David Shuster’s dead soldier gotcha falls apart?

posted at 3:54 pm on September 26, 2007 by Bryan

Subbing for MSNBC’s Tucker, the same reporter who confidently (and as it turned out, incorrectly) reported that Karl Rove would be indicted over the Plame case played gotcha with Republican Rep. Marsha Blackburn over her not knowing the name of the last soldier from her district to have been killed in Iraq.

SHUSTER: Let’s talk about the public trust. You represent of course a district in western Tennessee. What was the name of the last soldier from your district who was killed in Iraq?

MARSHA BLACKBURN: The name of the last soldier killed in Iraq from my district? I do not know.

SHUSTER: OK, his name was Jeremy Bohannon. He was killed August the ninth, 2007. How come you didn’t know the name?

BLACKBURN: You know, I do not know why I did not know the name. We make contact with the families that are in our district, and when you have a major military post you are very sensitive to this and sensitive to working with those families and that is something that my staff and I do daily. Our district director is a gentleman who has served in the U.S. Army and currently serves in the National Guard, and we do everything that we possibly can do to assist those families. We are very appreciative of the sacrifice –

SHUSTER: Well, you weren’t appreciative enough to know the name of this young man, he was 18 years old who was killed, yet you can say chapter and verse what goes on with the New York Times and MoveOn.org.

Shuster’s game was disgusting and, it’s turning out, wasn’t true to the facts. The soldier he named didn’t live in Blackburn’s district.

It now turns out that Army Private Jeremy Bohannon had not, contrary to Shuster’s claim, lived in Rep. Blackburn’s congressional district. As blogger Conservative Belle brought to NB’s attention, and as she has written about at her site, Private Bohannon lived in Bon Acqua, TN. Checking his nine-digit zip code reveals that he in fact lived in Tennessee District 8, represented by John Tanner, a Democrat.

I have now spoken with an aide in Rep. Blackburn’s office, who confirmed that Pvt. Bohannon had not lived in the congresswoman’s district.

Yes, Mr. Shuster, by all means, let’s talk about the public trust. And why no member of the public should trust you or the network that puts you on the air and doesn’t reprimand you when you get your facts wrong.

Comments

A voicemail message left for Shuster inviting his comment had not been returned as of the time of posting this item.

A source informs me that MSNBC might be issuing a statement later today acknowledging its mistake. If so, we’ll bring it to our readers ASAP.

No comment from brave reporter boy? SHOCK!

Topsecretk9 on September 26, 2007 at 3:58 PM

And people wonder why I gave up watching tv news and reading newspapers years ago…

mrfixit on September 26, 2007 at 3:58 PM

Yet, Ahmadinejad Mr. Shuster, by all means, let’s talk about the public‘s trust suspicion. And why no member of the public Iran’s gay community should trust you or the network University that puts you on the air and doesn’t reprimand you when you get your facts wrong.

Mcguyver on September 26, 2007 at 4:00 PM

I hope Tucker Carlson issues the apology and then profoundly to apologizes MessNbc viewers for having third rate Shuster fill in form him.

Topsecretk9 on September 26, 2007 at 4:00 PM

Marla Mapes is going to issue a statement saying that although that specific Marine didn’t live in the Congresswoman’s district, there has been, in fact, other fallen Marine’s from her district that she did not know their names.

p0s3r on September 26, 2007 at 4:05 PM

{deleted} Nope still can’t speak {deleted}
Okay I am pretty angry over these shameless use of our dead soldiers and service members to play some sort of petty game.
[still not calm so I will continue to self delete] You don’t want to know what I am thinking!

LakeRuins on September 26, 2007 at 4:08 PM

This is actually the bottom of the barrel of journalism. I’ve watched a lot of crap over the years, and I can’t think of anything as absurd as this self-righteous attempt to label hypocracy where it is not. I hate it when Tucker is off, his show plummets in quality.

Regardless of all of that though, the Congresswoman gave a very poor showing. She should have changed the dynamic of the conversation, in such a hostile environment have to think on your feet.

