Video: Fred clashes with Matthews, one-liners fly

posted at 6:41 pm on October 9, 2007 by Allahpundit

All right, a little grab bag for you here to polish off the highlights. It starts with what J-Pod calls the most “blatant act of obnoxious misbehavior during a debate” he’s ever seen and the long, awkward silence that ensues, then segues into the candidates’ dusting off some prefab zingers as the clock runs out. Fred did well here, especially in parrying Mitt’s “Law & Order” thrust. Like MK says, not a great performance but good enough overall.

Link: sevenload.com

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’d say a push or a draw. Fred did fine. All the candidates did okay. This was the sixth, and hardly the last. It was much better than I expected with Chrissy involved. Looking forward to the next.

countywolf on October 9, 2007 at 6:46 PM

First off, thanks for not using YouTube.

My work server does not block SevenLoad.

More comments after I view the clip. :)

JayHaw Phrenzie on October 9, 2007 at 6:46 PM

FRED!! rocks

gberez on October 9, 2007 at 6:47 PM

I like Matthews getting pawned like that. I concur. Good, not great from Fred.

Spirit of 1776 on October 9, 2007 at 6:47 PM

FRED is the man.

TheSitRep on October 9, 2007 at 6:48 PM

Matthews and his Hillary cackle. Like chalkboard and
fingernails.

Texyank on October 9, 2007 at 6:49 PM

Matthews just needs to be slapped. What a partisan goon.

bbz123 on October 9, 2007 at 6:50 PM

What did Fred say? “No one asked for your opinion, Christopher.” ???

jaime on October 9, 2007 at 6:51 PM

Fred’s got personality and you got to love how he handles himself.

But, I saw nothing that changes my opinion of Rudy being the only choice for victory.

Fred for VP!!!

JayHaw Phrenzie on October 9, 2007 at 6:52 PM

Dear God, Matthews just makes me ill. Spit!

wccawa on October 9, 2007 at 6:54 PM

I love Rudy’s line: Canadians will have no where to go.. Fred! and Rudy hands down ran away with this. Mitt got the pie in the face by Fred when he tried to get up on him. Mitt the best actor in the room. He also got smacked down trying to attack Rudy. He stuck himself in between Ron Paul and the Tank for cantakerousness. Not a good spot to put yourself in I would think.

Sultry Beauty on October 9, 2007 at 6:55 PM

I’ve not been much of a Fred head but he hit the last pitch out the park, “It was getting a little boring without me” a good note to end on

abinitioadinfinitum on October 9, 2007 at 6:55 PM

Matthews Just Crossed an Unimaginable Line [John Podhoretz]

As moderator, Chris Matthews intruded himself into the proceedings following a Fred Thompson answer on a possible Chrysler strike by saying that Fred Thompson went on too long and would have been better off just saying “No” and stopping there. I’ve never seen such a blatant act of obnoxious misbehavior during a debate.

I am absolutely shocked.

Hawkins1701 on October 9, 2007 at 6:57 PM

I think, other than Paul, everyone did as well as they could with those idiots moderating this forum!

Pam on October 9, 2007 at 6:58 PM

Matthews, Own3d!

americaslaststand on October 9, 2007 at 7:02 PM

That is the key Pam, I wish we could have one with people the caliber of Michelle asking actual questions that matter, really matter, of both party’s candidates.

bbz123 on October 9, 2007 at 7:03 PM

I like Matthews getting pawned like that.
Spirit of 1776 on October 9, 2007 at 6:47 PM

Like that’s hard to do…? LOL

SouthernGent on October 9, 2007 at 7:04 PM

I didn’t know Larry King was so tall, and why was he up there with the other Republican candidates?

tommylotto on October 9, 2007 at 7:06 PM

JayHaw Phrenzie on October 9, 2007 at 6:52 PM

No 2nd amendment questions then?

Kowboy on October 9, 2007 at 7:08 PM

Like that’s hard to do…? LOL
SouthernGent on October 9, 2007 at 7:04 PM

True, but I still enjoy it:)

Spirit of 1776 on October 9, 2007 at 7:11 PM

It was kind of like an umpire whispering in a managers ear that he hopes they lose.
As for Matthews asking Fred! who the Prime Minister was, that was Matthews way of emphasizing to the crowd that Freds dumb as a box of rocks. Jackass.

malkinmania on October 9, 2007 at 7:22 PM

I thought Fred did great and held his own just fine. I thought that most of the top tier candidates did well. I really do like Duncan Hunter!!!!!!!

