandatory stupid pills.

Kini on October 18, 2007 at 1:37 PM

On behalf of every soldier putting their life on the line, I would like to slap this ignorant putz so hard he ends up with both ears on the same side of his empty skull.

fogw on October 18, 2007 at 1:42 PM

registration’s open at LGF

RushBaby on October 18, 2007 at 1:46 PM

fogw on October 18, 2007 at 1:42 PM

That might be kind of hard since his head is securely wedge deep up his own arse.

Mojack420 on October 18, 2007 at 1:46 PM

You know, Hugo Chavez is a Christian, right?

Double damn.

Allahpundit on October 18, 2007 at 1:47 PM

Wow, just wow. Talk about completely inappropriate. It’s just so not the appropriate thing to say. Even if he actually believes his childish rhetoric, he’s crossed the line. But I suppose that a political party that calls Pres. Bush and Vice Pres. Cheney “Hitler” and allows themselves to be supported by Truthers don’t realize that they’ve crossed the line so far that the line is a dot to them.

mjk on October 18, 2007 at 1:48 PM

registration’s open at LGF

RushBaby on October 18, 2007 at 1:46 PM

ws00t w00t…thank you RushBaby I’ve been trying to get registered there for about a year and a half……

doriangrey on October 18, 2007 at 1:50 PM

This is shaping up to be an awesome news day.

askheaves on October 18, 2007 at 1:55 PM

Rush just said Stark is a certifiable lunatic and probably shows up to work in a little yellow bus everyday and then goes back the “happy home”.

Lol, damn.

CP on October 18, 2007 at 1:56 PM

Mulligans of America! It’s time we stood up and demanded that everyone in Congress retire so we can have a “do over!”

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on October 18, 2007 at 1:57 PM

I’m always amazed how these people ever get elected to any office. Crazy….

ahkjr33 on October 18, 2007 at 1:58 PM

RushBaby on October 18, 2007 at 1:46 PM

Finally snagged an account, I won’t comment there often, but its a b*tch to snag an account over there cuz registrations so tight, so just having one is impressive enough.

Bad Candy on October 18, 2007 at 2:00 PM

The only woman I knew from Stark’s district is also the only woman who rejected me for being too conservative. Though I get a feeling that might have played a role in my breakups with the two women I dated in Watson’s district. Good times.

calbear on October 18, 2007 at 2:04 PM

I’m always amazed how these people ever get elected to any office. Crazy….

ahkjr33 on October 18, 2007 at 1:58 PM

Take a trip to the bay area and you will understand. It is a different USA there.

Wade on October 18, 2007 at 2:06 PM

There are people in California who voted for this dingbat? He’s being paid by the U.S. taxpayers? This dweeb makes Cynthia McKinney look sane!

Jonas Parker on October 18, 2007 at 2:08 PM

RushBaby on October 18, 2007 at 1:46 PM

OMG I thought I would never get an account there.

Thanks!!!

JayHaw Phrenzie on October 18, 2007 at 2:08 PM

You are all quite welcome! You will make fiiiiiiiine Lizards!

RushBaby on October 18, 2007 at 2:09 PM

registration’s open at LGF

RushBaby on October 18, 2007 at 1:46 PM

Thanks! I’ve been trying for years to get an account there, but always just a little too late… unfortunately my work spam filter may have bounced the registration e-mail :(

Hopefully Charles will have mercy on me and allow me to change it.

Hollowpoint on October 18, 2007 at 2:10 PM

Stark (D-CA): “Bush just likes to blow things up!!!”

Wu (D-Seti Alpha Six): “Yeah, using photon torpedos. Damn Klingons!”

BohicaTwentyTwo on October 18, 2007 at 2:11 PM

Thanks for the link to LGF’s registration–I’ve been trying to register for years!

Vanceone on October 18, 2007 at 2:14 PM

jgapinoy on October 18, 2007 at 1:23 PM

Go deliver the mail, would ya? I need my unemployment check :D

It’s getting to be pretty easy these days to find poster
children for any dysfunctional group – you just need to
look at the dhimmicratic party.

dhimmicrats – because no one else would let them join their party…

Timothy S. Carlson on October 18, 2007 at 2:20 PM

This kind of conduct by Stark is nothing new….

In 1990 Stark drew controversy for called Secretary Louis Wade Sullivan, an African American, “a disgrace to his race“.

Stark has also called fellow Congressman Scott McInnis a “little wimp” and a “little fruitcake” and challenged him to a fight during a Ways and Means Committee meeting.

During a 2001 debate Stark made a reference to the children of Rep. J.C. Watts as being ‘born out of wedlock’.

Stark has also accused former Rep. Nancy Johnson, R-Conn., of being a “whore for the insurance industry” and suggested that her knowledge of health care came solely from “pillow talk” with her husband, who is a physician.

