Behold the phony soldiers epidemic

posted at 11:05 am on September 29, 2007 by Bryan

It’s not just Jesse MacBeth and the other assorted clowns who’ve popped up to sneak a little bit of Winter Soldier action for themselves. Influence Peddler has the scoop: The phony soldier phenomenon is so widespread that Congress has taken action to stop it. Some of them claim soldier status to get headlines denouncing the war; most are just in it for the VA money.

Justice Department officials in Washington state detailed Porter’s story, along with seven other people accused of — or already convicted of — being military frauds, during a news conference Friday on VA fakers.

“We take it seriously because this money is meant for veterans, not for fakers,” James O’Neill, assistant inspector general for the VA’s office of investigations, told Military Times.

The IP has quite a bit more, including links to an entire website devoted to tracking phony soldiers. So it would seem that Rush was on terra firma when he talked about phony soldiers the other day.

Comments

Bryan: Longtime Hot Air readers already knew that, of course. Perhaps Media Matters readers are finally learning about it.

I hope this lesson is also a very very painful and expensive lesson for Soro’s and company.

doriangrey on September 29, 2007 at 11:17 AM

Media Matters and their ilk need to learn a painful lesson, but I’m afraid that they won’t.

Unfortunately, the damage has already been done – most people have moved on to the next subject. They have conveniently cataloged in their brain that Rush and OReilly are racists.

Mission accomplished.

Dr. Gecko on September 29, 2007 at 11:28 AM

“Learning”??? you give these cads too much credit if you assume for one minute that they are even teachable. They are not interested in truth ,facts or advancement .They are about power and taking other people’s money.

bbz123 on September 29, 2007 at 11:28 AM

VA has had a computer system that can bring up the details or tell them whether a person is a vet or not in about 30 seconds for years.

they get about one person a day claiming veterans status at each activity but who are phony and this has been going on for about 50 years.

this dosen’t count the 2-3 times a day when bumbs go into their cafeterias, order food and then refuse to pay because “the government owes it to them, cause the’re a vet”.

99% not.

C

pk on September 29, 2007 at 11:33 AM

bbz123 on September 29, 2007 at 11:28 AM

No, they are capable of learning, but only when it costs them lots of money and influence.

doriangrey on September 29, 2007 at 11:33 AM

It’s OK that they’re not really soldiers, because they’re committed to telling a higher truth!

/moonbat

Insomniac on September 29, 2007 at 11:51 AM

Its sad how many people pretend they’re retired military to get benefits.

Bad Candy on September 29, 2007 at 12:02 PM

Perhaps I may be accused of having no hope, but I don’t think the MoveOn crowd will ever stop this penchant for trashing the military this way. It’s genetic, I swear.

MNDavenotPC on September 29, 2007 at 12:03 PM

MNDavenotPC on September 29, 2007 at 12:03 PM

Sadly you are probably right.

doriangrey on September 29, 2007 at 12:06 PM

Mission accomplished.

Dr. Gecko on September 29, 2007 at 11:28 AM

Not so sure. Rush’s mission is already largely accomplished. Don’t get me wrong. I love him, and think he’s a national treasure. But if he went off the air today, his message would live on. And that is, that there is a liberal menace in our land that hijacked the media a long time ago and spreads half-truths, falsehoods, and an alien ideology. Plummeting subscription rates to MSM newspapers, magazines, and dwindling viewers of MSM network news and cable channels are proof of Rush’s success.

O’Reilly’s situation is a little different because he’s part of the new television that is trying to replace “traditional” MSM TV with itself. You might say FOX is trying not so much to do what Rush does, as it is a beneficiary of what Rush has already done. Without Rush, there would have been no Fox. So to a certain extent, Rush is immune, while O’Reilly, an overall lesser value target than Rush, is second best.

JiangxiDad on September 29, 2007 at 12:09 PM

There’s always been something surreal about the Soros operation. I can’t see earlier generations of Americans being willing to put up with a rich foreigner trying to take over our politics and culture with thuggery and propaganda. Before the 20th century, we would have declared him an enemy combatant and eliminated him. FDR would have thrown him in prison, and even as recently as JFK’s day, he would have been a declared enemy of the American people, a shamed and shadowy fringe figure with no real influence, no matter how much money he throws around. Of course, that would require an essentially patriotic mainstream media to shine the proper spotlight on him. Instead, we have the amazing spectacle of our collective MSM taking orders from him, running information fed through his front groups without the slightest scrutiny or fact-checking. There’s not much we can do except sue his front operations into oblivion. I’d suggest starting by making sure everyone involved in Media Matters does long, hard prison time for tax fraud, since they’ve been claiming to be a “non-profit, non-political” organization, and this would be childishly easy to disprove. It looks like MoveOn.org is starting to bleed some serious cash, and that’s a hopeful sign… not even Soros’ money is bottomless.

Doctor Zero on September 29, 2007 at 12:10 PM

Thanks to you fine folks here at HotAir, this week I had my eyes opened to just how far and in just how many different directions the soros tentacles reach and connect with those whose aim is the overthrow and destruction of the USA as we know it.