With that said……Ron Paul is an dolt and must go! Good bitch slap from Rudy!!!!!

Winebabe on October 9, 2007 at 7:23 PM

I like Matthews getting pawned like that.
Spirit of 1776 on October 9, 2007 at 6:47 PM

Didnt some blog somewhere say they’d like to see someone take a shot at matthews ?

Not naming any names

William Amos on October 9, 2007 at 7:23 PM

What is Giuliani whining about education for? Didn’t he hear Bush tell us the other day that “childrens do learn”?

Come on Rudy, give his “chance a plan to work”

RightWinged on October 9, 2007 at 7:24 PM

It is so funny and soooo obvious that Romney couldn’t wait to use his “gothcha” line on Fred and Fred just (without having all week to plan it) smacked Romney right in the face with it!!!!!
Go Ge’em Fred!!!!

Nelsa on October 9, 2007 at 7:25 PM

Chris Matthews is the south end of a north bound horse.

He didn’t like the Conservative answer Fred! gave, so greatly lacking in class Chris sniped at him just like the laxative intellectual he is.

Moderators all over the world are almost envious.

Speakup on October 9, 2007 at 7:30 PM

I’m from Canada, and Fred remembered our Prime Minister’s name faster than me.

Giuliani’s right about Canada’s southern health care, by the way. I went to Maryland for my CT scan because I didn’t feel like waiting 3 months for it. No exaggeration.

dave_lantos on October 9, 2007 at 7:35 PM

Chris Matthews is a stooge.

eanax on October 9, 2007 at 7:38 PM

Who knew Fred! was an Eminem fan…

Now this looks like a job for me so everybody just follow me
cuz we need a little controversy,
cuz it feels so empty without me

E L Frederick (Sniper One) on October 9, 2007 at 7:43 PM

okay y’all- now just watch all the lovin’up on Rudy that the MSNBC commentators- Libs all- are doin’ as soon as the ‘debate’ finished. “Why Chris I would definitely HAVE to say that this was Rudy’s night. Poor stupid ole’Fred really dic*ed it up again.”

NOW honestly- WHO do you think the lefties WANT to run against Hillary? Rudy baby! Rudy in a dress, Rudy in Gay Pride parades, Rudy of the open-border illegal amnesty city! Hel* they can make Hillary look CONSERVATIVE compared to Rudy!

Ex-tex on October 9, 2007 at 7:44 PM

Rudy and Fred make the cut, the rest are just wasting time.

tarpon on October 9, 2007 at 7:44 PM

Fred: “Well, that’s your opinion Christopher.”

Dead silence. Perfect. Like a Grandfather scolding his grandson…

eanax on October 9, 2007 at 7:50 PM

Fred: “Well, that’s your opinion Christopher.”

Close to dead silence. Perfect. Like a Grandfather scolding his grandson…

eanax on October 9, 2007 at 7:50 PM

There, better.

eanax on October 9, 2007 at 7:54 PM

At least Fred could hear the questions. What was up with McCain? I like McCain but that was strange that he was the only one that could not hear the questions.

Rumors will pobably be all over the Blogosphere about that…..

Nelsa on October 9, 2007 at 8:07 PM

If you recall, Fred also referred to “Michael” Moore during his vignette on Sicko.

Captain America on October 9, 2007 at 8:13 PM

Fred Did Good.

Complete7 on October 9, 2007 at 8:20 PM

I’ll take Canadian Prime Ministers for $200 Alex.

infidel4life on October 9, 2007 at 8:32 PM

Funny highlites. Thanks!

No substance, but funny.

Kini on October 9, 2007 at 8:39 PM

Guilani’s line about Canadians having no place to go for health care if we adopt Hillarycare was the best line.

Mallard T. Drake on October 9, 2007 at 8:55 PM

Man, this really summed up what a sniveling pile of doody Matthews really is doesn’t it?

