I want to pay my respects at Ground Zero, says Ahmadinejad — and also talk about “root causes”; Update: Ground Zero visit back on?

posted at 9:24 pm on September 23, 2007 by Allahpundit

Maybe he’s not the Iranian Hitler. Maybe he’s the Iranian Ron Paul. You’re better off reading the transcript — which, thankfully, includes the entire interview, not just the parts that made it to air tonight — but if you’re intent on seeing the clip you’ll find it in the sidebar here entitled “Paying His Respects.” As suspected, the “good-faith gesture” that the idiot left is hoping for is a bit more nuanced than thought:

AHMADINEJAD: Why should it be insulting?

PELLEY: Well, sir, you’re the head of government of an Islamist state that the United States government says is a major exporter of terrorism around the world.

AHMADINEJAD: Well, I wouldn’t say that what the American government says is the prerequisite here. Something happened there which led to other events. Many innocent people were killed there. Some of those people were American citizens obviously. We obviously are very much against any terrorist action and any killing. And also we are very much against any plots to sow the seeds of discord among nations. Usually you go to these sites to pay your respects. And also to perhaps air your views about the root causes of such incidents. I think that when I do that, I will be paying, as I said earlier, my respect to the American nation.

That at least will cure the left’s ambivalence about him going down there; now they can be fully in favor. The rest of the interview is Ahmadinejad’s patented brand of sidestepping questions, accusing the reporter of being a government shill when he’s pressed, and plastering on plenty of peace and love rhetoric for the useful idiots in America whom this is aimed at. If you’re hungry for highlights, here you’ll find him denying the presence of Iranian forces in Iraq, which would be news to David Petraeus; here he defends government censorship as a policy enacted by the Iranian people’s representatives, neglecting to mention the fact that the regime purges thousands of “undesirable” candidates from the rolls before every election; here he borrows a page from Osama and floats a few Democratic talking points about wiretapping, the military-industrial complex, and Hurricane Katrina (by name), again for the benefit of “reality-based” slackjaws who can’t get enough “special comments” along these lines; and finally the cherry on top, Ahmadinejad’s theory of 9/11. If you don’t believe the Holocaust happened, this one is no big stretch:

PELLEY: One last thing. So important for the American people to understand. When your airplane approaches Manhattan this week, you will look out the window and you will see that the World Trade Center is gone. Many Americans, Mr. President, to be frank, believe that you look out that window and you say to yourself, “Good. Somebody got ‘em.” They believe our countries are enemies.

AHMADEINEJAD: Well, you shouldn’t speak on behalf of the American people… The American people still don’t know who was behind the bombing of the Twin Towers. Many books in the U.S. have been written about the incident., and there are questions circling in your society. Once you go back, go to the streets, ask the local people who was behind this, what were the reason for that? And, again, I fail to see why you continually say “the American people.“ I have the latest surveys. Eighty percent of the American citizens say that the American government knew about the attack beforehand. [This figure is almost certainly bogus. -- ed.] They had information…

It’s very regrettable that many thousands of people were killed in the Twin Tower incident. We have announced time and again. And what we are asking is can we do something that ensures this never happens? And the answer is “yes.” We can do that, providing a number of parties do not establish terrorist organizations and set them off on nations. We know who is behind terrorist organizations. You know full well who is behind a number of terrorist organizations around my part of the world, that is. Who provided them with logistical support, political support? It’s a very well-known fact they have made and created these terrorist organizations themselves.

PELLEY: Who, sir?

AHMADINEJAD: It’s very clear. Very clear.

PELLEY: Make it clearer. Name the names.

AHMADEINEJAD: I don’t want to name names. I don’t want to name names. But the terrorist organizations in Afghanistan, who is behind them? And what intelligence organization belonging to what country is behind them? This is very clear.

PELLEY: Shall I say CIA and the United States? Will that . . .

AHMADEINEJAD: Well, maybe you know something that . . .

If you’re the praying type, pray for an Ahmadinejad/Truther encounter somewhere on the streets of Manhattan tomorrow. The gladhanding and mutual warmth will give me content enough for the next week. I leave you with this, since it’s of a piece — former Reagan Treasury Department honcho turned bottom-feeding Truther scumbag Paul Craig Roberts, demagoging the “don’t tase me, bro” incident for his new agenda to the great delight of Iranian media.

Update: Here’s the full video of what aired tonight. Click the image to watch.

60.jpg

Update: We’ll find out in the aftermath whether the city or the feds were primarily responsible for preventing it, but rest assured that the guilty parties will never be forgiven. Ever.

