Coulter: Jews will be “perfected” when they become Christians

posted at 2:53 pm on October 11, 2007 by Allahpundit

I’m only linking this because we haven’t had a good Coulter throwdown in the comments lately, and plus it gives me a chance to link Omri Ceren’s eloquent diagnosis of the left’s bed-wetting over it. Breaking news: Christians believe all people ideally should be Christians.

COULTER: Well, OK, take the Republican National Convention. People were happy. They’re Christian. They’re tolerant. They defend America, they —

DEUTSCH: Christian — so we should be Christian? It would be better if we were all Christian?

COULTER: Yes.

DEUTSCH: We should all be Christian?

COULTER: Yes. Would you like to come to church with me, Donny?…

COULTER: No, we think — we just want Jews to be perfected, as they say.

DEUTSCH: Wow, you didn’t really say that, did you?

COULTER: Yes. That is what Christianity is. We believe the Old Testament, but ours is more like Federal Express. You have to obey laws. We know we’re all sinners —

DEUTSCH: In my old days, I would have argued — when you say something absurd like that, there’s no —

COULTER: What’s absurd?

DEUTSCH: Jews are going to be perfected. I’m going to go off and try to perfect myself —

COULTER: Well, that’s what the New Testament says.

You all would know better than I but that is, basically, what the New Testament says, isn’t it? She’s not talking about forcible conversion; she’s saying Christians believe the Judeo-Christian tradition is The Way and those who don’t follow the path all the way to the end aren’t quite where they need to be. (There are even Catholic prayers to this effect.) The word “perfected” is dicey insofar as it implies Christians’ superiority to Jews but she’s only referring to doctrinal superiority as far as I can see, which isn’t exactly a bombshell assertion coming from a Christian. Does the left really mean to suggest she thinks it’s Jews, uniquely, who need to be perfected but Muslims, Buddhists, atheists, etc. are all already co-equal with Christians spiritually? I take it she’d say we’re not even on the path at all and thus, unlike Jews, for the moment entirely unperfectable.

Well, no matter. The left’s tolerance brigades see their opportunity and they’re going to take it.

Exit question assurance to our Jewish readers: We atheists love you just the way you are, baby.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 8

Hmm, here’s a question for DEUTSCH and all others who know much less about Christianity than they think they do…Was Jesus Christ a Christian or a Jew?

doriangrey on October 11, 2007 at 2:56 PM

Well… just like Harry Reid, way to stick your foot in Ann.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on October 11, 2007 at 2:56 PM

hmmmmmmmmmm………touched a nerve here…….

I’ll take my Israeli friends just like they are Ann…thank you very much.

Limerick on October 11, 2007 at 2:57 PM

As a Jewish male, she is REALLY approaching the point of no return with me. This was just completely uncalled for

Defector01 on October 11, 2007 at 2:57 PM

doriangrey on October 11, 2007 at 2:56 PM

“Christianity” as an organized religion didn’t exist until well after the death of Christ.

Christ never claimed to be anything other than the Messiah, and Jew.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on October 11, 2007 at 2:58 PM

Yea, another cry for outrage. Whatever you do, don’t say what you think.

Spirit of 1776 on October 11, 2007 at 2:58 PM

Don’t follow what she’s saying here. FedEx?

forest on October 11, 2007 at 2:59 PM

And all we need from the Dems GOP POSTER GIRL!

She just never knows when to shut her pie hole!

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on October 11, 2007 at 2:59 PM

Ahe may have stepped in it a little too deeply with this one.
Seething from all fronts will commence, well, already has apparently.

bbz123 on October 11, 2007 at 3:00 PM

I’m shocked to see people piling on here. No defenders of Coulter?

Allahpundit on October 11, 2007 at 3:00 PM

Yeah…I’ve long become disillusioned with Ann. She makes some good points because she’s smart, so don’t tell me she doesn’t see the ramifications of some of her statements. Some she says specifically for the press she’ll receive. Talking about wanting “the Jews to be perfected” is straight-out dumbassery.

She’s got guts, but also a hell of a lot of vanity. Ingrid Newkirk, head of PETA, called herself a “Press Slut”. So too, has our Ann cemented herself as.

MadisonConservative on October 11, 2007 at 3:00 PM

I don’t have a problem with anything she said. There are even some Jews who believe that Christ was the fulfillment of their prophecy, Messianic Jews.

