Video: Dallas reporter bullies 70-year-old man on camera

posted at 8:00 am on October 18, 2007 by Bryan

Via InstaPundit and Riehl World View, you have to see this video to believe it. KDFW-TV reporter Rebecca Aquilar badgers 70-year-old Army veteran James Walton and reduces the man to tears. His crime: Defending his property against thieves who repeatedly broke in and stole from him. After more than 40 calls to police didn’t stop the burglaries at his home and place of business (they’re the same place), he shot and killed two burglars in the span of three weeks. Because they were breaking into his home with impunity. Fortunately, common sense and the laws of Texas back up Mr. Walton’s right to take the actions that he took. Evidently, that’s not good enough for journalist Rebecca Aguilar, so she ambushed him.

[Video removed]

“Are you a trigger happy person?” ought to be tattooed on her arm.

Aguilar has been suspended. Instead of being feted as Hispanic Journalist of the Year, she ought to be held up as one example of what has become all to prevalent in the news business: Arrogant journalists who take the wrong side in nearly every story they “objectively” cover and make it impossible for average folks to live their lives in peace. She’s the kind of journalist who runs up to the family of a plane crash victim, tells them that their loved on has perished, and then shoves a mic in their face and asks “How do you feel?”

Update: If you’d like to contact KDFW-TV, this post has the info. If you contact them or the reporter, be civil. In other words, don’t act like Aguilar did.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Disgusting!

JellyToast on October 18, 2007 at 8:06 AM

My lord. But it’s like that with anyone who is national, really, or in broadcasting. Us local print reporters make fun of broadcast journalists because of how sensational and over the top they try to make their stories.

ScoopPC11 on October 18, 2007 at 8:13 AM

Glad to see that she has been suspended. There is no excuse for treating so poorly an elderly person (or really, any person) who has been through so much already. That being said, many of the commenters on the “suspended” link above had the same questions I do. Who sent her on the assignment? Who helped edit the tape? Who made the decision to air the segment? Sounds like she is taking the fall for all of them. Don’t get me wrong; I’m not defending her in any way. I’m just sayin’ — what about the others who were involved? I sincerely hope that Mr. Walton’s troubles are over.

lan astaslem on October 18, 2007 at 8:15 AM

How long before the Hispanic League, or whatever, starts massive protests for her “unfair” dismissal?

Its Tommy on October 18, 2007 at 8:20 AM

I think some “journalists” take the investigative title to heart. Does she think she has some perp in the interrogation room? Who the hell does she think she is? I’ll call her a bitch, but this is one of the cases where the C word comes to mind.

reaganaut on October 18, 2007 at 8:24 AM

So, does she admit on TV that she does not own a gun, and would never fight off people who break into her house. Rather, she would take her chances in gettting to a phone to call the police and pray that they get there in time to save her and her family. God bless the Castle Doctrine. I’d rather be judged by 12, then carried by 6.

m1a1usmc on October 18, 2007 at 8:28 AM

What she did was nothing less than racist and xenophobic.

/sarcasm off/

darwin on October 18, 2007 at 8:30 AM

Those laws that protect people like the man who defended himself make me proud to be a Texan.

TK on October 18, 2007 at 8:32 AM

I think that reporter should be forced to take a concealed carry class – let her see how seriously gun owners take their responsibilities.

Plus, she’d be forced to touch and fire those guns she seems to hate so much.

Slublog on October 18, 2007 at 8:34 AM

She would be the first person to want that man by her side if her family and property was threatened by criminals.

Wade on October 18, 2007 at 8:41 AM

Why should that gentleman feel any “remorse” for tidying up the gene pool a bit? He deserves a medal and I think Emperor Misha will probably have one struck for him. Kudos to Mr. Walton and shame on the so-called Hispanic Reporter to the Year.

Redhead Infidel on October 18, 2007 at 8:46 AM

Basically, it looked like she was trying to break him down and get a Montel moment or something. No real attempt to get his side of the story. Maybe that’s where she should be working.

