Quote of the day

posted at 10:34 pm on October 6, 2007 by Allahpundit

“Having grown up with successful women such as Margaret Thatcher and Madonna as role models, and with popular culture awash with fantasies of all-powerful women, from Lara Croft to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, men are not so uncomfortable with the woman in control. This value system recognises the trend of female supremacy, which while not as yet the norm seems to be pointing the way for future relationships.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

profitsbeard on October 7, 2007 at 12:06 PM

Very astute indeed.

Connie on October 7, 2007 at 12:48 PM

Experience is raw material.

You can build a cage or a ladder.

Fine words, but only true within very limited parameters. Think of it as a horse race. If you have a racehorse that loses 100 races in a row, you may if you choose prefer to believe that he’s been running on tracks that don’t favor him; in weather that doesn’t favor him; and against unusually superior fields that make him look poor by comparison. That is to say, you can try to make the argument that he’s actually a pretty darned good racehorse and has simply been having a run of bad luck. Train him harder, look for better fields and more suitable conditions, and who knows? That would be the “experience as a ladder” interpretation.

But here’s the thing. If a horse lost 100 races in a row, there’s not a man or woman among us who wouldn’t take one look and say, “Yeah, that’s just a bad horse.” Any other conclusion is willful delusion.

Allahpundit on October 7, 2007 at 1:03 PM

TO THE CAVES!

km on October 7, 2007 at 1:19 PM

“I had committed the worst dating faux pas: I had outshone my suitor.”

No, you had simply demonstrated how rude, self-centered, and vain a person you are. I second the get-a-cat recommendation made by others above – it would be shame for you to screw up the life of a doctor who is probably a net benefit to society.

drunyan8315 on October 7, 2007 at 1:27 PM

If you’ve been running the horse on the flat, you could try him as a steeplechaser, or a show jumper…or a stud….

kate q on October 7, 2007 at 1:34 PM

My point exactly. If he’s a bad racehorse, admit that fact. Don’t delude yourself with nonsense about cages and ladders.

Allahpundit on October 7, 2007 at 1:37 PM

Okay, he’s a bad racehorse. Maybe he’s a Budweiser Clydesdale instead. If he has his heart set on outrunning thoroughbreds, he’ll be miserable. But a racehorse can’t squash small children with a single step, so, you know, there are compensations.

kate q on October 7, 2007 at 1:51 PM

profitsbeard on October 7, 2007 at 12:06 PM

Allahpundit on October 7, 2007 at 1:37 PM

Sounds to me like you’re both saying the same thing.

Connie on October 7, 2007 at 1:54 PM

Hilarious how she assumes the doctor couldn’t speak 5 languages. How would she know? He was “mute” for the rest of the date (NOT: he was just appalled at her rudeness). Perhaps he spoke 10. Her assumption that she was “outshining” him, I assure you, showed on her face.

drunyan8315 on October 7, 2007 at 1:27 PM

Exactly.

inviolet on October 7, 2007 at 2:01 PM

I’m having trouble comparing Margaret Thatcher to Tarts-R-Us Madonna as successful in what degree, after all, the later married Sean Penn. And Lara Croft and Buffy as popular culture all-powerful women, the only thing in common is that they both have big tits and they live in the boob-tube world.

As for multilingual capabilities, who cares, pay the bills, wear those high-heeled shoes, and low cut blouses and short skirts and I’m yours forevah!

Alpha, beta, how about Clingy or Dumb-as-a-box-of door nobs.

Kini on October 7, 2007 at 2:43 PM

Your comment is awaiting moderation.

Huh?!?!? Oh oh….

Kini on October 7, 2007 at 2:45 PM

Kini on October 7, 2007 at 2:45 PM

It’s kind of like discovering you have been singled out for open luggage check at the airport. ;)

Connie on October 7, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Connie on October 7, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Yeah, I hate when that happens, and it has happened.

Kini on October 7, 2007 at 3:12 PM

I tried to be the Beta male with a very strong woman when I was younger because she was something of a feminist and I thought it would help me get laid. She left me.

So, I became a Marine, met a new girl, and didn’t bother to hide the fact that a) I was in charge, and b) I would take care of her FIRST and LAST. She married me.

Now, my wife EXPECTS me to take the lead. That’s a LOT of pressure to be under but worth it on so many levels. I made the wise (in my opinion) decision to stay out of her way on certain issues while still retaining veto power and in return, I have gotten some of the best advice I have ever heard. The man who refuses to listen to his wife is a fool and the one who marries a woman who can’t (or won’t) advise him well is doubly so. But the woman who can’t (or won’t) pick a man who will take what she says and make the best decision for the family is just as bad if not worse.

Just my opinion.

Oh, and the girl who left me? Married a man (a very good mutual friend) who I know would not take guff off of anyone, to include her. Go figure.

Militant Bibliophile on October 7, 2007 at 3:47 PM

I second the get-a-cat recommendation made by others above

I’m deeply disturbed that you folks are failing to consider the cat’s well-being in this discussion. No matter what they might say, feminists don’t get their cats neutered for their own good

dostrick on October 7, 2007 at 4:46 PM

dostrick on October 7, 2007 at 4:46 PM

Made me laugh. I considered correcting myself by changing the recommendation to “get a dog.” A cat would give her too much competition.

Connie on October 7, 2007 at 9:06 PM

I get so tired of homely women claiming that their intelligence is to blame for their lovelorn status.

Sweetheart, it’s not your IQ that’s scaring off the guys, it’s your face.

Ali-Bubba on October 7, 2007 at 11:56 PM