Is this the Cleveland high school shooter’s MySpace page? Update: Hoax (bumped)

posted at 1:35 pm on October 11, 2007 by Allahpundit

There’s only one blog entry and it’s conspicuously ominous, as is one of the photos. I don’t think that’s him in the photo, either; according to the Cleveland Plain-Dealer, he had “wavy brown hair.” Smells like a hoax set up yesterday afternoon, but that all depends on whether it’s possible to backdate MySpace blog posts. Anyone know if it is? If not, then I guess this was his suicide note.

Incidentally, the reader who sent this to me points to Coon’s atheism — notably the fact that he’d allegedly been beaten up at school for saying “f*** God” — as proof that a “lack of a belief in God was a contributor in yet another school shooting.” Read the Plain-Dealer article at the link I provided and you’ll see there were a lot of compelling contributing factors here, but since we’re now blaming belief systems for alienated wackos from poor, broken homes occasionally getting violent, let me say (a) on behalf of all atheists everywhere, I’m really, really sorry, and (b) the next time a practicing Christian does something violent, I’ll be sure to point it out and apportion blame appropriately.

Exit quotation: “I don’t know what I was thinking. I didn’t want him to shoot me.”

Update: Looks like you can indeed backdate MySpace posts. The page is a fake.

Comments

Anyone know if it is?

Yes, it is.

Oh, please. The VTech shooter thought he was acting as Jesus.

amerpundit on October 11, 2007 at 9:28 AM

Forgot to mention, I don’t think its a hoax blog. Check out the comments from his friends whose pictures are about his age.

“you @sshole. i hope you burn in hell for what you did.

to all other conteplating what he did:
see a f*cking psychiatrist, you idiots!!
dont go around killing others.

actually he onky killed himself. he did shoot 4 though and my thoughts go out to them. but what the f*ck is wrong with ppl these days

That’s just two of many.

amerpundit on October 11, 2007 at 9:31 AM

This happened really close to my office – in fact, my bosses were across the street from the school attending a meeting with one of our clients – not more than an hour before it all went down. Later that day I found out that the building they were in was on lockdown for a couple of hours while the police were dealing with the situation. Small world.

Thank God none of the victims were killed.

Dork B. on October 11, 2007 at 9:38 AM

So Rasheem Smith is such a dumbass that he watches a kid load a gun in the bathroom and then goes to lunch like nothing happened instead of telling a teacher. He should be horsewhipped.

roux on October 11, 2007 at 9:47 AM

I don’t think it is real. There are no comments that go back past the 9th. And it seems like most of them were “Thanks for the add” or “thanks for the request. do I know you?”

Why would a nihlist suicidal kid create a myspace and start sending random people he didn’t know friend requests the day before he shot up his high school and killed himself?

krabbas on October 11, 2007 at 9:48 AM

If you look at the comments section, there are people thanking him for their addition to his friends list as recently as this morning. However, his last login was 10/9. And there are a few young-ish people who’ve posted “RIP” messages indicating they know this kid. So, I really don’t know.

flyawaybird on October 11, 2007 at 9:51 AM

Backdate MySpace blog posts? Not from the users end.

When Smith saw Coon load a gun, he left but didn’t tell a teacher.
“I don’t know what I was thinking, he said. “I didn’t want him to shoot me.”

Our children are taught to be sheeple for slaughter, apparently.

I’ll start my broken record again: This is another in a long, seemingly never ending, almost predictably re-occurring series of bloody tragedies that plague government schools. Yet, we the people, keep shuffling our most prized progeny into these ‘russian roulette’ centers of random violence.

If this horrible pattern of bloody murder were to occur at a church, youth organization, or private school there would be such a leftist-utopian scream of condemnation and cry for retribution that would have any administrator, supporter, or financier associated with such private enterprise tarred, feathered and banished to the darkest margins of society, if not imprisoned.

Yet, we the people, bow down before the alter of the NEA & tax funded ‘public’ education that includes all, offends none, accepts everything, and only occasionally murders our children, because we are a compassionate, open minded, and ‘enlightened’ society.

Open yer wallets and place your bets, parents……

locomotivebreath1901 on October 11, 2007 at 9:51 AM

krabbas on October 11, 2007 at 9:48 AM

His front page doesn’t, but the blog post has plenty of comments from people who apparently knew him referring to the shooting and him in “hell”.

amerpundit on October 11, 2007 at 9:56 AM

Yeah, you cannot backdate anything on MySpace.

Users don’t have access to the backend like you would on a WP or MT type blog — you would be able to backdate a blog post in WP, for instance, but MySpace doesn’t allow for that.

chrisro on October 11, 2007 at 9:57 AM

Rasheem Smith made sure he wasn’t a victim. Too bad he didn’t give a crap about anyone but himself!

Tattoo a L on this losers forhead!

