Hillary Rodham $oros tied to dirty, defunct Dem group Updated

posted at 1:52 pm on September 27, 2007 by Bryan

This one’s not connected to Runaround Hsu, at least that we know of.

Officials of a defunct pro-Democratic group that was hit with a near-record campaign-finance fine last month hold strong ties to Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton’s presidential campaign, documents show.

At least four persons who worked for the America Coming Together (ACT) fundraising group, which the Federal Election Commission recently fined $775,000, work directly for the Clinton campaign or hold top positions with consulting firms hired by it.

In addition, the group’s former president, longtime Clinton aide Harold Ickes, has been identified as a volunteer adviser to the Clinton campaign. In FEC filings, the campaign listed a debt to Mr. Ickes of more than $2,000 for travel-related costs.

ACT was the big union group that George Soros donated $10 million to toward defeating President Bush in 2004. Hillary cannot plausibly claim to not know that ACT was both connected to Soros and that it was the third most heavily fined election law violator in US history. And she hired much of its top tier to help run her campaign.

ACT is disbanding, but that really doesn’t matter since much of its leadership is now ensconced in the Clinton campaign. And I’m sure Soros will come up with some new cleverly acronymed group through which he can pour money next time around.

Update:
Texas Rainmaker has a great post about Soros and NASA’s James Hansen.

Comments

Wait, wait, wait…you’re saying Hillary Clinton is connected to dirty money?

I question the timing.

MadisonConservative on September 27, 2007 at 1:53 PM

Still waiting for someone to look into that big Clinton bundler who has ties to Iran

William Amos on September 27, 2007 at 1:57 PM

Bryan, are you gonna comment on that NASA scientist bought and paid for by Soros? Think he was influenced by the money or what? Maybe you did and I missed it. Was kinda hoping to see some thoughts there too.

lorien1973 on September 27, 2007 at 1:57 PM

Isn’t ACT the group that committed deliberate voter fraud last time around?

CP on September 27, 2007 at 1:57 PM

ACT is disbanding

I’m pretty I got an email yesterday soliciting readers to start new chapters in their area. Of course I deleted it, wish I hadn’t now.

And please don’t ask me why I’m on their mailing list. Probably because I spammed one of their petitions or something. :=)

RushBaby on September 27, 2007 at 1:58 PM

Soros is a CLEAR AND PRESENT DANGER to our system of elections. He should be “de-naturalized” and immediately deported.

He is a convicted criminal, and a far-leftwing traitor.

See the Investors Business Daily series on him at http://ibdeditorials.com/series4.aspx

georgej on September 27, 2007 at 1:58 PM

Who knew it and when did they knolw it??

robo on September 27, 2007 at 1:59 PM

Move Over Vanishing Elites.

Mcguyver on September 27, 2007 at 1:59 PM

I smell the stench of Harold Ickes; hatchetman, apologist and slimy slug defender of the Clinton poltical machine.

Let me take a stab at how Hillary will respond to the accusation ……..

“I’m not going to answer that Tim Bryan”.

fogw on September 27, 2007 at 2:01 PM

Move
On
Republic to
Ownership of
Nation by
Soros

William Amos on September 27, 2007 at 2:03 PM

Move Over Vanishing Elites.

Mcguyver on September 27, 2007 at 1:59 PM

Move Over Voting Electorate

lorien1973 on September 27, 2007 at 2:03 PM

lorien1973 on September 27, 2007 at 1:57 PM

I actually haven’t commented on that directly, but yeah, the Soros money probably did influence him to some extent. But he’s been a climate alarmist as long as I’ve been alive. He was at the forefront of the global cooling scare back in the 70s. Now he’s touting global warming. It’s the same old alarmism in new clothes.

Bryan on September 27, 2007 at 2:06 PM

Hillary and illegal donations? Never, never happended…look into my eyes…it never happened…the conservatives do it…the conservatives are evil…listen to my voice…hear my cackle…you are a liberal, you know only what we tell you…nothing happened…everything is good that we do, for your own good…I am good…conservatives are evil, eeeevvvvillll…I will take care of you…I will take care of you…nothing happened, nothing happened…

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 2:07 PM

And still this lingers on as well. Peter Paul…The MSM has pretty much already decided that Hillary is the Democratic nominee, but the courts may have no choice but to prosecute her for felony campaign finance fraud. Oh well if Bill could make his rape charges disappear Hillary shouldn’t have too much trouble with a few dozen felony campaign finance fraud charges.

doriangrey on September 27, 2007 at 2:08 PM

I wonder how the 527 money will work if there is no incumbant president to run against.

