Halo 3: First day sales hit $170 million

posted at 9:42 pm on September 26, 2007 by Bryan

To put that $170 million into perspective, Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace was arguably the most anticipated movie of the last 30 years, if not in the entire history of the film industry. Its first-day take: $28.5 million.

$170 million.
$28.5 million.

Revenge of the Sith would go on to shatter TPM’s first-day total to rake in about $50 million. Which is less than a third of what Halo 3 took in. Halo 3 also beat Spider-Man 3′s record of $150 million on the first day.

Besides the money, there’s the fan base. In its first day, Halo 3 has 1.2 million online users who have already killed off something like half a billion baddies in the game. The usage map spans the globe.

Halo is the new king of all entertainment. And I’ve never played a single minute of Halo, ever. What am I missing?

*Correction: The $150 million for Spider-Man 3 is a 3-day total.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

yep. video gaming as an industry now dwarfs Hollywood, IIRC.

Have you not played the Halo series, that you don’t know what you’re missing, Bryan?

TexasDan on September 26, 2007 at 9:45 PM

Oh duh. Skipped the last line.

TexasDan on September 26, 2007 at 9:45 PM

This really is the death of the grown-up.

jihadwatcher on September 26, 2007 at 9:48 PM

What, just because I don’t read thoroughly?

TexasDan on September 26, 2007 at 9:49 PM

jihadwatcher on September 26, 2007 at 9:48 PM

I am actually going to disagree with you on that. Games tend to provoke more thought and are much more interactive than movies. Most mass entertainment is a passive experience, but games aren’t. Puzzle-solving games strike me as being a good way to teach kids independent and critical thinking. Games aren’t 100% positive, nothing is, but they’re not just for kids and they’re not 100% negative either.

Bryan on September 26, 2007 at 9:52 PM

This really is the death of the grown-up.

jihadwatcher on September 26, 2007 at 9:48 PM

Hey, I resemble that remark!

Kini on September 26, 2007 at 9:54 PM

Isn’t the price of Halo more than the price of a movie ticket? That would account for a greater gross.

hadsil on September 26, 2007 at 9:56 PM

Oh great. Does this mean we’ll have the likes of Sean Penn & Kevin Spacey in upcoming games based on war?
What will they be called?
Halo 4 : Platoon Guilt Trip
Vanguard 2 : Your Inner Child
W.O.W. : It Takes A Pillage

Coronagold on September 26, 2007 at 9:56 PM

This really is the death of the grown-up.

I prefer to think of video games as the “relaxation time” of the grown-up.

Especially the grown up with a toddler.

Slublog on September 26, 2007 at 9:57 PM

Puzzle solving games are good. But these FPS games are just crack cocaine for the senses. The fact that these games are played by adults is the salient point of my remark.

jihadwatcher on September 26, 2007 at 9:58 PM

As a Nintendo fan, I’m eagerly anticipating the “big three” Wii games coming up through the end of the year: Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, Super Mario Galaxy, and Super Smash Brothers Brawl. ^_^

American_Pride1701 on September 26, 2007 at 10:00 PM

But these FPS games are just crack cocaine for the senses.

Which is awesome.

Slublog on September 26, 2007 at 10:01 PM

Uh jihadwatcher … You’ve never played BioShock, Thief 1 or 2, System Shock 1 or 2, or Deus Ex Machina, I take it. So, a step down from those, any of the Splinter Cells? Not to mention the strategy games which can also be incredibly fast paced and as equally intense as a first person shooter.

The idea that games, even first person shooters, are mindless, have no redemptive qualities, don’t engage your brain, aren’t for adults, etc etc etc, is not only old hat, it was pretty much killed off like ten years ago. You’re going to find a lot of counter examples to what you claim. We’ve come a long way since Doom.

And yeah Bryan, you’re missing some pretty good story telling, and some fantastic co-op play. But I wouldn’t play the past games for it (it’s not THAT good :P) I’d just read up on the story line and use the 3rd as a jumping off point. Co-op in Halo has always been amazing, and from what I’ve heard, it’s fantastic in Halo 3.

apollyonbob on September 26, 2007 at 10:03 PM

I’ve never played either but my nephew has Halo loaded it on this computer (better graphics than his laptop). He loves it.