Comments

I give kudos to Pelley, who did ask the tough questions, and who stuck to them doggedly even in the face of Ahmadenial.

Think Lee Bollinger is going to make sure that the questions asked tomorrow at Columbia will be nearly as tough?

Puh-leeze. Nineteen-year-old Ivy Leaguers will be throwing softballs.

Meryl Yourish on September 23, 2007 at 9:34 PM

He seems to be amused that a media person would challenge him. Guess that doesn’t happen much in Iran.

bnelson44 on September 23, 2007 at 9:43 PM

Islamic/nutroots conversion continues

William Amos on September 23, 2007 at 9:44 PM

He got really pissed when Pelley implied that he was lying.

PELLEY: You mentioned telling the truth as a Muslim, and as you know so much better than I do, Verse 42 of the second sura: “The truth shall not be obscured by falsehood, and those who know the truth must tell it.” But when I ask you a question as direct as “Will you pledge not to test a nuclear weapon?” you you dance all around the question. You never say “yes.” You never say “no.”

AHMADEINEJAD: Well, thank you for that. You are like a CIA investigator. And you are . . .

PELLEY: I am just a reporter. I am a simple, average American reporter.

AHMADEINEJAD: This is not a Baghdad prison. Please, this is not a secret prison in Europe. This is not Abu Ghraib. This is Iran. I’m the president of this country. Well, I think that I’ve gone beyond what you’ve asked me, above and beyond. And I think that if you speak to your job as a reporter, what I have said so far, again, goes above and beyond what you ask me.

Go, Pelley.

Meryl Yourish on September 23, 2007 at 9:46 PM

Hmmm, let me guess:

1. Jooooos
2. Zionists
3. Jooooos
4. Booosh
5. Jooooos

Ya know, its real difficult to read this Jew-hating, terror-enabling, thug-worshipping t’head. He’s so nuanced.

Andy in Agoura Hills on September 23, 2007 at 9:50 PM

Must be Dictators week in NYC Im reading now that Hugo Chavez is due to address the UN Wensday.

William Amos on September 23, 2007 at 9:54 PM

Andy, you also forgot:
1. Right wingers
2. Neocons
3. Evangelical Christians

Then again, maybe the Jooooos are behind all of these groups too. Hmmm, tricky.

mjk on September 23, 2007 at 9:54 PM

No … he does not get to commemorate the martyrdom of the highjackers.

Kristopher on September 23, 2007 at 9:57 PM

I guess no one can say now that the Nutroots don’t have influence over political leadership – and not just in the USA.

Seriously – he’s probably got some smarmy Paris-educated, English-speaking 20-somethings locked in dungeon with an internet connection filtered to receive only looney-left blogs. They’re writing his American agenda for him.

Hannibal Smith on September 23, 2007 at 9:57 PM

Nineteen-year-old Ivy Leaguers will be throwing softballs.

Lord knows they can’t throw a football.

TexasDan on September 23, 2007 at 9:58 PM

Sounded like a Dem to me.

From now on:

AhmaDEMejad

BobH on September 23, 2007 at 10:04 PM

“I want to pay my respects to the Shahids who created at Ground Zero.”

baldilocks on September 23, 2007 at 10:05 PM

Imwearingadinnerjacketnutcase has lots of American
blood on his hands,this guys presence alone ,in New York,
at the Twin Towers site,is insult to injury.

Is there any proof anywhere that connects Ahmedinjad
to be the student ringleader of the hostage crisis.

Don’t you think that alone would bar this terrorist
from American soil,or at least you would hope so!

And finally this is what I get from Dinnerjacket,
It’s Americas fault,and to top it off hes using a page
from the Liberal handbook.
That is pit liberal against Republican,rich against poor,
another words hes claiming that a lot of Americans agree
with him,he continues the same game over and over,well
a lot of Americans agree with me.

Ya,Dinner jacket,who agrees with you Lib Moonbats!

canopfor on September 23, 2007 at 10:08 PM

anyone who says the leftist MSM, and groups like move on, code pinko and the run away crowed in congress isn’t giving aid and comfort of our enemies is full of Bull#$%^.

And this pos terrorist pig proved it with his own freaking words.

Mojack420 on September 23, 2007 at 10:10 PM

If he’s got the lefty lezbo’s swooning for him, then the code pinkos will be throwing perfumed bouquets at his feet.

pedestrian on September 23, 2007 at 10:11 PM

I’ll pray for that. I’d light up a cigar if that happened. That’d almost be as gratifying as the marcia/jan story right there.

lorien1973 on September 23, 2007 at 10:12 PM

Someone needs to ask him where he’s getting all those sweet Members Only jackets. Better check ebay for users with “Mahdi” in their names.

