Friday idiot: MIT student arrested at Logan airport with a fake bomb

posted at 3:16 pm on September 21, 2007 by Bryan

Blogging and reading up on events as much as I do, there are days when I just have to scratch my head and ask “What is wrong with people?” I did that today after reading this story.

A college student with a fake bomb strapped to her chest was arrested at gunpoint Friday at Logan International Airport, officials said.

Star Simpson, 19, had a computer circuit board, wiring and a putty that later turned out to be Play-Doh in plain view over a black hooded sweat shirt she was wearing, said State Police Maj. Scott Pare, the commanding officer at the airport.

More details from the Boston Globe.

Star Simpson, 19, was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and approached an airport employee in Terminal C at 8 a.m. to inquire about an incoming flight from Oakland, according to Major Scott Pare of the State Police. She was holding a lump of what looked like putty in her hands. The employee asked about the plastic circuit board on her chest, and Simpson walked away without responding, Pare said.

Because of her choice of hardware and her actions, she almost got herself killed and now faces some serious charges involving carrying a hoax device.

A couple of the 9-11 planes originally took off from Logan. Now here’s this presumably bright but also presumably leftist student sporting a hoax bomb at that airport. What was the point? Was she just trying to illustrate the violence inherent in the system? Was it “performance art” gone wrong? Or is she just another addle-brained fool?

On Simpson’s personal website at MIT, she says she is studying computers and enjoys tinkering in a student-run machine shop.

“In a sentence, I’m an inventor, artist, engineer, and student, I love to build things and I love crazy ideas,” the website says.

“Crazy ideas,” indeed. What is wrong with people?

Update: This is apparently her website (cached version here), though I can’t get it to load at the moment. Evidently she’s into robotics.

Update: This story has video of Simpson’s court hearing.

Comments

She should have been tasered!

Dr.Cwac.Cwac on September 21, 2007 at 3:20 PM

Don’t tase me bro, don’t tase me!!11!!!eleven!!

phineas g. on September 21, 2007 at 3:22 PM

She’ll be getting her own TeeVee show out of this in a couple of months I’ll wager.

Sgt.Khe Sahn

1GooDDaDDy on September 21, 2007 at 3:22 PM

Bryan

She should have been shot. The fact that she wasn’t just says that a real suicide bomber could maneuver to a target-rich environment and blow himself/herself up there, without worrying about being deterred much by law enforcement. Suicide bombers are a whole different game that we have not even come close to adjusting to, yet.

“Crazy ideas,” indeed. What is wrong with people?

They worship “crazy ideas” because they’re not smart enough to be able to distinguish between genius and idiocy. To them anything original is good, even if it’s original just because it was too stupid for anyone to do before. The mediocre mind’s concept of genius. Sad.

progressoverpeace on September 21, 2007 at 3:22 PM

Nah, her lawyer will blame MTV Jackass. She could not tell the difference in being a jackass and a normal human.

StuLongIsland on September 21, 2007 at 3:24 PM

Just begging for attention, regardless of how it affects other people.
The world is full of so many brats these days, or so it seems. sheesh
I blame Dr. Spock. ha

bridgetown on September 21, 2007 at 3:24 PM

**** for brains. It is all about their ‘rihts’, you see. Amazing how these bugs don’t think about the ‘rihts’ of others to question your intent, or your sanity.

Limerick on September 21, 2007 at 3:24 PM

I just have to scratch my head and ask “What is wrong with people?”

Star Simpson: What’s in a name?
Star – this one being not too bright in the universe
Simpson – as in Homer

Kini on September 21, 2007 at 3:26 PM

On second thought…….looking for a payday.

Limerick on September 21, 2007 at 3:28 PM

Well,
I guess this means that ham radio operators will no longer dare wear their home made led ‘blinkies’ on their hats, and their name tags as they cruze the hamfest flea market.

Yes, I know. Ninety nine percent of you reading this post will have no clue what I’ve posted here.

Perhaps if we also wear a sign that reads, “I am not wearing a bomb”, we could continue the practice?

See you at Dayton.

rockhauler on September 21, 2007 at 3:28 PM

Shoot her before she breeds.

What kind of a parent names their child Star?

Bunch of Hippies.

1sttofight on September 21, 2007 at 3:30 PM

She said it was “art”.

