Video: SNL’s lame goof on Ahmadinejad

posted at 7:47 pm on September 30, 2007 by Allahpundit

Worth posting just to stop the stream of tips about it. It’s Andy Samberg reprising his Lazy Sunday/D*** in a Box white-dork-does-hip-hop shtick, with surprisingly witless results. Do you like having the entire comic premise of a skit telegraphed within the first 15 seconds and then beaten to death for three minutes? Do you find closeted-homophobe jokes even funnier the trillionth time around? Then hold on to those sides and prepare yourself for Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in a dress. Yeah, a dress!

It’s a vintage example of what Ace calls “clapper” humor, where the audience laughs not because there’s anything particularly funny happening but to signal its agreement with the political line being taken. Ahmadinejad is a gay-hating savage, ergo this skit is funny. See also Margaret Cho, Jon Stewart, Stephen Colbert, etc etc.

Comments

Yeah… I got big crocodile tears for the Ahmadinejad.

Maxx on September 30, 2007 at 7:54 PM

I was going to tell you to post this when I saw it at Michelle’s. Welcome back AP

abinitioadinfinitum on September 30, 2007 at 7:55 PM

Eh, I thought it was kind of funny.

2Brave2Bscared on September 30, 2007 at 8:00 PM

Allah,
Where ya been? I’ve been missing your take on things. Glad to see you back.

Clip is pretty weak like most of SNL. Wouldn’t compare SNL to Colbert though since he has the energy that SNL hasn’t had in a few decades. Like or hate Colbert the density of his cultural references goes beyond what SNL attempts these days, and he has to put it together 4 times a week.

dedalus on September 30, 2007 at 8:01 PM

Holy cow (no offense to Hindus), Allah is back in the house! Welcome back, hope you’re feeling better.

Zorro on September 30, 2007 at 8:01 PM

ahh AP nice to see you back

ernesto on September 30, 2007 at 8:06 PM

Welcome back the Void has been filled.

Ahmadijon isn’t gay…I don’t think animals count.

tomas on September 30, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Welcome back AP

Spirit of 1776 on September 30, 2007 at 8:08 PM

Did they give you Demerol? That’s what the gave me before knocking me out totally when my wisdoms were extracted. Were I to be a junkie, Demerol would be my drug of choice. As a demonstration of how high I was, it made me love everyone.

baldilocks on September 30, 2007 at 8:14 PM

I thought the SNL guy looked more like Saddam…

SouthernGent on September 30, 2007 at 8:15 PM

Lame or not we need about 6 million DVDs made and packed into the bomb bay of a B-2.

Limerick on September 30, 2007 at 8:16 PM

Did they give you Demerol?

Nope. Just four shots of novocaine and then some Vicodin for after the numbness wore off to treat the pain — of which there was exceedingly little. I couldn’t have asked for a better experience.

Allahpundit on September 30, 2007 at 8:20 PM

C’mon, man… that was pretty well done. Obviously a parody, obviously a slap, but… what’s your beef?

wccawa on September 30, 2007 at 8:25 PM

I thought the Jake Gyllenhaal gag was kinda funny.

Big S on September 30, 2007 at 8:28 PM

Nice to have you back – with the useful wisdom intact!

Tru2my2 on September 30, 2007 at 8:37 PM

No, unless you think Hitler in Little Nicky was “clapper”-icious too.

TheEJS on September 30, 2007 at 8:39 PM

I liked it.

frankj on September 30, 2007 at 8:55 PM

Demerol has no effect on me. I was once admitted to the emergency room with ballooning of the large intestine, and they gave me Demerol. Had no effect. So I begged for more. Still no effect. So I begged for more. Still no effect. They wouldn’t give me any more so I screamed for the next 4 hours until the ballooning subsided on its own.

I asked them to kill me an hour into it, but they said they weren’t allowed to do that. So I asked them to put me under, but that was a non-starter as well. They were very unhelpful.

I don’t know what a person has to do to in that hospital to get morphine.

