“10 Questions” launches today

posted at 9:51 am on October 17, 2007 by Bryan

Today marks the start of a unique and experimental opportunity to directly ask the presidential candidates the questions that you want to ask them. It’s called 10 Questions, it’s a little bit like the YouTube debate, but better since CNN won’t be an intermediary, and here’s how it will work.

It’ll be divvied up in two rounds spanning two months, with the first round starting today. In Round 1, anyone with a video camera and the ability to upload to YouTube, MySpace Yahoo Video, or Blip.tv can submit a video question. To enter, upload your video question to one of these sites and tag it “10questions.” Be sure to give it a descriptive title so others can find it. And if you want, add additional tags that describe it further. The questions should be addressed to the candidates as a group, as opposed to any single candidate.

At the end of the first round, the questions will be collected from those sites and put on the 10 Questions site, where anyone can vote on which ones should be answered by the presidential candidates. In Round 2, the candidates tape their answers and upload them for judging. Round 2 begins on November 17, so you have until then to come up with a question, shoot it and submit it. 10 Questions ends on December 31.

I’ll post periodic reminders about 10 Questions here on Hot Air, to keep you updated and hopefully convince some of you to submit questions and then vote on the ones that have been submitted.

A slew of large blogs on both sides of the aisle are sponsoring 10 Questions, and I’m pleased to say that Hot Air is one of them. I want to see some questions from you guys. So go check out the 10 Questions site, think up a question and submit it. You can submit as many questions as you want, so have fun with it.

Comments

There are a few videos up already. The iRaq one is freaking stupid, so I say vote it down.

This is pretty cool.

nailinmyeye on October 17, 2007 at 10:03 AM

I should have said that Allah will be deeply offended by the unholy use to which the iPhone is put in that video.

We need a Chocolate Rain parody in there. Anyone got any ideas?

nailinmyeye on October 17, 2007 at 10:05 AM

I’m glad that Hot Air was chosen, but I have to say, I can’t properly express how low my hopes are for this.

I’m still not comfortable with the apparent fact that there’s not one honest-to-God conservative in the entire country to run for President, and now I have to accept that there’s not one moderator who can handle the job properly.

My vote goes to whoever sees Mr. YouTube Snowman come onscreen, says, “This is #$!&&ing pathetic” and then walks off stage.

saint kansas on October 17, 2007 at 10:06 AM

I will participate. I just need to come up with a good question. It seems politicians get asked the same questions.

terryannonline on October 17, 2007 at 10:22 AM

Hmm, don’t know if I could make a video without having the kids jumping up and down in the background, but I’d ask for some concrete ways they plan on making gov’t smaller.

Probably get either platitudes or really big promises not likely to be implemented.

MamaAJ on October 17, 2007 at 10:28 AM

saint kansas on October 17, 2007 at 10:06 AM

I’m leaning this way as well. Until this new video interactivity matures significantly, all I can see is more snowmen, Obama girls, or worse yet, some child asking “boxers or briefs” and actually wanting a serious answer. I understand HotAir wanting to be on the cutting edge with this, but the few serious vids will be drowned out by the idiots for a good while yet. I hope more than one of the candidates acts like a grown-up and flat refuses to reply to some of the questions.

El Cazador on October 17, 2007 at 10:29 AM

… I can’t properly express how low my hopes are for this.

saint kansas on October 17, 2007 at 10:06 AM

Bing!

A YouTubeTop (leftist/juvenile) event, sponsored by the New York Times (leftist/senile) and PMSNBC (off the charts leftist/juvenile) — they won’t be setting the bar low; they’ll just leave it laying there on the ground.

What a waste of time.

Jaibones on October 17, 2007 at 10:50 AM

I just voted all those videos down. The questions were VERY stupid. While I think that a forum such as this has merit, it tends to degrade the political process.

pullingmyhairout on October 17, 2007 at 10:54 AM

I left one vid open, the rest are all thumbs down: old subjects and poorly phrased. I hope more important questions are posted.

allrsn on October 17, 2007 at 11:06 AM

I want to ask all the “personally pro-life” candidates if they’d allow jews to be killed if the majority stopped considering them persons but I’m too lazy to make a video.

