Redeemer of all mankind crowned in Oslo; Update: “What has Al Gore done for world peace?” Update: Goracle thinks Hillary’s unstoppable? Update: Support for Gore soft, says Gallup

posted at 8:58 am on October 12, 2007 by Allahpundit

Look on the bright side: after Arafat, Carter, and Iranian marionette Mohammed ElBaradei, the award couldn’t possibly be more degraded. There are few things more important to the American left than the approval of the international left (a.k.a. “the way the world sees us”), though, which is why this really will turn up the volume on the “draft Gore” nonsense. As I said once before, it’s like getting an A++ on John Kerry’s all-important “global test.” In fact, the last American to win the Peace Prize told Wolf Blitzer two days ago that his dream for a Democratic president’s inaugural speech in 2009 is a 20-minute mea culpa apologizing to our European betters for George Bush’s sins. And whose voice would that groveling sound better in than Al Gore’s?

Your quotes of the day. First, from this morning:

The chairman of the Norwegian Nobel Committee, Ole Danbolt Mjoes, addressed reporters after the awards were announced and tried to dismiss repeated questions asking whether the awards were a criticism — direct or indirect — of the Bush administration…

He said the peace prize is only a message of encouragement, adding, “the Nobel committee has never given a kick in the leg to anyone.”

And from 2002:

The Norwegian Nobel Committee contrasted Carter’s success in finding peace between Egypt and Israel through diplomacy with President Bush’s vow to oust Saddam Hussein, by force if necessary.

“It (the award) should be interpreted as a criticism of the line that the current administration has taken,” said Gunnar Berge, the Nobel committee chairman. “It’s a kick in the leg to all that follow the same line as the United States.”

Now, read Krauthammer’s column today about Hillary. As bad as she is, it could be worse.

Update: Nice photo, by the way.

Update: Carter Eskew and two other unnamed Gore advisors tell Reuters and the AP, respectively, that he’s not getting in. From the latter: “If anything, the Peace Prize makes the presidential race less appealing to Gore, they said, because now he has an international platform to fight global warming and may not want to do anything to diminish it.”

More (Bryan): Gore won’t run for US president, but will become the first American Secretary General of the UN. Watch for it.

Update: Having been installed as America’s leftist pope, the Goracle can now crown the next king — or queen — of America. Donna Brazile:

“I don’t know if this will re-shape him or allow him to move back gracefully into politics. I believe Gore wants to be above the fray and not back in the middle.” But, Brazile said, he can wield his enhanced power with an endorsement (one he hopes turns out better than his support of Howard Dean, of course: “With the Nobel Prize now his to claim, Gore can play kingmaker and help the Dems win the White House in 2008.”

He’ll end up supporting Silky because Silky’s the leftiest of the bunch. And then Silky will flame out in the primary and we’ll all have a laugh. So this isn’t a total loss.

Update: Jim Treacher e-mails, “Don’t forget Kofi. He got a Peace Prize too. Because of all the peace!”

Update: I’m pleased to report that this post has earned the Enlightened Finger-Wag of Shame from Think Progress.

Update: At Britain’s Daily Telegraph, Damian Thompson drops a MOAB on the Goracle and asks the question of the day:

But there is a more fundamental objection to awarding Gore the peace prize that goes beyond issues of character. Climate change is a threat to the environment, not to “peace” and international order. The prize has gone to some sleazy recipients in the past, but at least you can make a case that their actions staved off bloodshed.

I’ll defend Gore a bit here. Norman Borlaug won the Peace Prize in 1970 for another initiative that wasn’t self-evidently “about” peace — namely, for his pioneering contributions to the world food supply. The peace angle lay in the fact that the more plentiful resources are, the less conflict would result from scarcity. That’s the same logic in Gore’s case, from what I can tell. If the ice is going to melt and the oceans are going to rise and climate disaster is going to deplete the world’s resources, then wars over those resources will inevitably result. By trying to prevent the depletion, he is, at least in theory, preventing war, too. It’s weak, but like I say, they did it for Borlaug.

Update (Bryan): Darn! I was really hoping my Armenia post would earn the “Think” Progress Finger-Wag of the Day. Always the bridesmaid…

Update: Not even a Nobel can stop the Clinton machine:

A source involved in Gore’s past political runs told CNN that he definitely has the ambition to use the peace prize as a springboard to run for president.

