Baby Got Book

posted at 10:39 am on October 14, 2007 by Michelle

ABC News ran a piece yesterday on GodTube, the user-generated content site that focuses on Christian-friendly videos and filters out profane or sexual references. It “became the single fastest-growing site on the Web just after launching in August, according to comScore Media Metrix. Chris Wyatt, the company’s founder and chief executive, says the site attracts over 3 million unique visitors a month…’We apply Web technology to the gospel in a way that appeals to young people, Wyatt says. ‘We call it Jesus 2.0.’”

Here’s one of the site’s most-viewed videos: “Baby Got Book,” a Sir-Mix-a-Lot-inspired spoof created by Dan Smith while he was working at New Life Christian Church (Centreville, VA) for a Sunday morning sermon. Pretty good:

Comments

I saw this a while back. Still think it is funny.

terryannonline on October 14, 2007 at 10:43 AM

Pretty good.

Zorro on October 14, 2007 at 10:47 AM

Job well done.

Wade on October 14, 2007 at 10:52 AM

Very good. What a great way to reach out to the young people…makes me have a little hope and I’m glad their site is getting a lot of hits.

mimi1220 on October 14, 2007 at 10:58 AM

Just finished taking a look at that site, its a good one. I’ll bookmark it! Thanks Michelle.

Zorro on October 14, 2007 at 10:58 AM

Not bad….a bit too evangelical for this Catholic (no KJV here!) but anything that might get The Word out is a good thing. And it’s not “preachy”.

JetBoy on October 14, 2007 at 11:05 AM

At first I thought this was a recruitment tool for youth, but it’s clearly just a fun piece. Pretty good.

csdeven on October 14, 2007 at 11:10 AM

This is great! I will be sending this link around to all my family and friends.

sinsing on October 14, 2007 at 11:12 AM

That was surprisingly awesome. (in a wierd way)

TheSitRep on October 14, 2007 at 11:12 AM

am i the only one who doesn’t like this type of youth outreach? yes, the video is hilarious, but is that really the kind of pastor you want, the kinda guy who wants to be all hip and with it? what happened to all that great Diana West grown-up talk? Church should be about Truth, not about being all down with the latest fads. Bring back the latin mass, I say! (joking on that last line, serious about the rest)

AdrianG on October 14, 2007 at 11:14 AM

JetBoy, I agree. A bit too evangelical for me as a Catholic, but definitely cool. Good to see, based on the number of hits, that it’s popular.

amerpundit on October 14, 2007 at 11:21 AM

am i the only one who doesn’t like this type of youth outreach?…

AdrianG on October 14, 2007 at 11:14 AM

Again, I can only speak as a Catholic (and yeah, no Latin Mass for me…I’d rather people understand what’s being said) in that I find nothing wrong with this type of outreach. As long as the Word isn’t twisted or distorted, the rest is simply tradition. Even some Catholic Masses (and the Catholic Church is probably the least “forward-thinking” of ‘em all) have switched to more “youth-oriented” services…guitars, piano, and bongos have replaced the traditional organ music, for example.

I feel that anything that gets kids to to church, or th The Word, is a good thing.

JetBoy on October 14, 2007 at 11:25 AM

I couldn’t get past the rap. I hate rap.

petefrt on October 14, 2007 at 11:27 AM

am i the only one who doesn’t like this type of youth outreach?

Yeah, I go back and forth on this. The video is funny and the site seems to be a place where you can go view videos that aren’t laced with profanity or other objectionable material. However, I think this tends to cheapen the gospel(IMHO). Has anyone ever come to faith by reading a “My Boss Is A Jewish Carpenter” from a bumper sticker?
Entertainment value = 10
Evangelistic Value = questionable

My two cents…

ulyses on October 14, 2007 at 11:27 AM

As a Catholic, it’s always been difficult for me to view anything fun, lighthearted or tongue-in-cheek as meaningfully religious. (I that’s a problem alot of Catholics have) That having been said, they definitely get an A+ for creativity! Thanks for sharing, Michelle.

John on October 14, 2007 at 11:31 AM

AdrianG on October 14, 2007 at 11:14 AM

What does the bible itself say about it? Perhaps this will give you a hint.