IreneFingIrene on October 18, 2007 at 8:49 AM

I say we call all of the advertisers with that station and boycott their products until that bitch is terminated. That just was not right.

lsutiger on October 18, 2007 at 8:55 AM

Property rights are the foundation of freedom and liberty. Individuals have a right and, I submit, a social responsibility to protect their property. In so doing, they strengthen the rights of all. Not only are there two less burglars, there are countless others who will think twice about invading another’s home and property.

Aquilar is a fool. She ambushes a law-abiding citizen and implies that he lays in wait for an opportunity to shoot someone. Sadly, this is what is called “journalism” today.

drewas on October 18, 2007 at 8:56 AM

Love that line.

Ernest on October 18, 2007 at 8:58 AM

What in the hell happened to my country? (Repeatedly bangs head against the wall)

RW Wacko on October 18, 2007 at 8:59 AM

Good for Mr. Walton. Nobody is (or should be) obliged to sit around and watch criminals loot his property– the biggest outrage here is that the cops took away the man’s gun, even after admitting that he broke no laws.

morganfrost on October 18, 2007 at 9:02 AM

If she was standing in that door keeping him from closing the door and leaving, that is false imprisonment and in a free country that woman would be prosecuted. Here in the United States though, where the media has a different set of laws then the common people (and Congress, including the republicans, is about to strengthen the laws making “journalists” an elite class) she is an untouchable.

peacenprosperity on October 18, 2007 at 9:05 AM

TK on October 18, 2007 at 8:32 AM

Ditto that, my friend. Ditto that.

The part I love the best is that he went to Academy to buy another shotgun because the cops confiscated his other two. This man isn’t taking anything sitting down.

pullingmyhairout on October 18, 2007 at 9:16 AM

I live not too far from this fella. Maybe I need to drop off a fresh box of ammo and say howdy.

Limerick on October 18, 2007 at 9:18 AM

RW Wacko on October 18, 2007 at 8:59 AM

The last Texas legislature just made it easier to defend our property. We can use deadly force if someone is on our property at night stealing our stuff. We no longer have to wait for the bad guy to attack us first before striking back.

It’s old-fashioned Texas justice and I’m glad it’s back.

pullingmyhairout on October 18, 2007 at 9:19 AM

I can’t bear to watch the video, but I do plan to send Mr. Walton a letter of support through his business. This gentleman served his country both in the Army, and as a citizen who refused to be a victim. I wish all Americans were willing to stand up to the criminal element of this country and say, “We will not be held hostage by the likes of you or your weeping lefty supporters.”

DrMagnolias on October 18, 2007 at 9:20 AM

Also the new law allows you to shoot the SOB not just when he is coming in the window, but also when he is going out.

Limerick on October 18, 2007 at 9:23 AM

The problem is that we have truly become a nation of victims, where the poor, poor, CRIMINAL is inevitably the victim. Criminals whine about their rights, but in my book, you cross my property line, intent on committing a crime, that’s where your rights end. Watching that video, my wife said, we should send Mr. Walton an encouraging word because of what he has had to endure. Especially after the way he was treated by Rebecca Aguilar. As an aside, I recently saw an illegal immigrant on the news say something to the effect that, yes she broke the law, but she did it for the right reasons. With that mindset, I could rob a bank in order to feed my family and fight the arrest, because I stole for the right reasons. Maybe that’s Ms. Agiuilar’s point as well. Those poor boys were robbing Mr. Walton for the right reasons.

MrFreeman07 on October 18, 2007 at 9:31 AM

This dispicable bully “reporter” “Rebecca Aquilar of KDFW-TV needs to be fired. Who does she think she is to pretend on camera that the old guy is the bad guy ? I wonder what Rebecca Aquilar would do if people were constantly breaking into her house.

Maxx on October 18, 2007 at 9:31 AM

Burglars assume the risk of death when they break in. I am loaded and ready. I just hope I never have to use it.

jediwebdude on October 18, 2007 at 9:32 AM

God Bless Texas and the common sense laws she STILL has.Better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6!

