Katie Couric: Uncomfortable using “we” when referring to the US, not into “jubilant” patriotism

posted at 5:49 pm on September 26, 2007 by Bryan

But don’t question her patriotism or anything, ok?

The former “Today” show anchor traced her discomfort with the administration’s march to war back to the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks.

“The whole culture of wearing flags on our lapel and saying ‘we’ when referring to the United States and, even the ‘shock and awe’ of the initial stages, it was just too jubilant and just a little uncomfortable. And I remember feeling, when I was anchoring the ‘Today’ show, this inevitable march towards war and kind of feeling like, ‘Will anybody put the brakes on this?’ And is this really being properly challenged by the right people? And I think, at the time, anyone who questioned the administration was considered unpatriotic and it was a very difficult position to be in.”

Yeah, those lapel pins are a real burden, aren’t they.

On Ahmadinejad:

Couric referenced comments made by Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Monday’s “The Charlie Rose Show,” and said she actually agreed with Ahmadinejad on one point. “Oftentimes Westerners don’t really understand fully the values of this particular culture,” said Couric.

So much for the weight of the modern civilized world expressing revulsion at Mad Mahmoud. Leading lights like Couric (whose newscast still only gets around 5 million viewers) are too busy expressing revulsion at their own president and country.

At least she gets Rather right.

Couric took Rather to task for his reporting. “There were things in there that were quite egregious in terms of how it was reported,” she said. “And sloppy work is sloppy work…They did not dot their I’s and cross their T’s when it came to that story…And our job is to get right.”

In other words, they shouldn’t have used Microsoft Word’s default font.

Comments

What a jerk … that’s about all I have for Katie.

darwin on September 26, 2007 at 5:53 PM

She’d also look better in a burqa … ungrateful person that she is.

darwin on September 26, 2007 at 5:54 PM

I don’t question the patriotism of people like Katie.

I do; however, question whether Katie has the same definition of patriotism that I do.

JadeNYU on September 26, 2007 at 5:54 PM

When I forge documents, I can never go wrong with a nice subtle Helvetica Condensed font.

Hoodlumman on September 26, 2007 at 5:55 PM

I’ve often thought when Katie had that colonoscopy performed on her now famous broadcast, it may well have damaged her ability to think clearly, as the scope was dangerously close to where her brains are.

It would appear I was right.

Shame.

commonsensehoosier on September 26, 2007 at 5:56 PM

It’s OK…I get uncomfortable when she uses “we” when referring to the US also.

I would never questino her patriotism, as I have no idea if she has any to question, or to which patria it would belong, if any exists.

She’s not an American – the very concept is beyond her feebleminded grasp – her carcass just happens to reside here.

Ochlan on September 26, 2007 at 5:57 PM

Dude – that frontpage photoshop is just disturbing. I liked the vomit video better.

nailinmyeye on September 26, 2007 at 6:03 PM

The sad part is that this is all about ratings. If she comes out like this against the war she will wins some left winger viewers. Atleast that is their f’d up hope.

tomas on September 26, 2007 at 6:03 PM

I take it Shuster hasn’t been watching Katie either.

GT on September 26, 2007 at 6:05 PM

But, only when it serves our purpose/agenda…

rbb on September 26, 2007 at 6:05 PM

A MSM anchor person who isn’t comfortable with being patriotic nor doesn’t think highly of the US

I’m sooooooo surprised (sarcasm)

Defector01 on September 26, 2007 at 6:06 PM

CBS just can’t seem to get it right. They think Couric can be honest about her contempt for our country and everyone will say she’s honest and start watching her. WRONG…everyone knew who she was without being told and that is why they weren’t watching. Being honest is completely out of character for her and CBS.

volsense on September 26, 2007 at 6:06 PM

that frontpage photoshop is just disturbing.
What photoshop?

ChrisM on September 26, 2007 at 6:07 PM

Nice to see she gives Mahmoud the benefit of the doubt but has nothing but disdain for so many of her own countrymen. Mahmoud needs to be understood, we need to be held in contempt. Did that colonoscopy find any signs of brain activity?

trubble on September 26, 2007 at 6:08 PM

In other words, they shouldn’t have used Microsoft Word’s default font.

Pretty much.

I wonder what correctly formatted “documents” will be released when Guiliani takes on Clinton?

Christoph on September 26, 2007 at 6:08 PM

whose newscast still only gets around 5 million viewers

So she gets what, about a buck and a half per viewer? Can we get Michelle that deal for when she hosts “The Factor”?

radjah shelduck on September 26, 2007 at 6:11 PM

I wonder what the endgame spin will be on her eventual departure from the evening news? CBS needs to keep her on long enough to dodge the obvious conclusions, her ratings stink and people would rather get their news from an older white male, lest they incur the wrath of NOW, but not long enough to hurt profitability.

