Coulter: Jews will be “perfected” when they become Christians

posted at 2:53 pm on October 11, 2007 by Allahpundit

I’m only linking this because we haven’t had a good Coulter throwdown in the comments lately, and plus it gives me a chance to link Omri Ceren’s eloquent diagnosis of the left’s bed-wetting over it. Breaking news: Christians believe all people ideally should be Christians.

COULTER: Well, OK, take the Republican National Convention. People were happy. They’re Christian. They’re tolerant. They defend America, they —

DEUTSCH: Christian — so we should be Christian? It would be better if we were all Christian?

COULTER: Yes.

DEUTSCH: We should all be Christian?

COULTER: Yes. Would you like to come to church with me, Donny?…

COULTER: No, we think — we just want Jews to be perfected, as they say.

DEUTSCH: Wow, you didn’t really say that, did you?

COULTER: Yes. That is what Christianity is. We believe the Old Testament, but ours is more like Federal Express. You have to obey laws. We know we’re all sinners —

DEUTSCH: In my old days, I would have argued — when you say something absurd like that, there’s no —

COULTER: What’s absurd?

DEUTSCH: Jews are going to be perfected. I’m going to go off and try to perfect myself —

COULTER: Well, that’s what the New Testament says.

You all would know better than I but that is, basically, what the New Testament says, isn’t it? She’s not talking about forcible conversion; she’s saying Christians believe the Judeo-Christian tradition is The Way and those who don’t follow the path all the way to the end aren’t quite where they need to be. (There are even Catholic prayers to this effect.) The word “perfected” is dicey insofar as it implies Christians’ superiority to Jews but she’s only referring to doctrinal superiority as far as I can see, which isn’t exactly a bombshell assertion coming from a Christian. Does the left really mean to suggest she thinks it’s Jews, uniquely, who need to be perfected but Muslims, Buddhists, atheists, etc. are all already co-equal with Christians spiritually? I take it she’d say we’re not even on the path at all and thus, unlike Jews, for the moment entirely unperfectable.

Well, no matter. The left’s tolerance brigades see their opportunity and they’re going to take it.

Exit question assurance to our Jewish readers: We atheists love you just the way you are, baby.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 8

I became disenchanted with this woman a while back.

amerpundit on October 11, 2007 at 3:34 PM

I don’t see anything wrong with what she said. It is a free country right? She is just stating her beliefs which are repeated in thousands of churches across America ever Sunday. It may not be PC but Ann doesn’t care.

Complete7 on October 11, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Are the words toxic because of who said them or because of what was said?

geckomon on October 11, 2007 at 3:27 PM

Your question is missing the mark.

What she said is toxic because of what she said and who the object was.

If she had said disparaging comments about atheists being flawed and inferior, then there wouldn’t be any such outcry. Is there an ADL (Atheist Defense League) to correspond to the ADL (Anti-Defamation League)? Let’s face it: our culture is sensitive about the plight of Jewish people. That is, unless you’re “progressive”, in which case hating Jewish people is in vogue and calls for hip-hop hand gesturing.

Loundry on October 11, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Defector01 on October 11, 2007 at 3:29 PM

You would not even hear a Muslim say what Ann said because there is nothing contextually connecting the two (Judaism and Islam)to what she was speaking about. What Ann said about Jews and Christianity is not inflammatory in which there was nothing derogatory or defaming in her words.

geckomon on October 11, 2007 at 3:35 PM

There’s a fine line between saying she annoys you and saying she should shut up because she annoys you.

bj1126 on October 11, 2007 at 3:26 PM

Awesome, I’m gonna decribe goatse and tubgirl in great detail next time I’m at a restaurant or mass, since we’re no longer allowed to tell people to shut up when they are annoying us.

Bad Candy on October 11, 2007 at 3:35 PM

We Christians are “perfected” Jews in a manner of speaking. Nothing Ann said in context is wrong – just outrageous!
And note that she is also giving “Donny” Deutsch – a good Jewish boy I’m sure – a rhetorical slice and dice. Beautifully done.
Coulter is an American treasure who is underestimated by both the left and disappointingly, by some on the right.
Randy

williars on October 11, 2007 at 3:36 PM

Oh, there’s just so much here! First, Dorian — well said. I am tempted to guarantee that Donnie Douche is not a practicing Jew and that his self-identification as “a Jew” is irrelevant to any discussion of theology. If I am wrong on that, I apologize.

Breaking news: Christians believe all people ideally should be Christians.