Well if that’s the case, then I guess a bullet to her underused brain could be considered “art” too. Airport security would just be making an artistic statement that bringing bombs (fake or real) into an airport draws a strong response.

Seriously- I wouldn’t fault the airport cops a single bit for shooting her in the head on the spot; were it a real bomb any other action could’ve resulted in her detonating it.

What’s her next “art” performance going to be? Walking into a bank waving around a replica firearm?

Hollowpoint on September 21, 2007 at 3:30 PM

Over on LGF they just posted about a nail bomb that went off in a car parked outside a school in Liverpool.
Of course the Kos Kiddies think this is just artistic expression.
Yup just keep thinking it is all fun and games. It is time for people to grow up and start acting like adults.

LakeRuins on September 21, 2007 at 3:31 PM

She should spend the next five years in prison for this. Let’s not forget that accidents happen, and had deadly force been used, a stray bullet could have killed someone with more to live for than this brain-dead stunt.

I look forward to hearing what charges she’ll face. At the very least, MIT should give her the boot.

What in hell is wrong with college students these days?! Everybody wants their YouTube moment, even at the potential cost of their own life!

thejackal on September 21, 2007 at 3:31 PM

Wasn’t it Boston where the guerrilla marketing led-wired-posters stirred up quite a scare earlier this year?

I’m thinking this electronics prodigy is supremely fascinated that people can get so worked up over a circuit board and wires. Picture a 2 year old holding a toy with a big red button, that when pressed instantly gets Mommy’s or Daddy’s attention. There might as well be super glue on that button.

deesine on September 21, 2007 at 3:34 PM

She should have been shot.

Never thought of that, but that’s an excellent point. A female suicide bomber would have a greater chance of success. I’m sure this hasn’t gone un noticed in the bowels of the world.

Another member of the dumbest generation ever.

reaganaut on September 21, 2007 at 3:34 PM

Win a date with Star Simpson and learn the latest in computer fashion!

Kini on September 21, 2007 at 3:35 PM

Written on the back of the sweatshirt in what appeared to be gold magic marker was the phrase “socket to me” and below that was written “Course VI,” which refers to the electrical engineering and computer science program at MIT.

She wanted to “stand out in the crowd on career day” according to the news reporter on the video.

OK, cool, no problem, I can accept that. Nothing to see here, move along.

RushBaby on September 21, 2007 at 3:35 PM

That waste of DNA should have been shot. If it had been for real, the delay could have cost lives.

Splashman on September 21, 2007 at 3:36 PM

reaganaut on September 21, 2007 at 3:34 PM

I don’t believe there are foot baths at Logan…., yet.

There is Cheers just before security and Legal Seafood just beyond security.

Kini on September 21, 2007 at 3:37 PM

Perhaps she was failing the course and needed an excuse?

Kini on September 21, 2007 at 3:40 PM

A MIT student? She’s got to be kidding!

I seriously doubt this “moron” will learn anything other than how to taunt a guard while she is in lock up.

I’m just so flabbergasted at the stupidity of this person, I can’t think of anything good to say!!!!

JohnnyD on September 21, 2007 at 3:42 PM

It was only luck she did it before the last date for course withdrawal. The parents will need that money for the lawyer.

Dusty on September 21, 2007 at 3:44 PM

She said it was art, and was apparently going to pick someone up (as opposed to flying herself), so I can almost believe “never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.”

I’d like to see a picture of it, and see if it looks as much like a bomb as the Aqua Teen Hunger Force signs did. (Not knocking security. They did what they had to do.)

The article I read this morning, hilariously, said “she wanted to stand out on career day.” Heh. Very nearly a short career.

Tanya on September 21, 2007 at 3:45 PM

Evidently she’s into robotics.

And she’s single? Let’s fix her up with Allah.

saint kansas on September 21, 2007 at 3:46 PM

I can’t think of anything good to say!!!!

JohnnyD on September 21, 2007 at 3:42 PM

If you don’t have anything nice to say, come sit by me!

RushBaby on September 21, 2007 at 3:46 PM

She ignored the original questions from airport employees to explain the device. She had no respect for them or their well founded concerns. Evidently she had a change of heart when she had M-16s pointed at her head and big men yelling at her to put her arms in the air. I wonder if the police would have really shot her if she continued to ignore them? I’m glad she didn’t get shot, but if she was dumb enough to ignore them I hope to God they would flood her head with bullets. If not then we are in trouble.

