Halo 3: First day sales hit $170 million

posted at 9:42 pm on September 26, 2007 by Bryan

To put that $170 million into perspective, Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace was arguably the most anticipated movie of the last 30 years, if not in the entire history of the film industry. Its first-day take: $28.5 million.

$170 million.
$28.5 million.

Revenge of the Sith would go on to shatter TPM’s first-day total to rake in about $50 million. Which is less than a third of what Halo 3 took in. Halo 3 also beat Spider-Man 3′s record of $150 million on the first day.

Besides the money, there’s the fan base. In its first day, Halo 3 has 1.2 million online users who have already killed off something like half a billion baddies in the game. The usage map spans the globe.

Halo is the new king of all entertainment. And I’ve never played a single minute of Halo, ever. What am I missing?

*Correction: The $150 million for Spider-Man 3 is a 3-day total.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

I don’t consider myself much of a gamer as I tend to play in spurts (sometimes up to a week without playing. What, stop laughing!) and refuse to play console. I’m an RTS/RPG guy and frankly, most FPS games bore me because they will often rely too much on flash and forget about good storyline (major exceptions: Half Life and Elder Scrolls, although Oblivion was something of a letdown). My wife is one of those who thinks gaming is childish, but she prefers to let sleeping dogs lie as a) video games are cheap compared to other hobbies (does anyone know what ammo costs these days?) and b) I am incredibly frugal when it comes to buying new games.

Frankly, I don’t see how playing most games differs much from reading a moderately trashy novel. They sure beat the heck out of brain-deadening TV in that they require at least SOME skill and/or problem solving ability. As in everything, the key is moderation, because lets be honest, a shut in is a shut in whether he’s reading Tolstoy or laying waste to imaginary civilizations.

Militant Bibliophile on September 27, 2007 at 4:27 AM

Wow, look at all the uppity people who’ve never played a video game in their lives, yet see fit to judge others based upon their ignorance.

What are you guys, liberals?

triple on September 27, 2007 at 6:16 AM

Hopefully by the time most of you hit 35, you will have outgrown video games and found real life more engaging. As if the internet wasn’t addictive and time-consuming enough, we now have video gaming to remove us from the reality around us even more. Then add to that online gaming, a combination of internet and video gaming, and many adults, mostly single men, never leave their rooms except to go to work.

jihadwatcher on September 26, 2007 at 10:20 PM

Yes, jihadwatcher, life is more engaging than video games. That doesn’t mean that games aren’t an enjoyable and rewarding form of entertainment.

When I was a child, my mother, aunts and uncles would occasionally get together and play card games together.

Last week, I played a round of Tiger Woods 2008 with my cousin stationed in Japan.

Multiplayer video games have not created a new entertainment industry, as some would have you believe. What has really changed is the medium; technology now allows us to play group games over vast distances.

As far as solo games like BioShock: If you’d ever played the game (which IMHO is > than Halo) you would know that it is akin to reading an interactive movie chalk full of engaging decision making and literary allusions.

A curious mind plays. A mind that plays learns.

What you need to realize is that it’s not playing games (of any sort) which is the litmus test for adulthood. Its the level of priority you set for such activities that matters.

12thman on September 27, 2007 at 6:43 AM

Price of a movie ticket = $10
Price of Halo 3 = $60

Movie ticket: buy once, use once
Halo 3: buy once, use many

So you have movie fanboys potentially buying more than one ticket on the opening day, but even the most ultra-hardcore Halo 3 fan is only going to plunk down his money once to buy the game.

Parsing the price difference into an indication of first-day fanboyism fails on other levels, too:

Price of a movie ticket per hour of (intended) entertainment: $10/2 = $5.00
Price of Halo 3 per hour of gameplay: $60/24 (for hard core fans with nothing else mandatory to do that day) = as low as $2.50

This one fails too because most people aren’t going to play Halo 3 for 24 hours straight.

In the end, you’re left with the one valid comparison that Bryan made…the limited dollars people have to spend and how many absolute dollars they spent on each.

James on September 27, 2007 at 7:56 AM

I stopped playing because I’d get up and I couldn’t frigging walk too many times. Reading has been much more rewarding.

tomas on September 27, 2007 at 8:08 AM

My wife asked me what I thought was a bigger phenomenon: Halo or Potter? I had to say Potter, hands down, but man is this one close.

That said, was anyone else ridiculously underwhelmed by the length and finale of Halo 3? I joined 2 friends online for the co-op and beat the game in under 6 hours.

Hootie on September 27, 2007 at 8:13 AM

Some more video game numbers to scare you. World of Warcraft has something like 9 million subscribers now. That means they have sold 9 million copies of the game for $30-$50 and have close to 9 million people paying around $15 a month. (Subscriptions work differently in the Asian market so it may be a bit lower.) Bottom line is their annual revenue is over $1 billion.

bj1126 on September 27, 2007 at 8:18 AM

SilverStar830 on September 27, 2007 at 2:36 AM

Of course not everyone who plays video games are brain dead, but you know as well as I that in order to be any good at video games A LOT of time has to be spent practicing. It’s a pretend world that doesn’t exist and creates a false set of values in respect to interacting with real live people. Unless you get a kick back job that doesn’t require a lot of your attention to make money, video games will soon be replaced by real world experiences when you enter the work place.