Allah

As so often, there is really very little left to chew on once AP has posted. He has the whole issue wrapped up, and I couldn’t agree more. Maybe this is one of the reasons atheists hate Christians, but this is the theology. It is written that Christ is the way, the truth and the light, and that no one can achieve everlasting life but through belief in Him.

I’m shocked to see people piling on here. No defenders of Coulter?

Allahpundit on October 11, 2007 at 3:00 PM

Really no need to defend. You said it all, and your defense was airtight. She is merely repeating 2,000 years of Christian (have it your way, ELF — Jewish Believer) theology.

Anyone that can’t stomach this most basic truth needs to take it up with the Holy Spirit, and while you’re having that discussion, say hi to Saul…er, Paul.

Jaibones on October 11, 2007 at 3:36 PM

My rabbi would be so proud of me :-D
And hey this is at least a fun debate. Beats the crap out of my liberal criminal procedure professor whose blathering on and on

Defector01 on October 11, 2007 at 3:31 PM

With good reason. Personally I look at Jew’s as a big brother. Older and wiser, just not always right. But always worth asking of their advice. Thats obviously a generalization, but I think you get my drift.

doriangrey on October 11, 2007 at 3:36 PM

I don’t have a problem with what she said. She may be referring to this passage from the New Testament…

I Corinthians 13:9-10 — For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears.

CP on October 11, 2007 at 3:37 PM

Exit assurance to our Jewish readers: We atheists love you just the way you are, baby.

Hear hear. I definitely have a thing for Jewish girls, they’re practically atheists as it is since Judaism is iffy on the afterlife.

Plus, unlike Christian girls, they put out.

Enrique on October 11, 2007 at 3:37 PM

geckomon

In a sense true but by the same token their general response for crap like this is either to be a muslim or die. Even though they hate to admit it, their faith takes a ton from Judaism. But even though there’s nothing the same to tie islam and judaism as judaism to christianity, I’d let the former roll off my back and in part at least because those sort of Muslims don’t want any contact with me nor likewise.

Defector01 on October 11, 2007 at 3:37 PM

Pelosi and Reid are politicians. They seem to be really good at it. Aren’t you angry with them?

Bradky on October 11, 2007 at 3:23 PM

Brad, what are they good at?

Entelechy on October 11, 2007 at 3:37 PM

Complete7 on October 11, 2007 at 3:34 PM

I think Jesus Christ is a myth.

I don’t see anything wrong with what I just wrote. It is a free country right? I am just stating a thought which is repeated in thousands of non-Christian households across America on any given day. It may not be PC on a conservative website but I don’t care.

It cuts both ways, doesn’t it?

Loundry on October 11, 2007 at 3:38 PM

I’m not offended at all. This is just Ann, I wish more folks would just say what they mean.

TallTim on October 11, 2007 at 3:38 PM

doriangrey

I’ll be sure to tell your Jewish friend that its his big brother duty to give you a noogie LOL

Defector01 on October 11, 2007 at 3:39 PM

OK, two things here:

One, at least from reading the transcript, it appears that the phrase “perfect the Jews” was said as though it was an old saying of some sort, although one I’m not familiar with? I do recall in my childhood growing up in Redneck NE MO people stating some theory or another that Jesus will return once we have converted all Jews, or some such nonsense, so I thought it may be related to that.

Secondly, the biggest problem that Ann Coulter brings to herself is the illustrations she uses to make a point, I.E., the Jersey Girls flap. And today we see that point in full play with the Frost family: Dems bring out some ‘human face’ with Absolute Moral Authority on whatever subject they are attempting to cloud, and anyone who questions the accuracy of those statements, let alone the motivation behind making them, is immediately labeled as “attacking,” “Smearing,” etc etc, and how can you hate children so much? I know she brings it on herself, but she’s just not as good as Rush at Using Absurdity to Illustrate the Absurd.

JamesLee on October 11, 2007 at 3:39 PM

Why anyone even bothers to listen to a word she says is beyond me.

terryannonline on October 11, 2007 at 3:06 PM

Atheist, Terry? Or just a “Christian” who lacks any belief in the Bible or any of the mainline Christian theologies?

Jaibones on October 11, 2007 at 3:39 PM

Hel, I will defend her
Some people just YEARN for a reason to be upset.
If Coulter had said “Athiest” instead of Jews, would any of you care?

But she said Jews, so people are all set to be indignant.
Beleive it or not, the bible does say that the only way to heaven is through Jesus Christ. So, according to the bible, anyone who does not accept Christ as their savior is doomed to hell. IE, Athiest, Muslims, Jews et al.
Now I know in this all so tolerant and PC country that we live in people want to say “yoyur belief suystem is just as good as mine” and thats all well and good. but in reality when your book states in black and white that the only way to salvation is through Christs sacrifice well.. their is not much wiggle room for tolerance. In this case, tolerance means that you accept that everyone has a choice to beleive the truth, or to burn for eternity.