1 Corinthians 9:19-23

19 For though I am free with respect to all, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I might win more of them. 20To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews. To those under the law I became as one under the law (though I myself am not under the law) so that I might win those under the law. 21To those outside the law I became as one outside the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law) so that I might win those outside the law. 22To the weak I became weak, so that I might win the weak. I have become all things to all people, so that I might by any means save some. 23I do it all for the sake of the gospel, so that I may share in its blessings.

doriangrey on October 14, 2007 at 11:31 AM

AdrianG on October 14, 2007 at 11:14 AM

The Christians should remain static, like Islam, living hundreds ago and staying there. /sarcasm

Wade on October 14, 2007 at 11:32 AM

What. A bunch. Of dorks.

Enrique on October 14, 2007 at 11:38 AM

Did Jesus himself wear that much bling?

Always Right on October 14, 2007 at 11:41 AM

It’s official. All religions are stupid.

SoulGlo on October 14, 2007 at 11:44 AM

That is one of the reasons I much prefer the English Mass over the more “traditional” Latin Mass. I think having the Mass in the local language of the people makes it much more personally meaningful and allows people to connect with the Lord more directly.

On the other hand, I draw the line there. Drums, gongs, and percussion instruments of any type have no place in church. Some guitar music is fine, but it should be reverent, subdued and sound like church music, not rock and roll or – or just as bad – 1960′s protest music.

Just my opinion.

John on October 14, 2007 at 11:45 AM

Thanks for the (rare) post Michelle. Classic fun from the non-stodgy crowd.

Enrique on October 14, 2007 at 11:38 AM

As St. Pual would say “If any man among you thinks that he is wise in this age, let him become foolish that he may become wise” (1 Cor. 3:18)

Mojave Mark on October 14, 2007 at 11:46 AM

Just my opinion.

John on October 14, 2007 at 11:45 AM

But is your opinion in agreement with the bible?

Psalm 150

150:1 Praise the Lord! Praise God in His sanctuary;
Praise Him in His mighty firmament!
150:2 Praise Him for His mighty acts;
Praise Him according to His excellent greatness!
150:3 Praise Him with the sound of the trumpet;
Praise Him with the lute and harp!
150:4 Praise Him with the timbrel and dance;
Praise Him with stringed instruments and flutes!
150:5 Praise Him with loud cymbals;
Praise Him with crashing cymbals!

150:6 Let everything that has breath praise the Lord.
Praise the Lord!

Hmmm, doesn’t look like it.

doriangrey on October 14, 2007 at 11:50 AM

John on October 14, 2007 at 11:45 AM

You should study the book of Psalms. In the Lord’s temple they used loud cymbals, trumpets, and stringed instruments. They shouted, clapped, and danced. The book of Psalms is God’s opinion of how worship should sound.

When in doubt, check it out.

Mojave Mark on October 14, 2007 at 11:50 AM

doriangrey: You’re fast!

Mojave Mark on October 14, 2007 at 11:51 AM

doriangrey: You’re fast!

Mojave Mark on October 14, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Let us just say that I have opened a bible more than once. And as a hard Rock/heavy metal musician who just happened to be a Christian in the early 80′s I have, shall we say, discussed this topic more than once.

doriangrey on October 14, 2007 at 11:58 AM

Wade on October 14, 2007 at 11:32 AM

alright, alright :)

i just think that while adults will look at this and say, ‘oh, great, he’s reaching out to the children,’ the kids themselves will see right through him for the dork he is. and as for islam, well, nation of islam rappers are totally hardcore…

anyway, i’ll bow out of this discussion, just want to leave you, as you apparently would like, with the (slightly paraphrased) words of the divine Tupac:

Pray slow, mother******!

AdrianG on October 14, 2007 at 12:03 PM

Let us just say that I have opened a bible more than once. And as a hard Rock/heavy metal musician who just happened to be a Christian in the early 80’s I have, shall we say, discussed this topic more than once.

doriangrey on October 14, 2007 at 11:58 AM

I have too, and I agree with you completely.

In fact, the original hymns were all bar songs.

Esthier on October 14, 2007 at 12:05 PM

Can someone explain this one to me?

It’s a mac/pc parody. Kinda cute; but I don’t get the joke.

lorien1973 on October 14, 2007 at 12:09 PM

alright, alright :)

Pray slow, mother******!

AdrianG on October 14, 2007 at 12:03 PM

Nobody is suggesting that you bow out of the conversation, you have the right to your opinion. What is being suggested is that before you form an opinion you do a little research on the subject that you are opining upon.