Spirit of 1776 on September 26, 2007 at 4:10 PM

Any conservative that appears on that network or nbc can expect the same treatment…she should have walked off the set and left the ‘lefty’ sitting there…what a moron…and he didn’t even have the facts correct…I don’t watch that network…never will…

areseaoh on September 26, 2007 at 4:11 PM

Even if his facts were right it’s a disgusting attack.

Christoph on September 26, 2007 at 4:13 PM

Is this journalism or the Jerry Springer show?

Kini on September 26, 2007 at 4:14 PM

If she had smacked him, that would have been the right answer. Someone needs to stand up for the military people lost in this war and their families left behind that have to witness the sacrifice of their life cheapened by hacks like this twit.

MSNBC is a step above a community college radio station.

Hening on September 26, 2007 at 4:15 PM

Bryan, I do love the ways your words flow when you are ticked! Great post!

Pam on September 26, 2007 at 4:16 PM

Bryan, I do love the ways your words flow when you are ticked! Great post!

Pam on September 26, 2007 at 4:16 PM

He also brought up the Rush Limbaugh/Hagel thing where a caller calls Hagel Senator Betray Us. Of course, unmentioned is the fact that Hagel’s betrayal was a betrayal of fellow Republicans and not actual treason as in MoveOn’s ad at the NYT. It seems to me these are very clearly different.

The Apologist on September 26, 2007 at 4:17 PM

Are these stageshows boosting the ratings for MSNBC at all?

Is there absolutely any gain from Shuster’s false reports? If you’re going to lie repeatedly on television, at least get a boost in ratings.

gabriel sutherland on September 26, 2007 at 4:18 PM

I daresay that Schuster would be hard-pressed to name the last soldier killed in the district where he lives either. I know he’s not a “politician” (so-to-speak), but I seriously doubt that he “knew” the last killed in my district without having looked it up before the interview. And it is nauseatingly obvious to me that that is precisely what he did, for the sole purpose of slamming my representative!

Ms Blackburn has been an excellent representative in our district throughout her entire tenure in DC.

leepro on September 26, 2007 at 4:19 PM

Wonder what would happen to Pelosi or Kennedy if O’Reilly asked “Whats the name of the last person from your district/area/state to die in Iraq, why don’t you know their name and don’t you feel like your insulting their memory by surrendering to Al Qaeda?”

Defector01 on September 26, 2007 at 4:22 PM

Mistake = SOP

Dusty on September 26, 2007 at 4:25 PM

She played his game – she should’ve said, “I personally contact the family of every member of our military who has died, or been wounded, and who is from my District. Now, inasmuch as you’re so allegedly concerned with such matters, please tell me the name of the last family that you’ve personally contacted, and who has had a family member killed or wounded in Iraq or Afghanistan?”

“I’ll wait.”

OhEssYouCowboys on September 26, 2007 at 4:26 PM

Here’s my exchange with from Shuster this afternoon:

=======================================================

—– Forwarded message —–
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 16:09:39 -0400
From: William Smith
Subject: RE: Correction?
To: “Shuster, David (NBC Universal, MSNBC)”

I grant that point, David, but you were flat out WRONG with the next section of the transcript. You made a factual statement and declared that the name of the deceased soldier was Jeremy Bohannon and then predicated the rest of the interview on that incorrect fact.

——————————————————–
Shuster: “Okay, his name was Jeremy Bohannon. He was killed August the 9th, 2007. How come you didn’t know the name?”

Blackburn: “I – I, you know, I – I do not know why I did not know the name…”

Shuster: “But you weren’t appreciative enough to know the name of this young man. He was 18 years old who was killed, and yet you can say chapter and verse about what’s going on with The New York Times and Move On.org.” [snip] “Don’t you understand, the problems that a lot of people would have, that you’re so focused on an ad. When was the last time a New York Times ad ever killed somebody? I mean, here we have a war that took the life of an 18-year-old kid, Jeremy Bohannon, from your district, and you didn’t even know his name.”
——————————————————–

You asserted several times, sir, that Jeremy Bohannon was from her district and then hammered the Congresswoman for not knowing *his* name.

She may not have known whether the last soldier killed in her district was Jeremy Bohannon, William Smith or David Shuster but…well…you didn’t either.