Zorro on September 26, 2007 at 10:05 PM

I sent my brother on a mission to get me Halo 3 yesterday.

The game looks and plays beautifully.. i love it!

I am a 32 y/o kuffarophile italian-american male and screw any of you sanctimonious bores if you don’t like it :)

VinceP1974 on September 26, 2007 at 10:05 PM

jihadwatcher on September 26, 2007 at 9:58 PM

As a gamer and an adult, I strongly disagree. What’s wrong with an adult playing it? Do you think someone that watches action movies isn’t an adult? It’s fun and challenging and sometimes very strategic and thought provoking. Please don’t go all Jack Thompson on us.

Number 2 on September 26, 2007 at 10:06 PM

Price of a movie ticket = $10
Price of Halo 3 = $60

To put it into perspective, if Halo 3′s gross was $170 million, you can compare it to Phantom Menance by dividing that number by 6, which equals $28.3 million. Just a tad below $28.5 mil for the Phanton Menance’s one day total.

Hmmmm.

Its Tommy on September 26, 2007 at 10:06 PM

Yawn.

Bob's Kid on September 26, 2007 at 10:08 PM

“Star Wars Episode IV: The Phantom Menace:

*ahem*

Episode I, bro.

Hawkins1701 on September 26, 2007 at 10:08 PM

Hawkins1701 on September 26, 2007 at 10:08 PM

Duh. Frickin Roman numerals.

Bryan on September 26, 2007 at 10:11 PM

I’m a Monkey Ball man myself…..

bbz123 on September 26, 2007 at 10:14 PM

Price of a movie ticket = $10
Price of Halo 3 = $60

To put it into perspective, if Halo 3’s gross was $170 million, you can compare it to Phantom Menance by dividing that number by 6, which equals $28.3 million. Just a tad below $28.5 mil for the Phanton Menance’s one day total.

Hmmmm.

Its Tommy on September 26, 2007 at 10:06 PM

I was thinking a similar thing. It might be more apt to compare “users”. How many saw TPM, and how many purchased H3? I could be wrong though.

However – that is still one heck of a take. It makes me want to buy an XBox, and the game.

nailinmyeye on September 26, 2007 at 10:14 PM

$170M??? We are in a new era, my friends. It’s almost as if…

You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike.

Anton on September 26, 2007 at 10:15 PM

There are many young adults on this blog that prove Diana West was right. They grew up with video games, like Galaga in the arcades, but never really gave up that part of their childhood because the games became ever more detailed to keep their attention as they aged.

Hopefully by the time most of you hit 35, you will have outgrown video games and found real life more engaging. As if the internet wasn’t addictive and time-consuming enough, we now have video gaming to remove us from the reality around us even more. Then add to that online gaming, a combination of internet and video gaming, and many adults, mostly single men, never leave their rooms except to go to work.

jihadwatcher on September 26, 2007 at 10:20 PM

Well looks like it will be alien K!ll!ng time,
and my Conflict Desert Storm will have a temporary
ceasefire.Haha

canopfor on September 26, 2007 at 10:20 PM

Frickin Roman numerals.

My keyboard doesn’t have Roman numerals…

Anyway, HALO is a great game…played it on a friends XBox, But I’ve been a Playstation fan too long to get an XBox.

Still, to me, the best video game series is Splinter Cell…

JetBoy on September 26, 2007 at 10:21 PM

Price of a movie ticket = $10
Price of Halo 3 = $60

But it shows the dedication of those fans to spend 6x as much cash on a source of entertainment. New era indeed. Master Chief in ’08? Anyone? Anyone?

longshanks on September 26, 2007 at 10:24 PM

jihadwatcher on September 26, 2007 at 9:58 PM

To the list above, i’ll add team play in games like Call of Duty. It takes good strategy and playing as a unit to be competive in the online leagues. Team gamers also use the voice headsets to play, so we’re not only playing with other real people, we’re talking to them. If anything it’s redeeming the ground lost to TV sitcoms.

TexasDan on September 26, 2007 at 10:24 PM

If you want to look at this as a business profit center, you have to figure in what the cost was to make the movie, and what the cost is to produce a game. There lies the rub.

