New high-tech cart lets you feel what it’s like to go grocery shopping with Al Gore

posted at 7:37 pm on October 11, 2007 by Allahpundit

Yeah, taste the adventure. All that’s missing is some inveighing against neocon foreign policy and a little self-pitying self-aggrandizement about how America hasn’t really “caught up” to him yet.

Exit question, per a comment I saw on one of the green blogs about this: How likely is it that supermarkets are going to install machines that deter impulse purchases?

Comments

More importantly, why would I voluntarily use a piece of equipment that tells me what a piece of crap I am?

lorien1973 on October 11, 2007 at 7:41 PM

Maybe at like Whole foods , where the people are pretty insufferable already.

bbz123 on October 11, 2007 at 7:42 PM

Maybe at like Whole foods , where the people are pretty insufferable already.

bbz123 on October 11, 2007 at 7:42 PM

Exactly.

ScottMcC on October 11, 2007 at 7:47 PM

Exit Answer: If Big Nanny tells them to, very likely.

see-dubya on October 11, 2007 at 7:51 PM

What if the “recommended” food lists prove to be ,oh, WRONG!!!!?????
I eat bacon, butter, eggs, real food for real people and I have an enviable Cholestrol level, I need to find the link to that article that tells how the low-fat diet has led to more obesity and diabetes.

bbz123 on October 11, 2007 at 7:54 PM

I already got Jacobsen and his cronies at CSPI telling me I’m going to die an early and horrible death from cancer or heart disease. I’ve already got got the RIAA breathing down my neck because I’m bucking a horrendously out-dated fifty-odd-some-year-old business model. I’ve already got some washed-up ex-vice-president-limousine-liberal telling me that if I don’t start tracking my carbon emissions, direct or indirect, by the half-pound, I’m going to be up to my knees in ocean water in the next ten years (and I live in the American midwest, for crissake).

And that, my friends, is all just the proverbial tip of the iceberg. I don’t need some pansy-gadget telling me what a lousy person I am; I already know. And dammit, I’m not making any apologies! Last time I checked, my blood flows red just like everybody else’s!

gryphon202 on October 11, 2007 at 7:57 PM

bbz123 on October 11, 2007 at 7:54 PM

Wanna hear something funny, bbz? The most scientifically certain cause for the twentieth-century explosion of diabetes is the discovery of insulin(!).

Yup, you heard me right. The wonder-drug that treats one of the most universally deadliest diseases in human history has actually contributed to its spread by giving genetcially predisposed people an astronomically better shot at passing their diabetic genes down.

Isn’t it funny how solutions to complex problems always end up causing other problems? It’s probably the one universal constant.

gryphon202 on October 11, 2007 at 8:02 PM

Shout it loud and proud my good man…I’ll raise ya some cream and lard too ;-)

Hunting for the finest meat also burns calories and gets yer cardio working…kill it & grill it

Grrrr

Ochlan on October 11, 2007 at 8:07 PM

…contributed to its spread by giving genetcially predisposed people an astronomically better shot at passing their diabetic genes down

Would the same be true for gays and artificial insemination?

Ochlan on October 11, 2007 at 8:08 PM

From the looks of him, I don’t think Al is turning down too many impulses to grab some Ben & Jerry’s, organic potato chips or artisan cheeses.

Hoodlumman on October 11, 2007 at 8:17 PM

I consider health food grilled artichokes with mayo slathered on.

bbz123 on October 11, 2007 at 8:21 PM

Here’s that NYT article, from ace ( the link is at the bottom)

bbz123 on October 11, 2007 at 8:23 PM

Would the same be true for gays and artificial insemination?

Ochlan on October 11, 2007 at 8:08 PM

Uh, I’m going to go out on a limb and answer that question seriously:

We simply don’t know for sure that there’s a genetic component to homosexuality. There are suggested links, but contrary to what some might have us believe, there is nowhere near scientific certainty on the subject. Irrespective of my own personal beliefs, it’s just not a settled question.

And by the way, Algore, scientific certainty is not the same thing as consensus.

gryphon202 on October 11, 2007 at 8:25 PM

Will it tell me about the size of a certain carbon (ahem) print during my next (ahem) movement.

Even if they did install these machines it would most likely encourage impulse purchases. Just for spite.

Kini on October 11, 2007 at 8:29 PM

What, the cart wolfs down a few Ho-Hos before you even make it to the cashier?

These days Al Bore looks like his favorite health food snack is sticks of butter dipped in lard.