Bicyea on October 11, 2007 at 10:00 AM

Yeah, you cannot backdate anything on MySpace.

chrisro on October 11, 2007 at 9:57 AM

Are we talking about blog entries? Because I’ve been able to select the post date, including dates in the past.

amerpundit on October 11, 2007 at 10:04 AM

From the blog comments:

In my opinion, a person with enough anger to go and shoot people would shoot as many as they could, and four people means that I don’t think he was shooting from anger. He was trying to get attention, and then couldn’t handle it.
It’s like premature ejaculation.
You angry at the world and want to kill people? You do it V-Tech style.
You a sad little emo kid and want attention? This is what you do. =/

Now everyone will remember him as “some dumb emo kid”. lmao

What the hell is wrong with some people?

nailinmyeye on October 11, 2007 at 10:07 AM

amerpundit on October 11, 2007 at 9:56 AM

You don’t have to be a “friend” to make a comment on a blog. So alot of those comments may have been people searching for the kid’s name and finding a place to vent their feelings. I didn’t read all the comments, but the first few didn’t give me the impression that they knew him… I could be wrong though.

krabbas on October 11, 2007 at 10:07 AM

Fake.

Stankleberry on October 11, 2007 at 10:09 AM

Yes and as a devout atheist let me say I am so gratefull that the muslim’s faith in god prevents them from performing psychotic acts of brutal violence. Imagine what a world it would be if they did things like…

Thank Science they don’t!

ronsfi on October 11, 2007 at 10:11 AM

You can most certainly backdate blog posts. There’s a date and time selector in the top of the blog entry site. I could write a blog today and date it 03 Sep 06 if I wanted to.

LindsayK on October 11, 2007 at 10:12 AM

Perhaps we should share his list of 125 friends with everyone we know, so they can have an eye kept on them. Many of the look like they were grown in the same emo lab.

Some names:
ALan Damien
necrotickiss
Blackrose
Omaha (Her name isn’t much, but her blog looks like the next meltdown.)
Jesus Satan

Sensei Ern on October 11, 2007 at 10:13 AM

First, Goths and Devil worshipers are not the same as atheists.

AP, on behalf of all people of faith I’m realy, realy sorry that some fool insinuated that this is your fault via email.

12thman on October 11, 2007 at 10:16 AM

so they can have an eye kept on them.
Sensei Ern on October 11, 2007 at 10:13 AM

Twirl your mustache when you say that.

ronsfi on October 11, 2007 at 10:29 AM

How to respond to thoughtless violence? Demand the right to shoot back.
Your welcome.

Go Tribe!

Buck Turgidson on October 11, 2007 at 10:46 AM

When Smith saw Coon load a gun, he left but didn’t tell a teacher.

Way to step up and help your fellow man Bro.

Caring about others is just sooo last century.

infidel4life on October 11, 2007 at 11:09 AM

Is it possible to spell your own hometown wrong? (Cleaveland?)

Tanya on October 11, 2007 at 11:17 AM

This has nothing to do with Atheism, and anyone to suggest it does is a moron. There have been a full spectrum of beliefs that have committed these attacks.

That said, people should note, it is common for people to load up their weapons before they begin shooting, I can think of two school shootings off the top of my head where they loaded their weapons in the restrooms, which means students should be taught to watch for this, and make damn well sure they alert security or the admins, I can’t believe this was seen and not reported. This isn’t like when someone says they’ll do it, this is actually seeing someone prep for it.

Bad Candy on October 11, 2007 at 11:30 AM

That’s just two of many.

amerpundit on October 11, 2007 at 9:31 AM

Yes, but I don’t think those people actually knew him. He has 214 friends right now, but all of those recently became his friends.

None of the messages say anything personal. None of them say anything that wasn’t seen on the news.

First, Goths and Devil worshipers are not the same as atheists.

AP, on behalf of all people of faith I’m really, really sorry that some fool insinuated that this is your fault via email.

12thman on October 11, 2007 at 10:16 AM

I am as well, and that’s a good point. It sounds like he was just a depressed emo/goth kid. Not believing in God or an afterlife might have contributed to his decision to kill himself and others, but there’s no reason to believe that he wouldn’t have taken Cho’s path if he had believed in God.

Esthier on October 11, 2007 at 12:11 PM

Where’s all the clamor panning death metal, goth, black metal, goth, etc as “crap” and/or “dangerous.”

These are some of the fastest growing musical genres. You have classic greats like Deicide and Cannibal Corpse, singing songs about necropedophilia and killing Jesus.

But this tragedy will somehow be tied to rap music. It’s inevitable.

Why shouldn’t we consider this kid’s atheism, if he indeed was an atheist, as a factor in his actions?

The Race Card on October 11, 2007 at 12:16 PM

the link is broken… says page has been removed

Kaptain Amerika on October 11, 2007 at 1:18 PM

how could you be an atheist if you said “F*** God?” that would be admitting to his existence to say F him… something has to exist to turn you back on it…

Kaptain Amerika on October 11, 2007 at 1:21 PM

But this tragedy will somehow be tied to rap music. It’s inevitable.

I doubt it. This scene is a refuge for angst-ridden white kids. It’s pantomime…faustian theater…pulp thriller.

It is not an indoctrination vehicle for misogyny and organized crime.

