Halo 3: First day sales hit $170 million

posted at 9:42 pm on September 26, 2007 by Bryan

To put that $170 million into perspective, Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace was arguably the most anticipated movie of the last 30 years, if not in the entire history of the film industry. Its first-day take: $28.5 million.

$170 million.
$28.5 million.

Revenge of the Sith would go on to shatter TPM’s first-day total to rake in about $50 million. Which is less than a third of what Halo 3 took in. Halo 3 also beat Spider-Man 3′s record of $150 million on the first day.

Besides the money, there’s the fan base. In its first day, Halo 3 has 1.2 million online users who have already killed off something like half a billion baddies in the game. The usage map spans the globe.

Halo is the new king of all entertainment. And I’ve never played a single minute of Halo, ever. What am I missing?

*Correction: The $150 million for Spider-Man 3 is a 3-day total.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Damn responsibilities, always getting in the way.

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 2:34 PM

And yet you feel the need to throw backwards comments in there.

If he, or anyone for that matter, can sit here for hours (and I know he frequently does), than his responsibilities allow him the same amount of free time gamers spend on games.

Believe it or not, right2bright, I have adult responsibilities too. Imagine that. I’m organized enough to go to work, clean my house, work out and STILL have time to play a game. Then again, maybe I’m the only one. Maybe all the other gamers out there are children who live in their parents’ basement and don’t have adult responsibilities.

Esthier on September 27, 2007 at 2:50 PM

Now I get it. Poor time management.

ej_pez on September 27, 2007 at 2:49 PM

Exactly. Someone should buy him a planner.

Esthier on September 27, 2007 at 2:51 PM

Why, do you gamble online?
right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 2:27 PM

I don’t gamble because–as Michael Medved often says–it’s a tax on stupid people.

Gee, you must be feeling taxed right about now.

ScottMcC on September 27, 2007 at 3:02 PM

3. You do realize that you’re also talking about Bryan here, don’t you?
Esthier on September 27, 2007 at 1:54 PM

Do you see Bryan having a conniption fit? No, because he knows how to keep the video game play down to a minimum and he realizes I am not referring to him when I talk about shut ins.

Only a shut in or a silly person would get defensive at what I wrote. If you aren’t a shut in, why have a fit?

Relax you guys, it’s a little tongue in cheek teasing.

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 3:09 PM

200th comment? Hooray!

GUYS, IT’S JUST A GAME. Yeah, I know that. I wish you did too.

I’d like to dedicate the above quote to everyone who plays golf. Golf: Destroyer of Civilizations.

saint kansas on September 27, 2007 at 3:12 PM

Be careful Grampa Simpson.

SouthernDem on September 27, 2007 at 2:22 PM

Big deal! When I was a pup, we got spanked by presidents ’til the cows came home! Grover Cleveland spanked me on two non-consecutive occasions!

hee hee hee…

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 3:12 PM

But I have a feeling Bryan gets the gag.
right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 2:19 PM

I love it when they try to pull the absolute moral authority card by trying to silence people with the old…..

Well MM this and

Bryan that and

Allah thinks this….

crapola. Jeeze! The three of them are old enough and mature enough to speak up if they have something to say.

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 3:15 PM

Esthier on September 27, 2007 at 2:50 PM

Lighten up, have some fun. Let’s see you pulled out the Bryan card, and I made fun of that. I didn’t see Bryan jumping up and down.
We have a ton of serious issues we deal with on HA, this is not one of them.
You guys are way to serious about this, I am just sitting here doing some work and making foolish posts, and you are getting all upset.

