Obama: Let’s create a Kingdom right here on earth!

posted at 11:58 am on October 8, 2007 by Allahpundit

Another week, another bit of pandering jackassery masquerading as idealism. First came his “principled” refusal to vote on the MoveOn resolution even though he voted on a similar resolution the same day, then came his statement of conscience about the flag lapel pin that claimed for that symbol all kinds of grandiose meanings it didn’t have just so he could pretend to be reclaiming those meanings by not wearing it. Now this:

The senator from Illinois delivered his campaign message to a multiracial evangelical congregation in traditionally conservative Greenville, South Carolina. “I think it’s important, particularly for those of us in the Democratic Party, to not cede values and faith to any one party,” Obama told reporters outside the Redemption World Outreach Center where he attended services…

“I think that’s a healthy thing, that we’re not putting people in boxes, that everybody is out there trying to figure out how do we live right and how do we create a stronger America,” Obama said.

He finished his brief remarks by saying, “We’re going to keep on praising together. I am confident that we can create a Kingdom right here on Earth.”

Righties are complaining that if Bush said something like this, Andrew Sullivan and the other “conservatives of doubt” among the nutroots would need smelling salts. True, but both parties have subjects on which they’re uniquely suspect. LBJ couldn’t open China for fear of spooking the electorate into thinking the left had gone soft on communism; Nixon, the Republican, could. By the same token, the public isn’t as worried about the religious left having designs on church/state separation as they are the religious right, thanks in part to some of the latter’s rhetorical excesses over the years. That’s why Obama is held to a different standard. That said, this is meaningless utopian idiocy, cynically calculated to play to his beatific image as the candidate of hope and change and sugar and spice and all things nice. He doesn’t say he’s the man to bring about the Kingdom, but of course, since he’s America’s savior, that’s implied. They don’t call him the Messiah for nothing. Obama ’08: I Am Who Am.

Comments

I’ve liked Obama from the beginning but he starting to scare me. What is he talking about?

terryannonline on October 8, 2007 at 12:03 PM

A magic Kingdom! With the president of Canada not wearing an American flag pin. Amen.

Dash on October 8, 2007 at 12:06 PM

First, he’s an idiot.

Second, what are these dems doing in Greenville, SC? Go to Orangeburg and Columbia where you actually have Dem voters.

sunny on October 8, 2007 at 12:10 PM

Another message of hope from Our Lord and Savior, praise His name!

Heh.

Bad Candy on October 8, 2007 at 12:12 PM

We’re going to keep on praising together

Praising WHO? Or just praisin’ for the fun of it?

-T

The Therapist on October 8, 2007 at 12:12 PM

Ummm… uhhh…

There already is a Kingdom on Earth… the Kingdom of Saud… also know as Saudi Arabia?

Romeo13 on October 8, 2007 at 12:13 PM

Muslim theocracies rock.

lorien1973 on October 8, 2007 at 12:14 PM

That comment about creating a kingdom here on earth bothers me.
That is a line straight out of the Satanist Handbook. No Bullshit.
Satanist beleive, not in wating for their kingdom after death but in creating one here on earth.
Is Obama the antichrist?

jesterstear on October 8, 2007 at 12:15 PM

I think it’s clear he’s recruiting people to join him in a coup to make himself emperor. He must be stopped at all costs.

Dash on October 8, 2007 at 12:15 PM

Ewwww… and thinkin on it…

The Kingdom upon Earth only comes after some really bad Shi* happens… you know… floods, famine, wars, four horsemen, da devil… is he agreeing with Amadinnajacket of Iran?

Is he LOOKING for the second coming?

Romeo13 on October 8, 2007 at 12:15 PM

Who was it that said there should be no campaigning from a church?

Chrissie Matthews?

drjohn on October 8, 2007 at 12:17 PM

Obama ‘08: I Am Who Am Everything You Could Ever *H-O-P-E* For.