Darksbane on October 11, 2007 at 3:01 PM

forest on October 11, 2007 at 2:59 PM

she means its a faster delivery to salvation, because to her christians dont have to follow the laws of ther OT, jews do meaning its harder for them to be perfect.

zane on October 11, 2007 at 3:01 PM

I’m shocked to see people piling on here. No defenders of Coulter?

I will. I think this is stupid to be offended for someone commenting they believe their religious belief is correct.

Spirit of 1776 on October 11, 2007 at 3:01 PM

Basically what it sounds like is no different then what Jews have been fighting with Christian groups for years – that we do not need to be ‘saved’ or ‘perfected’ but instead that we are our own faith and we don’t need Jesus to save us. You need Jesus to save you? Fine and dandy, but I’m not going to shove Chanukah down your throat, don’t shove Jesus down mine.

Defector01 on October 11, 2007 at 3:01 PM

I’m shocked to see people piling on here. No defenders of Coulter?

Allahpundit on October 11, 2007 at 3:00 PM

If it was on a day when I wasn’t already piling on Harry Reid, I might of defended her… but when I’m saying Reid is a dumb-ass for religious insensitivity, I can’t defend Ann.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on October 11, 2007 at 3:01 PM

Allahpundit on October 11, 2007 at 3:00 PM

frankly to me ths along with her women shouldnt vote stuff makes me sick

zane on October 11, 2007 at 3:02 PM

I’m only linking this because we haven’t had a good Coulter throwdown

Yup.

Just checked the HotAir traffic meter…. it was down yesterday

Mcguyver on October 11, 2007 at 3:02 PM

Defector01 on October 11, 2007 at 3:01 PM

indeed.

zane on October 11, 2007 at 3:03 PM

Christ never claimed to be anything other than the Messiah, and Jew.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on October 11, 2007 at 2:58 PM

So logically than, what is a follower of Jesus Christ? Since Jesus Christ never claimed he was starting his own religion, was in fact a devout practicing Jew and claimed to be the promised Jewish Messiah, what does that make his follower’s?

doriangrey on October 11, 2007 at 3:03 PM

Defector01 on October 11, 2007 at 3:01 PM

Very good. You let me know when Ann starts knocking on your door trying to shove it into your personal life, and I’ll call her and ask her to stop.

Spirit of 1776 on October 11, 2007 at 3:04 PM

Perfected Jews? :D

Darksbane on October 11, 2007 at 3:04 PM

Doriangrey
Jews refused to accept believes in Christ being a messiah as part of the general Jewish religion so eventually they formed their own sect and eventually formed their own religion. Christ didn’t declare “CHRISTIANITY” but Jews refused to accept them as part of their faith.

Same goes with so-called “Messianic Jews”, the Jewish community refuses to accept them

Defector01 on October 11, 2007 at 3:05 PM

Why is everyone so upset?
She spoke her mind.
Who can argue that Christians believe the Jewish people are ‘missing the boat’ when it comes to the Messiah?
Everyone is just afraid to be Real, if you ask me.
She says out loud what most think and say in private.
What’s the big deal?
Welcome to America.
Where even the women can offend you!

bridgetown on October 11, 2007 at 3:05 PM

I’m shocked to see people piling on here. No defenders of Coulter?

Allahpundit on October 11, 2007 at 3:00 PM

Nah, she jumped the shark ages ago after the infamous “ragheads” comment, in my book. That was where she started to become a bigger liability than an asset.

Bad Candy on October 11, 2007 at 3:05 PM

I’m with you, So1776:

A pox on anyone who doesn’t think his beliefs are better than the alternatives.

jdpaz on October 11, 2007 at 3:05 PM

doriangrey on October 11, 2007 at 3:03 PM

You would logically think they were Jews. But since when has humanity done anything logically.

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on October 11, 2007 at 3:06 PM

I’ll try to “nuance it” for you Allah. :D

In brief, you were right–Of course Christians think that Christianity is the way, the truth, and the right. All people WOULD become more perfected if they followed Christ teachings–at least, that’s my belief. That includes a whole heck of a lot of so-called Christians themselves, though.

It’s the same with every other belief system, though. Muslims think Islam is the only way, Jews have their system, Buddhists, even Atheists think their way is the best. If they DIDN’T think that way, they’d change their faith.