Oh yes, this was a socialized medicine hospital. You know, universal health care. The kind Hillary and Moore probably want to give you Americans. Take it from me, if that ever happens, pray to gawd that you can still keep a firearm, because if you ever get a ballooned intestine, you will need it to finish yourself off because commie hospitals are pretty stingy with the pain killers.

I got the worst of both worlds, Demerol for a pain killer, and as a Canadian, no right to a gun.

jihadwatcher on September 30, 2007 at 9:00 PM

That was weird, why did my comment now show up?

RightWinged on September 30, 2007 at 9:03 PM

This is the perfect example of the limits of what Hollywood considers important. Ahmadinejad supplies and trains people who kill our troops; he holds an international conference for Holocaust deniers complete with Klan member and neo-Nazis; he openly advocates the destruction of a UN member state; he oppressed and tortures a variety of domestic opponents (journalists, unions, women, religious minorities) – and none of this seems to bother the vocal left in the US. But when he says ‘there are no gays in Iran’ the left, including the media left, attack him. This is the topic that stiffens the spine of the American left. This is the limit of what they will tolerate.

You can piss on the graves of our troops; you can deny and mock the Holocaust; you can threaten genocide against Jews; you can fill prisons with dissidents – but if you deny that there are gays then the left decides you’ve gone too far.

I would think that a skit mocking Ahmadinejad and the Holocaust denial conference would have been easy to write and possibly quite funny. Even a bit mocking his 2006 speech at the UN (the one where he saw a light holding the people in their seats, transfixed) would have been low-hanging fruit.

Look, Ahmadinejad is a short, poorly dressed, mystical loony,with a fragile ego and delusions of destiny. It shouldn’t be hard to write this stuff. I think it is very telling of the values and priorities of the left and the media (including lame SNL comics doomed to small roles on cable sitcoms) that they only deem Ahmadinejad worthy of comment or ridicule when he steps on teh ghey toes.

I also think it’s telling how defensive the media is about teh gheys in general. Some guy on Gray’s Anatomy calls a man ‘fag’ off-camera and he’s forced to apologize before being fired and going to therapy. Another comic tells says “Suck it, Jesus” before an audience of many hundreds and she continues her so-called career unhindered.

Christians, Israel, and Whitey are fair game (as long as they’re heterosexuals). Insult teh gheys or the Mohammadeans and the PC Big Sister comes down on you. Hard. You’re deemed either insane or ideologically impure. Sound familiar?

Thomas the Wraith on September 30, 2007 at 9:10 PM

Holy cow (no offense to Hindus),

Zorro on September 30, 2007 at 8:01 PM

none taken.

hinduconservative on September 30, 2007 at 9:15 PM

Allah,
Where ya been?

dedalus on September 30, 2007 at 8:01 PM

Searching for God?

MB4 on September 30, 2007 at 9:16 PM

you fanboys call this lame and then rave over MKH’s work.

tlynch001 on September 30, 2007 at 9:18 PM

Thomas the Wraith on September 30, 2007 at 9:10 PM

for the win………Oh and welcome back AP..even minus the wisdom…..er, teeth… :)

doriangrey on September 30, 2007 at 9:19 PM

Thomas the Wraith on September 30, 2007 at 9:10 PM

I think it is called the second inquisition. Probably being done by the reincarnation of the same folks who did the first one.

MB4 on September 30, 2007 at 9:20 PM

A good dentist, eh? Consider yourself lucky, AllahPundit. And welcome back. Glad to see you’re healthy and in fine form.

Thomas the Wraith on September 30, 2007 at 9:25 PM

Welcome back, AP. When can I expect to see the obligatory “Met collapse worst EVAH” post?

Kid from Brooklyn on September 30, 2007 at 9:27 PM

Allah’s in the House!

amerpundit on September 30, 2007 at 9:32 PM

Yes, AP! I will echo waht everyone else has written: welcome back! It’s good to read you again.

Weight of Glory on September 30, 2007 at 9:33 PM

When can I expect to see the obligatory “Met collapse worst EVAH” post?

