Messiah: I’m too far behind in the polls principled to wear an American flag pin

posted at 5:55 pm on October 4, 2007 by Allahpundit

All hail our moral superior, who for the second time in as many weeks dresses up a cynical political gesture in the rhetoric of high ideals and “change.” He was too gutless to take sides when the senate voted to condemn MoveOn’s ad, claiming that a serious statesman can’t be bothered with such meaningless grandstanding — after he voted on Boxer’s “we respect the troops” resolution the same day. Now, at last, his long wait for some reporter to ask him why he doesn’t wear a flag pin is at an end, giving him a chance to flatter the moral vanity of the left by rolling out a pat story about how “true patriotism” means being anti-war and nonconformist and just real conscientious-like about vital social issues ‘n stuff.

“You know, the truth is that right after 9/11, I had a pin,” Obama said. “Shortly after 9/11, particularly because as we’re talking about the Iraq War, that became a substitute for I think true patriotism, which is speaking out on issues that are of importance to our national security, I decided I won’t wear that pin on my chest.

In other words, rather than simply say “I don’t want to trivialize my patriotism by wearing it as a fashion accessory,” he reiterates that he does wear it as a fashion accessory. The empty space where the pin would be is the accessory, and clearly noticeable enough that a reporter would ask him about it unprompted. Even dopier, by not wearing the pin, he’s basically ceding the iconography of the flag to war supporters. The smart thing would be to wear it and declare that it’s every bit as patriotic on a war opponent as anyone else.

Although that wouldn’t be true in every case, now would it?

Comments

If he was really honest he would wear a hammer and sickle.

JayHaw Phrenzie on October 4, 2007 at 5:56 PM

The real political statement would have been to wear it upside down…. p*ssy

ChrisM on October 4, 2007 at 6:03 PM

I suppose the argument is that the flag pin is jingoistic and cliche. Naturally, I assume he has removed his wedding ring for the same reasons. Why should he wear symbol when he can simply behave like he loves his wife. I’m sure she’d have no problem with it.

trubble on October 4, 2007 at 6:04 PM

So 19% of the Dems polled ( and we all know how how ,oh nevermind..) openly admit that they prefer us to lose. Sucks to be them.

bbz123 on October 4, 2007 at 6:05 PM

trubble on October 4, 2007 at 6:04 PM

Have you seen his wife?!?

B. Hussein Obama ain’t gonna get on her bad side.

JayHaw Phrenzie on October 4, 2007 at 6:05 PM

Mr. Obama….You are running for the highest office in the United States of America. The flag is far wider and far deeper than the battles in Iraq. It is also far deeper than ‘speaking out’ on matters.
Also, it doesn’t matter what you Believe will make this country great, sir. This country Is Great. See how that works?
You’re much too foolish to be my president.

bridgetown on October 4, 2007 at 6:08 PM

Does politics just naturally draw crappy people to it, or does spending enough time in it just turn people crappy? There are not very many politicians I respect.

BadgerHawk on October 4, 2007 at 6:11 PM

Thanks Allah, good post. This should be a deal breaker for many people, but this is probably the only place that will report this disgraceful attitude or someone who wants to be Commander-In-Chief.

Wade on October 4, 2007 at 6:15 PM

disgraceful attitude or of someone who wants to be Commander-In-Chief.

Wade on October 4, 2007 at 6:16 PM

“He doesn’t need to wear that flag on his lapel. He wears it in his heart.”

And, a messianic heart is waaaay more superior than all others.

Besides, lapel-flags and -pins are for colloquial, patriotic American nitwits, not for multi-culti principled men of the one-world. Love, respect and nuance peasants, nuance! We’re in this superiority together. Vote for me and you will see!

p.s. I don’t think he’ll even be VP.

Entelechy on October 4, 2007 at 6:17 PM

What bridgetown said.

wytammic on October 4, 2007 at 6:19 PM

That ABCnews puff piece was one of the most blatant cases of propaganda I’ve seen in awhile. That photo must have taken hours for the right pose (with Hussein thinking “Mt. Rushmore“), and all the editorial framing of the responses to make them just so.

