Chris Matthews: Me, me, me, me, me, me

posted at 8:43 am on October 9, 2007 by Michelle

MSNBC’s spittle-flecked narcissist bemoans possible attacks on his impeccable fairness during tonight’s GOP presidential debate…while crossing his fingers that it really, really, does happen:

I try to be right. I don’t mind somebody saying I’m not fair — I try to be fair. … If someone says I’m not independent, it’s going to be very hard for me to bite my tongue. …

For twenty years I’ve paid the price of indepdendence. I’ve taken it from everybody … every night of my life for the past twenty years. …

If they accuse of me of being partisan, I’ll go rip! …

It’s not about me, it’s about them and who’s going to be president during these difficult times.

Gossip columnist Liz Smith’s gag reflex apparently is not in working order. She was “seduced” by this clown:

When Chris sat down to talk to me about his latest book, Life’s a Campaign, I felt I was in an electrified presence. He speaks in a rush, he looks around, and he has another appointment pressing. He’s a busy, in-demand, kind of guy.

He was teaching me something very valuable – what he calls “the art of seduction” – when his wife, Kathleen, joined us. And it worked; it was very effective – a method whereby the seducer keeps quiet, gazes unblinkingly into your eyes and persists in this listening pose. “I remember that look,” said Mrs. Matthews, who has been married to Chris for 27 years.

I remonstrated with Chris over the name of his book, saying that people who aren’t hot into politics might not be interested because of the title. He nodded, “Yes, I know. But I subtitled it What Politics Has Taught Me About Friendship, Rivalry, Reputation and Success.”

I had already read the book and found it a general primer for how to succeed in life by studying those around you. And it’s a whiz.

It’s a whiz! Cue that Chris Matthews’ cackle:

The Politico says all Fred Thompson has to do to meet low expectations at tonight’s debate is “not throw up.”

Not as easy as it sounds…

Comments

Matthews is nothing but a political parasite with no redeeming values. The Republicans should go after this moron and if he doesn’t like it then take him to the sawdust pit. The flaming ass and his flapping mouth are beyond disgust.

rplat on October 9, 2007 at 8:50 AM

When Matthews asks his first question, the entire Republican ensemble should exit stage left without so much as giving him the time of day.

Me, me, me? Yup, a legend in his own mind, and apparently in the minds of other liberal kool-aid drinkers like Liz Smith.

fogw on October 9, 2007 at 8:52 AM

his latest book, Life’s a Campaign

Life’s a Campaign… to be elected president of the He-Man Woman-Haters Club. Sadly, Geraldo’s not going down without a fight.

saint kansas on October 9, 2007 at 8:56 AM

Matthews is getting more coverage here than on his television show. Rumor is that he is so disgusting even the members of his immediate family refuse to watch.

volsense on October 9, 2007 at 9:01 AM

Partisan moronic flack.

Independent?

Yes. Independent of the truth.

drjohn on October 9, 2007 at 9:02 AM

Chris Matthews declared:

For twenty years I’ve paid the price of indepdendence.

Now I know some of you are not familiar with the word “indepdendence” so here is the dictionary definition:

indepdendence: in-dip-den-dens n. The quality or appearance of being a dip, esp. for twenty years or more. Ex: “Chris Matthews has shown his indepdendence quite a lot recently and this is expected to continue tonight.” Syn. twerp, putz, poophead, fartypants.

radjah shelduck on October 9, 2007 at 9:04 AM

It’s all about him. Forget the fact the public might want to hear from the candidates.

Is Olberdunce going to be at this as well>

JammieWearingFool on October 9, 2007 at 9:05 AM

For twenty years I’ve paid the price of indepdendence

What’s scary is he really believes it. He thinks he’s not biased.

trubble on October 9, 2007 at 9:13 AM

What’s scary is he really believes it. He thinks he’s not biased.

I wish I could find the quote, but when interviewed about his new show on MSNBC, Phil Donahue said something like, “Is James Carville a liberal? Is Paul Begala a liberal? I don’t think so.” He considered them “centrists.”

saint kansas on October 9, 2007 at 9:24 AM

if they accuse of me of being partisan, I’ll go rip!

Is rip a Chrissy euphemism for, piss my pants, kind of like he did when Zell called him out?

What a dork.

there it is on October 9, 2007 at 9:26 AM

Dissertations could be written on the self-delusion of MSM personalities. Amazing! These guys go Linda Blair whenever their objectivity is questioned and in the next breath pick up the BDS line where they left off. I retain not the least shred of respect for or trust in MSM outlets. HA and Townhall are my daily first stops for news.

mugged on October 9, 2007 at 9:28 AM

if they accuse of me of being partisan, I’ll go rip!

