Video: Lou Dobbs on the anti-demagoguery demagoguery of lefty super-patriots

posted at 7:54 pm on October 8, 2007 by Allahpundit

It’s hard not to think of Rich Lowry’s indictment of Dobbs while watching this, but the targets he’s shooting at so richly deserve the fire that I’m willing to give him a pass and indulge in that mindless “yeah, right on” Lowry mentions. When does patriotism become egotism? When every tiny expression of it, from one’s choice of pronouns to one’s choice of brooch, becomes an occasion for displaying the Greater Patriotism that sets one apart from the flag-wearing rabble. The average pandering pol slaps the pin on his or her lapel and assumes you won’t even notice; it takes a special panderer to eschew the pin entirely just so that someone will ask why and he’ll get to show what a deep-thinkin’ country-lovin’ mensch he really is. Exit question: Why doesn’t Obama just tack a giant flag pin on his lapel and distinguish himself that way? That’s what it’s all about, after all.

Comments

If Rudolph gets the Republican nomination, I hope that somehow Lou Dobbs runs on a third party ticket so that I will have someone to vote for.

MB4 on October 8, 2007 at 8:01 PM

(applause)

Rush Limbaugh would’ve been crucified for speaking such words by the “free speech movement.”

And I would take issue with one thing he said – Bill Moyers too smart for this kind of babble?

Lou, ol’ buddy, you couldn’t be more wrong about that.

Good Lt on October 8, 2007 at 8:01 PM

I love what Lou said about Dingy Harry today, calling him a “complete buffoon” (IIRC). Priceless.

infidel4life on October 8, 2007 at 8:06 PM

It’s nice to see him make sense for once.

Its Tommy on October 8, 2007 at 8:07 PM

MB4 on October 8, 2007 at 8:01 PM

I wouldn’t base my vote on what he said in this piece. Dobbs is also pro-choice, supported Kerry in 2004, pro-gay rights, attacks the Bush tax cuts, argues for a higher minimum wage, is supported by unions on trade and has criticized our “disproportional” support for Israel in the past.

amerpundit on October 8, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Just dropping by to add my 2 cents on the Obama “I won’t wear the flag” crap.

I feel like most of you will be on the same page, but I found this point missing from most of the 5-10 debates I’ve seen about this on Fox…

No one really cared whether Obama wore the damn pin… we just find it annoying that HE chose to politicize the flag pin, by refusing to wear it in some brave display of patriotism. Actually, I think anyone with an ounce of common sense recognizes it was less about “patriotism” and more about “pandering to the far left when you’re being destroyed in the polls… by a girl”.

Seriously, does anyone really believe Obama’s principled stand? Even if you’re too blind to recognize that this was to win over the Kos/Huffpo base who vomits when they see a flag, because their hatred for Bush has carried over to hatred for anything American (I could list you infinite examples, not the least of which is aiding our enemies and rooting for failure in Iraq). Basically Obama was asking for the Edwards supporters to join his team, so he can try to catch up to Hillary.

Sorry ’bout the run on.. I was going to say, even if you don’t recognize that, you certainly have to see that this was all about getting attention for himself, which is still disgusting. Also, it was noted by someone on H&C that he implied that those who DO wear the pin are displaying “false patriotism” (the word may not have been false, but it was something to that affect).

So again, no one cares if he wears the damn pin. They care that he’s such a POS that he he’s actively NOT wearing the pin to make a political statement. Think about how this sounds “I’m running for President of the United States of America, so I refuse to wear a pin displaying the flag of the United States of America.” What a f-ing douche. Speaking of which, how did Olby react to this whole thing? I imagine he loved it.

RightWinged on October 8, 2007 at 8:13 PM

Ouch Katie, that is going to leave a mark. Good.

CrimsonFisted on October 8, 2007 at 8:14 PM

I don’t care what a liberal thinks about my wearing or waving a flag, I am not doing it for them I a doing to pay respect to the men and women far better than them dying and fighting to defend it.