Cap that off with the section heading ‘He Wears it in His Heart’, and this would make a good campaign ad.

stonemeister on October 4, 2007 at 6:21 PM

If he was really honest he would wear a hammer and sickle.crescent and star.

JayHaw Phrenzie on October 4, 2007 at 5:56 PM

You know, since he attended a madrassa and all. Just sayin’.

NTWR on October 4, 2007 at 6:27 PM

“Or, at least, what will make it ‘OK’. Maybe just OK-er. I mean, come on, it’s not like I have a crush on the country.”

John from WuzzaDem on October 4, 2007 at 6:27 PM

Commander-in Chief wanna be Obama needs to listen up HERE

Wade on October 4, 2007 at 6:28 PM

What a statesman. A man who wants to be president but who does not want to show respect for the flag which has defined a nation.

Bravo, you moron. Bravo.

madmonkphotog on October 4, 2007 at 6:30 PM

Plain and simple: ‘I don’t care men died for me.’

Limerick on October 4, 2007 at 6:32 PM

I’m happy to trivialize my patriotism by my flag in my front yard and by expressing my gratitude toward our armed services. And I’m going start wearing a flag pin again just for you Obama.

Spirit of 1776 on October 4, 2007 at 6:37 PM

The reason why liberals like Obama don’t wear the flag pin on their lapel and feel uneasy when the flag is flying is that they believe they are citizens of the world first and citizens of America last. Their true allegiance lies beyond America, an allegiance that makes them regard America with suspicion.

Tantor on October 4, 2007 at 6:38 PM

He is done for.

WisCon on October 4, 2007 at 6:39 PM

Well at least we all know he can stand strong on the real issues!

cough cough

americaslaststand on October 4, 2007 at 6:40 PM

most candidates don’t wear it. mccain, huckabee, hillary, edwards…most don’t wear it. non-issue.

ernesto on October 4, 2007 at 6:40 PM

Imagine that. A liberal who hates American symbols of greatness.

simon on October 4, 2007 at 6:41 PM

Looking sillier every day, as Hill crushes him underfoot like an empty Miller can.

T J Green on October 4, 2007 at 6:42 PM

10 bucks….Hillary names him as our U.N. rep.

Limerick on October 4, 2007 at 6:45 PM

Anyone who is so immature or anti American that either can’t equate our flag in the form of a lapel pin with themselves or does equate the disuse of our flag in any form with an anti America political agenda has no business even running for office much less the POTUS.

Speakup on October 4, 2007 at 6:45 PM

most(sic) candidates don’t wear it. mccain, (sic)huckabee (sic), hillary (sic), edwards (sic)…most don’t wear it. non-issue (sic).

ernesto (sic) on October 4, 2007 at 6:40 PM

Can not be a non-issue if you are here defending him.

Wade on October 4, 2007 at 6:54 PM

Frankly, I don’t get it. I see the sanctimony in his answer, but so what if he’s not wearing it. I don’t wear one on a daily basis either. Some of you are acting like he pissed on a flag on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial.

SouthernDem on October 4, 2007 at 7:30 PM

Isn’t this just another way of claiming the completely moronic “Dissent is the highest form of Patriotism” crap?

That whole idea is so nonsensical that only a complete intellectual light-weight could believe it.

Example 1: Mr. Obama, let us say that the U.S. Government becomes exactly, 100%, the way you would like it to be. Would someone who then dissented from your perfect government be a greater patriot then you?

Example 2: The U.S. Government is trying to decide which way it will go on a very important issue. Unfortunately, the two choices on this issue are exactly opposite and mutually exclusive. Now, George dissents from choice A, while Martha dissents from choice B. Which is the greater patriot?

Idiotic, and every single last person who claims “dissent is the highest form of patriotism” ought to be branded across the forehead with “I am a complete idiot”!

Fatal on October 4, 2007 at 7:37 PM

I’ve had a rather intense dislike for Obama since May 2005 when, before a U.S. Senate Committee on Environment & Public Works hearing on eco-terrorism, he issued a statement that delighted ALF/ELF supporters, who happily quoted it for months afterwards. He seems to have a habit of using the “we have more important issues” line. Gutless, indeed.