Zetterson on September 21, 2007 at 3:47 PM

Being intelligent and being smart do not always go together.

That is why when someone says “they graduated at the top of their class” I wince…so what?

You can bet she was one of the top students in her high school.

right2bright on September 21, 2007 at 3:47 PM

Evidently she’s into robotics.

Bry, better pass this on to AP, then, for followup.

eeyore on September 21, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Tanya
There are pics in Bryan’s links

RushBaby on September 21, 2007 at 3:48 PM

oh, saint kansas beat me to it.

eeyore on September 21, 2007 at 3:49 PM

The idiot was lucky she wasn’t shot on sight.

rplat on September 21, 2007 at 3:50 PM

There are pics in Bryan’s links

RushBaby on September 21, 2007 at 3:48 PM

Thanks, RushBaby. That wasn’t what I pictured from the description, at all. I have a lamp made from circuitboards and flashy lights, and it actually is art. That actually looks like it could be a bomb.

Tanya on September 21, 2007 at 3:52 PM

They need to throw the book at her. These kind of stunts are not humerous and people could get killed. She’s lucky she wasn’t shot. Being a MIT student, she isn’t stupid. She knew what she was doing. Now she should suffer the consequences.

katieanne on September 21, 2007 at 3:53 PM

AP ain’t got a chance with this one, and she’s not going to have kids unless she goes the Rosie and/or Melissa Etheridge route.

angryoldfatman on September 21, 2007 at 3:53 PM

Being a MIT student, she isn’t stupid.

Never underestimate the absentmindedness of engineers. And I say that as one.

Tanya on September 21, 2007 at 3:54 PM

The Rethuglicans have gotten rid of all my civil liberties, and there’s not even one shred of the Constitution left! And now they’re crushing the last remannts of artistic expression! I…I…huh?

Oh, my. I clicked on that Kos link and….something happened.

eeyore on September 21, 2007 at 3:55 PM

The point abouit homicide-bombers is well taken. I think they already have a device that can sniff or detect exlposives. That’s probably next at entrances even before you get into a terminal. Like the creatures in Scotland tried a few weeks ago. To set oneself off at a strategic airport would cerainly curtail traffic and screw things up for a while.

countywolf on September 21, 2007 at 3:57 PM

Hey man, it was a public airport, and she didn’t actually threaten anybody, so the cops had no right to even approach her, let alone with firearms. She should have been allowed to express herself and her opinions and then leave when she was done.

Don’t tase her, bro!

saint kansas on September 21, 2007 at 3:59 PM

We went to an air show on a naval air station last weekend. Loons outside protesting the Blue Angels, and plenty of security armed with semi and fully automatic weapons. These wack jobs have to have it explained to them that if they draw fire by playing jihad, nobody at the airport or event will care.

My vehicle was searched entering the base, and it was OK with me.

Hening on September 21, 2007 at 4:01 PM

Heh – I made a stupid comment about removing the ink cartridges from a photo printer I was hand carrying
“because I didn’t want it to explode all over”. Needless
to say, I almost missed my flight because of it. It took
1/2 hour to convince them that I meant I didn’t want the
ink to leak all over the printer and inside of my bag, and
that it was an extremely poor choice of words. Yikes.

This act was so purposeful and so … arrogant, that it at
least condones a full and invasive body cavity search (which
I hope she had to go through), jail time, and a dismissal
from MIT.

But you know, it’s all because there was no terrorist attack
on 9/11. It was all a government conspiracy.

And it’s Art! dammit, ART!!!!1!11!!!

Timothy S. Carlson on September 21, 2007 at 4:02 PM

I can’t get over how easy it was for her to walk right in with an apparent bomb on her chest in plain sight without being challenged.

After a Massachusetts Port Authority official notified State Police about 8 a.m., troopers tracked Simpson down outside Terminal C

So nobody tried to stop her until after the cops had been called, spent time in transit and then track her down because nobody apparently knew where she was inside the terminal? Un-frikkin-believable!

Guardian on September 21, 2007 at 4:02 PM

“Never underestimate the absentmindedness of engineers. And I say that as one.”
[Tanya on September 21, 2007 at 3:54 PM]

And as shown here, makes overestimating our communication skills a terribly dangerous combination for ourselves.