With all this in mind, is what she said such a shoker? Should the Christians here be upset? Should the Jews? I would think not. We all have the right to believe what we want, even if it is not true.

With that said, here is a sometimes humorous cartoon about Jesus and Mohamad. WARNING this strip may be offensive to Christians and Muslims. To be honest I think he wants a fatah against him.

Wyrd on October 11, 2007 at 3:40 PM

It cuts both ways, doesn’t it?

Sure, and that doesn’t both me. Freedom is freedom

Spirit of 1776 on October 11, 2007 at 3:40 PM

The Race Card on October 11, 2007 at 3:25 PM

Heh. Nice…

Jaibones on October 11, 2007 at 3:40 PM

Brad, what are they good at?

Entelechy on October 11, 2007 at 3:37 PM

Entelechy,

At being politicians. I was being a little sarcastic at Dorian’s opinion that people shouldn’t be mad at Ann since it is her vocation.
This thread has a little different tone in comparison to the comments Reid made.

Bradky on October 11, 2007 at 3:41 PM

Defector01 on October 11, 2007 at 3:39 PM

Oh he does…

doriangrey on October 11, 2007 at 3:42 PM

geckomon on October 11, 2007 at 3:35 PM

She implied that Jews are imperfect and thus inferior (and also foolish because they *choose* to be that way) to Christians. I understand that’s not inflammatory nor derogatory nor defaming to you because her words put you in the proud, superior position.

Does it feel good to be better off than the Jews? Be honest.

Loundry on October 11, 2007 at 3:42 PM

Loundry on October 11, 2007 at 3:34 PM

What was disparaging? This is not a case for the ADL because she did not say or suggest or remark anything anti-semitic. Turn off the auto-pilot.

geckomon on October 11, 2007 at 3:42 PM

Does it feel good to be better off than the Jews? Be honest.

Loundry on October 11, 2007 at 3:42 PM

That is inflammatory!

geckomon on October 11, 2007 at 3:43 PM

Bradky on October 11, 2007 at 3:41 PM

Not by me. I’m consistent. That demand for apology thing is tiresome in my view. You have the freedom to say whatever you like, and I have the freedom to measure it. I also have the freedom not to be offended.

Spirit of 1776 on October 11, 2007 at 3:43 PM

Brad, I disagree with you, on both of them. They ended up with the posts for other reasons. I can think of many others who are better politicians, and definitely more charming, interesting and capable ones. However, I don’t want to derail the thread and get in trouble for o/t. We can discuss later. Got your point. Regards,

Entelechy on October 11, 2007 at 3:44 PM

Oh God, here we go again, conservatives betraying that they’re as clueless as those they feign to be against.

No, I’m not talking about Coulter, I’m talking about you on this list who think she has said anything not found blatantly written in the New Testament, most specifically by St. Paul.

It’d be one thing if you were acknowledging that, yes, she was being consistently Christian and that you thus don’t agree with it, because you’re not Christian. But to say that she does not understanding her religion?

Good grief.

Drum on October 11, 2007 at 3:44 PM

Spirit of 1776 on October 11, 2007 at 3:43 PM

As a wise ol country lawyer once said “if the shoes don’t fit why just leave em at the door”

Bradky on October 11, 2007 at 3:44 PM

If Coulter had said “Athiest” instead of Jews, would any of you care?
Wyrd on October 11, 2007 at 3:40 PM

I for one would. I’m not an evangelical. I believe that God and you is a personal matter. I don’t care what you believe. You are responsible. You will have to speak up when questioned. This is not a multiple choice question (imo). It is all about the essay.

Limerick on October 11, 2007 at 3:45 PM

Geez, when did the New Testament become so controversial?

I blame Ramzi Yousef.

TallDave on October 11, 2007 at 3:45 PM

Loundry on October 11, 2007 at 3:42 PM

Maybe the problem you have is that it made you feel inferior. Stop letting others make you feel this way.

Oh look, we went from discussing a topic to expressing how we feel again. Want a hug?

geckomon on October 11, 2007 at 3:46 PM

Entelechy on October 11, 2007 at 3:44 PM

Entelechy,
Fair enough. Have a good day.

Regards,

Bradky on October 11, 2007 at 3:46 PM

That is inflammatory!

geckomon on October 11, 2007 at 3:43 PM

It’s a simple yes or no question.

