Oh good: Another poll confirms that Americans hate atheists

posted at 4:06 pm on September 25, 2007 by Allahpundit

I’m moving to France, where I’ll be appreciated and les iPhones are cheap and plentiful.

pew5.png

Actually, the money data at the link has to do with souring public perceptions of Islam, which held relatively steady between 2002 and 2005 or so and then started to tilt downwards presumably because of the intractable Sunni/Shiite standoff in Iraq. Here’s the most interesting result. As usual, familiarity breeds acceptance, but if I’m right in my reading of the post-2005 uptick in, ahem, “Islamophobia” then it’s not American Muslims people are worried about.

pew41.png

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I have to point out that the only thing Atheists have in common is a lack of a belief in a higher being. After that, all bets are off.

Krydor on September 25, 2007 at 5:36 PM

Some think that they all have 666 tattooed on their rear ends.

MB4 on September 25, 2007 at 5:47 PM

Atheists may become more sympathetic figures, if they make clear that, while they do not believe in the next world, they do believe in the next life.

Kralizec on September 25, 2007 at 5:48 PM

Yikes…Entelechy, Allahpundit and me all posting simultaneously…I feel violated…like a respawn-death in Quake

Ochlan on September 25, 2007 at 4:43 PM

Add also Darth Executor.

Entelechy on September 25, 2007 at 5:49 PM

Atheists may become more sympathetic figures, if they make clear that, while they do not believe in the next world, they do believe in the next life wife.

Kralizec on September 25, 2007 at 5:48 PM

MB4 on September 25, 2007 at 5:50 PM

Some think that they all have 666 tattooed on their rear ends.

That is completely ridiculous, slanderous, and wrong: everyone knows it’s 333, showing they are halfway to hell.

TheEJS on September 25, 2007 at 5:50 PM

MB4 at 5:44 and at 5:50 LOL!

bridgetown on September 25, 2007 at 5:51 PM

Some think that they all have 666 tattooed on their rear ends.

MB4

Rule one of Atheist Club?

Don’t talk about the killer tats

Rule Two?

Don’t talk about the killer tats

The populace has been lulled in to a sleep-like state. WE STRIKE AT NOON ON SATURDAY. We can’t on Sunday, because we’ll be watching football. Well, maybe if the second slate of games suck, we might strike then. But you never know, the networks have been cutting away from the blowouts to more competitive games.

Krydor on September 25, 2007 at 5:51 PM

MB4, You’re helping, you’re helping! Who else with me to make this thread so funny it can’t devolve into another flame war?

RushBaby on September 25, 2007 at 5:52 PM

Some think that they all have 666 tattooed on their rear ends.

Like a tramp stamp?

Slublog on September 25, 2007 at 5:54 PM

I myself have a strong dislike for most mainstream atheists, if only because they tend to make the rest of us nontheists look like a$$es too.

the goddess anna on September 25, 2007 at 5:55 PM

OK how about this – In the spirit of grand compromise and brotherly and sisterly love all believers and non-believers will henceforth convert to Frisbeetarianism?

Deal?

MB4 on September 25, 2007 at 5:56 PM

Depends. Orthodox Frisbeetarianism, or the newfangled Unitarian kind?

Slublog on September 25, 2007 at 5:58 PM

Most Americans still probably think of Madalyn Murray O’Hair and that turd in California who was suing over the Pledge of Allegiance when they hear the word “atheist.” So it’s easy to see where the unfavorable sentiment comes from.

Alternatively, you’d also think they’d think of UBL, Khomenei, and Zawahiri when they think about Islam. But according to this poll they’re all-but ready for the calliphate! So there might be some issues with my theory.

Blacklake on September 25, 2007 at 5:59 PM

Wanting someone to burn in hell for eternity probably goes a bit beyond disdain.

MB4 on September 25, 2007 at 5:24 PM

Of course, it also goes beyond Christian heterodoxy.

Wanting someone to burn in hell? Who does that?

TexasDan on September 25, 2007 at 6:00 PM

Depends. Orthodox Frisbeetarianism, or the newfangled Unitarian kind?

