Wednesday stupid: Greenpeace and Apple go to war

posted at 10:42 am on October 17, 2007 by Bryan

I don’t like Apple even though I like some of their products. I loathe Greenpeace. May they both destroy each other.

Remember that “Greener Apple” Steve Jobs committed to back in May? Apparently, the company has a lot of work ahead of it before meeting Greenpeace standards.

A series of new test results commissioned by the environmental group point to some potentially nasty chemicals hiding inside that sleek exterior. Greenpeace says they found that the phone contained hazardous chemicals like brominated compounds in the phone’s antenna, as well as a mixture of toxic phthalate esters in the plastic (PVC) coating of the headphone cables.

While, technically, phthalate plasticizers are not prohibited in mobile phones, they are banned from use in all toys and childcare articles sold in Europe, according to Dr. David Santillo, Senior Scientist at the Greenpeace Research Laboratories and co-ordinated the project.

Whatever. As Wired notes in another post to follow-up the one above, this whole thing may just be a Greenpeace publicity stunt. Those Rainbow Warriors aren’t going to sink themselves.

So I’ll leave you with this: The Mac vs PC guy getting accosted by a Ron Paul supporter. How can these guys be everywhere, yet their guy only gets a couple of percent in the polls?

Comments

A few beans make more noise than a full can when you rattle it around.

It’s not so much that there’s more of them or that they’re every where. It’s more that you here about them when they are there because of their stupidity.

amerpundit on October 17, 2007 at 10:46 AM

Was that John Mayer spouting off the oh-so-deep argument of “Ron Paul, Ron Paul…Read the Constitution”? That looked staged to me. John Mayer is a tool…I don’t care how good at the guitar he is.

Weight of Glory on October 17, 2007 at 10:49 AM

“Ron Paul and Rue Paul? One in the same?”
Hilarious.

bbz123 on October 17, 2007 at 10:50 AM

Uh, that’s John Mayer doing a “fake tirade”, but I’m guessing Bryan already knew that.

thuja on October 17, 2007 at 10:56 AM

Yeah, that IS John Mayer…

And yeah, they’re everywhere. Of course they all seem to be under 23 years old. HERE is a vid I got from a Paul supporter a couple days ago…showing, purportedly, empty Fred and Rudy fundraisers with Ron Paul supporters. Kinda wacky…

JetBoy on October 17, 2007 at 10:58 AM

phthalate plasticizers

Cripes! Say THAT five times fast.

tree hugging sister on October 17, 2007 at 10:58 AM

Hey! That’s Jeffrey Ross in the orange shirt!

MikeZero on October 17, 2007 at 11:09 AM

Yeah, I knew it was John Mayer. Not so sure that the tirade is fake though. He seems…drunk.

Bryan on October 17, 2007 at 11:23 AM

Did he say, “I’ll Wolverine you!”? If he did, that was awesome.

I hope he did.

I’ll just believe that he did.

nailinmyeye on October 17, 2007 at 11:25 AM

Does any company that actually makes a product meet Greenpeace standards?

taznar on October 17, 2007 at 11:28 AM

Does any company that actually makes a product meet Greenpeace standards?

no, because you can’t make cell phones out of hemp

In another note, Greenpeace was forced to admit that the phones both meet and exceed both Europeon and Apples own internal standards for materials and the like.

Canadian Imperialist Running Dog on October 17, 2007 at 11:40 AM

Does any company that actually makes a product meet Greenpeace standards?

taznar on October 17, 2007 at 11:28 AM

No, they won’t be happy until we’re all living in mud huts and walking everywhere…you know, like early man, and they will still find something to bitch about.

Pulchritudinous Patriot on October 17, 2007 at 11:40 AM

Don’t these young men have jobs, and wives, and children to support? Where do they get the time to do this?

JiangxiDad on October 17, 2007 at 11:55 AM

That looked like VH1′s Best Week Ever on a pub crawl!

pb5000 on October 17, 2007 at 11:55 AM

So here’s a question for everyone. I love Apple–I really do love their products. They focus on making good, stylish products that work. They’ve been very successful at it. I can’t stand Windows, I never have. Dell, HP, the rest–they all just seem to suck. Apple has a “screw you” attitude sometimes. They attempt to make the best, they take risks, sometimes they fail but sometimes they succeed, especially under Steve Jobs.

But I hate Apple’s leftism. I hate their cultural take, and I REALLY hate Gore being on their board of directors. Why is it no conservative computer company has the flair and desire and dedication that Apple does? Microsoft just can’t make good things, it seems (aside from the x-box, I guess–and Microsoft loses money on that). What conservative company has the people who are dedicated to them like Apple fans are? Is there any?

