Video: Jeri speaks — and Fred smacks Dobson

posted at 11:00 pm on October 3, 2007 by Allahpundit

Three highlights from tonight’s H&C yakfest. First comes the obligatory tableau with the kids aimed at showing what good parents mom and dad are while in fact showing that they’re willing to use their little ones as political props. Too treacly and too cynical — quite a combination. Next comes Jeri cannily turning a question about her role in the campaign into an indictment of Islamist oppression of women. It’s an easy mark and nothing we haven’t heard from Laura Bush but well played and eloquent enough to momentarily draw attention away from how distractingly attractive she is. Finally, Fred gets his chance on a national stage to respond to Dobson’s demagogic jackassery and makes the most of it. Nothing too aggressive — he can’t afford to be — but very cool and effective. The Times says he’s putting people to sleep on the campaign trail but I perked up a bit at his closing line here.

And to his great credit, despite the enormous political pressure on him to abandon federalism and tack right on social issues, he’s sticking to his guns. If only he’d stop making boneheaded mistakes

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I think “drilling down” is the right thing to do.
JiangxiDad on October 4, 2007 at 9:01 AM

We’re talking about the same thing. I want to know who I’m dealing with, and will drill down to find the core. With Fred, it’s not hard. He’s right in front of me.

If you want to know where he stands on the issues, he has them on Fred08.com. He specifically answers each of your concerns. He’s a Goldwater conservative (his history) with Reagan principles. (My description)

He’s the only candidate who is talking about how to fix government. He even wrote a book on it. If you ask him a question, you get his straight answer.

Like the man said, he’s not dancing to anybody’s tune. Those questions about Terry Schiavo and the Everglades were designed for one thing: “Let’s get a controversial answer out of FDT so we can use it against him.” He did exactly the right thing by not letting someone deflect his message.

I note your skepticism, and I applaud it. G.K. Chesteron said that the purpose of an open mind is to close it. Keep the open mind until you have enough information, then make your decision. Just make sure you have the right kind of information.

Tennman on October 4, 2007 at 9:14 AM

Everyone circles the wagons when Rush is misquoted, but when Dobson is–twice–Fred and AP and others engage in this “demagogic jackassery” of piling on, kicking a good man when he’s down.

jgapinoy on October 4, 2007 at 9:53 AM

Dobson never said that Fred is not a Christian. He said that in his opinion, Christian voters may not see him as “Christian enough” to support as strongly as someone like G. W. Bush.

jgapinoy on October 4, 2007 at 9:56 AM

I wanna know why his daughter is chewing on his wife’s diaphragm…

Ochlan on October 4, 2007 at 10:05 AM

I likes me some Jeri Thompson!

CP on October 4, 2007 at 10:07 AM

So, there’s your humor. If you’re going to try to challenge a conservative’s reaction to a conservative, don’t use the NYT.
Tennman on October 4, 2007 at 8:56 AM

So how would you report this incident as it happened?
Since it simply was reported what went on?

Mcguyver on October 4, 2007 at 10:39 AM

And what’s wrong with a “take me as I am” attitude? I totally disagree with Rudy on abortion and a lot of other issues, because he’s a liberal Republican. But I know just where he stands.

With FDT, I know where he stands on abortion. He is agin’ it, thinks the Federalist position applies, feds should stay out of it and let the states decide…

Tennman on October 4, 2007 at 8:50 AM

Nothing is wrong with it. I respect that attitude a lot. And I agree with the larger theme – if you believe in someone and trust them, you don’t need specifics on everything because you think they will do the right thing. I don’t have any argument with that either.

Spirit of 1776 on October 4, 2007 at 10:48 AM

As you say it is a characteristic of big men to seem or appear to be slow but it is a false appearance. What it is is a combination of learned behavior and optical illusion. Learned behavior in that big men learn on a sub conscience level to move slowly in order to not frighten or intimidate smaller people.

doriangrey on October 4, 2007 at 1:54 AM

Excellent point. I’m 6’4″ 185lbs. Not Fred! big, but close.

I’ve been large all my life and, like many big folks, have learned to control my quick reflected tendencies and consciously move more slowly when I’m out mingling and dealing with the public.