Since this is not a subject that the bible is silent on, would it not be a prudent idea to consult the bible before forming an opinion on the subject?

doriangrey on October 14, 2007 at 12:12 PM

lorien1973 on October 14, 2007 at 12:09 PM

I guess the video is just showing the difference between people who like put on the appearance of Christian and people that really follow Christ.

terryannonline on October 14, 2007 at 12:16 PM

It’s a mac/pc parody. Kinda cute; but I don’t get the joke.

lorien1973 on October 14, 2007 at 12:09 PM

Your probably not getting the joke, because there is no joke there. Its a full on indictment taken straight from Matthew

Matthew 23:27

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye are like unto whited sepulchres, which indeed appear beautiful outward, but are within full of dead men’s bones, and of all uncleanness.

doriangrey on October 14, 2007 at 12:18 PM

This is great.
And for those wondering if this ‘fits’…I’m pretty sure God knows it’s the year 2007.

shooter on October 14, 2007 at 12:19 PM

I think there needs to be more of this wholesome entertainment.

I really can’t believe people throw around the word ‘evangelical’ like they know what they are talking about. I guess it is the Catholics who want to distance themselves from ‘those other so called Christians’. I am assuming again that most Catholics consider Baptists to be ‘evangelical’. I’ll have you know that at a Baptist school (Wake Forest) they did not allow DANCING AT ALL until the mid 70′s.

So for all you ‘holier than thou’ Catholics casting aspersions at ‘evangelicals’, I think definitions are in order. Baptists also DON’T USE REAL WINE during the communion (ya’ll know it as ‘mass’) because they believe drinking is a SIN. We still have blue laws and DRY COUNTIES in the ‘evangelical’ areas that are ‘not Holy enough’ for you Catholics.

Anyway, I just love the Catholics who throw around the ‘bigot’ word all the time when it comes to something that might possibly be perceived as ‘anti-Catholic’. But when it comes to showing bigoted attitudes toward other Christians, you have no problem at all.

All I have to say is that you are supposed to PRAISE THE LORD in everything you do. Some people here said, they need to be more focused on the message. Well how does the LATIN MASS focus on the message when YOU CAN’T EVEN UNDERSTAND THE LANGUAGE?!

Catholics are something else I tell you. Jesus IS LORD! HE IS RISEN! CELEBRATE THE LIVING, LOVING GOD! Shout from the mountain tops PRAISE THE LORD! It is such amazing GOOD NEWS (another translation of the term ‘Gospel’) how can you keep from dancing, singing, celebrating unless you don’t really understand WHO Jesus IS?!

Thank you for showing us this Michelle. There needs to be more of this, and it is telling that it is popular. You CAN have popular shows without showing sex, violence, or profanity. God is popular among the youth. This is GOOD NEWS!

ThackerAgency on October 14, 2007 at 12:31 PM

terryannonline on October 14, 2007 at 12:16 PM

I figured that was the idea. But the end kinda laid there with no punchline that’s why it was confusing. I got the idea that PC was showing everyone how christian he was; while the other guy just was a christian.

Seems a little contradictory to the “big book” video earlier to me.

I like the idea of this site, doesn’t look like they anticipated the traffic though it runs a little slow (oh to be in their shoes!).

lorien1973 on October 14, 2007 at 12:32 PM

Just for the record, I am not Baptist. I am non-denominational Christian, but I think the Baptist ideology most closely reflects my personal belief on what the Bible says.

ThackerAgency on October 14, 2007 at 12:35 PM

well from my own personal experience, when i was younger a rock station played a song by christian group ‘DC Talk’ called “Jesus Freak”. (I still can’t believe they played that song, this was a hard core rock station). I thought the song was so awesome that it peaked my interest. It made Christianity ‘cool’, it no longer meant sanctimonious uptights and itchy church clothes to me. So it can work, and theres allot of worse things kids could be listening to or doing.

Keli on October 14, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Or probably even more closely with the Moravians, but most people don’t know what the Moravians believe so I stick to the Baptist analogy when anyone asks me what ‘denomination’ I believe. But mine is a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. I recommend it.

ThackerAgency on October 14, 2007 at 12:37 PM

Keli on October 14, 2007 at 12:36 PM

You’re right. It can be used to peak interest.
I think we walk a fine line in making the gospel message relevant to our present culture while making sure the message doesn’t get watered down.

ulyses on October 14, 2007 at 12:44 PM

man that was great, :)

trailortrash on October 14, 2007 at 12:55 PM

Thanks for running this story. I absolutely love it. That was the best 8 minutes I spent all week. The video was engaging, the time went fast. Loved it!!

