Video: There are no gays in Iran, says Ahmadinejad; Update: Photos — Iran executes gays

posted at 3:18 pm on September 24, 2007 by Allahpundit

I’ve got Bollinger’s surprising, much-lauded speech coming up, but enjoy this as a snack. Some rare derisive laughter from the audience greets this little pearl.

Maybe it was a translation error and he meant “There will be no gays in Iran”?

Update: Omri Ceren has photos of the notorious incident linked above. People are treating the clip as comic relief but it’s revelatory of his totalitarian mindset: if a fact, like the Holocaust, is especially inconvenient, simply wish it away.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

They just call homosexuals by another name– SWINGERS

Bicyea on September 24, 2007 at 5:06 PM

You know, we don’t have them in the Senate either.
/snicker

faraway on September 24, 2007 at 5:11 PM

if a fact, like the Holocaust, is especially inconvenient, simply wish it away.

Iran’s final solution to the homosexual problem.

BohicaTwentyTwo on September 24, 2007 at 5:13 PM

When I read the headline I thought oh, no – is this what it’s gonna take for Ahmadinejad to get bad press in this country? You know, nevermind the IEDs, dead American heroes, the hostages…This guy just commited a hate crime!

Dork B. on September 24, 2007 at 5:18 PM

This isn’t a free speech issue. This isn’t about whether he has a right. This is about whether is it right or wrong. You do not give this lunatic a platform to speak while United States soldiers are dying at the hands of his regime.

He is an enemy of the state. When you give him this debating platform, you are legitimizing his opinions and perspective. He does not deserve a debate at the hands of an American University. He is a Jew-hating fascist that wants to wipe Israel off the face of the Earth and spread Neo-Islamic fascism principles. He represents all that is wrong and evil in this world and Columbia University is giving him his platform to spew his propaganda. We are at war and Columbia University should be ashamed. They should have any federal funds pulled immediately. This is the same University that doesn’t let ROTC on campus but lets a leader of a terrorist state spew his propaganda.

Absolutely appalling!

msipes on September 24, 2007 at 5:22 PM

As for Bolinger’s attack, I agree. It was likely to save his ass… though he was still surprisingly forceful.

RightWinged on September 24, 2007 at 3:53 PM

Surprising forceful…Bollinger called Ahmadinejad a liar a thief and a murderer right to his face and demanded to know where the hell he got off thinking he could visit ground zero, and you describe it as Surprising forceful???

doriangrey on September 24, 2007 at 4:04 PM

Take a deep breath doriangrey. Surprisingly forceful, FOR BOLINGER. Have you paid any attention to this story as it evolved? Bolinger is a f***ing douche, and it is SURPRISING that he would be so condemning of Ahmadinejad. It wasn’t forceful enough if you ask me, but I’m talking about for Bolinger, it was surprising. Get me?

RightWinged on September 24, 2007 at 4:21 PM

No, you are the one that needs to take a deep breath. Yes I was paying attention to how the story evolved. Yes I understand about Bollinger, I get all that ok… Surprisingly forceful Since you obviously did get it the first time, let me rephrase that…Well now, wasn’t that just about the god damn biggest understatement of the century?

doriangrey on September 24, 2007 at 4:27 PM

WTF am I supposed to do, throw Bolinger a parade for his charade? I simply said it was surprising that he was so forceful. I expected him to pretend to throw a couple of curve balls to appease the masses, but he struck out (in the intro) more forcefully than I’d expected, and it WAS a surprise. End of story. I’m not sure what else I need to do here for Bolinger. I gather that I should be on my knees, whatever it is.

RightWinged on September 24, 2007 at 5:25 PM

I am as sickened and appalled by this lunatic as much as everyone else here, but I find this kneejerk defense of gays and their lifestyle to be unnerving as well. Considering the negatives that the gay lifestyle bring to our society, we shouldn’t be letting an idiot like this cause us to defend them and turn our back on moral sanity just to disagree with him.