Ex-tex on October 18, 2007 at 9:40 AM

A possible motive for this mugging? Look for something like this every time a criminal is shot. Narrative.

thebriand on October 18, 2007 at 9:48 AM

Stomach-turning.

A classless ninny trying to be provocative. I support her immediate dismissal and will write to the station expressing this sentiment.

Malpaso on October 18, 2007 at 9:52 AM

This guy is a hero for people yearning to be free. Defending your property is the paramount of freedom.

gabriel sutherland on October 18, 2007 at 10:00 AM

Bryan,

I don’t have to view this to know that the law’s on his side, and that she’s a bitch. Period.

Miss_Anthrope on October 18, 2007 at 10:01 AM

Looks like I was wrong about that assumption.

Tim Burton on October 18, 2007 at 10:01 AM

morganfrost on October 18, 2007 at 9:02 AM

Typical.

FireFly on October 18, 2007 at 10:03 AM

Limerick on October 18, 2007 at 9:18 AM

Do, and give him our well-wishes and support from the ‘sphere, will ya?

Miss_Anthrope on October 18, 2007 at 10:03 AM

Redhead Infidel on October 18, 2007 at 8:46 AM

I’ve never killed anyone, but I know several men who have been in battle and killed the enemy.
I don’t think anyone in their right mind “enjoys” it or doesn’t think about it. Can you imagine what poor Mr. Walton had to endure after shooting someone with a shotgun? Have you seen what a shotgun does to flesh?
And he did this twice. I’d be interested to know if Mr. Walton served in battle. He’s certainly from the WW2 generation. I bet he’d say the same thing, or have the same thoughts. Killing someone will haunt you for the rest of your life, regarldless of the circumstances.
Having said that, I live in the Dallas area and remember when Rrrrrrebecca first came on TV. At first, she pronounced her name with 1 R, then it became fashionable for Hispanics to roll their r’s. She really makes me sick. I can’t stand her and have never watched her for more than a few minutes.

SuperManGreenLantern on October 18, 2007 at 10:09 AM

FireFly on October 18, 2007 at 10:03 AM

They are required by law to take in evidence for the Grand Jury that is requisite in shooting cases. He’ll get his guns back after they exonerate him. I hope they pin a medal on his chest.

SuperManGreenLantern on October 18, 2007 at 10:10 AM

The source of her hostility? I think the wall around Mr Watson’s property reminded Aquilar of another wall…

jgapinoy on October 18, 2007 at 10:14 AM

In retrospect, Mr. Walton sould have said no comment and just drove off. She’s not worth talking speaking to, and he shouldn’t have to justify his actions to a reporter with an agenda.

Good for Mr. Walton for protecting his property.

eanax on October 18, 2007 at 10:16 AM

I don’t know it didn’t sound that bad to me. Ambushing the guy in the parking lot is pathetic but she didn’t seem that accusatory to me and at least with how the clip was cut it looked like he broke down in tears before she got to the trigger happy question.

bj1126 on October 18, 2007 at 10:19 AM

Look at the bright side of this report. Without the controversy, it would not have gotten as much airplay. The next thief will maybe think twice before climbing that wall.

Sue on October 18, 2007 at 10:21 AM

Limerick on October 18, 2007 at 9:18 AM

Yes, yes, Limerick…please do. And tell this guy that we stand behind him 100%. Take him another box of shells for me.

Much love and respect to Mr. Walton!

As to that POS reporter…Fire the cow!

tickleddragon on October 18, 2007 at 10:24 AM

pullingmyhairout on October 18, 2007 at 9:19 AM

Similar here in Florida; the law has been relaxed and I will feel much more at ease defending my family and property nowadays. I’m not angry at Texas’ treatment of the man under the law (I LOVE Texas and Texans in general, except the city of Austin) but rather the media and the fact that so many people will side with this reporter, arguing that there is something wrong with the guy for “killing two human beings in three weeks”.