Hening on September 26, 2007 at 10:25 PM

and it is SOOOOO much fun to play
Halo is the new crack

Defector01 on September 26, 2007 at 10:26 PM

hadsil on September 26, 2007 at 9:56 PM

That is it in a nutshell.

Halo 3 retails for $60

Movie last week $9.50 (for an adult)

If you factor in the difference in price (The movie is roughly 4/25th cheaper).

Halo 3

If it sold for $9.50 gross would be $26,911,000.

Still very impressive for a video game.

I am waiting for a Halo 3 vs Mario Kart vs Smash Bros comparison.

F15Mech on September 26, 2007 at 10:26 PM

Bryan–

You are missing:

–Single player, An excellent story. You have the best case of AI presented in a videogame.

–Probably the best multiplayer experience you can ever have.

COD 4 will also be great.

JVelez on September 26, 2007 at 10:28 PM

Have you given up movies? Or music? Because I’d wager that either your parents, or grandparents thought the same thing about them that you do about video games.

Number 2 on September 26, 2007 at 10:31 PM

I’m not sure that I buy the straight ticket price comparison. The fact is, committing $60 versus $9.50 tells me that there’s more intensity for Halo 3 than for TPM among the fans. Or put another way, would you plunk down $60 for any movie nowadays? Yet gamers routinely fork over $60 for a game now. And they’ll spend more time with the game than with any movie.

As for what it cost to produce Halo 3, according to this site, it cost about $60 million to produce and market. Spider-Man 3 cost $400 million just to produce and get to theaters.

Bryan on September 26, 2007 at 10:34 PM

So, one assumes microsoft has or is rapidly making up for the loss they took on the sale of the 360?

TexasDan on September 26, 2007 at 10:35 PM

Bought my copy last night baby. Didn’t even have to wait in line!

msipes on September 26, 2007 at 10:36 PM

they will make a slight profit only because the extended warranty deal set them back

JVelez on September 26, 2007 at 10:37 PM

I haven’t played Halo. I’m too cheap to buy the necessary hardware, and have never been very interested in FPS. But I have been around games for a while. I’ve seen some really interesting evolution in the art over the years.

The first text-based games were exercise in abstract thinking and puzzle-solving. The target demographic, besides computer nerds, included the kinds of people who enjoy solving cryptograms in their spare time. The games were considered highly intellectual fare.

The home-based console changed all that. They were (inexcusably for some) a great deal of mindless fun. Pong. Hockey. Duck-hunting. The “old guard” of text-based game companies sniffed, “Our graphics are in your head” before they went out of business.

I never got involved in the first generation of Nintendo or Atari home-based consoles. But I distinctly remember playing the Super NES version of Mario Brothers (and being soundly defeated by my buddy’s seven-year-old son). The deceptively simple concept included a lot of tricky spatial puzzles. I thought it was a great way of teaching kids linear problem solving. Still is.

My next “wow!” moment came when I got hooked on Myst and Riven on the PC. Here was a deeply immersive narrative combined with gorgeous artwork and tricky puzzles. It was and is literature. It tells a story. It’s a strange little sci-fi story, but it’s definitely a narrative.

We used to memorize baseball cards and the player stats printed on the backs; but boys these days memorize all 400+ Pokemon, including their attack and defense stats, their types, and their region. From what I can see, the positive effect on mathematical reasoning and memory capacity is the same.

So, yes: the sales figures for Halo 3 indicate something important, as Bryan notes.

Anton on September 26, 2007 at 10:42 PM

$170 Million?

I’m in the wrong business.

Lawrence on September 26, 2007 at 10:47 PM

Brain dead idiots wasting their lives away living in a pretend world.

Brilliant!

csdeven on September 26, 2007 at 10:47 PM

jihadwatcher on September 26, 2007 at 10:20 PM

You’re a bold one to basically assume so many things about people you don’t know. I rather play a video game than be a know-nothing psychic. Talk about people-skills. sheesh

VinceP1974 on September 26, 2007 at 10:48 PM

Brain dead idiots wasting their lives away living in a pretend world.