Does it feel good to be better off than the Jews? Don’t hold back!

Loundry on October 11, 2007 at 3:46 PM

All she meant “if Ramzi Yousef could do it, why not the Jews?” /sarc (sorry, but I found it necessary to add the sarc)

Entelechy on October 11, 2007 at 3:47 PM

I like Ann. I’d love to go out to a long dinner with her. I’m not offended by what she said. Read the whole interview–Deutsch kept begging and encouraging her to say something controversial. She initially told him something like being a Christian would be better than a non-practicing Jew. Started out as a secular vs. religious comment. Progressed to the perfected Christian thing. What’s so evil about that? I don’t buy it, but then I don’t have to.
I didn’t notice any dagger or scimitar. Deutsch’s head is still attached. And I don’t think I’m going to have to go into hiding for saying this. Some perspective please. Ann is funny.

JiangxiDad on October 11, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Bradky on October 11, 2007 at 3:44 PM

You are going to have to help me with that.

If that means what I think it means, I like the marketplace of ideas. Put your idea out there and let me hear it. I think Reid is an intellectual simpleton, but I don’t need to get offended at it, I just don’t buy his ideas. Same with Coulter, doesn’t bother me for her to say what she says, I don’t have to buy it and I don’t have to be offended.

Spirit of 1776 on October 11, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Defector01 on October 11, 2007 at 3:31 PM

My liberal criminal procedure professor used to say moveon.org when she dismissed us every day. Not amusing.

hollygolightly on October 11, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Oh, and Jews are free to express their belief that Christ was not the Messiah.

Jesus himself, of course, predicted all this. Part of the consequence of belonging to a faith built around forgiveness is that everyone feels free to attack you, knowing you’ll turn the other cheek rather than, say, strapping on a suicide vest.

TallDave on October 11, 2007 at 3:49 PM

It’s a simple yes or no question.

Does it feel good to be better off than the Jews? Don’t hold back!

Loundry on October 11, 2007 at 3:46 PM

Are you implying that being Jewish means you’re lacking? TOXIC!

geckomon on October 11, 2007 at 3:49 PM

CP! right there with ya.

Brian on October 11, 2007 at 3:50 PM

She implied that Jews are imperfect and thus inferior …

Loundry on October 11, 2007 at 3:42 PM

You — and just about everyone else on this thread except Allah, ironically — seem profoundly ignorant of the most basic Christian theology, which Ann correctly stated despite her clunky word choice: Christians are all imperfect, and sinful. The human condition guarantees that it is so.

Either everyone commenting is non-Christian, or we have a lot of people who haven’t the guts to stand up for their beliefs. I wonder which it is? Early Christians often faced the challenge of declaring their belief in Christ at the cost of their head, as do many Christians who live under the slavery of the Pigs of Islam.

That some are too embarrassed to declare Him to be the Son of God here on a web site in America is disappointing. But maybe the Christians are not commenting yet.

I’m with Ann on this, as usual.

Jaibones on October 11, 2007 at 3:50 PM

Spirit of 1776 on October 11, 2007 at 3:48 PM

We are on the same page. Manufactured outrage gets old quickly. And I couldn’t resist getting a little Fred needle in the thread.

Bradky on October 11, 2007 at 3:50 PM

TallTim on October 11, 2007 at 3:38 PM

I agree. I think Christianity is stupid, and you should abandon it immediately because it’s a crappy way to live. I mean it.

Loundry on October 11, 2007 at 3:51 PM

There are far too many passages in the New Testament for me to quote them. So, if you’re interested in what Coulter was talking about, please see the following:

Acts 3:22-23;
Acts 13:46
Romans 9:32-33;
Romans 10;
Romans 11; and,
Galatians 3.

There are more passages, but this should help.

OhEssYouCowboys on October 11, 2007 at 3:51 PM

I think someone should ask Debbie Schlussel for a comment.

AprilOrit on October 11, 2007 at 3:26 PM

I was going to stay out of it but since you asked and since it’s become an undue reason for people to ragefully attack Ann, I basically agree with Omri Ceren and AP. I think it’s a lot of hype in order to try to play gotcha with Ann. I know Ann personally and like her, and I don’t think she has an anti-Semitic bone in her body. If anything, she is one of the most philo-Semitic gentiles I know, and her columns–constant attacks on the modern day enemies of the Jewish people and defenses of Israel and America–are strong evidence of that.

If she is not bothered that I think that as a Jew, I’m one of the Chosen People, I certainly can’t be bothered in the least that she thinks that Jews must be perfected to Christianity. I think the fact that far too many of my fellow co-religionists have substituted unabated liberalism for Judaism is what gives so many a platform for questioning us, though I don’t believe that is what Ann was doing here.