RW Wacko on October 18, 2007 at 10:27 AM

Why didn’t/doesn’t she go to the criminals house and interview the family and ask (badger) them why they raised a criminal. Or possibly badger the probation/parole officer/judge/prosecuter that let these thieves out of jail, ’cause I’ll bet ya this was not their first rodeo. She is a punk and a bully. by the way, wonder if her husband has a gun in their house?

clawjockey on October 18, 2007 at 10:31 AM

This is the most disgusting display of the “drive by media” in action that I have ever witnessed. Even Michael Moore wouldn’t have gone this far. As a Texan, I am outraged that this is what passes as reporting at KDFW. This gentleman should be lauded as a hero, not harassed and demeaned by a troll with a camera and a microphone. I am firing of a letter to KDFW demanding Rebecca Aquilar’s immediate dismissal.

DeathB4Tyranny on October 18, 2007 at 10:37 AM

Oh what pride those disgusting, “C” average, leftist journalists must have.

Sick!

rplat on October 18, 2007 at 10:44 AM

I’m not even gonna watch that, I don’t need to get pissed off this early in the day.

Darth Executor on October 18, 2007 at 10:49 AM

I’m not a big fan of the Ambush By Camera technique even when it’s Bill O’Reilly targeting someone like Mike Nifong. I think it too invasive and ends up making even bad guys appear to be victims. But in this case I’d be all for this woman tasting a bit of her own venom. Someone should stake out her condo and chase her down to ask if she respects only the first amendment while disregarding the second.

mugged on October 18, 2007 at 10:51 AM

I can’t believe she thought this ‘interview’ would fly in Texas.

Keli on October 18, 2007 at 10:55 AM

jediwebdude on October 18, 2007 at 9:32 AM

That’s pretty much my outlook. I don’t wish for that situation, ever. However, I’d rather have the means to defend myself and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Yakko77 on October 18, 2007 at 10:55 AM

I feel sorry for that man, no one wants to be put in the position of killing someone, even scumbags. But the lack of enforcement and police protection forced into doing what the police should have done. Thank God he had a gun to protect himself with.

Now I am with many others in sitting outside the reporters house and ambushing her. A little taste of their own medicine would humble her.

right2bright on October 18, 2007 at 10:57 AM

Tim Burton on October 18, 2007 at 9:59 AM

Actually, the punks were white. Her motives are obviously anti-gun.

Harpoon on October 18, 2007 at 11:00 AM

Limerick on October 18, 2007 at 9:18 AM

Well if you do, tell him everyone here supports him and are saddened that he had to do something he obviously took no pleasure in.

csdeven on October 18, 2007 at 11:02 AM

Bingo. I’m not going to risk being helpless to defend my family when I need to.

RW Wacko on October 18, 2007 at 11:03 AM

“Are you trigger happy?”

“Are you dyin’ to find out???”

Miss_Anthrope on October 18, 2007 at 11:05 AM

Aquilar obviously listened to this song and took it to heart.

And the sign says “Anybody caught trespassing will be shot on sight”
So I jumped the fence and I yelled at the house
Hey what gives you the right To put up a fence And keep me out
Or to keep Mother Nature in
If God was here He’d tell it to your face Man You’re some kind of sinner

Being contrary for the sake of being contrary.

csdeven on October 18, 2007 at 11:06 AM

EEEEWWWW. What harpie. How smug and superior.

ronsfi on October 18, 2007 at 11:13 AM

csdeven, dude, I actually thought of that damned song before I saw your post. Stupid hippies.

Bad Candy on October 18, 2007 at 11:25 AM

“Are you trigger happy?”

“Are you dyin’ to find out???”

Miss_Anthrope on October 18, 2007 at 11:05 AM

Heh!

bernzright777 on October 18, 2007 at 11:35 AM

That gal is probably a transplant from New York City. What the hell does she know?