Relax, it is funny, that you take it so serious. Everyone has their own past time. Some walk around a green lawn and hit a little white ball into a hole several hundred yards away…as if. Some waste time by catching a fish, and then releasing it…that makes sense. Some waste time posting on HA, others aren’t wasting time, but say some really interesting things. This post is not for them. Some people drink beer and try to sing, others just drink beer. All of them are a waste of time for someone who does not partake in the activity. But each one is valid to the individual. I happen to play tennis, a lot of tennis, wearing shorts at my age, chasing a ball for a couple of hours every day is pretty funny looking…and a waste of time (and money) for some who do not have those couple of hours a day to waste on a court.
A great way to relax is getting in front of the computer and play games (I don’t, so I make fun of it), my kids laugh at me trying to become the next Federer, and they do a pretty funny imitation of me on the court.
But the stereotype of a gamer who for 12 hours straight is trying to save the universe is a pretty funny image. White, pasty faced, eating french fries with their mouth open, drinking a large coke from McD’s, unshaven, blogging, streaming…whoops back to Bryan again.
C’mon, defending gamers, like most of you have, is pretty darn funny. At least it was amusing to me, and I am all alone in a basement…is it light yet? What day is it?

Relax, this is a fun post…Halo 3 is just a game…or is it?

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 3:19 PM

Hello shut ins? Wake up.

Wasting away in your PJ’s in the house playing with imaginary characters is NOT equal to blogging on HA where we get to talk to real people and real this in the real world.

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 3:20 PM

Gee, you must be feeling taxed right about now.

ScottMcC on September 27, 2007 at 3:02 PM

That’s what I am talking about, a little levity…it was a joke wasn’t it?…you little stud.

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 3:22 PM

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 2:19 PM

You’re banned!!!!!!!!

Bryan on September 27, 2007 at 3:25 PM

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 3:15 PM

cds gets it, he has been on the receiving end of this a couple of times.
He will acknowledge, this is a serious flaw in my character.

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 3:26 PM

Bryan on September 27, 2007 at 3:25 PM

NOOOOooooooooo! I am sorry, you look great, like a real stud, whoops, like a major league playa. I was talking about Bryan Greenberg.

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 3:31 PM

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 3:19 PM

Yes, it is funny. I’ve known several of those types and don’t see them anymore and have no idea if they’ve ever made it outside.

I get that and am not talking about those comments. I’m not even upset, more annoyed. There’s just no reason to call everyone who’s ever played a video game a shut in, and that’s all I was referring to.

Relax you guys, it’s a little tongue in cheek teasing.

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 3:09 PM

You’re full of it, really.

You follow that comment with…

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 3:20 PM

The characters on an online role playing game are exactly as real as the people right here on Hot Air.

And for both of you, I didn’t “pull the Byran card.” I was simply explaining one example of the person csdeven was calling a shut in.

Again, the teasing I get and am not commenting on. It’s the rabid whining about “adult responsibilities” and “adults who never grew up” nonsense that I’m arguing with.

right2bright, I’ve agreed on several occasions that these are just games. You’re clearly reading some anger into my posts that just isn’t there.

Esthier on September 27, 2007 at 3:41 PM

Esthier on September 27, 2007 at 3:41 PM

Thanks for helping me while away a little time…your a good sport…you should get out more (just kidding).

But now you’ve got me in trouble with Bryan. Have to spend the rest of the week kissing his…you know how he is. Those shut-ins get very irrational.

Bryan, have a way for you to make a million dollars…invent a “tanning monitor”. A tanning light built into the monitor, no one will ever know. You could look like a young George Hamilton, and still blog and stream, or BS as they say in the trade.

There, that should get me un-banned.

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 3:54 PM

I’ve spent plenty time enjoying the Halo series. I see it as no different from watching tv or reading a novel or drawing a picture of your dog. It’s something you enjoy doing when you’re sitting on your couch. It has nothing to do with maturity or a waste of time. It’s not time you need to worry about getting back, because you would have spent it on your couch relaxing in some manner anyway. It only becomes a problem when you spend 8 hours a day doing it or when you neglect important aspects of your life because of it. And I bet that’s the exception rather than the norm.

Privatestock on September 27, 2007 at 3:57 PM

I would go outside if I could, but the Doc said “No”. Cause when I see boars, I have sudden urge to hit them with a sword….

Dark Fox on September 27, 2007 at 4:10 PM

Dark Fox on September 27, 2007 at 4:10 PM

HaHa, that is funny…I thought I was the only one.

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 4:16 PM

The popularity of Halo 3, the rest of the first-person shooters, and the real-time strategy games seems to make it plain that men thoroughly enjoy killing enemies and taking their things. They just need an honorable occasion for their mayhem and high confidence of victory.