There were hundreds of millions of dollars that went to 527 organizations in 2004.

gabriel sutherland on September 27, 2007 at 2:08 PM

Move Over Vanishing Elites.
Move Over Voting Electorate

Move Over Voluptuous Elite.

Mcguyver on September 27, 2007 at 2:11 PM

It would be interesting to see a diagram that shows the all the people/groups that Soros is funding and where they are.

pedestrian on September 27, 2007 at 2:14 PM

Mcguyver on September 27, 2007 at 2:11 PM

Making Obtuse Vermin Electable

lorien1973 on September 27, 2007 at 2:18 PM

pedestrian on September 27, 2007 at 2:14 PM

there is a site like this. cant remember its name now though.

lorien1973 on September 27, 2007 at 2:20 PM

RushBaby on September 27, 2007 at 2:32 PM

Are those crickets I hear over at the MSM? If this were some small town republican mayoral candidate (a GOP presidential candidate would have to pull out of the race for this), the MSM would be covering this like flies on $#!t, but because it’s one of the champions of thier cause – shhh.

Rick on September 27, 2007 at 2:35 PM

D=Dishonest!

Iblis on September 27, 2007 at 2:38 PM

America Coming Together (ACT)

Just the name sounds dirty.

Kini on September 27, 2007 at 2:41 PM

Socialists
Opposing
Reason
Opportunity; and
Sanity

Rick on September 27, 2007 at 2:43 PM

Can we still count the total number of run-of-the-mill independent legal Hillary campaign contributors with our fingers and toes or has it dropped below that now?

Dusty on September 27, 2007 at 2:45 PM

Dusty on September 27, 2007 at 2:45 PM

You mean the ones that haven’t been caught yet??

Rick on September 27, 2007 at 2:48 PM

doriangrey on September 27, 2007 at 2:08 PM

That is the first I have heard of this lawsuit.

It is unbelievable how this stuff gets swept under the table. Thanks for the link.

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 2:51 PM

This Clinton dirty money thing is like a lingering fart, it never goes away.

infidel4life on September 27, 2007 at 2:53 PM

BTW, ABCNews did a story, w/ an interview, on Bill Clinton’s push for “a new paradigm” I think Gibson called it, on charitable giving with him talking about how much NGO’s can do. All I could think was that Bill and Hill have worked out the details on another source for their grafty little hands to manage.

Dusty on September 27, 2007 at 2:53 PM

America Coming Together (ACT)

Interesting that Soros & Co. call come up with these names that contradict what they really stand for:

Bringing America Down (BAD)

Rick on September 27, 2007 at 2:54 PM

pedestrian on September 27, 2007 at 2:14 PM

Rushbaby gave us the homepage of the site. Here’s the page on Soros. Click on the “Visual Maps” button and be prepared to freak out.

angryoldfatman on September 27, 2007 at 2:59 PM

[Rick on September 27, 2007 at 2:48 PM]

LOL, no. By run-of-the-mill, in this case, I meant those who contributed out of some heart-felt desire other than that something in their life would not continue to “mature” unless they did so. You know, like assets, investments, relief from debts, career, reputation, one’s commercial enterprise …

Dusty on September 27, 2007 at 3:01 PM

Nothing to see here folks. Let’s move along now before someone gets hurt.

BacaDog on September 27, 2007 at 3:10 PM

Making Obtuse Vermin Electable

Too funny.

gotta go… be back later

Mcguyver on September 27, 2007 at 3:22 PM

I’m telling ya, the woman is covered in Teflon.

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 3:26 PM

Nothing to see here folks. Let’s move along now before someone gets hurt.

BacaDog on September 27, 2007 at 3:10 PM

You know you won’t be getting any Bill Clinton interviews by mentioning these things don’t you Bryan?

ANY money that goes to Hilary is deserved what with the things they are going to ‘give’ America through socialism. (/sarc)

ThackerAgency on September 27, 2007 at 3:37 PM

Soros, through his left wing subversive organizations, control most Democratic politicians and are in essence attempting to replace our current government with a new leftist regime. Be afraid . . . be very afraid.

rplat on September 27, 2007 at 3:41 PM

But he’s been a climate alarmist as long as I’ve been alive.

I guess I’ve viewed Hansen as a “useful t/fool” for the left. They (Heinz-Kerry to Soros) fund him because they know he’ll keep spouting Chicken Little scenarios that play to the liberal agenda.