Slublog on September 25, 2007 at 5:58 PM

When in doubt always go with the original.

MB4 on September 25, 2007 at 6:00 PM

Whew. I’m just glad you weren’t serious. Next time, throw us a “/” or something.

Slublog on September 25, 2007 at 5:46 PM

Yeah, I really wasn’t sure either, I’m glad he was just goofing on people.

Bad Candy on September 25, 2007 at 6:02 PM

Wanting someone to burn in hell? Who does that?

TexasDan on September 25, 2007 at 6:00 PM

Their is a very fine line between wanting and predicting.

MB4 on September 25, 2007 at 6:05 PM

Wanting someone to burn in hell? Who does that?

TexasDan on September 25, 2007 at 6:00 PM

Beat me to it. No Christian wants anyone to burn in hell. They’re actually supposed to try to stop it from happening, not play the “my faith will keep me from burning in hell, that’s what you get, silly nonbeliever …toldyaso, toldyaso game.”

hollygolightly on September 25, 2007 at 6:07 PM

the atheists on YouTube are something else, complete nutters by far and away the most offensive people there. Luckily they are completely different to most atheists i have ever met or known of.

zane on September 25, 2007 at 5:45 PM

Maybe, but these types are all over online, not just the numbskulls on youtube, and for most people online, those are usually the types of Atheists people see, I’ll be honest, most Atheists that I’ve met or seen online are pretty well inline with what that youtube commenter said.

Or if that isn’t the case, they think of bastards like Hitch, Harris or Dawkins, or that douchebag Michael Newdow.

Bad Candy on September 25, 2007 at 6:08 PM

I like pie

Ochlan on September 25, 2007 at 4:52 PM

I like turtles.

Bad Candy on September 25, 2007 at 4:53 PM

I like curvy, shapely brunettes.

darwin on September 25, 2007 at 6:09 PM

How would we know it was him if he showed up?

RushBaby on September 25, 2007 at 5:35 PM

If anyone asks you if you have an iPod, shoot first and ask questions later?

MB4 on September 25, 2007 at 5:44 PM

You two made me laugh, again. Thank you both.

…everyone knows it’s 333, showing they are halfway to hell.

TheEJS on September 25, 2007 at 5:50 PM

No, no, no – it’s actually 101, really!

Entelechy on September 25, 2007 at 6:11 PM

Wanting someone to burn in hell? Who does that?

TexasDan

Anyone who is a fan of a team coached by Norv Turner. There’s three cities full of people wishing him a firey torment.

Yeah, I have football on the brain.

Krydor on September 25, 2007 at 6:12 PM

I like curvy, shapely brunettes.

darwin on September 25, 2007 at 6:09 PM

See, I really, really like curvy shapely brunettes…or redheads.

Bad Candy on September 25, 2007 at 6:13 PM

Krydor on September 25, 2007 at 5:36 PM

This seems to be another point of review for atheists. It seems good for atheists to consider whether they really believe in no higher being whatsoever. Doing so seems to require considering what the high may be and what being and a being may be. Starting and ending with the people’s definition of god seems a dubious way for a would-be atheist to proceed.

Kralizec on September 25, 2007 at 6:20 PM

Any takers for Scott Linehan? Oh yes and I prefer my brunettes really really curvy or red headed. Something like that.

Nyog_of_the_Bog on September 25, 2007 at 6:23 PM

bj1126 on September 25, 2007 at 5:11 PM

You lacked nuance. :)

SouthernDem on September 25, 2007 at 6:24 PM

I like curvy, shapely brunettes.

darwin on September 25, 2007 at 6:09 PM
See, I really, really like curvy shapely brunettes…or redheads.

Bad Candy on September 25, 2007 at 6:13 PM

Excuse me gentlemen, but what’s up with all the blonde hatin’???

hollygolightly on September 25, 2007 at 6:25 PM

Wanting someone to burn in hell? Who does that?

TexasDan on September 25, 2007 at 6:00 PM
I do. Imagine my disappointment.