Dusty on September 21, 2007 at 4:03 PM

I think we need to have a shoot-first-and-read-the-myspace-page-for-clues-later policy for everyone carrying putty and wearing electronic devices.

TexasDan on September 21, 2007 at 4:03 PM

No political performance art is complete without the taser. It adds such a critical presence to the sound layer, allowing the artist to more fully explore their emotional landscape.

deesine on September 21, 2007 at 4:06 PM

Ah – she’s from Hawaii. Where’s the friggin’ Dog when you
need him?

Timothy S. Carlson on September 21, 2007 at 4:07 PM

I sat in a terminal this week, in which I could see the front doors of the building from the gate at which i sat. Maybe 40 yards away. How hard would it be for a determined group to storm the front door at boarding time and end up, with weapons, on a fueled aircraft?

Airport security will be a joke until the day we stop having to send our self-defense devices along with our checked baggage.

TexasDan on September 21, 2007 at 4:07 PM

Oh, no, the Mooninites are attacking Boston again! When will these clowns ever learn common sense? They used to have announcements at the train stations, “If you see something, say something.” They grew annoying in the same manner as the Head-On commercial.

I don’t see how anyone could not have noticed her wearing the get-up on the train. If she lived in Cambridge, she would have taken the Red Line at Kendall/MIT, gotten off at Park Street, (walking underneath a rather long hallway), to the Blue Line to take the train to the airport. Then in order to get to the terminals, they have a shuttle bus to take you to certain terminals.

Then again, some people in Boston are clueless.

kiakjones on September 21, 2007 at 4:07 PM

a shoot-first-and-read-the-myspace-page-for-clues-later policy

TexasDan on September 21, 2007 at 4:03 PM

LOL. Excellent, Dan.

progressoverpeace on September 21, 2007 at 4:10 PM

For all we hear about the moonbattery of places like San Fran and Portland, those dumps have nothing on Hawaii. Whether it’s the aging 60′s surfer haolies or the radicalized local boy and girls like Star there, there’s some genuine crazy lying around.

Blacklake on September 21, 2007 at 4:16 PM

I think she plagiarized Osama’s resume.

Guardian on September 21, 2007 at 4:23 PM

One of OJ’s errant children? I blow myself up too. /jk

baldilocks on September 21, 2007 at 4:24 PM

I’d blow myself up too

baldilocks on September 21, 2007 at 4:24 PM

I think someone needs to teach this idiot girl what “a sentence” is. MIT? Really? She was obviously an Affirmative Action beneficiary.

progressoverpeace on September 21, 2007 at 4:30 PM

Apparently, even MIT has a short bus.

Jim Treacher on September 21, 2007 at 4:30 PM

Let’s be realistic for a minute…
Nobody here should really believe she’ll be prosecuted in Boston or anywhere else in Massachusetts for anything substantive. Her website and MySpace and Facebook pages will get millions of hits. She is now a celebrity. She will receiving fawning attention for weeks from media and peer alike.
Logan airport security will be portrayed as reactionary and mean spirited towards a young genius whose only so-called crime was dissent against an unelected president fighting an illegal war. Had the guards used any amount of force on this person, they would be suspended and investigated by multiple governmental and private litigation agencies conducting criminal and civil lawsuits.
The cops are criminals and the sinners are saints–that’s how it’s always going to be until American traditionalists and Republicans start spending their money on TV ads, video game development, movie productions, and songwriting to influence and inspire a new generation.
Conservatives cannot discount the influence of the “artist” on a generation anymore.

We have to nurture, support, and PAY for our own artists while refusing to pay for any leftist “art” or we are screwed.

ScottMcC on September 21, 2007 at 4:32 PM

Probably, but wouldn’t this be federal?

Blacklake on September 21, 2007 at 4:38 PM

I think she was getting drunk with Teddy when she came up
with this idea…

Did she get a ride to the airport from Ted? If so, she’s
lucky to be alive.

Timothy S. Carlson on September 21, 2007 at 4:39 PM

“And she’s lucky to be in a cell as opposed to the morgue.”

Heh.

Nothing to see here she’s just artsy-fartsy.
MIT = Mindless Interpretational Terrorism

Brat on September 21, 2007 at 4:41 PM

I have many things to say to her, but I want this to be the first….

Get thee to a hair salon!

