Pesky Marines keep interfering with San Francisco’s traffic

posted at 2:45 pm on September 25, 2007 by Allahpundit

Thank goodness we have vigilant civil servants like Stefanie Coyote working to keep our roads free for automobiles. And also for any sort of demonstration whatsoever that doesn’t involve people in American uniforms.

Why were the U.S. Marines denied permission to film a recruiting commercial on the streets of San Francisco?…

Captain Greg Corrales commands the police traffic bureau that works with crews shooting commercials, TV shows and movies in the city. He’s also a Marine veteran and his son is serving his third tour of duty in Iraq.

He says Film Commission Executive Director Stefanie Coyote would only allow the Marine’s production crew to film on California Street if there were no Marines in the picture. They wound up filming the empty street and will have to superimpose the Marines later…

“Traffic control was the issue,” explained Stefanie Coyote.

However, the Marines would have just shut down one lane of California Street for a few minutes at a time, and Captain Corrales points out the Film Commission often approves shoots for rush hour…

The Marines we spoke with also make the point that the city allows street demonstrations, anti-war protests and other events which snarl traffic, such as Critical Mass. They still don’t understand why the Marines got turned away.

Do they really not understand or do they “not understand” the way I “don’t understand” why Ahmadinejad got an invite to speak at the Ivy League?

FYI, Stefanie Coyote is married to actor Peter Coyote. Ahem.

coyote.png

Comments

And of course this is considered ‘bravery’ on behalf of liberals

Maybe those same Marines should ask to speak at SFSU and Berkeley instead?

Defector01 on September 25, 2007 at 2:48 PM

They really are just begging to be cut off and sunk aren’t they.

Iblis on September 25, 2007 at 2:48 PM

They still don’t understand why the Marines got turned away.

They don’t want to offend the bridge gnomes.

Mcguyver on September 25, 2007 at 2:50 PM

US out of San Francisco now!

or is it the other way around?

TBinSTL on September 25, 2007 at 2:52 PM

Shocked I am.

Hello military, San Diego loves you! Fleet Week would be much nicer down south!!

Theworldisnotenough on September 25, 2007 at 2:53 PM

makes no sense, sf IS part of the USA right?

trailortrash on September 25, 2007 at 2:53 PM

Is it time to cut off federal funds?

stonemeister on September 25, 2007 at 2:54 PM

Can San Francisoc succeed from California?

Better yet can we kick them out?

Theworldisnotenough on September 25, 2007 at 2:54 PM

I hate that I feel it, and it wouldn’t happen, but if the military is ever needed in some broad way domestically (maybe…widespread simultaneous terrorism?) that SF would get triaged well down the list.

eeyore on September 25, 2007 at 2:57 PM

Can San Francisoc succeed from California?

Theworldisnotenough

I’m in SD too, we have a fleet week already but sure we’ll take everyone else in from SF.
And i got a better idea then SF seceeding from CA; SD, Orange, San Bernadino and most of the eastern/northeastern provinces break from California and form our own state.

Defector01 on September 25, 2007 at 2:59 PM

trailortrash on September 25, 2007 at 2:53 PM

Unfortunately.

infidel4life on September 25, 2007 at 2:59 PM

secede?

Ochlan on September 25, 2007 at 3:00 PM

You’ve sucked me in again on this one.
San Fran should not even be considered a part of the US…maybe part of Mexico….

Aggie85 on September 25, 2007 at 3:08 PM

Here’s A Letter from a Soldier who died last week in Iraq: Via Mark Levin’s site.

I stare out into the darkness from my post, and I watch the city burn to the ground. I smell the familiar smells, I walk through the familiar rubble, and I look at the frightened faces that watch me pass down the streets of their neighborhoods. My nerves hardly rest; my hands are steady on a device that has been given to me from my government for the purpose of taking the lives of others.