God bless Texas.

manwithblackhat on October 18, 2007 at 11:47 AM

I guess my earlier comment was removed, apologies to anyone that may have been offended. But this just gets my goat in a big way. And I still encourage all to contact KDFW and complain.

conservnut on October 18, 2007 at 11:47 AM

there are some pretty simple rules to owning and using firearms , so simple even this retarded pos reporter can understand .

1. you don’t pull a gun unless your willing to use it
2. you shoot to kill

this bitch person really needs to lose her job over this.

I hope the good people of Dallas rip this local station a new one over this .

Mojack420 on October 18, 2007 at 11:52 AM

Here is her email address

rebecca.aguilar@foxtv.com

Let her know how you feel

RobG on October 18, 2007 at 11:54 AM

Here is a copy of my comments to her.

Your abuse of a 70-year-old Army veteran in your recent ambush piece is deplorable and is one of the reasons that most people have lost all respect for your profession. My advice to you is to apologize to your viewers and Mr. Walton on air for your poor judgment and tactics, or we (the public) shall demand your discharge.

conservnut on October 18, 2007 at 12:00 PM

Tell me again why we should trust this kind of reporter with a federal shield law?

d1carter on October 18, 2007 at 12:04 PM

As the kids say, what a biotch.

madne0 on October 18, 2007 at 12:10 PM

The above comment reminds me of a reporter, Barrie Dunsmore, who did exactly that, and though it seems like a hundred years ago, I have never forgotten it.

During the fall of Saigon a number of charities were evacuating orphans before the North Vietnamese took over. One such operation was run by a Montrealer named Naomi Bronstein.

Sadly, one planeload of orphans whom Ms. Bronstein had just sent on its way crashed immediately after take-off. All aboard were killed.

At that time, Barrie Dunsmore was reporting for ABC News from Saigon, and he was at the airport when the plane crashed.

I will never forget Dunsmore shoving his microphone into the face of an obviously shocked and distraught Naomi Bronstein asking for her reaction to the crash, as the burning wreckage and bodies lay within eyesight. He pressed her repeatedly for answers. I was quite young, but it has always stayed with me.

It was a horrible example of journalistic lack of ethics and may have been the point at which I began to realize that the media could be as much a problem as a benefit.

Dunsmore had a long and successful career thereafter, but I was never able to look at him the same after that.

Blaise on October 18, 2007 at 12:12 PM

Good Lord. The interview was bad enough, but by the tone of her closing remarks she obviously hopes that a grand jury sticks it to this poor man.

And what is the deal with cops confiscating a gun that they admit was lawfully used in self-defense?

SWLiP on October 18, 2007 at 12:16 PM

This is a microcosm of where America is headed.

If the restorative justice crowd had their way, you would never be able to take action to defend your property.

In California, we have criminals sueing their victims because of injuries THEY sustained during home invasion robberies.

I want my country back.

Hawkins1701 on October 18, 2007 at 12:23 PM

Why no action against the senior editors who reviewed the coverage to allow it to be put into their broadcast to start with.

CommentGuy on October 18, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Few things please me more than a private citizen killing a predator who was trying to deprive him of life, liberty, or property. May it happen one-hundred fold!

Loundry on October 18, 2007 at 12:40 PM

Bryan, Thank you for giving this story the publicity it deserves.

I was soured on reporters years ago when we had 2 immediate family members die in a tragic accident because of a faulty space heater. One victim was a small baby.

The local news crews, Including the same D/FW station Aguilar is from, were there to film it. We asked them not to report it until we were able to tell the elderly great grandparents on both sides of the family, they said, and I quote, “We thought it was a homicide, it wont air” Of course it was the lead story on all three networks that night. (WFAA, KDFW and KXAS.)

The local Newspaper called to confirm the names of the dead and I asked them not to print it yet for the same reason. The reporter told me “If you don’t tell me, I’ll just get it off the police report”. That’s how one set of grandparents found out about it. That reporters name is eternally burned into my memory.

The crap we went through didn’t upset me as much as the time another one of those three stations interviewed a young boy who had lost both his grandparents, who were also his guardians, in an accident. The boy was crying his eyes out and said “They were all I had and now I don’t have nobody” That camera shoved in his face the whole time.