VerbumSap on October 4, 2007 at 7:39 PM

…and clearly noticeable enough that a reporter would ask him about it unprompted…

AP

Man, this short thread has a seriously sharp edge to it. Let me pile on! Why on earth do we think it was unprompted? May I suggest that this is just another Dem/press staged moment?

JayHaw without the K — love the attitude! (Hell, I always love the attitude until the subject is Christ, then not so much). And what’s up with that K?

ChrisM — whoa! Niiiiiice.

You boys are bringin’ it tonight. Must be Cub fans…

Jaibones on October 4, 2007 at 7:41 PM

Think I can market a Obama dart board where you throw darts colored red white and blue at his face ?

William Amos on October 4, 2007 at 7:43 PM

So, lets do the math.

Naiveté
—————— = Obama
Inexperience

Now let’s play Pin the Tail on the Donkey

Kini on October 4, 2007 at 7:52 PM

This is just exhibit # 666 within the avalanche of evidence that proves the Clintons sold their souls to the devil.

Fatal on October 4, 2007 at 7:54 PM

If he were honest he’d were a “Black Power” pin. You know, the upraised clenched fist.

csdeven on October 4, 2007 at 8:46 PM

to Southern Dem at 7:30pm
It’s not about what he’s wearing or not wearing.
It’s about his idiotic Reasoning for doing/not doing so.

bridgetown on October 4, 2007 at 9:10 PM

H&C on Fox tonight just had something about this. Obama is just pandering to the far left socialists right now thinking it will give him a leg up on the glacier.

But, he is not the only one, when was the last time you saw her, or Silky with the flag pin on?

Anti-American, every one of them. But we already knew that huh?

conservnut on October 4, 2007 at 9:31 PM

I never thought I’d actually say that I hope Clinton is the dem nominee, because if elected she’ll do less damage than Obama or Edwards, but I’m pretty sure that’s the case now.

BadgerHawk on October 4, 2007 at 9:40 PM

The problem is not that he doesn’t wear one. I don’t either most of the time, but the problem is that his reasoning for not doing it sounds anti-American in an “I don’t want to be associated with that flag” sort of thing. This is a terrible thing to make public if you are running for president and it definitely won’t fly in Middle America.

These libs think that “dissent is the highest form of patriotism” you know, which I think is silly.

What flag does he think flies over the White House he’s trying to get into?

Is he gonna refrain from pledging allegiance to it too?

Does he have a problem with the national anthem, The Star Spangled Banner?

Show some respect and grow a pair, Senator. Our troops get shot at everyday for being Americans, but they still proudly wear an American flag on their uniforms. If you’re not gonna wear one, don’t disrespect the meaning of it for those who do.

CP on October 4, 2007 at 9:47 PM

Mr. Obama….You are running for the highest office in the United States of America. The flag is far wider and far deeper than the battles in Iraq. It is also far deeper than ’speaking out’ on matters.
You’re much too foolish to be my president.

bridgetown on October 4, 2007 at 6:08 PM

I darn near stood up in my house and applauded when I read this! Very well said!!!

deepdiver on October 4, 2007 at 9:51 PM

It occurs to me that the reason that Obama shouldn’t be president is his total dhimmi attitude which he learns from his liberal Christian church–not because of some silliness about a flag pin.

I’m 200% behind the United States and the West in whatever war we have, but I’m not about to wear a flag pin. It’s simply repugnant to my sense of style.

This seems a good place to mention my Pol Pot “Peace through Action” t-shirt with peace symbols that I’m making to wear to anti-war protests. So far, every semi-moonbat I’ve mentioned my t-shirt design to thinks its hilarious and wants one for him or herself. I hope its because the semi-moonbats recognize that the communists are nuts, but I fear that they are just amused by the idea of wearing a mass murderer on their t-shirt.

thuja on October 4, 2007 at 10:10 PM

The U.S. continues to be the best country in the world, but it has always been a work in progress. Unless we are critical we run the risk of becoming like a Super Bowl champion that feels the next season is owed to them.

