Runaround Hsu update: Bob Kerrey has a Hsu problem, too

posted at 11:00 am on September 28, 2007 by Bryan

Former Democrat Senator Bob Kerrey is contemplating running for the Nebraska Senate seat being vacated by the retiring Chuck Hagel (RINO). But there’s a dirty Hsu in his closet.

“Bob Kerrey was not only a receiver of contributions [to the New School], he actively recruited [Hsu] to the New School,” said National Republican Senatorial Committee spokeswoman Rebecca Fisher. “Nebraskans need to be aware of that.”

Kerrey’s recruitment of Hsu came several years ago when Hsu was known as a prominent Democratic donor in New York fundraising circles.

In addition to serving on the school’s Board of Trustees, he donated money intended for a school scholarship.

Since Hsu’s arrest, Democratic politicians have distanced themselves from Hsu, and most have returned donations received from him. Clinton’s presidential campaign returned $850,000 in Hsu-connected campaign donations.

The Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee returned $43,700 in donations directly from Hsu.

But Kerrey’s ties to Hsu could prove to be a unique distraction. Unlike other Democrats who simply accepted Hsu’s money, Kerrey had a personal relationship with him.

Kerrey also was one of the last public figures to openly praise Hsu before his recent downfall.

Oops. That personal relationship with the now confessed Ponzi scheme operator and straw Democrat donor would become a major part of the campaign.

Comments

I had been under the impression that Hsu was a fairly recent big money donor, like in the last few years kind of recent. Am I wrong about that? Did I make it up in my own mind?

samuelrylander on September 28, 2007 at 11:11 AM

Last I saw, they were “in the process” of returning the money; I doubt they’re willingly handing it over and we need to keep any eye on these shifty operators.

JammieWearingFool on September 28, 2007 at 11:27 AM

Thanks for finding and posting this Bryan. You just helped me narrow down my selection of people who I might consider voting for the Nebraska Senate next year. I imagine information like this might keep him from even running for Senate but then again I’ve learned long ago never to underestimate the ambition of politicians in general.

Yakko77 on September 28, 2007 at 11:40 AM

Off topic, but – where’s Allah? Did I miss notification he was going on vacation or something?

The Apologist on September 28, 2007 at 11:56 AM

Just what I was thinking, JWF. That statement wasn’t fact last time someone looked ito it…”the check is in the mail” really isn’t same!

MamaAJ on September 28, 2007 at 11:57 AM

[samuelrylander on September 28, 2007 at 11:11 AM]

Few and several are only separated by one; few usually three to four and several being four to five. Hsu’s been around since about 2003. If you’re asking strictly how long he has been ‘big donor’ in the sense that he has been a HillRaiser, I’m not sure, but probably not that long after he started.

Dusty on September 28, 2007 at 12:36 PM

It’s not entirely true that Bob Kerrey “recruited” Hsu. Hsu was introduced to Kerrey, and there are a few theories as to who that was. Bernard Schwartz, Fred Hochman (Sp?) of Lillian Vernon?

Who arranged this introduction may be the most important question that needs answering before Bob Kerrey can run. I suspect he will not answer it (unless he is subpoenaed) since the penalties imposed by the Soros/Clinton machine for answering the question might be devastating.

Buy Danish on September 28, 2007 at 12:39 PM

[JammieWearingFool on September 28, 2007 at 11:27 AM]

Yeah, that caught my eye, too. My first thought was, well, we’ll see at the next FEC filing, but then I remembered we’re talking about Hillary, so they have it covered, I’m sure.

But some enterprising reporter could easily call a bunch of donors and ask the donors if the check has come. That would be too easy for them, though.

Dusty on September 28, 2007 at 12:41 PM

The article mentions that this is headline material. Where? I certainly have seen too much about Mr. Hus. It seems like the MSM is just ignoring the story, as not to hurt Herr Hillary and the democrats in general. So let’s recap the MSM:

Sex & perversion: