Cadaverous shock jock to make triumphant return to air

posted at 11:29 am on October 15, 2007 by Allahpundit

One of the hardest things about blogging is gauging the shelf life on stories. We were going at a pretty good clip there with the Norman Hsu crap for awhile, but judging by the number of comments on the last few posts, we stayed with it at least a week longer than we should have. The Ayaan Hirsi Ali security storyline also looks to be on its last legs. Any interest in Drudge’s scoop on the big Imus comeback this morning or should I start shoveling dirt on this sucker, too? There’s a Hillary angle in it for you…

In a dramatic and dazzling career rebound, controversial radio host Don Imus has secured a deal returning him to the airwaves on December 3 — this time on the nation’s most listened to talk station, the DRUDGE REPORT has learned!…

The stunning comeback is a defeat for those who protested and picketed Imus earlier this year.

Imus is said to be particularly incensed by Senator Hillary Clinton’s “shameless exploitation” of the Rutgers situation.

The senator, who Imus has called “satan” and the “devil”, traveled to Rutgers in April to praise the women’s basketball team for its response to the controversy. In a campaign email, Hillary called Imus’s comments “small-minded bigotry and coarse sexism.”

“Hillary, prepare to meet your maker!” a source close to the host joked early Monday.

Shameless exploitation indeed. The most intriguing thing is that he’s landing at WABC, ground zero for conservative talk radio in New York. Check out the weekday programming schedule from noon to midnight. Despite what liberals may want to believe about the man responsible for the “nappy-headed ho’s” crack, he’s always leaned further left than right. Has he tacked back the other way now as a reaction to the demagoguery after the Rutgers fiasco? Or is it going to be the same old crap? Let me phrase that another way: Did anyone here used to listen to him, and will you listen to him now that he’s on WABC?

Update: Brian Maloney wonders why WABC would replace a more successful program with a less successful one.

Comments

Me, I’m much more interested in Hsu.

see-dubya on October 15, 2007 at 11:31 AM

I never listened to him. Why start now?!

Ordinary1 on October 15, 2007 at 11:35 AM

Me, I’m much more interested in Hsu.

Well, there’s one reader who is. Do I hear two? Anyone? Bueller?

Allahpundit on October 15, 2007 at 11:37 AM

Glad to see he is back. Another radio show that believes in ‘the Baby Jesus’

Wade on October 15, 2007 at 11:39 AM

No, and no.

revolutionismyname on October 15, 2007 at 11:40 AM

Somebody’s got to keep the Hsu stories coming, the MSM is going to do their best to avoid them.

With Imus, XM radio just scrapped their ABC radio channel, so I won’t be able to get him, but this does seem like the old saying about a conservative being a liberal who’s been mugged. Imus just got mugged by the forces of political correctness and now maybe he sees the world a little differently. Note: This is in no way intended to be an endorsement of his Rutgers comments

Dudley Smith on October 15, 2007 at 11:43 AM

I must be way Right, since the guest list on this old timer’s show read like a who’s who of the Left. Reporters from the NYT, Time, Newsweek and a female author that goes on about how great LBJ was. Cheap shots at the war, the President the VP and how Republicans are “awful, just awful”. This is the Jay Severence (sp) approach of blustering like a Conservative while playing host to a bunch of panty wearing news people.

Does this mean that moron Bo Diedle is back on the air waves with his tomato sauce?

Hening on October 15, 2007 at 11:45 AM

I’m in for Hsu ,too,AP. I seem to remember reading something that it will get much bigger very soon.
I would give Imus a listen or two just to hear him blast Shillery.

bbz123 on October 15, 2007 at 11:45 AM

Who? What? Why?

Ochlan on October 15, 2007 at 11:47 AM

Allahpundit on October 15, 2007 at 11:37 AM

Count me in on Hsu, too.

amerpundit on October 15, 2007 at 11:47 AM

What time slot is he going to take? Who is he going to bump?

Babs on October 15, 2007 at 11:50 AM

I used to listen. I felt he was an equal opportunity insult thrower. He hammers on everyone in powerful positions. Wish he’d been around when the Larry Craig stuff was breaking. And I’m sure he would have given the Hsu some airtime, as well.

Melba Toast on October 15, 2007 at 11:53 AM

Count me on Hsu as well.

FireFly on October 15, 2007 at 11:53 AM

I can’t get enough news about Ayaan Hirsi Ali. Her fate is bound up with our survival as Western civilization.

