Video: Jihad comes to Imaginationland

posted at 9:00 am on October 18, 2007 by Allahpundit

Lots of tips last night about South Park, some even before the show had finished airing. The subplot about Kyle’s contract with Cartman was even funnier than what you’re about to see but I can’t post that for reasons that will be obvious to you if you caught the episode.

Sadly omitted from the otherwise sterling sequence that follows: Butters’s hostage tape. I’m sure that’ll surface on YouTube somewhere today; in the meantime, content yourself with the sight of Al Qaeda beating him with rifle butts.

Note the religious figures at the beginning of the clip among the fictional characters of Imaginationland. Heh.

Update: Here’s the whole episode. Lots of testicle humor.

Comments

So what’s the message here, that suicide bombers are part of the “whacky crazy things humans made up over the years”?

AlexB on October 18, 2007 at 9:05 AM

I thought hte Judge had a bit of a Hillary look to her, but perhaps there is another TV judge I am not aware of.

bbz123 on October 18, 2007 at 9:06 AM

Can someone sum up for people at work? I missed this last night as I had important things to do last night, my group needed a Medic in Team Fortress 2.

Dash on October 18, 2007 at 9:09 AM

Jesus wasn’t there. ;)

Harpazo on October 18, 2007 at 9:09 AM

This is simple the best show on TV. If you don’t believe me you can Kyle my Cartmans!

liberrocky on October 18, 2007 at 9:09 AM

Jesus wasn’t there. ;)

Um thats ’cause Jesus is a real historical figure…and he host “Jesus and Pals” on South Park Public Access

liberrocky on October 18, 2007 at 9:11 AM

I saw this last night – the ‘saving private ryan’ seq

Keli on October 18, 2007 at 9:12 AM

Ronald McDonald is real. I’ve seen him!

saint kansas on October 18, 2007 at 9:13 AM

doh – don’t really know what happened there….but I was going to say, the ‘saving private ryan’ sequence cracked me up

Keli on October 18, 2007 at 9:14 AM

Full episode:

Vincenzo on October 18, 2007 at 9:15 AM

So far this is one of the best episodes yet. Can’t wait for part 2 next week!

I loved it when Butters tried to talk the jihadis outta their mission, and the mayor or whatever said “That was your plan? to TALK to them? That’s STUPID!” hahaha Yup, sure is.

Tony737 on October 18, 2007 at 9:17 AM

brilliant.

was that big Mo in the minaret?

wordwarp on October 18, 2007 at 9:18 AM

Keli, yeah that part was great!

And where the Pentagon tried talking to Micheal Bay!

“That’s not idea, that’s special effects.”

“I don’t know the difference.”

“Yes, we know you don’t.”

HAHA! That was killer. Hey, why was the old Army dude in charge only a Staff Sgt?

Tony737 on October 18, 2007 at 9:21 AM

Jesus wasn’t there. ;)

That’s only because you’re not allowed to show cartoons of Jesus on TV.

saint kansas on October 18, 2007 at 9:22 AM

You love that, don’t you Mr. Maher… er…Allapundit

edgehead on October 18, 2007 at 9:27 AM

Hmmmmmm, I didn’t find this excerpt “funny”, I found it remarkably chilling. It is brilliantly done though, with all the symbols and products of our culture, like Santa, being destroyed in the name of Allah.

Off to watch the segment from start to finish…

Buy Danish on October 18, 2007 at 9:30 AM

Moses, Joseph Smith, Buddha and Krishna?

Esthier on October 18, 2007 at 9:30 AM

That’s only because you’re not allowed to show cartoons of Jesus on TV.

saint kansas on October 18, 2007 at 9:22 AM

Jesus is a regular feature on the show.

Esthier on October 18, 2007 at 9:31 AM

Yeah, caught this last night…the terrorist bombing sequence was deep…almost a little over-the-top, even by South Park standards. I was like, “wow”…

Maybe I’m wrong here, but are the producers leaning towards “terrorism is only in our imaginations”?

Poor Ronald McDonald…flags at Mickey D’s are at half-staff today.

