Video: There are no gays in Iran, says Ahmadinejad; Update: Photos — Iran executes gays

posted at 3:18 pm on September 24, 2007 by Allahpundit

I’ve got Bollinger’s surprising, much-lauded speech coming up, but enjoy this as a snack. Some rare derisive laughter from the audience greets this little pearl.

Maybe it was a translation error and he meant “There will be no gays in Iran”?

Update: Omri Ceren has photos of the notorious incident linked above. People are treating the clip as comic relief but it’s revelatory of his totalitarian mindset: if a fact, like the Holocaust, is especially inconvenient, simply wish it away.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

If you find a copy of the transcript, please post the link.

Thanks.

INC on September 24, 2007 at 3:20 PM

Comedy gold.

wherestherum on September 24, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Now this should be a fascinating thread.

SouthernDem on September 24, 2007 at 3:21 PM

Heartache for Andrew.

Topsecretk9 on September 24, 2007 at 3:22 PM

Anti – P Town

Hetero Paradise

Where men are men and women are beaten

sunny on September 24, 2007 at 3:22 PM

The SNL writers are probably already working on this one.

infidel4life on September 24, 2007 at 3:22 PM

The follow up would be, “And why not?”

desertdweller on September 24, 2007 at 3:24 PM

Thanks for the video, HA. I’d been wanting to post on that little comment I caught for the last hour.

Guy seriously makes me sick to my stomach. I’ll be glad to hear of his corpse being found after he pushes us just one iota too far.

MadisonConservative on September 24, 2007 at 3:24 PM

But at least he’s against the Chimpster.

SWLiP on September 24, 2007 at 3:24 PM

What completely got skipped was his remarks about Iran’s right to keep ‘microbes’ from harming society. No gays, no aids in Farsi.

Limerick on September 24, 2007 at 3:24 PM

Where men are men and women are beaten

sunny on September 24, 2007 at 3:22 PM

I thought the saying was “where men are men and sheep are nervous?” LOL

abinitioadinfinitum on September 24, 2007 at 3:26 PM

What would Rosie Say?

AndrewsDad on September 24, 2007 at 3:26 PM

…not anymore, anyway.

James on September 24, 2007 at 3:28 PM

What would Rosie Say?

“He’s just like a short smelly Tom Cruise! I love him!”

Iblis on September 24, 2007 at 3:28 PM

What would Rosie Say?

We’ll have to wait until she coughs up the chicken wing she choked on when she heard that remark.

mesablue on September 24, 2007 at 3:29 PM

i almost fell outa my chair when he said this, lol
how can anyone take anything he say’s seriously? and if they did before how could they now?

trailortrash on September 24, 2007 at 3:30 PM

Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

Damian P. on September 24, 2007 at 3:31 PM

……….and Iran has no intentions on making a bomb…..they are the jews friends…..yada yada yada.

Thanks Columbia…I was very upset when I first heard of this appearance. Now, after Bollinger opening remarks and the rhetoric that followed, you did the right thing. Now everyone sees this whackjob for what he is.
Was nice the hear the boos at then end.

RobG on September 24, 2007 at 3:31 PM

I thought the saying was “where men are men and sheep are nervous?” LOL

abinitioadinfinitum on September 24, 2007 at 3:26 PM

Only in Kentucky.

I see a photoshop of three apples high making a speech in front of something, er, yeah, something. Ace?

sunny on September 24, 2007 at 3:32 PM

Bill Maher will call him brave for coming.

I don’t like Maher.

tlynch001 on September 24, 2007 at 3:32 PM

he clearly needs a lecture from Pat Robertson on the Homosexual agenda.

zane on September 24, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Anybody know if this was being broadcast in Iran?
I just love the audience’s reaction to his stupid statement that “this phenomenon” doesn’t exist in Iran. Who told you there are homosexuals in Iran? There are not!

Bad Penny on September 24, 2007 at 3:35 PM

That such a forum could not take place on a university campus in Iran today sharpens the point of what we do here.

Entelechy on September 24, 2007 at 3:36 PM

Only in Kentucky.

Hey!

What would Rosie Say?

“If there are no gheys in Iran, I can go there and be their queen!”

lan astaslem on September 24, 2007 at 3:36 PM

I don’t have the link. But I did blog the speech. In my usual way…;-)

Rightwingsparkle on September 24, 2007 at 3:38 PM

There are no gays in Iran, says Ahmadinejad

Rosie O’d says “They are just like my mother and father their are no terrorists”

So no gays in Iran = No terrorists in Iran ?