Brilliant!

csdeven on September 26, 2007 at 10:47 PM

What does this say about all the time we spend here at Hot Air?

Lawrence on September 26, 2007 at 10:49 PM

jihadwatcher on September 26, 2007 at 10:20 PM

As in everything, balance is the key. You’ve got to get kids out and throw the football or kick the soccer ball when they spend too much time on their butts.

Yes, online substitutes are no replacement for a real life. So what? Video games, considered as literature, aren’t as profound (yet) as Homer or Milton. All true.

But you could really lighten up.

Anton on September 26, 2007 at 10:50 PM

Reminds me of that episode of “Star Trek: TNG” where the whole ship was distracted by a game while the ship was being taken over. I had never heard of HALO until I was in BestBuy today. I haven’t played a video game since Mario Brothers was on Nintendo.

SouthernGent on September 26, 2007 at 10:51 PM

Gaming went beyond my computer capacity with Quake 3 (or was it Doom 3?). Whichever, it needed more graphics power than my computer had.

Now, I’ll stick with shooting a compound bow at 18 to 28 yards in the back yard during weeknights and getting some land ready for deer and turkey season on the weekends – feeders, game cameras, stands, ground blinds, planting trees, fixing fence, etc… oh, and pig hunting 24/7 all year round.

BowHuntingTexas on September 26, 2007 at 10:53 PM

I’m still waiting for my preorder copy to arrive in the mail. Found a deal and was able to get it for only $40.

I’m hating the wait though as most of my gaming friends already have it and have tore through the single-player portion already.

Queasy on September 26, 2007 at 10:59 PM

Bryan on September 26, 2007 at 10:34 PM

Ah, but you can play the game hundreds of times for the same cost, vs see the movie only once (at the theater). So if the average player plays the game 100 times, that works out to 60 cents per experience, vs about $10 for the movie, making the movie almost 17 times more expensive when viewed from a per use perspective. So your bang for your sixty bugs is vastly greater than your bang for the ten bucks. (Assuming the game and the movie are both top quality experiences).

It might be more interesting to compare it with DVD sales, since DVDs also offer multi-use incentives. The problem with that though, is that some people will never buy a DVD but will see the movie in a theater, so DVD sales may not measure the excitement surrounding a movie.

Herikutsu on September 26, 2007 at 11:02 PM

That kind of money doesn’t come from a narrow band of pajama-clad basement dwellers. Adults playing video games aren’t so much a sign of the death of the adult as the maturation of tech-savvy kids. Most adult video gamers have hard-core jobs and other hard-core interests. Play on, Gamers!

JEFF_IN_NC on September 26, 2007 at 11:09 PM

Much like the misunderestimation of bloggers 5 years ago if we remember correctly…

JEFF_IN_NC on September 26, 2007 at 11:11 PM

jihadwatcher on September 26, 2007 at 10:20 PM

Growing up on video games I feel has prepared me for the fast action of the daily market. Wall street is the ultimate video game if you follow and trade by using charts. During a normal day I have about 10 charts up, cnbc on, monitoring my profit and loss on a minute by minute basis, doing quick reading on breaking news and at times posting on hotair.

There is no way I would be able to handle and process this volume of information if I did not grow up playing fast action video games.

I do not play much anyomore but my son enjoys video games and has finished Halo 3. He says it is one of the best he has played. From looking at some of the gameplay the graphics are great and what little of the story line I have been able to see looks great also. Now with all the multiplayer action that he will play with Halo 3 the cost per hour of entertainment will be about $.01 over the life of the game.

Knowing all this I was making money today from trading shares of gamestop, microsoft, activision, and electronic arts. Video games like anything else in life is what you make out of them.

unseen on September 26, 2007 at 11:18 PM

Xbox live is having issues, that must be one helluva game.

Neo on September 26, 2007 at 11:20 PM

Neo on September 26, 2007 at 11:20 PM

Microsoft said 1.2 million gamers where online yesterday.

unseen on September 26, 2007 at 11:23 PM

I have never put any of my money into a slot machine and pull a lever for hours at a time at an Indian casino… but I wouldn’t call those people idiots for spending their time and money on a stupid fantasy.

ScottMcC on September 26, 2007 at 11:24 PM

Microsoft said 1.2 million gamers where online yesterday.