But he will not run, because he won’t take on the political machine assembled by Sen. Hillary Clinton, said the source. If the senator from New York had faltered at all, Gore would take a serious look at entering the race, the source said. But Gore has calculated that Clinton is unstoppable, according to the source.

Update: According to Gallup, his pre-Nobel favorables are lower and unfavorables higher than Hillary’s among Democrats. Maybe Gore’s right about her being unstoppable.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

jedijson,

i was wondering the same thing but what the committee’s response is, that climate chagne will start wars because people will start fighting over food, or land, or whatever. Not that they can prove a war started due to climate change at all. Its all a bunch of bs, but i knew that after carter got the peace prize, i guess when you let your enemies walk all over you, you must really seem like you are trying for peace

RWingVirus on October 12, 2007 at 12:05 PM

Hey, if you guys keep the snark up, Think Proggy is gonna start thinking about revamping/updating the Nicene Creed…

mojo on October 12, 2007 at 12:09 PM

Talk about playing on our fears…geez

tomas on October 12, 2007 at 12:14 PM

Having been installed as America’s leftist pope, the Goracle can now…

…administer Holy Communion of tofu and ethanol from the new Tower of Babel at his carbon neutral home in Tennessee.

infidel4life on October 12, 2007 at 12:26 PM

Wow, liberalism 101 on display over at that Think Progress post:

“And my daughter, who’s just 18, was turned off by how it was political. So there you go”

I guess this means that it’s ‘fair game’ to post where she goes to school, how much money her parents make, etc etc?

Note to the Right: this is *irony*- I personally think attacking children – or adults through their kids – is disgusting, but it’s become clear that you think it’s fine, even encouraged, so I provide this disclaimer in case you take me seriously.

Comment by stefan — October 12, 2007 @ 12:09 pm
Add Karma Recommend (0) | Report Abuse

RightWinged on October 12, 2007 at 12:27 PM

“The all important difference, though? Borlaug addressed a problem that was indisputably real with indisputably real solutions.”

Thanks for the additonal comparison to Borlaug. Your point, above, is the critical difference. Athough, in many instances, the connection between starvation and conflict was indirect and often on the smaller individual, group and societial scale, such conflicts were real and occurring, not theoretical, imagined and only a possibility in the future, not to mention that aspect of those three are highly debatable.

This is just another “feel good” award from and for our self-appointed elite. Another feather in their cap; it’s another check in the “AGW is Real” column, after all, ‘one can’t deny a Nobel Peace Prize has been awarded on the subject’.

I save my congrats for the person down the road who receives this award for saving a billion lives by being instrumental in defeating this charade turned monster.

Dusty on October 12, 2007 at 12:31 PM

Gore isn’t running, ’cause then he’d have to go on a diet. Just wait til a study comes out showing that being a “lardass Yank,” (I hope that’s one nickname that will stick) increases Global Warming. Easy money. Being a lardass increases flatulence which are greenhouse gasses which are attacking the ozone layer– QED. See, I know my science. At least as well as Gore.

smellthecoffee on October 12, 2007 at 12:37 PM

They should give Al Bore a fake Nobel to match his fake documentary.

I suspect that the name “Think Progress” must be more of this Lefty satire we’ve been hearing about, given the utter lack of thinking or progress among that group of mental midgets. Even if you agree with the bloated gasbag on global warming, only a liberal could ignore the fact that he’s a colossal hypocrite. Then again, these are the same people that support John Edwards, so I should hardly be surprised.

ReubenJCogburn on October 12, 2007 at 12:38 PM

Ok, Al, Congratulations on winning the Nobel Peace Prize. Tell me again what were/are your solutions again? Oh, wait, less reliance on fossil fuels? Conserve water? Grow your own food? Go vegan? Make your clothing?

Ah, you know Al, you really should be sharing your prize or perhaps willingly give your prize money to the Amish because they have been doing the same exact thing for hundreds of years.

The Amish value simplicity and self-denial over comfort, convenience and leisure. Their lifestyle is a deliberate way of separating from the world and maintaining self-sufficiency. (Amish are less threatened by power shortages caused by storm, disaster, or war.) As a result there is a bonding that unites the Amish community and protects it from outside influences such as television, radios, and other influences.”

kiakjones on October 12, 2007 at 12:45 PM

Comment by stefan — October 12, 2007 @ 12:09 pm
Add Karma Recommend (0) | Report Abuse

Here’s the funniest part. That “kid” mentioned in the post that this person is tearing apart on the other website is 18. That “kid” ain’t a kid anymore.
I always say, you’re old enough to vote and serve in the military, you ain’t a kid anymore.

