Apocalypse now: Forbes names American’s top ten most influential pundits

posted at 12:37 pm on September 25, 2007 by Allahpundit

I’m not going to say a word. I’m just going to give you the list.

1. Roger Ebert
2. Bill Maher
3. Bill O’Reilly
4. Al Franken
5. Geraldo Rivera
6. Rosie O’Donnell
7. Leonard Maltin
8. Greta Van Susteren
9. Lou Dobbs
10. Bill Walton [Bill Walton? -- ed.]

Exit question: No one from conservative talk radio? And no Oprah?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Opening shots:

- if they have tangibly affected an election, they ought to be on the list.

- if they have put a book on the NY Times Bestseller list, and then removed it, each with a single appearance on television, they ought to be on the list…

Jaibones on September 25, 2007 at 3:03 PM

If you look at the Forbes criteria, it’s not hard to see how the list turned out as it did. They are measuring the same things advertisers look for. A lot of advertisers avoid Rush and Hannity because they are so “controversial,” (which is more related to actual punditry, but what the hey). Rosie and Bill Maher should fall into that same category, but don’t because they don’t get bad press from the MSM.

Karl on September 25, 2007 at 3:05 PM

Greta the Ghoul

Say what?? Great isn’t a ghoul, what’s that all about – that is your remark about her?

AprilOrit on September 25, 2007 at 3:19 PM

It’s obvious that whoever created this list cares about movies much more than they do world affairs!

it was meant to be broad spectrum, not just politics.

AprilOrit on September 25, 2007 at 3:20 PM

Ebert’s syndicated in tons of newspapers and has a popular TV show. I don’t think they’re talking about his political opinions.

I don’t agree. You have to remember that unlike the commenters here most people don’t constantly obsess about world affairs in the quite the same way. A lot of people wouldn’t be able to.

aengus on September 25, 2007 at 3:20 PM

They are measuring the same things advertisers look for.

Karl on September 25, 2007 at 3:05 PM

The “audience” who was consulted – “people” aged 25 to 54 earning $50,000 a year is a very broad category and that is not generally how advertisers target their message.

For every advertiser who may shy away from Rush because he is “controversial” there are tons of advertisers who choose to advertise with him because of his phenomenal ratings and, because of an audience which is clearly defined by age, education, income, et cetera.

Buy Danish on September 25, 2007 at 3:31 PM

The pages of Forbes Magazine seem to be full of nonsense.

jaime on September 25, 2007 at 3:32 PM

Here’s TWELVE for you. Influence this:

Sean Hannity
Rush Limbaugh
Michelle Malkin
Bill O’Reilly
Allahpundit
Laura Ingraham
Newt Gingrich
Bill Kristol
Bill Bennett
Ben Stein
Ann Coulter
Thomas Sowell

Roger Ebert? “So I was gonna go to this movie, but then Roger said…” I guess that’s influence. Inconsequential influence.
Al Franken and Rosie O’Donnell? Well, I guess they influence in the sense of reminding us how not to act when the cameras are rolling.
The rest of their list is just plain silly.

Rational Thought on September 25, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Rational Thought on September 25, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Good list. I’d also add Mark Steyn to the list – of right wing pundits.

In fairness there are Left wing “pundits” who should be on the list also. Think of all the little Goreacles out there, not to mention all the people who hang on every word that people like Alec Baldwin utter.

Buy Danish on September 25, 2007 at 3:46 PM

Rational Thought on September 25, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Absolutely. Movies have no consequence or effect on our culture.

Dolt.

And ONLY conservative pundits — Ben Stein, for God sakes, count as the most influential in America?

Your list is more farcical than Forbes’ is.

Christoph on September 25, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Maybe it’s not the true list. Seems like a rude leftist intercepted it and changed it before publication. Forbes is a business/conservative publication for the most part. This makes them look like real jerks.

countywolf on September 25, 2007 at 4:00 PM

If Al Franken gets on a few more lists like this, who knows, he might be able to get a radio program to stay afloat.

Dusty on September 25, 2007 at 4:10 PM

Forbes is full of shiit.

georgej on September 25, 2007 at 4:38 PM

Your list is more farcical than Forbes’ is.

Christoph on September 25, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Hardly. His list at least understands the difference between popularity and punditry. And Ben Stein is often a bit wobbly as a”conservative”, like here:

Whatever rationale there may have been in 2001 for lowering their taxes is long gone. It’s time for them — us, because it includes me — to pay their (our) share.

Stein makes a great point in the article about the “super rich” and the military but then wants to rescind tax cuts that benefited everyone, including the middle class.

Buy Danish on September 25, 2007 at 4:58 PM

By the APPARENT criteria of choosing for this list, you would think that they would have selected Jon Stewart. (I’m not a fan of his, but he seems to be more influential at shaping opinions of the ‘hoi-pelloi’ than most of the people who did make the list.)

By the inclusion of the others, O’Reilly and Dobbs don’t belong on the list at all.

Now, on a REAL list of the top ten influential pundits, O’Reilly might make it. Dobbs would miss the cutoff by at least five.

I might have taken Maltin’s advice on a movie once. The rest; geeze, even if you took politics out of the equation, I wouldn’t give them a combined total of five minutes of attention a week.