I am not going to win any fans around here for this comment, but I had to get that off my chest.

BigAnge on September 24, 2007 at 5:29 PM

RightWinged on September 24, 2007 at 5:25 PM

Dude are you really this dense? Seriously? I am utterly stunned by Bollingers comments. Bollinger was a total and complete a$$hole for inviting dinerjacket in the first place and no amount of harsh or tough questions can make up for that. That said however I was simply stating that to say his statement was “Surprisingly forceful” was a major understatement, not that Bollinger should be praised for what he said.

doriangrey on September 24, 2007 at 5:44 PM

BigAnge on September 24, 2007 at 5:29 PM

There is no kneejerk defense of gays here. Nobody here is defending gays or their lifestyle. What you are seeing here is people commenting on Ahmadinejad’s duplicitous and intellectually dishonest answer regarding homosexuality in Iran.

doriangrey on September 24, 2007 at 5:50 PM

I thought the saying was “where men are men and sheep are nervous?” LOL

abinitioadinfinitum on September 24, 2007 at 3:26 PM

Only in Kentucky.

sunny on September 24, 2007 at 3:32 PM

Hey now….watch out. We may have an eye out for our cousins but we draw the line at the livestock.

Tennessee on the other hand….

Proud descendant of Kentuckians from 1790 forward….

Pilgrim on September 24, 2007 at 5:56 PM

Anyone check to see if Amadinajad had a wide stance ?

William Amos on September 24, 2007 at 6:09 PM

Notice how he keeps wiping the drool from the corners of his mouth….I wonder if he knows where that hand has been.

ChrisM on September 24, 2007 at 6:13 PM

BigAnge on September 24, 2007 at 5:29 PM

To echo dorian’s comment, calling out the little dictator for flagrantly lying is hardly a knee-jerk defense of anything but the truth. I honestly don’t see how you think calling a liar a liar is “turning our back on our moral sanity”. Although I don’t think I’d be going out on a limb to guess that most of the commenters here would agree that gays in Iran do have the right not to be slaughtered by their own government. Maybe that’s what you have a problem with?

ReubenJCogburn on September 24, 2007 at 6:18 PM

doriangrey on September 24, 2007 at 5:44 PM

Again, please tell me what it is that I need to say instead of “surprisingly forceful” that would make you happy. I’m not sure why it’s not good enough, so please tell me what language I could have used that would be more suiting to your liking.

RightWinged on September 24, 2007 at 6:24 PM

BigAnge on September 24, 2007 at 5:29 PM

No, plenty of people here condemn homosexuals for what they perceive to be their “perversion”.
What we all object to is the notion that their are no gays in Iran when, in fact, they just kill them.

SouthernDem on September 24, 2007 at 6:26 PM

RightWinged on September 24, 2007 at 6:24 PM

Hmmm, how about “utterly mind blowinglly forceful? Or perhaps..”Holy cr@p that limp wristed milksop POS grew a bowling ball sized set of solid brass malkins”. But surprisingly forceful, its just sooo understated.

doriangrey on September 24, 2007 at 6:40 PM

..and homosexuals in this country are whining about what?

Hening on September 24, 2007 at 6:44 PM

..and homosexuals in this country are whining about what?

Hening on September 24, 2007 at 6:44 PM

Hmmm, that air fare to Iran is to expensive?

doriangrey on September 24, 2007 at 6:53 PM

doriangrey on September 24, 2007 at 6:40 PM

Honestly, I disagree… I think “surprisingly forceful” covers it, because he could have gone a lot further. Bollinger more or less said “it appears like…” and “we’re told that…”, “please prove us wrong Mr. Ahmadinejad”. It would have been “mind blowing”, etc. if he’d said “You’re funding attacks on our troops in Iraq, you worthless piece of sh**! I’ll boot you off this stage if you start spouting proven lies and refuse to answer questions.”, etc. I just wasn’t that blown away by what Bollinger said. I was surprised, but he kind of had to.