I will join the chorus of “what a crock.” Of course, I practically had a seizure when Yassar Arafat got his Nobel Peace Prize. I guess “peace” by my definition is completely different from the committee’s version of peace. Then again, I suppose the peace of death is a peace of sorts….

mjk on October 12, 2007 at 12:45 PM

The peace angle lay in the fact that the more plentiful resources are, the less conflict would result from scarcity. That’s the same logic in Gore’s case, from what I can tell. If the ice is going to melt and the oceans are going to rise and climate disaster is going to deplete the world’s resources, then wars over those resources will inevitably result. By trying to prevent the depletion, he is, at least in theory, preventing war, too. It’s weak, but like I say, they did it for Borlaug. — Allahpundit

Another way to look at it, is if we do what Al Gore wants and take CO2 out of the air, then all plants die, there is no more food and eventually all people die. Thus you have peace.

Maxx on October 12, 2007 at 12:46 PM

Florida called…they want their chads back!

SouthernGent on October 12, 2007 at 12:47 PM

mjk on October 12, 2007 at 12:45 PM

I think you missed the point… They were threatening to reveal Doocy’s personal information, etc.

RightWinged on October 12, 2007 at 12:49 PM

Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray to High Al my air conditioner to keep;
And if I should sweet before I wake,
I pray to High Al my bath water not to take.

MB4 on October 12, 2007 at 12:49 PM

[RightWinged on October 12, 2007 at 12:27 PM]

Yeah, unbelievably illogical, but typical of liberals who carry their children like shields into battles. Reminds me of the Palestinians.

Dusty on October 12, 2007 at 12:55 PM

Able to guzzle more energy than dozens of normal men! Producing more hot air than a locomotive! Able to pile up carbon credits higher than a tall building in a single bound!!!

Look UP in the sky! It’s ChickenLittle! It’s FlyingSnakeOilSalesman! It’s the Sultan of Chad! It’s the Ayatollah of Heat! No, it’s CarbonMan in a private jet painted green! And now following in the tradition of other great men such as Jimmy Carter and Yasir Arafat, he is the proud recipient of a Nobel Prize!!!

CarbonMan, strange visitor from an alternate reality who came to Earth with dire warnings and apocalyptic predictions far beyond those of previous religious messiahs, disguised as Fat Albert, and now joined by other members of the Royal GreenLeague such as BioFuelHummerMan and EcoCleaningWoman, they all fight a never ending battle for science fiction, new religion hypocrisy and the Hollywood way!

MB4 on October 12, 2007 at 12:59 PM

I still wonder what global warming has to do with peace.

America is evil and far too powerful.

Crippling American productivity with carbon limits will allow China and others to play catch-up and get the dream of a communist utopia up to speed.

In this utopia, all will be equal under the benevolent rule of The Gore and there will be peace.

QED

saint kansas on October 12, 2007 at 12:59 PM

They are turning this Bloated Bag of Gas into a Prophet of the Relgion of zelot environmental nut jobs.

americaslaststand on October 12, 2007 at 1:00 PM

RightWinged on October 12, 2007 at 12:49 PM

Nope, sure didn’t. I’m just pointing out the fact that an 18-year-old isn’t a kid anymore. You want to call someone a kid make sure they actually are one. It’s the “nuance” of the position that a kid is a kid if a liberal calls them one. (just like Casey Sheehan was a kid, some 40-year-old terrorist was a misunderstood kid, etc, etc.)

Yeah, it’s stupid and terrible to release people’s personal infomation, but it’s also negates your points automatically when you call an 18-year-old a kid. Just like when someone calls another a “Nazi” automatically makes them irrelevant (unless that other person actually is a Nazi).

mjk on October 12, 2007 at 1:00 PM

mjk on October 12, 2007 at 1:00 PM

Well I agree about 18 year old’s not being “kids”, but I really don’t see how raising that in this case is relevant. The libs at Think Progress are pissed at Steve mentioning that his daughter watched (and actually liked!) the movie, but found it got a little too political, and in retaliation they joke that it might be good to release the name of her school and other personal information about the Doocy family.

That was the point, it has nothing to do with being a “kid”. It has to do with not endangering innocent high school students, or even their parents, simply over political disagreements.

I just don’t get where the “kid” argument comes in to play here at all.