In addition, Stark attacked former conservative California state welfare director Eloise Anderson in 1999 as a baby-killer, complaining at a public forum that she would “kill children if she had her way” because she opposed particular policy proposals.

The San Francisco Chronicle editorialized, “Only a politician who assumes he has a job for life could behave so badly on a semi-regular basis by spewing personalized invective that might get him punched in certain East Bay taverns …

In recent times Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington brought to attention that Stark paid his wife Deborah $176,800 over three election cycles for her work as a campaign treasurer.

Quite a resume. And this Berkeley grad and former Vietnam War protester has been in office for 34 years.

Nice going California.

fogw on October 18, 2007 at 2:20 PM

registration’s open at LGF

RushBaby on October 18, 2007 at 1:46 PM

Thanks, I’m in. Woohoo!

hollygolightly on October 18, 2007 at 2:21 PM

This SOB is my congressman. The local GOP is DOA and my county, Alameda, has the second lowest GOP registration percentage in the state (17% vs. San Francisco with about 10%, FYI Orange = 47%). There’s little hope of getting rid of this jacka$$ until such time as he just decides to give up. I am almost mortally embarrassed to have him as my congressman but the gerrymandered districts guarantee him office for life. What a shame.

BananaSlug on October 18, 2007 at 2:30 PM

Nice going California.

fogw on October 18, 2007 at 2:20 PM

No kidding.

This punk needs to resign.

sunny on October 18, 2007 at 2:32 PM

I suppose gerrymandering has nothing to do with it, afterall. It’s just that everyone in my area is a liberal and most of the conservatives get fed up and move out of the area. My wife (from the conservative Ventura County: 39% GOP, 38% Dem) hates it here precisely because of the stifling political atmosphere.

Anyone who reads Zombie’s photo blog of the Bay Area nuts knows about the rallies, marches, etc., but the political nuttiness is endemic. It’s everywhere, every day, and it can get depressing even to a native of the area.

Anyway, if you live somewhere else, be thankful.

Oh, and I paid $3.51 for mid-range gas this morning in San Jose.

BananaSlug on October 18, 2007 at 2:36 PM

LGF registration closed….damn, I just missed it!

dont taze me bro on October 18, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Pete Stark == leftist turd.

georgej on October 18, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Well I guess he now has a lock on the Code Pink vote.

CommentGuy on October 18, 2007 at 2:53 PM

My family lives in Cupertino. I can’t even stand to visit there anymore. It’s such a shame. It was once so lovely. Many years ago I lived for a time in Saratoga.

JiangxiDad on October 18, 2007 at 2:53 PM

Hit the LGF window just before it closed and got registered.

CommentGuy on October 18, 2007 at 2:53 PM

This is the ‘face and sounds’ of the lib dems…he owes our troops a ‘major’…I’M SO SORRY…wonder why he wasn’t condemned by the ‘leader’…nancy poloser…???…

areseaoh on October 18, 2007 at 2:54 PM

You know, Hugo Chavez is a Christian, right?

JayHaw Phrenzie on October 18, 2007 at 1:22 PM

I guess the devil himself could CLAIM to be a Christian. It does not matter what Chavez claims to be, he is clearly no Christian.

Maxx on October 18, 2007 at 2:56 PM

So, exactly how old are “children” to to Pete Stark? 18-19 apparently is still a child. Is 22 still a child? 25? 30?

Now I see why S-CHIP needed more money… it all depends on what the meaning of the word “children” is.

S-CHIP; Hillarycare by a different name, because we’re going to treat all adults like children. With support like that, why didn’t it pass?

gekkobear on October 18, 2007 at 2:59 PM

Only rarely do I wish to have the capability of LGF commentary due to the high traffic count of most threads there it is a high threshold to really impact the threads, but I at least now have that option for issues I consider the need to comment on.

CommentGuy on October 18, 2007 at 3:01 PM

Starke took three swings at the same mantra during the debate, I am sure he will backpedal and claim out of context or such.

I can’t wait for media matters to put out an action memo about his swiftboating by the right.

CommentGuy on October 18, 2007 at 3:10 PM

The nation’s highest ranking atheist speaks.

It’s a step down from Pat Robertson in clarity and coherence.

That’s pure, uncut shadenfreude.

I’m ashamed of myself for enjoying it so much.