Oooooooh, Chrissy . . . you’re so scary. Jerk!

rplat on October 9, 2007 at 9:32 AM

If they accuse of me of being partisan, I’ll go rip! …

I’ve got my gas mask ready for Prissy Chrissy’s rips. Just as long as nobody strikes a match,….

steveegg on October 9, 2007 at 9:37 AM

MSNBC vs FOX

Opening up the Media Blog vault and reviewing the first GOP debate after having just watched the second was a revealing exercise. I think the MSNBC/Politico questions actually got stupider with age.

By contrast, the FOX News questions were serious and the questioners tenacious in pursuing answers. Even the questions that viewers submitted to FOX via e-mail were far better than “What do you dislike most about America?” and the other nonsense that got past the Politico’s electronic gatekeepers.

aunursa on October 9, 2007 at 9:39 AM

I never understood this man – No one watches his show – and then NBC gives him another forum for a love-in on Sunday. No one watches that show either. Now he writes a pop psychology self-improvement book and he is some sort of folk hero? Pulease help me understand this. The best I can figure is that he doesn’t get paid very much and after the book tour NBC will fire him!

iam7545 on October 9, 2007 at 9:47 AM

What’s scary is he really believes it. He thinks he’s not biased.

trubble on October 9, 2007 at 9:13 AM

Wrong! He knows what he is. He just enjoys being talked about and being in the spotlight no matter what anybody says about him. Kinda’ reminds me of the troll that says such horrible things about Fred!- likes the spotlight.

By the way – does anybody but me notice that Matthews acts like he might be back on the sauce?

OBX Pete on October 9, 2007 at 9:55 AM

I agree with you about the spotlight thing, but I really think he sees himself as objective. He sounds like he’s so deep in the left wing echo chamber that when he realizes he hates Bush it seems normal, because everyone he knows hates Bush.

trubble on October 9, 2007 at 10:03 AM

What a loser. On Fox & Friends this morning, they were saying that Maria Bartiromo isn’t particularly happy about co-hosting the debate with Matthews because it might reflect poorly on her. I do think she is a good and serious journalist, unlike Matthews. The F&F hosts said that Dan Abrams responded to accusations about Matthews by saying they take their talking points from the Republican Party. They all, of course, dismissed that notion as ridiculous.

CP on October 9, 2007 at 10:04 AM

Narcissistic liberal douchebaggery, thy name is Chris Matthews.

ReubenJCogburn on October 9, 2007 at 10:35 AM

MSNBC’s spittle-flecked narcissist

Nice turn of phrase. I snorted into my coffee when I read it.

Anton on October 9, 2007 at 10:42 AM

The man sounds as if he is channeling Dan Rather!

And, for the record, a “reporter” that all but had a Kerry/Edwards ’06 button on his lapel during the last Presidential election is only fooling himself if he thinks that he has always been fair. Zell Miller had the right idea about how such bastards should be dealt with.

highhopes on October 9, 2007 at 10:51 AM

I for one will watch NOTHING that krissy m hosts…NOTHING…

areseaoh on October 9, 2007 at 10:55 AM

I guess we’ll have to watch just to see how NOT to cunduct a debate. Maybe just the beginning, until we feel like puking on Chrissy.

countywolf on October 9, 2007 at 11:16 AM

Oh my God a hot shower….yuck. I find Matthews so shrill and annoying I can’t even make it through 5 minutes with him any more…unless Michelle is on and I know at least one person with a brass pair will be available for viewing

reagangirl on October 9, 2007 at 11:20 AM

if they accuse of me of being partisan, I’ll go rip!

R.I.P.? WTF are you talking about you little partisan hack?

Mazztek on October 9, 2007 at 11:26 AM

The spin masters are already at work making excuses for Fred’s poor showing!!!! Low expectations my a$$. He has played the field like he is some kind of hero coming in the 9th inning to save the day. If does anything but hit a homerun he is toast. The Fred friendly Rasmussen already has him behind again.

tommylotto on October 9, 2007 at 11:38 AM

We would all be better informed if you, Michelle, were conducting the proceedings at these debates.

Zorro on October 9, 2007 at 11:46 AM

PS – Chris Matthews is still a low rent punk. And that is his strong suit.

Zorro on October 9, 2007 at 11:48 AM

Accusing Chris Matthews of being “partisan” would be like accusing Bill Clinton of being a “Democrat”.

Some things are so self-evident they need no further comment or explanation.

landlines on October 9, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Once a jerk, always a jerk.

oldelpasoan on October 9, 2007 at 11:54 AM

In other news, a guy who “keeps quiet, gazes unblinkingly into your eyes and persists in this listening pose” can easily get laid.

