A Marine Truther? Updated: “Johnny Wave”

posted at 4:55 pm on October 11, 2007 by Bryan

Does anyone have any idea who the gentleman on the left is?

img00082.jpg

Whoever he is, he was seen in Marine dress blues today, holding a “9-11 Truth Now” sign. Here’s all that we know so far.

I just got a call from my wife on her lunch break. Seems there was a group of Truthers at the Promonade in Santa Monica, CA and in their ranks was a Marine in full dress blues. She said, “I almost punched him in the face”. I love her.

Anyway, I told her to go back and get some pics with her cell phone. She was only able to get a couple before the guy left, receiving many thanks from his Twoofer pals.

img00080.jpg

img00081.jpg

If the gentleman is a real Marine (and I would be unsurprised to learn that he isn’t), I’m sure Jon “I am the troops” Solz will want to have a talk with him, since military members aren’t supposed to wear their military uniforms while engaging in political activity.

Update: Here’s a close-up of the Marine’s medals. The pics were taken with a cell camera, as mentioned above, so they’re low quality. Also as mentioned above, the guy was gone before more and better pics could be taken.

img00082cu.jpg

Here’s what looks to be the type of sign he was carrying.

911truthnow250×386.jpg

Update: I see some speculation about his shoes/boots in comments. Here’s a close-up, with the color goosed and contrast exaggerated so that you can see them a little better. It’s hard to tell, but they don’t look like cowboy boots to me.

img00080shoe.jpg

Update: I go off for a little while and you guys conduct an investigation. So the question now is, is our Marine Johnny Wave?

Update: A couple more photos to look at. Courtesy what must be a one-man outfit called Republicans for 9-11 Truth, here’s “Johnny Wave” out holding one of those signs again, probably in West Hollywood iirc from the last time I was there.

johnny_wave.jpg

And here is what might be the same gentleman’s publicity photo. If they’re the same guy, then “Johnny Wave” is actually an aspiring actor by the name of Zach. That doesn’t mean that he’s not a real Marine, since he might be, but if he is he ought not be out there wearing his uniform during protests.

zach-pubphoto.jpg

Here’s a close-up of Johnny Wave’s medals, for you Marines in the crowd. It’s not a great close-up, but it’s better than the first one.

johnny_wavemedals.jpg

Update: I was a bit skeptical, but it does look like Zach’s our guy. Here’s a cropped version of this shot, from a June 11 protest (they’re out protesting on the 11th of each month). Compare it to the publicity shot above.

june_11_2007_911_demo_0082tn.jpg

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I didn’t see a National Defense Ribbon either. If he is a real Marine he would be wearing that along with the other decorations. I doubt very much you will find a Marine wounded in combat (with what looks like a Purple Heart) wearing a Bronze Star without a V (for valor) device. I think this guy is a fraud I can’t imagine a real Marine knowingly play such a tool for the left. Then again not a real expert being a retired Air Force SNCO.

KC-135A on October 11, 2007 at 7:24 PM

Platoon 3030 1969 Parris Island PFC but no blues. Got em later. Hey 3 Marines!! We have the perimeter secured!

MNDavenotPC on October 11, 2007 at 7:24 PM

“Teufels hounde”=Devil Dog. That’s what the Huns called marines in WWI.

Just a FYI moment.

Sgt. Khe Sahn

1GooDDaDDy on October 11, 2007 at 7:25 PM

Couldn’t find a prohibition in the whole section on shoes (male).

baldilocks on October 11, 2007 at 7:21 PM

If it’s not spelled out, it’s not allowed. The boots the reg spoke of specifically addressed combat boots with the utility uniform, nothing else. Cowboy boots are not allowed with any USMC dress uniform, nor would it appear they are allowed with the utility uniform without a specific waiver.

jdawg on October 11, 2007 at 7:26 PM

Our ‘friend’ Johhny has another “personal’ Myspace page where you can get a closer look at him minus his uniform: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=204613710

The page is blocked so you can’t get past the initial photo/details however.