Ochlan on October 11, 2007 at 1:25 PM

Ochlan on October 11, 2007 at 1:25 PM

I know how violent and depraved rap can be. There are thousands of verses touting wanton murder and mayhem. But you cannot tell me that bands like Cannibal Corpse are any better. Even groups like Pantera and Slayer are seen as fuel for the wayward angry youth. The only difference is that rap lyrics are more discernable…at times. With lyrics about raping, killing, skinning and eating your friends/family who needs rap?

My point here is not to diminish this tragedy. Rather I am highlighting how important music has become to personal identity, and how problematic that can be for anyone who looks to entertainers for spiritual or lifestyle guidance. The hippies still haven’t recovered.

The Race Card on October 11, 2007 at 1:48 PM

Has Jack Thompson blamed video games yet? Has anyone blamed Marilyn Manson?

The Race Card on October 11, 2007 at 12:16 PM

Of course we should consider it, and we have, but when you compare it to other shootings, it shows its highly unlikely that it played a factor.

I would also caution against blaming this on goth culture, that’s not necessarily an indicator either, it may indicate being ostracized, which is an indicator, but other than that, I’d read nothing into that.

Bad Candy on October 11, 2007 at 1:50 PM

OT…

Ann Coulter, call your office. “MASTERMIND OF FIRST TWIN TOWERS ATTACK CLAIMS HE HAS CONVERTED TO CHRISTIANITY… DEVELOPING…”, at Drudge…

…but the link goes to a page about Bruce Springsteen’s whining and uninformed ideas about “unpatriotic” behavior (such as “illegal wiretapping”).

DaveS on October 11, 2007 at 2:08 PM

To be clear goth, emo, death metal, black metal, etc are all different genres. Despite their shared morbidity, I do not wish to misrepresent any fans of these great musical forms.

That being said, music doesn’t make you kill, nor does religion. Killing is a personal act, like scratching one’s scrotum. Sure you felt an itch, but you had to decide to stick your hand down there to scratch it.

Also, I think we can draw an obvious link between aspiration and killing. Notice how none of our favorite rampage killers were all reportedly oxygen-breathers. Oh the horror.

The Race Card on October 11, 2007 at 2:20 PM

Asa Coon was too stupid and too much of a loser to have a MySpace page. Not even Tom wanted to be his friend.

BelchSpeak on October 11, 2007 at 2:25 PM

I’m not right about too many things, but it looks like I was spot on here.

krabbas on October 11, 2007 at 2:35 PM

MySpace must have deleted the account. (Invalid User Id)

kiakjones on October 11, 2007 at 2:42 PM

“Coon removed his slacks and a red and gray hooded sweatshirt and put on black jeans and Marilyn Manson concert T-shirt, Smith said.”

“When Smith saw Coon load a gun, he left but didn’t tell a teacher.”

“Fifteen minutes later, Smith was eating lunch in the cafeteria”

In the comments section at the cleveland.com link from where this quote came from, the comments in defense of Smith seem to revolve around him being a 15 yr old helpless black “child”, “children” don’t trust adults, you don’t know unless you’ve been an inner-city “child”, and other nonsense.

I don’t think a 15 yr old doesn’t have the mental capacity/instinct/morals to at least want to save people (or at least save himself). Smith just went back to lunch? What?????

nottakingsides on October 11, 2007 at 3:07 PM

Smith just went back to lunch? What?????

criminal…

Kaptain Amerika on October 11, 2007 at 4:13 PM

I was discussing this with my mother today and she had the idea for a $1,000.00 or $10,000.00 reward for information leading to the foiling of a school shooting.

Kaptain Amerika on October 11, 2007 at 4:14 PM

The point isn’t to blame atheists and no one is looking for an apology. It was to point out the connection, given that one of the Columbine shooters was wearing a “Natural Selection” shirt. It’s also worth noting that if he did believe in God, don’t you think he’d be a little more concerned about the repercussions of randomly shooting people and himself?

It’s not an indictment of atheism, it’s just odd that school shooters and mad mass murdering regimes through the ages tend to have roots with lacks of belief in God and/or social Darwinism, while “the religious” are constantly attacked for being the causes of war. The leftist atheists blame the current war on terror on “religion”, rather than Islam, because that’s how they’ve been brainwashed.

So this not against “atheists” at all, it’s just pointing out how “religion” is constantly attacked for war and death, when the opposite couldn’t be more true. How often do we hear “bombing of abortion clinics” used as a scare tactic and an attack on “fundamentalist” Christians? Compare the death count of those rare incidents to school shootings by nonbelievers.

Update: Looks like you can indeed backdate MySpace posts. The page is a fake.

As for that, I don’t really get it… I just saw Shep (barf) report this too… however I don’t see anyone showing that they can back date posts. The date was obviously the only reason to believe that it was him. Weird. I have trouble just accepting the word of a “Utah teen” who claims to have created it, especially given the media’s ability to fact check lately. If back dating is possible, I suppose it was him… but I’ll hold off on buying it at this point.

RightWinged on October 11, 2007 at 7:40 PM