John on October 18, 2007 at 3:12 PM

I’m always amazed how these people ever get elected to any office. Crazy….

ahkjr33 on October 18, 2007 at 1:58 PM

Stark’s district in CA is in the bay area (obviously), where sane thinking people are way outnumbered by moonbats. There are prominent legislators in Sacramento that are equally if not more looney than he is. Here’s an example of the lunacy:

Such is the sad condition of this state.

infidel4life on October 18, 2007 at 3:19 PM

They’re suppositories, aren’t they?

andycanuck on October 18, 2007 at 3:24 PM

Stark is a flaming ass leftist and somebody should have slapped him up along side the head.

rplat on October 18, 2007 at 3:35 PM

Bryan, sorry for the e-mail I just sent you on this story, I guess I should open my eyes or refresh my page.

abinitioadinfinitum on October 18, 2007 at 3:35 PM

Bananaslug,

Sadly, he’s my congressman too. My wife and I refer to him as Congressman Pottymouth. I challenge anyone to name a current representative who brings more shame and humiliation to his constituents? (No, Idaho: I’m not counting senators.)

aunursa on October 18, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Anyone have a link to his bio page?
I’d like to send him a mind-blowing email…
s/off
Thanks :)

Biffstir on October 18, 2007 at 4:44 PM

aunursa on October 18, 2007 at 3:48 PM

I’ll try to take that challenge. How about Reps McCollum, Ellison( Mr. Jihad), Walz for starters from MN. I have to add Amy (Klobochump)Klobochar although she is a Senator.

MNDavenotPC on October 18, 2007 at 4:49 PM

aunursa on October 18, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Wow, Stark’s just as big a tool as he’s made himself out to be. Didn’t learn his lesson in ’04, eh?

Biffstir on October 18, 2007 at 4:50 PM

Oh and Reps Ramstad and Oberstar…. shall I continue?…..lol

MNDavenotPC on October 18, 2007 at 4:51 PM

BananaSlug on October 18, 2007 at 4:53 PM

Doesn’t he like have a dog to walk or something.

How do these people EVER get elected. . .

Texyank on October 18, 2007 at 5:14 PM

This lunatic happens to represent my area. I have gone to one of his town hall meetings, and they are love fests with all the liberals. of course, What do you expect from a town that is 90% liberal.

Pete Stark needs to go, but he is entrenched as deep as Kennedy is in Massachussets.

This has always been Pete Stark’s modus operandi.

Flood his switchboard with phone calls 510-494-1388 (fremont) 202-225-5065 (Washington)

God help us all. This is what we have to expect if the liberals retake power.

Mark

“Everybody in politics lies, but [the Clintons] do it with such ease, it’s troubling.”

David Geffen – Former Clinton supporter and Hollywood mogul

mark24609 on October 18, 2007 at 5:15 PM

the kos thread is actually hilarious.

please give your fellow congresspeople some
of what you have been eating/drinking.

to many things to say with this

re: some of what you have been eating/drinking

Must be high in calcium – sure helps maintain a strong spine

WOW.

CaptainObvious on October 18, 2007 at 5:19 PM

I called Stark’s Washington office and told them I was a Vietnam veteran, USMC and my son is in the USAF and that I would happily challenge him to a fight. They hung up on me. Doh!

MNDavenotPC on October 18, 2007 at 5:26 PM

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on October 18, 2007 at 1:57 PM

Hear, hear!

Longhorn Six on October 18, 2007 at 5:30 PM

BTW, if it helps you CA conservatives, at least I don’t believe you can boast that the voters of your state elected a vegetable to congress. Maryland did.

Gosh I miss flyover country…

Longhorn Six on October 18, 2007 at 5:32 PM

Stark should be recalled and cast out of office right now! Why the hell are jackasses like him even allowed time in front of a microphone?!!!!

pilamaye on October 18, 2007 at 6:18 PM

You know, Hugo Chavez is a Christian, right?

And according to this, the Myanmar junta believes religion limits human progress. Hence, their general willingness to machine-gun Buddhist monks and stated desire to “destroy Christianity”.

Tat.

John on October 18, 2007 at 6:27 PM

I’ll bet Keith Olbermann will name Stark “Worst Person in the World” today.

Don’t you think?

MayBee on October 18, 2007 at 6:35 PM

How can one party have so many flaming idiots? It’s like all the crazies from the asylums decided to run for political office as Dhimmicrats.

docdave on October 18, 2007 at 6:46 PM

Michelle said:

“I yield myself two minutes. Madam speaker, I, first of all, I’m just amazed that they can’t figure out — the Republicans are worried that they can’t pay for insuring an additional 10 million children. They sure don’t care about finding $200 billion to fight the illegal war in Iraq. Where are you going to get that money? Are you going to tell us lies like you’re telling us today? Is that how you’re going to fund the war? You don’t have money to fund the war on children. But you’re going to spend it to blow up innocent people if he can get enough kids to grow old enough for you to send to Iraq to get their heads blown off for the President’s amusement.”

Don’t question his patriotism. Question his sanity.

Congressman Stark’s actions and words would certainly cause one to question his sanity as well as his patriotism.

Congressman Stark, Resign.Today.

Zorro on October 18, 2007 at 6:47 PM

I question his literacy.