And why not? I really wish I could have my Apple and my conservative values as well sometimes.

Vanceone on October 17, 2007 at 12:01 PM

All together now:

Ron Paul knows the Constitution. Ron Paul also knows the Twin Towers (which are on foreign soil) were attacked by 19 thugs.

Ron Paul gets my vote.

/maximum sarc

On-my-soap-box on October 17, 2007 at 12:01 PM

Well John Mayer is a satirist as much as he is a musician.

Ortzinator on October 17, 2007 at 12:12 PM

Sissy fight.

PRCalDude on October 17, 2007 at 12:23 PM

Vanceone on October 17, 2007 at 12:01 PM

I have the same psychosis. :)

Bob's Kid on October 17, 2007 at 1:01 PM

My name’s John, and I love products made by a liberal company…

taznar on October 17, 2007 at 1:05 PM

phthalate plasticizers
Cripes! Say THAT five times fast.

tree hugging sister on October 17, 2007 at 10:58 AM

Every time I fall for the ads promising ‘near instant results’ and buy a plasticizer, it ends up sitting in the corner of my room with laundry hanging from it. I’ve found that a better way to get plasticized is to just brominide your compounds to a tape of esters getting phthalated.

James on October 17, 2007 at 1:28 PM

James, I believe you just invented a polyester suit that’s too stiff to wear (way too much plasticizer).

taznar on October 17, 2007 at 2:01 PM

On I-24 East ( heading south) out of Nashville there is a Ron Paul sign over the freeway hanging off a rail bridge.

Good lord they ARE everywhere. YouTube is filled with Ron Paul videos by apparently different people. I promptly rate them one star and hit the Inappropriate link via my Apple TV (Love it!!!!!111eleven).

Neo on October 17, 2007 at 2:09 PM

Vanceone on October 17, 2007 at 12:01 PM

How I look at it is like this:

I take products made by a left-leaning company, and use them for right-leaning purposes! It is kind of like the Israelites plundering the Egyptians.

nailinmyeye on October 17, 2007 at 2:47 PM

The truther is lucky that John McClane didn’t pop out.

- The Cat

P.S. Die Hard IV Su-hucked

MirCat on October 17, 2007 at 3:19 PM

How I look at it is like this:

nailinmyeye on October 17, 2007 at 2:47 PM

Love that! Hope Bob’s Kid sees this too.

RushBaby on October 17, 2007 at 3:24 PM

I am missing so much context when I view this video. Why is the musician going after the actor?

That said, and I know this won’t go down easily with everyone here, I would much rather have young people attracted to the libertarian leanings of Ron Paul than the de facto liberalism of “compassionate conservatism.” At least by supporting Ron Paul, they are perhaps actually reading the Constitution, and recognizing the vast majority of what the federal government does is blatantly unconstitutional. Although libertarians tend to be something of a contentious lot who are seriously intellectually lacking on securing the borders and, to some degree on national defense, at least they treat the Constitution as more than an annoying technicality, as the President and the vast majority of our so-called representatives on both sides of the aisle do.

DrMagnolias on October 17, 2007 at 5:00 PM

It’s teh funny.

“Ron Paul, not Ru Paul.”
“Read the constitution…. there’s a lot of healing in there.” That’s classic.

“I’m like wolverine healing.”

Takeaway catchphrase:
“Ron Paul knows the constitution!!!!”

Titus Flavius on October 17, 2007 at 5:22 PM

Greenpeace? Exaggerating? Surely you jest. Greenpeace would never lie!

The fight, to prevent the Pacific Northwest’s old-growth forests from being harvested, became national news in the late 1980s. The spotted owl became the surrogate and the symbol justifying any and all means necessary to protect the biocentrists’ beloved stands of Douglas fir and redwood trees. Consequently, the timber industry and its employees were subjected to violence, harassment, interference, and intimidation at the hands of greenies – including arson, vandalizing and destroying expensive logging and road building equipment, shooting logging helicopters, spiking trees, tree sitters, human chains blocking logging roads, humans chained to trees, and endless lawsuits blocking timber sales. Such tactics revealed how deeply the biocentrists hate the timber industry – which they deem as “evil.”

Officials say they’ll shoot barred owls for threatening northern spotted owls
By Dylan Darling (Contact)
Friday, April 27, 2007
Barred owl

Barred owl
Northern spotted owl

Northern spotted owl

STORY TOOLS

* E-mail story
* Comments
* iPod friendly
* Printer friendly
* News alerts