Hannibal Smith on September 23, 2007 at 10:12 PM

Why is it we still support and belong to the UN? IGNORANCE>?

Griz on September 23, 2007 at 10:16 PM

Go Pelly

Meryl Yourish on September 23,2007 at 9:46PM

Meryl Yourish,You showed a beautiful example
of Dinnerjacket,he must think hes the smartest man on the planet,and like the left,ask them a direct yes or no question,and they stare at you as if I cannot believe you asked me that!

canopfor on September 23, 2007 at 10:26 PM

How will the msm spin this tomorrow?

Mojack420 on September 23, 2007 at 10:28 PM

Once again we are witness to a little man taking up the mantel of Napoleon wanting to tell the world what is wrong and how to fix it.

But, just as Napoleon had his Waterloo, so too will this modern day version of a wannabe ruler of the world. He bases this on his religion tenets but, in reality, he’s just another run-of-the-mill ego maniac. And, as so many others of his kind in history have regretfully found, their mania was, in the long run, responsible for their own demise.

pocomoco on September 23, 2007 at 10:32 PM

They should have killed the diminutive piece of garbage, not interviewed him.

Warner Todd Huston on September 23, 2007 at 10:35 PM

Oh this guy will definitely pay respects at Ground Zero…He’ll pay his respects to the Muslim POS’s that flew the planes into the Towers.

I hope people piss on the Koran in front of him.

Tim Burton on September 23, 2007 at 10:41 PM

Move over Che…

I’ve decided to produce a bunch of T-shirts with Dinner Jackets face on them and sell them in Golden Gate Park, Hollywood and various Ivy League universities. The only problem will be to decide how to spend all the money I make.

Nosferightu on September 23, 2007 at 10:56 PM

I’m serious when I say that if President Bush allows Ahmadinejad to go to ground zero he will be placed next to Carter in my “Worst Presidents in History” box.

BadgerHawk on September 23, 2007 at 11:10 PM

He isn’t the problem. Billary already stated (and repeated on the talking head shows today) that before the ink on the ballots is dry she will send an envoy to begin talks.

Blue helmets for everyone are in the mail.

Limerick on September 23, 2007 at 11:51 PM

The Corner is reporting: WBNC in New York just reported that an Iranian foreign ministry spokesman said today that visiting Ground Zero “is on the president’s schedule.”

bnelson44 on September 24, 2007 at 12:09 AM

Did you hear him count off the liberal talking points?
1. Bush is killing young American boys and girls for oil.
2. Bush is wasting taxpayer dollars on this war.
3. Bush should be helping the victims of Katrina.
4. Bush is listening to US Citizens phone calls
5. 80% of Americans are against the war.

He sounds just like Harry Reid…

flagwaver on September 24, 2007 at 12:17 AM

I can’t come up with an appropriate level of expletives for this walking bilebag. Close behind him in my disgust are the useful idiots at Columbia who would give him a forum under the auspices of “debate and dialog.” You can’t debate with a madman; you’d be delusional to think you could. These willing tools are unbelivable and un-American.

Mallard T. Drake on September 24, 2007 at 12:23 AM

bnelson44 on September 24, 2007 at 12:09 AM

Oh, mayhaps the NYPD or whoever’s providing security “disappears” for coffee and donuts during Ahmadinejad’s visit to Ground Zero. Then perhaps something happens, like a cab driver forgets to tap the brakes(those cab drivers are nuts anyway).
Bloomberg is a freaking disgrace, if this visit happens. He’s the one who would be approving the visit. I miss Rudy – he probably would have told Ahmadinejad where to go and how to get there.

mjk on September 24, 2007 at 12:25 AM

Politician’s stop him? Not a chance.

This is just his way of showing that America is weak and stupid. He won’t go but just the ‘threat’ of it will put three to four inches in his shoe lifts.

Limerick on September 24, 2007 at 12:31 AM

I’m so excited about this..Just think, in 24 hours, we will all have a new appreciation for what it is that we did wrong to make our relationship with Iran go sour..In 24 hours, all will be peachy keen, because Bollinger is going to see to it that tough questions are asked…I am so looking forward to him Lee asking abadab about:

Students have effectively been silenced after the election of hard-line President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in 2005. Student activists have been banned from attending classes and reformist professors forced to retire as part of a campaign by hard-liners to silence opposition voices.