RightWinged on October 12, 2007 at 1:05 PM

MB4 on October 12, 2007 at 12:59 PM

Nice update MB4. I guess we got to give the devil his due. But you need to work something in about the Oscar too.

Maxx on October 12, 2007 at 1:07 PM

This whole “Nobel” thing is nothing more than liberals awarding liberals for being liberals.

Tony737 on October 12, 2007 at 9:15 AM

You are nothin’ my friend until the socialist elite of Sweeden bestows intelligence and moral authority upon you!

The little Czech President has this nailed.

Bill Clinton must be wettin’ his pants over this one, after all the effort for the tsunami+, and schmoozing he’s done around the world…here comes Al and upsets him with the title, and the fatter bank account (not from the prize, just from general baloney).

Mr. Nobel “My countrymen are nuts but I’m dead and it’s all the same, Arafat, Carter, Gore,…peace, science, whatever…”

In a sane world this prize should go to the American Soldiers or someone who really does something for freedom and peace around the globe.

Entelechy on October 12, 2007 at 1:18 PM

Update: Not even a Nobel can stop the Clinton machine:

I think the lesson here is that glaciers aren’t affected by global warning.

James on October 12, 2007 at 1:25 PM

[James on October 12, 2007 at 1:25 PM]

Good one.

Dusty on October 12, 2007 at 1:38 PM

I’m approaching 40 and don’t remember a time during my adult life when I had the least bit of respect for Nobel Peace prizes. So many worthless and/or bad people have received them over the years the prize has lost any shred of credibility that it may have once had several decades ago, IMO.

Congratulations to Gore for his worthless prize. They were made for each other.

FloatingRock on October 12, 2007 at 1:42 PM

My gag reflex is kicking in!

(love the photo caption, Gloria in excelsis Deo. How long has it been since you attended a Mass in Latin?)

Zorro on October 12, 2007 at 1:48 PM

Oh please. You want to eliminate global warming? Give me 30 billion, and I can get rid of global warming for a very long time. Probably less than 30 billion, in fact.

Just cover the gulf stream with mylar (or other cheap reflective substance) for, say, 600 miles along the coast of Europe. Maybe a thousand. Make it so water vapor cannot pass through.

This has NUMEROUS cooling effects: One, Western Europe’s temps plunge, becoming more like Canada. This means snow falls earlier and stays later over a large land area. Snow is bright, thus reflective–thus, sunlight shining on snow sends a lot more heat back into space. This means far less solar heating…. driving down temps worldwide. Paris becomes like Moscow. The 70 odd mile wide thousand mile long strip of mylar reflects a ton of solar heat too, further reducing temps. Glaciers in Copenhagen! People begging for Global Warming! This could happen next year (well, maybe not the glaciers)…. and it’s cheap, too. Why, the libs hysteria alone might cough up the 30 bill. If not…. putting paris into an ice age might be considered defense spending anyway, right? :grins:

Global warming is EASILY solved. You want a cheaper solution? Evacuate Greece and drop a couple of hydrogen bombs on Thera island in the agean, thus awakening the most massive volcano in recorded history. All that ash will reduce temps world wide.. especially if you set off Mt. Pinatubo and Mt. St. Helens at the same time. Ten Hydrogen bombs, temps drop worldwide significantly.

Maybe even conventional explosives, if you don’t want radiation.

If you don’t want to mess with the gulf stream, just do the same mylar reflective patch somewhere in the pacific, except bigger. An area the size of greenland, say. 95 % reflectivity— far less solar heating. Temps go down… no radiation, fallout, or ash piles. Relatively cheap, and effective. Heck, the basic principle is from the idea of the “Snowball Earth.”

Just 20-30 billion, people. I’ll solve Global warming in a hurry. Alas, the side effects of making everyone’s economy into a communist utopia is something that I’d have to forego… you would keep your tax dollars. For the Daily Kos, that’s a drawback. Ah well, I’m sorry. As a private enterprise, I have to do it cheap, effective, and much faster than the gubmint. Such a shame.

Vanceone on October 12, 2007 at 2:22 PM

A “kick in the leg” ????
What the hell kind of weenie Scandi nonsense is that?
Dudley Smith on October 12, 2007 at 11:22 AM

It’s the literal translation of an idiomatic expression. The proper, English translation would be “a slap in the face”. (Or “kick in the nuts” for New York English.) So the Carter award was meant as an insult, a slap in the face, to the Bush administration (as was this one).

andycanuck on October 12, 2007 at 2:23 PM

The best part about covering the gulf stream? All the libs in Europe can cool off first–just what they want! The resulting Canada-like continent will probably reduce Muslim immigration dramatically, cut energy usage in the summer enormously (though that’s probably offset by the winter heating bill), and Europe’s economy sent into a talespin! The US grows with all the jobs, refugees from Europe (though I suggest not accepting many of them), and we still get to enjoy our warming trend for a while, at least.