Topsecretk9 on October 8, 2007 at 8:25 PM

Lou Dobbs just opened a world class red white and blue can of 190 proof all American verbal whoop ass.

The best show on the Communist Nitwit Network

Mojack420 on October 8, 2007 at 8:27 PM

Rich Lowry “apocalyptic centrism”.

What the hell is that?

Rich Lowry “Dobbs basically has to ignore the record stock market, an unemployment rate of 4.5 percent and the 20 years of growth since the early 1980s, interrupted by only two brief recessions.

What? The NasDog is only half what it was in 2000. And have you ever heard of the now bursting Housing Bubble, Rich? Have you heard that JPM and BAC just announced that they are having to write down $3 billion in loans? Do you think that they are the first? Do you think that they will be the last? Have you heard of the falling dollar, Rich? Why do you thing that the dollar has fallen so far against other currencies, Rich?

Rich Lowry “Would Dobbs prefer that more of us were hunched over sewing machines rather than employed in industries like software development, financial services, law, accounting, biotech, and pharmaceuticals?”

No Rich, I think that Lou would prefer it if more of us were building cars and trucks and refrigerators and TV’s rather than working at McDonald’s and Taco Bell and so many of the service industries which are low tech. Do you think that it is a good thing that China is getting rich off of us? Are you clueless that they are financing their military build up largely courtesy of us, Rich? BTW Rich, move up to the 21st century. If we were making clothes in this country we would not be doing it “hunched over sewing machines”. That is so 19th century.

MB4 on October 8, 2007 at 8:29 PM

I wouldn’t base my vote on what he said in this piece. Dobbs is also pro-choice (I’m pro-choice up to 3 months), supported Kerry in 2004 (Given how poorly Jorge Arbusto has turned out I can not agree with Lou on that, but I can forgive him), pro-gay rights (Thay don’t bother me that much, just as long as I don’t have to watch or listen to tap, tap, tap.), attacks the Bush tax cuts (Money can’t buy you love. – Paul), argues for a higher minimum wage(I’m for that. Only fair as business is cheating by employing illegals.), is supported by unions on trade (As long as they are American Unions.) and has criticized our “disproportional” support for Israel in the past (All depends on the degree and the motivation for that).

amerpundit on October 8, 2007 at 8:07 PM

MB4 on October 8, 2007 at 8:38 PM

MB4 on October 8, 2007 at 8:38 PM

(I’m pro-choice up to 3 months)

Dobbs is pro-choice, pro-choice.

There’s a difference between forgiving and giving a vote. I can forgive most Democrats.

As long as they are American Unions.)

Yes the same American Unions that vote majorly Democrat.

amerpundit on October 8, 2007 at 8:47 PM

Rich Lowry “apocalyptic centrism”.

What the hell is that?

MB4 on October 8, 2007 at 8:29 PM

One needs only to follow the link, read, and then attempt to comprehend the logic of the writer. You might try it.

Jaibones on October 8, 2007 at 8:52 PM

It tells a lot about the candidate’s views of his country.
He hates it.

Kini on October 8, 2007 at 8:52 PM

BRAVO LOU!

Gatordoug on October 8, 2007 at 8:55 PM

amerpundit on October 8, 2007 at 8:47 PM

Dobbs is pro-choice, pro-choice.

Even partial birth abortion (aka infanticide)? That would make him like Rudy on that one then I guess. But he is so much better in other ways.

Yes the same American Unions that vote majorly Democrat.

Maybe if Jorge Arbusto and the RNC were not so pro plantation owner, Tyson’s Foods, Chamber of Commerce, W$J, Rockefeller Republican, they would not be. Reagan won a lot of them.

MB4 on October 8, 2007 at 8:58 PM

Rich Lowry “apocalyptic centrism”.

What the hell is that?