A big quick guy definitely frightens smaller folks. It’s a natural tendency to feel threatened at something much bigger, stronger, and quicker than you are.

I still don’t understand the level and concentration of acidic vitriol coming from some of the more voiciferous posters among us. They’re entitled to their opinions, of course, but then, so are the rest of us.

techno_barbarian on October 4, 2007 at 11:23 AM

So how would you report this incident as it happened?
Since it simply was reported what went on?

Mcguyver on October 4, 2007 at 10:39 AM

Why exactly did it even need to be reported, or for that matter of what importance is it that you think it should be addressed by anyone. It was something called humor, something you apparently don’t have.

doriangrey on October 4, 2007 at 11:29 AM

With FDT, I know where he stands on abortion. He is agin’ it, thinks the Federalist position applies, feds should stay out of it and let the states decide.
Tennman on October 4, 2007 at 8:50 AM

Acctually you really do need to drill down on that issue. You will be surprised by what you find. He takes a federalist position and thinks Roe v. Wade was wrongly decided. The issue should be decided by the states. That’s all good according to the Conservative playbook, and that is all you will hear from Fred. Because if you drill down, you will not like the answer. What would Fred do if the issue was returned to the states and Fred was voting on the issue back in Tennesse? Well, according to his prior statements, he thinks it should be legal in the first trimester and should not be criminalized. That sounds like a pro-choice candidate. In fact, it sounds alot like Rudy. The only differece is that Rudy said it would be acceptable if the SCOTUS overruled the wrongly decided Roe v. Wade, and also acceptable if it viewed the two decisions and thirty odd years as strong precedent. Other than the view on the power of precedent, Fred and Rudy are very similar on this issue. See what you get when you drill down on the issues as oppose to avoiding questions while slouching with a squirming kid on your lap?

tommylotto on October 4, 2007 at 11:34 AM

I’m 6′4″ 185lbs. techno_barbarian on October 4, 2007 at 11:23 AM

What are you? A Dominican pitcher?

tommylotto on October 4, 2007 at 11:39 AM

techno_barbarian on October 4, 2007 at 11:23 AM

As far as those remarking on Fred being slow, I think quite honestly it is because they just are not getting a true sense of his size. To read in the paper or on line that a guys is 6’6″ and 330lbs just does not convey the reality of standing next to a man who is nearly a foot taller than you and resembles a small moving mountain.

As I said I am only 6’1″ hence I don’t spend a whole lot of time looking up at people. With the average height in America being 5’9″ or 5’10″ I do know a little bit about what people like Fred and you go through around smaller people.

I know that I make people who are eight or ten inches shorter than me who don’t know me feel uncomfortable when we first meet. Fortunately I am short enough that isn’t a daily occurrence for me, but it happens often enough for me to recognize how people react to larger people.

I think a lot of the criticism of Fred for his seeming to be slow and lazy would disappear if the people leveling those criticisms would actually meet Fred in person. Then they would stop being critical of that perceived slowness and appreciate it for what it is. The intentional act of a true gentleman who is making a conscience effort to not frighten or intimidate those around him who are smaller than himself.

doriangrey on October 4, 2007 at 11:49 AM

doriangrey on October 4, 2007 at 11:49 AM

Fred just seeems slow and lazy. It’s really because he is massively superior to everyone around him… And you accuse me of spin?

P.S. I’m 6’2″ and 2 bills

tommylotto on October 4, 2007 at 12:17 PM

jgapinoy on October 4, 2007 at 9:53 AM

That’s because Dobson is a pompous, egotistical a$$.

tommylotto on October 4, 2007 at 12:17 PM

He’s “active” enough to bang out 2 kids after 60, not too bad in my book.

omnipotent on October 4, 2007 at 12:41 PM

P.S. I’m 6′2″ and 2 bills

tommylotto on October 4, 2007 at 12:17 PM

No, just dishonesty. I never said, suggested or implied that Fred was massively superior what I said was at 6’6″ and 330lbs he is physically larger than the vast majority of Americans and that many many people find people of such size to be physically intimidating.