JetBoy on October 18, 2007 at 9:47 AM

AlexB on October 18, 2007 at 9:05 AM

No, it’s clear that the terrorists are not FROM Imaginationland–they’re attacking it from the real world. (You know, as in “Terrorism works by making people live in fear, imagining what terrorists might do next.”) But even if you interpret it as the jihadists being part of Imaginationland (i.e. made up themselves), you can see that it would in that case be a mockery of people who say that terrorism is just something the Bush administration made up to keep the sheeple fearful and supporting his war (you know, like Bush planned 9/11 so he could attack Iraq for oil). Clearly, terrorism is real, as is evidenced by worldwide explosions and bloodshed practically every day. Believe me, the South Park creators are not trying to say that terrorists are imaginary–far more likely they’re making fun of those who do.

aero on October 18, 2007 at 9:49 AM

Where was the fire that melts steel?

csdeven on October 18, 2007 at 10:08 AM

liberrocky on October 18, 2007 at 9:11 AM

Joseph Smith, Buddha, and Lao Tze are there, and they’re all historical figures (Krishna, not so much).

Harpazo on October 18, 2007 at 10:09 AM

Hmmmmmm, I didn’t find this excerpt “funny”, I found it remarkably chilling.

That’s one of the points of South Park these days. It is the truest form of pure satire on television, and one of the only sensible shows to combine comedy and valid philosophies. Considering how it started, it’s amazing how far it’s come.

The only thing that saddens me is that they didn’t put Muhammed in here. Just for the sake of it:

Episode 4 of season 5, “The Super Best Friends”. Yes, folks. Allah depicted on Comedy Central, before they bent over and abdicated during the “Cartoon Wars” debacle.

MadisonConservative on October 18, 2007 at 10:22 AM

If jihadi bombers could succeed in getting to Main Street of Disneyland or DisneyWorld ( that would be a huge success for them ), or any endearing amusement park or event, like the Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade or the Rose Parade, then this cartoon would not be over the top, but merely a depiction of the reality, almost a rehash.

*** run-on sentence award ****
Yeah!

silverfox on October 18, 2007 at 10:23 AM

aero on October 18, 2007 at 9:49 AM

Agreed, but they also seem to be saying that if we knock down the wall of separation of church and state that evil will be unleashed.

Buy Danish on October 18, 2007 at 10:25 AM

aero on October 18, 2007 at 9:49 AM

I wouldn’t be surprised if they are.

AlexB on October 18, 2007 at 10:26 AM

3rd best show on TV. 1st and 2nd are when MM and MKH are on TV.

Yakko77 on October 18, 2007 at 10:26 AM

silverfox on October 18, 2007 at 10:23 AM

Yeah, well they already succeeded in getting to Main Street, NYC, USA so it’s already a depiction of reality.

The only thing that’s “over the top” is the “suck my balls” theme.

Buy Danish on October 18, 2007 at 10:31 AM

Where are the Apollo moon landings?

csdeven on October 18, 2007 at 10:32 AM

Moses looks like the MCP cone from Tron. (In South Park that is) Jesus looks like… Jesus.

Both weren’t in ImaginationLand.

Also, in the episode it’s pointed out that the terrorists taking over ImaginationLand will mean that people’s imaginations will run wild and out of control… Like believing that Bush is responsible for 9/11. That the terrorists have succeeded in destroying the “wall” means that people will no longer be able to think happy things.
(IMHO)

Skywise on October 18, 2007 at 10:34 AM

Is Butters’ real name “Jack Layton”?
/hoser referenece

andycanuck on October 18, 2007 at 10:37 AM

I thought Cartman represented Mohammed :)

MadisonConservative on October 18, 2007 at 10:22 AM

I didn’t see the Cartoon Wars episode as abdicating. I saw it as a brilliant satire of the media’s capitulation to the false idea that Mohammed’s image can’t be shown.

Buy Danish on October 18, 2007 at 10:40 AM

The only thing that’s “over the top” is the “suck my balls” theme.

Actually, that was the least over-the-top part…Cartman’s been trying to get Stan or Kyle to do that for a while haha…he says it often enough.