Coulter just manages to blunder about that doctrine in a piss-poor, offensive manner. Sure, Jews need perfection–but I’d rather have a good Jew than a poor Christian any day. Heck, I think I’d rather have a Muslim that followed the good teachings in Islam and none of the bad over some hypocritical Christian.

Vanceone on October 11, 2007 at 3:06 PM

Why anyone even bothers to listen to a word she says is beyond me.

terryannonline on October 11, 2007 at 3:06 PM

Take away the rash to judgment indignation and Anne makes a point that is not foreign to what a Christian is. This isn’t automatically anti-semitic because then it would make Jesus anti-semitic. Think about it.

geckomon on October 11, 2007 at 3:06 PM

Ace’s post, ‘If You Don’t Believe In Christ, You’re Going To Hell” pretty much says it all on this sort of thing.

Most religions have a dogma. If you believe in it, you’re part of the religion. If you don’t, you’re not. So let’s have an end to this childish insistence that Christians re-write their religion, removing the very Christ from Christianity, just so some people don’t have to feel bad about going to a Christian Hell they’re quite certain is a dark fairy tale told to imbeclies.

It’s ridiculous for people to get their panties in a knot over it the concept that Christians actually believe their own faith is the best. But then, it is the left we’re talking about, so I guess it’s inevitable.

Laura on October 11, 2007 at 3:06 PM

That’s the ticket! She offended me once, so I’ll look for it again! Happy hunting!

Spirit of 1776 on October 11, 2007 at 3:07 PM

As with anything that Ann says, you have to read the entire transcript to comprehend and figure out that she usually has another agenda behind her outrageous statements. I think she was goading Deutsch – even once questioning whether he is a practicing Jew. And isn’t he a really close FOBJ (friend of Billy Jeff)? If so, that’s another reason she chose this venue to get her name in the news. Plus, the Rush smear has died down – her turn to be a target of the Media Muthas. And maybe this will sell more books??

Brat on October 11, 2007 at 3:07 PM

Much ado about zilch.

If a Jewish person claimed his/her beliefs were superior to my (nominally) Catholic beliefs, I wouldn’t be offended at all.

If he/she claimed that the world would be better off if everyone was Jewish, I would disagree but would hardly be offended by it.

Mike Honcho on October 11, 2007 at 3:09 PM

Doriangrey

Defector01 on October 11, 2007 at 3:05 PM

Hmmm, interesting. So what you are saying is that, the Jewish community decides regardless of the beliefs and practices adhered to by the individual whether the individual is Jewish.

doriangrey on October 11, 2007 at 3:09 PM

I’ll defend her. The lady is a whacko. She’s just looking for a rise out of you. Kinda like the little sister who’s always trying to get you to chase her. Or the teen sister who never ever agrees with anything you say. She just wants attention. Spoiled. Very much like all the rest of the fools in Washington. Ann just has nothing to lose by mouthing-off. So she does. She’s our very own Bill Maher. Only much prettier.

We won’t even go into the fact of how much better of a world we’d live in if everyone would just stop being offended by every little thing said. Go ahead and rail on me if it makes you feel better.

That said, she’s still got more character than 80% of all the elected politicians in Washington.

Griz on October 11, 2007 at 3:10 PM

Mike Honcho on October 11, 2007 at 3:09 PM

Exactly.

Spirit of 1776 on October 11, 2007 at 3:10 PM

I wouldn’t agree with the language in which she phrases this, but, as Allah says in the post, Christianity is an exclusive faith, in the sense that it views other faiths as incompatible with it, and as essentially untrue. The Christian narrative is totalizing.

I cannot imagine that her comments would not also refer to other religions as well, just like Allah mentioned. Judaism is a bit different in that, as Coulter mentions, Christians view it as basically the first half of the story, to which the New Testament is the fuller revelation. Christ came to remove the enmity between humanity and God – which I as a Christian would say is the climax of the story began in the history of Israel.

I would not have used the word “perfected,” and I think it is a stretch to say that she meant Jews only. It wasn’t a very clear, or good, explication of Christianity, in my opinion.

nailinmyeye on October 11, 2007 at 3:10 PM

Read the Book of Romans, Ann. Jews are the chosen people and once God gives his favor, he doesn’t take it back. So as long as we live by the Ten Commandments, we don’t have to accept JC to enter the kingdom of heaven. Can’t get more perfect than that.