All the hours spent getting good at video games is wasted time that you will never get back.

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 8:19 AM

El Guapo on September 27, 2007 at 2:41 AM

Yeah, that’s the typical response from people who waste their lives in lala land because they can’t cope in the real world.

But that’s OK, you just keep telling yourself your life is meaningful because you waste it away playing stupid video games. Most people are perfectly fine with who they are and don’t need to get their badassness from games designed for children.

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 8:24 AM

El Guapo on September 27, 2007 at 2:45 AM

Like wow!! Totally gnarly dude! Save the world from the bad guys macho man! You’re tough! You want a medal or something? HEY! Lucky us! All I have to do is get good at video games and I can be a general for a real army planning attacks and winning real wars!!

Who’d a thunk it?

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 8:30 AM

csdeven,

That’s about the typical unreasoned, bigoted response I’d expect from you. Thanks for not destroying my image of you.

bj1126 on September 27, 2007 at 8:34 AM

Revenge of the Sith would go on to shatter TPM’s first-day total to rake in about $50 million. Which is less than a third of what Halo 3 took in. Halo 3 also beat Spider-Man 3’s record of $150 million on the first day.

You don’t understand, Bryan, you have to go outside into the real world to watch a movie at a theater. You may have to interact with society, maybe even talk to someone, sit next to a stranger. Your asking way to much for a lot of people.

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 8:43 AM

Hootie on September 27, 2007 at 8:13 AM

Both Halo 3 and the final harry potter book made 170million the first day. Very close. But Harry Potter wins because its has 7 books and Halo is done at 3

unseen on September 27, 2007 at 9:00 AM

Hootie

Unfortunately it’s become standard now for the single player game (which is what you play through on co-op) to be much shorter because it requires more work in development. Bioshock’s was longer than the norm probably because there’s no multi-player in the game.

right2bright

That’s a rather ignorant response. I got TF2 because several of my real life friends got it and we’ve been playing online together. Seeing as how real life has become so busy for many of us with work and family, it’s far easier to meet online for an hour. We can use either the in game voice chat or our own Teamspeak server to talk during the game.

So in many cases games like these aren’t the anti-social choice. As a matter of fact they are a very social choice.

Benaiah on September 27, 2007 at 9:02 AM

I’d just like to go on record as being really depressed that none of you highly vocal game-geeks are old enough to pick up on my “Adventure” reference earlier in this thread.

Sigh. Maybe I should just change my HotAir ID to “Grandpa Simpson.”

Anton on September 27, 2007 at 9:02 AM

Sigh. Maybe I should just change my HotAir ID to “Grandpa Simpson.”

Anton

A Zork reference would have been easier to pick up on.

Benaiah on September 27, 2007 at 9:06 AM

Exactly, you only have a certain amount of time in development, and you have only a certain amount of resources. Bioshock was so good because they spent all of their time making a single player mode. If they had made a multiplayer mode like the fanboys were begging for the quality would have dipped.

That’s the problem with Halo, they try to do everything and they get bleh quality for it. If the single player campaign is only 6 hours I take it they spent most of their time on the multiplayer?

Keljeck on September 27, 2007 at 9:06 AM

Damn server overloaded again last night. Couldnt play COD4 beta. 2 more days left…

JVelez on September 27, 2007 at 9:08 AM

All the hours spent getting good at video games learning to play chess playing pool with friends watching football on Sunday watching YouTube videos reading sci-fi books doing Suduko puzzles staring up at the stars learning how to play hearts building model cars making snarky blog posts is wasted time that you will never get back.

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 8:19 AM

Hopefully you get the point.

12thman on September 27, 2007 at 9:23 AM

bj1126 on September 27, 2007 at 8:34 AM

No bigotry about it dude. I seen the effects of this infatuation with living in the video game world. Look at the response in this thread. Some of these people actually think this crap provides real world skills. “Wow dude! I can be a general and plan battles for real live wars!!!!”

The ONLY skill video games provide are eye/hand coordination.

Tell you what badass, you want to prove how tough you are, hook yourself up to a 120v power source while playing a video game so it shocks you every time you are injured in the game.

Yeah, that’s what I thought. You are sooooooooo tough.

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 9:23 AM

I’m 38 and still play. I have gone from rolls of quarters for Donkey Kong at the local pizza parlor to on-line multiplayer with people all of the world. (Although I hate getting thumped by 12 yrs olds) Halo 3 in the new standard. You are missing it Bryan…catch up!!

Can’t wait for COD4!!!

~B

Brian on September 27, 2007 at 9:24 AM

12thman on September 27, 2007 at 9:23 AM

Just helping plant the seed of reality for you video game shut ins. And if it don’t work for you, maybe I can enlighten another poor soul who can’t deal with the real world of living breathing people.

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 9:25 AM

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and lay csdeven and jihadwatcher are old farts.
Just kidding fellas, but really, lighten up. Yes there are some people who lose themselves in games (see South Park’s excellent WoW episode) but some of us, like this 34 year old, merely use it for a little relaxation. Nothing better than killing a few (hundred) Nazi’s on Call of Duty to unwind. Of course, this is after I’ve cooked dinner and helped my boy with his homework and read a story. It’s no different than watching a t.v. show at night.