Nonfactor, any thoughts on the legitimacy of liberal Democrat discourse?

Jaibones on October 18, 2007 at 7:02 PM

nuance

CommentGuy on October 18, 2007 at 7:25 PM

time to retire.

madmonkphotog on October 18, 2007 at 7:53 PM

Bryan on October 18, 2007 at 1:27 PM

He shoots, and he scores! :)

wytammic on October 18, 2007 at 8:14 PM

Congressman, our country would have had a hell of a lot more money for children’s health if your Democratic party hadn’t championed abortion. It is a procedure which has resulted in the legal slaughter of an estimated 46 million babies in their mothers’ wombs. (http://www.prolifeaction.org/faq/abortion.htm#total) Let me point out that that’s not particularly good for their health. And that’s also more than double the number of people Hitler murdered. So who’s the heartless monster now, Congressman, our wartime president, or you, the jerk?

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on October 18, 2007 at 9:20 PM

I question his literacy.

Nonfactor, any thoughts on the legitimacy of liberal Democrat discourse?

Jaibones on October 18, 2007 at 7:02 PM

Nonfactor? Nonfactor?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Jaibones on October 18, 2007 at 9:36 PM

The nation’s highest ranking atheist speaks.

That’s pure, uncut shadenfreude.

John on October 18, 2007 at 3:12 PM

“Hey, that’s great Schadenfreude!”

Jaibones on October 18, 2007 at 9:40 PM

Gosh I miss flyover country…

Longhorn Six on October 18, 2007 at 5:32 PM

I’m ready to move back…

eanax on October 18, 2007 at 9:57 PM

Classic California liberal… Oh well it will fall in the ocean or be taken over by mexico.

build the wall on October 18, 2007 at 10:21 PM

Pete Stark: giving colostomy bags a run for their money.

While he should be wrapped in screed-covered cardboard and drooling in the Mission District about radio beams controlling his thoughts, somehow he ends up in Congress.

Want to explain that little oversight, California?

profitsbeard on October 18, 2007 at 10:47 PM

I’m ready to move back…

eanax on October 18, 2007 at 9:57 PM

Where? Seriously, I really need to know where to move out of this Socialist nightmare we call Kalifornia.

infidel4life on October 18, 2007 at 10:48 PM

The problem is Congressman Stark will not resign. He has a pattern of egregious behavior. He believes in his deluded mind that this is somehow patriotic. I just called his office in Fremont and Washington. Fremont asked what district I was from, I am in his district. The operator said he would send me a letter. The guy already sends me email which I put in my spam folder – is that not enough? Washington tried to defend his actions. Not sure how you can defend an indefensible act, but that is the liberal way.

Mark

David Geffen – Former Clinton supporter and Hollywood mogul

mark24609 on October 18, 2007 at 11:04 PM

Stark thanks dKos for its support

I can’t wait until the primaries are over, and the bill for the sale of the Dems soul to the devil (nutroots, in this case) comes due. As Hillary tacks back to the center, here comes Code Pink, screaming at her at every campaign stop, the DU, Kos, and Rosy ripping her a new one morning, noon, and night–talk of 3rd parties, and if Nader gets in 4th parties–oh is it going to be entertaining. And Hillary risks getting exposed, for all to see as the opportunistic flip-flopping piece of political detritus that she is, because the MSM will cover what the netroots say, while generally they ignore what the conservative blogosphere says.

smellthecoffee on October 18, 2007 at 11:12 PM

Stark raving mad.

Buy Danish on October 19, 2007 at 12:11 AM

Every time I think that the Democrats can’t possibly top their ludicrous and traitorous statements, one of them pulls something like this out of the bag.

Unbelieveable.

Jodella on October 19, 2007 at 12:14 AM

Just heard Frank Luntz DESTROY Stark and the Dem nutroots for Stark’s nutroots comment (on H&C). Beyond a pollster, Luntz is an effective commentator. Didn’t know he had it in him.

petefrt on October 19, 2007 at 12:44 AM

Hugo Chavez is probably Catholic.

Agrippa2k on October 19, 2007 at 1:37 AM

Wow. I don’t know what’s more inflammatory: the video or the comments on this page.

Black Adam on October 19, 2007 at 1:33 PM

I’m still holding my breath waiting for the Dems to condemn Stark…..waiting, waitin, turning blue….If any Dem running for president had a clue, they’d come out swinging against his attack. How much further in polls do the House and Senate intend to fall before they hit bottom?

As far as wanting to leave Kalifornia – you’ll miss it, I do, less the more time elapses. There are some pretty nice places out there if you look. Use vacation to visit some of those states with less population, lower taxes, and make some plans. It’s not going to get better there. You can always visit Big Sur, at least until the reconquistas bar tourism.

24K lady on October 19, 2007 at 2:57 PM