SouthernDem on October 9, 2007 at 9:00 PM

So Fred lays the smack down, not once, not twice but three times. Once on Romney, twice on Matthews. Pretty much makes him the clear winner.

doriangrey on October 9, 2007 at 9:04 PM

Everybody, including Fred’s own site, says that he said “That’s your opinion, Chris”. That makes him sound like a pansy.

What he clearly said was “Noone asked your opinion, Christopher”, which is dismissive, diminishing, and awesome, so why would they put an incorrect quote.

DaveS on October 9, 2007 at 9:06 PM

Matthews = D-bag

bigbeas on October 9, 2007 at 9:14 PM

Matthews, spitting again. Matthews is a slimy spitball.

Fred did good.

coleporter on October 9, 2007 at 9:18 PM

When do we get to see Matthews RIP

Kini on October 9, 2007 at 9:21 PM

Well done Fred. Just like the nutroots agrument for ‘Global Warming’… “the overwhelming evidence and the unanimous scientific community’s agreement proves Fred can and will be president.

Griz on October 9, 2007 at 9:22 PM

DaveS on October 9, 2007 at 9:06 PM

You are correct! Thanks. I did not hear that until I went back and listened to it again…

I though he said, “That’s your opinion Christopher.”

Nelsa on October 9, 2007 at 9:49 PM

DaveS on October 9, 2007 at 9:06 PM

I just listened to the audio again, three times, and Fred Thompson said: “Well, that’s your opinion Christopher.”

Listen to it yourself – again. The dismissive part is calling him Christopher. It’s a subtle way to tell him to shut up.

eanax on October 9, 2007 at 9:51 PM

If Fred Thompson had said: “No one asked your opinion, Christopher” the media would be ALL over it.

A headline would be: Fred Verbally Attacks Matthews

Or something like that. It would be all over Drudge. It’s not…

eanax on October 9, 2007 at 9:56 PM

I think Fred did a good job. I also loved Rudy’s line about Canadians not having to anywhere to go for healthcare if Hillary gets her way. But Fred is my pick.

StephC on October 9, 2007 at 10:00 PM

I heard “No one asked your opinion, Christopher” too.

CrimsonFisted on October 9, 2007 at 10:03 PM

I admit it. I can’t tell by the audio from the video link above what Fred actually said to Christopher. Either way, the implication is the same just more or less of a strong retort..

Nelsa on October 9, 2007 at 10:12 PM

Fred did well. Smack down is what we need. A fighter that takes on the left’s lies and smears. Bush is such a *ussy. bush should have been out front for 8 years smacking the crap out of these “fake” reporters, the dems lies about the economy etc. Instead we got mister “unitier” can I get my money back? the show for the last 8 years sucked.

unseen on October 9, 2007 at 10:14 PM

I think Fred did a great job. He was relaxed, easy with the audience and host, knowledgeable about the subjects and witty where Matthews inane comments came through. A winner over all. Only Rudy came close with his Canadian health care comment. But that was only close. Thompson won it all in my humble opinion.

Neocon Peg on October 9, 2007 at 10:44 PM

P.S. I think most of the GOP forerunners are wary of Fred Thompson. Personality wise, maybe not, but politically, I do see it. JMHO.

Neocon Peg on October 9, 2007 at 10:47 PM

What a surprise. No one switched their opinion about their choice. Everyone saw what they wanted.

Bradky on October 9, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Fred said, “No one asked your opinion, Christopher”, that’s the reason for the long pause by CM… biting his tongue, deciding whether to “go rip” as he promoted his reaction would be to just such a retort and/or accusation of slant. CM is a wimp, scumbag. The opitimy of Wash, DC. media today. So dam bias and corrupt and so dam deep in denial… infectous victims of their own complete lack of character.

Griz on October 9, 2007 at 10:52 PM

I didn’t see the debate tonight, but from the vid above, it appears Fred held his own. However, with Spitball commentator Chris Matthews on stage I’m not certain that’s a difficult feat – even for Fred. Seems like Mitt came off a bit shallow, and thank you for sparing us the mindless, rambling thoughts of Ron Paul.

thedecider on October 9, 2007 at 10:58 PM

Bradky on October 9, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Well you cant blame us for hoping that eventually come to your senses.

doriangrey on October 9, 2007 at 11:07 PM

heard “No one asked your opinion, Christopher” too.

