Good news: Maine set to offer prescription birth control to middle schoolers

posted at 8:45 am on October 17, 2007 by Allahpundit

Yeah, prescription. Condoms are already available. To 11-year-olds.

Look at it this way: You’d better cover the basics early if you want your 13-year-old to be able to follow along during those tricky Planned Parenthood “golden showers” seminars.

Learning curves, people, learning curves.

The Portland School Committee is poised to take up a proposal that would enable students at King Middle School to obtain birth control prescriptions from the school’s health center.

Under the plan scheduled for consideration Wednesday night, King would become the first middle school in Maine to make a full range of contraception available to students in grades 6 through 8, according to the state Department of Health and Human Services.

King’s health center, which opened in 2000, already provides condoms as part of its reproductive health program. Prescription birth control, such as pills or patches, would be prescribed after a physical examination by a physician or nurse practitioner, said Lisa Belanger, who oversees Portland’s student health centers.

The centers require that students have written parental permission before being treated. Under state law, students are allowed to seek confidential health care and decide whether to inform their parents about the services they receive, Belanger said.

Sexual precociousness being a core indicator of “progress,” I’m cautiously optimistic that we’re on our way towards European standards of enlightenment. Exit question: What does the last paragraph in the blockquote mean? Are they saying that the centers are running afoul of state law by requiring parental permission? Or have the fascist wingnuts in Maine decided that a kid who’s still fully seven years away from majority actually does need the permission of his or her guardian before filling a birth control prescription?

Thanks to Slublog for the tip.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Look what this South Carolina website says about engaging in sex before the age of 16. Scroll down left hand column to “What South Carolina law says about Teen sex”.

Buy Danish on October 17, 2007 at 5:01 PM

Buy Danish on October 17, 2007 at 5:01 PM

“Any “mandated reporter” who is aware of criminal sexual conduct is obligated to report the information to law enforcement officials. Failure to report is an offense punishable by law.”

So I suppose this school should be sued?

Esthier on October 17, 2007 at 5:11 PM

Esthier on October 17, 2007 at 5:11 PM

I don’t know what the law is in Maine, other than 16 being the age of consent, but it would seem that the school is abetting illegal activity. Then again one could say the same thing about a doctor dispensing a prescription for birth control to an under age child, although he could always claim it was to cure acne.

It will be interesting to see how the school board votes on this.

Buy Danish on October 17, 2007 at 5:23 PM

So I think I’m going to go back to middle school, where it’ll be easier to get my BC pills. I have to jump through frakking hoops to get mine, and I’m on them to control a medical problem. I’m 24 and I still have trouble remembering to take them… someone half my age is supposed to be more responsible? Oh, and if these girls have already started (I did that young), they’re still not allowed their Midol or Advil, are they?

Egads.

the goddess anna on October 17, 2007 at 5:58 PM

Flintstones Chewable Progesterone, anyone?

Dork B. on October 17, 2007 at 7:29 PM

It’s time to close the public schools and get the government as far from our children and education as we can.

Maxx on October 17, 2007 at 8:27 PM

I remember years ago a discussion about why there was a 2-3% failure in birth control pills in adult women…they described behavior that was typical of immature women (forgetfulness, etc). One of the guests pointed out that was one of the reasons not to give pills to young girls…they are immature because young girls are still, well, immature!

deedledee on October 18, 2007 at 6:29 AM

This can’t be healthy for these little girls. Their bodies are not fully grown/mature and it is, once again, a plan to undermine the morals, standards, values and principles taught by parents. What the h*ll are these so-called “educators” doing to our children? Parents ought to consider pulling their children out of the homosexual heavily influenced government schools. I’m sure GLSEN approves of this.

Pumping hormones into the bodies of female adolescents should be criminalized. Those children who are forced to take these potent drugs may face cancer and other disorders in the near future.

sinsing on October 18, 2007 at 7:59 AM

The school board has spoken and this has been approved, with a vote of 10-2.

I can’t wait for the first law suit to be filed.

Buy Danish on October 18, 2007 at 8:33 AM

Can you say “homeschool”…that is exactly what I would do if my girls were in that public school. How dare these administrators think they can parent our children. What an outrage.

Speaking of parents, where are they on this issue?

Shelly on October 18, 2007 at 8:35 AM

Unbelievable. I guess I’m out of touch. Do 11 year olds still play Barry White records to set the mood like back in our day?

Canadian Infidel on October 18, 2007 at 9:03 AM

Maybe the grownup has died, but I’m not seeing anyone let children be children either.

Esthier on October 17, 2007 at 9:27 AM

Yep, children are forced to grow up in everyway. It’s gross. Homeschooling is starting to look better and better.

4shoes on October 18, 2007 at 11:00 AM

Is this to protect children who have sex with Maine teachers?

saved on October 18, 2007 at 11:18 AM

Flintstones Chewable Progesterone, anyone?

Dork B. on October 17, 2007 at 7:29 PM

Damn, stole my thunder.

I heard that it will be in patch form, so there will be
opportunity to put cartoon characters on them.

Maybe the characters from South Park would be appropriate.

If any school here in Arizona tried that stunt, my kids
would be switched to home-schooling FAST.

Timothy S. Carlson on October 18, 2007 at 12:15 PM

Ok now let me get this straight. The school is full of people who are mandatory reporters for anything that they even “suspect” might be abuse, but, if an 11-yr-old girl comes in and wants birth control they have to look the other way. HOW is that possible. We all know darn well that there is a minuscule chance she was sleeping with some 11-yr-old boy for crying out loud. It’s very much more likely, she’s the victim of someone who is probably much, much older. And they are just going to ignore the fact that these girls are being exploited and used and abused? One of the biggest indicators of sexual exploitation is sexual acting out at an inappropriately young age. Oh those poor, poor girls.

Lily on October 18, 2007 at 10:39 PM