Rudy to speak at dinner honoring Dobson?

posted at 10:44 am on October 10, 2007 by Bryan

Actually, I hope that this is true.

Oct. 20, 2007: The Family Research Council honors Dr. James Dobson in Washington DC. The event will caps the second annual Washington Briefing on values voter summit sponsored by FRC Action, Focus on the Family Action, American Values, and the Alliance Defense Fund. GOP Presidential candidate Rudy Guiliani (R-N.Y.) is scheduled to speak.

It’s an opportunity for both Dobson and Giuliani to reach out to each other and to each other’s supporters. It’s the kind of opportunity that gets missed all too often.

Update: No, but kinda.

UPDATE: I’m told by FRC that Giuliani will be addressing the summit, but he was not invited to speak at the gala honoring Dobson.

Comments

I just needed to be held.

tomas on October 10, 2007 at 10:48 AM

First Whoopi, now this?

I think my head is going to explode!

What’s next……Ted Kennedy apologizing for Chappaquiddick?

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on October 10, 2007 at 10:51 AM

Rudy just needs to make sure that he kisses Dobson’s ass ring with the proper degree of pucker.

ReubenJCogburn on October 10, 2007 at 10:51 AM

Mcguyver on October 10, 2007 at 10:51 AM

If Giuliani’s not already making quiet overtures to Dobson, he’s foolish. He doesn’t need to kiss a ring or anything else. He just needs to keep the coalition together to have a fighting chance.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on October 10, 2007 at 10:59 AM

So Rudy says “Hey, Dobson, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know.” And Dobson says, “Oh, uh, you won’t get our support, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness.” So Rudy’s got that goin’ for him, which is nice.

there it is on October 10, 2007 at 10:59 AM

It’s an opportunity for both Dobson and Giuliani to reach out to each other and to each other’s supporters. It’s the kind of opportunity that gets missed all to often.

They can reach out, but Dobson is not going to change his views.

The question is how relevant Dobson’s influence is.

In reality, the primaries is the time to hold strong to any views – minus the third party threat – then stick to the candidate that favors your views the closest in the general election.

Let the strongest candidate win the primary.

Mcguyver on October 10, 2007 at 11:02 AM

Don’t mean to nitpick Bryan but that last setence should read “all too often”.

aengus on October 10, 2007 at 11:04 AM

People should do this more often. Healthy debate.

On an unrelated note, as of 0833 CST my Wii was “with delivery courier” 2 hours south of my town. I’m very giddy.

BadgerHawk on October 10, 2007 at 11:14 AM

there it is on October 10, 2007 at 10:59 AM

Heh.

“There will be no money”…

Jaibones on October 10, 2007 at 11:16 AM

The reason Republicans lost seats in the 2006 election is not the Iraq War. That galvanized the left’s base, but the CONSERVATIVES stayed home.

The Republican party still doesn’t recognize that it is supposed to be the conservative party. If you don’t put up a Conservative, you are going to lose AGAIN because people want to vote FOR someone, not AGAINST someone.

Rudy wanted to be a part of this program because all of the other CONSERVATIVE political candidates and pundits will be there. Once he realized that, he said, oh, maybe I should be there too. He’s not a leader.

Rudy is trying to take advantage of a situation where he hopes to become President based on the fact that people don’t like the other candidate ‘Hillary’. Even if Dobson supports Rudy, Rudy will lose to Hillary. Two candidates to choose from from one of the three most liberal states in the Union does not give conservatives much to hope for.

Again, Dobson has said he will not under any circumstances vote for McCain either. But McCain does better in the polls vs Hillary than Rudy does. So much for Dobson’s ‘influence’.

Again, just because Rudy is ahead in the popular vote means nothing to the electoral college. He might get 100% in NY, CA, IL, and 0% in the rest of the country and he’d still be ‘ahead in the polls’ – but he’d lose in a landslide.

Dobson is not Rudy’s problem. Rudy is Rudy’s problem.

ThackerAgency on October 10, 2007 at 11:17 AM

By the way, and just for the record: I am a profoundly conservative Christian, and yes, even on most social issues, and Dobson means nothing to me. He can go vote for Evo Morales if he wants, but I’m with the GOP nominee, even if it’s Ron Paul.

Ok, maybe not if it’s Ron Paul…

Jaibones on October 10, 2007 at 11:18 AM

Nothing wrong with Dobson trying to push the candidates rightward. We’ll see what he says a few months before the election, not a year before. Maybe he already tried to talk to Giuliani privately and got rebuffed. Who knows.