I sweat, and I am tired. My back aches from the loads I carry. Young American boys look to me to direct them in a manner that will someday allow them to see their families again…and yet, I too, am just a boy….my age not but a few years more than that of the ones I lead. I am stressed, I am scared, and I am paranoid…because death is everywhere. It waits for me, it calls to me from around street corners and windows, and it is always there…

Also, here’s The Audio of Mark reading the Letter on air.

If this does not speak to the character and fortitude of our Soldiers in Iraq, then nothing does. Rest in Peace Sgt. Eddy Jeffers!

Egfrow on September 25, 2007 at 3:09 PM

When SF gets attacked b/c of its disgusting western hedonism, all the cowards there will be hugging each other in the streets, begging for braver folks like those Marines, and the rednecks they turn up their noses at, to come and save their disgusting pathetic asses. Then they’ll blame Bush.

RW Wacko on September 25, 2007 at 3:09 PM

I could care less what happens in San Fran, whole town smells like vomit and pee.

Let them not have any military presence at all, if that is what their goal is, next time earth tries to shake off the blight that is San Francisco.

Neo on September 25, 2007 at 3:11 PM

If you did not follow the link to the Robert Cohon aka Peter Coyote interview, you have to go back. He is the most pretentious asshole I have ever seen.

The “PhD of flyfishing” segment is gold. This from a brainless anarchist putz who spent the 60′s hanging around Dead shows. He’s worth many millions, due to his 90 films and a book people buy for no apparent reason, and his political donations ytd are $1,250. And they probably exceed his charitable donations.

Jaibones on September 25, 2007 at 3:14 PM

Egfrow on September 25, 2007 at 3:09 PM

and God Bless Our Troop’s

trailortrash on September 25, 2007 at 3:14 PM

I don’t know why San Francisco is bugging out about this, if the Marines are blocking traffic, isn’t that gonna reduce carbon emissions? Even when the Marines try and help combat global warming, San Francisco rejects them…they really do hate the military.

Bad Candy on September 25, 2007 at 3:16 PM

Funny thing is that I believe I read somewhere that the Japanese planned a suicide attack on the US and wonder what target to pick.

I believe they chose San Fransico harbor but never got close enough to carry it out.

Some brave marines prevented it

William Amos on September 25, 2007 at 3:17 PM

I’ve about given up on these people.

Dittos to the others about moving it down to San Diego, one of my favorite places to visit.

JammieWearingFool on September 25, 2007 at 3:19 PM

Prediction regarding SF:

After the next big quake hits, SF will demand and welcome the National Guard and the military into their city to provide relief aid and order. They hate the military until they are in dire need. Then they realize who can really help them. When it’s all over, they’ll go back to hating them.

Mallard T. Drake on September 25, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Some brave marines prevented it

William Amos on September 25, 2007 at 3:17 PM

Bullseye!

Mallard T. Drake on September 25, 2007 at 3:22 PM

BRING BACK THE PRESIDIO NOW!!!

Andy in Agoura Hills on September 25, 2007 at 3:22 PM

This has been long in coming, but I will now make it official.

San Francisco has officially joined Mexico as a place that I will never willingly set foot in again.

Unlike Mexico, San Fran has a chance to change this.

It must do the following:

Apologize to all branches of the military for the overall contempt the city leaders have shown them.

Pass a resolution rescinding the symbolic vote to ban recruiters from public schools.

Reinstate the after school ROTC programs in its public schools.

Declare unequivocably that the city supports America and its brave men and women in uniform.

…….On second thought, San Fran has no chance to change its status with me. Pigs have yet to show any inclination towards growing wings.

Hawkins1701 on September 25, 2007 at 3:22 PM

Because the city is run by a bunch of imported, retarded, moonbat liberal pos.

Mojack420 on September 25, 2007 at 3:29 PM

Although I don’t advocate violence, sometimes people need a stiff right hook.

This goes beyond “free speech for me but not for the”. These morons are denying a branch of the United States government.