He and his minions need to be brought down hard, and soon.

Hmmm… soros… The name is really close to Sauron, in more ways than one.

techno_barbarian on September 29, 2007 at 12:23 PM

Question: did Media Matters support any of these phony soldiers (particularly Macbeth) before it was discovered they were phony?

JinxMcHue on September 29, 2007 at 12:24 PM

Let’s just say they are both very white bread. They really need to learn alittle bit more about diversity, as does the Republican Party outside of the Northeast.

O’Reilly’s comments only demonstrate exactly what he is – clueless. And Rush Limbaugh is what he is – a typical born and raised suburban Country Club Republican, like Ann Coulter.

Diversity will only help the party, not hinder it. Newt was right, but as usual the idealogues are not listening. They would rather defend Rush and O;Reilly then deal with the reality of the situation.

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 12:36 PM

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 12:36 PM

I’m striking out everything you said as a favor to you, so you don’t get hit with a ton of bricks on the way out.

I’ve always thought you’re crazy and now you’ve just confirmed it.
Want me to go back and pull out all the other baseless insults of yours?
You’ll be begging for mercy, if I find it worth my time to do so.

Since you are a truly worthless nitwit, you sure aren’t worth my time.

Get a frigging life already!

Mcguyver on September 29, 2007 at 12:55 PM

Mcguyver on September 29, 2007 at 12:55 PM

Ha ha ha, AprilOrit is one of those conservative only in her mind Republican In Name Only Manhattanites…A self confessed, although nobody asked her or even wanted to know Manhattan Jewish Princes…

doriangrey on September 29, 2007 at 1:13 PM

Two phrases that are irritating the hell out of me: ” for the children” and ” diversity will help”; a pox on all who use these.

MNDavenotPC on September 29, 2007 at 1:16 PM

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 12:36 PM

I respectfully disagree with your position, in that those in leadership positions on the dem left have for a long time now most closely resembled the corrupt fat cat republican caricatures those on the left hold in so much perpetual contempt.

I also note just how little influence those ‘diversities’ actually seem to have as democrats, after their votes have been, once again, bought with promises the dems never intended to keep.

Doesn’t that strike you as in any way duplicitous and hypocritical?

Diversity for diversity’s sake is no virtue, though I’m strongly supportive of a true voice for all. Without that respect for a true voice for all, it’s just a concept that makes for warm fuzzy feelings, but with no real reason or positive impact. It’s an empty gesture by the left, in other words.

You assume a lack of diversity, and knowledge of same, from conservatives. That’s actually kind of racist if you really think about it. In my opinion conservatism and diversity are not mutually exclusive or incongruent concepts.

And for the record, I’m all for legal immigration and the success and prosperity of those who honestly come here to build and make real their own personal American Dreams. It’s the unchecked illegal immigration and the demand of special exemptions from the laws that govern legal US Citizens that has me concerned for the sovereignty of my Nation.

And that’s a legitimate concern.

techno_barbarian on September 29, 2007 at 1:22 PM

MNDavenotPC on September 29, 2007 at 1:16 PM

I feel your pain brother…As a conservative I believe equality is a worthy goal, but diversity is just another attack on white people.

doriangrey on September 29, 2007 at 1:23 PM

Maybe that was AprilOrit who called Rush yesterday and claimed to be a Republican!

Buy Danish on September 29, 2007 at 1:25 PM

Mcguyver on September 29, 2007 at 12:55 PM

Right, what’s the difference between you guys and the Kos Kids? You both want a one party system…LOL. You are ridiculous, and in the immortal words of Bill O’Reilly –

“Rush Limbaugh is an entertainer, nothing he says should be taken seriously.”

But he’s you Tin Jesus becuase he is going to get the Libs…blah, blah, blah. And you call the Kos kids and Bill Maher nasty?

I rest my case. You guys want a one party system in America which is the most Un-American thing this side of hell. You guys, like Rush and the DKosers would rather innalilate and smear your opponents then bring this Nation together, and for that you should be ashamed, or better yet, deported.

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 1:44 PM

Buy Danish on September 29, 2007 at 1:25 PM

Oh Buy Danish, you’re so funny…not.

I wouldn’t waste my time, I don’t walk in lockstep with the rest of you, thanks. Doing the goosestep in unison only leads to bad things down the road….

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 1:46 PM

If you listen to Rush Limbaugh I really don’t believe that…

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 1:48 PM

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 1:44 PM

You couldn’t be more clueless if somebody took your credit cards away…

doriangrey on September 29, 2007 at 1:51 PM

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 1:44 PM

And what is it that YOU want? Sounds like you want a one party system too, only with the feckless, craven, and ineffective (some, like me, would take it further and call it seditious and treasonous) ‘progressives’ in charge.

I don’t want to annihilate and smear my opponents. Exposing words and actions, in context, isn’t smearing. It’s called stating the truth and looking at the situation rationally. But that seems a foreign concept to you.

