Brownback’s out

posted at 11:40 am on October 18, 2007 by Allahpundit

Thus ends one of the more dismal campaigns in recent memory, from his aggressive religious pandering to his infamous reversal during the amnesty vote to yesterday’s last pathetic gasp for attention. He was finished after Huckabee topped him for second place at the Ames straw poll a few months ago; they’re just disconnecting the life support now.

Fred and Mitt are the momentary beneficiaries of an extra 1% of social cons now suddenly up for grabs. Marc Ambinder thinks this is an opportunity for Rudy to make a deal with Brownback for his endorsement to gain a little extra cred with the religious right, but how many hardcore Christian conservatives in Sam’s tent are going to back the pro-choice candidate even on their man’s say so? And especially after rhetoric like this? The best he can likely do for Rudy is say he’ll hold his nose and vote for him if he faces Hillary in the general.

In memoriam of his campaign, I present to you the moment for which he’ll forever be remembered. Fare thee well, Switchback.

Comments

Thought he’d make it to a primary. Thompson boost?

…by 2% that is.

sunny on October 18, 2007 at 10:03 AM

brownback who?

Pilgrim on October 18, 2007 at 10:06 AM

So soon?

roninacreage on October 18, 2007 at 10:07 AM

It will be interesting to see if he endorses another candidate. Not that it is of great value.

dedalus on October 18, 2007 at 10:28 AM

Good riddance. The guy was pathetic. Reparations? Go away already.

MadisonConservative on October 18, 2007 at 10:31 AM

Thank you, Sam. That should help Huckabee takes over 2nd place in Iowa. :-)

EduardoOTI on October 18, 2007 at 10:33 AM

Can we get him to resign from the Senate now too?

bj1126 on October 18, 2007 at 10:37 AM

How can the 5 people who were supporting that clown help anyone?

Now we just need to get rid of “What’s a dollar?”

csdeven on October 18, 2007 at 10:54 AM

He’ll change his mind at the last minute like he did on the amnesty vote.

Or not.

thirteen28 on October 18, 2007 at 10:55 AM

dedalus on October 18, 2007 at 10:28 AM

I’m guessing he’s going to endorse McCain… Then McCain will have to drop out.

Zetterson on October 18, 2007 at 10:59 AM

Good. We need to get the unserious folks out of there. Huge debates just make everyone look like immature attention whores.

DaveS on October 18, 2007 at 11:22 AM

Yeah, the amnesty thing was bizarre. Good riddance.

RW Wacko on October 18, 2007 at 11:43 AM

What, AlGore’s good twin brother has dropped out? He’s better off anyway back in Congress.

This goes to Hunter and Tancredo, they are much more effective in the House than on the campaign trail!

Weebork on October 18, 2007 at 11:43 AM

Huck is the winner here. Good.

Limerick on October 18, 2007 at 11:44 AM

Couldn’t he take Ron Paul with him?

JetBoy on October 18, 2007 at 11:45 AM

How many hardcore Christian conservatives are in Sam’s tent?

That’s a better question because I can’t think of any. Most I know saw right through his slimy pandering and REALLY resented his immigration stance.

bj1126 on October 18, 2007 at 11:47 AM

Speaking of Ron Paul, he just may have enough loony people to support him that he may go ’till the end of the campaign. Ugh.

By the way, election day’s over a year away! 365+ days left of Ron Paul.

Hmmm, Ron Paul the new (and less effective) Ross Perot?

Weebork on October 18, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Now we just need to get rid of “What’s a dollar?”

csdeven on October 18, 2007 at 10:54 AM

Wow, that didn’t take long.

Sigh…………

Oh wait, do I hear BarKennnedy and BKrazy ready to enter the fray.

omnipotent on October 18, 2007 at 11:51 AM

I had forgotten completely that one of Brownback’s biggest contributions to the Republican Party, and the country in general was that spineless “switchback” moment of glory. That sort of conviction would have been perfect to fight the Democrats with as president.

Maybe he is not the good twin of Algore as I had thought.

Weebork on October 18, 2007 at 12:00 PM

Boy, that took long enough. That was like the turd that just wouldn’t flush!

conservnut on October 18, 2007 at 12:02 PM

He was never a true believer in “social conservatism.”

How can you call yourself a “social conservative” and support amnesty, which rewards tens of millions of illegal aliens with the gift of USA citizenship?

That is not “social conservative” at all.

That is anarchy.

It is rewarding people who broke the law with the gift of USA citizenship.

As a social conservative myself, Brownback never had my support.

ColtsFan on October 18, 2007 at 12:02 PM

Tell Brownback to send my shoe registered post – I buried it up his ass.