MB4 on October 8, 2007 at 8:29 PM

Jaibones on October 8, 2007 at 8:52 PM

You see, but you do not observe.
- Holmes
I did comprehend the “logic” of the writer.
That was my way of saying what I thought of it.
I guess my “nuance” was too subtle for you.

MB4 on October 8, 2007 at 9:03 PM

Well played Lou! Amen. Although, he gave Obama too easy a pass for politizing our national symbol.

synycalwon on October 8, 2007 at 9:13 PM

It’s hard not to think of Rich Lowry’s indictment of Dobbs

lol.

Lowry is so clueless that if he were a DA, he could not even indict the proverbial “Ham sandwich” if it were caught with the knife. He would probably be lucky to indict OJ or OBL!

MB4 on October 8, 2007 at 9:18 PM

Dobbs rules, Lowry drools!

MB4 on October 8, 2007 at 9:20 PM

Someone give Lou Dobbs Geraldo’s slot on FOXNews. I think Lou is tapping into a deep vein where people feel literally helpless in changing the government. It will be interesting to see the turnout next November (illegals’ votes for Hillary not included).

SouthernGent on October 8, 2007 at 9:38 PM

SouthernGent on October 8, 2007 at 9:38 PM

That is a fantastic idea.

infidel4life on October 8, 2007 at 9:48 PM

(applause)

Lou, ol’ buddy, you couldn’t be more wrong about that.

Good Lt on October 8, 2007 at 8:01 PM

Soooo True ! !

Texyank on October 8, 2007 at 9:52 PM

Dobbs should moderate a debate.

Sign ON to help make it happen HERE.

T J Green on October 8, 2007 at 9:59 PM

Wow!! Just great! I was glued! It just could not have been said any better than that!! And on CNN of all places!

JellyToast on October 8, 2007 at 10:03 PM

Ted Turner is turning over in his grave.

OK, well, not yet but he will be.

realVerse on October 8, 2007 at 10:21 PM

MB4 on October 8, 2007 at 8:01 PM

A typically stupid comment from a typically stupid clown who claims to be over 50 but writes like a twenty-something

Janos Hunyadi on October 9, 2007 at 1:47 AM

I love Lou Dobbs! He is one media figure that isn’t afraid to speak the truth to these idiots that we have elected!

sabbott on October 9, 2007 at 8:56 AM

TJ Green, Thanks for the link! I signed the petition! I’m sick of the idiot press members asking idiot pols. idiot questions so they can get idiot answers… Lou Dobbs would make these pricks squirm!

sabbott on October 9, 2007 at 9:02 AM

I love people who love America and lou’s one of em.

Ernest on October 9, 2007 at 9:03 AM

I guess my “nuance” was too subtle for you.

MB4 on October 8, 2007 at 9:03 PM

Very much so.

Jaibones on October 9, 2007 at 9:30 AM

How come liberals can only show their “patriotism” by attacking everything American. They show their “patriotism” by burning the American flag. They show their “patriotism” by viciously attacking the military-calling them murders, rapist, mercenaries etc etc. They show their “patriotism” by wishing death to the President and vice president of the country. Now their latest “patriotic” act is refusing to wear an American flag-pin. A flag-pin for goodness sake! True “patriots” all.

RMR on October 9, 2007 at 11:01 AM

MB4 on October 8, 2007 at 8:01 PM

Janos Hunyadi on October 9, 2007 at 1:47 AM

You comment is so typically grade school.

lol.

MB4 on October 9, 2007 at 11:17 AM

Dobbs is the only one out there telling it like it is! Too bad he’s on CNN where no one sees or hears him.

bubby62 on October 9, 2007 at 4:08 PM

Unfortunately, this post has all the trademarks of a liberal. Can’t take something someone says without qualifying it because you have a problem with who said it. A pretty lame problem, at that.

Nothing Dobbs said required the qualifying. It should have stood on it’s own. It deserved to.

Jaynie59 on October 9, 2007 at 8:14 PM