I’ve got no use for BOR at all. Same with Hannity and about 85% of the other FNC personalities. Rush may be arrogant and confident, but that doesn’t make him wrong. I think that’s what enrages his opposition. They know he’s right, but resent his confidence and ability to express himself. The weak hate the confident.

The difference between Rush and the dkosers is that Rush uses facts and the kos kiddies simply make things up, stick their collective fingers in their ears, and shout incoherently till the opposition realizes no progress with them is possible.

In other words, no real comparison is possible or valid.

techno_barbarian on September 29, 2007 at 1:56 PM

If you listen to Rush Limbaugh I really don’t believe that…

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 1:48 PM

So, because I happen to agree with some of the things that Rush says, I’m automatically branded a liar by you?

Why, that’s damned tolerant of you, April. Does it actually make a sound in your head when your mind slams shut like that?

techno_barbarian on September 29, 2007 at 1:58 PM

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 1:46 PM

But you and most of the other lefties have no problem goosestepping along with soros and his minions.

Nice Orwellian mindset you’ve got going there, April. Find a mirror and gaze intently into it, because you’ve got some major DLP projection going on.

techno_barbarian on September 29, 2007 at 2:00 PM

AprilOrit

For someone who claims to be an independent thinker, you bear a remarkable resemblance to a parrot (virtually speaking of course) and you lack any capacity to string a coherent thought or sentence together.

Buy Danish on September 29, 2007 at 2:00 PM

Of course, anyone who comes here illegally belongs in jail, there should be no sancutary cities including my own, period. They should all be forced to leave re-apply the correct- legal way.

I don’t need to listen to Rush Limbaugh to know that or to convince me of that or anything else. I do not need a steady diet of him making fun of people and calling his enemies names. It’s childish banter, better left to children.

And I personally steer clear of bomb throwers like Rush, Coulter, Michael Savage, Bill Maher, Rosie O’Donnell, Sean Penn, Glenn Beck, Neal Boortz, Al Franken, Janine Garofolo, Tim Robbins etc.

These people are leading the easily led down the wrong path. I just refuse to give any of them audience, I wouldn’t waste my time because I love my country far too much for such partisan dribble and elephant and donkey dust.

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 2:05 PM

AprilOrit

And you sound like a definite Talk Radio addict who only knows how to insult those who have a differing opinion.

Have a nice day:)

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 2:06 PM

techno_barbarian on September 29, 2007 at 1:58 PM

I bet you a pound of parrot seed that AprilOrit has rarely, if ever listened to Rush Limbaugh.

Just yesterday I had a discussion with a Moonbat who, after stating that Rush was an “idiot”, admitted that he had never listened to him, and said he would rather slit his throat than do so.

Ms. AprilOrit is cut of the same cloth, and is a dyed in the wool moron.

Gotta run, folks!

Buy Danish on September 29, 2007 at 2:07 PM

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 2:06 PM

I’d wish you a happy day too, but that would be cruel since Moonbats thrive in misery.

That’s the compassionate conservative in me speaking.

Buy Danish on September 29, 2007 at 2:12 PM

Of course, anyone who comes here illegally belongs in jail…

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 2:05 PM

Actually, I’d just like them out of the country, back where they came from, where they can apply and stand in line like everybody else has to. Unless they’ve committed a felony, and then I don’t want them here under any circumstances.

It’s not a matter of *needing* to listen to Rush or the others. That’s an attempted distraction and not valid as I, for one, am quite capable and willing to do my own research and form my own opinions and thoughts. That some of those thoughts and opinions run parallel to Rush’s is coincidental. It also does not invalidate the truth derrived from said research.

Boy does that ever ring hollow. Especially the ‘bomb throwers’ comment, since that seems to be exactly what you get off on doing here on HA.

Familiar with the term ‘moby’ much?

techno_barbarian on September 29, 2007 at 2:15 PM

dribble and elephant and donkey dust.
AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 2:05 PM

The only reason there’s elephant dung in here, is because you – the biggest bully around – walked in.

You should be shamed out of the room like this audience, because you make as much sense as they do with your bigoted shrill.

You, and you’re ilk are Rush’s biggest reason for existing.

Mcguyver on September 29, 2007 at 2:15 PM

Buy Danish on September 29, 2007 at 2:07 PM

Yep. Tilting against the evil windmill that Rush represents, with no first-hand knowledge of what he actually says, is standard operating procedure for the willfully ignorant and intellectually dishonest.

But April is only interested in the appearance of objectivity, not the actual substance thereof.

Which is all too typical and tiresome these days.

techno_barbarian on September 29, 2007 at 2:20 PM

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 2:05 PM

So, enlighten us, April, and tell us who you DO listen to? Who’s worthy of the attention and respect of the great and powerful AprilOrit?

techno_barbarian on September 29, 2007 at 2:25 PM

The leftists are so deeply entrenched in their mania, up is down, down is up, it’s raining monkeys and wood is now a drink.

Logic doesn’t make sense to them. This is why they always lose in the marketplace of ideas against the thrill of conservatism.