ReubenJCogburn on October 11, 2007 at 8:32 PM

You can tell Gore eats whatever he wants — beef, chicken, chips, butter, ice cream. It would be hard to get that big on carrots, broccoli, and tofu. Yuck.

Qzsusy on October 11, 2007 at 8:37 PM

What a scam that would be. I wonder how much the food producers would have to pay the “programers” in order to receive a positive spin on their product. And how much is your food bill going to increase so the “programers” can keep you so well informed propagandized.

Maxx on October 11, 2007 at 8:42 PM

When Al Gore has less than a 32 inch waist and a cholesterol level lower than 119 and a triglyceride level lower than 65, then just maybe, just maybe, I will listen to his dietary advice.
Till then, stuff it Fat Albert.

MB4 on October 11, 2007 at 8:43 PM

You can tell Gore eats whatever he wants — beef, chicken pizza, Krispe Kream donuts, chips, butter, ice cream.

Qzsusy on October 11, 2007 at 8:37 PM

MB4 on October 11, 2007 at 8:48 PM

Can he get Krispy Kreme donuts on his private jet trips?

Qzsusy on October 11, 2007 at 8:54 PM

Can he get Krispy Kreme donuts on his private jet trips?

Qzsusy on October 11, 2007 at 8:54 PM

And just what do you think all those boxes in the last two rows of seats are?

MB4 on October 11, 2007 at 8:57 PM

lorien1973 on October 11, 2007 at 7:41 PM

Its the lefty way, I expect it will be law in a few years.

allrsn on October 11, 2007 at 9:07 PM

Well to deter impluse purchases,better have a taser
hooked up to the cart to remind(shock you back)you have
made a bad discision,nah somebody will figure a way to disconnect it,better yet have Al Gore foodnazis’s walk with you to insure(force you)your making the right decision.Haha.

canopfor on October 11, 2007 at 9:10 PM

Zero likelihood to the exit question, at least for the “capitalistic pigs” the Americans, and the emerging former Eastblocers are.

However, if Albert Gore doesn’t mind his eating habits, no matter his preachings to the world, he’ll end up like the ‘beautiful’, inside and out, that Hermes Phettberg is.

Not to worry about what this character says – just close your ears and pretend it’s Albert monotonously lecturing you.

Entelechy on October 11, 2007 at 9:24 PM

Entelechy on October 11, 2007 at 9:24 PM

Are you sure that’s not Ozzy?

hillbillyjim on October 11, 2007 at 10:59 PM

I’m sure hillbillyjim – this dude used to parade on Austrian and other European TV. He’s now faded away into YouTube.

Entelechy on October 11, 2007 at 11:55 PM

Exit (obvious) answer: They won’t. Grocery stores make their profit off of impulse buys; just about everything you see in the ‘specials’ ad is priced below cost, just to get people in the store. They’re willing to lose 5% on hot dogs so that you’ll buy the fancy ketchup that’s marked up by 10%. No self-respecting grocery store I know (and I work in one), or any other retailer for that matter, will ever install something that tells customers NOT to buy something.

Jezla on October 12, 2007 at 5:43 AM

Al Gore doesn’t go grocery shopping so the whole headline is moot. He eats out while in his private jet, or private limo while polluting the planet with his excessive carbon spewing lifestyle.

roninacreage on October 12, 2007 at 8:13 AM

Really Ronin – The first thing I thought was Al Gore goes shopping?

Babs on October 12, 2007 at 9:02 AM

What a stupid idea! Why don’t the food/enviro/thought police just leave people alone!?! If people want to see the nutritional info of what they’re buying, they can look at the box. As for the enviro impact, maybe Gore can land his private jet in a grocery store parking lot and give a lecture about it.

CP on October 12, 2007 at 9:46 AM

bbz123 on October 11, 2007 at 7:54 PM

Rodger that. I have never paid any attention to the food police, and I eat all of those same things, good stuff and I’m in good health. My only test for what to eat is …. do I like it.

Maxx on October 12, 2007 at 10:05 AM

Al is hardly the picture of health, but that won’t stop him from trying to tell everyone else what to eat.

eanax on October 12, 2007 at 10:48 AM

Question:

Has anyone else noticed that the people who frequent “health food” stores are some of the most UNHEALTHY-looking people around? The managers and clerks I’ve seen frequently have gray or some other weird color skin.

Personally, I’ll believe health advice only if it comes from a happy 120 year old.

landlines on October 12, 2007 at 5:03 PM