With none due respect, I hope these liberals become sterile so they won’t infect future generations.

They are a sickness.

natesnake on September 25, 2007 at 3:40 PM

Can’t the Feds shut down Fleet week and any bases close to SF to cut off those funds from those scum bags? They would want that anyway judging by their attitude from all the incidents of anti-military activity. They aren’t dumb enough to seceed, but penalizing them financially would do lot and make some of us feel better.

countywolf on September 25, 2007 at 3:45 PM

When God decides to give the world an enema he will insert the tube in San Franfreako. And they will love it..

Wade on September 25, 2007 at 3:47 PM

My girlfriend and I were at Union Square not too long ago and were harassed by a homeless loser. Those people have rights in San Francisco. The USMC, not so much.

jaime on September 25, 2007 at 3:55 PM

Honestly, I don’t know why they even asked.

They should have just done it and said, “So what are you pansies going to do about it?”

natesnake on September 25, 2007 at 4:01 PM

As a former Marine, I have just one wish for these people at their ilk:

If they’d like to hate the beacon of freedom they live in – and spit on the liberty *I* gave them – fine. Burn the flag. Cheer the Iranian president. Knock yourselves out, hippies.

But people like this should be put on a list. Voluntarily. A “we don’t need a military” list. In my happy hypothetical world, these people are tagged somehow so they’re easily identifiable.

And then, when they day inevitably comes when the U.S. Coast Guard has to save some of these people … or the National Guard moves in during a natural disaster or riot … or the by God United States Marine Corps has to actually defend that sorry piece of real estate …

… my brother Marines get to *NOT* defend these people. When the wolf growls at the door, we’ll be busy defending Americans who actually WANT us around. When the flood waters are rising or your Beverly Hills mansion is burning or foreign invaders are approaching intent on slitting your soft, weak bellies open …

We get to walk away.

You don’t like us. Fine. Just don’t call us when you decide you need us.

There are millions of Americans – and BILLIONS of people around the world – who are either intensely grateful for the United States military or they SHOULD be intensely grateful.

They ain’t on the list. We’re saving them.

You’re on your own, hippies. Good luck. Welcome to MY reality based community.

Professor Blather on September 25, 2007 at 4:16 PM

eeyore on September 25, 2007 at 2:57 PM

RW Wacko on September 25, 2007 at 3:09 PM

See?

I told you, San Francisco. You really might want to stop and think for a minute about what you’re doing.

You might have a very nasty life lesson coming. Perhaps sooner than you think.

Smart people don’t make a habit of openly hating the very people that might save their lives one day.

Carry on, hippies. Pass the pipe, hack some sack, and don’t you worry about the gathering storm clouds. Somebody will probably save you.

But as Eeyore noted above … you better hope there’s not a waiting list.

Professor Blather on September 25, 2007 at 4:23 PM

Iblis: “Well, since the Navy lost that base in Puerto Rico, maybe they can turn San Fran into their new live fire training range.”

What an interesting coincidence….

Washington, DC, September 26, 2007 (via TraitorNet)

The Department of the Navy released the following communiqué from Assistant Undersecretary of the Navy for raining and Morale, Lucian V. Patriot:

“The Department of the Navy, speaking for the Department of Defense, accepts with pleasure the application of the City of San Francisco, California, to be the new site of its live-fire training and exercise facility. Since the closing of the Visquenes facility in Puerto Rico, the Navy has been searching for a replacement site for live-fire exercises of Navy and Marine assets, prior to deployment on active duty.

We are pleased to announce that San Francisco, with it’s passage of a prohibition of flyovers by the US Navy Blue Angels, prohibition of using San Francisco streets to film USMC commercials, cancelling high school ROTC, refusal to base the USS Iowa memorial museum, and other measures to “opt out” of participating in the national defense, along with its Bay neighbor, Berkeley, has been selected to permanently host the new San Francisco Bay Area Military Training Facility.