Black Adam on September 29, 2007 at 3:11 PM

Its sad how many people pretend they’re retired military to get benefits.

Bad Candy on September 29, 2007 at 12:02 PM

And they probably wouldn’t have served if you put a gun to their heads. People who do this should be prosecuted just like ones that wear military uniforms or decorations that they never earned.

Tennessee Dave on September 29, 2007 at 3:43 PM

Mcguyver on September 29, 2007 at 2:15 PM
Excellent clip !!!! Why did an image of April come up Rush talked to that crazy woman ? You can’t debate with a liberal.

SIJ6141 on September 29, 2007 at 3:57 PM

SIJ6141 on September 29, 2007 at 3:57 PM

AprilOrit just needs to be more careful with her protesting in the future.

She should wear a Beavis ‘n’ Butthead mask next time.

Mcguyver on September 29, 2007 at 4:14 PM

Exactly what I mean – the instant name calling.

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 4:23 PM

You guys are no different than Kos, same flight deck – different patients.

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 4:24 PM

You guys are no different than Kos, same flight deck – different patients.

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 4:24 PM

It takes one, to know one.

Mcguyver on September 29, 2007 at 4:34 PM

You guys are no different than Kos, same flight deck – different patients.

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 4:24 PM

Like I said, April. Major, industrial-strength-DLP projection.

You’re not responding coherently. Running away and coming back when you think nobody’s going to comment further so you can have the last word is taking a page right out of the kos kiddies’ playbook.

I’m still waiting for a reasoned response from you. I’m not calling you names. I’m trying to get you to debate with intellectual honestly rather than hyperbole.

techno_barbarian on September 29, 2007 at 4:50 PM

Like I said, April. Major, industrial-strength-DLP projection.

Excuse me, I went out to help my Grandmother with her Saturday errands before Temple and just returned.

I didn’t even read all of it, you guys treat me the same way they have treated me at Kos when I have challenged them and at the other fever swamp – Dem Underground.

I guess I am just too middle of the road, I do not listen to Talk Radio at all. I guess I will just stick to watching Bill O’Reilly and Hannity and Colmes, where both sides are represented.

And I suppose I should not post at such partisan sites, I’ve learned my lesson.

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 4:59 PM

Who’s worthy of the attention and respect of the great and powerful AprilOrit?

One other thing, I am really not that great, that respected or nearly as high-hatted as you might think.

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 5:00 PM

doriangrey on September 29, 2007 at 11:33 AM

…or a (literal) flogging

There’s not much we can do except sue his front operations into oblivion

A tragedy that; but it won’t happen, of course, because not only are the leftist courts also in his back pocket, but he also has mega-money to get the best obstructionist lawyers on the planet. Sorry, dude, but the rest of your post is just as big a fantasy as this is.

P.S.: STOP FEEDING THE APRILs TROLLS

world–>handbasket–>hell

urbancenturion on September 29, 2007 at 5:07 PM

I’m totally in support of expressing one’s opinion and responding to thoughts of others, but I do wish the personal attacks would go by the wayside. I will be the first to admit I internalize certain things but I would hope that a personal attack on my fellow writers here would be minimal in my efforts to opine.

MNDavenotPC on September 29, 2007 at 5:07 PM

Soros/Brock’s attempt to smear Rush and others over the “phony soldiers” ploy actually backfired, IMHO. It was a “one day” sensation, and most of the media outlets in my area also carried parts of Rush’s response.

I credit the right-blogosphere for the rapid response that put pressure on the MSM to “forgeddabboutit.”

Remember, media matters preaches to their choir – who already believe the worst of Limbaugh and the rest of us. But what it did was, I predict, ADD listeners to his show in the aggregate. That makes him MORE influential, not less.

In the mean time, the fisking Brock and Soros have gotten in return is still going on.

Message to Brock: “This isn’t going to be over quickly, and you’re not going to enjoy it.”

georgej on September 29, 2007 at 5:11 PM

Exactly what I mean – the instant name calling.

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 4:23 PM

If ever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
- Mark Twain

You guys are no different than Kos, same flight deck – different patients.

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 4:24 PM

I don’t like to commit myself about heaven and hell – you see, I have friends in both places.
- Mark Twain

MB4 on September 29, 2007 at 5:17 PM

So AprilOrit, are they racists are not? Answering the question with a “Let’s just say…” construction followed a “white bread” quasi-racial smear doesn’t cut it.

What is a Bill O’Reilly or a Rush Limbaugh doing or saying today that brands him or her as “white bread”, and exactly what kind of “diversity” knowledge do they lack that leaves them even remotely susceptible to the charge of racism?

Racism is a pretty serious charge, and you appear to be comfortable letting it hang out there without qualifying what the “reality of the situation” actually is.

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 12:36 PM

Which is? What situation?

RD on September 29, 2007 at 5:23 PM

Pretty soon we’re not going to have a young African-American male population in America. They’re all going to be in prison or dead. One of the two.