CrimsonFisted on October 9, 2007 at 10:03 PM

Same here. Nice to see Fred give him a bit of a slap after such egregious behavior by Matthews, who was supposed to be acting impartially. Asking who the Prime Minister of Canada was clearly an attempt at a “gotcha” moment in an addition to portray Thompson as someone who wouldn’t know.

Just watched the debate in it’s entirety- Fred did good. Begrudgingly, I have to admit that Rudy was very good; he somehow managed not to mention NYC and 9/11 in every answer. McCain was decent but who cares.

Romney… I thought his delivery was good, but his message stunk- he fulfilled the pandering, slickster stereotype far too well. He came out of the gate suggesting he was in favor of corporate welfare (“investing” as he put it) for the auto industry in order to pander to Michigan voters. He went on to suggest the government has a role in bailing out those facing home forclosure (again framed around Michigan) and supported agriculture subsidies- a pander to Iowa. How can you be for lower spending when you’re in favor of corporate welfare, government programs for those who don’t pay their mortgage, and ag subsidies???

He also lost to Rudy on the line item veto argument. The line item veto might be constitutional in Michigan, but as much as I’d like to see a line item veto at the federal level, Rudy was correct that the version Clinton had was unconstitutional.

Fred handled Romney’s light-hearted jab well, laughing with the joke and with a nice comeback that subtlely touched on Romney’s rather plastic, scripted persona.

Fred and Hunter had a little back and forth, with Hunter being more protectionist but without any major disagreements or sparks between them.

Hollowpoint on October 9, 2007 at 11:34 PM

a technology comment…

The sevenload videos are S L O O O O O O W!

desertdweller on October 9, 2007 at 11:34 PM

I like Huckabee and think he is the most conservative and consistent. If he doesn’t get the nomination I hope Fred does. McCain is too old and apparently hard of hearing. Giuliani doesn’t stand for anything I do except for defense. Ron Paul reminds me of that kid in school who was always whining and saying “that’s not fair” as he storms off…Romney is too fake for me and the others just don’t get on the radar…

CCRWM on October 9, 2007 at 11:40 PM

thedecider on October 9, 2007 at 10:58 PM

Mitt would’ve done himself a favor by being more shallow instead of coming out in favor of corporate welfare for the auto industry, bailouts for homeowners facing foreclosure, and ag subsidies. And of course his lame “sit down with lawyers” before deciding if the Commander In Chief can actually use military force.

Rudy nailed him on the line item veto discussion, pointing out that a strict constructionist (which I’m not confident Rudy is) wouldn’t support an unconstitutional law, which the line item veto was, no matter how well Mitt liked his version back in Taxachussets.

Hollowpoint on October 9, 2007 at 11:42 PM

Hollowpoint on October 9, 2007 at 11:42 PM

Since I didn’t see the debate, I’ll take your word for it. To this stage in the game, I seem to consistently favor Rudy over Mitt and I’m still disgusted with “yawn of the fred”. The LIV is not a bad thing if written and practiced correctly. I seem to recall Rudy saying just about the same thing in the vid above.

thedecider on October 9, 2007 at 11:51 PM

Bradky on October 9, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Bradsky’s a psychic, now. Hoo hah! Truth be told, I was for Fred before the debate, and now all I want to do is choke the living sh*t out of Chris Mattews. Rudy has the cojones to bring the teacher cabal to heel. He ate special interests for breakfast while he was mayor of NYC. So now I’m more undecided. Any other pearls of wisdom, Bradsky?

smellthecoffee on October 10, 2007 at 12:14 AM

smellthecoffee on October 10, 2007 at 12:14 AM

LOL even the psychics are not quite six sigma in all their predictions. You are the exception.

Bradky on October 10, 2007 at 12:44 AM

Bradky on October 9, 2007 at 10:51 PM

ON THE MONEY DOOD!
…On…the.. MONEY!

a technology comment…

The sevenload videos are S L O O O O O O W!

desertdweller on October 9, 2007 at 11:34 PM

Weil Das aus Deutschland Kommt! ;-)

-Wasteland Man.

WastelandMan on October 10, 2007 at 12:48 AM

Don’t dread the Fred people. He’s gonna make us proud.

Rudy had the best line about Canadian’s getting their health care here.

I know there are some doom and gloomers but we are SO gonna win in November.