RightWinged on September 24, 2007 at 7:10 PM

Cowards hosting a lunatic.

And the lesson learned?

profitsbeard on September 24, 2007 at 7:11 PM

Linkies for all you transcript hounds out there:

Nat’l Press Club

Columbia Univershity

omnipotent on September 24, 2007 at 7:14 PM

While I agree that Bollinger’s hard nose comments were wholely unexpected, I still agree with those who maintain that regardless of what Bollinger or anyone else said or did, the very act of inviting him to an Ivy League University to give a speech legitimizes him and it was flat inappropriate.

In the Middle East, the real target of his talks, Bollinger is going to be lambasted for being an ugly American who insulted his guest and Ahmademajihad is going to be praised for walking into the belly of the beast at one of our most prestigious universities.

Ahmidemijihad was “counting coup”. Regardless of what Bollinger or anyone else said to him he won by the very act of showing up.

deepdiver on September 24, 2007 at 7:16 PM

He would have been well served to skip this one little line. Thank goodness he didn’t conceal all the evil.

Asher on September 24, 2007 at 7:28 PM

So if the left thinks Bush is worse than adinnerjacket than they will agree that Bush should kill all gays. That will make him an equal.

A good campaign slogan for the left…purge the U.S. of gays, send them to Iran.

right2bright on September 24, 2007 at 7:35 PM

And where exactly are NOW and the other feminists on this??

Did you see in the video at http://www.mererhetoric.com/archives/11274175.html

that the criminal age for males is 15, while for girls it is 9? NINE YEARS OLD!!

Ten year old girls can be raped, then hanged for adultery. C’mon, Rosie, tell me again that Christianity is worse that Islam, and that America is worse than Iran.

BTW, now that the Israeli air raid on Syria has shown the vaunted Russian air defense system used by Syria and Iran to be somewhat lacking, we may not be waiting for long.
Our troops are dying from Iranian EFP’s and 240MM rockets, etc., ad nauseum.

fred5678 on September 24, 2007 at 7:39 PM

fred5678 on September 24, 2007 at 7:39 PM

Speaking of lack of leftist outrage… did you notice how uneventful the protests against Ahmadinejad were today? Compare that with the vandalism, violence, and arrests that plague leftist protests with regularity.

RightWinged on September 24, 2007 at 7:47 PM

Gee, that is an intelligent comment, end-of-sentence with a preposition notwithstanding. Nothing quite like the hyperbole of a moron to equate not praising a certain lifestyle with the genocide of it’s membership.

BigAnge on September 24, 2007 at 8:16 PM

RightWinged on September 24, 2007 at 7:47 PM

Excellent observation!

deepdiver on September 24, 2007 at 8:26 PM

If homosexuality is a perversion, what is adultery? What about the player who hooks up with a different girl every other night? Is he perverse or studly? Where is the chart that shows the gradation scale among sinners?

Many people here have long lists of sins for which we will have to answer. Who among us is worthy to judge another’s sinfulness?

I may like my sins more than I like yours, but I’m not sure that GOD sees them as different.

doriangrey and rightwinged:
All this talk of manlove seems to have kindled a little spark between you two.

The Race Card on September 24, 2007 at 8:27 PM

BigAnge on September 24, 2007 at 8:16 PM

Actually I though it much funnier when you did it.

doriangrey on September 24, 2007 at 8:28 PM

The Race Card on September 24, 2007 at 8:27 PM

I’ve been trying to decide if you were a troll for some time now, thanks for clearing that up for me.

doriangrey on September 24, 2007 at 8:31 PM

random***

Ahmadinejad’s suit fit like a used condom. Dude looked disheveled.

The Race Card on September 24, 2007 at 8:33 PM

RE: the over/under on Ahmadinejad’s anti-gay comments used to slam Republican Christians on The Daily Show and/or Colbert Report

Does anyone know if they came through for me on that bet? I figured it was a sure thing and didn’t watch either show.