There can be no doubt, Rush Limbaugh and Bill O’Reilly are John Edwards is a racist.

MB4 on September 29, 2007 at 5:32 PM

AprilOrit accuses the Republican Party of not doing enough to bring diversity to it’s ranks.

The Republicans should NOT stoop to pandering in order to bring minorities in, the way the Democrats do.

The way for Republicans to bring minorities into their tent is to state a set of CLEAR and consistant tenants and beliefs, and not pander to any particular minority group. Those minorities that agree will join. Those that don’t, won’t.

That which separates the Republicans from Democrats should be clearly stated. For example, the Republicans want America to win the war on terror, particularly in Iraq and Afghanistan. Most Americans agree. The DEMOCRATS, because they are pandering to their base, don’t want America to win.

This is a position that is MINORITY/DIVERSITY neutral.

Another example: Republicans should clearly denunciate vote fraud and attempts to manipulate elections by phony voters. The Democrats are proven ballot-box stuffers. ACORN stands accused of illegally registering phony voters (and convicted in some jurisdictions). Republicans should high light this and explain that this DILUTES minority votes, and is destructive to minority rights.

The Republicans have a message that I mostly agree with. They need to articulate it.

But they also need to EXPOSE the hypocrisy and lies of the Democrats, which are legion and vicious. And they need to respond quickly and strongly to every lie they tell. But, they also need to show minorities that voting Democrat means that they are choosing to remain on Massa Democrat’s plantation or in the Mr. Democrat’s lettuce fields doing stoop labor.

Tell America where you stand, RNC.

Expose the Democrat’s lies and respond with counter-ads immediately after the smear you or your candidates.

Show minorities you care about ALL Americans, not by pandering to the likes of Travis Smiley (a partisan Democrat with a TV show), but by stating HOW your agenda will benifit them.

Another example: The tax cuts early in Bush’s presidency ended the Clinton Recession and is responsible for 5 years of growth. The Democrats lie and say “tax cuts for the rich.” The Republicans need to show how minorities benefited from MORE JOBS created from the tax cuts. They need to explain WHY the deficit has been cut in half, and WHY THIS IS GOOD FOR EVERYBODY, ESPECIALLY MINORITIES.

AprilOrit is an example of the tactics they have used and will use in 2008. She can’t be reached by reason; so you’re wasting your time “debating her.” But she did perform an important service, if the Republicans will respond by concentrating their message of why they are better for America.

georgej on September 29, 2007 at 5:43 PM

georgej on September 29, 2007 at 5:11 PM

(Eek! A comment on topic! Almost forgot what the subject was… :-)

Agree WRT Rush – he courts controversy deliberately, gets much of his listenership from folks who are already somewhat polarized on the issues, and he’ll be able to fight this one off just fine.

The bigger concern is O’Reilly; he’s the one in a tough(er) spot here since (I happen to believe, no real evidence to present here) he’s actually trying to attract a more mainstream audience, including folks who still have some trust left in MSM sources. For those people, the racism charge will linger until O’Reilly can escalate the confrontation and get so-called trusted sources to vouch for him.

(Which makes Sharpton’s overtly non-committal, “I’ll have to listen to the show before I can vouch for you” on-air performance from earlier this week all the more disgusting IMHO. Looked & sounded to me like he’s trying to blackmail O’Reilly, dangling the promise of exoneration over his head…)

RD on September 29, 2007 at 5:50 PM

One problem, I am not a Democrat…LOL.

Showing up to debate is not pandering, Tavis Smiley’s politics has nothing to do with it, Newt Gringich and others agreed.

We as Americans need to EXPOSE the hypocrisy and lies of the Democrats and the Republicans idealogues who choose not to bring this country together, who are legion and vicious.

Partisan hacks = bomb throwers & power hungry political operatives which really are = to the facists and fanatics we are fighting over there who believe they are doing God’s work.

There are clearly well documented problems on both sides of the isle, if you think the Dems are the only ones you are an idealogue and need to be rescued out of the Far Right Fringe Fountain of Goof.

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 6:16 PM

And I suppose I should not post at such partisan sites, I’ve learned my lesson…

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 5:00 PM

You really should get your blithering shut-off valve repaired… even Beavis n’Butthead can do better than you.

Mcguyver on September 29, 2007 at 6:24 PM

Mcguyver on September 29, 2007 at 6:24 PM

You really should get your blithering attitude adjusted so the GOP doesn’t loose the big one, please.

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 6:33 PM

It has been my experience that people who are ” in the middle of the road”, usually get run over by a Mac truck.

calgrammy on September 29, 2007 at 6:37 PM

George Washington’s Rules of Civility #3 Be considerate of others. Do not embarrass others.

Rule #110 Don’t allow yourself to become jaded, cynical or calloused.

Just a reminder.

Zorro on September 29, 2007 at 6:43 PM

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 6:33 PM

You are a completely worthless, blithering, blabbermouth, foolish, bigoted tramp, with no understanding of conservative values.
Go back to building mud huts.