SouthernDem on September 27, 2007 at 9:26 AM

The ONLY skill video games provide are eye/hand coordination.

And puzzle solving skills.
Logic.
Teamwork.

Hell, they can make you smarter. Have you ever heard of Brain Age? There are games that teach you how to cook food and train your face. Nintendo is publishing one that teaches you how to do magic tricks. There are numerous English Training games in Japan.

So now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

Keljeck on September 27, 2007 at 9:28 AM

see South Park’s excellent WoW episode

How do you kill, that which has no life?

Keljeck on September 27, 2007 at 9:28 AM

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 8:43 AM

You got that right.

The worse part about this is these shut ins think that interacting with other shut ins is just like interacting with real world folks.

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 9:31 AM

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 9:31 AM

I’m sorry csdeven, but your Princess is in another castle.

Keljeck on September 27, 2007 at 9:33 AM

csdeven

For someone who obviously lives under a bridge, you sure are judgmental.

Benaiah on September 27, 2007 at 9:40 AM

jjjen on September 27, 2007 at 12:11 AM

Yeah my sons got the same thing. worked for a while after but then it bought the dust a final time. I went and bought another from walmart. Their 90 day return policy should be just the ticket for the 4 week wait for repairs.

unseen on September 27, 2007 at 12:17 AM

If it’s 3 blinking red lights when you turn it on, they’ve extended the warranty for 3 years. If you call they will actually send you a pre-paid box to ship it to them.

jjjen on September 27, 2007 at 9:43 AM

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 9:25 AM

Well that made me laugh.

FYI: I’m no shut in. I’m engaged, am the gaurdian of two minors, have a good career in the technology sector and am an associate minister at my church.

Video games are a source of entertainment just those other activities I struck out. I’m sorry you can’t seem to comprehend that.

12thman on September 27, 2007 at 9:44 AM

I can’t believe no one has mentioned the awesomeness of Okami!

As an artist, I LOVE this game. This is a hidden treasure amongst some really awful games.

I played Halo and then Halo 2. I wasn’t impressed by the second installment–it seemed just like the first game and I became bored.

Also, Master Chief ain’t got nothin’ on Sam Fisher. Period. Spilnter Cell is a much better game, hands down.

robblefarian on September 27, 2007 at 9:44 AM

csdeven,

If you think only shut-ins play, u are really disconnected pal. Maybe it is time to push back from the keyboard and tell mom to finish making your lunch, you’re going to be late for school.

Run along now.

Brian on September 27, 2007 at 9:46 AM

I don’t have a xbox 360 yet but I played Halo 1 and 2 quite a bit on the original xbox and I’ve watched my roommate (who has a 360) play Halo 3 quite a bit already as he got it at midnight on the release day being the video game junkie that he is. I’m just a casual player myself who can hold his own fairly well but this guy is a killing machine. Seriously, if I play against him online, it’s like I’m not even trying he kills me that easily most of the time as he’s played so much more than me.

Yakko77 on September 27, 2007 at 9:54 AM

I’ve never played either but my nephew has Halo loaded it on this computer (better graphics than his laptop). He loves it.

Zorro on September 26, 2007 at 10:05 PM

Then it is out of date. With DX10 out computers out do the Xbox and the PS3 in the looks department.

Tim Burton on September 27, 2007 at 9:59 AM

Brain dead idiots wasting their lives away living in a pretend world.

Brilliant!

csdeven on September 26, 2007 at 10:47 PM

Are you talking about people supporting 3rd rate presidential candidates with mash letter type posts, or video games? Just wanted to be sure. Nice to see you have no idea what you’re talking about in other things besides politics.

austinnelly on September 27, 2007 at 10:05 AM

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and lay csdeven and jihadwatcher are old farts.
SouthernDem on September 27, 2007 at 9:26 AM

That WoW episode is one of my favorites.

Old Fart=Experienced in the ways of life. ;-)

Yeah there are lots of folks who play within reason but most who will spend 6 hours to beat this game aren’t new to it. They been doing their whole lives and this is just game # 500 that they have wasted endless hours of their lives getting good at. Just look at the responses about supposed “real world” killa skilz they are developing. Too, too funny.

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 10:07 AM

Your bigotry is apparent right here. You don’t even know how video games have evolved over the last 5-10 years yet you sit here passing judgment on them and people that play them like it’s 1985.

The ONLY skill video games provide are eye/hand coordination.

I don’t know the social skills they’ve given me are superior to yours it would seem.

I’ve taken enough doses of 120 in my time thank you very much. It has nothing to do with proving how tough you are either. It’s about being entertained in a way that is more mentally engaging than television or movies and meeting new and interesting people while you are doing it.

bj1126 on September 27, 2007 at 10:18 AM

Bwahahahahaha!!!

People who never bother to respond on these blogs get all exercised when someone criticizes their shut in life styles.

Sad. Really sad.

austinnelly on September 27, 2007 at 10:05 AM

1st, why would I engage you in mechanical engineering, hunting, or gardening discussion on a political blog?