And for the record, I believe Donny Deutch was lying. I believe most religious Jews would not characterize him as a “religious” Jew, as he claimed. And I enjoyed Ann needling him on that, since he needled her.

Perhaps, she shouldn’t have used the word “perfected” if only because it was a perfect word for liberals to twist and use.

Debbie Schlussel on October 11, 2007 at 3:51 PM

Ann Coulter stated the truth, as Christians see it. Christians believe that Jews who did not follow Christ (in fact Jews handed Jesus over to you know who… – Jus’ sayin’) chose the wrong path. It’s amusing to see Deutsch’s outrage, when many Jews insult Christians at every opportunity and its under the cover of humor. Big deal.

Deutsch needs to get a backbone. What a whiner!

sinsing on October 11, 2007 at 3:52 PM

Bradky on October 11, 2007 at 3:50 PM

Yes, very quickly. Have yourself a peaceful afternoon:)

Spirit of 1776 on October 11, 2007 at 3:52 PM

The fact that Deutsch doesn’t know the basic tenets of Christianity is the real scandal here. Not that the libs will care.

Iblis on October 11, 2007 at 3:53 PM

I swear to God, Coulter is the Lenny Bruce of the 21st century! She could now (and kind of has with her new book) make a living simply by reading the moronic reactions to what she says (and doesn’t say). Lenny’s act eventually got to the point where all he’d do was get up and read from the court transcripts of his morals trial.

This is hysterical.

If she and Rush toured together, the video of the protests coming from both sides would provide hours of entertainment.

Drum on October 11, 2007 at 3:53 PM

PS Why have we not heard a theological response from any of our Jewish commenters? Don’t we have any?

Jaibones on October 11, 2007 at 3:53 PM

I prefer to see it as “on-the-way-to-becoming perfected”, which should not imply superiority at all, IMO. Only that the path to perfection has been made clear to the believer, and that he/she has made the choice to walk that path. Unfortunately there are way too many Christians that seem to assume an attitude of superiority, rather than one of humility and thankfulness for having been so incredibly blessed.

infidel4life on October 11, 2007 at 3:54 PM

Debbie Schlussel on October 11, 2007 at 3:51 PM

Nicely done, Debbie.

Jaibones on October 11, 2007 at 3:54 PM

I don’t know if she’s anti-semetic but I think there are some problemtic issues with her statements

1. She’s a conservative shock job
2. She’s a very religious christian who decided to state a tenant in as unpolitically correct way possible
3. She knows anything remotely offensive will be taken as offensive
4. She knows that #3 will usually lead to increased sale of books

Defector01 on October 11, 2007 at 3:55 PM

I exhort you to search back in this thread for “Loundry” and find my comment about squaring Ann’s comments with Christian theology. I am an ex-Christian and am *very* familiar with your (bad) theology.

They’re chicken, and understandibly so: the plight of the Jewish people is part of American culture. Furthermore, Christianity is also part of American culture. So what happens when the two collide in such a way that says, “Jews are stupid for rejecting Christ”? Discomfort and silence.

Do you think Jews are stupid for rejecting Christ? (Yes/No)

I’m with Ann on this, as usual.

Jaibones on October 11, 2007 at 3:50 PM

How does it feel to be better off than the Jews?

Loundry on October 11, 2007 at 3:55 PM

You can always tell when Ann has a new book to sell. That said, my own personal belief would be that Jesus would care less for labels and more for direct personal action in adhering to Gods laws. I believe that what God considers you is far more important than which particular group you proclaim to belong to.

Which isn’t to say that what Ann says cannot be backed up by New Testament writings, because it can.

Defense Guy on October 11, 2007 at 3:55 PM

Debbie Schlussel on October 11, 2007 at 3:51 PM

Wow! I’m very impressed with your answer. I will tip my hat and retract my presumption.

Spirit of 1776 on October 11, 2007 at 3:56 PM

Enrique: “Hear hear. I definitely have a thing for Jewish girls…”

Then you’d like this video:

I especially like the last girl. It’s the last thing some unluck Palestinian thug is ever gonna see.

georgej on October 11, 2007 at 3:56 PM

Defector01 on October 11, 2007 at 3:55 PM

Hear, hear!