Britcop on October 11, 2007 at 7:26 PM

1GooDDaDDy on October 11, 2007 at 7:22 PM

OORAH!

jdawg on October 11, 2007 at 7:26 PM

Belleau Wood. yep! Devil Dogs

MNDavenotPC on October 11, 2007 at 7:26 PM

Well got all the HA kids surrounded now it’s time for them to give it up.

Sgt. Khe Sahn

1GooDDaDDy on October 11, 2007 at 7:27 PM

1GooDDaDDy on October 11, 2007 at 7:27 PM

heh heh.

jdawg on October 11, 2007 at 7:28 PM

Platoon 211, Parris Island 1962

Wade on October 11, 2007 at 7:28 PM

Wade

you, too? now THAT was boot camp!

MNDavenotPC on October 11, 2007 at 7:29 PM

Wade on October 11, 2007 at 7:28 PM

Outstanding!!

That makes 4 – They’re completely outnumbered now!

jdawg on October 11, 2007 at 7:30 PM

MNDavenotPC on October 11, 2007 at 7:29 PM

You notice his plt number only has three digits, right? Now THAT’s old Corps!

jdawg on October 11, 2007 at 7:31 PM

Seriously, though. When the talk turns toward illegal immigrants and the take over of this country by Mexico? Just by my count on this thread, Marines? It’s gonna be a nasty fight.

MNDavenotPC on October 11, 2007 at 7:32 PM

Platoon 211, Parris Island 1962

Wade on October 11, 2007 at 7:28 PM

Damn Wade I didn’t know you was hanging out with old “Chesty”. I didn’t think Marines lived that long.

Sgt. Khe Sahn

1GooDDaDDy on October 11, 2007 at 7:32 PM

Jdawg
I wonder if Wade was one of the first to Brasso Iron Mike there……..lol I frickin did!

MNDavenotPC on October 11, 2007 at 7:33 PM

MNDavenotPC on October 11, 2007 at 7:32 PM

It’s already gotten nasty. You better believe both my Senators got lots of emails and calls from me.

jdawg on October 11, 2007 at 7:34 PM

MNDavenotPC on October 11, 2007 at 7:33 PM

Heh. Did they have Brasso in ’62? Just kidding…

jdawg on October 11, 2007 at 7:35 PM

Saw the thread about Marine with the troothers and had do throw some salt in the wound.

Sgt. Khe Sahn

1GooDDaDDy on October 11, 2007 at 7:35 PM

Wonder what would happen if HA offered an open thread just for us………….. whoa!

MNDavenotPC on October 11, 2007 at 7:36 PM

1) cowboy boots are a dead give away
2) The badge is an Rifle expert badge
3) His badges and ribbons are touching. They should by separated ¼ inch
4) His rifle expert badge is in a slight angle compared to his ribbons
5) He’s missing the gold anodized buttons on his cover (above the ears on the”hat”)
6) He has no white gloves

His ribbons are probably (his right to his left) national defense medal (ribbon) Global War on Terrorism Medal(ribbon)—————the 3rd on doesn’t make sense, it looks green.

I don’t think he’s the real deal.

josetheguerilla on October 11, 2007 at 7:37 PM

Wonder what would happen if HA offered an open thread just for us………….. whoa!

MNDavenotPC on October 11, 2007 at 7:36 PM

Maybe we can get AP to do that on Nov 10th… That would be great. With a pic of Chesty Puller.

jdawg on October 11, 2007 at 7:40 PM

I didn’t see a National Defense Ribbon either.

That’s the one I can be sure of (yes, living a cadet life comes down to one sad ribbon) bottom left. Thinking possibly GWOT/Sea Service behind. Check me on this one, most debatable, but could the top left be Combat Action Ribbon?

I can’t find though for the life of me the top right ribbon in this photo. It looks white/black stripe/white/black stripe/white, but can’t find any matching that on this site.

I’m with KC on this one. I don’t know JROTC medals, don’t care to look either, but wouldn’t be surprised if he’s got some.