Pulchritudinous Patriot on September 21, 2007 at 4:52 PM

is that Liono from the Thundercats?

patriot2001 on September 21, 2007 at 4:56 PM

How many people walked by her and said nothing out of fear of appearing ‘Islamophobic’ or ‘insensitive’? If she’d made one wrong move, her head would be ventilated. Honestly, I wouldn’t blame the cops if they’d shot her on sight.

She should be sterilized before she pollutes the next generation.

ticticboom on September 21, 2007 at 5:08 PM

WTF is up with that doggy hair?

Jaibones on September 21, 2007 at 5:13 PM

I have many things to say to her, but I want this to be the first….

Get thee to a hair salon!

Pulchritudinous Patriot on September 21, 2007 at 4:52 PM

Yeah, screw the fake bomb, why is she wearing what appears to be a small sheep on her head in that picture?

ReubenJCogburn on September 21, 2007 at 5:15 PM

ReubenJCogburn on September 21, 2007 at 5:15 PM

Easy. Lab accident.

RushBaby on September 21, 2007 at 5:24 PM

Let me beat the libs to the race card.

And let me ask those folks, here at HotAir, who tried to downplay the whole scare in Boston last year where those two assbags put lite brights on bridges etc., if they feel the same way about this? I was shocked that so many here blamed Boston officials, and not those 2 losers, for the chaos caused there that day, and at how pathetically irrational the arguments in support of that position were.

Anyway, for those who attacked authorities in that instance, I’m curious if you feel the same way in this instance?

RightWinged on September 21, 2007 at 5:25 PM

saint kansas – that AP/robotics riff was a tiny bit cruel, and an awful lot funny!

I am glad she didn’t get shot for a couple of reasons – I wouldn’t want some police officer feeling guilt over shooting someone like that, and hopefully, she’ll serve as shining example of stupiditiy, without becoming a martyr in some kooks minds.

major john on September 21, 2007 at 5:36 PM

She (is the “she” part confirmed? Photographic evidence is inconclusive) certainly should have been shot. Immediately and repeatedly.

Thank God she wasn’t. Imagine the triumphant Leftist screeching.

In fact, do we know that that wasn’t exactly her intention? To die as a martyr to the cause of collective suicide by dhimmituide? To call attention to the xenophobic hatred inherent to self-defense and sovereignty, to expose the jackbooted thuggery of the Homeland Security Department?

Just guessing. And man, it is easy to slip into moonbat mode if you abandon reason, logic, and maturity. For a second in that last paragraph I was ready to don some pink and go burn a flag or something.

Oh – one more thing: if someone in the next couple months walks into Logan (or another airport) with a real bomb and security hesitates to shoot the bomber specifically because of this hoax … and people die as a result … I’ll personally track this psychotic zombie down and shoot her myself.

I’ll call it art.

Professor Blather on September 21, 2007 at 5:41 PM

Tanya on September 21, 2007 at 3:52 PM

Uh, no. Actually it looks like one of these with some of these with some of these and one of these.
It doesn’t look like a bomb at all. It looks like just what it is, which is probaly why so many people who saw it recognized it for what it was.

In fact I have them all right here on my desk as I write this comment. Do you think I should be arrested for having ‘fake bomb making components?’

rockhauler on September 21, 2007 at 5:52 PM

OK, now we know you can get a bomb into logan. How come no one set aboot her before she got that far?

Second, if those two dopey hairbags had been treated a bit harder this probably wouldn’t have happened.

Third, she should be disembowelled, Terminal C is a nightmare without her stupid shit making it worse. Ass clown.

Alden Pyle on September 21, 2007 at 5:52 PM

rockhauler on September 21, 2007 at 5:52 PM

Right. For what it was.

And it was …?

Ah. Strange electronics attached to Play-Doh, worn on someone’s chest, in an international airport. Of course. I would have recognized it, too … as, uh, what again?

Oh. Art? A take-home engineering project, conducted at the airport, affixed to the chest?

Mmm-kay.

Do people wear electronics and Play-Doh in your neighborhood a lot? Some new kind of bling I haven’t seen in the rap videos yet, perhaps?

Inquiring minds want to know.

rockhauler on September 21, 2007 at 5:52 PM

Of course not.

But if you attach those components to some Play-Doh, wear it on your chest, and wander around the nearest airport … of course you should be arrested.

Or shot.