Regardless of her priorities, you got it wrong. The record needs to be corrected. Hammer her on her priorities all you like, but you really should take responsibility when you make a mistake. What do you think that says about journalistic integrity when you got a key fact in your interview flat-out wrong?

A on-air correction is absolutely justified.

Regards,
William

—————————————————–

Quoting “Shuster, David (NBC Universal, MSNBC)” :

William,

Thanks for your inquiry. You are wrong on a key point, though. Before the name of the soldier was ever mentioned on the show, I asked Ms. Blackburn the name of the last soldier from her district killed in Iraq. She did not know.

Here’s the transcript:

SHUSTER: Congressman, let`s talk about the public trust. You represent, of course, a district in western Tennessee. What was the name of the last soldier from your district who was killed in Iraq?

BLACKBURN: The name of the last soldier killed in Iraq, from my district, I do not know.

That means she didn’t know and wouldn’t know whether it was David shuster, William Smith, or jeremy Bohannon.

I respect your point of view… But if you are truly an “editor,” as you say, I’m sure you will understand that this segment was about the priorities of Representative Blackburn. What do you think it says when any lawmaker, regardless of their party, knows more about a newspaper ad
than about their constituents serving and dying in Iraq?

Sincerely,
D

—–Original Message—–
From: William Smith
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 1:56 PM
To: Shuster, David (NBC Universal, MSNBC)
Subject: Correction?

David,

I was wondering: Since you ambushed Marsha Blackburn pretty vehemently over the name of Jeremy Bohannon, are you now going to correct the record just as vehemently now that it’s come to light that Jeremy Bohannon was NOT from her district?

How come YOU didn’t know his Congressman was John Tanner, a Democrat?

Where’s the apology and the correction, sir?

William Smith
Manchester, NH
Editor, ConservativeBlogger.com

ConBlog_NH on September 26, 2007 at 4:29 PM

P.S. I am so sick of snot-nosed “journalism.”

OhEssYouCowboys on September 26, 2007 at 4:29 PM

“Ambush” of a Jew-hating, terrorist loving/supporting, homosexual executing, woman oppressing, Iranian dictator, with truthful words that he knew were coming from the beginning? : rude, and forgetting one’s manners.

Ambush of a Republican Congresswoman with unchecked, false information, about a fact that the speaker didn’t even know the answer to anyway? : priceless, hard-hitting journalism.

How much to you love the MSM?

nailinmyeye on September 26, 2007 at 4:29 PM

But if you are truly an “editor,” as you say, I’m sure you will understand that this segment was about the priorities of Representative Blackburn. What do you think it says when any lawmaker, regardless of their party, knows more about a newspaper ad than about their constituents serving and dying in Iraq?

In other words, he considers it fake but accurate. That’s like the truth, but not.

amerpundit on September 26, 2007 at 4:32 PM

Also unmentioned is the fact that the “General Betray Us” meme first appeared on Countdown with KO, for which Shuster is a correspondent.

rw on September 26, 2007 at 4:32 PM

ConBlog_NH on September 26, 2007 at 4:29 PM

Nice work, William. Shuster evidently subscribes to the Dan Rather “Fake But Accurate” school of journalism, in which the narrative trumps the actual facts.

Bryan on September 26, 2007 at 4:33 PM

MSNBC, where ratings go to die.

fogw on September 26, 2007 at 4:34 PM

I submit that it’s not my Rep’s job to know my name if I die in a war. If I wasn’t known to them when I was alive, why is my name suddenly important to know if the ONLY thing that changes is that I died? If I die under especially heroic or ignoble conditions, that’s one thing. But a normal, run of the mill combat death? No thanks, that’s just a normal consequence of my job, though not at all a preferable one.

Just as it’s not some reporter’s job to cynically use my name to play the kind of stump the chump scenario you see on game shows. Seriously…how ghoulish do you have be to feed off of a soldier’s death like that?

(I guess…about 1/4,000th as ghoulish as the moron making t-shirt profits off of the dead, but the point remains.)

James on September 26, 2007 at 4:35 PM

I would be intrigued to hear Shuster explain in what ways a dead soldier (pick one) is similar to either the New York Times or MoveOn.org. This attempt at a “sting” would’ve made no less sense had he quizzed the congresswoman about the migration habits of manatees (though that at least have been more tasteful).

