Video: Dallas reporter bullies 70-year-old man on camera

posted at 8:00 am on October 18, 2007 by Bryan

Via InstaPundit and Riehl World View, you have to see this video to believe it. KDFW-TV reporter Rebecca Aquilar badgers 70-year-old Army veteran James Walton and reduces the man to tears. His crime: Defending his property against thieves who repeatedly broke in and stole from him. After more than 40 calls to police didn’t stop the burglaries at his home and place of business (they’re the same place), he shot and killed two burglars in the span of three weeks. Because they were breaking into his home with impunity. Fortunately, common sense and the laws of Texas back up Mr. Walton’s right to take the actions that he took. Evidently, that’s not good enough for journalist Rebecca Aguilar, so she ambushed him.

[Video removed]

“Are you a trigger happy person?” ought to be tattooed on her arm.

Aguilar has been suspended. Instead of being feted as Hispanic Journalist of the Year, she ought to be held up as one example of what has become all to prevalent in the news business: Arrogant journalists who take the wrong side in nearly every story they “objectively” cover and make it impossible for average folks to live their lives in peace. She’s the kind of journalist who runs up to the family of a plane crash victim, tells them that their loved on has perished, and then shoves a mic in their face and asks “How do you feel?”

Update: If you’d like to contact KDFW-TV, this post has the info. If you contact them or the reporter, be civil. In other words, don’t act like Aguilar did.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Ochlan on October 18, 2007 at 3:16 PM

Haha. Ended up with the same as you. “Persuader”, but came with the regular stock and the pistol grip.

I talked to the guy about ammo. Many people told me to get composite-type shot without lead– others said #7 buck, instead of 00 because less damage to walls and less likelihood of it going into other rooms. But they didn’t have any “frangible” stuff, and the gun shop owner said #7 is worse than 00. Ended up with 00. Now to the firing range. (No open country around here to practice in.)

JiangxiDad on October 18, 2007 at 3:28 PM

Voidseeker on October 18, 2007 at 3:06 PM

I understand your position. The prior law held the position that a person is justified in using deadly force against another: (2) if a reasonable person in the actor’s situation would not have retreated.
I just fear that by eliminating the retreat clause may lead to harm to law enforcement officers beating on doors in the wee hours.

scooter on October 18, 2007 at 3:28 PM

JiangxiDad on October 18, 2007 at 3:28 PM

Groovy. Did yours come with the heat shield over the barrel (a black metal thing with holes in it) ?

If you want to modify it, I got my top-folding stock/pistol grip (you have to replace them both) from ati stocks. Makes the whole package even more compact and practical for use in more confined spaces.

I don’t have neighbors, so I don’t have to worry about over-penetration so much (tee hee). 00 is potent medicine…just be sure that the bad gun soaks it all up ;-)

Ochlan on October 18, 2007 at 3:39 PM

If some is on your property at night you can shoot them. In fact the law states that if they are running down the street carrying you property and they are not on you property you can shoot them if it is nighttime. But you are almost never allowed to shoot at a moving vehcle.

Also anyone that can legally own a pistol can carry it in his car. (TX HB823)

I am almost giddy just thinking that that crack-head perp will never rob another innocent.

TheSitRep on October 18, 2007 at 3:39 PM

bad gun = bad guy

Ochlan on October 18, 2007 at 3:40 PM

But you are almost never allowed to shoot at a moving vehcle

That’s surprising, given the recent cases involving cops perforating vehicles. ‘Weaponizing’ vehicles is justification for deadly force, and arguable in court.

Ochlan on October 18, 2007 at 3:42 PM

Law enforcement officers have no need to “beat on the doors” of citizens acting lawfully – if they knock politely, I’ll open the door, after they verify who they are and what their business is.

I agree that criminals whose doors are being “beaten on” may be likely to shoot… but perhaps they aren’t willing to be taken in even with a polite request.

psrch on October 18, 2007 at 3:45 PM

scooter on October 18, 2007 at 3:28 PM

While I do not wish any ill on law enforcement, having them make sure to respect homeowners property is a good thing. Come with a warrant, announce your presence and then enter.

Government has lost too much respect for private property, and individual rights. In some areas it has started to infect the actions of the law enforcement personal serving it.

Voidseeker on October 18, 2007 at 3:46 PM

Ochlan on October 18, 2007 at 3:39 PM

I don’t know about the heat shield. It’s not in front of me because I hid the gun in the attic until I can find the right place to store it. I have young kids at home.

Also, I spoke to the guy about a top-folding stock, cause you mentioned it in your comment a few weeks ago. But since I didn’t know wtf I was talking about I mistakenly called it a folding barrel and he said he never heard of it. Anyhow, I think I’ll just get used to it the way it comes. Thanks.