TheEJS on October 11, 2007 at 7:42 PM

jdawg on October 11, 2007 at 7:40 PM

Yea with Wade standing next to him with a cold one in his hand.

Sgt. Khe Sahn

1GooDDaDDy on October 11, 2007 at 7:42 PM

josetheguerilla on October 11, 2007 at 7:37 PM

Nothing out of the ordinary with him having the expert badge – I had that as a Private. The angle could be due to bad photo angle. Ribbons should be 1/8th inch apart as I recall, but to me the boots are wrong and his very presence at this thing is wrong. I doubt he’s the real deal, either.

jdawg on October 11, 2007 at 7:43 PM

Just to show everyone he(Wade)is still alive.

Sgt. Khe Sahn

1GooDDaDDy on October 11, 2007 at 7:44 PM

Can’t hurt to ask. I have to call it a night. ” Good night, Chesty! Wherever you are!”

MNDavenotPC on October 11, 2007 at 7:44 PM

1GooDDaDDy on October 11, 2007 at 7:42 PM

I darn near lost my keyboard on that one!!

jdawg on October 11, 2007 at 7:44 PM

Phony Marine+troothers=satire

From the left that is.

Sgt. Khe Sahn

1GooDDaDDy on October 11, 2007 at 7:47 PM

TheEJS on October 11, 2007 at 7:42 PM

I was finally able to ID a CAR, Navy PUC and the NDSM. The rest I can’t. One may be a SSDR, the rest are unidentifiable to me. The one you mentioned (possibly white/black stripe/white/black stripe/white) I do not see anywhere – didn’t think it could be a JROTC ribbon, but if it is, that would definitely tag him a phony.

jdawg on October 11, 2007 at 7:47 PM

Don’t see the Good Conduct, but the ribbon everyone’s trying to figure out is an Iraqi campaign medal. The most junior is a GWOT service ribbon. In conjunction, these tell me he’s been to Iraq once, and recently (not 2003-2004 or he’d have both GWOT’s and only once or he’d have all three. Unless they changed the rules again…). I think he’s legit, but one of those deluded Scott Beauchamp types who is convinced he’s SOOOO much smarter than his brethren. Those guys used to p1ss me off eight ways from sunday and always seemed to end up with the crap jobs (especially when I was the one making the roster). Eh, whatever. He’s a disgrace, but then stupidity always has been a capital crime. Let him get caught like that by a couple of other NCOs (or even motivated Lance’s) and he’s down for the beating of his life! Even if they didn’t take him to the tree line, his entire chain of command would know about this the next day! I hope for his sake that he is no longer active…

Semper Fi to all the other Devil Dogs out there and keep up the pressure on turds like this.

-USMC (1999-2007)

Militant Bibliophile on October 11, 2007 at 7:48 PM

Militant Bibliophile on October 11, 2007 at 7:48 PM

Semper Fi right back to ya! Thanks for ID’ing that ribbon. What’s up with the boots? They look like cowboy boots to me. Who does this guy think he is, John Wayne?

jdawg on October 11, 2007 at 7:53 PM

Just as I thought. There seems to be at least 3 Marines in all this. Which might explain some disparity on the differences between the Google photos and Hotair’s. Are these Marines wearing the same uniform? Or separately?

“Cosmos and Johnny are joined by another IRR Marine, Andrew. This is the birth of Marines for 9/11 Truth.”

Kokonut on October 11, 2007 at 7:55 PM

Strike that. Make that two Marines.

Jack speaks with 9/11 truth activist and radio talk show host Cosmos from http://www.truthaction.org, and two very brave, currently enlisted US … all » Marines – Cpl. Johnny Wave and Cpl. Andrew to discuss their protest on the 11th of the month at ABC Studios in California in full dress blues.

Kokonut on October 11, 2007 at 7:59 PM

Allah’s recent YouTube video is Andrew, I believe. And the Google pictures (with Hotair’s) would be Johnny Wave, I suspect.

Kokonut on October 11, 2007 at 8:01 PM

If it’s not spelled out, it’s not allowed.