Maybe he’ll start wearing robes and suffer the little children to come unto him.

eeyore on October 8, 2007 at 12:17 PM

I find his location in SC interesting too. He seems unsure of securing the evangelical black vote, which did not vote monolithically for Kerry in ’04.

JiangxiDad on October 8, 2007 at 12:17 PM

Am I the only one getting a kind of Nathan Petrelli vibe from him?

Maybe I’ve been watching too much Heroes….

World B. Free on October 8, 2007 at 12:18 PM

When is the IRS going to get involved with these churches hosting political events? Not soon enough apparently.

SouthernGent on October 8, 2007 at 12:20 PM

You’re right Forrest . . . “stupid is as stupid does”.

rplat on October 8, 2007 at 12:20 PM

I believe B. Hussein Obama has hit the crack pipe early in this election cycle.

omnipotent on October 8, 2007 at 12:22 PM

I like the “pandering jackassery” analysis myself.

captivated_dem on October 8, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Is he LOOKING for the second coming?

Romeo13 on October 8, 2007 at 12:15 PM

Obama doesn’t need to look for the second coming!

Bad Candy on October 8, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Romeo13 on October 8, 2007 at 12:13 PM

And isn’t his middle-name “Hussein”?

Niko on October 8, 2007 at 12:29 PM

Magic Kingdom for a Magic Negro.

Makes perfect sense.

fogw on October 8, 2007 at 12:32 PM

SouthernGent on October 8, 2007 at 12:20 PM

That’s the part that bothers me. The double standard of the media is one thing, but churches shouldn’t be hosting political candidates.

Esthier on October 8, 2007 at 12:33 PM

To Quote Monty Python:

He’s NOT the messiah, he’s a very naughty boy!”

GoodBoy on October 8, 2007 at 12:34 PM

Oooohbama’s only hope for the coveted VP slot on the ticket is to reach out for some constituency that wouldn’t otherwise vote for Mrs. $5000 Baby. Peeling off a few church-going whites is Hussein’s strategery. Silky is focusing on union pandering. Both are losts causes. Shrillary needs a face that will make people forget she despises anything military. Wesley Clark call your office.

pedestrian on October 8, 2007 at 12:35 PM

I guess this makes Obama the Anti-Christ

I TOLD YOU SO!

ericire12 on October 8, 2007 at 12:47 PM

Kingdom = Magic Kingdom = Disneyland. Ohhhh makes perfect sense now. I knew this is what I have been viewing, a vision of America under Obama Osama….. Fantasyland included.

MNDavenotPC on October 8, 2007 at 12:48 PM

Does anybody here actually think he is speaking literally? Of course not. So what’s the point of talking about it? If we are going to critique this poor chap, surely there are better grounds than this.

bosteed on October 8, 2007 at 12:52 PM

SouthernGent on October 8, 2007 at 12:20 PM

That law only seems to apply to Republicans. Certainly that is the way it’s been enforced. That’s why it needs to go away altogether.

Maxx on October 8, 2007 at 12:55 PM

He sounds more like the anti-Christ every day. How many “kingdoms” have been set up on earth in defiance of God?
Start with Babel, Babylonian, Medes, Persians, Roman, Byzantine and work all the way down to Napoleon, Hitler, and now China, Islam.
All doomed to fail.

“create a stronger America,” Obama said.”
You might start ‘creating a stronger America’ if you opposed the killing of generations of aborted Americans. Duh.

Doug on October 8, 2007 at 12:55 PM

bosteed on October 8, 2007 at 12:52 PM

I’m not sure if what he said is as important as who he was talking to. According to this article, black evangelicals are not automatic Dem. voters, and so not a lock-in for either Hillary or Obama. I wonder how the people listening responded to his pandering.

In the right place and under the right circumstance, black evangelicals posed a stealth danger to Democrats. As it turned out, the right place for Bush was Ohio, Wisconsin and Florida. These were must-win swing states, and Bush won them with a considerably higher percent of the black vote than he got in 2000.