While plans are still in a formative stage, it is expected that the new facility will extend to several sites in the Bay Area. Part of this facility, “The San Francisco Nest of Traitors Live-Fire Training and Exercise Area,” will host intensive urban warfare training, using live ammunition, for segments of America’s military including most units of the United States Marines, Air Force, Army, and of course the US Navy. Projected activities will include finely tuned Tomahawk Missile and army/naval bombardment artillery strikes on buildings such as City Hall, the Transamerica building, and the Embarcadero, which will also be used for amphibious landing training.

Other activities, including live bayonet exercises and massed riflery fire, will be conducted across the Bay in Berkeley at the new “Berkeley Nest of Traitors Live-Fire Training and Exercise Area at USC Berkeley,” on the campus quad for both Marine and Army infantry units, and the use of the Berkeley City administrative center for air-to-ground practice for both Navy, Marine Air, and Air Force squadrons. Other city and university facilities in the Bay Area will be utilized for exercises and will feature use of Marine and Army armored vehicles and rotary winged aircraft.

Separate exercises will be conducted in defense against bio-chemical warfare using live agents in these urban environments. Techniques on urban war fighting in that environment, as well as practice in the offensive use of these weapons, will be taught within the Facility, which in effect, includes the entire San Francisco Bay Area but which will center on the City of San Francisco.

The Cities of San Francisco and Berkeley and university campus at Berkeley, long reservoirs of hatred against the United States military, and ardent supporters of countries and political philosophies hostile to the United States, will also serve a useful morale purpose, giving personal validation to military personnel as they train for insertion to areas of similar anti-US hostility such as Iraq.

Dates to begin operation and the schedule of individual training exercises will be announced shortly.”

### 30

The above is SATIRE.

georgej on September 25, 2007 at 4:29 PM

Professor Blather on September 25, 2007 at 4:16 PM

Excellent post, and thank you for your service.

RW Wacko on September 25, 2007 at 4:39 PM

Amen Professor.

infidel4life on September 25, 2007 at 4:41 PM

Ochlan on September 25, 2007 at 3:00 PM

Heh.Me no spell good.

Theworldisnotenough on September 25, 2007 at 4:52 PM

Professor Blather on September 25, 2007 at 4:23 PM

I would like your permission to copy your comments , with some city name changes, so that I might state the same sentiments to that sanctuary city of Minneapolis. I, too am a former Marine (Vietnam) and say to you a hearty Oooh rah and Semper Fidelis welcome home and thank you for words well spoken.

MNDavenotPC on September 25, 2007 at 5:00 PM

Defector01 on September 25, 2007 at 2:59 PM

San Francisco’s is a bigger event.

As far as forming our own state, I’ll take splitting our electoral votes. Dean is a little panicky.
I am not in favor of splitting the vote. I like the distribution of votes the way it is, if this precedent went nationwide we are that much closer to mob rule. It is a good tactic to drain Democrat coffers in their fight against the legislation.

Theworldisnotenough on September 25, 2007 at 5:02 PM

They still don’t understand why the Marines got turned away.

::sigh::

I do.

tree hugging sister on September 25, 2007 at 5:03 PM

Nothing San Francisco does can make me much more than “scratch my head”. We should give them to somebody but I doubt if anyone would take them. The last time I was there it was a lovely town (but that was in the 50′s).

duff65 on September 25, 2007 at 5:08 PM

he considers them to be his charitable donations…

urbancenturion on September 25, 2007 at 5:22 PM

If the navy begin making plans to move out of SF and down to Los Angeles and San Diego, SF would change their mind pretty quick. They rely on that “dirty military” money to prop up their city.

Time to rattle the cage.

right2bright on September 25, 2007 at 5:34 PM

In the animal kingdom a coyote is basically a scarvenger.Feeding of the left-over kill of real hunters.
Stefanie, Peter and their Hollywood cronies live that role to perfection.