Keli on October 18, 2007 at 9:14 AM

Thanks…I missed that it was a Saving Private Ryan reference (it was late…had to catch the midnight repeat) but dang, I was speechless during that segment. I’ll say it again…it was deep.

JetBoy on October 18, 2007 at 10:46 AM

andycanuck on October 18, 2007 at 10:37 AM

Butters is John Edwards.

csdeven on October 18, 2007 at 10:51 AM

My thought is that they are going to depict how incredibly vengeful and brutal we can be when our “dark side” is loosed. The terrorists really have no idea what they are doing to themselves. It’s the whole “waking a sleeping giant thing” all over again. After 9/11 we rolled over and went back to sleep but if they pull off another similar attack, all bets are off.

TBinSTL on October 18, 2007 at 10:51 AM

JetBoy on October 18, 2007 at 10:46 AM

I realize that, and that is one of the things I really don’t like about South Park. It would be a better show if it didn’t cross the line of really bad taste and abject grossness so often.

Since it is brilliant satire, I’d like my 13 year old kid to be able to watch it without me constantly having to interject my moral authority and correct the language he picks up from the show.

Buy Danish on October 18, 2007 at 10:53 AM

South Park is the only show that hits both sides straight between the legs. I try never to miss an episode. Last nights episode was awesome just for the attack scene, a great ode to Saving Private Ryan. Was that a First Blood take with Cartman in the truck at the end?

GREENTURTLE on October 18, 2007 at 10:55 AM

TBinSTL on October 18, 2007 at 10:51 AM

Personally, I’d give that analysis poor marks. The terrorists know perfectly well what they are doing both to themselves and the rest of us.

(IMHO)

Skywise on October 18, 2007 at 10:34 AM

They seem to be confusing “the wall” with Pandora’s Box. I don’t think it has to do with “thinking happy things” so much as letting ideological tyrants destroy the fruits of our imagination – which cumulatively represents our culture.

This is fun – like having a book club without having to serve cocktails and hors d’oeuvres.

Sadly, I have to run. Later!

Buy Danish on October 18, 2007 at 10:59 AM

(IMHO)

Skywise on October 18, 2007 at 10:34 AM

This is how I saw it as well. I thought this was a pretty great episode — it had a lot of jabs to throw (Mel Gibson — ha!), but had a pretty strong foundational message as well. I’m looking forward to next week to seeing what evil things come from the bad side of Imaginationland — perhaps that is where the conspiracy theories will come into play. That would be a great way to play it, if so.

Ferris on October 18, 2007 at 11:00 AM

Lots of testicle humor.

I’m sure I’ll have a ball.

Mazztek on October 18, 2007 at 11:07 AM

I agree. The terrorists are destroying our ability to imagine good and fun things and because of their brutality we have to imagine all the different ways they can kill us so we can prevent them from doing so.

csdeven on October 18, 2007 at 11:16 AM

Where’s csdeven’s version of Fred Thompson?

AZCON on October 18, 2007 at 11:17 AM

Tony737 on October 18, 2007 at 9:21 AM

Because we Staff Sergeants ARE in Charge!

– SSgt, USMC-R

Mazztek on October 18, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Those terrorists would be wise to leave Charlie Brown alone lest me AND my kids take up arms against them!

CliffHanger on October 18, 2007 at 11:50 AM

Jesus was not in Imaginationland because he died in “Red Sleigh Down.

JayHaw Phrenzie on October 18, 2007 at 11:59 AM

you mean the super best friends and off to the left was seaman the none religious member of the super best friends.

Mojack420 on October 18, 2007 at 12:03 PM

Butters is John Edwards.

csdeven on October 18, 2007 at 10:51 AM

Tweek is Ron Paul

sunny on October 18, 2007 at 12:06 PM

JetBoy on October 18, 2007 at 9:47 AM

Well, it was an exact spoof of the Omaha Beach scene from Saving Private Ryan: slow motion, man without arm, loss of sound, man on fire, etc.

JetBoy on October 18, 2007 at 9:47 AM

Absolutely not. Trey Parker and Matt Stone hate Islamic fundamentalists. They have plenty of episodes where they mock the people who want to stick their head in the sand and ignore them, etc. I’m not sure where they are going with the “taking over our imaginations thing”, but it definitely isn’t trying to diminish terrorism.