Theworldisnotenough on September 26, 2007 at 6:11 PM

In other words, they shouldn’t have used Microsoft Word’s default font.

Come on, dude. Rove was in a hurry!

Spirit of 1776 on September 26, 2007 at 6:13 PM

Their job hasn’t been “to get [it] right” for several decades. I can’t remember a time when I didn’t think the “reporting” was slanted and biased. As evidence, compare these two stories: Abramoff – Hsu.

jaime on September 26, 2007 at 6:13 PM

The quest for relevancy when relevancy was never there.
Except when she showed us her colon.

That’s Offensive! A lot of Americans have, like myself, lived overseas among other cultures, in particular Islamic, and have enjoyed the experience.

It’s also the very reason why I returned to this country citing “there’s no place like home”.

I’d rather live in a world with Jackie and Dunlap than Ahmadinejad’s world.

Kini on September 26, 2007 at 6:14 PM

Theworldisnotenough on September 26, 2007 at 6:11 PM

The endgame will come after CBS dumps here and she becomes a co-hostess on “The View”.

Rememember, you heard it here, first.

JayHaw Phrenzie on September 26, 2007 at 6:14 PM

So, she’s as uncomfortable being an American as I am with her being an American?

I think we’ve made some real progress at understanding each other here…

gekkobear on September 26, 2007 at 6:15 PM

“So, in short, I supported America before I didn’t, and only because they did someting that I supported at the time, but then realized is unpopular, but was very popular at the time. In much shorter, I’m a spineless waffle.”

–Katie Couric

/in the words of Charlie Brown, “Bleah!”

Spc Steve on September 26, 2007 at 6:18 PM

That’s ok.

I’m not comfortable watching her as the CBS news anchor. Apparrently, I’ve got plenty of company in that respect.

thirteen28 on September 26, 2007 at 6:19 PM

JayHaw Phrenzie on September 26, 2007 at 6:14 PM

The View is not big enough for Barbara and Katie.

Theworldisnotenough on September 26, 2007 at 6:20 PM

is this really being properly challenged by the right people?

So if the President, Secretary of State, and Congress are not the right people, who are?

CookeyD on September 26, 2007 at 6:22 PM

JayHaw Phrenzie is right, she’ll wind up on The View where they can finish up her colonoscopy/labotomy.

commonsensehoosier on September 26, 2007 at 6:23 PM

Yup, someone whould be watching eBay and the like to see who has been buying up IBM Selectrics, which is probably about all that those tools learned from that excercise in treason.

bbz123 on September 26, 2007 at 6:25 PM

Ya’ mean those values like anti-semitism, sexism, homophobia and racism?

kooly on September 26, 2007 at 6:25 PM

The inability to take a stand in support of the fifty states is liberalisms finest achievement.

If “getting it right” is important, she can start, anytime.

Speakup on September 26, 2007 at 6:25 PM

…saying ‘we’ when referring to the United States…

I get the feeling she wouldn’t have much trouble saying “we” if it were about the US defering to the UN or some such.

eeyore on September 26, 2007 at 6:25 PM

I’m “uncomfortable” with a mouse giving the news … and who believes that a hallmark of journalistic integrity is prefacing her comment with “Thum thay, …”

OhEssYouCowboys on September 26, 2007 at 6:27 PM

…saying ‘we’ when referring to the United States…

sounds weird at first but i think she was just referring to America’s history as a pluralist nation, lots of different opinions including dissenting ones. In the lead up to the Iraq war this pluralism wasn’t as vibrant as it should have been, a lot of opposition views were dismissed as unpatriotic. Which pretty much led us to where we are now.

crr6 on September 26, 2007 at 6:34 PM

Katie my dear
you don’t understand why your a harlot who needs to be shoved in a burka and if you disagree you should be stoned to death. You racist
-Mahmoud

Defector01 on September 26, 2007 at 6:40 PM

crr6 on September 26, 2007 at 6:34 PM

As a proud LGBT caucus member, I know nobody ever asked me my views honey. You neither? It’s a cryin’ shame. With a little spandex, those uniforms could have looked fab.

JiangxiDad on September 26, 2007 at 6:43 PM

What? Her boyfriend dump her?

bloggless on September 26, 2007 at 6:47 PM

JiangxiDad on September 26, 2007 at 6:43 PM

Howling over here!

RushBaby on September 26, 2007 at 6:49 PM

JiangxiDad on September 26, 2007 at 6:43 PM

ZING!

jaime on September 26, 2007 at 6:55 PM

Two-bit journalists like Couric need to find themselves a country they can support and get the hell out of mine.

rplat on September 26, 2007 at 6:56 PM

Useful idiotette.

infidel4life on September 26, 2007 at 7:05 PM

Katie abides the journalists’ metaphoric “man of the world” cariacature and, therefore, is our better. How can you not listen and believe?

