Hot Air Audio: Sara Carter on the case of the TB traveler Update: Congressional investigation?

posted at 4:18 pm on October 18, 2007 by Bryan

Washington Times reporters Audrey Hudson and Sara Carter have uncovered a very disturbing story: A man from Mexico who is infected with a very virulent form of tuberculosis was able to travel back and forth across the US-Mexican border at least 76 times over the past year. International cooperation and our own Department of Homeland Security are supposed to stop this sort of thing. Today, I interviewed Sara Carter about the story, where things stand now and what’s likely to happen next. She breaks a couple of new facts in this interview, that haven’t been published anywhere yet. Click to play.

The Times has also published a short video of Hudson and Carter discussing the case.

Update: Two senators and a representative are demanding that Congress investigate the TB traveler case.

Republican Sens. Susan Collins of Maine — ranking member of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee — and John Cornyn of Texas are demanding an investigation of the agency and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

“This troubling incident appears to be another outrageous failure of a border security system that is struggling to keep pace with modern threats,” Miss Collins said. “It is disturbing that DHS does not have better systems in place for collecting, disseminating, and acting on such information. Following the incident with Mr. Speaker, DHS and the Centers for Disease Control instituted a formal memorandum of understanding to govern information sharing.

“Either that new procedure was not yet in place at the time of this incident or those changes were inadequate. DHS and the CDC must investigate and take corrective action to ensure that the technology, procedures, and training are in place to prevent incidents like these in the future,” Miss Collins said….

Rep. Peter T. King, New York Republican and ranking member of the House Homeland Security Committee, said, “These allegations clearly demand an explanation. [DHS] is responsible for protecting our nation from a number of different threats, and any potential security breach must be addressed immediately.”

Read the rest. As I said in the interview, of all the things that Congress is investigating right now, this strikes me as one thing that they actually ought to be investigating.

Update:
Here’s audio of Sen. John Cornyn discussing the case and asking for an investigation.

Comments

this should discourage upper-class whites from hiring them, shouldn’t it? Who wants resistant TB? I do! I do!

This guy’s a regular Typhoid Mary, isn’t he?

PRCalDude on October 18, 2007 at 4:22 PM

Um. PRCalDude…that’s Typhoid MARIA.

tickleddragon on October 18, 2007 at 4:25 PM

Um. PRCalDude…that’s Typhoid MARIA.

tickleddragon on October 18, 2007 at 4:25 PM

ROTFLOL!

PRCalDude on October 18, 2007 at 4:28 PM

The really scary thing is that this is just the tip of the iceberg. And TB isn’t the only thing we should be concerned about. Hepatitis is a killer, as well. This is another reason why illegal immigration is not a good thing. There is no health check for an illegal alien. All those politicians who want to propose amnesty should address the health risks to the American people that will come with the amnesty.

bloggless on October 18, 2007 at 4:41 PM

“Washington Mutual Gives $615,000 Mortgage To Immigrant Making $9 An Hour Who Can’t Read Or Write English”

pedestrian on October 18, 2007 at 4:41 PM

Everyone should be concerned about this, but I’m expecting the left to be more worried about the immigration aspect of it than they are about the infectious disease aspect.

Which is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Bob's Kid on October 18, 2007 at 4:48 PM

Sara Carter is an excellent journalist. She is unafraid to follow information regardless of where it may take her. Her efforts to peel back the layers of immigration and its surrounding issues have been very eye-opening.

She was at the Daily News and I think the Sun Times or something. Now that shes at the Washington Times, I hope she gets the national attention her reporting deserves.

The Race Card on October 18, 2007 at 4:52 PM

Sara Carter is GREAT!

Now at Wash. Times, she has her well-deserved national audience. She was a real pioneer on the issue of illegal immigration – digging hard for her stories.

I have linked to her columns at

for a long time via my modest effort:

Go Sara!!

fred5678 on October 18, 2007 at 4:54 PM

TB or not TB, that is the question.

Hening on October 18, 2007 at 5:02 PM

TB or not TB, that is the question.

You are SO going to hell for that.

/then why am I laughing so hard?

Bob's Kid on October 18, 2007 at 5:04 PM

They revoked his travel documents. We don’t have any worry that he might cross the border.

abinitioadinfinitum on October 18, 2007 at 5:14 PM

abinitioadinfinitum on October 18, 2007 at 5:14 PM

Now that’s funny!

Bryan on October 18, 2007 at 5:15 PM

Although the methods were archaic, we were much better at this 100 years ago. People coming into the country that seemed sick were quarantined until determined to be safe to release into society.

Perhaps Homeland Security should look into the methods used at Ellis Island. Of course we shot border crossers in those days too.

conservnut on October 18, 2007 at 5:25 PM

Of course. They don’t want their house servants giving them a disease!

PRCalDude on October 18, 2007 at 5:34 PM

One of the ways to contract MDR-TB is to be diagnosed with a regular strain of TB, be put on medication and then stop taking the medication. The remaining TB bacteria grow immune to the regular TB medication and “morph” into a resistant strain of TB.
When I lived in SoCal 10 years ago this was a topic of conversation because illegals would start medication in the states, return to Mexico (or somewhere else) for an extended time without medication, and then come back to the U.S. Voila, MDR-TB.
I got in a rather heated debate with a couple of “anti-innoculation” gals on another site that thought that ANY testing for disease should be up to the parents for children to enter public school. This included, in their minds, a TB tine test…
There is a reason why we have a public health department. Unfortunately, it seems to be lost on a lot of people as we live in such an affluent society… until some kid with TB is sitting next to yours in a classroom.
Just recently I was “crammed” into coach with strangers sitting on all sides… I closed my eyes and tried not to breath too much.