& I happily admit that I don’t click on the Hsu links. The paranoid right-wing fantasies about Hilary, like that she killed Vince Foster, have made me unwilling to listen to any new accusations about the Clintons. It’s not that they may not be true. It’s just that I’m just too tired of hearing cries of wolf, when there’s no damned wolf.

thuja on October 15, 2007 at 11:54 AM

yes and yes…i had just started listening to imus about a year b4 he got canned, and i loved the show. ill continue listening for sure

ernesto on October 15, 2007 at 11:55 AM

Thuja – I too am tired of the “Hilary killed Vince” scenarios. But, I am pretty sure that she took documents out of his office shortly after she learned he was dead. That seems like a common practice anymore of the Clinton admin… Sandy Burgler anyone?

Babs on October 15, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Runaround Hsu and the Drugstore Cowboy — 0 for 2.

Jaibones on October 15, 2007 at 12:07 PM

I’ve been hoping the morning show at WABC would get dumped, I love Curtis but just can’t stomach Kuby any longer. When Amadinajad was here Kuby comment that Donald Rumsfeld had killed more Americans than the Dinner Jacket. Not sure Imus is the best replacement, but I’ll give him a shot. I think his show will be a little less tolerant of the lefty weiners this time around. And any bad exposure for Hilary is a good thing.

ctmom on October 15, 2007 at 12:10 PM

I listened on and off to Imus until the show became non-stop antiwar haranguing.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on October 15, 2007 at 12:15 PM

I’m happy he’s back. He’s hit and miss for me, but I hate seeing a man forced out because he made a bad joke…and then the race pimps and the Clintons make him PE#1.

StoutRepublican on October 15, 2007 at 12:31 PM

Ugh, I was hoping he crawled away into some crypt where he’d stay. Zzzzz

spec_ops_mateo on October 15, 2007 at 12:32 PM

Man! I am amazed at how an idiot dud of a guy like anus Imus can have a show. it must be the Larry King syndrom

TheSitRep on October 15, 2007 at 12:34 PM

I never listened, and I have no interest in listening. In fact, I find his new situation a bit annoying, as I’ll no longer be able to wake up to Curtis and Kuby in the mornings, as I’ve done for years until now.

That said, if Imus remains a lefty, he won’t be so out of place on WABC in the morning. The show he’s replacing co-starred the stridently leftist and anti-American demagogue Ron Kuby. Beyond Kuby, though, the morning news guy also clearly tacked left, and even Curtis Sliwa, the ostensible right-winger, sounded more like Tucker Carlson or Arianna Huffington than Rush Limbaugh in terms of his political stances. It’s still New York, remember.

Kensington on October 15, 2007 at 12:35 PM

Didn’t listen to him before, and likely won’t now, though I’m a regular WABC listener.

While Hsu had a limited shelf life, it could be resuscitated perhaps if other illegals donors pop up.

JammieWearingFool on October 15, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Any long-time WABC listeners remember what stance Curtis and Kuby took on the Imus situation back when he got fired? It would be interesting if, say, Kuby supported the firing, given its current impact on his own radio career.

Kensington on October 15, 2007 at 12:43 PM

Well, there’s one reader who is. Do I hear two? Anyone? Bueller?

Allahpundit on October 15, 2007 at 11:37 AM

If there’s significant news or developments on the Hsu case, you betcha, if its a rehash with little new or important info, don’t bother.

Bad Candy on October 15, 2007 at 12:45 PM

My question is will he come back with his old crew? If he doesn’t have Charles and Bernie and Lou he can’t survive. I can live a lifetime without that ignorant Bo Dietl schmuck. He contributed absolutely zero to the old Imus show. I can’t imagine the show being any good if they are going to censor him but I hope a station in my area will pick him up so I can see!

OBX Pete on October 15, 2007 at 12:52 PM

Ayaan Hirsi Ali is a truly great story and worthy of coverage – a well spoken woman of courage and conviction – unlike most of the political woman who blather across the American stage.

I have listened to Imus in the past and find him less then interesting and not that intelligent – but does get some good interviews. If he was smart enough to interview instead of pander he would be a good listen. I certainly will not seek him out…

jimwesty on October 15, 2007 at 12:52 PM

Bad Candy on October 15, 2007 at 12:45 PM

I endorse and agree with this comment entirely. I want to hear about new developments in the Hsu story. But rehash? I already know Hillary’s running ponzi schemes for fundraising.

*dreaming of some prosecutor with Malkins to dig up enough on Hill to actually be able to arrest her and make it stick in court–that last part being the crucial one*

Imus? Just go away–I never listened to you and never want to.

Vanceone on October 15, 2007 at 12:56 PM

As for Ayaan Hirsi Ali, keep the coverage coming! This is an important story, and she needs the support!

Kensington on October 15, 2007 at 12:57 PM

It’s called Settling out of court.