William Amos on September 24, 2007 at 3:38 PM

Did it sound like he was referring to homosexuals as drug dealers when discussing punishing those who dispense of harmful microbes, for example the aids virus?

geckomon on September 24, 2007 at 3:39 PM

Ahmadithewad has really bad gaydar.

Someone should tell the left that there are gays in Israel so that when Ahmadithenutwad says he is going to annihilate them the moonbats will get outraged finally.

pedestrian on September 24, 2007 at 3:39 PM

I guess there goes the argument about the ‘gay gene’. . . unless it’s in the water and Iran has systematically purified it out of the water.

ThackerAgency on September 24, 2007 at 3:40 PM

no gays? What? This can’t be because some people are born gay.

swami on September 24, 2007 at 3:40 PM

Cue Ron Paul

“Iran has every right to be mad at us. We made the gays leave when the Shah took over power”

William Amos on September 24, 2007 at 3:41 PM

There are no gays in Iran.

Buried under it, well…

saint kansas on September 24, 2007 at 3:41 PM

FWIW, here’s my take on the event…

First, I was shocked and confused by Bolinger’s intro… It was a blatant attack on Ahmadinejad, and I’m not sure exactly what was going on, because during the Q&A he pussied out (with the exception of asking for a “yes or no” on the “do you want to wipe Israel off the map” noise).

Next, I found it disgusting (yet not at all surprising) that university students would give uproarious applause to this guy. I don’t think it is unique to Columbia either, this would happen at most major universities in the country, and frankly it’s a terrifying to think of what will become of the country as these f***ing stupid kids come up. It really disturbs me that these kids take to heart Ahmadinejad’s pleas for peace and living in harmony together, etc., yet don’t have a clue that the day before he came here he watched his military parade with signs saying “Down with America” and “Down with Israel”

Would anyone challenge me in assuming that 99.99% of these people who were there have no idea about this?

And as much as I hate Shep Smith, he (politely, much more so than I’d have been) gave it to this Columbia Sophomore after the speech. He asked if elevating the status of this guy would be a good idea, given that there are fence sitters in Iran. She said (paraphrasing because I don’t have the exact quote) “Well I think they can make up their own minds after hearing Bolinger’s truth, and the fact that he wouldn’t answer a lot of questions is telling”, etc. Shep was like “Do you really think that Iranians will see that part?” Deer. In. Headlights. She had nothing left to say but “Uh, well, I hope…”

Also, am I the only one who caught Ahmadinejad’s veiled allusion to Trutherism when asked about visiting Ground Zero? He ranted about how we should want to know what led to it, and then made a few comments about how we should want to know who was really responsible. It was clear, if you were paying attention to the speedy rant, that he meant to imply “maybe it wasn’t 19 Muslims”. So there ya go Alex Jones, he threw ya a bone.

RightWinged on September 24, 2007 at 3:42 PM

Ahmadinejad is crazy… crazy like a fox. (/cliche’)

It’s amazing to me that in this day and age, with our current global climate, that someone like Ahmadinejad, the ‘President’ of a middle-eastern terrorist state, can actually fly into our country, be the honored guest at a publicy funded University (that simultaneously refused to let an American citizen speak at the same location), hold press conferences, kiss hands, shake babies, and stroll through New York City with the audacity to play the 9/11 tragedy like a poker hand.

Being a member of the UN makes it mostly possible, I know, but it’s still a testament to the benevolence of the United States of America. That fact will probably not be mentioned in the MSM and among the moonbattery of blogs out there, because dramatic negativity coupled with BDS (Bush Derangement Syndrome) is far more profitable in every context.

On a side thought, this whole traveling freak show is also yet another good reason to resign from and evict the U.N. They’d probably rather be closer to where their hearts really lie anyway… like Europe or China.

Whomever Ahmadinnerjacket’s P.R. people are, they could make a fortune if they’d defect and go into business in Hollywood… after they spilled the truth about what’s truly going on behind the iron curtain in Iran of course.

SilverStar830 on September 24, 2007 at 3:44 PM

For the first time ever, I think I am going to pay the KosKids a visit. The cognitive dissonance should be sublime.

BohicaTwentyTwo on September 24, 2007 at 3:44 PM

Would it be ugly American of me to send an invite to Amadinajad ?