2nd, you’ll be sure to let the group know how the shut ins video game time help make decisions that shape the future of this country. Stuff like selecting candidates that will nominate good justices etc.

See, this is what I’m talking about. Spending a few hours a week relaxing with a video game is one thing, but look at the responses we are getting. Some of these guys are totally defensive because they KNOW for a fact that the excessive time they spend in their fake video game world does no one any good. Even themselves. They are addicted to the instant gratification and are the pawns of cleverly designed video games that keep the ultimate goal just barely out of their reach. I haven’t heard a single gamer with “mad skilz” that didn’t have a major let down when the reach the final victory in the game.

I don’t really care what losers do with their lives, but when they try to defend it as a good use of time, well, I’m gonna call that what it is all day long.

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 10:21 AM

jihadwatcher on September 26, 2007 at 10:20 PM

That’s such an ignorant comment. Many people play games socially, men and women by the way. For those people, playing a video game is no further from real life than another person’s game of basketball, football, or whatever it is that you do for fun, if you do anything at all.

It’s a form of entertainment that actually engages the mind, and it’s much better for a person, young or old, than watching a TV show or a movie.

Puzzle solving games are good. But these FPS games are just crack cocaine for the senses. The fact that these games are played by adults is the salient point of my remark.

jihadwatcher on September 26, 2007 at 9:58 PM

These first person shooter games often involve puzzles.

To put it into perspective, if Halo 3’s gross was $170 million, you can compare it to Phantom Menance by dividing that number by 6, which equals $28.3 million. Just a tad below $28.5 mil for the Phanton Menance’s one day total.
Hmmmm.

Its Tommy on September 26, 2007 at 10:06 PM

Yes, but you get to keep the game, which means that one game can go for more than one person whereas one ticket is only for one person. So the 1 to 6 ratio is off a little.

I agree that it’s not exactly a fair comparison, a better comparison might be to show the DVD sales versus the Halo 3 sales, but even then, it wouldn’t be quite right.

Either way, Halo 3 is BIG for gamers.

Esthier on September 27, 2007 at 10:23 AM

I prefer to think of video games as the “relaxation time” of the grown-up.

Especially the grown up with a toddler.

Slublog on September 26, 2007 at 9:57 PM

BINGO!

Now will someone convince my wife of this? At this point she merely tolerates my play. You’d think I play for hours on end with the passive-aggressive hairy eyeball I get from her. I only log serious time when she and the kid are not around.

(whispers) Which is not often enough, but you did not hear that from me.

ej_pez on September 27, 2007 at 10:26 AM

bj1126 on September 27, 2007 at 10:18 AM

Oh, you’ve taken 120v? How tough you are! I knew you wouldn’t be willing to suffer the pain that your virtual alter ego has to suffer. How God-like of you.

Mentally engaged with fake characters and other shut ins. Step away from the game dude! Go out into the sun, but make sure you wear some SPF 10,000 so you don’t burn. And try to remember that the people you meet out of doors will be mostly normal folk who actually know how to carry on a real live conversation that isn’t based on interacting with alter egos.

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 10:27 AM

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 10:21 AM

And your time here, it’s somehow useful for society?

Esthier on September 27, 2007 at 10:31 AM

That’s an absurd statement.

Esthier on September 27, 2007 at 10:33 AM

csdeven,

Make sure you read the comments posted here: Grant Eric Butenhoff

I am thoroughly proud to have associated with “shut ins and losers” like that man there.

Then when you’re done read this.

bj1126 on September 27, 2007 at 10:39 AM

Wow…some interesting viewpoints. I think some posters have a serious bias against technology. But I doubt they would claim that watching television for 4 hours a night would indicate the ‘death of the grownup’.

Get on board, fellas. In about 10 years or so, they’ll find a way to plug directly into your brain, into your senses. Your fundamental reality is going to change.

You won’t drive to the office. You’ll plug in and ‘be’ there with your co-workers. Movies? I assume there will still be a market, but wouldn’t you rather be ‘in’ the movie and experience it along with the characters in the storyline. And video games…forget about it. If you are playing a FPS, you’ll feel the heft of the gun in your hand, smell the stink of your own sweat in your helmet and hear the birds in the trees as you zero in on a compound.

Humanity +1

Asher on September 27, 2007 at 10:41 AM

What’s absurd is the mental contortion required to come up with ‘people are getting defensive, therefore there must not be anything about the thing they’re defending to defend.’

James on September 27, 2007 at 10:43 AM

Esthier on September 27, 2007 at 10:31 AM

Tell you what, I’ll put up the positive influence this blog (and others like it) have on society and the influence you and those like you spend discussion the nuances between WoW and HALO 3.

Don’t you see it? You are so involved in your fake little world you think what you do is the same as what we do here.

Jeeze! What a bunch of clowns.

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 10:49 AM

I’m a shut-in and proud of it.

Darth Executor on September 27, 2007 at 10:50 AM

James on September 27, 2007 at 10:43 AM

If it isn’t such a huge part of your life, my defend it with asinine reasoning?

OH, THAT’S RIGHT!!! That’s how life is in the video game world! Guess what oh great and powerful gnarly one? This is real life, not a video game.

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 10:51 AM

Darth Executor on September 27, 2007 at 10:50 AM

This ought to be rich!