BrunoMitchell on October 11, 2007 at 3:11 PM

Those aren’t Jews; they’re Christians who want to pretend they’re still Jews. Sorry, you can’t have it both ways. If you believe in Jesus, you’ve converted to Christianity, and that’s that.

nobaloney on October 11, 2007 at 3:12 PM

You are partly correct. A Christian believes that they are made perfect through Christ’s sacrifice in the eyes of God. That’s the doctrinal context of her statement.

It’s a non issue really. Christians are commanded to spread the Gospel and most believe the country and the world would be better off if more or all of the people VOLUNTARILY converted.

The only “scandal” here is that people are so ignorant of Christian doctrine and terminology that they can’t grasp the meaning of what she’s saying. Pretty soon we’re going to have to have someone like Robert Spencer blogging the Bible because it’s so foreign to our culture we can’t grasp the most basic doctrinal concepts.

bj1126 on October 11, 2007 at 3:12 PM

Where the hell does nuance fall into this bag of worms? The Jewish state is on the brink…..a brink we here in America can’t even imagine….and so it is let’s be cute and make a sound bite?…..Save that crud for debate later. Right now the last…the LAST thing we need is to make Israel even more isolated.

I for one will gladly raise the Blue & White in my yard…right under the Stars and Stripes.

Limerick on October 11, 2007 at 3:12 PM

Thanks for the Omri Ceren link. Eloquent indeed.

KelliD on October 11, 2007 at 3:12 PM

Donny Deutsch is a jerk and always was but Ann Coulter at times has a big mouth. I hope she enjoys the Hillary presidency that she is working so hard to obtain – people like Coulter prefer to be in the minority (just like George Will another alleged conservative prefers minority status).

Hilts on October 11, 2007 at 3:13 PM

Muslims want to “perfect” Jews too. What’s the big deal here?

BelchSpeak on October 11, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Spirit of 1776 on October 11, 2007 at 3:07 PM

I wasn’t particularly offended by what she said, I thought it was moronic because of the unneccesary sh*tstorm it would cause, which is precisely what happened.

It happens every time she wants a little extra money or her name on the NYT bestseller, I’m not offended by her so much as I am annoyed by her tedious fixation on being center of attention, and the unnessary and unproductive distractions she causes for the conservative movement.

Bad Candy on October 11, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Some things about people need to be “perfected” in the perception of some other people. So what?

nottakingsides on October 11, 2007 at 3:14 PM

she’s just stating one of the Christian principles with out shame or politically correct fluff.

i can see how it can be offensive, but as a Jew myself, i don’t mind her saying that. for the most part, because the only (or main) reason why she said it was to annoy liberals who too often fall all over themselves to choose the correct words and put whip cream on the shit cake (or, what in their minds is shit cake, and in my mind is ancient principles that aren’t forced on anyone)

AlexB on October 11, 2007 at 3:14 PM

doriangrey

Let me sum up the difference between Judaism and Christianity

Jews: The Messiah has not come, the Messiah won’t be the son of God
Christians: Messiah has come, he was Jesus, he was the son of God and he’ll return
Messianic Jews: The messiah has come in Jesus and will return.

Judaism has a fair amount of variety to it but one of the tenants of the faith is that the messiah has not come. You can not, under ANY circumstances, be Jewish and believe the Messiah has come. It is completely impossible. Jews regard Messianic Judaism as being Christianity with a Jewish skin designed to trick Jews into becoming Christians. Hell even Christians aren’t fond of Messianic Jews because they feel that they are being dishonest in their practice.

Defector01 on October 11, 2007 at 3:14 PM

you tellem ann!!

she can say watever the hell she wants, i just hope that bryan’s imaginary liberal doppleganger doesnt demand an apology!

ernesto on October 11, 2007 at 3:15 PM

This Michelle Malkin v Anne Coulter feud is getting interesting.

thesheesh on October 11, 2007 at 3:16 PM

Muslims want to “perfect” Jews too. What’s the big deal here?

Ignorance rears it’s ugly head. Did you write all your book reports using cliff notes?

geckomon on October 11, 2007 at 3:18 PM

Agreed, she a freaking idiot. The less the GOP has to hear from her the better off the GOP shall be going forwward.

I would also.

Gosh, I am dying to hear Debbie Schlussel take on this statement.