Limerick on October 11, 2007 at 3:56 PM

Debbie Schlussel on October 11, 2007 at 3:51 PM

I appreciate your take on this. Thanks.

nailinmyeye on October 11, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Jaibones on October 11, 2007 at 3:53 PM

Ditto. Enough of this automatic outrage. Interject someting more meaningful (Debbie Schlussel on October 11, 2007 at 3:51 PM) rather than the usual anti-Ann blather.

geckomon on October 11, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Sorry to be late on this topic but I’ve been working and all.

Coulter is correct, but the point isn’t about anything other than HUMAN BEINGS, not Jews, or Muslims, or any other faith.

Christ died for EVERYBODY. Why did he die? Because Adam introduced sin into God’s Creation for EVERYBODY. Christ’s sacrifice was PAYMENT FOR THE SIN OF ADAM.

So when she says ‘perfected’, it means in the Biblical sense. The Redemption of the New Testament is a fulfillment of God’s Covenant with mankind.

No Christian believes it is our job to forcibly covert anyone. God is powerful enough to do whatever he needs to do for HIS WILL to be done without having imperfect people jumping in the mix. It isn’t a ‘superiority’ thing. It does say in the Bible that Jesus is GOD’S GIFT TO EVERYONE. And all anyone has to do is accept it for SALVATION.

That doesn’t mean that life will be perfect and you will have no problems. That also doesn’t mean that we mere sinner people have to DO anything to other people to ensure that they are ‘perfected’. Jesus did it all. He said ‘It is finished’ on the cross. He didn’t say ‘it’s your turn’.

It is our job as Christians to explain what Christ did, and why He did it. Then it is up to the Holy Spirit to do His work through people.

So yes, Ann is correct. But I know she just uses controversy to sell her book by the language that she uses. It’s pretty funny if you know what she’s doing really.

ThackerAgency on October 11, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Loundry on October 11, 2007 at 3:55 PM

Race-baiting a hobby? (a simple yes or no)

geckomon on October 11, 2007 at 4:00 PM

Actually, she is 100% correct and you sissy boy “christians” that want to be liked by the left are left with nothing to hang on to! Sorry!

sabbott on October 11, 2007 at 4:00 PM

Read the Book of Romans, Ann. Jews are the chosen people and once God gives his favor, he doesn’t take it back. So as long as we live by the Ten Commandments, we don’t have to accept JC to enter the kingdom of heaven. Can’t get more perfect than that.

BrunoMitchell on October 11, 2007 at 3:11 PM

Doesn’t Jesus also say, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.”?

submarine_guy on October 11, 2007 at 4:01 PM

How can you be bothered by that because that’s what it says in the Bible? Again, judgement is God’s call. The Jewish people ARE God’s chosen people. The Old Testament is the story of the Jewish people. The New Testament is all about Christ who I believe to be the Messiah from the Old Testament.

ThackerAgency on October 11, 2007 at 4:01 PM

The thing that is strange to me is a how a statement becomes controversial just because Coulter says it. Here, Coulter just says a basic premise of Christianity that everyone including Jews should become Christian and people freak out.

She even gets denounced here on Hotair for committing some thought crime or another. Yet, I’m gay atheist who is concerned about the environment and I wouldn’t even give this statement by her a second thought. It not simply because I enjoy reading her, because she has so many good ideas. It’s also because I get a big kick out of the idiots who freak out because she makes a perfectly innocent statement like this one. I would like to make some additionally innocent statements and perhaps provoke the idiots into heart attacks. On the other hand, I would like to extend an invitation to the idiots to respond intellectually to statements you disagree with. Everything will go much better.

thuja on October 11, 2007 at 4:01 PM

sabbott on October 11, 2007 at 4:00 PM

Pffffffffffttttttttttttttt…..cut me to the bone…THE BONE!

Limerick on October 11, 2007 at 4:02 PM

submarine_guy on October 11, 2007 at 4:01 PM

One of many contradictions and inconsistencies.

frreal on October 11, 2007 at 4:03 PM

Redefine it all you want! The Bible (God’s Word) tells us that we cannot possibly honor his word and we are such fallen creatures that we CAN’T obey his laws! He provided a way out (Jesus Christ) but you refuse to believe so you are stuck with having to perfectly obey his laws…from birth…everytime…without exception…

sabbott on October 11, 2007 at 4:04 PM

One of many contradictions and inconsistencies.

frreal on October 11, 2007 at 4:03 PM

How so?

submarine_guy on October 11, 2007 at 4:04 PM

Race-baiting a hobby? (a simple yes or no)

geckomon on October 11, 2007 at 4:00 PM

No. I don’t believe in races. There is only one race: the human race. Period.

I notice you can’t bring yourself answer my question. I have you between a rock and a hard place, don’t I? Testify for Christ, god damn it!