PoliticallyIncorrectSandy on October 14, 2007 at 1:00 PM

okay, doriangrey, i’m back! i’m sorry, but i never said this was un-Biblical or theologically wrong, i just think it’s a bad idea, is all. i don’t know how many kids it will touch since i think most will see through the guy as a lame poser (even though i’m sure he’s very sincere in his belief) and i’m worried that the ones it will attract will be more interested in the rap than in the book and will just move on to real, un-christian rap in a few years.
the violence and misogyny of rap is a major evil in our society, i would like to see pastors denounce it (as michelle and laura often do!) rather than ape it.
okay, please bear with me here, but it’s just like the republican party! they didn’t have the malkins to stick to their principles, they tried to be all cool and nice and down with the kids, and now S-CHIP is about to pass because god forbid we harm the children! drifting away from their principles to win a few seats in the short-term has rendered them absurd in the long-term because they’re full of a bunch of RINOs and pansies. i don’t want to be a caricature of an uptight prude, i’m just worried that something similar might result out of these christian rap efforts, is all.

AdrianG on October 14, 2007 at 1:06 PM

I, too, am catholic, but the comments above sure don’t speak for me.
Even catholics have a sense of fun.
Yep, we sure do.
It doesn’t have to be soooo serious all of the time.
Do you all think that Jesus walked around the planet all serious and holier than thou all of his life? Nah, I think he danced at the weddings~

bridgetown on October 14, 2007 at 1:10 PM

Uh…He was holier than thou.
Sorry. Couldn’t resist.

ulyses on October 14, 2007 at 1:14 PM

ThackerAgency on October 14, 2007 at 12:31 PM

I don’t see where Catholics here have somehow dissed non-Catholics in this thread. I could get into a long, drawn-out argument on the “One, True Church”, but I digress.

I do wonder why you wouldn’t use real wine at your Baptist service though…when the Bible is pretty clear on Jesus turning water into wine, and wine being used at the last supper to represent Christ’s blood. Having a sip at church is quite different than boozing it up at a bar.

And the whole point of the Latin Mass was to keep the service from translation errors…to keep it in one language…which are prevelant in so many versions of the Bible, and have been twisted by various Christian sects. But I do agree that we’ve come to a point where those kinds of errors can be prevented, and it’s much better to understand what’s being said.

Catholics aren’t as “holier than thou” as you’d like to believe. And I do understand that so many non-Catholic Christans have some vendetta against The Church…I know SDA’s consider the Catholic Church to be the “whore of Babylon”.

meh…I’ll stop now. Before I get myself into touble.

JetBoy on October 14, 2007 at 1:21 PM

ulyses on October 14, 2007 at 1:14 PM

LoL, No doubt. But, I bet he would have danced with me anyway.

bridgetown on October 14, 2007 at 1:32 PM

at ThackerAgency….Whoa….
I have no idea where you are coming from. I’m Catholic, and for the life of me can’t understand why all of my baptist friends won’t drink or cuss at church, but party like Rock Stars when out and about.
And what’s with the dry counties? People just drive to the nearest Wet one, or they brew their own. I’ve tasted it myself. I’m not a holier than thou Catholic. I’m just a Catholic. I appreciate the Reverance and the Decorum of the Catholic Church Mass.
That’s just me.

bridgetown on October 14, 2007 at 1:39 PM

Thanks, Michelle. I am Catholic and prefer the awesomeness of the Latin Mass for myself, but I certainly am not adverse to different methods to reach out to different folks, especially kids. I grew up with Latin Mass, but the times were different and the Church wasn’t competing for young people’s attention.

I like the following video too, which I think is awesome.

Jesus Painting

Connie on October 14, 2007 at 1:39 PM

It’s not the size of the bible. It’s how you use it.

SouthernGent on October 14, 2007 at 1:44 PM

a song by christian group ‘DC Talk’ called “Jesus Freak”

Still one one of my favorite bands, and one of their great songs. And I turned 51 yesterday!

Bob's Kid on October 14, 2007 at 1:59 PM

I appreciate the Reverance and the Decorum of the Catholic Church Mass.