Reporters need to be held responsible when they cross the line. I hope Rebecca Aguilar is made an example of and if she is not, then KDFW needs to be held up in her place.

Hopefully Ms. Aguilar will learn from this, but I doubt it.

GoodBoy on October 18, 2007 at 12:47 PM

1. you don’t pull a gun unless your willing to use it
2. you shoot to kill at the center of mass until the threat is eliminated

Mojack420 on October 18, 2007 at 11:52 AM

That way, if you shoot the predator outside of a state with a good Castle Doctrine Law and a surviving criminal or his family sues you for death/injury, even though the predator was committing a felony at the time, or if an overzealous prosecutor goes after you, when you are questioned and are asked if you intended to kill the perp, you can honestly say, “I continued to shoot until the threat was eliminated.” At least that has been the advice lethal force classes I have attended.

deepdiver on October 18, 2007 at 1:03 PM

Can you guys post contact info where we can respectfully request she never work in journalism again? …or at least with that station.

liquidflorian on October 18, 2007 at 1:04 PM

Found it!

liquidflorian on October 18, 2007 at 1:05 PM

What I would like to see is much, much more media praise for people who defend themselves from violent predators and kill the predator in the process. Those people are heroes, and we (the good guys) should treat them as such — provided that they want the attention.

Naturally this kind of praise will have to happen in the new media.

Loundry on October 18, 2007 at 1:06 PM

“Are you a trigger happy person?” ought to be tattooed on her arm.

No, tattoo this on her forehead: Mujer Estúpida

Kini on October 18, 2007 at 1:06 PM

Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?

psrch on October 18, 2007 at 1:07 PM

GoodBoy on October 18, 2007 at 12:47 PM

I’m the same way, when we had our school shooting, we had reporters sticking their cameras in our faces and asking questions as we were evacuated from the school. Students were even followed home by reporters! Even if you asked them not to take or use photos or video of you, they would, and you’d see them in TV or papers the next day, they were there for days, and this wasn’t even a major one, it was a minor with only one injury.

This reporter is like the same reporters we dealt with…

Bad Candy on October 18, 2007 at 1:12 PM

The old man needs a large sign for his front fence. It should have a line of sneaking burglar silhouettes with large red Xs through two of them. Then the words “WANNA BE NEXT? I just bought a new shotgun–c’mon in!”

aero on October 18, 2007 at 1:16 PM

There are reports that the reporter has been suspended. No doubt the station took the action until things cool off. She probably is still receiving her salary.

peacenprosperity on October 18, 2007 at 1:17 PM

my comment to the pos hack 20$ says it dosnt even get opened on her end

What gives you the right to badger a law abiding American citizen, especially a 70 year old vet, who was defending his property? You are nothing but a bottom feeding POS! I hope your employer cans your sorry ass. I am pretty sure you have the fine skills needed to say “would you like fries with that. ”

“Are you trigger happy.”
Wtf kind of asinine question is that???

And news flash biotch you never shoot to injure, you always shoot to kill. It’s something so simple even a moronic a$$ wipe such as your self should be able to under stand.

Now remember to start practicing for you new job

“Thank you please drive through ”
” Would you like that super sized”
“welcome to jack in the box may I take your order”

Mojack420 on October 18, 2007 at 1:22 PM

Reminds me of that British dude (Martin?) that shotgunned some gypsy rats…he did hard time though.

Ochlan on October 18, 2007 at 1:32 PM

Leftist reporters will side with criminals and against decent people like the sun rises.

They can’t help themselves.

So we have to help them. Make it clear to them that their crap won’t be tolerated, that we don’t approve of their idiotic attitudes and gross rudeness.