Do you think the Jews are stupid for rejecting Christ? (A simple yes or no)

Loundry on October 11, 2007 at 4:04 PM

Then I welcome damnation……hope it gives you sleepless nights.

Limerick on October 11, 2007 at 4:05 PM

thuja on October 11, 2007 at 4:01 PM

Agreed.

Drum on October 11, 2007 at 4:05 PM

One of many contradictions and inconsistencies things you don’t understand and may not be meant to understand.

frreal on October 11, 2007 at 4:03 PM

ThackerAgency on October 11, 2007 at 4:05 PM

Yeah, that’s right. Basically, all it would take for a Jew to become a Christian is to believe that Jesus was the Messiah.

The outrage is because people take “perfected” to mean “without blemish,” when here it means “to completion.” Thus, the implication of imperfection merely means “incomplete,” not “inferior.”

There. I just defended Ann “John Edwards is a faggot” Coulter. Pardon me while I go purge.

Mark Jaquith on October 11, 2007 at 4:05 PM

Limerick…sigh…enjoy your life…

sabbott on October 11, 2007 at 4:06 PM

sabbott….

see ya on the other side.

Limerick on October 11, 2007 at 4:08 PM

There’s nothing outrageous in what Ann said. Donny D. was trying to make it into something more than it was.

The fact that anyone of any religion thinks his or hers is the way and worthy of aspiration is nothing new. Note, she was having a civil conversation with Deutsch about it — she wasn’t sawing his head off while doing so.

I’m a Catholic and naturally I think my faith is the closest path to God. Does that mean I disrespect Jews? Hardly — we worship the same God; we merely have chosen different paths. I think mine is a better path and I’d love it if everyone worshipped as I do. I’m sure my Jewish friends would feel the same if I were to convert to Judaism, and so on. This wasn’t some hateful diatribe, it was an observation of the obvious as far as I am concerned. Once again, Ann just says it and puts it out there — GOOD FOR HER!!

People always try to manufacture a crisis whenever Ann speaks. In this case, it’s silly.

D2Boston on October 11, 2007 at 4:08 PM

thuja on October 11, 2007 at 4:01 PM

I have to repeat it for you, too. It’s not who said it but who the recipient was that makes this controversial. If it were Atheists that Coulter was claiming superiority over, then there would be no controversy at all.

The problem arises because she’s putting down the Jews, and that’s a cultural no-no in this country.

But it’s also a cultural no-no in this country to diss Jesus, which is what the Jews do by definition.

What is a Christian to do?

Loundry on October 11, 2007 at 4:08 PM

Yep.

Coulter has a new book out.

And Deutsch was trying to make the interview the “manufactured crisis of the week.” Liberals do that a lot, dontchaknow. Hannity, Limbaugh, Coulter, Horowitz, etc., are liberal’s “demons.” They are to be villified by any means necessary, including ambush interviews, deliberate misquotion, willful distortion of position, and so on.

Boys and girls, THAT IS WHAT LIBERALS DO. The term coined for this is the politics of personal destruction. This interview was just one example. What is dissapointing is how many of you fell for it.

Always remember: “What liberals normally do in response to a principled conservative argument is lie, manufacture quotes, and call conservatives names.” [Ann Coulter, "Slander: Liberal Lies About the American Right"]

georgej on October 11, 2007 at 4:09 PM

Wow, Jaquith commented, Hotair hasn’t heard much from you in a while.

Bad Candy on October 11, 2007 at 4:09 PM

Mark Jaquith…what are you talking about? Christianity is about someone else dying for my sins! Where is that in all the other religions you mention? It’s nowhere! All other religions are based upon me being a “better person”…Christianity is the only one that requires NOTHING from me other than faith!

sabbott on October 11, 2007 at 4:09 PM

LOL!!! your guys and the relentless game of “Who said what in what book”

ummm…it a personal thing, maybe keeping it that way will help us all? hmm?

Brian on October 11, 2007 at 4:09 PM

When I think of someone who is perfected, I think of Megan Fox.

