Video: African-American boycott of L.L.Bean enters 80th year

posted at 11:00 pm on September 24, 2007 by Allahpundit

Huh? The company was founded in 1912. Was the “black preppy” look “in” until 1927?

Comments

Yeah, I don’t shop LL Bean either – and I’m white. Bland style, eighties preppy and very old-school. Apparently they don’t cater to me either.

P.S. Yes, I’m aware it’s a parody. Just sayin’…

thedecider on September 24, 2007 at 11:08 PM

Despite thedecider’s comment, how long before you’ve got to do it again AP? Actually, these later posts don’t usually need it, but I still say it’s 50/50 that before morning, you’ll need to do it.

RightWinged on September 24, 2007 at 11:11 PM

RW, I’m guessing 40% on whether he has to.

Bad Candy on September 24, 2007 at 11:20 PM

RightWinged on September 24, 2007 at 11:11 PM

If by “morning” you mean a few minutes past midnight EST, then I concur.

thedecider on September 24, 2007 at 11:21 PM

The comedic irony is that LL Bean was founded by a guy named Leon.

jihadwatcher on September 24, 2007 at 11:26 PM

They left me off the memo list again!

baldilocks on September 24, 2007 at 11:52 PM

baldilocks, I thought you got all your clothes courtesy of the Army.

otcconan on September 25, 2007 at 12:11 AM

The comedic irony is that LL Bean was founded by a guy named Leon.

jihadwatcher on September 24, 2007 at 11:26 PM

I remember making note of that the other day that I don’t I’ve ever met anyone named Leon who isn’t black. I’m going to name my first son Leon… if he’s white.

frankj on September 25, 2007 at 12:19 AM

I like LL Bean and I subscribe to their mailing list. I even wear some of their products. Once a year, we make the great pilgrimage to Freepost Maine. During the Fall when the leaves start to turn, it’s a religious experience. I encourage everyone to convert to the style of clothing that makes you look articulate, clean, and a nice guy or gal.

Kini on September 25, 2007 at 12:26 AM

Hey I like L.L. Bean.

(At least their outdoor stuff and their dress shirts).

Course I am very biased since my dad’s business used to do product testing (he may still) for them, and I once worked directly for them, a long time ago, during the Christmas season.

That and the ex-CEO (now COB) was a very nice, polite, low-key, customer of my dad’s business.

F15Mech on September 25, 2007 at 12:34 AM

I forgot to mention the time the CIO of L.L. Bean came into my dad’s store to pick up his order, when our Novell Network (It was the mid/late 80′s) was down and spent an hour getting it up and running again so the Point of Sale system would function again.

F15Mech on September 25, 2007 at 12:41 AM

The guys at the Onion must be hoping they get some gift certificates if they tell L.L. Bean they will bury the story.

I like Bean. Their coats and gloves got this Florida girl through some tough NH winters. Good products and good customer service. You call and you get to talk to someone who is in the U.S. What more could you ask for?

INC on September 25, 2007 at 12:44 AM

baldilocks, I thought you got all your clothes courtesy of the Army.

otcconan on September 25, 2007 at 12:11 AM

They cut that gravy train off when you retire.

baldilocks on September 25, 2007 at 12:55 AM

L.L. Cool J. is pissed, mo’fo!

He just realized who his daddy is.

Boat shoes with bling!

profitsbeard on September 25, 2007 at 1:47 AM

Bean’s was not always a mail order thing. I’ve enjoyed shopping in Freeport at 3am on Christmas morning for most of my life. Also, I have to admit, I never saw a black person in real life until I was 7 and ventured outside the state of Maine.

TBinSTL on September 25, 2007 at 1:49 AM

“I don’t (think I have) ever met anyone named Leon who isn’t black.”

Well, there was Leon from Blade Runner, played by Brion James, an actor who was frequently cast as a redneck. Admitted Leon from Bladerunner is a fictional character. And he was metaphorically black.

Leon Blum? Leon from Leon / The Professional?

Apeking on September 25, 2007 at 6:50 AM

Gotta hand it to the Onion folks… That was creative. In order for humor to succeed, there needs to be an element of truth. That’s why Clinton jokes get laughs and Bush blasts get “Huh!” replies.

Rugged Individual on September 25, 2007 at 7:01 AM

BTW about clothes, what’s with all this “Hollister” shit I’ve been seeing kids wearing? The only Hollister I know about is the “riot” in California. And if you had any questions about Harley selling out, that poodle Clooney dumps a rented FLSTC, then goes with the old “I was cut off” BS story. Every whiteknuckle rider with a deathgrip on the bars gets “cut off”. Say what you want about Motley Crue at least they owned their owned their own bikes before the yuppies ruined the “Motor company”.

LtE126 on September 25, 2007 at 7:28 AM

Leon Russel … he’s white.

darwin on September 25, 2007 at 7:46 AM

You wanna call that “metaphorically black” then YOU go right ahead, not me.

I’d comment more on the Blade Runner universe right now, but I gotta go online and buy some more stuff from LL Bean.