ScottMcC on September 24, 2007 at 8:51 PM

Michael Savage pointed out that Columbia covered up their name off the podiums.

If Columbia was so proud for their circus, why did they cover their name so that it wouldn’t be seen?

Answer: cowards.

VinceP1974 on September 24, 2007 at 9:05 PM

It’s nice to see to him booed and ridiculed for crushing homosexuals. The oppresseion of the Ba’hais is much worse though. I wish it was more widely known.

aengus on September 24, 2007 at 9:11 PM

When it comes to dealing with the threat from Iran I sometimes think it’s 1937 instad of 2007 at times. Fifty years from now I can’t help but think people will look back at this period in history and ask, “if only they had acted sooner….”

For those who don’t think the current situation concerning Iran is similar to the situation in Europe pre-WWII,

“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.” — Mark Twain

Yakko77 on September 24, 2007 at 9:30 PM

doriangrey and rightwinged:
All this talk of manlove seems to have kindled a little spark between you two.

The Race Card on September 24, 2007 at 8:27 PM

Actually, our conversation wasn’t about the “gay” issue. That said, I’ll borrow (and adjust for the situation) a line from Gutfeld:

“If commenting were soap dispenser, I’d pump him in the bathroom”

(Totally a joke folks. Remember I’m the one you wall hate because I refuse to ignore logic and accept “homosexuality”)

RightWinged on September 24, 2007 at 9:35 PM

The Race Card on September 24, 2007 at 8:27 PM

doriangrey on September 24, 2007 at 8:31 PM

I’m glad to clear that up for you.

I, like you, am not afraid to eschew the typical party line. Unlike you, I don’t know what its like to be correct 100% of the time.

I guess your troll label is supposed to make me question my conservative credentials. Thanks for the impetus.

I want the best for my country and I think Republicans are the best hope for achieving that. I have endured enough from people on the left telling me why I should not be a Republican. So adding you to that list is easy.

Although I avoid partisan rancor, I want the best for my party. And I think that the only way to elicit excellence is to challenge mediocrity. I challenge some of the typical mantras read in the commnet threads. I will continue to do so.

Funny. You insult and attack others; You repeatedly call people’s sanity and knowledge into question. Yet you get a little butthurt when someone throws a joke your way. Amazing

I regret that you see fit to label and stereotype me. But, I appreciate your honesty.

Your feedback is welcome, but I am guessing that I am too far below your standards to warrant further response. You don’t have to like me, but I’m here.

The Race Card on September 24, 2007 at 10:18 PM

Dinnerjacket claimes his country is a gay free zone,
is that like peace wackos saying they live in a Nuclear free zone,or enviromentalist wackos saying they live in
a logging free zone.Ha ha ha.

canopfor on September 24, 2007 at 10:25 PM

Question: 18 of the 19 hijackers were Saudi Arabian nationals, and most young Saudis do not work based on the fact that they import foreign labor, so most sit around madrassas etc. So, could we assume those 18 received Saudi “welfare” as most citizens do? Would that make the Saudi state a sponsor of terrorism? Would we protest so loudly if the leader of Saudi Arabia spoke at a university on our soil? I sort of doubt it. I hope the reason we wouldn’t is the relationship between the Bush family and the Saudi royals.

Pemabuk on September 24, 2007 at 10:27 PM

My questions still stand. Which sins are worse? Which sins are unacceptable to the party platform? How do we justify these discrepancies? How are they defined?

I believe in the sanctity of heterosexual marriage. But why should I be any more offended by gay sex than by adulterous sex? More people have a stake in adultery than in homosexuality.

I think Dennis Prager has some very insightful and thought provoking ideas about these issues sexuality, politics and marriage.

Sometimes, when I pose a tough (or annoying) question, I am not looking for an answer to my own question. Sometimes I am looking for an answer to a question I know will be posed by the other side.