Yes there was a server overlead yesterday. I couldnt play online for a few hrs

JVelez on September 26, 2007 at 11:28 PM

correction…overload

JVelez on September 26, 2007 at 11:28 PM

So I guess it beats Pong? Hard to believe it all started there…

ProudPatriot on September 26, 2007 at 11:31 PM

By the way…check THIS OUT over at ebay…kinda cool, an XBox signed by Bill Gates with Halo3 bundle.

It’s up to $8,600 as of 11:30 EST…

JetBoy on September 26, 2007 at 11:32 PM

I see a few Jack Thompsons on this thread…

Bad Candy on September 26, 2007 at 11:35 PM

LMAO….I wanted to say that but I wouldnt know if people know who he is….

JVelez on September 26, 2007 at 11:38 PM

Bad Candy on September 26, 2007 at 11:35 PM

I’m a firm believer that sex, bad language and violence in video games, movies, the radio and print has no effect on people.

The biggest influence on children is the parent. If the parent takes the time to explain what is real and what isn’t the “problem” never comes up. Liberalism has been the cause of more sex and violence than video games ever will.

unseen on September 26, 2007 at 11:43 PM

My heros used to be cowboys, until Brokeback Mountain. There used to be people in professional sports you could look too, but now most of them are only a stone throw from being like Micheal Vick. Though most of us admire our law enforcement and fire department folks, none really stand out, unless we know them. The last time I admired a president was Ronald Reagan, and there is certainly no one in Hollywood these days that is worth respecting. So, out youth now only has fictional characters to relate too. Spiderman, Laura Croft, Mario, and of course, the greatest legend of them all, Master Chief.

This might help a few folks get perspective on the power of the latest computer games:

Wuptdo on September 26, 2007 at 11:47 PM

Coronagold on September 26, 2007 at 9:56 PM

Great comment.

My middle school students tell me Halo is better than my old favorite, Starcraft. (I’m waiting for Starcraft II.) All I have to do now is convince my wife of the “necessity” of buying it.

Mojave Mark on September 26, 2007 at 11:50 PM

Meet the engineer.

TexasDan on September 26, 2007 at 11:50 PM

unseen on September 26, 2007 at 11:43 PM

I’m not talking to you, I’m goofing on the people whining about those durned video games.

Bad Candy on September 26, 2007 at 11:56 PM

These two videos are trailers for Halo 3, using the game engine for all its graphics.

the first one sets the mood of the game’s plot . At the end of Halo 2, the AI lady was left on the enemy’s home city while the Master Chief raced to earth. He’s watching as the enemy ships find what they’re looking for on Earth and activate a device which will destroy the galaxy.

this second shows a lot of game play

VinceP1974 on September 26, 2007 at 11:57 PM

I’m not really a Halo fan. There are a few shooter games I like, like Max Payne and Unreal Tournament. I’m more into Japanese RPGs myself.

Oh yea, and World of Warcraft… I need to level my Horde characters more, LOL.

Dark Fox on September 27, 2007 at 12:06 AM

Bad Candy on September 26, 2007 at 11:56 PM

I know I was saying I agree with you.Sorry wasn’t clear. But all those people that think video games are the bane of civilization need to put down their club, drop their stone and flint and come out of their spacious caves into the real world.

unseen on September 27, 2007 at 12:07 AM

My son has been waiting impatiently for Halo 3 for months.

So this last Sunday his X-Box 360 biffs it…just freezes up and displays what he calls “the red ring of death” showing that there is a malfunction on the system.

At least a 4 week wait for a repair.

Well he bought Halo 3 anyway to sit and look at the package, I guess.

The 8 year old sister gets home today, plugs it in, turns it on and as she puts it “I patted it 7 times and tapped my fingernails on it 8 times”

Now it works???!!! *he says something about answered prayers…yes he did pray.