I have this waterboard and panties party planned for Gitmo and thought he shouldnt miss it

William Amos on September 24, 2007 at 3:45 PM

RightWinged,

I got that truttherism too. He said we needed to find out what was really behind 9-11. As far as your question why Bollinger attacked him so in the beginning is because Columbia was getting SERIOUS backlash on this. Even from within. (like the Jewish Studies Dept mentioned) If he hadn’t done what he did, there would have been serious reprecussions (money donated, taken back, that sort of thing)

Rightwingsparkle on September 24, 2007 at 3:46 PM

Not “We don’t have homosexuals…”

More like “We won’t have homosexuals…”

JetBoy on September 24, 2007 at 3:47 PM

Because Arabic is such a complex language and translations are often incorrect and taken out of context, let me translate what he really said:

1. There are no homosexuals in Iran because we kill them as soon as we find them.
2. They’re just Zionist spies.
3. Of course we have happy people in Iran. Everyone is gay with Mohammed.
4. Did I mention the Zionists yet?
5. Just as there hasn’t been good scientific study on the Holocaust, there hasn’t been research into this thing you called homosexual behavior.

hotdax on September 24, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Rightwingsparkle on September 24, 2007 at 3:46 PM

There still should be.

If I were an alum (not that my grades qualified me for ivy league), I’d ask for any money I donated back and/or make known that I would never again donate to the school.

Esthier on September 24, 2007 at 3:49 PM

He said there were no homosexuals in Iran like they have in Europe etc. Does he mean they don’t have openly gay people, or that they don’t have gays at all? Is the “phenomenon” he’s talking about fabulousness, or does he include closeted homosexuality?

Maybe he was saying there were no homosexuals in Iran at all, but he may have been trying to split hairs again, and his spin just didn’t come through the translation well.

Whatever the case, Columbia inviting the guy is disgusting, and it was as unproductive and pointless as I had expected it to be. Score another one for Mahmoud.

forest on September 24, 2007 at 3:49 PM

It’s a sad state of affairs when academic learning is considered wiser than the wisdom learned from life experiences.

We should really turn this into an indictment of the ignorance of the children who attend our universities. Their so called higher learning hasn’t taught them to see a terrorist for what he is and to have the courage to do the right thing and treat him accordingly.

csdeven on September 24, 2007 at 3:50 PM

Someone should show him Oliver Stone’s Alexander. According to Stone, everyone in the Middle East was gay.

tommylotto on September 24, 2007 at 3:50 PM

My favorite response to this was on The Corner over at NRO:

“We don’t have homosexuals in Iran like in your country” [Jonah Goldberg]

Yes, but I hear that there’s so much toe-tapping in the Turkish toilet stalls it sounds like a Fred Astaire retrospective.

BobH on September 24, 2007 at 3:53 PM

RightWinged,

Rightwingsparkle on September 24, 2007 at 3:46 PM

Cool, glad it wasn’t just me who caught the Trutherism. As for Bolinger’s attack, I agree. It was likely to save his ass… though he was still surprisingly forceful.

There still should be.

Esthier on September 24, 2007 at 3:49 PM

I believe it was the great ombudsman Andy Levy who said:

“I would stop my donations to my alma mater, if I’d been making any”

RightWinged on September 24, 2007 at 3:53 PM

This doesn’t shock me. How could anyone living in a crazy theocracy (or should that be “theocrazy”?) be gay?

Dr. Charles G. Waugh on September 24, 2007 at 3:54 PM

He’s turning Columbia students against him. He’s gotta be pretty evil.

Christoph on September 24, 2007 at 3:56 PM

Was nice the hear the boos at then end.

Finally, we find something Columbia University students have a problem with. Terrorism? Fine. Threatening to wipe Israel off the map? No probs. Atrocious human rights record? Whatevs. Holocaust never happened? Okay. “Root Causes”? Free Speech.

There are no gays in Iran (because they’re all at the bottom of a shallow grave) – BOOOOO.

Seriously, at least (and it’s sad that I have to cheerlead SOMETHING in this freak show), the man didn’t get a standing O or anything. Gotta look at the bright side, even from the bottom of a pit.

mjk on September 24, 2007 at 3:56 PM

“I would stop my donations to my alma mater, if I’d been making any”

RightWinged on September 24, 2007 at 3:53 PM

So true. I feel insulted every time they ask. What, the $30,000+ wasn’t enough?

