Video: McCain tells Code Pink, “We won’t choose to lose this time”

posted at 1:11 pm on September 21, 2007 by Allahpundit

From the NRA gathering in D.C. this morning. By “we” he must mean the GOP because if he’s talking about Americans generally, well…

Nice job by his web team getting this up so soon. Geraghty blogged it at 9:39 and it on YouTube by noon. It won’t help Maverick much, especially if Fred turned in the rock star performance Geraghty claims he did, but like I said the other day, it’s comforting to have a man of his stature out there responding to cretins like these.

Rudy braved the brickbats and turned out for the event too. It went … oddly.

Comments

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuudy. Put your phone on vibrate man, come on. I wonder if the crowd reaction to his speech was going so poorly he figured answering his phone couldn’t hurt. And why not at least pretend your wife said hi.

BadgerHawk on September 21, 2007 at 1:18 PM

McCain has had some real great moments on the campaign trail – at hte very least he’s helping to rehabilitate his image

Rudy at least made a strong pro 2nd amendment argument even if it went well, and Thompson brought down the house.

Defector01 on September 21, 2007 at 1:19 PM

….and Thompson brought down the house.

Shhhh..we need to keep this quiet. We don’t want anyone thinking Thompson might be popular with the NRA.

ChrisM on September 21, 2007 at 1:29 PM

One of the commenters to the Rudy article had it right. The call was a political stunt; apparently one which did not go over well.

Jezla on September 21, 2007 at 1:32 PM

Defector01 on September 21, 2007 at 1:19 PM

It’s going to take Lightyears more to rehabilitate his image for me.

What’s this “we” sh!t, John…you got a frog in your pocket?

tickleddragon on September 21, 2007 at 1:33 PM

Rudy at least made a strong pro 2nd amendment argument

See…That’s what I just can’t buy about RINO’s. They embody everything detestible about politicians. What guarantee do we the people have that this is now his actual position?

samuelrylander on September 21, 2007 at 1:35 PM

I’m not sure the phone call was a setup. If it was, she would’ve said something. When you watch Rudy, remember that the man has very little filter, and you’ll often catch him doing things during a press conference or speech that seem very strange.

Big S on September 21, 2007 at 1:43 PM

I think he was referring to stopping the measures in the senate to end the war. The last few days republican senators have held firm for victory in Iraq.

Complete7 on September 21, 2007 at 1:44 PM

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuudy. Put your phone on vibrate man, come on…

BadgerHawk on September 21, 2007 at 1:18 PM

It was – we found out who in that family wears the guns, pants, whatever…this during a gun conference? I like Rudy, but…the honeymoon is over and the campaign is on. Remember your head which contains the brain, dude.

Entelechy on September 21, 2007 at 1:46 PM

It’s going to take Lightyears more to rehabilitate his image for me.

What’s this “we” sh!t, John…you got a frog in your pocket?

tickleddragon

He’s had quite a few good conservative moments so he’s making progress. I didn’t say I was thinking he’s ronald reagan but he’s on the right track at least. Let’s see how long it lasts.

And you gotta admit that was a nice comeback

Defector01 on September 21, 2007 at 1:48 PM

We have to beat terrorists, and we have to beat Code Pink.

That pretty much says it all, doesn’t it?

Kensington on September 21, 2007 at 1:53 PM

Entelechy on September 21, 2007 at 1:46 PM

This is a stupid and minor point, but no it wasnt.

BadgerHawk on September 21, 2007 at 1:54 PM

Now Rudy is reversing his stance on the indefensible lawsuits against gun manufacturers… lawsuits he himself brought.

Sorry Rudy- too little, too late.

Hollowpoint on September 21, 2007 at 1:58 PM

Rudy is pathetic. How obvious was THAT?! If that doesn’t solidify in the minds of conservatives that this guy is putting on an act, nothing will. Even the acting was bad!

Gregor on September 21, 2007 at 2:01 PM

Big S on September 21, 2007 at 1:43 PM

There’s a very good reason for this. He’s a strange man.

Gregor on September 21, 2007 at 2:04 PM

We have to beat terrorists, and we have to beat Code Pink.

We should spend whatever it costs to embed Code Pink with Al-Qaeda.

saint kansas on September 21, 2007 at 2:12 PM

I generally like Rudy. I do not like anything I’ve seen of Judith so far, though. I would not eliminate a candidate because his spouse is undesirable (though a person’s choice of spouse says a lot about him/her). However, Rudy really needs to minimize Judith as much as possible in this campaign. Republican women like me tend not to identify with her “type.” Answering that phone was a bad move on Rudy’s part–not just because Judith is not likable, but because it was just freaking rude.

aero on September 21, 2007 at 2:16 PM

Agree 100%. . . it was like he said, ‘this meeting isn’t as important as I am.’ Or, ‘The NRA isn’t significant enough to me.’ There is NO WAY I would have answered that phone call. I go to meetings all the time and when I’m with someone if my phone rings, it waits until I’m finished.

Rudy was way to flippant there to a group that questions his authenticity anyway.

ThackerAgency on September 21, 2007 at 2:32 PM

This is a stupid and minor point, but no it wasnt.

BadgerHawk on September 21, 2007 at 1:54 PM

…because you’re taking it literally…

Entelechy on September 21, 2007 at 2:54 PM

Many candidates mentioned gun rights, but few put it in terms of “what is important — liberty and first principles”. Those first principles start with a strict constructionist view of the US Constitution and from there we start.

Sort of bypasses nurse ratchet and socialized medicine with all the freebies included.

Fred was the best. Huckabee next. Note to Rudy, when you are trying to convince people of your promise to look at their side of an issue with sincerity, a staged phone call won’t do it. I notice Rudy doesn’t pay much attention to the advantages of Freedom and Liberty, typical of a NE liberal.

tarpon on September 21, 2007 at 3:03 PM

We should spend whatever it costs to embed Code Pink with Al-Qaeda.

saint kansas on September 21, 2007 at 2:12 PM

I’ll gladly donate to that! I think we should tell AQ that this is what your 72 virgins will look like so perhaps you may want to rethink your strategy. I predict that hundreds of jihadists will run screaming into the hills never to be heard from again. Maybe Code Pink is our secret weapon?!

dbdiva on September 21, 2007 at 3:11 PM

Sen. McCain was being interviewed last week..He told the interviewer that (in so many words)(and not a quote here)he expects to benefit if the war in Iraq goes well..I’m glad to hear, he has his priorities well thought out…

Legions on September 21, 2007 at 7:53 PM

Good comment by Senator McCain. He deserves credit for standing strong on the Iraq War.

Phil Byler on September 21, 2007 at 8:20 PM