SPEAK NOT OF THIS AGAIN.

Allahpundit on September 30, 2007 at 9:35 PM

Allah’s in the House!

amerpundit on September 30, 2007 at 9:32 PM

At ease. Smoke em if you’ve got em.

MB4 on September 30, 2007 at 9:42 PM

This was a stupid video. It wasn’t even mildly funny, but whatevs. I’m WAY out of the age demographic for SNL at this point. And I still think that Unfrozen Cave Man Lawyer and Old Glory Robot Insurance was the perfection.

mjk on September 30, 2007 at 9:56 PM

SPEAK NOT OF THIS AGAIN.

I’d say that it’s sweeter than Christmas, but then I’d be stealing.

Exit Question 1: Does the Willie Randolph and Omar Minaya death watch begin now, or after the Series?

Exit Question 2: Doesn’t Wilpon HAVE to throw a Steinbrenner tantrum now, in order to prove he can hang?

Kid from Brooklyn on September 30, 2007 at 9:56 PM

Fear not, my friend, for your time is coming. When A-Rod does his patented 1-for-15 routine with ten double plays against the Indians, the celebration shall last long into the night.

Long.

Allahpundit on September 30, 2007 at 10:00 PM

Allahpundit on September 30, 2007 at 8:20 PM

Glad it wasn’t a bad experience for you. I had a wisdom tooth taken out many years ago in Tokyo Japan when I was in the Army and it was sooo painful. I’ll never forget it. The tooth was growing in sideways and so they had to break it in half to get it out. Took almost an hour to get it all out and I almost passed out a couple of times. Ugg!

WildBillK on September 30, 2007 at 10:04 PM

Allahpundit on September 30, 2007 at 10:00 PM

This, compadre, is the magic that walk years are made of. A-Rod has 240 to 300 million reasons to perform this October.

Fear the Empire Reborn!

P.S…. can’t have that obligatory Met post without appropriate photography.

Kid from Brooklyn on September 30, 2007 at 10:14 PM

Welcome back Allah! Glad you’re recovering nicely.

inviolet on September 30, 2007 at 10:19 PM

Good lord. I swear, it took two minutes for him to pull all four teeth. One to the other: a little mini-crowbar action followed by the pliers. Twenty seconds each for three of the teeth and then a minute or so for the one on the lower left.

MM was praying for me. I credit her.

Allahpundit on September 30, 2007 at 10:19 PM

Thomas the Wraith on September 30, 2007 at 9:10 PM

Well said, good points !

Maxx on September 30, 2007 at 10:20 PM

Did not think this was funny at all, but then I think SNL has been lame for years now. The skit was telling though. Their choice of what to mock about one of the world’s worst leaders in recent history shows that they:

a) don’t believe he’s done all the other stuff he’s been accused of.
b) don’t care what he has done, is doing, or may do.
c) only care about themselves, but they need a cause (besides hating Bush) and the gay issue is close to home.
d) all of the above.

4shoes on September 30, 2007 at 10:21 PM

Allahpundit on September 30, 2007 at 10:19 PM

Wowsers…..four wisdom teeth in one sitting, you da man AP……You da man……

doriangrey on September 30, 2007 at 10:26 PM

Thomas the Wraith on September 30, 2007 at 9:10 PM

I agree. I just finished seeing an episode of ‘Cold Case’ where I group of teenage Christians stone a girl to death….
ridiculous.

terryannonline on September 30, 2007 at 10:26 PM

Oh yes, this was a socialized medicine hospital.

jihadwatcher on September 30, 2007 at 9:00 PM

So was mine–US military. Due to that fact–and the fact of you being Canadian–I would guess that I have done fewer drugs that you.

(Don’t hurt me; I’m just funnin’.)

BTW, my awakening was far less pleasant.

When the nurses/technicians woke me up after the surgery, I was lying flat, still bleeding and the lip-spreader was still inserted in my mouth. Being still slightly under sedation, I panicked, simply because liquid–my blood–was going down my throat and I felt as though I were drowning. I tried to sit up but couldn’t. I couldn’t even open my eyes, but I could hear that there were at least two people in the room. I tried to say something, but, since the lip spreader was in, nothing was heard but my grunts and gags.