Where’s the downside? Libs love being miserable anyway, so both sides should agree on this! Cover (or divert) the Gulf Stream now!

Vanceone on October 12, 2007 at 2:27 PM

Vanceone on October 12, 2007 at 2:22 PM

What just a minute now! You said Mt. Saint Helens? Hydrogen bombs? I live 50 miles from Mt. Saint Helens!!! It was dusty enough in 1980 without any damn hydrogen bombs too!

Actually, I do not see how hydrogen bombs would set off a dormant volcano. Better stick with the mylar along the coast of Europe. You should go with that.

MB4 on October 12, 2007 at 2:33 PM

And Mother Theresa when she won a Nobel Peace Prize stated that abortion is the biggest threat to world peace which is arguable as demographic decline can lead to conflicts and already has in Lebanon and her native Croatia along with other Balkan states.

aengus on October 12, 2007 at 2:42 PM

ReubenJCogburn on October 12, 2007 at 12:38 PM

Yes, but is he a carbon-neutral gasbag?

Rick on October 12, 2007 at 2:46 PM

(2007-10-12) — Although former Vice President Al Gore won the Nobel Peace Prize this week for his work as a global-warming performance artist, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled early today that President George Bush would receive the gold medal, the diploma and the $750,000.

scrappleface

reaganaut on October 12, 2007 at 2:50 PM

If anyone would like to submit AlGore’s name to my committee, we’ll be awarding the First Annual Ignobel Pizza Prize for the person who sacrificially absorbs the most hot food into his own body before it can affect the ocean currents.

NellE on October 12, 2007 at 3:01 PM

Yes, but is he a carbon-neutral gasbag?

Rick on October 12, 2007 at 2:46 PM

Not even close, but he sold himself some Carbon Indulgences so it’s all okay now.

ReubenJCogburn on October 12, 2007 at 3:08 PM

Let’s consider past winners of this prize:
Nelson Mandela – terrorist
FW De Klerck – terrorist enabler
Jimmy Carter – enough said
Yasser Arafat – terrorist and spreader of HIV

I’d say Gore is quite a step up. He’s done the least harm.

PRCalDude on October 12, 2007 at 3:11 PM

A “kick in the leg” ????
What the hell kind of weenie Scandi nonsense is that?
Dudley Smith on October 12, 2007 at 11:22 AM

Shouldn’t it really be?

“Ain’t that a kick in the head?” – Dean Martin

kiakjones on October 12, 2007 at 3:13 PM

I still wonder what global warming has to do with peace.

In liberal minds, fighting global warming is the solution to the world’s problems. This gives all the world a common cause – we either all work together to save the planet, or we suffer the consequences, which are horrific. If everybody gets on board, we all start focusing on the fight against global warming, and stop “petty” fights with each other. It’s a fight that doesn’t violate civil liberties – a fight everyone can take on, and be on the same team. It’s largely a fight against large, greedy, and non-environmental killing corporations – a fight to put the clamps on them. It also promotes a worldwide socialist agenda, which can be centrally controlled by an organization like the UN. Lastly, liberals see it as a way to create new jobs – the current infrastructure is not “environmentally friendly”, and thus, must be completely re-done.

It’s the best thing that could have ever happened to liberals – it doesn’t matter that it hasn’t been proven yet. In fact, that’s the best part about the whole thing. If they can just get everybody to buy into this, they’ve got it made.

Rick on October 12, 2007 at 3:17 PM

It’s largely a fight against those large, greedy, and non-environmental killing corporations

Oops, didn’t preview before submitting.

Rick on October 12, 2007 at 3:22 PM

He’s done the least harm.

Yeah, but he’s not dead yet.

JiangxiDad on October 12, 2007 at 3:45 PM

he’s WAY too big to be the peon in the White House now.

Judging from that photo, he’s way too big for a lot of things.

baldilocks on October 12, 2007 at 3:48 PM

How is this an award?