Babs on October 18, 2007 at 5:44 PM

Typhoid? TB? Scurvy?

“I’ll have to get back to you on that, Senator,” said Mike Chertoff.

tgillian on October 18, 2007 at 5:44 PM

Sara Carter, proving once again conservatives are both smarter AND hotter.

BKennedy on October 18, 2007 at 6:12 PM

oh, but let the spin begin. these illegal aliens will now be cast as leaving their countries to come to America for better health care. forget the fact they bring diseases. forget the fact that Mexican TV constantly shows deformities of people in villages almost on a nightly basis. forget the fact that diseased people are illegally picking fruits, vegetables, handling meat, an so on.

somehow, this, too, will be America’s fault.

i see Geraldo on the horizon.

madmonkphotog on October 18, 2007 at 7:50 PM

Wast just earlier today checking into a hotel here in AZ. (many illegals) and was greeted with a sign on my room door informing me an employee who cleaned my room was found to have TB and they wanted me to know. I am know in another hotel

jed58 on October 18, 2007 at 8:01 PM

somehow, this, too, will be America’s fault.

Liberals will blame Republicans, just like they blame Republicans for everything.

Classic example: Randi Rhodes falls down? Republicans did it!

All the evil in the world can be explained to a liberal’s satisfcation by blaming it on Republicans or Zionists. But I repeat myself …

Ali-Bubba on October 18, 2007 at 8:42 PM

How come there are more pictures of randi rhodes around here then Sara Carter?

peacenprosperity on October 19, 2007 at 7:46 AM

How come there are more pictures of randi rhodes around here then Sara Carter?

peacenprosperity on October 19, 2007 at 7:46 AM

Perhaps Beta Males are less intimidated by Beta Females.

BKennedy on October 19, 2007 at 8:05 AM

Sara Carter, proving once again conservatives are both smarter AND hotter.

BKennedy on October 18, 2007 at 6:12 PM

Even though I totally agree with this statement about conservative women, and have made many similar comments in the past, I have a problem with it.

Of course conservative women are hotter: Peggy Noonan v Molly Ivins (RIP); Karen Hanretty v Katrina vanden Heuvel; Dana Perrino v Arian Huffington; Michelle Malkin vs Rachel Maddow; MKH v Medea Benjamin; the entire Clair Boothe Luce board v every female at NPR and so on. This list could go on, but it should stop – right here, right now.

These women are professionals, even the liberals. We do a serious disservice to them and our respective causes to constantly burden them with the added consideration of ‘beauty.’ It’s just not fair. I heard Larry King call Dennis Kucinich “a great little guy” or something and thought it was inappropriate. What if every female commented on how gray a man’s hair was or how fat someone was? It would get old really quick.

Sara Carter is a journalist. I have worked as a journalist, which in many ways makes me an even harsher critic than many of my right-leaning brethren. But my experience as a journalist also heightened and refined my expectations of professional journalists.

Sara Carter demonstrates what it means to be a responsible adult; she does her job well and apparently places a premium on integrity. Those traits are not and should never be exclusive to conservatives, Republicans or any one group. Those are American ideals.

I make no assumptions about her politics, because as a journalist, she should not give me cause to. Rather her research and reporting should arm me with accurate, timely and relevant information.

She does a great job of that. Why spoil it with politics?

I’m sure I will still have the same crude, nude and slippery thoughts that I always do. But I’m thinking it would be overall more respectful of those women with whom I am so impressed to honor them for their work and not what they’re workin with.

The Race Card on October 19, 2007 at 5:09 PM

Forgive me Father, for dangling my preposition.

The Race Card on October 19, 2007 at 5:09 PM

Pilgrims, take heart. The mother and chief coordinator of open borders, the honorable Ms. Pelosi, has taxpayer funded private aircraft singled out for her use. Do they have to go through airport security like the rest of us, or hang around terminals for endless hours? Either way, it’s doubtful she lays awake worrying about TB or any other disease you and I are exposed daily. Those that are elected don’t worry about it, those that elected them and travel have every reason to be concerned.

Many people around the globe remove their shoes when entering their homes. I’ve had a picture in my head for some years of walking through an area where someone has spit or coughed up phlem and tracking it through to my kitchen where an hour later I’m walking barefoot and preparing food. My shoes are removed at the door and carried to a shoerack that gets regular spraying. Now, if I could work up the nerve to require the same of my guests without making them think I’m a nutcase is the challenge.

24K lady on October 19, 2007 at 9:51 PM

Jed58 @8:01 – when checking into any hotel/motel/bedn’breakfast – throw back the sheets and check for previous occupancy. Amazing what you’ll see on initial inspection. Check out the bath too for various hair specimens and other jewels. After dinner and a couple of drinks it’s too late. Travel fatigue and a nice dinner wills out any unpleasant objects in your bed or bath.

24K lady on October 19, 2007 at 9:58 PM

The Race Card on October 19, 2007 at 5:09 PM

I would agree with you, were it not for the fact liberals make a huge deal about the “progress” the sexual revolution has brought them, when in fact those who are the most sexually attractive are people who have rejected their abortion/birth control/sexual experimentation platform.

So I adjust my statement:

Sara Carter: Proof that conservatives are smarter AND hotter AND free of all venerial disease.

BKennedy on October 20, 2007 at 12:23 AM