Merovign on October 18, 2007 at 1:37 PM

Hmmm. I’m thinking about the “trigger happy” comment now. That would be another good sign to put on a fence–just the two simple words “TRIGGER HAPPY” in large letters. A clear message to would-be thieves that the occupant is armed and ready to defend his or her life and property. Plus, it’s a funny tongue-in-cheek jab at gun critics like this stupid reporter. Heh. If you were a thief, would you choose a property with the “TRIGGER HAPPY” sign on the fence, or move on and choose a less-well-armed property to rob?

aero on October 18, 2007 at 1:44 PM

Neo says:

Deport her. Meh.

She’s arrogant, and has no respect for property rights, but that doesn’t justify racist comments.

Did Walton have to go through a waiting period? I know you can skip the waiting period if you have a concealed weapon’s permit (at least in Florida, you can). If he had to wait, those are three business days (which usually works out to about 4 or 5 days) that he is without a method of self-defense. Any burgler who knew that his weapon had been confiscated by the police could have used that opportunity.

Mark Jaquith on October 18, 2007 at 1:47 PM

thebriand on October 18, 2007 at 9:48 AM

We have had at least 6 people shot by homeowners in Dallas, over the last couple of months. IMO the Texas legislature has gone to far in the changes to the law. It is one thing to defend ones home, another to pursue someone as in this case:

A homeowner near Bachman Lake fatally shot an intruder early Tuesday (Oct. 16) after confronting the unidentified individual in his (the homeowner’s) detached garage.

Dallas police indicate that there will probably be no charges filed against the homeowner, who was alerted to the presence of the suspected burglar by his (unidentified) pet, and then tracked the man on his surveillance system. The residence had reportedly been burglarized several times within the last month.

or shoot blindly through a door as in the death of Carter Albrecht.

was shot to death early Monday morning in East Dallas while pounding on the door of a home near his girlfriend’s after a physical altercation with her, police said.

Thinking that someone was trying to break in, the homeowner — whom police did not name — fired a shot through the door at 4:07 a.m., said Sgt. Gil Cerda, a Dallas police spokesman. The bullet struck Albrecht in the head.

scooter on October 18, 2007 at 2:26 PM

She’s lucky… I would have had a lot less patience than Mr. Walton.

You may write to the station at:

Jonas Parker on October 18, 2007 at 2:26 PM

Anybody wanna bet that if this nitwit managed to get this guy to say something close to incriminating she would have started beating the drums for a Grand Jury investigation?

Rather than being suspended (should be fired) she and her co-workers would be working overtime on numerous follow-ups trying to get him indicted.

91Veteran on October 18, 2007 at 2:33 PM

91Veteran on October 18, 2007 at 2:33 PM

He is facing 2 Grand Juries. Even though the D.A. ruled the killings legal, each case must still go before a Grand Jury.

It is obvious to me that she is trying to influence the prospective members of the Grand Juries that will hear his cases.

Helloyawl on October 18, 2007 at 2:53 PM

Letter sent to Maria.Barrs@foxtv.com, Kathy.Saunders@foxtv.com

I have just seen the video of Rebecca Aguilar verbally assaulting James Walton, and unlawfully imprisoning him in his car. This was not a report, it was a crime – twice over. I cannot grasp how this reporter was awarded anything if she believes treating victims of repeated crimes in this manner is acceptable; which she obviously must believe as she did so on camera with the full knowledge that it would be shown on air.

It is abhorrent to see a crime victim that acted in self-defense treated like this, especially after repeated attempts to have law enforcement actually enforce the laws. The real story this “reporter” should have reported was one of successful citizen self-defense from unlawful actions by criminals that had no respect for property, laws, or the police. If she is incapable of seeing the world this way and only able to do attack jobs she could have gone after the criminals for forcing Mr Walton’s actions, or the failure of law enforcement to find and remove the criminals from the streets.

It is painfully obvious that this “reporter” has a personal bias and wanted to use the lawful self-defense actions of Mr. Walton as an excuse to act on it. Trying to twist things to make the victim the criminal, implying malicious intent to his actions, harassing him to the point of emotional outbursts was repugnant.