Halley on October 11, 2007 at 4:11 PM

BrunoMitchell on October 11, 2007 at 3:11 PM

submarine_guy on October 11, 2007 at 4:01 PM

Jesus and the God of the Hewbrew Bible are one. Jesus is also the Word, and Jews study the word of God. No contradiction.

pedestrian on October 11, 2007 at 4:11 PM

Loundry on October 11, 2007 at 4:04 PM

Must be difficult to live with your self-proclaimed intellect! Silly little “gotcha” questions belong to the left.

geckomon on October 11, 2007 at 4:11 PM

Since God sent Christ to fulfill his promise to his chosen people and his people have chosen to reject him, it’s pretty clear that Ann’s remarks would be the logical comment concerning Jews converting to Christianity. The truth is that anyone who converts would technically doing the same thing. This really just seems to be about a certain segment of Jews who choose to be offended.

csdeven on October 11, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Question: How many of those outraged will condemn Ann for what she said, yet also applaud ahmenadinijad (or any other muslim) when he begins speeches by “peacefully” inviting all those attending to join islam?
Isn’t that all the same thing? Although it is very obvious, at least to those that have brains, that Ann isn’t threatening anyone.
Wouldn’t the world be better off if it was united in faith? How is that controversial?
BTW Hi Debbie! You rock! Ann to if she’s here!

redshirt on October 11, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Christianity is the only one that requires NOTHING from me other than faith!

sabbott on October 11, 2007 at 4:09 PM

Yet another Christian who hasn’t read his Bible recently.

“As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.” James 2:26

That kind of kills the “faith and faith alone” argument, doesn’t it? Or maybe the answer to salvation isn’t so clear after all…

Loundry on October 11, 2007 at 4:13 PM

What is a Christian to do?

Wow, Loundry, you’ll be the last I turn to for an answer to that one. Are you serious? I will now scroll up to see what other weird things you say. She was not “putting down the Jews,” nor do the Jews “by definition” “diss” Jesus.

“By definition” the only “diss” toward Jesus is sin — something we all are guilty of … by definition.

Drum on October 11, 2007 at 4:14 PM

pedestrian on October 11, 2007 at 4:11 PM

I guess I don’t understand. Are you saying because the Jews study the Old Testament that they are belivers in Jesus as the Messiah?

submarine_guy on October 11, 2007 at 4:15 PM

geckomon on October 11, 2007 at 4:11 PM

Why can’t you proclaim Christ is the ruler of all? Are you afraid of what the Jews will think of you if you do?

The Jews *are* going to fry in hell for eternity, aren’t they?

Suddenly, political correctness pierces you to your very heart of hearts. Maybe you can shoo away these uncomfortable questions by calling me a “liberal” or some other diversionary tactic.

Loundry on October 11, 2007 at 4:16 PM

I’m shocked to see people piling on here. No defenders of Coulter?

Allahpundit on October 11, 2007 at 3:00 PM

This is one of the many things I love about this blog. The comments are as interesting to read as the postings. Hotair comments are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re going to get.

Conservatives, IMHO, get the wrong answer about as often as liberals, but at least they’re thinking about it and arguing over it.

RightOFLeft on October 11, 2007 at 4:17 PM

Yet another Christian who hasn’t read his Bible recently.

Loundry on October 11, 2007 at 4:13 PM

Thats only saying that if your faith is without works you really don’t have at all.

submarine_guy on October 11, 2007 at 4:17 PM

Halley – Ah yes…she is perfection!!

Brian on October 11, 2007 at 4:18 PM

submarine_guy on October 11, 2007 at 4:17 PM

Meant to type “faith at all.”

submarine_guy on October 11, 2007 at 4:19 PM

Jaibones on October 11, 2007 at 3:53 PM
geckomon on October 11, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Some Jews commented already. They just weren’t particularly bent out of shape about it, or Ann.

Relig. Jews can’t care much, they’re secure in their own theology. Most American Jews are non-practicing anyway, and some might object for reason which I don’t know, but why should they be offended by a theological comment from a practicing Christian that is not threatening to anyone else?

Ann Coulter an anti-semite? Ridiculous.

JiangxiDad on October 11, 2007 at 4:19 PM

Are you serious?

As a heart attack.

She was not “putting down the Jews,”

I completely disagree. The Jews are imperfect while Christians are “perfected Jews”. Doesn’t that put Christians in a superior position to Jews? Christians are making the correct choice after all, right?

nor do the Jews “by definition” “diss” Jesus.

Drum on October 11, 2007 at 4:14 PM

The Jews believe that Jesus is NOT the messiah. In other words, Jesus was a fraud. Or maybe he didn’t even exist. I’m not sure what Jews believe in particular, but, by definition, they are still waiting for the messiah which means that Jesus is NOT the messiah.

By logical extension, they believe that Jesus is NOT required for salvation.

And this, to you, is not disrespectful toward Jesus Christ? How can that be?

Loundry on October 11, 2007 at 4:20 PM

Loundry anything posted on October 11, 2007

I will now scroll up to see what other weird things you say.
Drum on October 11, 2007 at 4:14 PM