The Race Card on September 24, 2007 at 10:33 PM

The Race Card on September 24, 2007 at 10:33 PM

I don’t know who you were addressing, but I don’t understand what you’re asking… Are you talking about the “gay marriage” issue? Your original comment isn’t directed at anyone in particular, so it sounds like you’re going off topic, and we’re only to guess what you might mean. As for the “sin” part, that’s irrelevant to policy. That’s for your personal beliefs. (Keep in mind, I’m the most “anti-gay” around this joint, but I don’t use religion to justify it… not just because it’s no way to win an argument, but because simple logic is the better argument.)

RightWinged on September 24, 2007 at 10:43 PM

And homosexuals in this country are whining about what.
Hening on September 24,2007 at 6:44PM.

When it comes to gay groups it seems they only care
about what they can get politically.
So i guess they don’t mind gays being executed,problem is
what other groups have their heads on the execution block,
isn’t it strange also how the ACLU is silent.

canopfor on September 24, 2007 at 10:45 PM

“If commenting were soap dispenser, I’d pump him in the bathroom”

RightWinged on September 24, 2007 at 9:35 PM

I was just ribbing you. You are a beacon of attention in these comments and I was drawn like a moth to your light.

Gutfeldisms rock.

Your ideas about homosexuality are very clear. I like that. I don’t agree with every rigid detail. But I understand what you mean.

It’s not easy to disagree with everybody, but it’s often important to do so. Also, I suspect that are many “anti-gay” voices tucked away.

(If anti-gay is an unfair descriptor, I apologize. In addition to being a troll, I’m at a loss for a better word.)

The Race Card on September 24, 2007 at 10:50 PM

I think the SNL guys will have him hold his hands palms up and say homa homa ne, homa homa ne, homa homa ne. and the crowd will be whistling and jeering. And then he will keep smiling saying homa homa ne and then start dancing like the guy on Fiddle on the Roof singing homa homa ne and it’ll be pretty fing funny.

pc on September 24, 2007 at 10:59 PM

The Race Card on September 24, 2007 at 10:50 PM

Don’t worry, I’m the one who used “anti-gay”… as long as it’s in quotes, I don’t really care. Actually, I guess I don’t really care either way, because they call me a bigot here all the time, because they can’t stand a logical disagreement (they never actually argue with me, they’re just mad that I don’t accept gays). But I’d prefer the quotes.

RightWinged on September 24, 2007 at 11:10 PM

Is there a deafening silence from some of the loudest voices on the left tonight???

Mojack420 on September 24, 2007 at 11:39 PM

I’m gonna break rank and say I’m glad the suit was invited to speak. With all the liberal sacks of shizz in the media trying to paint him as a reasonable, respectable man I’m glad to see one liberal pussy invited him to speak just to let him have a jackhammer to the skull.

Now if only the Chimphitler would follow it with a sniper team like Hercules helped his old man against the giants.

Darth Executor on September 24, 2007 at 11:57 PM

BigAnge on September 24, 2007 at 8:16 PM

Your original comment made no sense relative to this thread, considering that you accused all of us of doing something that we weren’t doing, namely “kneejerk defense of gays and their lifestyle”. So when I asked you to clarify what you did have a problem with, you came back at me with hysterical name-calling and grammatical nitpicking, along with an utter lack of substantive argument. Okay, we get it, the “gay lifestyle” is an emotional rather than a rational issue for you, so expecting anything out of you that actually makes sense is a waste of time.

ReubenJCogburn on September 25, 2007 at 12:13 AM

No gays in Iran.
They must have killed them off.

No brains at Columbia.
They must have been killed off.

Mojave Mark on September 25, 2007 at 12:23 AM

(Keep in mind, I’m the most “anti-gay” around this joint, but I don’t use religion to justify it… not just because it’s no way to win an argument not constitutional, but because simple logic bigotry is the better argument.)

RightWinged on September 24, 2007 at 10:43 PM

The Sinner on September 25, 2007 at 5:31 AM

Oh, f off The Sinner. You brought nothing to the debate but dishonesty and idiocy last time, don’t bring it in here too. You’re clearly unstable, maybe just a lonely Mary, but you’re tapping your foot under the wrong stall by talkin’ to me pal.