Kralizec on September 25, 2007 at 6:27 PM

That was supposed to be block-quotation, not striking text, in my previous comment.

Kralizec on September 25, 2007 at 6:29 PM

Move to France, but they won’t like your libertarian views. As a non-French speaking American with such right wing views, they will have nothing but disdain for you. Then when they allow sharia to come to fruition in France, you will be in an ironic pickle having fled a Christian democracy for an islamic theocracy.

Eventually, WWIII will break out in Europe, and America, that loathsome land of Christianity that you resent almost as much as Rosie O’Donnell and our Hollywood dilettantes, will have to come to the rescue once again. Right now, the only thing standing in the way between Islam and world domination is Christian America. Not America. Not leftist America. Not blue state America. Not California. Not New York. Not Hollywood. Christian America.

jihadwatcher on September 25, 2007 at 6:30 PM

Excuse me gentlemen, but what’s up with all the blonde hatin’???

hollygolightly on September 25, 2007 at 6:25 PM

Not hatin’, I just like girls with dark hair. There are plenty of cute girls that are blondes too.

Bad Candy on September 25, 2007 at 6:31 PM

Excuse me gentlemen, but what’s up with all the blonde hatin’???

hollygolightly on September 25, 2007 at 6:25 PM

Maybe not hatin’ so much. After all, what to you get when you turn blondes upside down? A brunette!

RushBaby on September 25, 2007 at 6:31 PM

Kralizec

Ah, there’s a slight misinterpretation here. In an ideal situation, someone else’s definition of God/lack of devotion to same is utterly irrelevant to me.

If someone is using an ideology (any ideology) to persue an agenda of totalitarianism, then the rules change.

Krydor on September 25, 2007 at 6:34 PM

RushBaby on September 25, 2007 at 6:31 PM

Please don’t finish the joke, I’m begging you!

hollygolightly on September 25, 2007 at 6:37 PM

Excuse me gentlemen, but what’s up with all the blonde hatin’???

hollygolightly on September 25, 2007 at 6:25 PM

I’m not hatin’ on blondes–quite the opposite, in fact. Mine’s a keeper. Although I’d do the same if she had any other hair color.

ReubenJCogburn on September 25, 2007 at 6:38 PM

hollygolightly on September 25, 2007 at 6:37 PM

sorreeeeee

RushBaby on September 25, 2007 at 6:39 PM

Excuse me gentlemen, but what’s up with all the blonde hatin’???

They haven’t evolved to that state of enlightenment yet!

Spirit of 1776 on September 25, 2007 at 6:39 PM

sorreeeeee

RushBaby on September 25, 2007 at 6:39 PM

Haha, obviously I was kidding. Assuming you knew the FULL punchline though, I had to beg for mercy!

ReubenJCogburn on September 25, 2007 at 6:38 PM

I’m sure she expects nothing less since I take blonde jokes all the time!

Excuse me gentlemen, but what’s up with all the blonde hatin’???
They haven’t evolved to that state of enlightenment yet!

Spirit of 1776 on September 25, 2007 at 6:39 PM

I KNEW I could count on you, dear Spirit!

hollygolightly on September 25, 2007 at 6:51 PM

hollygolightly on September 25, 2007 at 6:51 PM

Moi would never go there. This is a Family Blog!

RushBaby on September 25, 2007 at 6:55 PM

Moi would never go there. This is a Family Blog!

RushBaby on September 25, 2007 at 6:55 PM

Strong work then. Oh, and nice save with the “moi” by keeping us OT since apparently our darling AP is moving to France to get a cheapter iPhone!! Disgraceful.

hollygolightly on September 25, 2007 at 7:05 PM

It’s the evangelical atheists that give the whole religion a bad name.