JiangxiDad on October 10, 2007 at 11:20 AM

I agree Thacker, Rudy is Rudy’s problem, he won’t even carry NY. Mitt, McCain & for sure Paul have too much baggage. Huckabee, Brownback – names don’t cut it; Duncan seems Presidential; Tommy T a great VP; that leaves Fred; some baggage – campaign staff, etc. Fred needs to be smoother, more polish that will come on the stump with prepared speeches. Did I leave anyone out? We’re stuck with what we got now, no more candidates on the horizon. I’m hoping Fred WILL wake up the Repub voters. Get them out and voting. I hate the ‘voting against’ business, but I can’t, and I don’t think the country can take any more of Hillary & Willy.

countywolf on October 10, 2007 at 11:33 AM

Rudy should show up in drag. It would go as well as his cell phone gag with Judith.

Valiant on October 10, 2007 at 11:50 AM

Dobson wants to be the third party candidate. He has a raging case of megolamania.

peacenprosperity on October 10, 2007 at 11:50 AM

They can reach out, but Dobson is not going to change his views.

Dobson only has to look back at Perot to see what third party candidates give to the US. Dobson needs to consider that the fascists in the democrat party have no problem with abortion and the fascists in islam don’t like it but have a bunch of nastier policies we would have to deal with.

peacenprosperity on October 10, 2007 at 12:18 PM

One of these days Dobson will be caught in an airport restroom stall. The guy just seems like a creep.

roninacreage on October 10, 2007 at 3:19 PM

First of all, Dobson is by no stretch of the imagination..”a creep.” You may disagree with him all you wish, but he has led a stellar life. He never took one dime form “Focus on The Family,” which could have made him very very rich. He lived off the profits from his child rearing books, and GREAT books they are. I wouldn’t have made it with these four kids without his books. His personal life is above reproach. His children are wonderful people too. He has lived a modest life. He is no egomanaic.

I am sick of Dobson bashing. He isn’t a preacher you know. And when he wrote his books, he knew some stuff. He was an Associate Clinical Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Southern California School of Medicine for fourteen years. He spent seventeen years on the staff of the Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles in the Division of Child Development and Medical Genetics.

Dobson has a right to fight for what social conservatives believe. He has as much of a right as anyone else. No, he won’t change his mind because neither will Rudy.

Rightwingsparkle on October 10, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Dobson is a kind and generous Christian and I’m tired of you morons that know nothing of the man trashing him! You have never heard him speak, have never listened to his program, don’t know all the wonderful things he does for people. You parrot what the lamestream media says and you think you’re “smart”… C’mon! Have an independent thought will you? I’m so sick of democratic and CBS, CNN, MSNBC, NBC, PBS talking points! Think for yourselves for a change! Think about this…you die tonight. What’s going to happen to you? You have an eternal soul and need to deal with the fact that you reject God and his Son Jesus Christ! That is the real story!

sabbott on October 10, 2007 at 3:54 PM

Dobson has a right to fight for what social conservatives believe.

He is fighting for something. He will do one of two things, make a deal with the eventual candidate to get what he really wants or he will deliver the country to Hillary on a silver platter. I don’t find either senario particularly honorable. I abhor abortion and think a civilized nation would not condone the casual use of such a brutal practice. However, as someone else said around here, my freedom is more important then your faith. There are more issues on the table then abortion and the most important is the freedom of my children.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. Seems like he is deluded in his perception of his power.

peacenprosperity on October 10, 2007 at 4:05 PM

…and leave the handle sticking out.

GAWD I love country music.

seejanemom on October 10, 2007 at 5:19 PM

:::::sniffsniff::::

Jane smells a Jacksonian Shake-Down Machine coming ’round the bend.

Come to think of it, old James Dobson and Ross Perot dOOooo bear a striking resemblance, no?

seejanemom on October 10, 2007 at 5:22 PM

:::::::ring:::::::

:::::::ring:::::::

:::::::RIIIING:::::::

GOD: Um, Rudy…..NO, RUDOLPHO this is NOT Judykins, this is the Living Lord…. I’m calling to tell you that you better turn off this phone and give the Frozen Chosen there in the audience your undivided butt-smooching, altar boy attention because I have no plans to allow you and that Dobson fellow to screw this up for Me. It is My Will that this Nation, under Me, will be spared the Hell of another Clinton Presidency.

Besides I have a bet going with Lucifer. He says Hillary sweeps it by 8% because you boobs on the Right can’t get your heads out of your asses AND WIN THIS ELECTION ON THOSE VALUES I WENT TO GREAT TROUBLE AND BLOODSHED TO HAVE WRITTEN DOWN FOR YOU.

Rudy. Baby. Help ME, help YOU, help the GOP.

seejanemom on October 10, 2007 at 5:56 PM

Look at the pictures on the link… they’re the same guy.

Griz on October 10, 2007 at 6:06 PM

I think half of you Dobson-hating writers are Dems posing as Reps, & the other half are witless sheep. Dobson has done nothing wrong except disagree with you, & you (& you, AP), spew hatred & stupid jokes at his expense.

jgapinoy on October 11, 2007 at 1:05 AM