Yep! That’s what I thought.

Hello? Anybody home? Do I have to reach you through a fake online game where I am some made up alter ego and so are you?

Get a life dude.

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 10:58 AM

csdeven

WOW!

Not WoW.

Just WOW!

I guess I should have read all of the comments, though the “flames” were getting a little hot. I think I missed something. Why does this topic have you so unhinged today?

Just a question, before you unleash the hounds on me as well.

ej_pez on September 27, 2007 at 11:01 AM

it’s a wicked awesome fps about a marine supersoldier fighting against an alien coalition of theocratic despots who, due to their misinterpretation of historical artifacts, imperil all life in the universe to certain extinction.

it’s really that litterally a pro-wot a metaphor. check it out.

jummy on September 27, 2007 at 11:01 AM

Jeeze! What a bunch of clowns.

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 10:49 AM

First off, I don’t even have a 360 and haven’t played a game like Halo in a very long time.

Second, so long as you’re sitting on your butt typing on a computer, you are not doing anything.

You’re currently talking to all of us through a fake alter ego. Do you really not get that?

Reading the news is one thing, but posting responses on blogs is literally no different than what people do on myspace.

Esthier on September 27, 2007 at 11:06 AM

What’s wrong with playing with wooden building blocks? Who needs all this ‘technology’ stuff anyway? There outta be a law agin it.

What the hell am I typing on? Where am I?

Ochlan on September 27, 2007 at 11:06 AM

Why does this topic have you so unhinged today?

ej_pez on September 27, 2007 at 11:01 AM

He’s rarely any other way lately.

Esthier on September 27, 2007 at 11:07 AM

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 10:58 AM

I already have a life. An alternate life. And there’s nothing you can do about it. =P

Now if you’ll excuse me, my level 20 Warlock/Cleric/Paladin/Fighter dual wielding adamantine scythes has some work to do, and Internet door to door JW salesmen preaching eternal reality can’t get to me.

Darth Executor on September 27, 2007 at 11:10 AM

Maybe csdeven is a member of the fringe cult of Amish Nazis?

Ochlan on September 27, 2007 at 11:19 AM

Benaiah on September 27, 2007 at 9:02 AM

Hey, I posted my response to Bryan as a tongue in cheek:

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 8:43 AM

But after reading some of the defensive attacks, I’m not so sure I’m not right.
Lighten up, it is a video game that takes several hours to play, with people you will never meet. It’s a game where you sit in front of a monitor and become something your not. It is fantasy. Well, it’s fantasy unless you begin dressing up like the characters, talk like the characters, act out in a defensive attack like the characters, begin to take on the persona of a “soldier” and…hmmm, maybe you step back from the computer, take a deep breath and say…”It is just a game, it is not real, it is just a game, I am just playing a game, Halo is not real”.

That should help, your welcome.

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 11:44 AM

I haven’t played any of the Halo games, but Hot Air: Flame Wars looks pretty badass.

I’m conflicted. I had an Atari 2600 as a kid, and then got out of gaming altogether for a quarter century before I picked up a Nintendo DS and my nephew gave me his old Game Cube.

First, I was disabused of my notion that these are just shoot-em-ups. Holy crap, have these things evolved. It’s no wonder movies are suffering in comparison, when now you can essentially “play” inside a movie with a backstory that rivals any film out there. As an arsty fartsy guy, I’m in awe of the design as well. This ain’t Adventure.

What can I say? I’ve been pwned by Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga. The puzzles in some of these role-playing games are tough. I work with a training company that allegedly offers adults “branched learning,” but any RPG on the market blows us away in terms of sheer scale and ambition.

That said, these things can be as addictive as crack.

If you want to fight about it, add me to your Metroid Prime Hunters list: Name: Brett Code: 4725-5802-3592. One caveat: I suck.

saint kansas on September 27, 2007 at 11:55 AM

What exactly is your problem CSDeven??

Seriously, I have been reading HotAir for while and never have taken the time to actually post any of my comments…but I have read plenty of yours. Why do you always come off like a stuck up, know it all jerk?

I am not talking about your opinions here. I’m just talking about the way you choose to state those opinions. The I am better than all and I am going to let you know it attitude to your posts doesnt win any friends and doesnt change anyone elses opinion to yours. Is this in your face attitude really just a cry for attention? Why are you constantly looking for confrontation? Talk about anti-social behavior! You seem to really come unglued in your posts. That can’t be healthy. Meds can help!

Ok..so now on to important stuff….yea Halo 3 rocks! To the guy who said the game was “underwhelming”…try it by yourself on Legendary getting all the skulls and get back to me.

ASublimeGuy on September 27, 2007 at 12:00 PM

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 11:44 AM

I don’t know what you’re reading, but the majority of the rabid attacks are coming from people who, for some unknown reason, are passionately upset that other people are playing games inside.

Which again, we’re all here on an Internet board using fake names and talking about these over which we have little to no power. I agree that there is a difference between Hot Air and Halo 3, but it’s minor enough to make the attacks here seem completely insane.