That explains why Ted Bundy was such a catch for all the co-eds he was “seducing.”

ScottMcC on October 9, 2007 at 12:03 PM

This is one of the remaining examples of “Camelot”. Holy Cross secular education, good ‘ole boys of Massachusetts, corrupt, chauvinistic and a legend in his own mind.

Please don’t feed the exhibits, and let’s move along to the next cage.

Hening on October 9, 2007 at 12:03 PM

I will never forget what he did to Michelle Malkin in an interview…not partisan huh…I like ‘it will be like accusing mr hillary clinton of being a dem’…love that…

areseaoh on October 9, 2007 at 12:22 PM

Because it’s Chris Matthews hosting tonight’s GOP presidential debate, automatically puts it in the “wait till over to see the reviews and sound bytes” category.

So, I wait till you guys break it down for us. Meanwhile, I’ve got other crap on the TV to watch.

Can’t wait! Toodles!

Kini on October 9, 2007 at 12:49 PM

It’d be great if Thompson decided to push Matthews’ button tonight to make it interesting.

CP on October 9, 2007 at 1:18 PM

“And don’t be discounting Fred Thompson. A lot of people’s money is on him. Maybe he wouldn’t be so bad. As Will Rogers once said of Calvin Coolidge, ‘He didn’t do much, and we didn’t want him to do much!’ So, maybe it’s time for Thompson?”

I used to watch Chris years ago because he loves the games politics are. He’s been bds’d to the point of insanity lately and many, self included, gave up. However, he hasn’t lost it altogether and knows that the dems are not a given, much as he wished it to be so. If they win he’ll claim credit, if they don’t he’ll claim “independence”.

Entelechy on October 9, 2007 at 1:41 PM

CP on October 9, 2007 at 10:04 AM

offtopic:
I watched Dan Abrams snarking on Beat the Press about FoxNews being in the pocket of Republicans, which isn’t an altogether faulty premise. But then he had the nerve to use Brit Hume as his example – without mentioning Hume’s decades of experience at ABC and as senior White House correspondent.

RE: Chris Matthews
His laugh makes my bowels move.

The Race Card on October 9, 2007 at 3:38 PM

Liz Smith looks at Chris Matthews and sees Robert Redford from when Redford was the Sundance Kid. She actually thinks Matthews is some kind of ladykiller, a man no woman can resist. Yes this is the same Chris Matthews who stated on his program that “the problem with the neocons (read “The Jews”) is that they were never in street fights when they were kids”. In contrast, Matthews described himself as a tough kid from the mean streets of Boston who fought and clawed his way up the ladder from the urban jungles of Boston (yes, Boston!). In fact, Matthews grew up in a stable middle to upper class background in a very nice neighborhood of Boston. There is no evidence that he had to fight street toughs on his way to school. He was a Democratic Party functionary as a youngster and spent many years of Tip O’Neil’s payroll. Working for O’Neil, he learned all that he ever needed to know. Public sector jobs are to be doled out on the basis of who worked the hardest in the O’Neil campaigns and that jobs and public money belong to the local Democrats. Merit selection of public sector jobs? Tip and Matthews never heard of that? Doling out tax dollars on the basis of national need? Never hears of that either. Public sector money belongs to those who help the Democrat Party hacks in Boston. BTW, If Chris Matthews is the tough street kid he says he is, why did he shirk military service in VietNam for the fine pleasures of the Peace Corps? Lots of other kids from South Boston Chris’s edge served in VietNam while Chris was writing home about his excellent adventures among the natives.

Larraby on October 9, 2007 at 3:56 PM

Ewwwww…..

vcferlita on October 9, 2007 at 5:33 PM

I remember watching Chris years ago,the sunday morning
talk curcuit.He seemed normal,as the years went by,
he seemed to get mesmerized by the Clintons,maybe Slick Willy and Hilldabeast slipped him a version of the (Jones)koolaid,somewhere before or after Clintons impeachment process, Chris Matthews slowly decended into his Liberal madness,more and more to the left,I think he’s past the point of no return,Chris Matthews no longer knows whats
right.

canopfor on October 9, 2007 at 8:47 PM

Chris Matthews no longer knows whats
right.

He never did. The difference is, in the past the media felt the need to project an appearance of balance, even though they didn’t believe in it. In ’80, the “apparent” balance decreased. Since ’00, they’ve dropped the pretense altogether, and Mathews spouts all the BDS-induced drivel he’s always believed.

Freelancer on October 10, 2007 at 1:06 AM