SillyRyno on October 18, 2007 at 12:10 PM

Was that Mount Crumpet in the background? You know, the where the Grinch took Christmas to the tip tiop to dump it.

thomashton on October 18, 2007 at 12:12 PM

well just for the pun value, i guess.

“terrorists have taken over.. our imagination.”

“the results of this could be.. unimaginable.”

BAM

triple on October 18, 2007 at 12:16 PM

Jesus was not in Imaginationland because he died in “Red Sleigh Down”.

JayHaw Phrenzie on October 18, 2007 at 11:59 AM

Not a problem. He always rises on the third day. That’s more imagination than “Imagination Land” can withstand.

My collie says:

Only because it’s the real deal.

CyberCipher on October 18, 2007 at 12:24 PM

I’m sure you all know of the theory of South Park Republicans…

also, I’m pretty sure they’ve never considered Jesus to be imaginary, as he has risen from the dead and performed miracles on their show. They certainly have skewered organized religion to know end, which shows the failability of man.

Vincenzo on October 18, 2007 at 12:45 PM

If they do a jihad head cutting on Snarf, I am going to be pissed.

WitchDoctor on October 18, 2007 at 12:54 PM

Mazz, right you are! Ssgt’s are the back bone. I just thought it was funny that the guy was old and should’ve been a General.

“Tweek is Ron Paul” – Sunny

Ha! Absolutely!

Tony737 on October 18, 2007 at 12:56 PM

Mazztek on October 18, 2007 at 11:38 AM

So when did SSGTs get to start wearing 4 stars (look closer)?

After thinking bout it long and hard, this episode could be viewed as critical of such things as the 9/11 Report and think tanks that create terrorist attack scenarios the terrorists wouldn’t even use.

All I can say is I cried when I saw a CareBear get executed… tears of choking to death of laughter. Only thing better was Butter’s response after the severed head was head up.

TheEJS on October 18, 2007 at 1:15 PM

BTW while SP may not know a difference between enlisted/officer (by the 4 Star’d SSgt), it did do some homework on the terrorist flag, most specifically, the AQI flag (at 12:50 mark with Butter’s forced message): http://mypetjawa.mu.nu/archives/diyallah_Islamic_state_iraq.jpg

TheEJS on October 18, 2007 at 1:27 PM

More like: terrorism’s target is our imaginations more than our safety or lives. That’s why it’s called terrorism, and not “politically and religiously motivated mass murder.” Because a terrorist act does not require the loss of human lives. The destruction of an empty building of significance is an effective terrorist attack. All it requires is that it inspires fear. And fear exists in our imaginations.

I’m leaning towards that Matt and Trey are skewering people who massively overreact to the threat of terrorism (the ones that regard it as an existential threat). But who knows… we may have to wait for episode 3 to get Stan’s
“I’ve learned something today” moment.

Mark Jaquith on October 18, 2007 at 1:29 PM

You made a deal, Kyle!!! YOU STAND IN AGREEMENT KYLE!!!

Best show on TV, except when the Cubs choke.

LtE126 on October 18, 2007 at 2:22 PM

I didn’t see any Mohammed pictures!

RIP OFF!

Black Adam on October 18, 2007 at 4:43 PM

2:33 – Optimus Prime is standing in the background.

JohnW on October 18, 2007 at 4:53 PM

Sry, 1:05

JohnW on October 18, 2007 at 4:53 PM

No. The terrorists invade from the real world to attack our imaginations. I’d say this is timely considering the death threats against Lars Vilk. They were chastised by Comedy Central for trying to show Mohammed in Cartoon Wars so this episode is a more conceptual approach to the issue, its already one of my favourite ever.

aengus on October 18, 2007 at 5:43 PM

Wow, this was better than their take on the Danish cartoons fiasco a year ago. I can’t wait for the next episode.

mram on October 18, 2007 at 8:26 PM

South Park is one of the best shows ever made.

Seriously, they somehow manage to mix utter obscenity and make it relevant to the real world. Totally awesome.

BKennedy on October 18, 2007 at 10:47 PM