…He’s been playing ever since…..loves it.

jjjen on September 27, 2007 at 12:11 AM

jjjen on September 27, 2007 at 12:11 AM

Yeah my sons got the same thing. worked for a while after but then it bought the dust a final time. I went and bought another from walmart. Their 90 day return policy should be just the ticket for the 4 week wait for repairs.

unseen on September 27, 2007 at 12:17 AM

I dropped 500 bucks on an XBox 360 and this game, plus an XBox cable that didnt come included and one other 360 game. And I’m probably shelling out another 600+ for a new TV to play it on. This dumb game has me over 1k in the hole ;)

It’s really good though!

Dash on September 27, 2007 at 12:29 AM

FEAR and Half-Life are better series, Halo is weak by comparison.

Tim Burton on September 27, 2007 at 12:36 AM

I’ve only played the first Halo. Does this make me a loser? =(

ZK on September 27, 2007 at 12:37 AM

Meh. Halo 3 was made for people that don’t have the skills to play TF2. :P

Benaiah on September 27, 2007 at 12:37 AM

Meh. Halo fanboys think they invented online gaming. I remember during the peak of WON (World Opponent Network) usage (that’d be Half-Life, Counterstrike, and other mods for HL) around 2000 there were about half a million people on. 7 years ago. And I personally was playing Doom online in 1994, Quake in 1995. It’s not new. And FPS’s suck on consoles anyway. The controls are out of whack. Mouselook/keyboard is the only way to go.

FEAR and Half-Life are better series, Halo is weak by comparison.

Half-Life 2 rules like no other.

Meh. Halo 3 was made for people that don’t have the skills to play TF2. :P

And TF2 was made for people who can’t play Counterstrike. :)

…disclaimer….I suck at CS, but give props to the guys who can play it well. Now…get me in a game of Day of Defeat, or Opposing Force, and I will destroy you.

otcconan on September 27, 2007 at 12:50 AM

The Halo trilogy is about mankind’s military struggle against a massive group of alien religious extremists, called the Covenant, lead by “prophets,” whose goal is to wipe out all heretics and apostates to their religion from the universe. Along the way, the Covenant attempt to fulfill the prophecies of their religion, which would wipe out all life from the universe, and unleash “the flood,” an ancient intelligent parasite that violently assimilates all sentient life.

I mean, how hard is it? I know – laser guns and midget aliens with high pitched voices can be distracting, but beneath that, the good guys are marines, the bad guys are genocidal religious zealots. If Mahmoud’s masters had half a brain cell left that could interpret an allegory even this ham fisted, there would be a fatwah on Bungie Studios.

Savage on September 27, 2007 at 12:51 AM

And TF2 was made for people who can’t play Counterstrike. :)

otcconan

Meh. I played CS for quite a while and got bored with it.

Benaiah on September 27, 2007 at 12:58 AM

Mojave Mark on September 26, 2007 at 11:50 PM

Your middle school students probably haven’t taken the time to compare, or have an insatiable love for the first person shooter. Starcraft has a much better story than Halo, and in my opinion much better gameplay. There’s a lot more thought in Starcraft than was put in Halo.

If I mention the pistol to anyone who played Halo 2 they’ll get what I mean.

FEAR and Half-Life are better series, Halo is weak by comparison.

Tim Burton on September 27, 2007 at 12:36 AM

I’m not the kind of guy for a first person shooter. I prefer puzzle games, real time strategy games, and role playing games. However I have to agree with this. Halo is a relatively weak first person shooter. I can’t comment on Halo 3, having yet played it, and I’m hoping it fixes the numerous errors of its forbearers. But Half Life is such a brilliantly concieved first person shooter, all the way around.

The weapons make sense, the graphics always come out amazingly, the gameplay is superb, and they are probably one of the best storytelling games in gaming. There’s no cutscenes in a Half Life game, it’s all told while IN GAME, which is something I think that more games need to do.

Halo is like a Michael Bay blockbuster for gaming. There’s not really much to it but people buy it anyway and love it.

Keljeck on September 27, 2007 at 1:10 AM

Being in ones 30′s and playing video games does not make one a room dweller or oxygen thief, just like reading Don Quixote does not make one a Knight errant. I’m 35, have an Xbox 360 and bought Halo 3. I’ve played it for a total of 30 mintues over the past two days. I also read good literature, mountain bike, run, interact with women and listen to classical music. But unfortuntately I know where he’s coming from, some people are just plain geeky!

gator70 on September 27, 2007 at 1:19 AM

Lawrence on September 26, 2007 at 10:49 PM

Do you get NOTHING from your time here? I always come away with new knowledge that I didn’t have when I got here. I wouldn’t compare that to learning the latest series of button combinations that allow you to interact with electronic images that don’t exist in reality.

