Video: Jackie and Dunlap on Ahmadinejad and Bollinger

posted at 11:01 am on September 26, 2007 by Allahpundit

They irritate me more often than not, but this one’s fairly well down the middle and genuinely funny in the section on Bollinger. You’ll be glad to know, incidentally, that since his takedown of Ahmadinejad on Monday, some of Columbia’s finest have had a change of heart about speaking truth to power and now consider it rude to utter inconvenient facts in the presence of an invited guest. Compare and contrast the masturbatory glee over Colbert’s performance before Bush last year with the reaction to this mild rebuke to an enemy of the United States — which was telegraphed beforehand by Bollinger, let’s remember, so that Ahmadinejad knew exactly what he was getting into. Quote:

“It’s odd to invite someone and then deal with the objections to inviting him by insulting him before he gets to talk,” a professor of political science at Columbia, Richard Betts, said during an interview in his office yesterday. “He’s having it both ways in a sense, honoring the principle of free speech by not choosing speakers on the basis of how nice they are, but being sharp to him before he speaks.”…

“We all know who Ahmadinejad is and what his capabilities are. But where was the courtesy? If Mr. Bollinger knew a bit about the Iranian culture and custom of hospitality, he would have acted differently,” a professor of Middle East politics, Mehdi Noorbaksh, wrote on Gulf 2000.

According to the Wall Street Journal, Iranian-backed forces are responsible for 70% of U.S. casualties in Iraq.

Comments

They irritate me more often than not

They just irritate me. I could only take about 15 seconds.

Bad Candy on September 26, 2007 at 11:08 AM

But where was the courtesy?

But where was the courtesy?

WTF???? I swear we are living in Bizarro World!!

lan astaslem on September 26, 2007 at 11:12 AM

Those beers are unopened.

I would rather see the US Air Force take that sawed off weasel to task than the Liberal pinhead that invited him to speak at Columbia.

Hening on September 26, 2007 at 11:12 AM

Hell, I’m from Texas and they irritate me. Amos and Andy move-on…er move-over.

Limerick on September 26, 2007 at 11:14 AM

Not bad.

nailinmyeye on September 26, 2007 at 11:15 AM

I would party with those guys!

RushBaby on September 26, 2007 at 11:17 AM

What? No Chris Crocker-esqe video yet?

I thought these guys were fine. The Rather line made me laugh.

TexasDan on September 26, 2007 at 11:32 AM

The whole skit was an insult to all Republicans and conservatives. The first hint is the cartoon picture of Fred.

oldelpasoan on September 26, 2007 at 11:48 AM

The only video from these guys I ever liked was their music video Civil War, Part 2.

Bigfoot on September 26, 2007 at 11:50 AM

I live in Texas too, and 2 DEAD RINGERS for these guys showed up in our driveway to bid on re-roofing our house.
They acted smarter than these 2 but both had liquor on their breath, and I just wanted a new roof. (don’t need a new lawsuit)
I did ask them a trick question, just to test their mettle. I asked, “Where’s your tin snips?” (Hill Country Texas – Metal roof a big plus) and the one that looks like Dunlop said, “Don’t need no tin snips. Deese here gots pop-tops,” and handed me a beer.
Even Republican drunks are smarter than YouTube lib-tards!

Keith_Z on September 26, 2007 at 12:04 PM

They irritate me more often than not…

I kinda like ‘em. But maybe in the places I’ve lived I’d be much more likely to meet folks like Jackie and Dunlap than some other folks, who would have been more likely to meet…oh…Pauline Kael’s voter demographic.

eeyore on September 26, 2007 at 12:07 PM

Guy on the left = funny.

Guy on the right = not so much.

nosliwelyk on September 26, 2007 at 12:09 PM

hahaha ‘. . . or vice versa’

ThackerAgency on September 26, 2007 at 12:18 PM

I like ‘em. What’s in the blue box?

Jaibones on September 26, 2007 at 12:26 PM

Richard Bulliet, said that if Mr. Bollinger led a mission of faculty and students to Iran, which he has expressed interest in doing, he would likely receive a more courteous welcome than was provided to Mr. Ahmadinejad.

Let’s say Bollinger denies there ever was a war between Iran and Iraq and plants some IEDs. Would he receive a courteous welcome then?

pedestrian on September 26, 2007 at 12:31 PM

That line about Dan Rather – or vice versa. Haha.

Spirit of 1776 on September 26, 2007 at 12:39 PM

eeyore on September 26, 2007 at 12:07 PM

Same here. I live in an area derisively called Taylor-Tucky. One young education major told me “people there even park there cars on their lawns”.

No sense telling her I park my car on the grass too. The great part, I can drive my car all over my yard and the neighbors won’t complain unless I scare the dogs or keep them up nights

The Red State guys look like and often but not always talk like the best people in the world, the people I would rather have with me in the trenches then Bollingers, middle east professors, Tides Foundation scholars, Beltway Newsmen, and other assorted hissy-fighters. My neighbors fight with real guns if the need arises.

I told my neighbor (a great and wise old guy) I use a farther car wash since a guy shot the man in front of him at the local wash for moving too slow. Neighbor remarked calmly “Maybe you ought to use the othern, it ought to move fast now they shot the guy!” God I love these people.

I spent a whole night watching Red State once to try a figure where these guys were coming from. Conclusion, they don’t wear plaid in real life but understand a lot of the nuance. They also have an inner liberal who nudges the conversations to mild criticism of conservative positions

I went to You Tube just now to see their current stuff. When I clicked on the youthtube debate showing a picture of Hillary, something blew out my new expensive headphones.

entagor on September 26, 2007 at 12:51 PM

Jackie and Dunlap possess towering intellects — compared to most university presidents/administrators.

CyberCipher on September 26, 2007 at 1:16 PM

haha
yeah these guys aint to bad, kinda funny at times.
they pull off a good hick but i bet they aint ever picked no baccy or run no allis chalmers for real ;) .

trailortrash on September 26, 2007 at 1:29 PM

hey we showed dinnerjacket considerable courtesy.

he got out of town with a whole skin and no blood didn’t he?

C

pk on September 26, 2007 at 1:35 PM

I laughed out loud a couple of times. This is the first time I have watched any of their stuff since the debate question. They would get old really fast if you had to watch them all the time. Overall moderately funny.

dawgsleadtheway on September 26, 2007 at 1:54 PM

I went to the same college as these two–at the same time, actually. Not sure what to make of them.

robblefarian on September 26, 2007 at 2:04 PM

They drink, they smoke, they know current events and where New York City is, so what could be irritating?

New Yorkers and their prejudice’s, go figure!

Kini on September 26, 2007 at 2:19 PM

Guilty. I kinda liked it.

I’m southern, what can I say? (Tho I’m a suburbs gal, born and raised. Don’t run into these types often.)

tickleddragon on September 26, 2007 at 2:23 PM

hahaha ‘. . . or vice versa’

ThackerAgency on September 26, 2007 at 12:18 PM

took the words right off my fingertips…

jjjen on September 26, 2007 at 3:20 PM

I laughed too. Reminds me of a sprinkler guy I once used for repairs. Every time I needed him he was off “huntin” – nevermind, it wasn’t hunting season.

24K lady on September 26, 2007 at 3:56 PM

Those two are America’s version of Bob and Doug McKenzie

jihadwatcher on September 26, 2007 at 7:16 PM

Or vice versa.

Haha.

I always mix up Dean Wormer with Mr Vernon. Why is that?

Tanya on September 26, 2007 at 7:38 PM