To our servicemen overseas: do not expect Katie to warn you of an impending ambush. She will keep faith with her profession, hold to her duty to objectivity, keep the camera rolling and revel in her exclusive when reporting on your deaths. She is definitely a patriot, just not to a country and certainly not to ours.

Dusty on September 26, 2007 at 7:07 PM

Then what the hell is she? English? Canadian? When referring to the US and Americans, if one is American, it is we. Sorry, I do question her patriotism if she doesn’t like to be lumped as an American and part of the United States. Yet another reason not to watch her; not that I ever did.

I was patriotic and proud to be an American even when Clinton was in office. I still loathe the man. It never occurred to me that having a sleazy liar in office had anything to do with how I felt about America itself, just how I felt about the idiots that voted for him.

katieanne on September 26, 2007 at 7:07 PM

Why doesn’t she give up her citizenship?

Where do they keep finding these ass clowns that are supposed to be journalists?

She looks like Mr. Bill in that photo, ” A dead terrorist, oh noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!”

Hening on September 26, 2007 at 7:34 PM

Katie who?

4shoes on September 26, 2007 at 7:46 PM

Katie Couric, shallow thinker.

Zorro on September 26, 2007 at 7:56 PM

Well I understand it just too well but unfortunately she and her fellow left travellers do not.

SIJ6141 on September 26, 2007 at 7:56 PM

Couric’s anti-American attitude will be repaid when she falls completely off the ratings. She’s almost there. Karma Ms. Couric. Karma…

PoliticallyIncorrectSandy on September 26, 2007 at 8:11 PM

And what would those BE? Enlighten us, O Perky One? What “value” do you want to embrace? Pedophilia (psst Katie, illegal here) Polygamy (pssst Katie, illegal here) Honor Killing (psssst Katie, illegal here)

Let us know what value I should embrace or replace.

Honor my father and mother?
I will not kill?
Till death do we part?
I will not lie?
I will not steal?

What?

CrimsonFisted on September 26, 2007 at 8:31 PM

That’s ok, because apparently WE are not watching her.

right2bright on September 26, 2007 at 8:51 PM

I’m confused,you mean liberals actually look for lapels on peoples shirts at partys,like Katie,and actually judge people,and label them,then treat them accordingly.

Umm how judgemental.Hehe

canopfor on September 26, 2007 at 9:13 PM

Green Zone Katie has a following of moonbats. She’ll
doesn’t deserve to wear anything on her lapel except a
George Soros $ emblem

Texyank on September 26, 2007 at 10:57 PM

Only in America can such a perky and narcistic twit become so rich and famous, and still act so ingrateful.

- George Soros
- Kathie Couric
- Pinch Sulzberger
- entourage of American Hollywood and other ‘artistic’ types
- etc.

…birds of the same anti-patriot indignation. Come to think of it…they are our intellectual superiors who are socialist citizens of the world, us coloquial ignoramuses…

Entelechy on September 26, 2007 at 11:07 PM

I took her “colonic tour” on the Today show. Nothing’s changed. She’s still just a big asshole, inside and out.

To hell with her.

georgej on September 26, 2007 at 11:49 PM

Struggling to remain relevant, she proves once again what a stupid little bitch she really is.

D2Boston on September 27, 2007 at 12:29 AM

I apologize for the vulgarity — it’s late here on the east coast, I’m tired and I have really more than had it with Katie Couric, Chris Matthews, David Shuster, Keith Olbermann, and the whole cadre of left wing water-carriers in the media. I’ll exhibit a little more restraint going forward.

D2Boston on September 27, 2007 at 12:35 AM

…her presence, especially as anchor of CBS Evening News, is an insult to women and journalist and women journalist especially, because, quite frankly, the tough women journalist out there are bad ass and she is a twit and it sucks.

I just don’t watch News™ anymore. She is just a reinforcement of that stance.

by Tirge Caps on Sun Mar 25, 2007 at 06:50:41 PM PDT

Katie’s husband

died of cancer at age 42…

that might of made a more interesting part of why she didn’t just give up her career…

also she should have asked cancer experts what’s best for the patients,

the consensus is waiting to die does not help the patient

by inevitibility on Mon Mar 26, 2007 at 05:26:29 AM PDT

Couric has become an embarrasment
of the journalistic fraternity now. She’s turned into a mean-spirited, rank amateur, endowed with a tin ear, intellectually and morally dense, unaware of her lack of sensitivity, and altogether unattractive as a human being.

by mobiusein on Sun Mar 25, 2007 at 08:06:06 PM PDT

The thread of comments like those is huge…

Back in March 2007 when puppet muppet Katie Couric was incurring the wrath of the Kos Kidz over the John and Elizabeth 60-Minutes interview, she was being raked over the coals by the simpering Kos Kidz masses.