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 1:23 AM

While it’s downright fascist that Jack Thompson and his kind are trying to stop people from enjoying their hobby, it’s merely stupid to criticize how other people choose to spend their well deserved free time and their hard earned money.

Savage on September 27, 2007 at 1:38 AM

To anyone criticizing people for computer gaming:
- Watch a few episodes of “Futureweapons” on the military channel. The military is bringing on line many new weapon systems that are remote control, and the controls and interfaces look a hell of a lot like games. Airborne drones, armed search and destroy robots and more.
-Watch the surgery channel. Microsurgery is a growing phenomena. Again, the controls and interfaces resemble games. Come to think of it, a surgery game would be awesome! Trauma comes in, you need to assess, get vitals, and then intervene correctly. What a great way it would be to teach anatomy!

I’m sure you all can think of many other examples of real world applications of gaming skills. And I would love to hear them.

redshirt on September 27, 2007 at 1:53 AM

Have you heard of Nintendo’s Trauma Center series (for NDS and Wii)? True, it is not realistic, but it is the closest thing I can come up with. ^_^

Dark Fox on September 27, 2007 at 2:05 AM

gator70

To go even further, online gaming, especially with Halo games, teaches social skills, cooperation, quick reaction thinking, hand eye cordination, and quick planning.

I’m near my mid-30′s, and in the military. I see guys playing this stuff and incorporating their infantry and SPECOPS skills (as i have as well) into the game to win team battles online. I love Capture the Flag and Slayer!

It promotes some learning in both kids and adults. But yet it hardly takes a small part of my miniscule free time.

I am now thinking of buying an X-box 360 since playing Halo2, 2 times on my last deployment, at an MWR tent. Besides you can do so much more than gaming!

*Advertising mode off*

I feel dumb for asking this: who the heck is Jack Thompson?

El Guapo on September 27, 2007 at 2:08 AM

golf clap for the end of old hollywood

wordwarp on September 27, 2007 at 2:14 AM

There’s also a live-action/CGI short film based on Halo airing on the Discovery Channel October 4th after the “Last One Standing” premiere. You can view a clip of the Halo Short HERE on the Discovery Website. *Enter your Date of Birth (17 or older) on the face page then click Submit to view it… it’s actually pretty decent for a short. DISCLAIMER: Lots of Violence, of course, it’s Master Chief and the USNC vs. The Covenant!

I bought the Legendary Edition for my 14-yo son. He and I played the first Halo co-op and beat it back when he was about 7-years old, then we beat Halo 2 in co-op, so it stood to reason we’d have to get Halo 3 and beat it co-op too. It’s fun, and it’s especially fun playing it with my son. He’s been the “Squad Leader” of our co-op playing every time. I especially enjoyed how he much he loved being “in charge” of me each and every time, making thoughtful and tactical decisions, barking orders, beating me down before bringing me back up… because I suck at console video games and in his own way he drives me to do better by laughing at me and calling me “newbie” all the time. He’s a natural born leader, and he kicks my hind end in every video game we’ve played together, except Poker. LoL.

I spoil him, but he earns it. He works hard and does well at school, and he has a very kind and honorable soul. Despite the fact that he’s definitely a “gamer”, he’s alotted only so much time to play (plus he’s playing on his high school’s frosh football team so he has very little free time nowadays anyway… Go Norsemen!), and I monitor his activities online from the wings whether it’s Xbox360 online gaming or on the internet.

It’s just a fun game Bryan, if you enjoy FPS (First Person Shooter) games.

By The Way… if anyone’s interested, there’s a big-screen movie production of Halo coming. It’s being filmed in New Zealand and is being produced by Peter Jackson (Lord of the Rings trilogy, King Kong, etc). Universal paid $10 Million for the script and rights from Microsoft. Fox bought the filming rights. Due out to theaters in 2009.