RMR on September 25, 2007 at 5:53 PM

MNDavenotPC on September 25, 2007 at 5:00 PM

Of course. Feel free. Semper Fi.

You know what’s actually funny about what I wrote? It’s the obvious truth that the people I’d really like to defend if I had my choice … won’t need defending. They’ll be tough, self-reliant, independent (and probably armed).

When the worst happens – and it will – most of the people the U.S. Marine Corps will be defending will, in fact, be the very same people who hate them now.

The rednecks here in Tennessee won’t need all that much help. Maybe a little extra ammunition. And beer.

Professor Blather on September 25, 2007 at 7:31 PM

Yes, I felt the same thing while I was reading your words. But having those self reliant by our sides, would make this an inpenetrable country to overtake and maybe, just maybe guilt the nondeserved.

MNDavenotPC on September 25, 2007 at 7:37 PM

When my beloved late brother returned from one of his six “trips” to Vietnam (USAF Special Operations) they landed in San Fran and were promptly handed “lunch bags” of dog doodoo at the airport. Dissing the USMC is par for the course. May God forgive them.

Zorro on September 25, 2007 at 8:07 PM

Does the city of San Francisco not know who is responsible for defending their freedom to be nutty?

SoulGlo on September 25, 2007 at 10:07 PM

The really sad thing is that I am not the LEAST bit surprised bythis story. It’s typical San Francisco. It seems ages ago but ten years ago the ship I was stationed on had its homeport in Alameda, CA which is just across the bay from San Francisco. That base along with multiple others were closed down in the mid 90′s.

Yakko77 on September 25, 2007 at 10:30 PM

Disgusting leftist morons. These vain, immoral douchebags probably think that by interfering with a military recruiting ad, they’re somehow working for “peace”. Mrs. Coyote’s moonbat husband also donated to Kucinich and Howard Dean in ’04. As a Manhattan native, I was glad to hear that when the USMC Drill Team wanted to film an ad in New York yesterday morning, the city blocked off Times Square for them.

Travis Bickle on September 25, 2007 at 10:42 PM

Professor Blather on September 25, 2007 at 4:16 PM

You know as well as I do and as do the citizens of SF, that when the wolf comes knocking, all of the people that the good citizens of SF hate, will answer the door because we do have the most professional military on the planet. I should know, I have had the pleasure of serving with them these last 23 1/2 years and have been training the best and brightest this country has to offer since May.

There was a t-shirt many years ago (from Desert Shield/Storm) that had a pict of a hippie, complete with picket sign and peace symbol, beside a Peacekeeper (F-?), complete with the arsenal of weapons, and with the caption, “when trouble starts which peacekeeper do you want?”

I have come to the conclusion that most of the far left have the misconception that the fact they were born gives them all the rights under the Constitution and if the military was abolished tomorrow, they would continue to have those freedoms. Parents or public education??

Claimsratt on September 25, 2007 at 10:52 PM

Sorry, it is late and I appear to be rambling.

Claimsratt on September 25, 2007 at 10:53 PM

Ramble on Claimsratt – love to hear those who served, and still do. You’re the best among us and it’s so good that you are also here on HA. Thank you all, for all.

Entelechy on September 26, 2007 at 12:32 AM

Carpet Bomb San Fransisco but tell Savage first so he can escape and come back to N.Y. Also make sure the Giants are home this way we can solve the whole Bonds steroids issue too.

Joey1974 on September 26, 2007 at 6:58 AM

Defector01 on September 25, 2007 at 2:59 PM

Welcome to Reaganlandia

Joey1974 on September 26, 2007 at 8:24 AM

I doubt there will be many protests for this weekend’s gayla event: http://www.folsomstreetfair.com/
Yawanna see some Pride of the Left? This will be a bonanza.
I absolutely hope Zombie is out with camera.

SJBill on September 26, 2007 at 9:24 AM