1 dingus down…several more to go

Ochlan on October 18, 2007 at 12:02 PM

Not to mention this, at the Republican Jewish Coalition forum (yes, I know it’s a joke):

Brownback, who has lagged behind the front-runners in both money and poll numbers, told the audience that he would accept “all major currencies and major credit cards and first-born children.”

And at another point, noting his state’s tiny Jewish population, he told the group: “If any of you would like to move to my state, please come. We’d love to have you.”

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on October 18, 2007 at 12:04 PM

Next debate is what? Flordia? Everyone attending?

Limerick on October 18, 2007 at 12:04 PM

Someday you’re going to make it through a comment without some form of gratuitous profanity, Ochlan. I have high hopes.

Allahpundit on October 18, 2007 at 12:04 PM

The only politician more sleazy than Brownback in Kansas is Kathleen Sebelius, the governor. She is known for being Howard Dean’s lapdog. T

volsense on October 18, 2007 at 12:08 PM

Not sure what Ochlan did, but I’m glad to see Brownback gone. That Switchback thing was a disgrace.

I like Tanc and Hunter, even though they have no chance. Huckabee is ok, but not exactly my cup of tea. But Brownback? Good riddance!

Vanceone on October 18, 2007 at 12:11 PM

Fred and Mitt? Man, I’m beginning to think Huckabee is in the doghouse around here. It’s obvious he’s the guy who will pick up most of these people. Fred is tanking in Iowa and lots of other places, and Huckabee is starting to nip at Mitt’s heals in some polls. I anticipate a Romney win in Iowa with Huckabee a close enough second and Thompson a dismal third. That’ll totally change the dynamic of the race.

Jared White on October 18, 2007 at 12:12 PM

I have high hopes.

And a low threshold

Ochlan on October 18, 2007 at 12:13 PM

And a low threshold

No, a low threshold would be if I complained after one or two comments. After dozens of comments? Reasonable threshold.

Allahpundit on October 18, 2007 at 12:16 PM

Reasonable threshold.

Fair enough. The hammer is yours to wield.

Ochlan on October 18, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Yet another candidate falls to the power of Ron Paul’s candidacy!

lorien1973 on October 18, 2007 at 12:25 PM

Yet another candidate falls to the power of Ron Paul’s supper dooper ooper awesome candidacy!

Let’s try to stay on task here…ok.

ChrisM on October 18, 2007 at 12:33 PM

adios amigo

nailinmyeye on October 18, 2007 at 12:38 PM

Ha. Forgot all about that photo of Kerry in the bunny suit. Reminds me of Dukakis in the tank.

Which brings me to Rudy. Forgeddaboutit. Video of him in a dress, getting his “boobs” nuzzled by Trump…

Don’t get me wrong. I like him, but when we finally take the gloves off on Hillary, we will not want this image. The left controls the media as it is.

Just not gonna happen.

Agrippa2k on October 18, 2007 at 12:39 PM

Allahpundit on October 18, 2007 at 12:16 PM

Considering how tolerant you have been of csdeven comments in the Fred threads I would say that its a commendably high threshold. As Kenny rogers would say, You know when to hold em and you know when to fold em…you da man AP, you definitely be da man…

doriangrey on October 18, 2007 at 12:46 PM

Jared White on October 18, 2007 at 12:12 PM

Cite please? The last poll I saw had it Romney 25%, Fred 19%, Huckabee 18%.

I guess I can’t blame Huckabee for holding out hope- irrational though it might be- that he still has a chance. He’s got no money, and even if he somehow took Iowa it still wouldn’t make much difference. He just doesn’t come across as Presidential material considering the times we live in- too nice, too much a big government nanny, too friendly to illegals.

Too bad really, because he does come across as a likeable, honest guy.

Hollowpoint on October 18, 2007 at 12:52 PM

Yet another candidate falls to the power of Ron Paul’s candidacy!

lorien1973 on October 18, 2007 at 12:25 PM

He dropped out so he wouldn’t have to listen to Ron Paul’s high pitched whiney screeching in yet another debate. Can’t blame him really.

Hollowpoint on October 18, 2007 at 12:56 PM

…you da man AP, you definitely be da man…

He certainly does a fine job around here, agreed :-)

Ochlan on October 18, 2007 at 1:00 PM

Who made that negative add against Brownback? And why was Brownback attacking Giuliani?

From a purely strategic standpoint, neither makes any sense. No one benefits from personal attacks against a bottom-tier candidate, and you only need to go after the number 1 guy if you’re within striking distance of him in the polls.

The sooner this dogpile gets thinned out, the better off the Party will be.

logis on October 18, 2007 at 1:06 PM

see ya, switchback.

PRCalDude on October 18, 2007 at 1:13 PM

The Hot Air team made the attack ad against Switchback right after his vote switch. That’s Bryan talking. As for why Switchback attacked Guiliani, not sure.