Buzzy on September 25, 2007 at 7:07 PM

One of my best friends is an atheist and seems to find himself so enlightened strictly b/c of this. It’s that kind of mentality that bugs me. He can believe whatever he wants and try to change my mind all he wants, but he acts like Christianity is just sooo ridiculous. Very hypocritical.

hollygolightly on September 25, 2007 at 7:16 PM

I am almost 70 years old. I grew up on a farm. I have been in the military. I have been in churches, libraries, and many public and private buildings. I have been in parks, on bridges, in airplanes, and on ships. I have been to several states and a few countries. But I have never meet a being that confessed to being a god, the god, or God. When he presents himself in reality, then I will accept. Until then “God” is just a goofy idea that gets people killed.

Franklin Hill on September 25, 2007 at 7:19 PM

No, no, no – it’s actually 101, really!

Entelechy on September 25, 2007 at 6:11 PM

G.O.’s room 101?

MB4 on September 25, 2007 at 7:33 PM

Scheisse, I have you stomped MB4! I can’t believe it!

Shhhhhh – it’s really dumb, but as youngsters, on the day (in Jan/Feb) when we’d have these parties during which people would dress up (similar to Halloween), and do all kinds of strange things, a group would invariably walk through town, asking the unsuspecting how you spell 101, with just two numbers? Then they’d show them an upside-down person in a box, with a 1 on each ‘cheak’. Gosh, I hope not to get banned over something this stupid.

Entelechy on September 25, 2007 at 7:52 PM

Until then “God” is just a goofy idea that gets people killed. Franklin Hill on September 25, 2007 at 7:19 PM

What’s the ‘gets people killed part from’? Do you mean Jihad?

It’s that kind of mentality that bugs me. He can believe whatever he wants and try to change my mind all he wants, but he acts like Christianity is just sooo ridiculous. Very hypocritical. hollygolightly on September 25, 2007 at 7:16 PM

I hear that! One of the great advantages of limited vision is SO much certainty in the small window of life that’s seen. I do, honestly, believe that faith requires humility b/c requires vision beyond self.

As to these numbers: Here are my thoughts AP. I think they are historical roots for this. To fear Islam over atheism acknowledges only the recent (for Americans, not world) events. In the context of American history, however, the visible effects of militant atheism are much bloodier.

Moreover, some of those perceptions have shame attached. For example, specifically the French Revolution. Many Americans cheered the FR and the rise of ‘reason’, and an atheistic national view. When that turned sour in 2-fold, both blood-shed there, and war w/ England here – that left a scar in the American memory I think. And I think when horrors were revived on the world stage, whether in Russia or wherever, there is a part of in the American mind that considers that the distinction point between liberty American style and liberty guillotine style. Conscious or not, I think it’s there.

As Islam inflicts more causalities close to home and hearth, that may change.

Spirit of 1776 on September 25, 2007 at 7:55 PM

Entelechy on September 25, 2007 at 7:52 PM

Oh, my. First I have heard of this strange and pagan ritual. Good thing we have all these atheist threads in order that I might be informed about such obscure and exotic rites.

RushBaby on September 25, 2007 at 7:59 PM

Anytime atheism, immigration or homosexuality is brought up here at Hot Air, the bigots come out of the woodwork. This really is a right-wing Kos.

The Sinner on September 25, 2007 at 8:10 PM

I’m sure she expects nothing less since I take blonde jokes all the time!

hollygolightly on September 25, 2007 at 6:51 PM

Heck, she’s been the one to tell me blonde jokes before. As long as they’re funny and the people telling them aren’t obnoxious, it doesn’t bother her.

(She also has a nearly infinite list of cheap pickup lines that guys have tried on her. Although she’d never heard “I’m not Fred Flintstone, but I can make your Bedrock” before she met me.)

ReubenJCogburn on September 25, 2007 at 8:13 PM

Scheisse, I have you stomped MB4! I can’t believe it!

Entelechy on September 25, 2007 at 7:52 PM

I hope you meant stumped not stomped! Stomped could break my bones.

I was guessing that you were referring to George Orwell’s room 101 from “1984″.

“Room 101 is a torture chamber in the Ministry of Love in which a prisoner is subjected to his or her own worst nightmare. Such is the omniscience of the state in the society of Nineteen Eighty-Four that even a citizen’s nightmares are known to the authorities.”