Blacklake on September 26, 2007 at 4:35 PM

An apology also needs to be issued to Jeremy Bohannon’s family, explaining why they felt it was necessary to disgrace his good name and sacrifice so the shuckster Shuster could attempt to score some sad political points.

What a moronic ass Shuster is.

darwin on September 26, 2007 at 4:37 PM

Let that be a lesson to not just Blackburn, but all those the media target. Don’t trust your interviewer to have fact-checked their “facts”. Call them on it and request they establish the accuracy of them right then and there.

It depends, of course, on who you are dealing with but the industry average makes it look like you’ve got a 50-50 chance they are wrong and you can embarass the hell out of them right there, live on their own show.

Sorry, I still have a picture of Matthews’ deadpan loser look after Ingraham pushed back about the Greenspan quote. Has he quoted again on his show, yet?

Dusty on September 26, 2007 at 4:37 PM

The fact that he had his information wrong does not change his point – she did not know the name of the last soldier from her district that died in Iraq. Fine. That his information was wrong should be embarrassing to him, and to MSNBC. But, it does not change his point…he made his point, and it was idiotic.

The part of the report that I find outrageous is that he ambushed her, and loves himself for it. The tactic he used was, in my opinion, unfair. And everyone gets all bent out of shape when Bollinger “stands up to” Ahmadenijad…but when this reporter, with school-girl giddiness, supposes he “tricked” a Congresswoman, he’s all aflutter.

nailinmyeye on September 26, 2007 at 4:38 PM

And, as others are hinting at – outrage should be directed at Schuster for the use of this soldier’s name, and death, to make a weak political point.

What a prick.

nailinmyeye on September 26, 2007 at 4:41 PM

Even absent these current facts, the whole thing was reprehensible. MSNBC should have been pulling him off the air–in real-time.

urbancenturion on September 26, 2007 at 4:41 PM

Even if his facts were right it’s a disgusting attack.

Kind of makes you wonder if he purposely had the wrong name. You know, if the congresswoman had the name if Shuster had planned on going – “well you’re wrong!!!” and feign ritous indignation.

crazy_legs on September 26, 2007 at 4:44 PM

He played an Olby-school ‘neener-neener’ on her and is not sitting around waiting on his Pulitzer to arrive via DHL.

I don’t have cable, or satellite. Won’t until my subscription dollars only support the channels I want and not 183 that I don’t want to have anything to do with.
MSNBC lives because you give them money. Every single time you pay your cable bill they get a cut.

Limerick on September 26, 2007 at 4:45 PM

How nice, using a dead soldier as a pawn.

Let’s line up all the pictures of the dead soldiers and see how many we can identify…no wait, lets contact all of the dead soldiers parents and see if they were contacted by a congressperson. Then we can hold up the pictures of the crying parents over the grave and show how congress doesn’t care about individuals. Then we can show each picture of a dead soldier, and the congressperson who did not contact them.
This is going to be so much fun, and the ratings will be really good.
Man, I wish I was a reporter…I could use those dead soldiers and really boost my ratings. Hell, if they didn’t die to boost ratings, what good are they?

And the parents? Who cares…as long as “I gotcha”.

Sicko’s

right2bright on September 26, 2007 at 4:46 PM

What a dick-head!

sabbott on September 26, 2007 at 4:47 PM

Shuster probably knew that Private Bohannon (RIP) didn’t live in the congresswoman’s district. Corrections and/or apologies could always be made later, however, another piece to feed the meme that “Republicans don’t really care about the troops” is now already in the minds of a few more people thanks to Shuster. He merely saw another opportunity to do his part and he took it.

Job(bing) well done. /cynicism

baldilocks on September 26, 2007 at 4:49 PM

A on-air correction is absolutely justified.

Don’t hang while you’re waiting!

CurtZHP on September 26, 2007 at 4:49 PM

Anyone keeping track of how many of the lefts low-class gotcha attacks fall apart on a minute by minute basis?

And how many lefty cult bloggers glom onto them just as the tissue falls apart?