Always Right on September 25, 2007 at 8:15 AM

HAHA love da onion

trailortrash on September 25, 2007 at 8:27 AM

frankj on September 25, 2007 at 12:19 AM

Growing up in Mississippi way back when (I think Dad just killed the last Tyranosaurus), I had a friend named Leon. And, yes, he was white.

Texas Nick 77 on September 25, 2007 at 8:32 AM

LtE126 on September 25, 2007

haha, Hollister is just a poor man’s Abercrombie and Fitch, really. BTW A&F could certainly have been substituted for LL Bean for this ‘report’!

flipflopper on September 25, 2007 at 9:08 AM

I’m a Beano. My friends are Beano’s. We like Bean’s quality. So we live in an unHip, unPC bubble? Sue us.

petefrt on September 25, 2007 at 9:13 AM

Leon Redbone, people. He’s da bomb.

tree hugging sister on September 25, 2007 at 9:20 AM

Love my L.L. Bean in Michigan winters….

Pam on September 25, 2007 at 9:58 AM

I like to refer to the store as L.L.DORK

Regney on September 25, 2007 at 10:03 AM

baldilocks, I thought you got all your clothes courtesy of the Army.

otcconan on September 25, 2007 at 12:11 AM

U.S. or Salvation?

Wade on September 25, 2007 at 10:08 AM

LL Bean used to be a superb company. Unparalleled customer service and a no-questions-asked return policy. I returned a shirt I had worn for three years and got a new one free…no questions asked.

That’s when everything was made in the USA. Today, the shirts are from Bulgaria and wear out in six months.

Still, any minority group should save their ire for Abercrombie & Fitch. Bean may be “shallow preppy,” but A&F is revolting! If a Klansman sent his kid to Yale, that’s where the kid would shop.

thejackal on September 25, 2007 at 10:19 AM

I had no idea Mr. Bean’s first name was Leon. The things you learn on this site.

Privatestock on September 25, 2007 at 10:51 AM

This Onion parody is not far from reality in diversity obsessed Portland, Maine.

A statue that was donated to the city by the owner of the Portland Seadogs was met with stirring controversy.

The monument, on the sidewalk outside the city-owned ball park, consists of four statues depicting a boy wearing a baseball glove, his father with sunglasses and camera in his pockets, and a mother carrying a baby girl and a teddy bear.

Oh no!

The vice chairman of the committee declared that he was not enthused with designs featuring “white folks on pedestals.” Another committee member said Portland already had too many statues depicting “white, Anglo-Saxon people.” The committee also didn’t like the fact that the “family” wore clothing with the Portland Sea Dogs logo.

Buy Danish on September 25, 2007 at 11:30 AM

Call me when the headline reads, “Black community speaks out against black crime.”

PRCalDude on September 25, 2007 at 11:46 AM

That video was hilarious.

PRCalDude on September 25, 2007 at 11:51 AM

“To be accurate, Leon in Blade Runner was a replicant, an artificial “humanoid” with exceptional strength, limited brainpower, and a very short lifespan. You wanna call that “metaphorically black” then YOU go right ahead, not me.”

No, silly. I meant that he was shipped off across the universe and used as a slave, out of sight and out of mind. Besides, the other replicants had a range of physical attributes. Perhaps they would have lived longer if the engineers had given them bullet-proof ribs.

As a UK reader of this site, what is LL Bean? I assume it’s a kind of store that sells ultra-square clothing, along the lines of a golfing store.

Apeking on September 25, 2007 at 12:10 PM

Apeking,

Here’s the Wikipedia article on L. L. Bean. It’s a company in Maine. Bean was a hunter and fisherman. They sell lots of outdoor clothing, boots, camping supplies, dog beds, etc. The look is classic New England outdoor/casual (hence ridiculed above). They are one of the few companies whose catalog models don’t pose with the jaded, bleary-eyed look. I have owned Bean slacks, skirts, dresses, coats, jackets, sweaters, boots, ice skates, blankets, etc. They know warm. (I love their Polartec stuff). I used to go to their outlets for discounts all the time when we were in the NE. Here’s their website. The flagship store is open 24/7.

Now I’m going to have to make a call about that sales commission.
:-)

INC on September 25, 2007 at 12:33 PM

My wifes record is 5 years for returning a shirt. She has a parka from Bean that is >10 years old that has a semi-broken zipper and keeps threatening to send it back for a new one.

I like their stuff – jeans, shirts, camping gear. It just works for me. As for customer service – the people on the phone are great. And if you’re in the neighborhood – the store in Freeport is worth the visit.

alilianstrom on September 25, 2007 at 4:10 PM

U.S. or Salvation?

Wade on September 25, 2007 at 10:08 AM

Neither, actually (I’m retired AF). Just having a little fun.

Oh, and LL Bean jeans are good for us “mommy jeans” wearers.

baldilocks on September 25, 2007 at 6:04 PM

I love the LL Bean Subaru suv’s, but I drive a pick-up,
maybe I will get one as a side car.

gary on September 25, 2007 at 8:27 PM