I do too–on occasion. Raised Catholic, even went to Catholic school where I knew the Latin Mass by heart ’til they changed it, in what? early 60s? Now a non-denom EvangProt. And I love the old hyms, but like the new stuff even better–all the way from Randy Stonehill to Second Chapter of Acts to Petra to Third Day. I worship in music more than any other way.

A child of the 70s I guess.

Bob's Kid on October 14, 2007 at 2:05 PM

bridgetown on October 14, 2007 at 1:32 PM

I bet He would have. :-)

ulyses on October 14, 2007 at 2:08 PM

AdrianG on October 14, 2007 at 1:06 PM

I don’t mean to appear to be attacking you, but you are being narrow minded and intolerant here.

i just think it’s a bad idea

will see through the guy as a lame poser

When Jesus Christ attacked the Pharisees it was for exactly this same mentality. “Thats not the way we do it so it cant be right”.

but i never said this was un-Biblical or theologically wrong,

This is where you must carefully consider what you are saying and thinking. Something that is not theologically wrong and is contextually Biblical cannot by its nature be wrong.

the violence and misogyny of rap is a major evil in our society,

There is nothing inherently evil about rap. Rap is simply stated “spoken word performance art set to Iambic Pentameter with a rhythmic background”. Nothing more and nothing less. As with any art form the intentions of the artist do not determine the nature of the art form itself.

To condemn Rap because of the actions of some Rappers is a mistake. Rappers must be held accountable for their actions, the art form itself is neither good nor evil, it has no more ability to be evil in and of itself than a hammer a saw or a gun has.

Art is nothing more than a tool, and a tool has no intention of its own. The intention belongs solely to the individual wielding the tool. In the hands of a good and honest police officer or solider a gun is a useful tool for good. In the hands of a murderer or thief a hammer a knife or a gun is a dangerous tool used for evil. But by themselves they are inanimate objects incapable of any action on their own.

Would you insist that your auto mechanic only use a pair of vise grips and crescent wrench to work on your car? Would you insist that your doctor only use a scapel? Then why restrict a pastor to the fewest number of tools to preach the gospel?

I know that you don’t want to be, but that is exactly what you are being. Consider the words of the Apostle Paul to the Philippians.

PHILIPPIANS 4:8

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy–meditate on these things.”

It seems to me that the use of Rap falls under this heading. It is nothing more than a tool, when the tool is used for good how can that tool be discarded because someone else has used the same tool for evil? Is it not the intention of the wielder that is important?

The loss of ones courage to stand for their convictions has no relationship what so ever with the manner in which any tool is used. The Apostle Paul was pretty clear in 1 Corinthians about this approach to preaching the Gospel. “I have become all things to all people, so that I might by any means save some.” I could rephrase this without changing its meaning in the slightest to this.

1 Corinthians 9:19-23

19 For though I am free with respect to all, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I might win more of them. 20To the Rappers I became as a Rapper, in order to win Rappers. To those under Rock and Roll I became as one under Rock and roll (though I myself am not a rocker) so that I might win those under Rock and roll. 21To those outside Rock and roll I became as one outside Rock and roll (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law) so that I might win those outside Rock and roll. 22To the old church people I became an old church person, so that I might win the old church people. I have become all things to all people, so that I might by any means save some. 23I do it all for the sake of the gospel, so that I may share in its blessings.

Do you see how this works? Paul is saying that he meets a person where they live and brings the gospel to them in the context of their lives, not in a form they are unable to understand. “I have become all things to all people, so that I might by any means save some”

Presenting the gospel to people in a manner and fashion they could understand was far more important to the Apostle Paul than his own traditions or ego. This is purely a case of the message not the messenger. Paul is saying in affect that the message must be delivered in a way that the receiver can relate to or the message or the receiver will not receive the message.

Having the Good News does nobody any good if they cannot understand it. Paul reiterates this principal in 1 Corinthians 14:19

Corinthians 14:19

19 however, in the church I desire to speak five words with my mind so that I may instruct others also, rather than ten thousand words in a tongue.

As I said before I am not trying to attack you, if I have come across this way I apologize, I am just asking that you carefully consider what the bible teaches on matters such as this before forming an opinion that might not be constructive.

doriangrey on October 14, 2007 at 2:13 PM

the violence and misogyny of rap is a major evil in our society,

And the major point of this video was to parody the violence and misogny of much rap by showing what is REALLY important about good woman–that she is a Godly woman who is more intimate with her Bible than she is with assorted men. The message is very clearly to NOT be drawn into seeing women the way rap music tends to do, as objects to be desired because they have big…whatever anatomical parts you like. The type of woman a Christian man should desire is one who has a big heart for the Lord. That will come ’round to bless him in the long run much better than one whose big claim to fame is that she could suck the chrome off a trailer hitch.