I love the country and the flag but hate when someone uses the stars and stripes as part of their marketing, as though their views are endorsed by Old Glory.

dedalus on October 4, 2007 at 10:47 PM

Obama must think he has the VP slot sewn up, as Edwards has already failed as a VP candidate. It would be a flip/flop (Hah!) from the last time a woman was on the ticket: Mondale/Ferraro, 1984. I just checked, and according to one site, they won 13 out of 538 possible electoral votes. Ronald Reagan won in a landslide.
Obama could wear a flag pin the size of his ego, and still be trailing in the polls. And assuredly, if his team determined that not wearing the pin was detrimental to his campaign, he would be wearing one. And he’d probably have a pin photoshopped into all previous campaign event pictures.

Doug on October 4, 2007 at 11:23 PM

Obama must think he has the VP slot sewn up

I doubt Hillary wants him as VP or that he wants to run as VP. My guess is that Bill Richardson and Wes Clark are higher on the list.

dedalus on October 4, 2007 at 11:33 PM

10 bucks….Hillary names him as our U.N. rep.

Limerick on October 4, 2007 at 6:45 PM

Nope, that spot is reserved for the “Co-president,” (her words, not mine), Minister of Peace, and first lady Billy Jeff.

mojojojo on October 4, 2007 at 11:52 PM

bridgetown on October 4, 2007 at 9:10 PM

Yeah, I know, that’s why I said he sounds sanctimonious and pretty stupid. But not really all that offensive.

SouthernDem on October 4, 2007 at 11:52 PM

I decided I won’t wear that pin on my chest.
“Instead,” he said, “I’m going to try to tell the American people what I believe will make this country great, and hopefully that will be a testimony to my patriotism.” B Hussien Obama

1. It isn’t ‘that pin’ it is the American flag. People wore it after 911 not to keep from being asked to enlist, but to show solidarity with the victims who were attacked because they were associated with that flag

To me it was rather brave to wear that flag pin in defiance of the jihadists.

2. He intends to make this country great – by removing the trite symbol of its greatness

3. The flag is a substitute for true patriotism? You could have fooled me. We fools have been putting flags on the graves of soldiers for generations

Pompous puffinjay!

Forty flags with their silver stars,
Forty flags with their crimson bars,

Flapped in the morning wind: the sun
Of noon looked down, and saw not one.

Up rose old Barbara Frietchie then,
Bowed with her fourscore years and ten;

Bravest of all in Frederick town,
She took up the flag the men hauled down;

In her attic-window the staff she set,
To show that one heart was loyal yet.

Up the street came the rebel tread,
Stonewall Jackson riding ahead.

Under his slouched hat left and right
He glanced: the old flag met his sight.

“Halt!”—the dust-brown ranks stood fast,
“Fire!”—out blazed the rifle-blast.

It shivered the window, pane and sash;
It rent the banner with seam and gash.

Quick, as it fell, from the broken staff
Dame Barbara snatched the silken scarf;

She leaned far out on the window-sill,
And shook it forth with a royal will.

“Shoot, if you must, this old gray head,
But spare your country’s flag,” she said

The Ballad of Barbara Fritchie John Greenleaf whittier 1807 – 1892

entagor on October 5, 2007 at 3:12 AM

Yo moron…!!!…A Patriot you are not…that’ll really make me want to vote for a lib dem…You like sherrotten brownie from Ohio…DISHONEST…ARROGANT…AND JUST PLAIN STUPID…

areseaoh on October 5, 2007 at 9:04 AM

Obama is Illinois’ SECOND turd gift to the nation. The first is Durbin. Make that the third; I almost forgot Hillary.

georgej on October 5, 2007 at 9:23 AM

I think the reason behind this is that it resonates with young people. Young people who think the older generation are addicted to symbols and not substance. The youth mentality that believes anything contrary is good. The youth mentality that is seeking an idealistic solution to all problems. A youth mentality that is so lacking in the practical experiences of life, that they think no one else ever thought what they think.

Obama is going after this group mentality. Obama is a black separatist and is also pandering to the angry black mentality.

The only danger in this strategy is that youth rarely come out to vote. They are all talk and no action. That leaves Hillary as the dem nominee.

csdeven on October 5, 2007 at 10:11 AM

So…this moronic bastard won’t wear a flag lapel pin…but makes sure all his photo ops include the ‘flag’ in the background….hmmmmmm…explain that…a guy named b hussein obamamyass…go figure…

areseaoh on October 5, 2007 at 12:33 PM