There are many reporters that do their best to actually report events, present a factual account of who, what, why, when & how, treat people with respect, and know the difference between right & wrong. With this story/video it was almost painfully obvious that Rebecca Aguilar is not one of those reporters. I honestly doubt that the suspension will provide her any motivation to reflect on her actions or world view and make the needed corrections. Perhaps if Mr. Walton pressed charges and sued her directly it might be a big enough shock allow the blinders to come off. But regrettably it is almost certain Mr. Walton does not even entertain the idea of doing so. Which really shows which of the two has class and is an adult, and which is crass and immature of thought.

Voidseeker on October 18, 2007 at 2:56 PM

She’s lucky… I would have had a lot less patience than Mr. Walton.

Jonas Parker on October 18, 2007 at 2:26 PM

Yeah, I’m not so sure I’d go around cornering and antagonizing a guy who has already shot and killed two people for being in his space–and who’s holding a brand-new shotgun! I guess if he started opening the box, she’d have plenty of time to run away before he could load it. Heh. Wonder if that would be considered self-defense in Texas? ;-)

aero on October 18, 2007 at 2:56 PM

Nope, I don’t intend to be “civil” to this so-called “journalist” and bully. The “lady” should be FIRED, not just suspended. And Mr. Walton should file a multi-million dollar suit for this ASSAULT and DEFAMATION against both the station and their reporter.

He was a lot more polite to her than I would have been. I promise you that.

georgej on October 18, 2007 at 2:21 PM

Actually one of the posters on the Dallas blog that started this said she had committed felony false imprisonment by not letting him leave, and that Mr. Walton should prosecute and sue. I think he should also; with the public outcry over this I think a D.A. could be compelled to prosecute.

liquidflorian on October 18, 2007 at 3:05 PM

scooter on October 18, 2007 at 2:26 PM

Sorry, but I respectfully disagree.

In both cases the person that is dead made the choice to violate someone else’s home. The death of the boy is sad and unfortunate as there was no criminal intent, but the person inside the home had no knowledge of such OR responsibility to try and discover it. The male in question should not have been beating on someone else’s property.

Yes, I happen to believe that personal responsibility is paramount, and respect for others rights/property only slightly less so. They are dead because of their own choices.

Voidseeker on October 18, 2007 at 3:06 PM

“Are you trigger happy”

He should have just gotten in his car when he saw her and drove off.

The media paints anyone that owns a gun, or defends themselves as the criminal, or the trigger happy gun owner that invites intruders.

Makes me want to vomit.

A tip is you are ever involved in a shooting. DO NOT TALK TO THE MEDIA. PERIOD.

americaslaststand on October 18, 2007 at 3:07 PM

I don’t think libs have any idea how their words and tactics boomerang. I’ve been thinking about buying a gun for quite awhile. I wasn’t brought up with guns, and live in NY where usually it’s only the bad guys who have them. But seeing this brave man, and this cowardly woman, self-reliant conservative vs. spineless liberal, made-up my mind, so I went out and bought a shotgun.

Law-abiding Americans have an obligation to protect themselves and to help law enforcement protect the community.

Bravo Mr.Walton. And thank you Ms.Aguilar for arming another American.

JiangxiDad on October 18, 2007 at 3:09 PM

…and live in NY where usually it’s only the bad guys who have them

Because you all keep voting for even badder fascists that strip you of your right to preserve your life.

…so I went out and bought a shotgun

Awesome…what did you opt for?

Ochlan on October 18, 2007 at 3:16 PM

Here’s a woman with a decent job, probably a lot of good stuff at her house, nice car etc. and apparantly one could break in and rob her blind and she wouldn’t do a thing – maybe dial 911 – and she broadcast that on TV. What an idiot.

foxforce91 on October 18, 2007 at 3:21 PM

I think someone should stalk her with a camera, “Why did you make that elderly man cry? Are you a bully? What’s your problem? Do you get off on making the elderly cry? Would you do anything if someone broke into your house? We need to know?”

foxforce91 on October 18, 2007 at 3:27 PM