So its not that they’ve “bought him”, he’s always had those views (as Bryan notes). They just make it possible for him to promote those views (as long as it helps their cause).

taznar on September 27, 2007 at 4:15 PM

RushBaby on September 27, 2007 at 1:58 PM

You probably got an email from Act For America, from Brigitte Gabriel. This is not the same organization as ACT.

JimK on September 27, 2007 at 4:18 PM

The settlement, announced Aug. 29, included a provision that the FEC found no evidence of any willful campaign violations by ACT, but regulators nonetheless said they had reason to think that the group broke campaign-finance laws by using prohibited contributions and misreporting expenses…

That really does require the willing suspension of disbelief.

Under the settlement, ACT admitted no wrongdoing and FEC papers say the group said it “acted in reliance on the advice of legal counsel and under the good-faith belief that ACT had complied with the requirements.”

I get it! All you have to do is hire a lawyer who tells you that everything is perfectly legal and you’re off the hook.

FEC officials said they settled the case, in part, to avoid the time and cost of litigation.

Dammit, this is one time where I’d be delighted if the government spent my tax dollars.

That Discover the Networks link made me dizzy, but this is an excellent bit of history from Byron York, written in August 2005. He talks about how ACT was founded, how McCain Feingold made it happen, and he names all the principal donors. Where he errs though is when he says that they failed in their goals and that’s why they shut down.

A new, improved Byron York story written last month is here.

Buy Danish on September 27, 2007 at 4:20 PM

Here is the DTN link directly to Soros. The one that made me dizzy was at the page that Bryan linked to.

Remind me to find a new insurance company so I can cancel with Progressive!

Buy Danish on September 27, 2007 at 4:27 PM

Breaking news. Another hollyweird pillar of society jumps on the hillary express.

MeatHead hearts Hillary

Remember his conflict of interest last year?

Brat on September 27, 2007 at 4:31 PM

The central focus of my life is to defeat George Soros.

If only I had some money.

**tin cup rattling**

I will ask this again: Does anybody know of a right-leaning, politically active billionaire? All the billionaires I can think of, go left of center, or in Soros’ case, far left. You’d think having money would make someone conservative, instead it seems to make them crazy with a messiah complex to save the world from capitalism. How’s that for irony.

This phenomenon of the liberal billionaire is becoming so pronounced, the word billionaire in my lexicon is almost an epitaph.

jihadwatcher on September 27, 2007 at 6:08 PM

Now we know why Shrillary is so adamant about the existance of “THE VAST RIGHT-WING CONSPIRACY.”

She obviously thinks that the other (dark)side operates with the same set of rules and (lack of)ethics that are the norm for the Clintons and their cronies.

MSM, where art thou? (wishful thinking, of course!)

hillbillyjim on September 27, 2007 at 6:57 PM

Hillary’s fundraisers aren’t deterred by fines when the net-proceeds-after-fine is still in the black, as the fine is seen merely as a cost of doing business.

petefrt on September 27, 2007 at 7:28 PM

Soros
Undermining our
Xistence

hillbillyjim on September 27, 2007 at 8:42 PM

I wonder what Venezuelan pals Soros has?

Connie on September 27, 2007 at 8:50 PM

RushBaby:”I’m pretty I got an email yesterday soliciting…”
You’re pretty? Good for you!
But more than that, your politics is in the Right place.
Have a good night.

Doug on September 27, 2007 at 9:27 PM

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 2:07 PM

I loved it. It was much better than Cats. I’m going to see it again and again.

ReubenJCogburn on September 27, 2007 at 10:33 PM

angryoldfatman on September 27, 2007 at 2:59 PM

Wow! That page and map sure do answer an awful lot of questions. I was suprised to see all the connections. That idiot soros is putting big money behind everything anti-US that’s out there. They’re all sucking at soros’ tit.

The Moonbat Daddy Warbucks.

techno_barbarian on September 27, 2007 at 11:57 PM

Read Orson Scott Card’s Empire.

Guess whom he modeled the villain after?

georgej on September 28, 2007 at 3:57 AM

There is no such thing as a double standard in lib circles. The end justifies the means. If bodies have to be buried and people go to jail it is all in the name of the cause. They will sacrifice as many as necessary: Vince Foster, Ron Brown, Webster Hubbell, Norman Hsu, the list grows larger each day.

Terri on September 28, 2007 at 10:23 AM

This These Clinton(s) dirty money thing is like are a lingering fart, it(they) never goes away.

infidel4life on September 27, 2007 at 2:53 PM