Kini on October 12, 2007 at 4:15 PM

Booby Prize

Kini on October 12, 2007 at 4:44 PM

Rick on October 12, 2007 at 3:17 PM

Yawn! Once again, man is more powerful than nature hence the need to globalize as one world and protect Gaia. Bull s**t. Nature can never succumb to man and the world is just fine. How about spraying DDT where there is malaria? How about defeating totalitarian regimes so that their populaces can eat and farm? How about liposuction on Goregantua?

MNDavenotPC on October 12, 2007 at 4:57 PM

baldilocks on October 12, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Sorry to see you go. I am working on a project related to newswriting, race, politics, media etc. You have been on my radar for some time. Please keep writing. Or at least keep your domain hot so that junkies like me can reach out to standouts like you.

The Race Card on October 12, 2007 at 5:24 PM

Is there a Nobel Prize for Gluttony?

Nosferightu on October 12, 2007 at 11:25 AM

Yup, it’s the Noble Peas Prize. Gore won that too. Gore = the Noblest Pea 2007.

petefrt on October 12, 2007 at 5:38 PM

Yup, it’s the Noble Peas Porker Prize. Gore won that too. Gore = the Noblest Pea Nuttiest Porker 2007.

petefrt on October 12, 2007 at 5:38 PM

Sorry.

MB4 on October 12, 2007 at 5:44 PM

Whom shall I honor this day? Al Gore (Ig)Nobel Peace Prize recipient or Lt. Michael Murphy Medal of Honor recipient? I am honored and humbled by your service and sacrifice Lt. Murphy. You are the epitome of Navy SEAL.

MNDavenotPC on October 12, 2007 at 5:46 PM

And the Goracle spoke all these words, saying: I am the Goracle your Oracle.

ONE: You shall have no other Goracles before Me.

TWO: You shall not make for yourself a carbon image–any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

THREE: You shall not take the name of the Goracle your Oracle in vain.

FOUR: Remember my birthday, and keep it carbon free unless you have credits that you bought from me.

FIVE: Honor me instead of your father and your mother especially if they don’t believe in global warming.

SIX: You shall not ever malign me.

SEVEN: You shall not commit adultery with my wife, but I can with your wife.

EIGHT: You shall not steal my carbon credits.

NINE: You shall not bear false witness against global warming.

TEN: You shall not covet any of my mansions; you shall not covet my private jets, nor my pizza, nor my Krispe Kreame dounuts, nor my hot fudge sundaes.

MB4 on October 12, 2007 at 6:00 PM

And da damn Go’acle spoke all dese wo’ds, sayin’: ah’ am de Go’acle yo’ Oracle. What it is, Mama!

ONE: You’s shall gots’ no oda’ Oracles befo’e Me. What it is, Mama!

TWO: You’s shall not make fo’ yo’self some carbon image–any likesness uh anydin’ dat be in heaven above, o’ dat be in de eard benead, o’ dat be in de booze unda’ de eard.

THREE: You’s shall not snatch de dojigger uh de Go’acle yo’ Oracle in vain. ‘S coo’, bro.

FOUR: Rememba’ my birdday, and keep it carbon free unless ya’ gots’ credits dat ya’ bought fum me. What it is, Mama!

FIVE: Hono’ me instead uh yo’ fada’ and yo’ moda’ especially if dey duzn’t recon’ in global warmin’.

SIX: You’s shall not eva’ malign me. What it is, Mama!

SEVEN: You’s shall not commit adultery wid mah’ mama, but ah’ can wid yo’ mama.

EIGHT: You’s shall not steal mah’ carbon credits.

NINE: You’s shall not bear false witness against global warmin’.

TEN: You’s shall not covet any uh my mansions; ya’ shall not covet mah’ private jets, no’ mah’ pizza, no’ mah’ Krispe Kreame dounuts, no’ mah’ hot fudge sundaes.

MB4 on October 12, 2007 at 6:04 PM

But he got only half the prize.

Bet that really whizzed him off.

petefrt on October 12, 2007 at 6:13 PM

TRC:

Thanks, sweetheart.

baldilocks on October 12, 2007 at 6:31 PM

Wow, Al won 1/2 the Nobel Prize, now he will go out and drink half a keg of Hieneken.

americaslaststand on October 12, 2007 at 6:35 PM

Update: Nice photo, by the way.

Yes, he looks like a Warm Globe.

Rick on October 12, 2007 at 6:36 PM

The best summary of the Goracle Piec…er, Peace Prize I’ve seen comes from Tom McMahon’s 4-Block World.

steveegg on October 12, 2007 at 7:32 PM

If Al Gore does decide to run, I have a theme song for his campaign, with no apologies to Pete Seeger -

Where have all the icebergs gone?