Instead of taking the lip-spreader out, one idiot put her ear to my lips and said “what?” My grunting got louder, which, fortunately for me, forced the blood out of my throat. Finally, a more intelligent soul in the room removed the lip-spreader. I remember saying something like: “You stupid b*tch! Sit me up so I don’t drown in my own f*cking blood!” They sat me up.

baldilocks on September 30, 2007 at 10:37 PM

I too had a good experience having my wisdom teeth out. Had them all out in the afternoon and was out disco dancing
that night. Ah, the 70s. Good times.

As for “When can I expect to see the obligatory “Met collapse worst EVAH” post?”, remember the 2004 CHOKE!! post? Truly the creator of worlds was in paradise that day.

Bad Penny on September 30, 2007 at 11:35 PM

jihadwatcher on September 30, 2007 at 9:00 PM

Not to be disrespectful or anything, but isn’t ballooning of the intestine a polite way of saying you had gas? Why not just fart and get it over with?

bloggless on September 30, 2007 at 11:53 PM

You all do know what they do with extracted wisdom teeth, don’t you???????

bloggless on September 30, 2007 at 11:55 PM

You all do know what they do with extracted wisdom teeth, don’t you???????

That noise that happens when you shake a spray paint can? That’s a person’s wisdom tooth!!!

That one, bloggless?

mjk on October 1, 2007 at 12:07 AM

I found it a very catchy tune, and will add to my non-Apple Zune player.

Vincenzo on October 1, 2007 at 12:13 AM

Welcome back, Big A. You’re still in good form.

jaime on October 1, 2007 at 12:51 AM

Allah,
Where ya been?

dedalus on September 30, 2007 at 8:01 PM

Searching for God?

Clever one, MB4. Looks to me like God was at the dentist.

dedalus on October 1, 2007 at 12:51 AM

Oh, the glories of socialized medicine…a couple of years ago the Navy managed to completely f*ck up a simple root canal. So they had to extract the tooth…with a hammer and chisel. No sh!t, they blindfolded me for it, and all I got was as much novacaine as my liver could handle. They were in there for over an hour.

In comparison, never had any problems with civilian dentists.

JollyRoger on October 1, 2007 at 12:52 AM

That show is STILL on the air??

Jeeeze, I haven’t bothered with it since the early 1980s!

Warner Todd Huston on October 1, 2007 at 2:18 AM

MM was praying for me. I credit her.

Allahpundit on September 30, 2007 at 10:19 PM

Whoa, that’s awesome. Toothache’s still a b-tch, but if all four teeth were poking through the surface of the gums, it should be a lot easier to heal. When they’re buried they have to cut through flesh to get to them, and it usually takes 2-3 weeks for the swelling to go down, to be able to open your jaw, and all the rest…youch! Speaking of which, I hope you’ve picked out some decent food to drink for the next few days! :-)

RD on October 1, 2007 at 3:22 AM

Too unoriginal, too unfunny, too long. In other words, classic SNL.

greggish on October 1, 2007 at 5:35 AM

It was cute. Not “D*** In a Box” or “Lazy Sunday” cute, but cute.

It’s sad that the Digital Shorts are the only thing on SNL worth watching nowadays.

ScoopPC11 on October 1, 2007 at 7:27 AM

I thought it was kinda funny.

Mike Honcho on October 1, 2007 at 7:42 AM

It wasn’t great, but I liked it.

The opening skit was Amy Poehler as Hillary dissing the other Dems. She called Edwards a “two-faced, phony ratbastard”, and the audience seemed appreciative. I have to give them credit for being even-handed. The Pelosi “Palomino!” skit was hilarious.

juliesa on October 1, 2007 at 9:43 AM

It’s much funnier if you imagine Ahmadinejad seeing it on YouTube.

jtdavies on October 1, 2007 at 2:56 PM