Ronald Reagan conservatism won precisely because he never strayed from his values.

Mcguyver on September 29, 2007 at 6:44 PM

calgrammy on September 29, 2007 at 6:37 PM

Umm, it’s spelled Mack Truck, not Mac like the computer.

And I’d rather be roadkill than a demagogue.

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 6:44 PM

And I’d rather be roadkill than a demagogue.

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 6:44 PM

Yup… dinner’s ready.

Mcguyver on September 29, 2007 at 6:48 PM

Go back to building mud huts.

You are actually calling me an assortment of adjectives including a tramp on Hotair?!!! N-I-C-E, LOL.

Ronald Reagan was obviously nothing like your ilk at all.

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 6:50 PM

Bar-b-que tonight. My spelling is fine, it’s my eyes that are bad, so make fun of my handicap.

calgrammy on September 29, 2007 at 6:51 PM

Ronald Reagan was obviously nothing like your ilk at all.
AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 6:50 PM

You have no clue…go pound sand and mix mud.

Mcguyver on September 29, 2007 at 6:52 PM

Ah yes. I was wondering when the cries of victimhood would show up.

And I suppose I should not post at such partisan sites, I’ve learned my lesson.

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 4:59 PM

Somehow I doubt that.

You don’t listen to it at all, but for some reason you’re qualified to dismiss it out of hand. Ok. Still par for the course.

“Who’s worthy of the attention and respect of the great and powerful AprilOrit?”

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 5:00 PM

No argument from me on that account. I should probably take urbancenturion’s advice.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, April.

techno_barbarian on September 29, 2007 at 6:53 PM

Go back to building mud huts.

D-O-U-B-L-E N-I-C-E, whatever that means.

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 6:54 PM

Enjoy the rest of your weekend Bar-b-que, April.

Mcguyver on September 29, 2007 at 6:55 PM

Have a beautiful Fall weekend all yu HotAir posters. Somehow a thread about phony soilders got hijacked.

calgrammy on September 29, 2007 at 6:55 PM

OOPS should be you not yu, don’t want the teacher to take points off for spelling.

calgrammy on September 29, 2007 at 6:56 PM

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, April.

The same to you – my fellow American. :)

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 6:57 PM

Somehow a thread about phony soilders got hijacked.
calgrammy on September 29, 2007 at 6:55 PM

Yup. Absurdity just got demonstrated by the absurd AprilOrit.

Mcguyver on September 29, 2007 at 6:58 PM

Enjoy the rest of your weekend Bar-b-que, April

I don’t eat pork, I’m Jewish, but thanks all the same. The same to you as well.

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 6:58 PM

the same to you as well.
AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 6:58 PM

Let me know if you run out of road-killed goats, there’s more where that came from.

Mcguyver on September 29, 2007 at 7:00 PM

Since when has partisanship been a bad thing? There’s nothing wrong with being a partisan as long as it’s partisanship in pursuit of the truth. Does the name-calling on the the right get a little over-the-top at times — yes. But that doesn’t mean there isn’t a lot of truth in the overall message.

What people like April don’t seem to understand is that playing nice with the far-left isn’t going to get you anywhere — just ask George W. Bush.

2Brave2Bscared on September 29, 2007 at 7:07 PM

Exactly what I mean – the instant name calling.

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 4:23 PM

Let’s review, shall we?

AprilOrit began commenting at 12:35, where she gave her “opinion” that Rush and O’Reilly are Country Club racists. She then proceeded to babble that anyone who listens to either of them are un-American Nazis who want One Party rule, smear their opponents, and deserve to be deported.

Hypocrisy, thy name is AprilOrit.

Buy Danish on September 29, 2007 at 7:39 PM

calgrammy on September 29, 2007 at 6:37 PM

Umm, it’s spelled Mack Truck, not Mac like the computer. And I’d rather be roadkill than a demagogue.

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 6:44 PM

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 6:16 PM

Umm, spelling bee champ? The rest of us want to know: Which isle do you have in mind? The Isle of Wight? (Or Wong?)

RD on September 29, 2007 at 7:42 PM

AprilOrit:

I always hear that argument that “diversity is a good thing,” but no one ever goes the next step and explains why.

So, I’m asking you: 1) What do you mean when you say “diversity”? and 2) Why is it a good for the Republican Party (or a work place, or a university, etc.)? And I guess I have to ask the 3rd question: Is there such a thing as “bad” diversity?

Rational Thought on September 29, 2007 at 8:22 PM

a word or two about george soros: here

pk on September 29, 2007 at 8:45 PM

Bryan:

Please move all the off topic entries to a new open thread:

April Orit, philosopher

slp on September 29, 2007 at 9:13 PM

Ahhh…wasn’t necessarily correcting spelling, was correcting the name of the brand, thought that was obvious, sorry you missed it.