I’m thinking there’s a place for If I had a Hummer somewhere, but maybe that would be better for Hillary.

Buy Danish on October 12, 2007 at 8:26 PM

So, by making a movie that didn’t really change a whole lot of minds, didn’t cause a generation of people to change their habits to engender a 80% reduction in CO2 and other greenhouse gases to (as scientists have stated) remove mankind’s effect on the environment; and in general didn’t do anything… he gets a prize.

You know, I would have thought you’d actually have to have some noticeable tangible and real result to get a prize. Silly me, I don’t know what I was thinking.

But I guess since Gore has solved global warming which will avoid all those potential future climate wars (I mean, they wouldn’t give him an award for failing would they?) then I can just ignore the AGW crowd. Funny, I was ahead of the curve I guess.

gekkobear on October 12, 2007 at 8:29 PM

This global warming terrorists can’t answer one simple question. Why are the polar caps on Mars also melting ??? I even gave them a hint … we did send two ” Mars rovers ” for exploration,

aniladesai on October 12, 2007 at 9:17 PM

I wish Al Gore would run for President. That way I could laugh at him when he comes in third place.

SoulGlo on October 12, 2007 at 11:48 PM

An Al Gore presidency run would be PERfect right now as a third party candidate.

Dr. Singer breaks down global warming at Hillsdale college for us. It’s a wonderful speech/article.

Mojave Mark on October 12, 2007 at 11:59 PM

The Prise for being Blond and Dumb

Kini on October 13, 2007 at 4:11 AM

This award, along with Carter’s, Kofi’s, and Yasser’s, reming me of Buckley’s line about why he started National Review: I wanted to jump athwart history and yell “Stop!”
Is that right?

So wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

Is that Norwegian girl who interviewed Oddo on the Nobel committee?

silverfox on October 13, 2007 at 6:01 AM

Utterly disgusting for him to seek and accept this award.

What about all the Burmese monks who are literally being murdered while fighting for freedom? What about the Tibetans, Zimbabweans, Cubans, Venezuelans, Darfurians who risk their lives every day standing up to tyrants while fighting for freedom?

Hey, Albert … don’t you think those folks are a bit more deserving that your fat self?

Have you no shame?

No … no I guess you don’t.

Lisa Condo on October 13, 2007 at 11:42 AM

No one has yet mentioned the utterly vile Rigoberta Menchu … a hardcore Stalinist who lied her way to the award with a faked auotbiography.

Even after the fraud was revealed … the good leftists on the Nobel committee did nothing about revoking the award.

Here’s the real question … where are the wealthy right-winger who should be setting up a rival award … to be conferred on humanitarians who have really brought about world peace … like Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher?

Once again … the right is sound asleep … while the left runs wild.

Lisa Condo on October 13, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Must add 2 cent dittos: BARF!
What a huge-mongus BS snow job. Even bigger than Hillary’s being qualified to run for Pres. In the words of a talk show man of the past, “that’s one for the BOHICA file, Bend Over Here It Comes Again”. We’re all gonna take it in the shorts, now.

Liked Charles Krauthammer’s column, though. His last lines were great. Then there’s the rumored feud btw her and The Gore. Interesting times we live in, eh?

Still, as one of the ladies from last spring’s media meet with Michelle, and others, said, I just can’t deal with the thought of Billy-Jeff wandering around the White House with time on his hands. Yikes. What an image. Not unless Hillary issues chastity belts for all the female staff. Shudder. We in for rough waters, mates. “Evasive maneuver Beta-Four, Mr. Paris, and get us out of here!”

Roger Brown on October 13, 2007 at 12:16 PM

When I heard the news on Friday I was unsurprised. When the Nobel Prize is nominated and won by Terrorists, scientists that would later work for dictators, and Anti-Semites (that were laughed out the door by Kim Jong Il) like Jimmy Carter for political reasons, I don’t hold the Nobel Prize seriously.

I’d rather Rush Limbaugh not get the Nobel Prize either given how it’s been stained. I’m not sure if he’d agree and that’s fine.

But I’m not surprised Al “The debate in the science community is over.” Gore won, even if he shouldn’t for politicizing the debate of which he claimed is over. It’s not. But let him revel in his fame for being Michael Moore Lite.

Cutty S. on October 13, 2007 at 4:58 PM

ALBERT ARNOLD ( AL) GORE JR.