That doesn’t sound like a very military way of looking at things, especially not Marine. In my experience with all of the services, if they want something specifically prohibited, it’s always spelled out.

Um, the entire regulation–entitled MARINE CORPS UNIFORM REGULATIONS–addresses all aspects of Marine Dress and Appearance in all uniform combinations.

Cowboy boots are not allowed with any USMC dress uniform,

I’m inclined to believe that, but as I said, I can’t find it explicitly stated in that reg.

jdawg on October 11, 2007 at 7:26 PM

If by ‘utility uniform’ you mean BDUs, I highly doubt that anyone is allowed to wear anything other than combat boots or running shoes therewith.

I don’t think you really know, but are just guessing. I am too (I’m retired USAF), but I admit it. That’s why I went to the source.

baldilocks on October 11, 2007 at 8:12 PM

Sgt. Khe Sahn

1GooDDaDDy on October 11, 2007 at 7:32 PM

I was a LeJuene and saw Chesty he was retired by then. Was Force Recon at Gieger and in the field when Kennedy was shot and was in the one of the 1st units in Nam.
And I can not stand Murtha.

Wade on October 11, 2007 at 8:23 PM

On the flicker photo it looks like hes got a Two row bar with only 4 ribbons on it…

Top row left two spots look open… all you see is Bar.

Big no no…

Bet the guys a college student…

Romeo13 on October 11, 2007 at 8:28 PM

…here’s “Johnny Wave” out holding one of those signs again, probably in West Hollywood iirc from the last time I was there.

Actually, that’s Burbank

The Ugly American on October 11, 2007 at 8:33 PM

In the next pix there is clearly no Bronze Star and no Purple Heart. I was taught in boot camp a purple heart shows you made a mistake and not a badge of honor, but then again I was told a lot of things in boot camp.
Your Marines remember this one:

Oh God, thou who has made us
and all good things
Receive our thanks
And strengthen us to do thy will
Amen

READY SEATS!

Wade on October 11, 2007 at 8:35 PM

nothing is stopping anyone in the marines from being a total moonbat. my brother is in the army and is one. my cousin was in the marines and hes a total wackjob (mental health issues.)

We hold up the marines like its the gold standard of the armed forces, but really – its just college age kids, who think stupid college things. Occasionally.

triple on October 11, 2007 at 8:48 PM

Better up close picture.

Kokonut on October 11, 2007 at 9:02 PM

Phony as a case of baloney.

A real Marine (or member any other branch… RA here) would know that it is against the regs to do this.

profitsbeard on October 11, 2007 at 9:05 PM

profitsbeard on October 11, 2007 at 9:05 PM

That is for certain.

baldilocks on October 11, 2007 at 9:07 PM

triple on October 11, 2007 at 8:48 PM

Here is a word of advice for your family. Try procreating with someone who is not a relative. Occasionally.

Wade on October 11, 2007 at 9:11 PM

Alright, people. Let’s review what we know here.

What we see in these pictures is of a human caucasian male, holding a twoofer sign and wearing what appears (to non-military hominids like me) to be a US Marine Corps Dress uniform.

Where in the hell do you get “It’s a Marine!”?????

Haven’t you ever seen a Star Trek movie? Do you really believe there are Federation officers walking around, just because you saw one in uniform?!

Okay. Don’t answer that.

I had the same problem with Xena and Wonder Woman.

thejackal on October 11, 2007 at 9:14 PM

Hey wade, sorry to break your impression that the marines are freaking superheroes and not real people with real opinions.

triple on October 11, 2007 at 9:20 PM

LOL at his myspace page.

Check out this picture of some of his friends that are listed:

SillyRyno on October 11, 2007 at 10:09 PM

My father in law served with Chesty in Korea; he (my father in law) was such a humble and kind man, yet tough, strong, smart.