AprilOrit:

Rational Thought on September 29, 2007 at 8:22 PM

What I meant was that the GOP should try to reach out to all people, not just those who they think or assume are already in the tank – the folks who fall into the usual Republican voting public/audience. I think part of the problem is that the GOP candidates just assume that the minority folks will vote Democrat, so they don’t try hard enough to reach them with the issues that count. Along the lines of what Newt was saying all week. I also agree with something Bill O’Reilly said a few weeks back on The Factor. Is was around the time of that dust up with Geraldo; he mentioned to Michelle on air one night that he believed that Republicans tended not to like minorities period. I think there may be some truth in that, unfortunately.

It’s all fear based and I believe it has allot to do with where you hail from and your personal situation as to whether you think it is good or bad. Bill O’Reilly was trying to get that point across on the radio to much of his audience who he said never get the oppurtunity to interact with black people. He was trying to assure them that black people are the same as people in general, they are not all cursing and spewing filthy rap lyrics etc.

I don’t know if diversity is good or bad, that I cannot answer. Again, it depends on your personal situation. How you were raised, the morals and values your parents have instilled in you, and how are feel about those who are different than you. I have only really known diversity as a positive thing I guess, although I have never really questioned whether it is good or bad. But I was born and raised in a melting pot – Manhattan, NYC so it’s pretty much a given here. And my parents were pro-diversity in pretty much everything we did.

Both of my parents grew up devoid of any diversity, in white upper class jewish suburbia, my Mother’s description, not mine, never interacted with minorities until college. They really didn’t interact with any non-jews and the only black people either of my parents interacted with in childhood were paid help.

They chose to raise us here for it’s obvious diversity. My parents are registered Republicans but more along the lines of old world GOP – Goldwater etc and both agree with me about reaching out to all voters. I guess they seem more like Libertarians these days with what the Republican Party has become. They believe in small government, they are very much opposed to legislating social issues, they think that is anti-Republican. They believe the tent can be and should be big and diverse, but are very opposed to catering to special interest types/groups. They feel that is a detriment to the party as a whole, i.e., the Schiavo case, they felt the party had lost it’s way on that one. I guess the idealogues who have usurped the party would call them RINOs, LOL. Hope I answered your question.

**Hey McGuyver my main man, you are there bro? How about some negative feedback so I can sleep soundly…lay it on me Mister Man.

**DorianGray, something nasty and negative from you would work just as well….tee hee.

AprilOrit on September 30, 2007 at 2:06 AM

Celebrating diversity is regarded by liberals as helpful, by conservatives as hurtful, and by power seekers as useful.
- Seneca the Elder

MB4 on September 30, 2007 at 4:46 AM

RD on September 29, 2007 at 7:42 PM

I thought perhaps our resident genius and diversity expert was referring to the “Isles of Langerhans“.

both (of my parents) agree with me about reaching out to all voters

AprilOrit,

Nice job of reaching out Ms. Orit! There’s nothing like calling people goosestepping racists to bring them around to your side of the aisle.

Buy Danish on September 30, 2007 at 8:19 AM

RD on September 29, 2007 at 7:42 PM

Buy Danish on September 30, 2007 at 8:19 AM

:-D Hilarious – that would almost make it “both sides of the bile“! I’m in sugar shock already…

RD on September 30, 2007 at 10:40 AM

AprilOrit on September 30, 2007 at 2:06 AM

Ms. Orit, what about the brand name were you correcting, other than the spelling? Certainly not the pronunciation, since “Mac” and “Mack” are identical; nor the meaning, since our commenter knew darn well what he meant.

Which means you were correcting spelling.

If you see such a difference between what you did and what I did, then why did you let two comments of his hang out there with nary a word about them?

calgrammy on September 29, 2007 at 6:51 PM

Why did it take my retort to force the “clarification”? That leaves only two options: either you’re intentionally cruel, or you’re full of sh-t. Which is it?

P.S. In the comment that started this:

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 6:16 PM

Did you mean idealogue, or ideologue? Precision is the Hallmark of good writng, I always say.

RD on September 30, 2007 at 10:49 AM

Precision is the Hallmark of good writng…

…And other brand names as well…

RD on September 30, 2007 at 10:59 AM

AprilOrit said:

So I’ll assume that by “diversity,” you mean racial diversity. The fact is that the Republican Party welcomes Republicans of all races. True, they don’t pander to them, offer a chicken in every pot (or a US savings bond in every bassinet), but anyone who’s on board with a conservative ideology is welcome, and the Conservative ideology does not embrace racial, gender, ethnic, etc., identity politics.

I think, AprilOrit, that you’re suggesting that Conservatives should abandon some of their ideological tenets in order to appeal to a wider audience. That is called pandering for votes. Like it or not, party politics is about a shared ideology, and I have never met a Republican who cared what color his fellow Republicans were, so long as they were…you know, Republicans. Identity politics beyond one’s identity as a Republican is something the other team engages in.

Moreover, when folks in the Republican Party depart from the strict ideological line — such as the millions who are pro-abortion — they are rarely maligned, abused, and “thrown out” in the way Democrats are. (Quick, name 3 pro-life Democrats who have risen to national prominence?) In recent days you’ve seen an African American “scholar” on TV calling Juan Williams a “happy Negro” because defended Bill O’Reilly. Juan has not held 100% to the Democrat ideology of racial victimization, so he must be destroyed, even if the Democrats have to use racist language to destroy him.