- The Cat

MirCat on October 15, 2007 at 1:29 PM

I’m sure Imus will hate Hillary all the less for her lackeys at Media Matters taking him out…

DANEgerus on October 15, 2007 at 1:45 PM

I don’t usually listen either, but I will make a point of it if he goes after Hillary!!!!

jeanie on October 15, 2007 at 1:45 PM

Allan Sniffen at the New York Radio Message Board had an interesting take on why the “more successful” show is replacing the “less successful” one. Not surprisingly, it seems to depend on how you define “success”:

There is more going on here than one show on one station. Citadel wants Imus to syndicate him and thus improve its bottom line in multiple markets. This is not just about New York.

Second, Imus outbilled Curtis and Kuby in New York on WFAN. So, even locally, an argument can be made that Imus is a better deal for WABC.

Kensington on October 15, 2007 at 1:45 PM

I only tuned in to Imus occasionally while he was on MSNBC in the morning.

I blame this on my fascination with fake cowboys, watching train wrecks and studying old people with dementia.

fogw on October 15, 2007 at 1:48 PM

It’s called Settling out of court.

That could explain CBS putting him back on the air, but it wouldn’t explain Citadel putting him on the air.

Apparently Imus’s commercial revenues were higher than Curtis and Kuby’s. Brian Maloney seems to think that Imus’s old advertisers will not return to him, however. That seems far-fetched to me, especially as the conventional wisdom on the matter now seems to be that he never should have been fired in the first place, Al Sharpton’s hysterics notwithstanding.

I truly don’t know who I can listen to in the morning now, though; I’ve outgrown Opie & Anthony and have no interesting in listening to some buffoon shilling for Democrats and undermining the war effort day in and day out.

Kensington on October 15, 2007 at 1:50 PM

Flip and company as well as I are waiting for the release late today or tomorrow morning (past history is 1am est Tuesday) of the FEC quarterly reports for the refunds related to Hsu and that should give plenty of linkages to other campaigns to work with.

They are only stalling on this right now and there will be a lot more to work with IF they released the data in this report.

I will be even worse for them if the postponed it into next quarters report.

CommentGuy on October 15, 2007 at 2:26 PM

Also the Peter Paul issue is still heating up and could cause major grief for the Clinton Camp

CommentGuy on October 15, 2007 at 2:27 PM

“…will you listen to him now that he’s on WABC?”

F*ck no!.

georgej on October 15, 2007 at 3:03 PM

I’m SO GLAD he’s back!!!
He’s the ONLY one who consistently slapped around the major network MSM guys for their pomposity and ignorance! Yeah baby THAT was fun!

Ex-tex on October 15, 2007 at 3:34 PM

I find his voice annoying. What he says is also annoying. I really can’t stand him and don’t foresee any reason I would be listening to him regardless of the program or station.

deepdiver on October 15, 2007 at 5:33 PM

Imus has about as much of a future as Harry Reid does as Senate leader.

I disagree. The Reaper will lose in Nevada in the next round. Imus is carmudgeony but has a certain following. There were times when I thought that he is very independent, not left, nor right. Despite his drug-history, and his crappy ways, he has certain values that aren’t bad. He woke up late in life, opened his eyes to how much of it he had wasted…

I also believe that if he wants to, and really feels bad about Hillary (remember how she and her ‘husband’ felt about him when he mocked the hay/truck incident of Billy Jeff) that he can put a real deep ‘cut’ into her. He can convert quite a bit of that ice, not into water, but into chips. Coming from him criticism of her will be way more effective than from real righties.

Entelechy on October 15, 2007 at 6:14 PM

Is he starting another CSI show ? Is he going to play the part of a cadaver

oldelpasoan on October 15, 2007 at 7:51 PM

I listened before he was canned and missed it after. I will listen again if it comes back on here. I never really liked him but man there was some funny stuff on the show.

kahall on October 15, 2007 at 8:00 PM

Heh, I miss Bernie’s Cardinal Eagan bit.

Alden Pyle on October 15, 2007 at 9:47 PM

I’ve never heard his show, only from u-tube,but
for the people or groups who campaigned to silence him,
and now he’s back on the air,priceless,they can eat crow!

A victory toast to free speech.

canopfor on October 15, 2007 at 10:22 PM

I never listened to Imus much, but I did from time to time. However, based on how he was booted off the airwaves, I’m glad he’s back on now.

Drudge is talking about if the media elites will turn their backs on Imus. Personally, if I were Imus, I would never have on again people like Tim Russert, David Gregory, etc., who basked in the extra attention of appearing on Imus’s show, and once things got tough, ran away like a bunch of mice.

asc85 on October 15, 2007 at 10:38 PM

Credit where it’s due – Mr. Colmes supported his comeback 100% against some pretty nutty leftie yakking tonight.

Entelechy on October 15, 2007 at 10:46 PM