When we would ask him what he did to get his Bronze Star w/ V device, he said he got it for “writing reports” (you can only get a V in a combat situation, as I understand it). He never bragged, never used his years in the Corps and Reserve to impress anyone, get anything, push an agenda. He was up front, honest, loyal and dedicated to his country, his family, and vocation (teaching). I am so proud of him, so glad I got to know him. A rare man, a rare human being.

My father in law who I think of when I think of a Marine.

Maybe ‘Johnny Wave’ has served as a Marine; many have. But you have to think… would Chesty ever have done anything like this?

linlithgow on October 11, 2007 at 10:19 PM

SEMPER FI to all those who wore Marine dress blues!

ahhh, memories. 35 years ago to the day, October 11, 1972, I wore my dress blues as platoon guide, and marched as Platoon and Series Honorman on the grinder at MCRD San Diego.

It’s the last time they fit well,, couldn’t fit in ‘em today if I tried.

As to this imposter in the photos, the blanket party lamp is lit.

normsrevenge on October 11, 2007 at 11:51 PM

Send him down here to San Diego. I’m sure there’s a bunch of real Marines and Sailors, myself included, that would like to have a few words (and other things) with him.

ic1redeye on October 11, 2007 at 11:51 PM

the blanket party lamp is lit.

Heh.

baldilocks on October 12, 2007 at 12:44 AM

Why wasn’t he arrested. You were ther busy taking his photo. I am sure you could have taken time out of your busy day to call the FBI.

oldelpasoan on October 12, 2007 at 12:45 AM

President Bush signed the Stolen Valor Act into law last December. It prohibits people from claiming military service, rank, and honors to which they are not entitled and allows for criminal prosecution for violations.

I recommend that next November 11 (Veterans Day!), presuming that he’ll be present and in uniform, that somebody who is an active duty marine, preferably a SGT or an officer, approach him and demand to see his id.

There will be 3 possible scenarios.

1. He’s phony-baloney. Refer his case to the US Attorney for violation of the Stolen Valor Act.

2. He’s active duty or reserve. Refer his case to JAG for violating the UCMJ by wearing his uniform as a political advocate.

3. He’s not active duty, nor reserve, but a former marine.
As I recall, he must still have permission to wear his uniform on the street for events other than a formal ceremony. Of course I could be wrong on that.

But if he is a former marine, perhaps some other marines need to have a few words about dishonoring the uniform with him.

Since they hold their protests on the 11th of each month, I can think of NO GREATER INSULT to our serving military and EVERY veteran, living or dead, than for a person to be impersonating a US Marine, on VETERAN’S DAY, as part of a political protest.

I hope “Johnny Wave” is confronted next month by real marines. If he is phony, I hope he is taken immediately into custody and prosecuted. If he is real, I hope his discharge is “other than honorable”, preferably “dishonorable.” And if he gets to serve some time in the brig, so much the better.

You don’t have to be a Marine to feel total outrage about this. You just need to be a patriot.

georgej on October 12, 2007 at 2:18 AM

It’ll be on Americas Funniest Videos, if some real Marines catch him

Chuck on October 12, 2007 at 3:33 AM

His ribbons are the following:

Top row: Combat Action Ribbon, Navy PUC, (unknown)
Second row: NDSM, Armed Forces Expeditionary, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon

The outboard ribbon on the top row doesn’t fit the relative coloring of any decorations that fall between the PUC and the NDSM, with the exception of the Joint Meritorious Unit Award, and the border of that ribbon would make it seem smaller in a low-res pic. It is either an out-of-sequence ribbon like the Iraq Campaign Medal (in which case he’d have quite a few others earned along with it), or it’s an other-service ribbon, which isn’t uncommon. The missing gloves and missing bronze button-caps on his cover suggest that he isn’t wearing a proper uniform, although the jacket fits correctly at the shoulders, sleeves, and is the right length.

Freelancer on October 12, 2007 at 4:56 AM

He’s a pogey bait puke.

A big Semper Fi to the rest of you Jarheads from an old 3rd MARDIV Marine.

DoctorDentons on October 12, 2007 at 6:26 AM

I’m sure the “towns” around Marine bases are par to the ones around most Army bases. Pawn shops, used car lots and surplus stores reign supreme. With a little research and money any asshat can become a BX/PX hero.