MB4 on September 25, 2007 at 8:15 PM

Blame Hitch, Newdow, Dawkins, Communists, & the French for our low opinion of atheists.

jgapinoy on September 25, 2007 at 8:23 PM

I hope you meant stumped not stomped! Stomped could break my bones.

MB4 on September 25, 2007 at 8:15 PM

Jawohl, stumped, my bad :( Your idea was a good one, though.

Entelechy on September 25, 2007 at 8:31 PM

As a Conservative Christian the only thing I hate more than an atheist is a homosexual……

bj1126 on September 25, 2007 at 4:30 PM

You are neither a conservative or a Christian… you are a troll.

Maxx on September 25, 2007 at 8:38 PM

Atheists do blow things up, as well as torture and murder innocent people in other places of the world, but since they don’t kill Westerners in general and Americans in particular I guess it doesn’t matter.

Really, where? You know, I’m not trying to minimize the atheist component of communism — in fact, I’ve even criticized Hitchens on this site for doing so — but this blithe equation some of you guys make between the two can get annoying…”

Wait a minute, aren’t you just

“congratulating yourself for good behavior?”

Or is it only Christians who are not allowed to defend themselves from unfair comparisons?

Renae on September 25, 2007 at 8:56 PM

jgapinoy

Erm, um, ok, so then, like, you know, because I don’t have a low opinion of Christians, I should have one based on the Inquisition, the Crusades, collusion with Nazis before and after WWII and every slick used car salesman cum televangelist I’ve ever seen? Certainly doesn’t jibe with too many Christians I know, but what the heck, this isn’t about trying to understand anyone, just labeling them and casting them aside.

By the way, Hitchens doth surely rock in all manner of things.

Krydor on September 25, 2007 at 9:49 PM

… a group would invariably walk through town, asking the unsuspecting how you spell 101, with just two numbers? Then they’d show them an upside-down person in a box, with a 1 on each ‘cheak’. Gosh, I hope not to get banned over something this stupid.

Entelechy on September 25, 2007 at 7:52 PM

Cheeky!

Gives a whole new meaning to Fa[r]sching…

RD on September 25, 2007 at 10:09 PM

As the yogin told Carl Jung (who wondered what the Turtle on whose back the universe was balanced on was balanced on itself):

Sorry, doc, it’s turtles all the way down.”

Heraclitus thought it was Fire.

The Hindus say it’s Brahma, and 9 billion attendant offshoots.

The Jews said God created the Devil to make his Job easier.

So many Gods, so little time.

But, one thing I do know:

No pedophile prophets.

profitsbeard on September 25, 2007 at 10:30 PM

jihadwatcher on September 25, 2007 at 6:30 PM

Yes, I know. You haven’t the slightest idea how grateful I am, and safe I feel to be here with my family in Christian America. Thank you.

JiangxiDad on September 25, 2007 at 10:40 PM

allah I would suggest that it is precisely their non-belief that makes them seek the economic incentive. That’s all they have to believe in. Money and power are the only things they can use to derive any pleasure from this life.

CCRWM on September 25, 2007 at 10:42 PM

Can we please get back to curvy, shapely brunettes???
Pretty please?

Herikutsu on September 25, 2007 at 11:06 PM

I’m with you. Linky!~Linky!

*reveling*

RushBaby on September 25, 2007 at 11:39 PM

Gives a whole new meaning to Fa[r]sching…

RD on September 25, 2007 at 10:09 PM

Now, that was clever!

Entelechy on September 26, 2007 at 12:20 AM

“Infidel” atheists are not a threat to USA and the western civilization in general. Idiots and jihadists are.

Christians have to understand that ethical and serious atheists are their best and natural allies in the current struggle against mohammedan fanatics and nihilistic post-modernism.

Syndic Nuruodo on September 26, 2007 at 12:32 AM

Slublog:

“I don’t know about that. I’ve never had an atheist show up at my door with some literature for me to read.”

The inevitable consequence of attempting to prove a negative.