Mojave Mark on October 10, 2007 at 1:33 AM

My boy Fred started off slow the first question but brought it on nicely afterward.

I love the Islamic-fascist answer. Brilliant!

20 year olds in the army know more then 20 year old veteran politicians. Brilliant!

msipes on October 10, 2007 at 1:50 AM

Thompson/Gulliani ’08 or Gulliani/Thompson ’08
Which sounds better?

I think it really is a winning ticket. They both have personality and can talk to the ppl. You have one that his strong point is being conservative on social issues while the other has a reputation of being strong on crime/terrorism, and both are not pro big government.

I didn’t get to watch the debate, as I was working and then off to a concert with Puddle of Mudd…Now they rocked :)

lsutiger on October 10, 2007 at 1:52 AM

Thompson/Gulliani ‘08 or Gulliani/Thompson ‘08
Which sounds better?

lsutiger on October 10, 2007 at 1:52 AM

Sorry, I just don’t think Rudy would permit a terrorist enabler to be on the same ticket as him. Remember Rudy told the Saudi prince after 9/11 to take his money and shove it. Fred, on the other hand, took money from Lybia to assist the Lockerbie bombers.

tommylotto on October 10, 2007 at 2:59 AM

Thompson/Gulliani ‘08 or Gulliani/Thompson ‘08
Which sounds better?

Ain’t gonna happen. Neither one’s ego would accept being VP.
I’m hoping for whoever gets the nomination to pick Hunter for VP.

He (Hunter) loves America more than himself and would accept the VP slot. Plus it would give him the exposure and name recognition he needs for the 2012 race.

LegendHasIt on October 10, 2007 at 4:06 AM

No ones going to pick Hunter – he’s a loony tune – the only reason he, Tancredo and Paul are invited to these debates is the MSM hopes they will embarass the Republican Party

EricPWJohnson on October 10, 2007 at 4:27 AM

I could see quite a few Dems coming over just from seeing that these guys all seem human and sane. I’d sure like to see a Fred-Rudy ticket… I think that even James Dobson would secretly vote for that, albeit with a held nose.

Rugged Individual on October 10, 2007 at 6:02 AM

Seems to me like Fred has kind of relaxed the field. They’re looser now, with the shots back and forth. This is gonna help. They will start to make the dems look like the pent up angry beatoffs they are. Our side has always looked too stiff. I like this.

Rudy should say something like…”Sen Clinton is out of sorts… her baseball team was knocked out in the first round of the playoffs, only problem is it the Cubs or the Yankees?”

Rudy ’08

Cubs suck

LtE126 on October 10, 2007 at 7:35 AM

the psychics are not quite six sigma . . .You are the exception.

Bradky on October 10, 2007 at 12:44 AM

That’s what the psychics always say. I’m always right, except in your case. Whatever. You weren’t surprised by Thompson’s performance? I was; he’s been dead from the neck up in most of his interviews. It’s the first we’ve seen of him in this kind of context, so how can you say that no one’s opinion could have changed? There’s enough cynicism about this process that’s warranted; gratuitous cynicism doesn’t add anything to the conversation.

smellthecoffee on October 10, 2007 at 8:41 AM

Fred’s weak rejoinder to Mitt’s pointed slap down is exactly the kind of nonsensical stuff we can expect from Fred until the day he drops out. It sounded good superficially, but it really had no context. This was a memorized response that Fred was waiting to use, but really had no logical connection to Mitt’s comment.

Just exactly how was Mitt’s jab a bit of acting? The answer is that it was not. Fred’s response was a pre-fab answer that he was told to use if someone said anything about his acting career. Considering the lameness of it, it was probably suggested by someone around 40 years old.

More of the same from Fred. Vague platitudes and very little substance.

He did have a couple of lucid moments that I thought were OK. His response to the Chrysler bail out was good. There were others, but in the end I have to say he barely survived and only did so on the inability of the pundits to recognize the vacuous of his words and their willingness to swoon over the emotional delivery of them. Fred has the acting part of Reagan down pat, the problem is he has no core conservative values that he can espouse and that was what Reagan really had.