RightWinged on September 25, 2007 at 5:56 AM

Funny the gay thing got the biggest response, or not. But it was when he said “we don’t have…” because you know, everyone is gay, it’s just pent up…everyone’s in the closet according to them. Firemen, Coppers, Military, football players (especially those who run dogfighting rings), bikers. The more Male you act the more pent up you are.

LtE126 on September 25, 2007 at 7:39 AM

LtE126 on September 25, 2007 at 7:39 AM

No, it’s just the most blatant lie he told, when their is clear evidence that they execute gays.

SouthernDem on September 25, 2007 at 8:28 AM

*there is clear evidence

SouthernDem on September 25, 2007 at 8:28 AM

I would imagine that all this might have shaken up Hollywood just a bit. After all, look at Dearbornistan.

bloggless on September 25, 2007 at 8:58 AM

He’s not used to being booed and jeered in a situation where he can’t immediately order his goons to mow down the crowd with machine gun fire.

Scorched_Earth on September 25, 2007 at 9:23 AM

What is scary, is those who cheered AhMADinejad, won’t make it out in the real world and will be slinking back to academia and teach their twisted views to the next generation.

moonsbreath on September 25, 2007 at 11:29 AM

Were but the gays as hard on Ahmadinejad as they were on Dr. Laura

I am not impressed by the University President’s soft wristed slap down of Ahmadinehad:

“Mr President, you exhibit all the signs of a petty and cruel dictator,” Bollinger told Ahmadinejad, accusing him of brutal crackdowns on the country’s academics and homosexuals.

“Why are you so afraid of Iranian citizens expressing their opinions for change?” he asked, challenging the leader of the Islamic republic to explain his comments downplaying the Holocaust.

“Frankly, in all candor Mr President, I doubt you will have the intellectual courage to answer these questions,” he added.

“When you come to a place like this, this makes you quite simply ridiculous. You are either brazenly provocative or astonishingly uneducated,” he said.

So nulear Ahmadinejad, Holocaust denier, future eraser of Israel and America, sharia driven executioner of gays, friend of all who chant ‘Death to America’ is either brazenly provocative or astonishingly uneducated?

This is like watching a mouse run out and kick the cat and then scurry back and wait for applause.

When Bollinger accused Abbadaba of not having the ‘intellectual courage to answer these questions’ IMHO Bollinger was giving himself a pat on the back for asking questions. Some warrior.

entagor on September 25, 2007 at 11:54 AM

The Race Card on September 24, 2007 at 10:18 PM

You were trolling, you do it quite often. Your comment and the many others you have made are a clear indication of that. You weren’t having a conversation with either me or RightWinged nor were you even commenting on anything either of us said.

Hence the designation of your post and you as a troll.

An Internet troll, or simply troll in Internet slang, is someone who intentionally posts controversial or contrary messages in an online community such as an online discussion forum, especially GameFAQs, or USENET, with the intention of baiting users into an argumentative response.[1]

Furthermore your response also clearly shows the intent to provoke. You are a troll its that simple.

doriangrey on September 25, 2007 at 2:49 PM

So…does this little creep come with the “high heat” or does he prefer a “slider” when homo stoning…

sabbott on September 25, 2007 at 2:53 PM

There are no homosexuals in Iran? hum that’s queer.

TheSitRep on September 26, 2007 at 6:51 PM

As a Christian, I don’t agree with homosexuality and I think it is a:

. sin (the attached behavior)
. consequence of humans turning away from God
. punishment from God in the form of temptation

But the video in the attached link (yes, muted the soundtrack too) makes me sick to my stomach.

I’m surprised liberals don’t want Iran bombed back to the Stone Age yet. Maybe it’ll just take Shar’ia law in San Francisco to push the process along.

Ryan Gandy on September 30, 2007 at 9:48 PM