Topsecretk9 on September 26, 2007 at 4:52 PM

Somebody needs to slap the manure out of that worthless little puke, Shuster. Who is he trying to fool? He and the rest of those two-bit leftist shills at that network have only one thing in mind and that’s to undermine our military and our war effort. I can’t understand why anyone would want to be interviewed by MSNBC in that it only has about 40 viewers.

rplat on September 26, 2007 at 4:52 PM

Does he know the name of the last casualty in his hometown without prepping for it? Oh wait, he probably knows no one in the military of his own volition to start with…

jcrue on September 26, 2007 at 4:59 PM

Criticize David Shuster all you want but at least he gave us that accurate scoop about Karl Rove being indicted in May 2006.

pjcomix on September 26, 2007 at 5:05 PM

He really should be subbing for BathTub Boy, instead. Anyway, for making mistakes, he won’t get fired. He’ll probably get his own show. Maybe all of this was a demo of the alleged “journalism” he could bring to an alleged “news” program.

If something extraordinary were to happen and he were to lose his job, I’m sure Pinchy Sulzburger has a spot for him.

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on September 26, 2007 at 5:11 PM

This is why Rush’s nick for the Drive-by Media is so accurate, and this is a typical event, remember all the wild speculations about hi-cap mags during the VTech media frenzy? Remember the attempt to correct the error? Nah, me neither.

Anyway, I’m glad ConservativeBelle looked into it, she’s a regular visitor to my crapblog, and a fellow AoS moron.

Bad Candy on September 26, 2007 at 5:15 PM

Kudos to Bryan Preston, HotAir, and ConservativeBelle for reporting the facts. However, the reality is that unless every blogger and radio talk show host hammers Shuster on this lie over the next few days, MSNBC and Shuster will get away with this smear amd the political left will be empowered every time they repeat this lie to an uninformed populace.

ScottMcC on September 26, 2007 at 5:25 PM

I’ve said it on this site before, and I will say it again — David Shuster is retarded. How much more proof do we need?

And for those fellow ‘tards posting here claiming “Well the point was she didn’t know the name of the last soldier killed from her district,” I say “so what?” If you think it’s every legislator’s business to know every name of every soldier killed in Iraq on a minute-by-minute basis, you’re as much a moron as Shuster. Get a life.

D2Boston on September 26, 2007 at 5:27 PM

D2Boston on September 26, 2007 at 5:27 PM

Out of curiosity – did someone on this thread defend Schuster and I missed it?

nailinmyeye on September 26, 2007 at 6:01 PM

When are they gonna take this idiot off the air?

d1carter on September 26, 2007 at 7:00 PM

nailinmyeye:

That would be pjcomix with the comment that at least he got the “Rove will be indicted” prediction correct.

davod on September 26, 2007 at 7:09 PM

This suprises anyone? You’re talking about really scummy traitorous creatures at MSNBC. These creatures are seditious bolsheviks looking to bring the country down or at least into the wrong hands. But Bryan certainly deserves a thanks for catching this, as I for one, and perhaps many, many other people never watch the crap on MSNBC and would never know of this stuff.

countywolf on September 26, 2007 at 7:48 PM

davod on September 26, 2007 at 7:09 PM

Oh. Thanks.

nailinmyeye on September 26, 2007 at 7:59 PM

Hopefully next time David Shuster will do his own research instead of relying on left wing blogs for his information.

SoulGlo on September 26, 2007 at 8:02 PM

If Schuster wasn’t KO’s lapdog he’d probably be getting a WPITW award,By the way has that indictment for Rove came in yet?..Schuster assured us it was coming.

mlong on September 26, 2007 at 8:21 PM

So, Shuster plays gotcha with Blackburn to imply she doesn’t care about the troops. He won’t correct his error because he doesn’t care about the troops.

I wonder if Shuster contacted the Bohannon family before he used their son’s name? Doubt it.

Jeremy Bohannon is apparently nothing more to Shuster than a chance to score in his crappy little game.

cyrano on September 26, 2007 at 8:34 PM

Well if he contacted them then he would have learned he didn’t reside in her district, so it’s fair to say Shuster doesn’t really care about this family or the truth.

