Video: Obama’s new health care ad

posted at 6:10 pm on September 21, 2007 by Allahpundit

Worth flagging for one reason and one reason only — the brief shot of a photo of young Barry with his mother. McCain’s Vietnam ad featured his mother too to emphasize his longevity, but thanks to Jesse Jackson there’s some political risk to Obama in reminding voters what race his mother was. There’s also some political benefit, of course, although if the polls are right then it’s thankfully negligible. Good for him for not letting “authenticity” demagogues like Jackson and Sharpton cow him into dissembling.

Comments

Still an empty suit. *Yawn*

JayHaw Phrenzie on September 21, 2007 at 6:14 PM

I’m mixed race too, Scottish and Irish!

spec_ops_mateo on September 21, 2007 at 6:16 PM

JayHaw Phrenzie on September 21, 2007 at 6:14 PM

True. But props for not pandering to the Justice Brothers.

amerpundit on September 21, 2007 at 6:16 PM

I like the idea that everyone can have health care (who doesn’t like that idea at its core). I have to say I’m just a wee bit skeptical that his plan will cut costs, though.

My ultimate problem with government health care is that I won’t get my fair share back for the taxes I pay. I work out and eat healthy. I don’t want my tax dollars paying for heart surgeries for people that spent their entire lives ignoring painfully obvious medical advice.

BadgerHawk on September 21, 2007 at 6:19 PM

His mother was cute.

Alex K on September 21, 2007 at 6:44 PM

I’m mixed race too, Scottish and Irish!

I’m English and Irish–such angst, I can’t tell you.

Alex K on September 21, 2007 at 6:46 PM

BadgerHawk on September 21, 2007 at 6:19 PM

What insurance do you have. Mine doesn’t give me a rebate if I don’t use medical services. I must be paying someone else’s tab.

scooter on September 21, 2007 at 6:47 PM

I get so spluttering mad over all this. I believe we have unions to thank for the concept that we should all be endowed with health insurance, by an employer and now, god forbid, by the government.

Know what? Getting health care is a personal financial decision. Some folks can’t afford to get treatment X. That’s a hard thing, but the only way government care will change it will be to remove treatment X from the table. There! All done! Nirvana-like equality has been achieved.

TexasDan on September 21, 2007 at 6:50 PM

…she was more worried about paying her medical bills than getting well

I accept this, I have seen people go through it myself. But I have NEVER seen one of them demand that the government should coerce their neighbors to pay their bills for them.

RushBaby on September 21, 2007 at 6:59 PM

In Canada beer is twice as expensive than in the US, so are smokes (even more). I don’t pay 5 or 6 hundred dollars for health insurance a month because when I get sh!tfaced drinking beer, I am paying my insurance premium with the high tax on alcohol.

Also health care is not a profit making industry for investors in Canada so no money goes to investors demanding a return on peoples bad luck. You also get rid of a floor of insurance offices and employees from every hospital. And if you have a heart attack you don’t have to wait 12 weeks to see a doctor, despite the claptrap your fed in the states.

Yeah sure, you got the best and the most but that means squat if your not insured.

PS… there is no modifiers such as “pre existing condition” in Canada either.

BL@KBIRD on September 21, 2007 at 7:13 PM

I so want to make a joke here, but I don’t think I can pull it off without sounding like a racist a-hole.

Hollowpoint on September 21, 2007 at 7:14 PM

Strange that the most prominent people seen in this video are white.

The Ugly American on September 21, 2007 at 7:16 PM

I’m all for universal health care. I’m just not for doing it inefficiently and coercively. I defer to Fred on this issue. No, not THAT Fred. This one.

Big S on September 21, 2007 at 7:20 PM

PS… there is no modifiers such as “pre existing condition” in Canada either.

BL@KBIRD on September 21, 2007 at 7:13 PM

You get rid of offices of insurance companies and replace them with offices or government bureaucrats. Instead of insurance premiums, you pay for “free” healthcare through higher taxes.

Call your local hospital and ask how long it would take to get an MRI- one month? Two? Here in Minneapolis, your waiting time would be around couple days, if not the next day from any one of several facilities; even small town hospitals have an MRI How about specialty care like reconstructive joint surgery?

Yes, the uninsured are a problem here in the US- no one’s disputing that. However, it’s a problem better addressed with a rolled up newspaper than a nuclear weapon.

Hollowpoint on September 21, 2007 at 7:26 PM

Dude. That was a good spot. Perhaps there is some hope (not the way you think).

You see the Lib/Democrats are RACIST. My biggest fear is that WHEN they toss Barry to the curb, and Hilly disses him for VP, Dem/Lib apologist/traitors Sharpton and Jackson will ooze out and give them cover like the slimy slugs they are.

There is some hope that when Barry gets kicked to the curb, black folks might wake up. Not much, but some hope. What is needed is more clashes between Barry and the slugs. Perhaps even an all out dust-up (“what’d you call me sucka!”)

For that job, Barry might be the only candidate. Then we will need a conspiracy movement to reveal Lib/Dem racism.