But there’s no thing these asshats can’t buy in the BX/PX, and that’s Honor. And sadly thats what these wannabes need the most.

Spiff sends regards
MSG, USA (RET) 78-01
.- / .-. / — / -.– .-. / ..- / .-.. / . / …

SPIFF1669 on October 12, 2007 at 9:13 AM

The epitome of a ‘Phony Soldier’.

No respect for the uniform-a punishable offense for a real Marine (or other military member) to demonstrate in uniform.

Another punishable offense-if the military did not give it to you you can not wear it as part of the uniform-cowboy boots are not standard issue.

A close up of the buttons would tell you if he was a true demonstrator-the buttons would be worn upside down are the trademark of a true demonstrator as well as a person who has no respect for himself, his family, community, or country.

The demonstration obviously did not take place near a recruiter. If it was the Shore Patrol or other military police would have escorted him from the scene. He would not be charged with any violation of the constitution, because the military upholds the constitution.

He would face a long list of violations of the UCMJ, which is the ultimate rule of law and discipline. Such as conduct unbecoming, a laundry list of uniform violations, and others designed to maintain good order and discipline.

MSGTAS on October 12, 2007 at 10:53 AM

He’s a pogey bait puke.

A big Semper Fi to the rest of you Jarheads from an old 3rd MARDIV Marine.

DoctorDentons on October 12, 2007 at 6:26 AM

Theres a term I haven’t heard in over 20 years! Semper Fi back at ya. Spent two years with 3d MarDiv – pulled a lot of liberty in Kinville and consumed more than my share of Suntory…

jdawg on October 12, 2007 at 11:28 AM

Wade on October 11, 2007 at 9:11 PM

ROFL! oh, thank you for that~

bridgetown on October 12, 2007 at 2:14 PM

Jealousy thy name is triple….. oh as for pogie bait? My wife always laughs when I use the term, even to this day. My cardiologist says it’s a no – no…..lol

MNDavenotPC on October 12, 2007 at 2:26 PM

MNDavenotPC on October 12, 2007 at 2:26 PM

lol! My wife hates it when we go out to eat, I usually have my dinner finished in, like 30 – 45 seconds flat while she’s still on her salad. Some habits are just impossible to break.

jdawg on October 12, 2007 at 2:40 PM

Ditto what MSGTAS said.

This waste of oxygen is an f’ing disgrace. I’d love to see him face to face with a real Marine (or any other servicemember) while wearing that uniform, carrying those “I’m Bats**t Crazy” signs.

She said, “I almost punched him in the face”.

I’m sure the only reason she didn’t is because she was outnumbered by mentally ill troofers who have absolutely no dignity or sense of reality. I’d wanna smash his f’ing face in with a brick, but it’d probably not be wise in that situation. (I’d be honored to go to jail after doing it, though.)

God, these scum make me SICK.

bamapachyderm on October 12, 2007 at 8:17 PM

Freelancer:

on his cover

Ha! I haven’t heard that one used in at least a decade! :)

bamapachyderm on October 12, 2007 at 8:20 PM

ALLAH:
Looks like he says he’s IRR.

I purposely pushed the envelope by wearing my uniform, knowing that I was still under contract of the Marine Corps’ IRR. But it was a statement that had to be made, and I look forward to making it again. Something that I wanted you all to know is the reactions I received from every astonished service member after they calmed down. The first person to walk up and tell me this movement would leave a black mark on my life, later admitted that he agreed with more of our beliefs than he could admit. (Air Force Officer) The second Marine simply told me “you can’t do this yet.” …yet. The third Marine took my number and later called me with two other Marine Corps Officers to inform me that I was facing a dishonorable discharge, but also saying that I was an outstanding individual and more people needed to voice their opinions to stop this war. The fourth Lt. Col. actually gave me ideas to continue this march after three 9/11Truthers jumped down his throat in protection of our 1st Amendment.

I call BS.