It’s using the medium (that sort of music) to contradict its usual message, and a kid will recognize that when s/he sees it.

Bob's Kid on October 14, 2007 at 2:25 PM

Er, I understand the Latin used in the Mass. Anyway, my old missal had the English text printed right next to it.

Pax Vobiscum ya’ll

Ellen on October 14, 2007 at 2:30 PM

A child of the 70s I guess.

Bob’s Kid on October 14, 2007 at 2:05 PM

Let me expound a little on what I said here.

doriangrey on October 14, 2007 at 11:58 AM

The 80′s were a tough and troubling time for me. I attended Calvery Chapel in San Diego California, the Pastor was Mike Macintosh, he was the director of Maranatha Music in the 70′s before starting Calvery chapel San Diego in 1975. As you probably know Maranatha Music pretty much started the genera of Christian Rock music.

In those early days there was a great deal of hostility towards Christians who played rock and roll from the more moderate mainstream churches. We were considered by many to be pawns of the devil who came into their churches to drag their children off to hell with us. Rock and roll was after all the “Tool of the Devil”.

Many today see Rap through the same intolerant eyes, and they believe that no good can possible come of it. While personally I have no use for Rap I do not subscribe to that philosophy. The Apostle Paul said “I have become all things to all people, so that I might by any means save some”

I believe this applies to Rap just as I know it applied to rock and roll. I have witnessed and known many people who received the gospel because of Maranatha Music’s use of rock and roll as a way to reach people that would otherwise never have stepped inside a church.

doriangrey on October 14, 2007 at 2:38 PM

Myself, I go for an NIV gal. KJV ladies are a little too “old fashioned,” but sometimes I’m in the mood. I’ve even been known to be up for The Message.

I particularly liked how his “Southpaw” bling was on his right hand.;-)

Mallard T. Drake on October 14, 2007 at 2:39 PM

doriangrey on October 14, 2007 at 2:38 PM

I agree with everything you say–I’m not a musician, but yearned for good Christian music in my teens. The Houseplant song by AA sums up that era pretty well.

And for me, a good worship band is a must-have in a church–I’ve recently had to leave the church where I worshipped since I was 15 because my former spouse still attends, and it ain’t easy to find one that is:

Big enough to have varied services for varied folks (kids, singles, etc.) but not too big
Conservative, Evangelical, but not fundie
Bible-based (not Burger King)
Pro-Israel
Pro-life
Pro-science
And a killer worship band, preferably at an early Sunday AM service.

Close to home would be nice too. I think I will be looking for a looooong time.

Myself, I go for an NIV gal.

I prefer that one too. I jumped for joy when it came out. Don’t spend enough time it it, though. I’m feeling this is a good reminder that I should spend a little more

Bob's Kid on October 14, 2007 at 2:52 PM

Bob’s Kid on October 14, 2007 at 2:52 PM

Got to say I prefer a Thompson Chain myself…

doriangrey on October 14, 2007 at 2:54 PM

“Makes me so Holy”.

Is it sac-religious to laugh at that???

ericire12 on October 14, 2007 at 3:06 PM

doriangrey on October 14, 2007 at 2:54 PM

That’s a good one too! Great study Bible. Don’t have one though.

Gosh, Bibles are expensive!

Bob's Kid on October 14, 2007 at 3:09 PM

As a teenager in the 70′s I attended the Saturday night concerts that they had at the Calvary Chapel in Costa Mesa. They were great and reached a lot of young people. In the 80′s I sang in a Praise and Worship band. I agree with Bob’s Kid, a good worship band is a must have for the churches I choose to attend.

Rose on October 14, 2007 at 3:10 PM

Entertainment value = 10
Evangelistic Value = questionable

My two cents…

ulyses on October 14, 2007 at 11:27 AM

I think this is really just entertainment more for people who already are Christians. I doubt it’s really meant for an evangelism tool, it’s just supposed to be funny.
Same thing with bumber stickers…obviously a person isn’t going to get saved from reading one, but I really doubt anybody thought that was the point of having them anyways. Other people can have crude joke bumber stickers, why can’t we have Bible verse ones? That’s really all there is to it.

emmaline1138 on October 14, 2007 at 3:30 PM

Maybe I’m just too old, but I couldn’t understand a word of that rap.

jihadwatcher on October 14, 2007 at 6:38 PM

meh…I’ll stop now. Before I get myself into touble.