I have a dream…

Agrippa2k on September 21, 2007 at 7:28 PM

BL@KBIRD on September 21, 2007 at 7:13 PM

A little talked about point that I think is important is how Canada and every other single payer country benefits from the current system here in the States. Because we have a for profit system we make the majority of the new drugs and medical technology that the rest of the world just picks up. Without incentive, innovation decreases, it’s simple economics.

And your government banks on people’s bad luck just as the insurance companies do. The most people your government treats, the more efficient they become at seeing patients, the more money it costs them. And to be perfectly honest, I trust myself to navigate me through the current system efficiently much more than I trust the government to.

BadgerHawk on September 21, 2007 at 8:08 PM

As long as his DNA came from Earth I don’t care what race he is……he is still a liberal.

Limerick on September 21, 2007 at 8:10 PM

So what is it about mixed race relationships that make them the current cats pajamas? Everywhere I look, there are references and encouragements to date outside your race. We got a “What we expect in kindergarten” pamphlet from the school a couple years ago, and from the picture on the front (a very good looking black man with his MUCH paler son), the best I could figure was that they expect you to learn how to nail a white chick in kindergarten.

What’s with this, anyway?

HerrMorgenholz on September 21, 2007 at 8:14 PM

My healthcare bill goes up each and every year, like TAXES..I wonder if its because I’m paying for all the dead beats dropping out anchors all over the place..and if I am,(yes) then I want to know who let them in the country in the first place?(a no brainer), and if it is who I think it might be(gov&elites), then they have the responsibility to pay for their errors, not me,not me, not me, me me me me me me me me me me me me..

Legions on September 21, 2007 at 8:29 PM

This is a tough one. I think you might have to consider the popularity of Obama is a direct result of acting “white” otherwise the left would have shown more support for the presidential runs of Al and Jesse.

Or is it that Obama isn’t acting too “white”, it’s just that Jesse acts too “black”? Either way, I think Jesse’s statement points out why Obama is popular and not vice versa.

mojowire on September 21, 2007 at 8:45 PM

isnt Walter Reed govt ran “health care” ? if our government cant run a hospital for vets effectively, why should we believe they can run the entire nations ?

palefaced on September 21, 2007 at 8:51 PM

heres somthing i belive picked up via hot air sometime ago.
for the realities of the government taking care of us and the real number of truly uninsured in America.

palefaced on September 21, 2007 at 9:00 PM

BL@KBIRD on September 21, 2007 at 7:13 PM

Nevermind how long you’ll have to wait for that care you’ll be needing soon after all that drinking and smoking. My tax dollars at work… thanks a lot.

Frozen Tex on September 21, 2007 at 9:19 PM

Well, I found some old receipts in some of my granddads stuff. There were doctor receipts for mere dollars. I also found a hospital receipt for approx $24. for 3 days in a hospital. This was back in the 30′s or 40′s. For every single case of someone worrying about their doctor bills, there is at least as many, if not more examples of someone worrying about whether they will be allowed to get surgery or treatment from the government doctor or dying due to socialized medicine. If I were a candidate,, now,, I realize I am not as smart as any of them,, I would start to prepare some ads, or at least begin researching in preparation for ads that could sing the sad sad song of socialized medicine. It is a sad song,,, socialized medicine kills. I am also tired of the attack on profit! I’d love to see the reaction some people would have if we just talked about eliminating all profit for everyone! Maybe we should all only be paid enough to pay our mortgages, food expenses and other necessary bills! No need for movie money, dinner money,, party money or vacation money,, that all comes from evil profits! We’d have the pure utopia all the elites have been dreaming about! I am sure all the Hollywood moonbats would support giving up there profits as well!!

JellyToast on September 21, 2007 at 9:49 PM

I had a momentary misread of the title of this thread. For a millisecond I thought it said Obama’s new wealth care ad.

Which we will need if we end up with government Health Care.

BadgerHawk on September 21, 2007 at 8:08 PM

Yeah, and aren’t we effectively subsidizing Canada’s prescription drugs because of their price controls?

Buy Danish on September 21, 2007 at 10:11 PM

I can’t help it. Everytime I see them do a little mix it up with the ‘I approved this message’ I’m reminded of this.

MirCat on September 21, 2007 at 11:17 PM

I don’t have the exact quote, or who said it, but it goes something like, “It’s amazing that those people who think we cannot pay for doctors, hospitals and pharmaceutical companies think we can pay for doctors, hospitals, pharmaceutical companies, and a government bureaucracy to administer it.”

mikeyboss on September 22, 2007 at 12:35 AM

I’m English and Irish–such angst, I can’t tell you.

Alex K on September 21, 2007 at 6:46 PM

I’m English, Scottish, Irish, and AMERICAN!

The drunken fistfights that occur in my head are truly awesome.

BKennedy on September 22, 2007 at 4:31 AM

Ins. companies need to police themselves. Giving small businesses the same rate advantages as the giant companies is a no-brainer, even if they lose a little money on their current price gouging methods…and if they will not at least try to solve the smallest of problems, then they get what they are going to deserve..Also why can’t we look at, and purchase ins. from out of state companies, what is this the old USSR around here..???? No need for the gov. at all, all these things should have been dealt with years ago..and now everyone wants to cry about the new USSR who will enforce what they could have done on their own..

Legions on September 22, 2007 at 11:00 AM