JiangxiDad on October 8, 2007 at 1:02 PM

I just don’t trust Baraka Hussein Obama. The years he spent in a madrassa-thingamajig, the lies he put forth, in his own book, about his life and his father’s background plus the fact that he recently joined the same church that the Rev. Barry Lynn is associated with is just too darn scary.

sinsing on October 8, 2007 at 1:10 PM

Obama ‘08: I Am Who Am.

paraphrasing Popeye now, is he?

allie on October 8, 2007 at 1:12 PM

I’m sitting here entertaining myself with thoughts of the uproar that would have ensued if this had been said by a Republican. Smelling salt stocks would skyrocket, and fainting couches would be purchased in droves, as the entire Deomcratic party was collectively overcome with the vapors. Talking heads would be foaming at the mouth on every channel–not just the news channels–including Animal Planet, the Weather Channel, and the Food Network, screaming “Separation of church and state!” at the top of their lungs.

But when a Democrat does it, the same people just shrug their shoulders, because they know there’s zero chance that he actually meant a word of it. Pandering jackassery, indeed. And the fact that he belongs to the First Church of the Black Panther is just icing on the cake.

ReubenJCogburn on October 8, 2007 at 1:22 PM

Obama ‘08: I Am Who Am

Haha, awesome. This is why I love you, Allah.

CorinthianJest on October 8, 2007 at 1:27 PM

This is what happens when you trail cankles by 30 points. Church, no flag pin, just cries for attention.

BO is starting his slow swirl in the bowl.

swami on October 8, 2007 at 1:31 PM

Obama ‘08: I Am Who Am A-men.

Entelechy on October 8, 2007 at 1:34 PM

hmm, Obama is post-millenial?

jp on October 8, 2007 at 1:36 PM

For those who didn’t get Allah’s joke (I Am Who I Am), read Exodus 3:14. Ehyeh asher Ehyeh.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on October 8, 2007 at 2:00 PM

(I Am Who I Am), read Exodus 3:14. Ehyeh asher Ehyeh

KJV renders it “I am that I am”, which captures an entirely different idea. See also Plato: “Prime Mover”

The Monster on October 8, 2007 at 2:40 PM

Say anything to get elected. Remove your flag pins boys and girls. Take up your. Follow me as we shall all march forward into damnation.

Zaire67 on October 8, 2007 at 3:30 PM

Well we’re movin on up,
To the east side.
To a deluxe apartment in the sky.
Movin on up,
To the east side.
We finally got a piece of the pie.

Fish don’t fry in the kitchen;
Beans don’t burn on the grill.
Took a whole lotta tryin’,
Just to get up that hill.
Now we’re up in the big leagues,
Gettin’ our turn at bat.
As long as we have the Obamassiah,
There ain’t nothin’ wrong with that.

Well we’re movin on up,
To the east side.
To a deluxe apartment in the sky.
Movin on up,
To the east side.
We finally got a piece of the piIiIiIie.

SilverStar830 on October 8, 2007 at 3:30 PM

Say anything to get elected. Remove your flag pins boys and girls. Take up your Cross. Follow me, as we all march forward into damnation.

Zaire67 on October 8, 2007 at 3:30 PM

Read this about the Obamassiah’s Pastor…
wow.

SilverStar830 on October 8, 2007 at 3:46 PM

Read this about the Obamassiah’s Pastor…
wow.

SilverStar830 on October 8, 2007 at 3:46 PM

Well, I wasn’t making up the part about Obamessiah belonging to the First Church of the Black Panther. Different name, yes, but the same message. But he’ll get a free pass from the enemedia, as always.

ReubenJCogburn on October 8, 2007 at 4:12 PM

To me this gets to the heart of the post-Christian socialist dream. They project heaven onto earth in an attempt create a secular paradise. Its much more literal-minded than Christians are accused of being.

aengus on October 8, 2007 at 4:41 PM

I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one who is nutty enough to immediately think of the Kingdom of Saud when I read the headline.