JM Hanes on September 26, 2007 at 12:41 AM

Well, let’s see… Why would Americans have an unfavorable view of atheists? Hrm… Well, when atheists’ most public and vocal figures are people like Ellen Johnson, Michael Newdow, Prof. PZ Myers, Richard Dawkins, etc. whose rabid hostility towards and unabashed contempt for religion and the religious are often on full display (along with their jackassery), is it any wonder? Get these people to stop attacking things like Nativity scenes and the U.S. Pledge of Allegiance and get their stupid statements off the front pages and see what happens to atheists’ approval ratings.

JinxMcHue on September 26, 2007 at 1:11 AM

None of the four names you mention is even in my list of “I know who they are” names.

No one should have to say “under God” when pledging Allegiance to his own country. That is clearly wrong.

And how about Christianity getting it’s own house in order first before throwing so many stones. How about getting Dobson to stop going around questioning other professing Christians Christianity? Was he appointed by some league of Cardinals or something?

MB4 on September 26, 2007 at 1:22 AM

Nyog_of_the_Bog:

“Notice in the top pole, mainline protestants are not even considered.”

It was a pretty striking omission, IMO. The conflation of Protestants and Evangelicals that is now so common seriously distorts the big picture and the resulting public dialogue.

On the general topic of atheists’ negatives, unfortunately, when they actually cross the public’s radars, they’re usually trying to make a lot of other folks stop doing things they want to keep doing.

JM Hanes on September 26, 2007 at 2:56 AM

There are no atheists after death.

Mojave Mark on September 26, 2007 at 7:56 AM

It’s not “Christianity” that needs fixing but people who profess to be Christians and act otherwise … like me. I’m Christian and find it awfully hard to love my neighbors … especially when I’m “right” and they’re “wrong” and they won’t admit it even after I’ve told them over and over what ignorant, brain-dead fools they are and that I hope they rot in … (breath deep … deep breaths … )

Rod on September 26, 2007 at 9:18 AM

bj1126 on September 25, 2007 at 4:30 PM

As a Bible-believing Christian, I say on the authority of Scripture that you are dead wrong here.

I do not blame atheists for being atheists when so-called, “professing Christians” acknowledge Jesus Christ with their lips in church and then walk out the door and DENY JESUS CHRIST with their lifestyle.

bj1126 on September 25, 2007 at 4:30 PM
You are neither a conservative or a Christian… you are a troll.

Maxx on September 25, 2007 at 8:38 PM

Excellent point.

ColtsFan on September 26, 2007 at 9:59 AM

Excuse me gentlemen, but what’s up with all the blonde hatin’???

hollygolightly on September 25, 2007 at 6:25 PM

Hey now, I really like blonds. But that mostly because they usually make me feel smart… :)

doriangrey on September 26, 2007 at 11:39 AM

jihadwatcher on September 25, 2007 at 6:30 PM

While I agree that Christians will pose the greatest resistance to jihad and islam in general (and that is precisely why I count them as allies), it is wrong that Christian America is “the only thing” which is resistant to jihad and islam. This ex-Christian gay atheist despises jihad and islam, and there are also plenty of Christians and non-Christians in Europe who are resistant to jihad and islam. It is the power structure and the media of Europe which prevents them from having a voice, and I think that is very sad because my own heritage is European and I will hate watching beautiful Europe being turned into an Islamic craphole.

You’re not as important as you think you are, Christian. You need allies, too.

Loundry on September 26, 2007 at 1:27 PM

It’s not “Christianity” that needs fixing

Rod on September 26, 2007 at 9:18 AM

I disagree. The whole “born bad” and “guilt complex” parts of Christianity blow pony. You should reform your religion and kick those negative aspects to the curve. At that point, maybe I’ll consider becoming a Christian, but not before.

Loundry on September 26, 2007 at 1:29 PM

To the CURB, that is.

Loundry on September 26, 2007 at 1:30 PM

doriangrey on September 26, 2007 at 11:39 AM

Oh, you’re on my list now…and I don’t mean my Christmas List!!

hollygolightly on September 26, 2007 at 1:39 PM