In addition, virtually every effort for “speech codes,” the “fairness doctrine,” and every other recent censorship movement has come from the left. They do not want anyone to depart from their ideological agenda. And if they do depart, the left doesn’t want to engage those people in debate, it wants to destroy them. Silence them. You simply do not see this behavior coming from Conservatives. Conservative talk shows feature liberals. Liberal talk shows almost never feature Conservatives.

So who needs to have a bigger tent?

Rational Thought on September 30, 2007 at 11:04 AM

calgrammy on September 29, 2007 at 6:51 PM

Didn’t read all of them, don’t remember correcting anyone on bar-b-que, just said that I do not eat pork, or bar-b-que in general, don’t like the sauce at all. I prefer a bloody rare hanger steak any time of the day or week.

Pandering, hmmm, let’s see – the GOP has pandered to special interest groups for votes over the last 20 odd years, i.e., the Religious Right, giving into Fringe WingNut thuggery over appealling to the general American public.

The GOP never had such extreme ideological tenets, it was the party of small government, fiscal responsibility, advocates of the republic, nationalism, pro-business.

So who needs to have a bigger tent?

What the Democrats do isn’t really an issue with me, I am not a registered Democrat, therefore I could care less about whether they do this or that, what about the GOP, that’s the bigger concern. As for the Fairness Doctrine, it will never happen. It’s another “monster under the bed”, although again I am not fan of Idealogical Fringe Thuggery on either side. Therefore I do not listen, I never meant that he or any of them should be silenced, I just wish more people would not give in to the “wedge effect” that listening to Talk Radio creates.

Rush Limbaugh=Sean Penn=Glenn Beck=Rosie=Michael Savage=Rhandi Roads, and so on.

My reference to goose step was an answer to an insult because I dared to diss Rush Limbaugh on a Right leaning blog. He doesn’t speak for me, I don’t have to sit dreamy eyed gazing at my radio in awe to come to that conclusion. It is a fact that he says things to stir the pot, like the soldier comment, obviously his contract and broader appeal depends on his ability to be more provocative than the next talker. And the soldiers don’t agree with the war and he does so he slanders them – the lion has torn the victims to shreds and there is red meat everywhere – and the crowd roars and cheers. Probably why Bill O’Reilly cannot compete, he doesn’t work quite so hard at “the wedge”, and probably why Michael Savage is so very popular.

I guess if you are interested in getting even with all the libs who have made you feel less than your whole life Rush fills a particular role – void.

I lived around people with liberal views my whole life, don’t need to use Rush Limbaugh as my personal life coach.

AprilOrit on September 30, 2007 at 12:53 PM

Where is Nurse Hatchet when you need her?

calgrammy on September 30, 2007 at 2:24 PM

“Every dollar that’s lost to a faker is one more dollar that can’t be spent on a veteran,” said O’Neill, whose office is responsible for rooting out those who defraud VA.”

Change that around a little bit in regards to our illegal aliens and our hospitals (schools, jails, etc.) and I’d say there was another responsible civil servant:

“Every dollar that’s lost to an illegal alien is one more dollar that can’t be spent on an American” … whose office is responsible for rooting out those who defraud the American medical system (who’s got kids in schools taxpayers are paying for, or are incarcerated in an American jail) by using emergency rooms for the sniffles.”

BowHuntingTexas on September 30, 2007 at 7:02 PM

The distorted view of reality:

AprilOrit on September 30, 2007 at 12:53 PM

The truth:

Buy Danish on September 29, 2007 at 1:25 PM

Oh Buy Danish, you’re so funny…not.

AprilOrit on September 29, 2007 at 1:46 PM

Ms. Orit,

Puhlease. It wasn’t an insult, it was a joke, and it followed an observation by Doriengrey that you are a RINO.

My comment had nothing do do with your “dissing Rush Limbaugh”, it had to do with the fact that all your trite and dunce-like remarks made you sound like a phony Republican…on a thread about phony soldiers and phony Republicans.

Buy Danish on September 30, 2007 at 7:57 PM

Bryan –

Second Request

Please prepare a separate April Orit thread and move the entire April Orit thread there, so that we can discuss Jesse MacBeth and the other phony soldiers.

slp on September 30, 2007 at 8:45 PM

Buy Danish on September 30, 2007 at 7:57 PM

move the entire phoney April Orit thread there, so that we can discuss Jesse MacBeth and the other phony soldiers.
slp on September 30, 2007 at 8:45 PM

Huummmmmm……

Title of Blog:

Behold the phony soldiers epidemic
posted at 11:05 am on September 29, 2007 by Bryan

Question:
Where do phoney soldiers and phoney Republicans come from?

Answer: From phoney people……

But, yeah, I agree, we should try harder to keep this thread on topic.

Mcguyver on September 30, 2007 at 10:11 PM