;`)

SilverStar830 on September 27, 2007 at 2:24 AM

I feel dumb for asking this: who the heck is Jack Thompson?

Remember when 2 Live Crue got sued? He’s the guy who sued them. He’s since redirected his focus to video games.

The guy is insane. Wiki him to see is bizarre exploits.

Keljeck on September 27, 2007 at 2:25 AM

I feel dumb for asking this: who the heck is Jack Thompson?

It’s 1:24 AM and I’m too lazy to tell the tale so Wiki is my friend when I’m lazy…

Dark Fox on September 27, 2007 at 2:26 AM

Jack Thompson is a lawyer in Florida who is trying to get mature games – that is, games made for an adult audience, like Halo – banned from retail stores.

He literally blamed the tragedy of Columbine on Doom, and got a lot of media attention for it. He also tried to blame the Virginia Tech shootings on CounterStrike, but that didn’t pan out as well for him.

Savage on September 27, 2007 at 2:27 AM

Brain dead idiots wasting their lives away living in a pretend world.

Brilliant!

csdeven on September 26, 2007 at 10:47 PM

“Brain dead idiots”? Because they play video games?

My son’s been a 3.5 – 4.0 gpa student and an athlete since Kindergarten. I have a successful rewarding career that is faaar from being suitable for “brain dead idiots”.

We both play video games as a hobby and have for a many years.

You presume too much. But I don’t blame you, ignorance is bliss.

SilverStar830 on September 27, 2007 at 2:36 AM

He literally blamed the tragedy of Columbine on Doom

what an idiot! didnt the note left behind directly blame the bullies of that school? That is just as dumb as blaming the gun instead of the gang life that lead to the crime!

anyhooo now i know.

SilverStar830
Sounds like you have a good bond with your son. Be sure to compliment him when his “in-charge” decisions pay off(Buti am sure that goes without saying though).

El Guapo on September 27, 2007 at 2:36 AM

SilverStar830 on September 27, 2007 at 2:24 AM

That’s the way to be a gamer dad! Go Norsemen, indeed.

Sadly, the film is on hold. Jackson is still producing some shorts with WETA, but Fox pulled the funding on the movie because they didn’t like the director Jackson had chosen. D:

Savage on September 27, 2007 at 2:39 AM

El Guapo on September 27, 2007 at 2:08 AM

Salute!

Used to Play WWII online with a bunch of X military types…

Between us we could talk anything from Close Air support tactics, to Armor… to Infantry… and especialy combined arms…

Romeo13 on September 27, 2007 at 2:39 AM

SilverStar830

dont be offended by typical liberal cheapshots.

Brain dead idiots wasting their lives away living in a pretend world.

Brilliant!

csdeven on September 26, 2007 at 10:47 PM

Isnt that what libs like Mike Moore, Hollywood, Daily Kos, and MoveOn.org do by claiming there is no terrorist threat?

That is about as smart as not investigating the “check engine light” just because you cant immediately hear anything wrong.

El Guapo on September 27, 2007 at 2:41 AM

Heh….Halo is fun for a while, but now I find myself
falling a sleep in the middle of game play.

I am really waiting for Grand Turismo 5 and Call of duty 4

anyway..

dec5 on September 27, 2007 at 2:42 AM

Romeo13

Dude! i’m telling you! This stuff involves planning, coordinating moves, and changing them accordingly as the game progeresses. More like playing football or going paintballing in real life (minus the pain unfortunately) than playing Frogger or Dig Dug.

This is why i think it is so popular with military types, even us older ones

El Guapo on September 27, 2007 at 2:45 AM

I’d suggest the haters try Alpha Centauri, Age of Empires, any of the Command & Conquer series or even Advance Wars: Dual Strike(a bit cartoonish, but still challenging), they take some solid strategery.

Bad Candy on September 27, 2007 at 3:18 AM

I can’t believe no one has mentioned the awesomeness of Okami!

Did you ever play Age of Mythology? Mythology + RTS = Win.

Dark Fox on September 27, 2007 at 3:47 AM

Starcraft is practically the official sport of South Korea.

I hear they even have a station that plays Starcraft games like they’re football games. And talk about strategies and such.

Keljeck on September 27, 2007 at 4:27 AM