For an individual of your size to suggest otherwise indicates that either you are profoundly obtuse or being intentionally dishonest. Considering the propensity you have shown towards intellectual dishonesty in many other threads here I am forced to go with intentional dishonesty.

doriangrey on October 4, 2007 at 1:09 PM

He’s “active” enough to bang out 2 kids after 60, not too bad in my book.
omnipotent on October 4, 2007 at 12:41 PM

Another reason to distrust Fred — he is obviously beholden to the pharmaceutical companies…

MWUHAAAHAAA

tommylotto on October 4, 2007 at 1:42 PM

Eye candy on steroids. Jeri is a babe.
Four years of Fred! means four years of Jeri.

But, I must admit. If Rudiani wins, we will
have two shirts for the price of one.

Rudi GOP nominee=third party choice

saved on October 4, 2007 at 1:51 PM

No, just dishonesty. I never said, suggested or implied that Fred was massively superior what I said was at 6′6″ and 330lbs he is physically larger than the vast majority of Americans and that many many people find people of such size to be physically intimidating.

doriangrey on October 4, 2007 at 1:09 PM

No, that point was made by dan on October 4, 2007 at 1:28 AM. You went on to gush about Fred like a school girl:

“they just are not getting a true sense of his size.”
“resembles a small moving mountain”
“eight or ten inches”
“effort to not frighten or intimidate those around him who are smaller than himself.”

You guys should get a room… ;-)

MWuHaaHaa

tommylotto on October 4, 2007 at 1:51 PM

Eye candy on steroids. Jeri is a babe.
Four years of Fred! means four years of Jeri.

But, I must admit. If Rudiani wins, we will
have two shirts skirts for the price of one.

Rudi GOP nominee=third party choice

saved on October 4, 2007 at 1:52 PM

I’m 6′4″ 185lbs. techno_barbarian on October 4, 2007 at 11:23 AM
What are you? A Dominican pitcher?

tommylotto on October 4, 2007 at 11:39 AM

Bwhahahahaaa! Nope. Just a plain old average American.

And for the record, my only sport of choice is the only REAL sport there is; Hockey!

Go Stars! ;)

techno_barbarian on October 4, 2007 at 1:53 PM

doriangrey on October 4, 2007 at 11:49 AM

P.S. I’m 6′2″ and 2 bills
tommylotto on October 4, 2007 at 12:17 PM

Wow. What a brilliant summary of exactly what his point was.

I’m going to have to completely re-evaluate my opinion of you. Apparently, you are a taller-than-average idiot. Congratulations.

logis on October 4, 2007 at 1:54 PM

doriangrey on October 4, 2007 at 11:49 AM

Yep. I deal with that all the time.

I have always gone out of my way to try to make people comfortable around me because of my size.

Big guys often give off the ‘big slow oaf’ vibe. But some of us aren’t that slow. I’ve used that a time or two to my advantage. ;)

Fred! may be doing the same, but I don’t presume to speak for him or anyone else.

techno_barbarian on October 4, 2007 at 2:02 PM

P.S. I’m 6′2″ and 2 bills

tommylotto on October 4, 2007 at 12:17 PM

I didn’t see anybody claim Fred!’s superior because of his size.

Seems you’re the one spinning here.

techno_barbarian on October 4, 2007 at 2:04 PM

I, for one, enjoyed seeing the children. Fred appears like a good father with his four-year-old daughter – she was relaxed, normal, and happy – and that says a lot to me. I loved her counting 7, 8, etc.

Carol on October 4, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Carol on October 4, 2007 at 2:48 PM

I thought that myself, on top of that you got to know having Sean Hannity show up with all of FoxNews camera crew and equipment isn’t exactly a low profile situation. For Fred’s daughter to be that relaxed with all those strangers around says a great deal about Fred Thompson the father.

doriangrey on October 4, 2007 at 2:57 PM

If only he’d stop making boneheaded mistakes…

It’s hard to stay focused when you’ve got over $10 million sitting in a war chest that could legally (but not ethically) end up in your families pockets. (not that ethical behavior has ever been Fred’s strong suit)

He’s been standing behind his kids since the “I’ve been with you all along” video. This is the mentality of a 40 something woman who is just old enough to understand the values of family, but too inexperienced to know how people REALLY treat their families during campaigns.