They lambasted Katie Couric to the tune of 600 comments and the hugely vast majority of the comments, not to mention the diary itself, was seething and vindictive. They even draggerd her dead husband who passed away due to cancer in to it. I wait with baited breath for the forthcoming DKos diary(s) and comments regarding this.

Will she be redeemed in their eyes? Will she be roasted and toasted again by a diarist suffering a sudden and short-lived moment of clarity (don’t hold your breath…)? Will she simply be ignored? Stay tuned. Same bat time… same bat channel

*by the way, those macro pics links were from the linked DKos comment thread. At least they and I/we agree on something, it seems.

SilverStar830 on September 27, 2007 at 1:51 AM

katieanne on September 26, 2007 at 7:07 PM

Typically, journalists will not refer to themselves in the first person when reporting. Similarly, you will not hear journalists refer to “you” in a news story. Instead you will find “one” used. For example: One could watch CBS news, but why?

None of that takes away from the myriad comments, which revealed Katie Couric’s absolute bias and lack of objectivity.

She actually sounds like she avoided using “we” anytime, not just during newscasts.

I would not hit that.

The Race Card on September 27, 2007 at 2:50 AM

the most amusing thing about the definitive profile, Desperate Networks, was that zero mention was made of what made Zucker and Katie both famous: Zucker taking advantage of the earpiece in Katie’s cute lil’ head that came in ultra handy when Bush 41 stumbled into the interview of Barbara Bush, and amBushed him, via earpiece, about Iran/Contra. Katie Couric was nothing more than a ventriloquists dummy, yet instantly achieved international fame and credibility… and thus we find ourselves in the pathetic postmodern world of news that we inhabit….

wordwarp on September 27, 2007 at 3:00 AM

Does somebody, somewhere care what this fluffernutter thinks?

profitsbeard on September 27, 2007 at 3:31 AM

Entelechy on September 26, 2007 at 11:07 PM

Famous? Oh, the so called News on CBS…, oooohh, yeah Hmmmm.

Kini on September 27, 2007 at 4:28 AM

Another latte/limo liberal lowers lids at lapel attire.

Meanwhile at CBS, yet another sound engineer is fired for not applying cricket filters to the boom mic.

Black Adam on September 27, 2007 at 6:49 AM

If we had a time machine and travelled back about…oh, say 30 years, I suspect we’d find a video of Katie that started out with, “I perthonally belieeeeeve, that some US Americans…”

Alden Pyle on September 27, 2007 at 7:25 AM

So, lemme get this straight.

If Reuters displays a photoshopped image to promote their agenda, that’s a “bad” thing.

But if HotAir does it, it’s perfectly okay.

Just checking.

Dr. Mercury on September 27, 2007 at 8:24 AM

The Race Card on September 27, 2007 at 2:50 AM

She will use “we” at the Democratic convention.

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 8:38 AM

The picture of perky jerky Katie shows what happens when the lights get too hot-botox melts and leaves your face in its natural shape.

Katie you are on CBS because you could not get the news right as NBC saw it.

MSGTAS on September 27, 2007 at 9:26 AM

D2Boston on September 27, 2007 at 12:35 AM

Agreed! I am tired of them too.

On the bright side – the Red Sox are kicking a$$!

nailinmyeye on September 27, 2007 at 9:26 AM

Funny. When she was in Iraq she wasn’t so cynical. I guess since it didn’t provide the ratings boost she had hoped for it is okay to go back to questioning everything.
Or now that she doesn’t need the umbrella of protection by the soldiers she can go back to “supporting the troops but not the mission”.
Support the newsreaders, but not the telecast.

LakeRuins on September 27, 2007 at 9:54 AM

I’ve never watched this airhead and I’m not planning to. If I watch news on the tube, it will be FOX and I’ll still take it with a grain of salt.

Mooseman on September 27, 2007 at 4:53 PM

She will use “we” at the Democratic convention.

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 8:38 AM

DAYUM! You are probably right…but I guess that’s your right.

The Race Card on September 27, 2007 at 6:06 PM

So, lemme get this straight.

But if HotAir does it, it’s perfectly okay.

Just checking.

Dr. Mercury on September 27, 2007 at 8:24 AM

So you don’t see any difference between a photo that was blatantly photoshopped for humorous purposes, and stealthily doctored images being passed off as legitimate news? Because if you can’t figure out that only the latter is intended to deceive, then you are exactly the gullible target audience that the enemedia is looking for.

As for the perky twit, liberals are only “comfortable” with the kind of patriotism that doesn’t actually involve being patriotic.

ReubenJCogburn on September 27, 2007 at 6:27 PM

Maybe if we could convince Katie to wear the burka backwards…

Doug on September 27, 2007 at 9:31 PM