JetBoy on October 14, 2007 at 1:21 PM

Don’t mind the Protestants around here, they have a whiny streak about “the papists,” while they go around being cafeteria Christians who shy away from those aspects of Christianity which don’t reflect their personal interpretation of what the Bible says. They think God’s holy Word is best interpreted through a council of locally elected ministers, or at least that is what it seems to be given the fact a new protestant church splinters off every couple of months.

Now, I usually reserve my anti-Protestant claws to go along and get along, but I get rather tired when the most boistrous, pushy, obnoxious, loud-mouthed elements of Christianity start whining about “those holier-than-thou papists.”

BKennedy on October 14, 2007 at 8:03 PM

Is that Chelsea Clinton?

Buy Danish on October 14, 2007 at 9:16 PM

Great refreshing take on that song. Great editing too!

Coronagold on October 14, 2007 at 9:37 PM

Strangely enough, I do have an ear for the acoustic sound as it was the sound I was accustomed to hearing inside of church, but I remember giving away my secular rap collection & investing over $300 in Grits, and the likes of T-Bone & Unity Klan to appease my appetite for funk beats and bass.

ackrite55 on October 14, 2007 at 9:44 PM

Regarding Mac vs. PC parodies, Jonathan Falwell has been doing a series called iTruths, and each week has a Mac/PC parody video that get played just before the sermon. I’m not sure if they’ve been posted to GodTube (or YouTube) yet, but they’re hilarious.

Oh, by the way, the sermon outline is given on a giant iPod that gets rolled out onto the stage. If you go to TRBC.org you can see any of the streaming videos of the services to see it or the parodies. I think the series started about 6 weeks ago.

And we have drums and guitars (lots of them!) during our worship time. :) Our services tend to be pretty contemporary, although we use a lot of hymns, they’ve usually been updated a bit. :)

acleaver on October 14, 2007 at 10:22 PM

Utterly charming video.

An opinion

From a pro-Christian resident atheist.

RushBaby on October 14, 2007 at 11:58 PM

Huh…and how does this fare against Allah’s Atheist Radio show? Just curious…

thedecider on October 15, 2007 at 12:09 AM

Heh, heh, “Me so holy”

Alden Pyle on October 15, 2007 at 9:19 AM

Well, this Catholic thinks it’s fantastic!

Rightwingsparkle on October 15, 2007 at 9:37 AM

Awesome. Hilarious. “NIV with a ribbon bookmark” — I love it!

Numenorean on October 15, 2007 at 9:44 AM

I have to say…regardless of the fact that it’s a Christian parody…I saw it years ago and it’s one of my favorite parodies period.

Only trumped by WHITE AND NERDY by Weird Al.

And I agree with those that understand that this is not evangelizing…it’s fun for those that are already Christian.

And thanks for the link, Connie, to the Jesus Painting. That was wonderful.

tickleddragon on October 15, 2007 at 10:19 AM

Church should be about Truth, not about being all down with the latest fads.

Adrian,

FAITH and WORSHIP should be about the Truth. Doing it in a fun way doesn’t cheapen the Gospel or Christian message.

The reason the number of churchgoing Americans is continuing to slide downwards is because too many congregations worship like it is 1899 or go too far in being “inclusive.” Fact of the matter is that I wish Christians would abandon the concept of “church” beginning with a brick and mortar ediface for worship and simply gather as a community each Sunday to WORSHIP without the distractions of who gave the flowers, learning of the administrative decisions made by the ruling board, or the petty squabbles over traditional music v. praise music. All of that is inconsequential.

There is nothing less legitimate in faith to be expressed through a parody on the internet than the legitimacy found in a high mass conducted at St. Patrick’s Cathedral.

highhopes on October 15, 2007 at 1:22 PM

Yeah, yeah, way late to the party, but if anyone runs into this post later…

Bob’s Kid on October 14, 2007 at 2:25 PM

That comment was SO right on it deserved a second look.

“Me so holy” –best line of the video. Whatta creative way to make some points and have fun too!

–Rap Fan Catholic