This guy gets more pathetic the more he opens his mouth.

csdeven on October 4, 2007 at 3:13 PM

This guy gets more pathetic the more he opens his mouth.

csdeven on October 4, 2007 at 3:13 PM

Sadly, so do you cs. So do you.

techno_barbarian on October 4, 2007 at 3:23 PM

Sadly, so do you cs. So do you.

techno_barbarian on October 4, 2007 at 3:23 PM

It’s called desperation, its the feeling one gets while waiting for the fire department to show up while watching the flames totally engulf their house.

doriangrey on October 4, 2007 at 3:44 PM

tommylotto on October 4, 2007 at 12:17 PM

The groupies never cease to amaze me with their spinning of reality. Fred feels sorry for little folks because he’s so tough and intimidating.

GOOD GRAVY!!! The guy lobbied for a dictator and against victims of asbestos poisoning. The guy disgusts me when I see him.

csdeven on October 4, 2007 at 4:01 PM

csdeven on October 4, 2007 at 4:01 PM

Mitt groupies. Is there a lower level they won’t sink to?

Guess we’ll find out.

techno_barbarian on October 4, 2007 at 4:08 PM

I loved her counting 7, 8, etc.

Carol on October 4, 2007 at 2:48 PM

Kind of sad to see fred starting her out so young in counting up campaign contributions….

Bradky on October 4, 2007 at 6:10 PM

techno_barbarian on October 4, 2007 at 4:08 PM

Who is a Mitt groupie? Not I, as I have never thrown my support behind any one candidate.

csdeven on October 4, 2007 at 6:44 PM

Jeri Thompson is a fake also. Her 4 year old daughter asks her why women are treated differently? Look at the kid, she’s not interested in womans rights, she’s interested in shoving rubber yarmulke’s down her throat.

These two idiots are so transparently fake it’s laughable. They are obviously targeting the brain dead vote. ANYONE who buys that load of fakery these two are selling are engaged in the willing suspension of disbelief.

csdeven on October 4, 2007 at 6:52 PM

Bradky on October 4, 2007 at 6:10 PM

I usually read your posts to extract potentially useful things that I wouldn’t normally consider myself. I don’t always agree with you, but I do give you an honest listen.

That said, that’s a pretty dark and cynical comment, Bradky. Do you really believe what you’re saying? Or are you just firing for effect? How does this advance honest debate? Do you honestly believe Fred’s that devious and evil?

He ain’t perfect, but he’s also not the boogie-man he’s being portrayed as.

Let’s see how things go, and support whomever the nominee is. Cool?

techno_barbarian on October 4, 2007 at 7:00 PM

csdeven on October 4, 2007 at 6:44 PM

Whatever you say, cs. Sure don’t hear anywhere near the level of vitriol for any of the other candidates, though. Wonder why that is?

techno_barbarian on October 4, 2007 at 7:01 PM

Jeri is 40ish? Well, she acts like it. Their entire campaign is steeped in superficial picking of the low hanging fruit. Just enough to fool well intention yet misguided folks into sending them their hard earned cash.

So lets get this straight, Fred says Dobson has never met him and that is supposed to discredit Dobson? Really Fred? REALLY? Most people have never met you, especially your idiotic groupie supporters. So lets apply the same standard OK?

JEEZE! What a shallow fake clown! Your words and actions are all we can go by and by using that standard, what Dobson says is as valid as anything any of your idiot groupies say.

The bottom line, and I mean THE BOTTOM LINE, is that Fred has lobbied for a dictator and against victims of asbestos poisoning. He has given legal advice to terrorists and apparently was mistaken that the Reps held the Judiciary committee when he was asked to sheperd Roberts through his nomination process.

I think the FEC commission should immediately investigate Fred’s campaign finances and see if he has already begun to get his ducks in a row to funnel his $10 million war chest into his families pockets.