Esthier on September 24, 2007 at 3:57 PM

everyone in the Middle East was gay.

tommylotto on September 24, 2007 at 3:50 PM

and used eye liner.

sunny on September 24, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Sooooooooooo….he’s a homocaust denier too, huh?

PatrickS on September 24, 2007 at 3:58 PM

If we publicly executed teenagers accused of homosexuality by hanging them from the neck until dead from the steel cable of a construction crane like the Iranian Governemnt does, we’d have no homosexuals either.

/links provided courtesy of the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs

SilverStar830 on September 24, 2007 at 4:00 PM

the man didn’t get a standing O or anything.
mjk on September 24, 2007 at 3:56 PM

I think that’s because the security folks told everyone to remain seated. They were probably afraid if they stood up they would get tazed.

lan astaslem on September 24, 2007 at 4:00 PM

SilverStar830 on September 24, 2007 at 4:00 PM

Eventually anyway.

Esthier on September 24, 2007 at 4:01 PM

…and there’s no freedom of the press in…America.

Entelechy on September 24, 2007 at 4:04 PM

RightWinged on September 24, 2007 at 3:53 PM

Surprising forceful…Bollinger called Ahmadinejad a liar a thief and a murderer right to his face and demanded to know where the hell he got off thinking he could visit ground zero, and you describe it as Surprising forceful???

doriangrey on September 24, 2007 at 4:04 PM

“There are no gays in Iran. Only the swishy.”

BelchSpeak on September 24, 2007 at 4:07 PM

For a little insight on gays and Iran, go HERE

JetBoy on September 24, 2007 at 4:07 PM

Iranians aren’t Arabs. They predominately speak Farsi.

Meanwhile, his claim that there are no homosexuals in Iran was intended to be a moralistic dig at the US and western civilization in general. He meant that Iran, being a morally superior Islamic entity, does not experience the degeneracy of homosexuality that is rampant in the west at all. Not that gays have been eliminated, but that the urge doesn’t even occur. (False, obviously, but still the intended message.)

It doesn’t play well here, of course, but we aren’t the target audience.

Blacklake on September 24, 2007 at 4:08 PM

doriangrey on September 24, 2007 at 4:04 PM

He did, but when aloonyboonyjob criticized Bolinger for it, the students applauded.

csdeven on September 24, 2007 at 4:09 PM

It doesn’t play well here, of course, but we aren’t the target audience.

Blacklake on September 24, 2007 at 4:08 PM

It was not appreciated by the target audience, in fact it was so unappreciated that it was the one thing he said that they boo’d him over.

doriangrey on September 24, 2007 at 4:12 PM

hotdax on September 24, 2007 at 3:48 PM

he is not an arab hence didnt speak in Arabic. He is persian and spoke farsi, before we bomb them we should recognise this difference.

zane on September 24, 2007 at 4:15 PM

lan astaslem on September 24, 2007 at 4:00 PM

Something akin to “Don’t tase me, Mo.” (somebody had to do it).

mjk on September 24, 2007 at 4:15 PM

ARLINGTON, VA — U.S. Senator John McCain today made the following statement on Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad speaking at Columbia University:

“I still find it astonishing and astounding that Columbia University would welcome the president of a country that has not only dedicated itself to a policy of extinction of the state of Israel, but as he is speaking, most of the lethal and explosive devices are being exported from Iran into Iraq, endangering and taking the lives of brave Americans who are serving. Meanwhile, Columbia University’s belief in free speech does not extend to Reserve Officers’ Training Corps units being allowed on their campus to attract outstanding young men and women to serve in the military.”

bnelson44 on September 24, 2007 at 4:16 PM

There are no gays in Iran, says Ahmadinejad

Translation: Don’t Gay Me, Bro!

highhopes on September 24, 2007 at 4:17 PM

And there most certainly ARE GAYS in Iran…

JetBoy on September 24, 2007 at 4:18 PM

While you were out:

DoD Identifies Army Casualty

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Spc. Joshua H. Reeves, 26, of Watkinsville, Ga., died Sept. 22 in Baghdad, Iraq, of wounds suffered when an improvised explosive device detonated near his vehicle. He was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 16th Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, Fort Riley, Kan.

bnelson44 on September 24, 2007 at 4:20 PM

Why is it mainly conservatives who seem to care about gays in Iran and Cuba?

frankj on September 24, 2007 at 4:21 PM

doriangrey on September 24, 2007 at 4:04 PM

Take a deep breath doriangrey. Surprisingly forceful, FOR BOLINGER. Have you paid any attention to this story as it evolved? Bolinger is a f***ing douche, and it is SURPRISING that he would be so condemning of Ahmadinejad. It wasn’t forceful enough if you ask me, but I’m talking about for Bolinger, it was surprising. Get me?