If this is an example of Forbes accuracy, I might find myself as a member of the Forbes 400 next go around.

LegendHasIt on September 25, 2007 at 5:11 PM

That was naughty.

Okay then, she’s not a nut.

Jim Treacher on September 25, 2007 at 5:35 PM

That was naughty.

Okay then, she’s not a nut.

Jim Treacher on September 25, 2007 at 5:35 PM

Exit question:

If you had a book to sell whom do you have pitch it? This whole list or only one of these two; Bill O’Reilly and or Oprah…

And if you had only one choice; Oprah or anyone else on earth?

right2bright on September 25, 2007 at 5:52 PM

I think we’ve been punked by Forbes. That’s the only explanation.

trigon on September 25, 2007 at 6:05 PM

Rational Thought on September 25, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Absolutely. Movies have no consequence or effect on our culture.

Dolt.

Your list is more farcical than Forbes’ is.

Christoph on September 25, 2007 at 3:48 PM

I don’t know, I’ve always just found that movies are, you know, movies. I don’t find them particularly consequential, but perhaps I’m naive…or a dolt. I suppose Al Gore’s film was consequential, for awhile, but now the backlash seems to have moved the consequence in the other direction.

But pundits who can beat back the US Congress on amnesty, bring out thousands of protesters when an Ivy League college invites a tyrant to speak, and stop Al Gore from stealing a US election, now that’s some bitchin’ consequence.

And I’m an old softy for Ben Stein. He loves his kid so much. And his money. He loves that, too. I love people who love their kids and love their money.

Rational Thought on September 25, 2007 at 7:13 PM

Nice list! What did they do? Pull the names out of hat?

1. Roger Ebert – Didn’t know he was still alive.
2. Bill Maher – Maybe only one of two names that belong on the top ten, but waaaay too high.
3. Bill O’Reilly – The other name that belongs on here, but maybe closer to 5 than 3.
4. Al Franken – Failed talk show host, loser, only influential if count puking at the sound of his name.
5. Geraldo Rivera – What?!?
6. Rosie O’Donnell – *See Al Franken*
7. Leonard Maltin – What?!?
8. Greta Van Susteren – Maybe in the Top 20
9. Lou Dobbs – Maybe 10………..nah, maybe not. Top 20
10. Bill Walton – I guess Forbes’ forte is not sports. Ever heard of Bob Costas, Jim Rome, Rick Reilly, John Madden, Al Michaels, etc, etc, etc. I don’t know if Bill Walton makes the Top 10 pundits for sports only.

I guess Top 10′s aren’t what they used to be. This is not even a top 10 “Top 10″ as far as the quality of their selections. As much as I couldn’t care less what she has to say personally, I guess Forbes has never heard of Oprah before?

PB

Planet Boulder on September 25, 2007 at 7:44 PM

To find out, Forbes analyzed data compiled by market research group E-Poll on more than 60 well-known pundits who follow and critique the worlds of politics, current events, law, entertainment and sports. This is the same group that conducts the polling for the Forbes 08 Tracker presidential poll each month.

While the results show that plenty of cable talking heads like Bill O’Reilly, Lou Dobbs and Geraldo Rivera score highly, the most powerful pundit in America is veteran film critic Roger Ebert, who appeals to 70% of the demographic and whose long career makes him well known to well over half the population. A longtime writer for the Chicago Sun-Times, he’s been offering up his cinematic views on television with partners Gene Siskel (from 1975-1999) and Richard Roeper (since 1999) for 32 years.

AprilOrit on September 25, 2007 at 8:20 PM

Dusty on September 25, 2007 at 4:10 PM

I second that.

Let’s all vote for Al Franken and see if it works.

Mcguyver on September 25, 2007 at 8:40 PM

Everybody is missing the obvious,which Parallel
Universe did Forbes make the list in.Hehe

canopfor on September 25, 2007 at 8:58 PM

Everybody is missing the obvious,which Parallel
Universe did Forbes make the list in.Hehe

It’s called the Parallel Universe we live in, this is very mainstream opinions, not Right Wing or Right Leaning.

AprilOrit on September 25, 2007 at 9:25 PM

Holy crap! I hadn’t read the list when I posted earlier, I simply wanted to bring you that funny clip of Larry the Cable Guy unloading on Rosie…. But wtf is up with that list? So much wrong, I’m not even going to comment specifically. Just utterly wrong and stupid.

RightWinged on September 25, 2007 at 10:00 PM

Well, Rosie is one or two things with the letters “u,” “t,” and “n,” but I’m not sure “pundit” is one of them.

Jim Treacher on September 25, 2007 at 1:28 PM

Let’s see… a ‘dipnut’?

RD on September 25, 2007 at 10:39 PM

Rational Thought on September 25, 2007 at 7:13 PM

I think the movie Primary Colors helped solidify liberal support for Billy Jeff and the Glacier. Liberals put a lot of stock into Hollywood product. I work maintenance at a tiny junior college and I often see Hollywood movies shown in class, like history or psychology.

Great points! Ding ding ding, 1st prize.

silverfox on September 26, 2007 at 4:56 AM

Christoph on September 25, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Hasn’t the word dolt been declared archaic by the dictionary people yet?

Do you say things like “Bah, humbug!” too?

silverfox on September 26, 2007 at 5:02 AM