Darth Executor on October 17, 2007 at 11:19 AM

Hey guys,

I really want to participate in this but I’m having a hard time asking a good question. If you have any suggestions you can email me.

terryannonline on October 17, 2007 at 11:28 AM

pullingmyhairout on October 17, 2007 at 10:54 AM

Bing, again. You guys are sharp as a tack today!

Jaibones on October 17, 2007 at 11:29 AM

Darth Executor on October 17, 2007 at 11:19 AM

Uh…terryann? I think we have serendipity here…

Jaibones on October 17, 2007 at 11:31 AM

In addition to the kiss of death that comes with the NYTimes, MSNBC, and MelissaJenna combo, we have some Eurotrash bimbo with the requisite accent to give the project gravitas.

Jaibones on October 17, 2007 at 11:33 AM

Jaibones on October 17, 2007 at 11:31 AM

Yeah, no offense to Darth Executor, but the question has murder, abortion, and a religious minority in it so it might be little controversial:) Maybe Sarah Silverman can make a funny joke out of it though.

terryannonline on October 17, 2007 at 11:38 AM

What type of toothpaste do they use?

ThackerAgency on October 17, 2007 at 11:44 AM

I voted down on all 4.

csdeven on October 17, 2007 at 12:02 PM

All pretty lame questions because they just allow the candidates to give the carefully scripted answers they’ve focus grouped to death. Where are the questions that would throw the candidates off balance?

For example, Mr/Ms. candidate, how would faith fit into your administration…….

highhopes on October 17, 2007 at 12:03 PM

ThackerAgency on October 17, 2007 at 11:44 AM

I think that question was for randi rhodes.

Mojack420 on October 17, 2007 at 12:03 PM

Will you build and maintain a fence on the Southern border??

gmoonster on October 17, 2007 at 12:07 PM

Jaibones on October 17, 2007 at 11:31 AM

terryannonline on October 17, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Who are you kidding? Silverman can’t make a funny joke to save her life. (Sorry, just find her really irritating and sooo not funny.)

Miss_Anthrope on October 17, 2007 at 12:27 PM

Here’s one for Rudy and/or Fred if someone more ambitious than I wants to ask it:

“The federal assault weapon ban expired in 2004; President Bush said he would renew it if it reached his desk, and Governor Romney also supports such a ban. Would you support renewing it or a similar ban?”

Hollowpoint on October 17, 2007 at 12:28 PM

Will you build and maintain a fence on the Southern border??

gmoonster on October 17, 2007 at 12:07 PM

Why, when the fence has been determined by studies and contractors to be the most effective and least expensive border protection method, don’t you build a fence on our Southern border??!?!?!????

Miss_Anthrope on October 17, 2007 at 12:29 PM

Ok here is my question I will post it in a few days and try to get credit for it from my media production class.

As a former skilled trades man in Californian, and seeing first hand the impact of illegal immigration have had in the building trades. They under cut and drive down American workers wages. With the constant invasion of armed forces coming across our southern border, and the numerous murders, rapes and molestations of our citizens and children by these invading illegals. Will any of you actually say “no more” and place our military on our souithern boarder to defend our nation from this attack on our people, our wages, our way of life, our health system, our ejection system and the American dream.
Which I have been losing sight of ever since 1986, and the shamnesty debacle that was forced on us all. And to you few that have a track record of wanting more shamnesty. Like you Mr. McCain and to those who ran a sanctuary city Mr. Giuliani why should I believe anything you say on this subject, and to Mr. Switchback I mean Brownback, were you only against the senate shamnesty bill because you saw it was going to lose?

And to Mr. Tancredo and Mr. Hunter how can Americans like my self volunteer to help build the fence. Because it looks like that’s the only way it’s ever going to get done.