RightWinged on September 24, 2007 at 4:21 PM

This stuff is Republican gold. Imagine the the fun Conservatives could have in the coming election forcing Dems to reconcile this statement with their wacky base. Never mind forcing them to explain why Ahmadinejad, Al-Qaeda, and terrorists et al, love regurgitating the Democrats most cherished talking points.
As I said, Republican gold-Campaign gold. What are you waiting for RNC? FEAST!!!

RMR on September 24, 2007 at 4:24 PM

BTW I just love the hypocracy of the left on this.

HOW DARE Bollinger a US citisen use his right of free speech to critisize Ahmadinejad ! Free Speech is so unfair some times !

William Amos on September 24, 2007 at 4:25 PM

The quote of the day “there are no homosexuals in Iran”…no living homosexuals is what he meant to say.

Classic.

right2bright on September 24, 2007 at 4:26 PM

I am not surprised by this statement. If dinner jacket is considered one of the choices for the gay community, it would scare them hetero.

swami on September 24, 2007 at 4:27 PM

RightWinged on September 24, 2007 at 4:21 PM

No, you are the one that needs to take a deep breath. Yes I was paying attention to how the story evolved. Yes I understand about Bollinger, I get all that ok… Surprisingly forceful Since you obviously did get it the first time, let me rephrase that…Well now, wasn’t that just about the god damn biggest understatement of the century?

doriangrey on September 24, 2007 at 4:27 PM

doriangrey on September 24, 2007 at 4:12 PM

Nobody in the west is the target audience. Iranians and others in the Muslim world are. Ahmedinejad’s comments will not be portrayed there as ridiculous posturing, but as a chiding, moralistic lecture delivered to the infidels in the middle of their greatest city.

Blacklake on September 24, 2007 at 4:29 PM

Well after those remarks about “no homosexuals” I’m sure we will be at war within weeks and un-straighten that country out.

ahkjr33 on September 24, 2007 at 4:29 PM

Hope we get a copy of the iranian tv version….nothing but madjihad grinning b.s. and of course, applause.
Thx Columbia.

shooter on September 24, 2007 at 4:41 PM

Where men are men and women are beaten camels are nervous.

sunny on September 24, 2007 at 3:22 PM

Fixed that for ya.

flipflop on September 24, 2007 at 4:41 PM

Other than Bollinger’s intro this was easily the best moment of the event. After the question was asked you could see ahmadinejad take several seconds trying to figure out how to respond, then he just stumbled his way through the entire answer. You think he would have had a better answer prepared, but maybe he wasn’t expecting a question like that.

BadgerHawk on September 24, 2007 at 4:45 PM

NO GAYS IN IRAN !!!

We have don’t ask don’t tell for our troops, they must have it for the whole country.

Dersu on September 24, 2007 at 4:48 PM

On a serious note, ask an official of the PRC if there are homosexuals in China… you’ll get a similar answer.

China is not our “competitor,” Dubya. It’s a frighteningly backward and cruel communist military dictatorship.

ScottMcC on September 24, 2007 at 4:50 PM

No gays in Iran? I guess Iran is just giving off some really mixed signals, then.

I believe it was the great ombudsman Andy Levy who said:

“I would stop my donations to my alma mater, if I’d been making any”

RightWinged on September 24, 2007 at 3:53 PM

Of all the ombudsmen, he is the ombuddiest.

ReubenJCogburn on September 24, 2007 at 4:54 PM

Oh, and what’s the over/under on The Daily Show and Colbert Report spinning this as a slam against traditional America with at least one joke about those e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-evil gay hating Christianist Republicans (i.e. “In response to Ahmadinejad’s comment there are no gays in his country, Dr. James Dobson says he plans a move to Iran in 2008″)?

ScottMcC on September 24, 2007 at 4:57 PM

They don’t have homosexuals, because they KILL them.

otcconan on September 24, 2007 at 5:01 PM