Perhaps not in that order.

Professor Blather on September 21, 2007 at 6:16 PM

Let me guess what will happen next, the ACLU will step in and defend her right to wear an artistic representation of a bomb in public.

Irenaeus on September 21, 2007 at 6:17 PM

RightWinged on September 21, 2007 at 5:25 PM

I feel the same for this story as I did for that one. Going by written accounts I agree 100% with authorities. After later seeing an actual picture of the silly non threatening device I question the common sense of everyone involved. These people would arrest you because they think this is a bomb:
and your kid is holding the trigger device:

Resolute on September 21, 2007 at 6:20 PM

^^^^^^^^^
let me point out if her intention is to make it look like a bomb she is still the biggest moron ever

Resolute on September 21, 2007 at 6:21 PM

I blame her colorist.
Take heed Andrew Levy.

Stephen M on September 21, 2007 at 6:30 PM

Professor Blather on September 21, 2007 at 6:16 PM

According to the reports cited in the post, the play dough was not attached to the circuit board. She was holding it in her hands.

How much play dough? Report doesn’t say. Golf ball sized? We don’t know.

So now you want to shoot on sight, anyone holding a golf ball in their hands at the airport? Just to be safe.

rockhauler on September 21, 2007 at 7:13 PM

I agree with many of you, she should have been shot.
St. Play D’oh has a nice ring to it.

Canadian Infidel on September 21, 2007 at 7:23 PM

Professor Blather on September 21, 2007 at 6:16 PM

Actually, yes I do know guys who wear electronic name tags with LEDs that blink out their radio call sign in morse code. We think it’s cool. But we prefer the home made look, rather then a commercial variety like this one:

rockhauler on September 21, 2007 at 7:30 PM

She shoulda been given a few forties…

Ochlan on September 21, 2007 at 7:47 PM

Isn’t that a picture of Ruffio from Hook?
You know, the lovable leader of the children of Neverland after Peter grows up into Robin Williams?

VolMagic on September 21, 2007 at 8:03 PM

An egg-sized amount of plastic explosive is enough to send the wearer to kingdom come and kill anybody around her.

Simply confronting her and telling her to stop is pointless as she can detonate while standing still. Shoot to kill is the only wise move.

jihadwatcher on September 21, 2007 at 8:21 PM

Was she just trying to illustrate the violence inherent in the system?

now thats just to funny .

Mojack420 on September 21, 2007 at 8:39 PM

She probably get booked at all the lib talk shows. Then she’ll spout off a bunch of “truther” and anti-Bush nonsense (btw, she looks like a codepinker/truther type). She’ll argue that she was proving a larger point. *Yawn*………

nottakingsides on September 21, 2007 at 9:45 PM

Bit of a overreaction. Thankfully no one hurt.

scooter on September 21, 2007 at 9:54 PM

Hmmmm! With all the brainiac qualifications her lawyer cited, I wonder if they looked in her dorm room for a Manifesto signed by Star T.K. Simpson

Helloyawl on September 21, 2007 at 9:58 PM

Ha! That video is great. “Not only did she have the circuit breaker on her chest, but police say she was also carrying a lump of clay which could have been a detonator

It’s amazing that reporter is still alive, given that most kitchens have forks and electrical outlets.

“Simpson had a total disregard for her environment: an airport, post 9/11

Are there any pre 9/11 airports out there? That’d be refreshing. I’d be able to bring toothpaste. Pilots would be able to bring guns. I wouldn’t have to get there three hours before my flight.

Mark Jaquith on September 21, 2007 at 10:20 PM

Tanya on September 21, 2007 at 3:52 PM

Well with the leds, who knows what it says when lit up or what it does. I’ve had toys like what she had on the shirt.

Never underestimate the absentmindedness of engineers. And I say that as one.

Tanya on September 21, 2007 at 3:54 PM

QFT Back when I worked in a computer store putting them together, half my time spent was looking for my screw driver . . which was always in my back pocket.

deesine on September 21, 2007 at 4:06 PM

sigh, she wasn’t saying that it was performance art. The Shirt was the art piece.

As for explaining it, I hate explaining geek things to non geeks. It’s tedious, impossible, and mostly embarrassing.

rockhauler on September 21, 2007 at 5:52 PM

It’s amazing how many people are jumping on this not having the slightest clue. Maybe someone should hear her explain what it does.