Mojack420 on October 17, 2007 at 12:33 PM

“What about you do you believe makes you worthy to even breathe the same air that Ronald Regan breathed?”

saint kansas on October 17, 2007 at 12:38 PM

saint kansas on October 17, 2007 at 12:38 PM

Love it!

terryannonline on October 17, 2007 at 12:41 PM

If Term Limits are good enough for the Executive Branch (the President), then why isn’t it good enough for both houses of Congress?

eanax on October 17, 2007 at 1:00 PM

When will the 17th Amendment be repealed?

eanax on October 17, 2007 at 1:02 PM

Would you use your Vice President as a key member of your team the way President Bush has used VP Cheney or would your VEEP be as worthless as teats on a bull ala the Clinton/Gore model.

highhopes on October 17, 2007 at 1:16 PM

Mojack,

Just a suggestion….. You need to actually ask a question and it should be clear without a whole lot of set up.

highhopes on October 17, 2007 at 1:18 PM

During your Presidency if scientists told you privately that an Asteroid the size of Texas was on a collision course with the earth in 10 years would you inform the American people?

Drtuddle on October 17, 2007 at 1:24 PM

Drtuddle on October 17, 2007 at 1:24 PM

What a softball question! Nobel Laureate Al Gore has stated that we only have 8 years left before the planet is destroyed so it doesn’t matter what happens by then!

highhopes on October 17, 2007 at 1:41 PM

Where do you see the United States in five years?

Do you support eliminating the income tax and replacing it with a flat tax?

Do you support private Social Security Accounts?

Kini on October 17, 2007 at 1:42 PM

During your Presidency if scientists told you privately that an Asteroid the size of Texas was on a collision course with the earth in 5 years would you inform the American people immediately?

Drtuddle on October 17, 2007 at 1:49 PM

Drtuddle on October 17, 2007 at 1:49 PM

Better! ;-)

It’s a very good question to guage the candidate’s character. Would they be secretive and let the public remain unaware until the crisis was at hand or would they be up front with the facts.

highhopes on October 17, 2007 at 2:07 PM

Idiocy resulting from mob rule was anticipated by the founders and is precisely why the U.S. is a “Democratic Republic” instead of simply a “Democracy”.

I anticipate that nothing but childish silliness will result from this YouTube thing. We need serious questions by certified adults.

landlines on October 17, 2007 at 2:16 PM

Heh, landlines

“Please explain the difference between a democratic republic and a democracy. Which system do you believe is the better one and why? Which system does America have?”

Entelechy on October 17, 2007 at 2:51 PM

You didn’t think that 36-year-old who asked the “transparency question” was an adult? She seemed very nice but there were posters tacked up on the bedroom wall behind her. How many 36-year-olds still have that?

highhopes on October 17, 2007 at 4:00 PM

landlines on October 17, 2007 at 2:16 PM

Actually, the United States is a Constitutional Republic. You will not find the term “democracy” anywhere inside the U.S. Constitution…

eanax on October 17, 2007 at 7:32 PM

It’s my trap question. They have to answer that they would tell the truth right away but in reality you know it might not be a good responsible idea. They would have to consider the chaos they could cause. Suicides, crazy lawlessness…. You know good ol end times stuff! :)

Drtuddle on October 17, 2007 at 7:40 PM

MamaAJ on October 17, 2007 at 10:28 AM

Sure you could. Remind them that the stability of America is directly related to the stability of the traditional American family and ask what they would do to shore it up.

Connie on October 17, 2007 at 8:50 PM

Drtuddle on October 17, 2007 at 1:24 PM

highhopes on October 17, 2007 at 1:41 PM

Why change the timeframe to 5 years? Leave it at ten and any answer other than that there is no Asteroid of that size within the galaxy that could reach the earth by 2017 (the end of their second Presidential term)would indicate they do not agree with Al Gore’s forcast of doom.

News2Use on October 17, 2007 at 10:00 PM