Students also complain that their families sporadically receive threatening phone calls from unidentified people warning them that the students would be expelled from the university if they continued their pro-democracy activities.

Pam on September 24, 2007 at 12:38 AM

He sounds just like Harry Reid…

flagwaver on September 24, 2007 at 12:17 AM

I think Ahmadinebinemajhad comments are like Christmas for Republican campaign adds, if they’ll have the guts to do it. Rudy still gets yelled at by the MSM if he tries to bring up 9-11. Imagine if he showed the towers collapsing in an add. The outrage.

Tomorrow is going to be an interesting day. There is going to be a lot of anger if Ahmadinebinadenajhad is allowed to rub our faces in it by visiting ground zero. It may galvanize support for the impending air strikes on Iran.

Ordinary1 on September 24, 2007 at 12:45 AM

Fars reports he’s meeting with 9/11 families and US politicians:

Ahmadinejad, who is due to address the UN General Assembly in New York and hold other meetings, said he would be meeting “intellectuals and independent US politicians” on his trip to Tehran’s arch foe.

Meetings with the survivors and bereaved families of the 9-11 incident, journalists and critics of the Bush administration are also included in Ahmadinejad’s itinerary.

amerpundit on September 24, 2007 at 1:07 AM

Look for something to happen on Oct 12th. I expect Mahmoud to give the obligatory 3 warning on this trip.

Gwillie on September 24, 2007 at 1:24 AM

First draft:

I want to test my ability to keep from snickering out loud pay my respects at Ground Zero, says Ahmadinejad — and also talk about how it was all your fault anyway “root causes”

MB4 on September 24, 2007 at 2:03 AM

If we have any Truthers commenting here (and I doubt it, I assume AP has purged us of them long ago, if there ever were any), I have a great question (IMO) for you:

If the all powerful Bushluminati was able to pull of 9/11, couldn’t they plant a sniper somewhere to take out Ahmadinejad and then “never find the shooter”? I mean, they made planes crash in to buildings after rigging them with explosives without anyone knowing (which was nothing short of magic, because it was impossible to do), they made at least one plane disappear and attacked the Pentagon with a missile and/or military plane, they made another plane disappear because as we know, one couldn’t have gone down in PA based on your expertise in examining a few photos. Somehow they disposed of those planes and their passengers. Somehow they made the fake phone calls (which were completely unnecessary. If there was a chance of you losers in your dorms catching them, why make fake calls at all… wouldn’t NO calls be better, especially since you all claim that real calls couldn’t have been made at those altitudes?). The Bushluminati brainwashed people in to becoming “eyewitnesses” so they would report a passenger plane hitting the Pentagon, etc. etc. etc.

The evil Bushluminati pulled all of that off, but they can’t take out this little weasel (using the scenario I described earlier)? That’s amazing.

RightWinged on September 24, 2007 at 3:45 AM

Oh, and when I said:

RightWinged on September 24, 2007 at 3:45 AM

I’m not even talking about covert ops in Iran… I’m saying when he stepped out of his vehicle in NYC.

RightWinged on September 24, 2007 at 3:47 AM

Instead of having those 19 year olds asking him those questions at Columbia, why not have some of the former hostages taken at the American Embassy in Tehran years ago, including the ones who can identify on sight Ahmadinejad as being one of the students who took over the embassy, be on the panel instead? For Ahmadinejad, it would be the reunion from hell. At that point, I would pay to see that plastic smile of his fall off of his face as the panel was introduced, and a nice ice cold sweat break out on his brow.

pilamaye on September 24, 2007 at 5:58 AM

Are there no MEN left in New York? I garrantee you that that bastard will NEVER step foot in my territory.

leanright on September 24, 2007 at 6:20 AM

He is looking New Yorkers square in the eye and telling them he intends to go to ground zero and piss all over it.
Way to go NY, invite him to speek, invite him to lunch, and invite him to f— you in the back side.
That bastard will see to it that you are treated just the way you deserve to be treated.

leanright on September 24, 2007 at 6:32 AM

Is there any men left in NY that has a clue of what “Death before dishonor” even means?
I would expect every firefighter and cop in the city to form a barracade to protect ground zero from that bastard.

leanright on September 24, 2007 at 6:47 AM

Seems to me that with Little Man strolling the streets of NYC, this would be a perfect time to launch the planes and cruise missiles. Why?

1) We gotta do it anyway.
2) Makes him look useless.
3) You can grab him and lock him up.