Gianni on October 18, 2007 at 1:15 PM

After a few more weaker candidates drop out, social con support will begin to unite behind one guy (hopefully Huck), & Rudy will be history…thank God.

jgapinoy on October 18, 2007 at 1:20 PM

(hopefully Huck)

Sorry…that movie “I [heart] Huckabees” has ruined it for me…every time I see the dude, I hear Naomi Watts spit “Fvckabees!”

Shallow, I know…but at least I’m consistent ;-)

Ochlan on October 18, 2007 at 1:24 PM

Yeah, Fred will probably get his supporters. All 5 of them. They are ideologically similar. Fred flip flops on abortion. Sam flip flops on shamnesty.

The only thing that’ll put a damper on it would be Fred “What’s a dollar?” Thompson’s work for terrorists and on behalf of scumbag dictators. The McCain/Feingold thingy might be a problem too. Brownback just wasn’t interesting enough to find out his position on CFR.

csdeven on October 18, 2007 at 1:59 PM

…and on behalf of scumbag dictators

An impressive step-up from scumbag lobbyists

Ochlan on October 18, 2007 at 2:02 PM

Yet another candidate falls to the power of Ron Paul’s candidacy!
lorien1973 on October 18, 2007 at 12:25 PM

Bwahahahahaha!!!! You KNOW that’s what those loons are saying as we speak!

csdeven on October 18, 2007 at 2:03 PM

I glad that this amnesty loving Christian theocrat is out of the race. My major concern is that a candidate I respected until yesterday is still in the race: Huckabee. The ever informative Ann Coulter pointed out that Huckabee is worse than Bush–if possible–on illegal immigration. I wonder how many of supporters are aware of just fruitcake Huckabee is on this issue?

thuja on October 18, 2007 at 2:04 PM

An impressive step-up from scumbag lobbyists

Ochlan on October 18, 2007 at 2:02 PM

“What’s a dollar?” is still a scumbag lobbyist. The sentence structure just didn’t allow for it that time.

csdeven on October 18, 2007 at 2:07 PM

The sooner this dogpile gets thinned out, the better off the Party will be.

logis on October 18, 2007 at 1:06 PM

It had to do with a specific issue- immigration- rather than just randomly attacking a bottom tier candidate. He supported amnesty (before he was against it) and deserved to be called out on it.

Hollowpoint on October 18, 2007 at 2:18 PM

FINALLY! I just did not like that guy at all.

msipes on October 18, 2007 at 3:36 PM

Good riddance to Brownback.

jaime on October 18, 2007 at 3:45 PM

thuja on October 18, 2007 at 2:04 PM

Yep. Unfortunately, Coulter is right.

I was very disappointed in Huckubee.

Huckabee is no different from Rudy or any Democrat politician regarding illegal immigration.

ColtsFan on October 18, 2007 at 4:13 PM

Turd that wouldn’t flush. Awesome. but what have you saved up for Ron Paul?

TexasDan on October 18, 2007 at 5:33 PM

Turd that wouldn’t flush. Awesome. but what have you saved up for Ron Paul?

TexasDan on October 18, 2007 at 5:33 PM

Poo that the monkeys keep throwing at everyone who walks by?

Hollowpoint on October 18, 2007 at 5:51 PM

FINALLY! I just did not like that guy at all.

msipes on October 18, 2007 at 3:36 PM

Don’t be too hard on him; he did a great service to insomniacs- playing back his debate performances works better than any over the counter sleep meds I’m aware of.

Hollowpoint on October 18, 2007 at 5:53 PM

One out, several more to go…

eanax on October 18, 2007 at 9:14 PM

Another OPEN BORDERS ZEALOT bites the dust?? Awwww, that’s toooooo bad!! Where’s my kleenex??

DfDeportation on October 18, 2007 at 11:01 PM

Was he ever really in the race to begin with? Good riddance to a pathetic tool.

Frank Nitti on October 18, 2007 at 11:44 PM

I’m from Kansas, and our senators are Brownback and Roberts.

Roberts is the Conservative.

We have to call frequently to correct Brownback on a variety of issues: he’s only a reliable conservative on only one issue: abortion. Not sure we could trust him to “protect and defend”.

And why did he want to run for president anyway? He never presented an answer to this important question.

landlines on October 19, 2007 at 1:51 AM

You Huckabee supporters are aware that he is open borders and thinks any enforcement first proponent is a racist right?

full circle on October 19, 2007 at 1:59 AM

The TANC rolls past another loser. I am only really hoping he lasts long enough to make sure the fence is a platform issue but if two or three more of these guys crap out he may become a more viable option. Maybe TANC could be the third party option??? hmmm?

Joey1974 on October 19, 2007 at 8:58 AM