AprilOrit on October 11, 2007 at 3:18 PM

Bad Candy on October 11, 2007 at 3:14 PM

What??? She makes her living writing books. If nobody knows you wrote a book, nobody buys it and you starve. Short of the Rock band KISS very few people have ever played the publicity game better than Ann, being mad at her for being really good at her vocation is, well silly.

doriangrey on October 11, 2007 at 3:18 PM

Ann does have a big mouth, but that’s part of her charm. As a Jew, I think she’s dead wrong about this. However, if she didn’t think that her beliefs were superior to mine, I suspect she’d renounce them and adopt my beliefs instead.

For the record, I think my beliefs are superior to hers, which is why I don’t adopt Christianity and follow Jesus.

Fortunately for all of us, we live in a country where we can openly maintain that our personal beliefs are superior to those of our neighbors without feeling the need to kill our neighbors for their theological errors.

morganfrost on October 11, 2007 at 3:18 PM

The left gets a 2-for-1 here.

They get to rail against Ann AND they get to rail against Christians, the real threat to peace/democracy/environment/etc,etc.

Hoodlumman on October 11, 2007 at 3:18 PM

Bad Candy on October 11, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Heh. Right on! Let’s have a Larry Craig post then so we don’t distract from the conservative movement…whatever that might actually be these days. Such a pity so many liberals buy her book then and rocket up the best sellers list – I’m if conservatives bought it, well then it wouldn’t really be a distraction if that was their topic of choice. Darn all those liberal book buyers!

Spirit of 1776 on October 11, 2007 at 3:18 PM

So instead of Political Correctness it should be Political Expediency that causes us to not speak our minds?

It’s like AP saying the other day that Bush shouldn’t have vetoed SCHIP because he doesn’t have a good track record on spending and it wasn’t politically advantageous. Never mind the fact that it was a dramatic expansion on nationalized health care and a stepping stone to “Hillary Care” pass the thing so we don’t have to have the mean old Democrats saying we hate children!

bj1126 on October 11, 2007 at 3:18 PM

I wouldn’t have used the word “perfected” myself, but I otherwise agree with her on that. I’ve always thought of Christianity as the culmination of Judaism. Where’s the confusion? It’s pretty much what Christianity has always said it was.

High Desert Wanderer on October 11, 2007 at 3:19 PM

I’m shocked to see people piling on here. No defenders of Coulter?

She is a political prostitute who only cares about Ann Coulter making money and the way she does that is by saying outrageous things.

Hilts on October 11, 2007 at 3:19 PM

As an Ex-Christian, I understand what she’s saying. The “FedEx” analogy works this way: under the “old covenant”, you were justified to God by following the law. Under the “new covenant”, you are justified to god through the blood of Jesus Christ. It’s common for Jew-friendly Christians (I remember some Christians who felt this way) to allow Jews to operate under the “old covenant” because they were “God’s chosen people”. In other words, Yes, everyone “needs Jesus”, but the Jews get special treatment because they were chosen people. It’s a “Yes, but” when it comes to the Jews. Then again, not every Christian feels this way.

I think the part that I find interesting is the notion that she is “perfected”. Christians, is her theology sound? Does Christ, in fact, make you “perfect”? When I was a Christian, I would have been uncomfortable with this, because “only God is good” and because all humans, even Christians, still sin because of their “sin nature”. Hence, I would have thought her claim to be “perfected” to be Biblically dead wrong. Are there any Christians here who see that point of view?

Loundry on October 11, 2007 at 3:20 PM

Christians believe all people ideally should be Christians.

Heaven, no.

Who would I get to do my taxes?

The Ugly American on October 11, 2007 at 3:20 PM

Gosh, I am dying to hear Debbie Schlussel take on this statement.

AprilOrit on October 11, 2007 at 3:18 PM

Groan. Her normal shtick is too self-interested for me, and that will be massively amplified. I’ll skip that one thanks.

Spirit of 1776 on October 11, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Defector01 on October 11, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Where did the concept of the messiah come from? Is it not one of the fundamental tenants of the Jewish faith? How can you believe in the promise of a thing that you assert can never happen?

doriangrey on October 11, 2007 at 3:21 PM

No, AP, you’ve got it wrong. It’s not a doctrinal superiority. To be perfected means for us to be what God intended for us to be. As Christians, we believe and are told by the words of Christ that “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man comes to the Father except through me.”

We can never be perfect, but, in essence, we are perfected through Grace.