I am waiting for Jane Hamsher to discipline her little brave boy reporter for conceding a bit of an error any minute now.

Topsecretk9 on September 26, 2007 at 9:08 PM

ScottMcC on September 26, 2007 at 5:25 PM

Dittos, Rush has nailed him already.

This Shuster boy appears to to be starving for attention.

Texyank on September 26, 2007 at 10:36 PM

Are we gonna play gotcha politics too? I believe she should have known the troopers name.

csdeven on September 26, 2007 at 10:45 PM

That’s my representative that s.o.b. tried to ambush. I say “tried,” because no matter what, he was the one who came off looking like an a$$.

No, Marsha doesn’t have to commit to memory every soldier’s name who dies in conflict. That’s not her job. She was elected to represent me and a bunch of other constituents in my district. We elected an Congresswoman, not a mommy figure. She does a doggone fine job as our representative, and I’m proud of her.

Tennman on September 27, 2007 at 12:03 AM

There is going to be a point in time when enough of us get enraged enough at the slimy media and their biases, their hatred of the right, and their outright lies, that physical violence will ensue.

I’m not advocating. I’m just making an observation.

In fact, I think it would be regretful if not disasterous to liberty in America, but when MSM goes hard left and slanderers everybody on the right, and lies outright WITHOUT ANY CONTROL OR BALANCE, their ability to make war upon us on the right becomes unstoppable.

Sure we complain. And either they or their Soros-funded lapdogs laugh, give each other high-fives, and have the satisfaction that they are winning the media war.

Yes, we can attack their bottom line. But do the corporations that run CBS, NBC, ABC, and CNN care? They’re just a “profit center,” and management doesn’t care what they broadcast as long as the corporation makes a profit. The NY Times corporation doesn’t care, even thought their profits have been in the toilet for several years now. Why? The Sulzberger family owns the preferred stock — the voting stock — and they do with it what they want.

The broadcast media IS vulnerable over their licenses. However, the mechanism (as was proved with Janet Jackson’s “malfunction”) is difficult to use. As one who has filed formal complaints against Chicago broadcasting stations, I can tell you that it is IMPOSSIBLE for the average person (or group of average persons) to get a station license denied at renewal time based upon content complaints. It just doesn’t happen. The FCC doesn’t give a damn.

So, the regulatory mechanisms of corporate management and license denial (which won’t work against CNN or the printed news anyway) are ineffective; what’s next?

Well, we CAN boycott the media, but unless you’re an Arbitron or Nielson family, nobody will even know. Yes, sponsors and advertisers can be contacted or boycotted. But unless it’s something like 85 million gun owners boycotting KMart over KMart’s decision to stop selling handguns/ammunition and using Rosie as a spokesperson, a boycott isn’t likely to have any effect.

I know what the Moveon-Democrats do, they publicly threaten retaliation. And they are known to assault people they disagree with.

So, I wonder how much longer will we on the right hold our peace and keep the peace?

georgej on September 27, 2007 at 12:15 AM

It unfortunately doesnt matter. Corrections are never seen by the bandwagon chasers because they either never get shown on the station that screwed up or it is only a 5 second bit, shown once in contrast to the original untrue story’s dozen showings. And papers bury any corrections on page 15, in a 2″ x 2″ paragraph.

El Guapo on September 27, 2007 at 12:27 AM

georgej

Physical violence will never ensue. Us conservatives have jobs and families we take care of, thus cant afford to take a whole day or week off work to protest or vandalize.

The problem is the minority loony left is louder than the majority center-right. when that happens they appear to be bigger since the media is paying attention to them.

El Guapo on September 27, 2007 at 12:32 AM

Q: What is the liberal word for “choke”?

Black Adam on September 27, 2007 at 7:04 AM

Again, NO…it’s not her job to know. I’m getting fed up with people ignoring, or being ignorant of, the difference between sacrifice and notoriety.

Dying in a war is nothing to become famous for.

James on September 27, 2007 at 7:20 AM

What do you expect from a lying coward that uses false rhetoric to entrap those who have been “set up”? This is the type of trash that is coming constantly from the left.

volsense on September 27, 2007 at 8:44 AM