Albert Arnold – BWAAAHHHAHAHAHAHAH

oops, I wet em!

Kini on October 13, 2007 at 5:49 PM

If anyone knows about the sheer determination and power lust of the Royal Cowntess, it’s The Goracle…she took his office in the WH, just for starters. They hate each other but revenge, (or running against her), is impossible for good ol’ Al–he wants to live long enough to see returns on his carbon offset scam. I wish I was exaggerating.
If HRC wins, the only thing that would pry the Clintoons from Our House again would be a coup.

Christine on October 13, 2007 at 8:35 PM

And I use the word ‘win’ loosely.

Christine on October 13, 2007 at 8:36 PM

Oh Kini: Me too!

Christine on October 13, 2007 at 8:37 PM

He’s done it.

ManBearPig is no more.

Anil Petra on October 14, 2007 at 11:44 AM

You just had to get excelsior in a Gore story. Of course pure genius. Where did someone playing him use the word excelsior with his weak southern lispy drawl? It was hilarious. Gore is going to keel over soon from arterial or vascular issued tied to his hugenourous girth.

The history tellers are not screwing around. They are getting the Legacy in Stone done pronto before he goes Elvis on us.

pc on October 14, 2007 at 11:46 AM

If the left suceeds, in 30 years his will be a Dr. Zaius like statue somewhere in DC. They want their first pagan god installed to stand right up there with Lincoln and Washington.

pc on October 14, 2007 at 11:50 AM

The picture of ‘algore’ on ” Hot Air “, looks an awful like the old pictures of Chairman Mao. Frightening !

oldelpasoan on October 14, 2007 at 11:54 AM

Al Grunt’s role here is the same as a balloon in the Macy’s parade. Tie a string to his belly and stare in amazement.

saved on October 14, 2007 at 2:20 PM

Thousands of years ago glaciers melted and formed much of our current landscape. Since man can’t be blamed for that, how can we be blamed for the current warming trend? Isn’t it more likely that it is just a natural occurance?

ctmom on October 14, 2007 at 3:42 PM

Gore gets a cold shoulder

ONE of the world’s foremost meteorologists has called the theory that helped Al Gore share the Nobel Peace Prize “ridiculous” and the product of “people who don’t understand how the atmosphere works”.

“We’re brainwashing our children,” said Dr Gray, 78, a long-time professor at Colorado State University. “They’re going to the Gore movie [An Inconvenient Truth] and being fed all this. It’s ridiculous.”

“We’ll look back on all of this in 10 or 15 years and realise how foolish it was,” Dr Gray said.

“The human impact on the atmosphere is simply too small to have a major effect on global temperatures,” Dr Gray said.

MB4 on October 14, 2007 at 6:10 PM

CLIMATE CHANGE IS DEAD. GORE DIED WITH IT!

I cheered when I first heard Rap Music used in adverts aimed at the Middle Classes. I cheered because I knew that, at long last, a violent, artless “music” genre I despised had died.

I cheered Live Earth Day because I knew that it would herald the end of this dumb-arsed weather hysteria, we’ve been enduring for the past couple of years.

Live Earth day was a lethal overdose for Climate Change Inc. What we are seeing are the issue’s death throes.

Of course any hermit, sociopath or journalist – lacking the earthy reality gained from normal human interaction – may conclude that it is still a hot issue. This is purely down to media aftershock. Something “big” happens and the media milk it for all it’s worth. They only let go when the villagers storm the ramparts with torches, or the next big milkable issue comes along.

Proof? Why only today, the British media was helpfully recycling the British Health Secretary’s warning that obesity in the UK is “potential crisis on the scale of climate change”. I kid you not.

Of course, as far as the public is concerned this, weather hysteria is just “yesterday’s fashionable cause”. The issue of climate change is as dead as fried chicken. Nobody talks about it. People are sick to death of it and that is why Gore is unelectable.

Gore nailed his colors to the mast of the good ship Climate Change and would now rightly seen as a single issue candidate. A single issue that induces narcolepsy in sentient creatures….or at least will by 2008.

If Gore has an ounce of common sense (and his ownership of the both the Climate Change issue and a company selling carbon offsets, suggests he has) he will not enter the fray, but stand aside – making money as a wizened liberal guru, delivering after-dinner speeches and setting up meaningless foundations.

Two times presidential loser is hardly a money-spinning legend.

uptight on October 14, 2007 at 6:37 PM