So don’t take it the way you think you are hearing it. It has a much more simple, and I daresay, humane meaning. We want everyone to be perfected. John 3:17 says, “for he came not into the world to condemn the world, but that the world, through him, might be saved.”

Tennman on October 11, 2007 at 3:22 PM

Loundry on October 11, 2007 at 3:20 PM

The point is that Christ has made you perfect. You take His perfection on yourself in God’s eyes. That’s the whole point of Salvation. Yes we are sinners and we will continue to sin after conversion but Christ’s sacrifice covers that in God’s eyes.

bj1126 on October 11, 2007 at 3:23 PM

Yes. Would you like to come to church with me, Donny?…

There’s the context. It sounds more like good natured ribbing than an alter call. Using the term “perfected” simply implies her understanding of the Christian doctrine.

This really isn’t a bomb shell.

natesnake on October 11, 2007 at 3:23 PM

bj1126 on October 11, 2007 at 3:18 PM

This has nothing to do with political correctness, and its only partly to do with political expediency. She annoys me on a personal level for the exact same reasons, she’s the Paris Hilton of conservative punditry…its annoying and tedious.

Bad Candy on October 11, 2007 at 3:23 PM

doriangrey on October 11, 2007 at 3:18 PM

Pelosi and Reid are politicians. They seem to be really good at it. Aren’t you angry with them?

Bradky on October 11, 2007 at 3:23 PM

Heh. I like comments like these. Personal omnipotence to determine motive plus implied foolishness of the populace.

Spirit of 1776 on October 11, 2007 at 3:23 PM

She is so toxic, she’s like the way Madonna was in the late 1980s early 1990s.

I think she should just become a comic/entertainer/Madonna- wannabbe and leave punditry to the adults and the people who really care about the GOP than lining their personal pockets at the party’s expense, which is shameful.

AprilOrit on October 11, 2007 at 3:23 PM

doriangrey

The concept of the Messiah first came during the First Expulsion of Jews from Israel/Judea by the Baylonians (I think). It is a fairly important part of the faith and how can I believe something that can never happen? I’ll sum it up in two words “Faith manages”. I don’t think our messiah coming is any less likely then Jesus coming back down to Earth and Armageddon but does that mean a piece of your faith is equally as odd to believe in.

Morgan,
I understand what your saying and it does make sense, having said that, but it still irks the living heck out of me

Defector01 on October 11, 2007 at 3:24 PM

I take this about as seriously as an exchange between Cartman and Kyle.

natesnake on October 11, 2007 at 3:25 PM

Sigh …

Ann Coulter is one of the best things going in this world of pseudo-outrage and phony morality.

Go Ann!

For those inclined to perpetual outrage … try demandanapology.com

darwin on October 11, 2007 at 3:25 PM

She’s morphed into the Material Girl!!! LOLOLOLOL

AprilOrit on October 11, 2007 at 3:25 PM

I think she gets the word “perfect” from Hebrews 11:39-40. The word can also be translated “brought to completion” or “made complete.” So if Jesus is the Messiah (which, as a Christian, I believe) then she’s saying the Jewish faith was brought to completion with the coming of that Messiah and that the faith is incomplete without accepting that.

She could have stated it better, but I don’t think her intent was to offend, nor is it mine.

Slublog on October 11, 2007 at 3:25 PM

I’m just still trying to figure out if I’d hit that or not. She’s certainly striking, but picturing that gaunt, pale frame naked confuses my tallywhacker. There is definitely something about her though.

What’s awesome about Ann is that she certainly would not mind me objectifying her thusly.

The Race Card on October 11, 2007 at 3:25 PM

morganfrost on October 11, 2007 at 3:18 PM

We can not only live without feeling the need to kill our neighbors for their theological errors, we can even respect and admire each others beliefs. I have a friend I meet in my local bar every other month or so. He is a practicing Jew, I always look forward to our discussions knowing that I will learn things about my own faith because of his perspective on the faith from which mine sprang.

doriangrey on October 11, 2007 at 3:25 PM

This girl will end up in ‘hell’ – but, she sure knows how to sell books. One has to, agree or not with her, admire her capacity for abnoxious thoughts, and the absolute hutspa, in and by itself, and then to totally drive the left hopping, while amusing and rallying the right.

In the meanwhile, ching, ching, ching, Amazon, ching, ching.

Gos is on her side, no doubt.

Entelechy on October 11, 2007 at 3:26 PM

This Michelle Malkin v Anne Coulter feud is getting interesting.