Kralizec on September 27, 2007 at 4:16 PM

right2bright on September 27, 2007 at 3:54 PM

ha ha

The weather is starting to get nice over here though.

Esthier on September 27, 2007 at 4:23 PM

OH, THAT’S RIGHT!!! That’s how life is in the video game world! Guess what oh great and powerful gnarly one? This is real life, not a video game.

Sorry, this is fascinating reading–but how is “this” real life? This is cyber-space where you can be anyone you choose. If a blog is considered “real life”, I’m not sure what real life really is. Really.

Now, back to the flaming! HA!

robblefarian on September 27, 2007 at 5:12 PM

I’ve learned my lesson from csdeven and will now devote every hour I would have wasted playing video games to a better cause: campaigning for Fred!

saint kansas on September 27, 2007 at 5:21 PM

saint kansas on September 27, 2007 at 5:21 PM

I learned something, too. Crotchety is not an attractive trait.

Privatestock on September 27, 2007 at 5:53 PM

saint kansas on September 27, 2007 at 5:21 PM

Bwahahahaha! Good one.

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 6:08 PM

Lots of comments on every game-related thread here on HotAir. We should capitalize on that…

HotAir Nights every Friday!
Vent, game, laugh, and have fun in a special online chat room on Xbox Live — 9PM in the Beast/6PM on the Waste!
-Get pWned in Dance Dance Revolution by Michelle Malkin!
-Hear the voice of Allahpundit as he snipes you from across the map in Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter!
-Tell your friends that you played C&C 3 Tiberium Wars with Bryan Frickin’ Preston!

HotAir Nights every Friday on Xbox Live: It’s only for those who can take the heat.

ScottMcC on September 27, 2007 at 7:38 PM

Brain dead idiots wasting their lives away living in a pretend world.

Brilliant!

csdeven on September 26, 2007 at 10:47 PM
—————

…and then the Air Force hires those brain dead idiots to fly Global Hawk and Predator drones… Brilliant!

BTW. I play Guild Wars all the time…

Peter_P on September 28, 2007 at 12:21 AM

Also beats K West and 50c CD realeses (about 1 million coppies vs Halos 4 million).

Now I have to play it and see if it is just another “liberal” views platform to watch out for. The cut scenes are of particular concern as sides justify their actions. Who are the “Freedom Fighters”.

The shoot em up part is clearly liberal in that you will liberally pour boxes of bullets into the “bad guys”. As it should be.

Agrippa2k on September 28, 2007 at 1:15 AM

Do I sound paranoid. I don’t think so.

Agrippa2k on September 28, 2007 at 1:15 AM

One should also consider that online play popularity, does forward a “Liberal” agenda more than any other genre.

One can pick either side, Drug Dealer, Terrorist, Russian – good guys or bad guys – “What’s the difference”. In the past shoot em ups clearly put you on the “right side”.

Alien games blur the difference even further. And where humans battle monsters, it is a common theme that we “go to far”, have superior weapons, etc.

Frequently (as in Halo) you are put in the role of “bringer of chaos”. Before you enter the game aliens are usually milling around “peacefully”. You never see the bodies of fallen comrades in the earlier phase of hostilities, or the abused indigenous inhabitants.

I’m just saying.

Agrippa2k on September 28, 2007 at 1:25 AM

csdeven on September 27, 2007 at 12:41 PM
Wrong!!!!

Your first assumption that is in error is that its only about eye-hand cordination. You are definatly stuck in the 1980′s and need to upgrade!

The number one thing the DOD finds that is the main diference between video gamers and those military member that don’t play video games is that the players, no matter the eye-hand cordination skill level, are more able to recongnize multiple inputs of information and react to it in a timely manner. This is the skill set that quite frankly, DOD has found really can’t be taught.

There is no 40 hour block of instruction that can teach this, no text book written on it. There are plenty of research papers on this and the consenuse so far is that the best way to get such skill sets is to spend time playing games.

You need to read up on the unmanned STRYKER program and maybe you’ll see what I’m talking about, Dude.

opusrex on September 28, 2007 at 1:22 PM