Esthier on September 27, 2007 at 12:00 PM

Who says you’ll never meet them? I know 3 couples that are married with wonderful who met playing online games. I’ve gone to visit quite a few of the people I’ve met online. It’s common for MMO guilds to have annual gatherings in places like Vegas etc.

bj1126 on September 27, 2007 at 12:10 PM

…attacks here seem completely insane
Esthier on September 27, 2007 at 12:00 PM

Like I said, lighten up, it is just a game to most normal people.

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 12:10 PM

The attacks are so ignorant and inane, too. That’s what is so irritating. It really is like trying to argue with a Moonbat and an unfortunate reminder that, even though we all share a disdain for the left, there are plenty of tedious jerks on the right, too.

Kensington on September 27, 2007 at 12:13 PM

If it isn’t such a huge part of your life, my defend it with asinine reasoning?

I presume you mean to ask why defend it…and the asinine reasoning here is that you think that getting defensive about something means there’s nothing worthwhile about it to defend. I shall quote you directly (emphasis mine):

Would you apply the same non sequitur to everything? (“Those that get defensive about liberals criticizing the Iraq war KNOW for a fact that the excessive time we’ve spent over there does no one any good.”) I think not. In fact, the very act of getting defensive shows that the topic in question DOES have value to the defender.

So…really, what’s the deal here? Is there a red pickup easter egg featured somewhere in Halo 3?

(add the obligatory 3…2…1…)

James on September 27, 2007 at 12:25 PM

Having no social life, no friends and never seeing the sun again.

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on September 27, 2007 at 12:28 PM

Esthier on September 27, 2007 at 11:06 AM

From your POV, yeah you’re right. You add nothing here. But just ask the senate if blogs and the people who discuss matters of importance didn’t make a difference during the shamnesty debate.

Go back to your video game life where you think your fake world has the same meaning as this forum where real people discuss real issues that affect the real world.

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 12:29 PM

Having no social life, no friends and never seeing the sun again.

Dread Pirate Roberts VI on September 27, 2007 at 12:28 PM

Say’s the guy who uses a screen name based on a movie…

bj1126 on September 27, 2007 at 12:30 PM

James on September 27, 2007 at 12:25 PM

HOLY CRAP! Now you loons are comparing the war in Iraq with your shut in video game life!!!

Do us a favor will ya? STAY AWAY FROM THE POLLING BOOTH!!

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 12:31 PM

On that subject I’ve met a senate staffer while playing online games… ;)

bj1126 on September 27, 2007 at 12:31 PM

All of you who think that the skills learned from video games don’t ammount to much? Yu need to take a better look at the US Military, one of the largest non-commercial users of the video simulation. Pluse, in the last few years, Unmanned arierial vehicls,Unmanned underwarter submersibles,Unmanned Ground Combat Vehicles and the likes are putting a premium on video game skills.

Get with the 21st centry!

opusrex on September 27, 2007 at 12:33 PM

Besides, people nd social lives are overrated.

opusrex on September 27, 2007 at 12:34 PM

bj1126 on September 27, 2007 at 12:10 PM

So you are saying that many, or even a small percentage get together and play with each other? Kind of like a Star Trek convention? Do you bring your kids, dress them up? Do a little role playing? Sounds like a fun family outing, with friends with similiar interest. Always good to have people with these common interests, congregate in one place…we can keep an eye on them.

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 12:35 PM

Do us a favor will ya? STAY AWAY FROM THE POLLING BOOTH!!

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 12:31 PM

Wow, you sure got defensive all of a sudden. Must mean you’re full of crap, according to your ‘logic.’

James on September 27, 2007 at 12:36 PM

ASublimeGuy on September 27, 2007 at 12:00 PM

I can always try to reach the video shut ins like you. Even if you don’t come around this time, the seed is planted and perhaps one day you’ll be able to get out of doors and experience the real world.

And how do you know who I influence? The only time you choose to get involved is when your shut in existence is criticized.

This is what I’m talking about. Your involvement with real people is so lacking that you can’t understand anyone else’s POV or the reason it is done the way it is. They don’t bother going into deep personality development in video games. They leave that up to the player, who has no real life so he creates a fake alter ego that has all the traits that the player doesn’t have.

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 12:38 PM

opusrex on September 27, 2007 at 12:33 PM

OH JEEZE! Eye/hand coordination can be taught and you don’t have to train the video game reality mentality out of them. Those technicians KNOW that they are killing real live people in the performance of their jobs.

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 12:41 PM

bj1126 on September 27, 2007 at 12:31 PM

As disconnected from reality those idiots are and you think that’s a credible statement?

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 12:43 PM

Where’s Michelle? She and Bryan were hitting Wii Sports pretty hard a couple of weeks ago.

saint kansas on September 27, 2007 at 12:48 PM

I don’t see this as a plus for Ahmedinejad as many of the other here seem to. Sure, they’ll spin it back home, but all it will be remembered for is drawing laughs and boos when he said that Iran doesn’t have a problem with gays.

Meanwhile, Congress has tightened investment in Iran (This isn’t good for them), France (No, I didn’t stutter) even came out and joined us and stated that it will stop Iran from getting nukes at all costs.

I bet that the Mullahs in Iran will be having a nice little chat with Dinnerjacket when get gets back to Iran. They can certainly not be pleased with these turn of events.