JiangxiDad on October 18, 2007 at 3:55 PM

They removed the video.

Aaawww…

Black Adam on October 18, 2007 at 4:16 PM

And I’m sure, somehow, it is all George Bush’s fault…

Lawrence on October 18, 2007 at 4:24 PM

She would have been better served badgering someone like the burgler who paralyzed a homeowner she reported on in July. I guess she is more outraged by people defending themselves from criminals.

from her webpage:

nothing is more rewarding than someone who says I made their lives a little better cause I listened and told “their story”.
So don’t hestitate to call me (214-720-3261) or e-mail me at rebecca.aguilar@foxtv.com if you think you have a story!

Thanks for telling the criminals story, Rebecca!

clghitis on October 18, 2007 at 4:45 PM

Yes, yes, Limerick…please do. And tell this guy that we stand behind him 100%. Take him another box of shells for me.

Can we get an effort to buy this guy shells like Pints for Smeaton?

It might not be legal to have them mailed to him; does his gun store offer gift certificates?

The Monster on October 18, 2007 at 5:01 PM

She has been suspended

TheSitRep on October 18, 2007 at 5:12 PM

He is facing 2 Grand Juries. Even though the D.A. ruled the killings legal, each case must still go before a Grand Jury.

It is obvious to me that she is trying to influence the prospective members of the Grand Juries that will hear his cases.

Helloyawl on October 18, 2007 at 2:53 PM

Thanks.

My point was that if the video would have turned in her favor, the drive-by media would have been lauding her, and at the same time running stories on how this dangerous individual needed to be removed from society.

If she had been less confrontational, it’s likely the public could have gotten a very different view of the issue through the usual selective reporting process.
I could see her meekly asking him some questions, him remaining silent, and the reporting suggesting that he was arrogant and didn’t care about his shooting of some poor, downtrodden pillar of the community just trying to feed his family. I’m sure the previous crimes committed against him, how many times he called the cops, etc., would have been left out, while dredging up any problem he may have had in his past.
Days later when the truth might start coming out, the media would have the morons in the public demanding his prosecution costing him thousands in defense.

Duke Lacrosse Team all over again.

91Veteran on October 18, 2007 at 5:41 PM

Well, I see management removed a post of mine with a reference to a new bumper sticker that some of my gun-emaillist pals are planing to make and sell at future gun shows in the Dallas area.

“Those Shirts” already sells a T-shirt with a similar sentiment.

Not only was this an assault on Mr. Walton, but on all gun owners by a liberal media moron who believes that it is the press’ right to ambush and harrass a WWII veteran because he dared defend himself.

For her, it is much better that a 70 year old veteran to be beaten to death, and be lying on the county morgue’s table, than having to be sitting in his car, reduced to tears, trying to explain how he defended his life while being called “trigger happy” by an insentive moron reporter.

And don’t you think for one moment that the gun owners of Dallas/Fort Worth don’t know it, either. And from the list I’m on, some gun owners are FURIOUS at Ms. Aguilar. Her actions have ignited some very strong feelings among Texan gun owners. As a former Texan, no doubt you already know this.

Sorry Bryan, I was reporting something that is likely to happen (the bumper stickers). If I offended your sensibilities, I apologize. But the lady’s behavior still disgusts me, and I strongly object to her continued employment in any media endevour.

georgej on October 18, 2007 at 5:59 PM

JiangxiDad on October 18, 2007 at 3:28 PM

Ha, me too. I picked up a new persuader “cruiser” (pistol grip) a few months ago – 12ga, 20″ barrel, heat shield, 7+1. I have a regular stock coming and it should be here next week. Haven’t decided on a folding stock yet. Put 40 rds through it with the pistol grip a few weeks ago. I couldn’t have done 41. Mostly #7 shot and about 16 rds of 00 buckshot. HUGE difference between them with the pistol grip. I actually took a darvocet left over from some surgery before bed my right hand was so sore. My thumb joint hurt for a week. Made me appreciate how easily my ~100 year old double barrel 12 ga with wood stock and metal butt plate is too shoot in comparison.

deepdiver on October 18, 2007 at 8:52 PM

Suspended?? I’d like to see the investigative reporter track her down in the parking lot of WalMart, shove a camera in her face and ask her some of the following questions, “Do you enjoy making old men cry?” “Are you apposed to elderly individuals being able to defend themselves from dangerous criminals?” “Has anyone related to you ever committed armed theft and if so,, were you angry with the police for arresting your relative?” “Would you feel you had done a good job of reporting should another criminal target this elderly man for violence after watching your broadcast?”