While the other candidates are establishing credible policy positions, Fred is trying to win the election on one line zingers. They all need to do that, but in the end, when all the emotional smoke has cleared and rational minds reflect back, it will be Rudy and Mitt that will have established the bona fides (and support) that are required to actually BE worthy of the office.

csdeven on October 10, 2007 at 8:51 AM

Fred’s meandering horse crap answer about social security (national parks?) and his brain fart on the weak dollar question (dollar? what’s a dollar) are perfect examples of why Fred has tried to dumb down the expectations of his first debate.

Ya’ll remember back in the day when the majority opinion was that Fred was so much better than the rest of the candidates that he could wait until the last minute and would blow the rest of the field out of the water?

Bwahahahaha!!! Now they are satisfied that he merely survived.

Unless every person in America willingly suspends disbelief, Fred will have dropped out before too long.

csdeven on October 10, 2007 at 9:01 AM

Fred will have dropped out before too long.

csdeven on October 10, 2007 at 9:01 AM

Hope you like those words. You may end up eating them.

smellthecoffee on October 10, 2007 at 9:25 AM

No one asked for your opinion CSDEVEN!

TheSitRep on October 10, 2007 at 9:37 AM

Rudy’s line was super, I only wish Fred had said it.

TheSitRep on October 10, 2007 at 9:39 AM

Not one single applause for anything Fred had to say. Several times you could even hear the crickets chirping. Meanwhile, the quality candidates in Rudy, Mitt, Hunter, Huck, and Tanc, made very good points that in spite of the moderators demand to hold applause, the audience did so anyway.

It is complete buffoonery for Fred to substitute silly “gotcha” one liners for substantive discussion of the issues in factual context. It’s becoming clear that one liners is all that Fred has because he cannot discuss his support for terrorists and his scumbag lobbying activities.

csdeven on October 10, 2007 at 10:01 AM

Try to stick to the subject fella’s. The subject is Fred.

csdeven on October 10, 2007 at 10:03 AM

Hey CS — question for you. You may have answered it in another Fred thread, but if you did I surely missed it. If — this is hypothetical, mind you — If Fred wins the Republican nomination and Shrillary wins the Dhimmi nomination, who would you vote for? Just curious ya know…

lan astaslem on October 10, 2007 at 11:09 AM

lan astaslem on October 10, 2007 at 11:09 AM

Absolutely and with no reservations whatsoever.

csdeven on October 10, 2007 at 11:13 AM

Absolutely and with no reservations whatsoever.

csdeven on October 10, 2007 at 11:13 AM

Well that’s good to know! :-)

lan astaslem on October 10, 2007 at 11:22 AM

smellthecoffee on October 10, 2007 at 8:41 AM

You are one of the few who said they have changed their position. Gratuitous cynicism is appropriate. The discourse in these threads is far from analytical.

x: “Fred sucks”
y: “Mitt sucks more”
z: “Save Ron Paul, save the world!”

Bradky on October 10, 2007 at 12:47 PM

William Amos on October 9, 2007 at 7:23 PM

I apologize if I’m missing the obvious, but I’m afraid I don’t know what you are referring to.

Spirit of 1776 on October 10, 2007 at 1:17 PM

thedecider on October 9, 2007 at 11:51 PM

I’d like to see a line item veto too, but not at the expense of ignoring the Constitution when it suits us. All too often conservatives are in favor of a constructionist interpretation of the Constitution when it comes to abortion, but then are perfectly willing to ignore the Constitution to further their goals on other issues.

Both William Rehnquist and Clarence Thomas sided with the majority against it. If there’s a way to implement it that passes constitutional muster, then I’m all for it. Romney refused to acknowledge the problems with the original version of the LIV and lost to Rudy on that round.

Hollowpoint on October 10, 2007 at 2:12 PM

csdeven on October 10, 2007 at 8:51 AM
csdeven on October 10, 2007 at 9:01 AM
csdeven on October 10, 2007 at 10:01 AM

Did Fred scare your mother while she was pregnant with you?

soundingboard on October 10, 2007 at 2:41 PM

Try to stick to the subject fella’s. The subject is Fred.

csdeven on October 10, 2007 at 10:03 AM

Well, no. The subject is the debate.

That includes all the candidates.

Your Fred fixation is clouding your opinions.

Oh, and Fred did slap Mitt upside the head with his response to Mitt’s pre-packaged,canned, and rehearsed, Law & Order comment.

soundingboard on October 10, 2007 at 2:46 PM