Scorched_Earth on September 27, 2007 at 12:58 PM

I bet csdeven is just upset because nobody uses 20-sided dice anymore.

(Except maybe the fantasy sports nerds to resolve a matchup between their +3 Helm of Tackling and their opponent’s Cleats of Destiny.)

James on September 27, 2007 at 12:58 PM

Oops…wrong thread

Scorched_Earth on September 27, 2007 at 12:59 PM

James – - – LOL!!!

Brian on September 27, 2007 at 1:07 PM

James on September 27, 2007 at 12:58 PM

csdeven is not upset. csdeven is trying to reach the shut ins because he cares about all people.

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 1:07 PM

Well, shut ins, I’m going out to mow the lawn and put away the lawn furniture in preparation for the winter.

A lawn is green and it covers the ground. During the warm months it has to be “chopped” with a machine that has a sharp blade on the bottom. The machine is called a “lawn mower” There are many types. But basically you can push one or ride one. Since I have a very large green area I use a “riding lawn mower”.

You know it’s winter when the green is covered in white, cold stuff. When the white cold stuff is on the ground (it’s called “snow”) you need to change out of your pajamas and put on warm clothes and a heavy jacket if you go outside. You usually wont need SPF during the winter months, unless you go skiing. I wont explain what skiing is because you probably have a skiing game. I guess that means you wont be going outside during the winter? I mean there is no need to prove your mad skiing skilz in the real world since you already beat the game.

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 1:16 PM

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 1:16 PM

What are SPF’s, can I shoot them with a lazer canon, or a sonic phazer generator?

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 1:43 PM

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 1:07 PM

And csdeven refers to himself in the third person…

Like I said, lighten up, it is just a game to most normal people.

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 12:10 PM

Where in my post do I make it sound as though it’s more than just a game?

If anything, those of us who have played games know this more than those of you who are going nuts trying to criticize us. You are far more up in arms than the rest of us, and I fail to understand why you’d care, especially since it’s “just a game.” It really makes as much since as if I were to rabidly yell at everyone who watches football.

GUYS, IT’S JUST A GAME. Yeah, I know that. I wish you did too.

I’m calm. I can’t say the same thing for csdeven, but that’s been true ever since Thompson first considered running for president.

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 12:29 PM

1. Even Allah believes radio had more to do with shamnesty than blogs, and as great as this site is, he’s likely right.

2. If all that matters are things like what happened with shamnesty, then all of the other threads are still just as useless as playing Halo 3. So I better not see you in any of Allah’s Friday stupid threads.

3. You do realize that you’re also talking about Bryan here, don’t you? This is at least the third thread he’s posted about video games. One was a computer game demo he downloaded that he gave an incredible review of. Another was an online role playing game he recommended playing. So Bryan’s just another shut in to you. Seems weird that you’d waste your time at a site run by a shut in, but really, all of that says far more about you than it does him.

Esthier on September 27, 2007 at 1:54 PM

Good. While he’s out cutting the lawn (mine must be over the roof by now because I don’t experience the outside world) we can wonder aloud why he chose to even comment in a thread about a topic that he is so vehemently against. Just move along.

As for the “positive influence” of this and other blogs that he keeps speaking of…I felt none from his attacks and judgments.

Why attack a group that, on the whole, shares similar values and goals? (except, perhaps, this one) Heaven forbid you keep your sour grapes to yourself or move on to the next thread. Why do that when you can relentlessly attack people who happen to enjoy something you do not? Why not foist absurd judgements on them in an attempt to belittle them and make them feel ashamed…or whatever your goal was.

I for one, don’t appreciate the lumping together of all people who might dare to spend a bit of their free time doing something they enjoy, into a SMALL group who can’t separate reality from the virtual. Who do you think you are “yelling” at? You want to pigeonhole every person who dares to play a video game into a stereo-typical, pimply-faced pre-teen who prefers his dark room to living life to what you would consider the fullest. You don’t think that any of the people you have flamed don’t have and handle real issues in the real world on a daily basis? You need to back away from the blogs and take a deep breath.

What an @ss. Thank God your Mom made you go out an cut the lawn.

ej_pez on September 27, 2007 at 1:57 PM

VIDEO GAMES (REQUIRES STAYING INDOORS WITH NO PHYSICAL ACTIVITY):
1) Sales of video game software alone were $7.4 billion in 2006.
2) 69% of American heads-of-households play video games.
3) The average gamer has been playing games for 12 years.
4) 38% of gamers are women.
5) The game industry is expected to generate $29 billion worldwide in 2007.
6) Xbox Live and World of Warcraft have over 16 million subscribers–a number expected to increase exponentially when Xbox Live services are made available in India and China–creating a vibrant online social network.

GAMBLING (REQUIRES STAYING INDOORS WITH NO PHYSICAL ACTIVITY):
1) Annual gambling profits in American casinos are more than $30 billion while lotteries are ~$17 billion
2) The average debt incurred by an American male pathological gambler is between $55,000 and $90,000 (it is $15,000 for female gamblers)
3) The average rate of divorce for gamblers is nearly double that of non-gamblers
4) The suicide rate for pathological gamblers is 20 times higher than for non-gamblers
5) 65% of pathological gamblers commit crimes to support their gambling habit

Christian psychologist Gregory L. Jantz, Ph.D notes that gambling among young people is on the increase since 2000:
+42% of 14-year-olds
+49% of 15-year-olds
+63% of 16-year-olds
+76% of 18-year-olds

Young gamblers rarely bet on themselves in games of skill, relying instead on bets of games based on random outcomes (i.e. not video games).