Just sayin’…

wccawa on September 24, 2007 at 7:16 AM

He is going to be very dissapointed when Hillary is elected and he asks Hillary to execute Pelly and she refuses (unless Pelly askes her about Whitewater or Rose billing).

Ineedadinnerjacket was amused at the reporter, because he knows he can lie and the reporter is the conduit.

right2bright on September 24, 2007 at 7:19 AM

By the time he leaves the Media will be calling Bush the Great Satan

tomas on September 24, 2007 at 8:17 AM

He sure knows how to push our buttons, huh? And Everyone just goes right along with it. The college is doing the same thing, telling the Bush admn. “you can’t tell us who to talk to”. That’s what this is all about. I hope some of you bigmouth New Yorkers will try to break the line and go after him. But that’ll never happen it’ll be all east coast yap, yap,yap BS.

LtE126 on September 24, 2007 at 8:33 AM

This is why we need to put Troofers in their place. Nutjobs like ImOnAMadJihad see them and think, “Well if these Americans believe it, it must be true.” Is there any question that their paranoid delusions give aid and comfort to the enemy.

“You need to stop asking me to cover this topic and start asking your doctor is Paxil is right for you”
-Bill Maher

BohicaTwentyTwo on September 24, 2007 at 8:40 AM

Somebody pop him.

Jaibones on September 24, 2007 at 8:41 AM

You can just feel the Left wanting to love this fascist. Anyone who stands opposed to Bush gets their hearts beating faster than a 16 year old with his first Playboy.

Halley on September 24, 2007 at 8:54 AM

Am I the only one that has noticed the pro-Ahmadinejad camp of Columbia students seem to be reading from same talking points that includes the word “dialogue” in about every other sentence? They can’t defend a nutjob that denies the deaths of six million, wants to eradicate Israel, was party to the Americans held hostage during the Carter administration, funds and equips those killing American troops in Iraq….. etc. So it is all about dialogue and how damned “intolerant” Americans are.

On a related note, I hope the rumors that the bastard gets his WTC visit are true. If the left thinks the public got worked up over the General Betray Us controversy, just standby.

highhopes on September 24, 2007 at 9:05 AM

This is simple . . . only those brain dead leftists at Columbia would pander to this murdering, America hating tyrant. And get off of the “free speech” crap, this slime has promised to kill us and destroy our Republic . Invoking the Constitution to defend and justify this despicable organism and the behavior of that insane univirsity is nonsense.

rplat on September 24, 2007 at 9:13 AM

ABC News just gave a news update….Dinnerjacket ‘is certain’ to face ‘a hostile crowd’ at Columbia and ‘face tough questions about the holocaust. What? No questions about EFP’s and IED’s? No questions about American troop deaths? No questions about why heavy water and not light water reactors? Oh yeah, only the important questions will be allowed.

Limerick on September 24, 2007 at 9:39 AM

It begins

tomas on September 24, 2007 at 10:34 AM

I expect Ahmadinejad to announce he will be entering the race for U.S. president, as a Democrat, today at Columbia.

coldshot on September 24, 2007 at 10:40 AM

AFP confirms:

Ahmadinejad appeared surprised by the storm over the wreath-laying, telling CBS television: “Why should it be insulting?” He said he would not insist on visiting the site if city officials could not arrange it.

But foreign ministry spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini insisted a visit to Ground Zero was still on the itinerary.

“The visit to the site of the twin towers to pay tribute to the victims is part of president Ahmadinejad’s program even if some people are trying to have it cancelled,” he said.

hat tip

bnelson44 on September 24, 2007 at 10:47 AM

1) We gotta do it anyway.
2) Makes him look useless.
3) You can grab him and lock him up.

Just sayin’…

wccawa on September 24, 2007 at 7:16 AM

You know I was thinking almost the exact same thing. I was thinking damn the very moment he lays the wreath at ground zero sure would be the perfect time for American Cruise missiles to be slamming into targets in Iran.

doriangrey on September 24, 2007 at 11:55 AM

“He sounds just like Harry Reid.” – FlagWaver

Hey Flag, have you ever noticed that you never see Harry Reid and Achmideen … Ahmedina … Ackmadeni … whatever the f*** his name is … at the same place at the same time?

Coincidence? I don’t think so!

Tony737 on September 24, 2007 at 11:57 AM

Yoni the Blogger, former IDF and frequent guest on Hugh Hewitt’s show, had the best line I’ve heard on this subject when told that Bollinger promised to ask “tough questions.”

“Tough questions!?!?!? Tough questions is you shoot him in the knee and ask him if it hurts!”

Dudley Smith on September 24, 2007 at 12:33 PM