JellyToast on October 18, 2007 at 11:16 PM

I just found the video again, this time on LiveLeak here.

MsUnderestimated on October 18, 2007 at 11:37 PM

The video is still up on breitbart including some analysis by breitbart. Here is the link

DeathB4Tyranny on October 19, 2007 at 12:02 AM

Thank you MsUnderestimated and DeathB4Tyranny.

GoodBoy on October 19, 2007 at 12:40 AM

Man you should hear Aguilar cover the Irving illegal immigration enforcement story. The first protest she showed these nice calm illegals with their “please don’t kill us, we just want to work” signs. Then she finds the absolute nuttiest pair to represent the enforce the law side, couple of elderly lunatics screaming “wheres all the white people”, then Aguilar shows injuries to a young hispanic girls neck done by the nutty elderly lady. Aguilar closes the segment with the elderly crazie couple being arrested. Instead of finding a halfway articulate individual capable of voicing a reasonable response, Aguilar finds racist psychotics to represent her point of view… that anyone who disagrees with openborder amnesty is a cross burnin, jackboot wearin, anti-brown radical in favor of mexican concentration camps.
Aguilar does not agree with our immigration law or our self-defense gun laws, it is for her greater cause to attemt to induce a cardiac arrest by antagonizing that gentleman veteran who has been through enough. It seems to her that James Walton is the criminal.

christophercube on October 19, 2007 at 1:12 AM

It’s old-fashioned Texas justice and I’m glad it’s back.

pullingmyhairout on October 18, 2007 at 9:19 AM

It took us a while to undo the damage that ann richards did, but it was worth the effort. I noticed that after she was un-elected, she beat feet to California, cum haste.

Texas Nick 77 on October 19, 2007 at 5:13 AM

Being contrary for the sake of being contrary.

csdeven on October 18, 2007 at 11:06 AM

Hey, csd… this isn’t a Fred! thread. :)

Texas Nick 77 on October 19, 2007 at 5:21 AM

Did Walton have to go through a waiting period?

Mark Jaquith on October 18, 2007 at 1:47 PM

Its been a while since I bought a firearm, but I remember there was no waiting period for a shotgun purchase.

Texas Nick 77 on October 19, 2007 at 5:30 AM

Voidseeker on October 18, 2007 at 2:56 PM

Beautifly said. Exactly the way it should have been presented: point out the facts of the ambush, the reporter’s obvious agenda, and suggest the station dismiss her for lack of common sense.

But, as Mark Twain said, “If sense was really common, we’d see more of it.”

Texas Nick 77 on October 19, 2007 at 5:37 AM

… I hid the gun in the attic until I can find the right place to store it. I have young kids at home.

JiangxiDad on October 18, 2007 at 3:55 PM

I suggest doing like my parents did when I was a young boy. They kept the long guns in their closet, and let us know that there were loaded guns there… and they would spank me and the rest of my siblings if we went in there. They also took us out hunting and fishing as a family. No mystery or fantasy about firearms: “they are just machines that are used to put food on the table. They can also be used to defend us. They are NOT toys. You WILL NOT play with them.”

But I suppose those were simpler times. I think nowadays parents like mine would be locked up for child abuse for having guns that are unlocked.

Texas Nick 77 on October 19, 2007 at 5:49 AM

christophercube on October 19, 2007 at 1:12 AM

Sounds like she needs to get back to mexico (or where ever her “roots” are) where only the corrupt cops and military are allowed to have guns. And use them without fear of prosecution. If you don’t like the way things are done in Texas, then kindly get on your donkey and ride into the sunset. And take your liberal baggage with you.

Don’t mess with Texas, or Texans.

Texas Nick 77 on October 19, 2007 at 5:57 AM

Sorry about the sequential posts again… I arrive after everyone else goes to bed.

Texas Nick 77 on October 19, 2007 at 5:58 AM

JiangxiDad on October 18, 2007 at 3:55 PM

The best place to hid it is in a holster on or about your person.

The most important thing, besides having it at the ready is to insure it has a round chambered.

TheSitRep on October 19, 2007 at 8:11 AM

Texas Nick 77 on October 19, 2007 at 5:49 AM

I was raised the same way. Guns werre always there, no big deal.

Gatordoug on October 19, 2007 at 6:45 PM

I was raised the same way. Guns werre always there, no big deal.

Gatordoug on October 19, 2007 at 6:45 PM

I guess we are showing our age.

We drank water from a hose.
No cell phones.
No I-Pods.
Made our own bows and arrows.
Skinny-dipped in a creek.
Had fights that everyone survived.
Went home friends, and looking forward to the next day.

Kids today are missing out on a lot.

Texas Nick 77 on October 20, 2007 at 7:44 AM