Empricial evidence shows gambling has a much more negative impact on modern human society as a whole, so where are the smarmy, self-righteous insults on this forum directed at gamblers?

ScottMcC on September 27, 2007 at 2:01 PM

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 12:35 PM

No we don’t get together to play the game. =P

Sorry to burst your bubble, but most of us aren’t poor schlubs living in our mother’s basement. Most of us are well educated, traveled individuals with successful careers. For example, we’re planning a trip to Jackson Hole next summer to stay at a resort there, and go horse back riding, canoing, and sight seeing.

bj1126 on September 27, 2007 at 2:06 PM

Essentially, just about every video game boils down to the Atari game of “Pong”, it’s just that today, it looks a heck of a lot better and you have more degrees of freedom (x,y,z planes instead of just x). I am not making a qualitative statement but merely a matter of fact.

With that said, I have played and now beaten all of the Halo games. If I were to put them in an order of best to worst, in a manner we all have done for the Star Wars films (the original trilogy), I would put Halo 1 as the best game, followed by Halo 3, and ending way down at the end Halo 2.

Halo 3 gives us, as with many other games, an insight into where the game designers are going with the technology now that the hardware is becoming advanced enough for more realistic gaming. The landscape, buildings, ships far off in the distance are all rendered realtime. I know that there are other games which have already had such capabilities, e.g. Far Cry, what I am talking about is the increasing capabilities of realism.

Personally, more than nifty sound effects, frames-per-sec speed, AI, and graphics detail, I would choose more realistic physics. If the physics aspects of gaming were improved, I think that not only would games be more fun (at least for the FPS games) to play, but the other aspects that I mentioned above would follow suit.

Then again, I’m biased because I’m a Physics major :)

Weebork on September 27, 2007 at 2:09 PM

ScottMcC on September 27, 2007 at 2:01 PM

I’m sure there’s plenty to spread for both from those who wish to spread insults. I’m sure csdeven hates that too. Then again, I know so few things that he doesn’t hate aside from Mitt Romney.

Esthier on September 27, 2007 at 2:18 PM

Esthier on September 27, 2007 at 1:54 PM

Bringing in the big guns, wanting us to diss Bryan? Thinking name dropping makes the argument immune, because Bryan is the man? We’re not afraid of Bryan.
Ok, Bryan, first chew your food with your mouth closed, get a tan or spray one on, you look pasty. Eating McD fries, while blogging and posting and streaming does nothing to help these peoples image of a geek. Your only saving grace is that you had a babe on your right side, most of the gamers have a blow up doll.

But I have a feeling Bryan gets the gag. Like I said, lighten up, say something funny, don’t be so mean. It is just a game.

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 2:19 PM

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 1:16 PM

Be careful Grampa Simpson.

SouthernDem on September 27, 2007 at 2:22 PM

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 2:19 PM

I’m not being mean. Sincerely.

Csdeven has called everyone who plays games a shut in. Bryan falls into that category.

Esthier on September 27, 2007 at 2:22 PM

golf clap for the end of old hollywood

wordwarp on September 27, 2007 at 2:14 AM

Yep. Hollywood is caught in a vicious circle of self-aggrandizing award ceremonies for mediocre performances and movies that promote its point of view, which is increasingly irrelevant to the general public. Sorry, I’m just not into “queer theory” and gay themes. I did love “300″ though.

PRCalDude on September 27, 2007 at 2:25 PM

…so where are the smarmy, self-righteous insults on this forum directed at gamblers?

ScottMcC on September 27, 2007 at 2:01 PM

Ummm, maybe, and this is just a guess, but no mention of gamblers because this is a post about Halo 3, and you were the first to mention gamblers in the past 4 hours?
And I think, without too much understanding, that when people mention internet and computer gaming, they are including all of the inane games that suck up time…just a guess tho.
Why, do you gamble online? Do you like Texas hold’em or stud. Probably not stud…if you know what I mean. However, it is estimated that 8% of the men prefer stud, so maybe you are a stud player…if you know what I mean.

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 2:27 PM

Esthier on September 27, 2007 at 2:22 PM

Maybe, and I am feeling a little fiesty today, cdseven is angry about shut-ins, because he has been shut-out.

I know a little about cdseven, and when he gets angry about something (like Fred?), I think he really is just frustrated about not being a part of something BIG. You know he really wants to sit down and play those games…but darn it, he has to mow the lawn, go to work, he has all of those stupid adult responsibilities…and he is angry. He wants to be a “gamer”. Damn responsibilities, always getting in the way.

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 2:34 PM

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 2:34 PM

So, he is so blinded by his anger of being a responsibility martyr that when another adult with as many, or more responsibilities is able to enjoy a little gaming on the side he just can’t fathom it?

Now I get it. Poor time management.

ej_pez on September 27, 2007 at 2:49 PM