Either way, I don’t now and never did trust anything that this clean, articulate gentleman says. Even if he regularly attended a ‘mainstream’ Christian church rather than that of a pseuso-christian version of Louis Farrakhan, I wouldn’t believe he was a REAL Christian.

While I don’t pay more than half a mind to the madrassa – Islamist father stuff; I can’t pretend to know whether he really has any allegiance to Mohammed, But I am pretty certain that Obama’s REAL religion is Marxism, not Christianity.

LegendHasIt on October 8, 2007 at 5:05 PM

A kingdom?

Hasn’t that been done before?

How about a representative democracy there Obama?

the Messiah is losing it.

themistocles on October 8, 2007 at 5:44 PM

Amazing. Obama somehow evades the racist tag, despite belonging to a 100% black church led by a racist who preaches blackness. And he somehow evades the hateful anti-Christian vitriol of the atheist left and wins the love of the Christian anti-Evangelical Christian left (ok, so do Muslims; I’ll concede that one — anyone but white, conservative Christians, I guess).

And now, even his kooky “Kingdom Here on Earth” tripe gets a pass for Evangelical Christian Kookiness from Militant Atheist quarters, and becomes just more pandering jackassery. I guess when everyone knows you’re a pandering liar, you can say just about anything you want, and it never gets worse than pandering…

Jaibones on October 8, 2007 at 5:55 PM

I think AP is blowing off the double standard here. This IS big deal, because Bush has gotten (incorrectly) hammered for years about being some sort of Christian extremist trying to set up a theocracy here, and basing his decisions on what he says God told him to do.

But Allah only gave you part of the Obama story… I was whining about this in the Pelosi thread yesterday:

Also, this relates to something I emailed the fellas about, though I understand it’s not extremely important, so I get why they didn’t post on it… but I find it interesting, strictly because of the hypocrisy involved.

Faith `plays Every Role’ in Obama’s Life

How many times have we seen the media, as well as lefty blogs, and I want to say even some Dem pols scorching Bush as some Christian whacko who thinks he’s out there doing God’s bidding? Don’t expect to see the same treatment for Obama… after all, he’s black, so it just makes him soulful and hip to be a man of faith… even though, like with most Dems, that “faith”, is just a way to pull in a few more votes. And let’s not even get in to the black supremacist attitude of his church.

RightWinged on October 7, 2007 at 6:31 PM

And then there’s this:

During the nearly two hour service that featured a rock band and hip-hop dancers, Obama shared the floor with the church’s pastor, Ron Carpenter. The senator from Illinois asked the multiracial crowd of nearly 4,000 people to keep him and his family in their prayers, and said he hoped to be “an instrument of God.

RightWinged on October 7, 2007 at 11:09 PM

RightWinged on October 8, 2007 at 6:19 PM

blockquotes got messed up there.. but you get the point

RightWinged on October 8, 2007 at 6:20 PM

Yeah, multicultural. Can the MSM reporter please share with the gentle reader which cultures, exactly, were represented?

Jaibones on October 8, 2007 at 7:57 PM

As far as the leftist hypocrisy of Obama calling for God’s Kingdom on Earth — which follows the triumphant return of Christ the King — during a political rally, no less, it was only a few weeks ago when the DNC went through an intense period of specific Talking Point marketing, decrying the notion that Bush was running a Neo-Con theocracy.

If I heard it once in two weeks, I heard it 30 times. Curious how soon after that Obama decides to go the full Monty and remind everyone how full of shit the Democrats are.

Jaibones on October 8, 2007 at 8:01 PM

The Donks always get religion come election time.

Maxx on October 8, 2007 at 9:48 PM

Pander Bear

SoulGlo on October 8, 2007 at 10:25 PM

So much for SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE!

canopfor on October 8, 2007 at 11:36 PM

“I am confident that we can create a Kingdom right here on Earth.”

No. I don’t wanna die.