Heh, I’d like to comment on that, but I don’t want to get banned today:)

Spirit of 1776 on October 11, 2007 at 3:26 PM

I think someone should ask Debbie Schlussel for a comment.

AprilOrit on October 11, 2007 at 3:26 PM

Bad Candy on October 11, 2007 at 3:23 PM

There’s a fine line between saying she annoys you and saying she should shut up because she annoys you.

bj1126 on October 11, 2007 at 3:26 PM

750 comments in the making.

Well done AP…well done indeed.

Limerick on October 11, 2007 at 3:27 PM

This is pretty much how I was raised to view it, so I do find Coulter’s remarks a bit distasteful, but I’m not offended by her statement itself, its just her stirring up a sh*tstorm to sell more books, and I find that annoying.

Bad Candy on October 11, 2007 at 3:27 PM

S/b obnoxious – heh, why isn’t the English language pronounced the way it’s written? Just arguing with self…

Entelechy on October 11, 2007 at 3:27 PM

Are the words toxic because of who said them or because of what was said?

Sounds like the left and their objections to anything Rush Limbaugh says.

geckomon on October 11, 2007 at 3:27 PM

At least it wasn’t at an RNC Convention.

natesnake on October 11, 2007 at 3:28 PM

Technically, her comments about “perfection” probably were not meant the way most interpret them — I’m not going to comment on the rest of her statements in the transcript. Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_perfection
for an overview. There you can see that the Christian theological concept of “perfection” exists, is a core concept — and doesn’t mean what a non Christian would assume it means.

SunSword on October 11, 2007 at 3:28 PM

Ms. E…..

Laughed til it hurt……I’ll take your advice and put down the beer!

Limerick on October 11, 2007 at 3:28 PM

If you belong to a religion – any religion – you of necessity believe all others who don’t belong are not privy to the truth you are, and should convert in order to see the light. To deny this is to not take your religion seriously or admit what belonging entails and demands of you. What is surprising here with Ann is how seriously she takes her religion – I wouldn’t have guessed it about her.

But she’s not saying anything any Christian shouldn’t say. I could never agree with it, but it’s logical given the Christian premise.

Halley on October 11, 2007 at 3:28 PM

A line we like to call civil liberties.

750 comments in the making.
Well done AP…well done indeed.

Yep, he’s got his wish:)

Spirit of 1776 on October 11, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Geckomon
I think it is the words but I must admit (ty to Ace for this) I don’t think I’d get as furious if a Muslim said it, in part because “well, I expect this of them” and in part because it seems like (as a Jewish republican who gets enough of this crap from my side of the religious aisle) this is an actual ally giving me religious crap about hwo I’m not really like them and am not sufficient.

Defector01 on October 11, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Defector01 on October 11, 2007 at 3:24 PM

Good answer…See my post…doriangrey on October 11, 2007 at 3:25 PM

doriangrey on October 11, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Sounds like the left and their objections to anything Rush Limbaugh says.

geckomon on October 11, 2007 at 3:27 PM

I get the feeling reading many of these posts that these folks would gladly be touting their own version of the fairness doctrine if they had their way. It’s a little frightening.

bj1126 on October 11, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Bad Candy

Take your annoyance out on Deutsch, he’s the one that asked her the question … she simply answered.

darwin on October 11, 2007 at 3:30 PM

Hi Lim, my adorable e-friend. Hope you enjoy that beer. I so enjoy reading all your comments, and above all that you are so reasonable and nice.

It’s not that I don’t know how to spell, for a darn foreigner, but I get so excited to post on topic that I forget to use the good “preview” button. Then I get soooo mad at myself. Some things don’t change. Best regards to you and family,

Entelechy on October 11, 2007 at 3:31 PM

Good answer…See my post…doriangrey on October 11, 2007 at 3:25 PM

doriangrey

My rabbi would be so proud of me :-D
And hey this is at least a fun debate. Beats the crap out of my liberal criminal procedure professor whose blathering on and on

Defector01 on October 11, 2007 at 3:31 PM

There are even Catholic prayers to this effect.

I’m assuming that we’re talking about the against-school-prayer, pro-abortion, anti-nuclear wing

The Ugly American on October 11, 2007 at 3:32 PM

Free speech? Or Free sound bytes?

Limerick on October 11, 2007 at 3:33 PM