This is boston people. When they see a cartoon character flipping them off they think it looks like a bomb. Who was the commenter who said that only in Batman do the bad guys put blinky lights on bombs?

rockhauler on September 21, 2007 at 7:30 PM

You terrorist! /s

For the reaction of the police, they did what they should have done and it played out the way it should have with them Not shooting someone who had a lack of common sence when dealing with an airport.

IF SHE REALLY WERE A LEFTY SHE WOULD HAVE BEEN ACTING LIKE TAZER BOY. She didn’t.

- The Cat

P.S. Most of the commenters just lost their geek creds.

MirCat on September 21, 2007 at 10:45 PM

Art,so a gadget that looks a bomb could be considered as
an artists expession,like say a crusifix in a jar of urine!

canopfor on September 21, 2007 at 11:36 PM

Don’t forget she’s Hawaiian, and looks to be at least half native Hawaiian or otherwise Polynesian. That makes her a bonafide minority victim of US imperialist oppression herself! The girl’s got moonbat media darling status written all over her.

Blacklake on September 21, 2007 at 11:47 PM

An act like this requires a special kind of stupid.

Maxx on September 22, 2007 at 12:14 AM

I think she wanted to one up the dude don’t taze me idiot.
Oh god please don’t let those two breed.

Mojack420 on September 22, 2007 at 2:51 AM

HTF does anyone know what bomb looks like these days?

She should never have been allowed in the terminal. PC or worry about being prosecuted let this happen.

davod on September 22, 2007 at 4:30 AM

Shoot her before she breeds.

1sttofight on September 21, 2007 at 3:30 PM

She does seem to have a horribly misguided understanding of the Darwin Award.

And it seems this:

“I wish we had a charge in Louisiana Boston for aggravated ignorance, because this is a classic case,”…

Applies to this thread as well.

soundingboard on September 22, 2007 at 5:07 AM

Living in Hawaii, allow me to apologize on behalf of the ‘Aloha State’.

With our school system, I am surprised that Ms. Star Simpson was able to make it into MIT and would have been proud of her accomplishments. However, her recent actions cast a long shadow on Hawaii.

Look closely into the face and eyes and you see a truly confused person who currently does not actually know who she is (glazed over eyes and unnatural hair-really appears to be a mixed up poi person). I hope she does not claim OJ as a relative to justify her actions.

If she speaks in ‘pigen’ we may have been a quota entrant. If coherent, than she has been infected by a Professor with antisocial thought that needs to be removed via a lobotomy.

MSGTAS on September 22, 2007 at 10:01 AM

Another instant a$$ moment by yet another member of the “ALL ABOUT ME!” generation.If this filth is any indication of what our country is coming to,they don’t deserve better than the Clinton B***h for president.
I,however, helped raise two hard working conservative childeren who are worth fighting for. So the fight goes on for me.
Someone ought to b***h slap that brat and her parents.

leanright on September 22, 2007 at 10:46 AM

The BDS exerts itself in myriad of ways. I recently went through security at the San Diego airport. It was unusually busy. A young couple in front of me, who looked like students, were fussing the entire time. Their t-shirts displayed all sorts of liberal give-aways. He, repeatedly “Those who would trade freedom for security deserve neither”. She, being equally liberal but a woman “…please, just behave yourself long enough to make it through here”. He, grumbling “this is a Nazi state”. The cycle repeats itself.

A young and quite rotund security agent shouts out, in a deep voice, “all liquids, gels, bla, bla, bla…” The bds’d male “what a system oaf”. I observe the tragicomedy quietly, knowing full well that forced behavior is to follow.

They arrive at the station. She complies fully and goes first, he refuses to take off his shoes (winter style matched with shorts). The agent tells him politely but solemnly what to do. He finally takes them off, throws them quite roughly onto the band, and walks through. The agent selects him for a more detailed check-up. His body language speaks volumes. She’s furious at him and the system.

The rest of us go buy coffee, read, and have a fairly good day.

Entelechy on September 22, 2007 at 2:56 PM

Then again, some people in Boston are clueless.

kiakjones on September 21, 2007 at 4:07 PM

Don’t forget the MBTA Police station in that tunnel from Park St. to Downtown Crossing. Wouldn’t you think the T cops would be watching people walk by.

Mooseman on September 22, 2007 at 6:13 PM