NO candidate can be as stupid as Fred is acting, yet still think he can win the nomination. I believe it is very possible that Fred is scuttling his campaign on purpose and it needs to be investigated.

So Fred wont talk to Dobson. Great, he’s scared of Michael Moore and now Dobson.

Brilliant!

csdeven on October 4, 2007 at 7:12 PM

I was bored into oblivion during the interview so I turned it off after 5 minutes. Sorry, I just was and I fail to see the hotness of Mrs. Fred.

Unless Hannity has someone interesting on, I don’t watch much anymore.

Geral-DOH! is so annoying, I turn the tv off when he’s on too unless MM is on. Then I suffer through/mute him just to hear her.

We better come up with an acceptable candidate kids, or we will be under Hillary.

PoliticallyIncorrectSandy on October 4, 2007 at 7:16 PM

techno_barbarian on October 4, 2007 at 7:01 PM

The rest of the candidates, and that includes Ron Paul, are not fakes and liars. They didn’t lobby for scum and they didn’t give advise to terrorists.

Rudy makes no excuses for his liberal views.
Mitt addresses his “evolution” towards stricter conservatism as a change of heart through a deeper understanding of the issues.
Ron Paul is the most honest of the entire group. Honestly insane, but honest just the same.

csdeven on October 4, 2007 at 7:17 PM

csdeven on October 4, 2007 at 6:52 PM

You sound just like shrillery.

techno_barbarian on October 4, 2007 at 7:18 PM

cs,

I wish you were half as clever as you think you are.

I can’t speak for anyone but myself, but in my opinion people who espouse the things you do chase potential gop voters away with all the endlessly repeatitive negativity and the weak bombastic and disrespectful name-calling.

They also make me want to visit HotAir a whole lot less.

techno_barbarian on October 4, 2007 at 7:28 PM

techno_barbarian on October 4, 2007 at 7:00 PM

As I’ve mentioned before if one can’t have a sense of humor about politics it is absolutely no fun to talk about.

To answer your question, I don’t think Fred is evil or devious. He just doesn’t strike me as particularly inspiring and I don’t think he can pull off the electoral win in the general.

Bradky on October 4, 2007 at 7:53 PM

Jeri is smart and a looker.

Dr. Dobson doesn’t speak for me.

Captain America on October 4, 2007 at 8:15 PM

They also make me want to visit HotAir a whole lot less.

techno_barbarian on October 4, 2007 at 7:28 PM

Awwwww……cry us a river you sissy!

csdeven on October 4, 2007 at 8:15 PM

Sorry, long day and I didn’t get to play!

That sounds like a pro-choice candidate.
tommylotto on October 4, 2007 at 11:34 AM

If the decision were in a vacuum, maybe I’d buy that argument. However, when you have a statement from the chairman of the Right to Life organization saying Fred had a 100 percent rating for them on RTL issues, your argument doesn’t hold water. It’s not me claiming it; it’s not Fred claiming it. It’s their score on him.

Tennman on October 4, 2007 at 8:48 PM

Bradky on October 4, 2007 at 7:53 PM

I get that you don’t like him, but I didn’t get the humor about what you said about his daughter. Seemed a needlessly low thing to do.

I agree about having a sense of humor. I’m seeing precious little of that on display here.

techno_barbarian on October 4, 2007 at 9:43 PM

Awwwww……cry us a river you sissy!

csdeven on October 4, 2007 at 8:15 PM

Ah yes. Yet another example of your oh-so-wanting communication skills. Your tactics of attack, name-calling, and intimidation shouldn’t be allowed here, but for some reason they are. I’ve been watching the changes in the HotAir comments for the past several months and the level of discourse and debate have steadily declined. It sounds more like kos everyday.

You lower the quality of discourse on HA with your childish comments. You’re an unhinged wannabe thug with a keyboard who would crap his diaper if you ever came face to face with me.

I admire Entel and Limerick for trying to deal with you rationally, but you’re definitely not rational.

techno_barbarian on October 4, 2007 at 10:00 PM

Although I’m with Fred!, I have changed my vote.
Jeri Thompson for President!

BemusedMalkinite on October 4, 2007 at 10:41 PM